highway of the town running through it. Here was soon the leading
village of the town. George Richardson built a hotel here, known as
the Railroad House, in 1851. He was soon followed in its manage-
ment by Leonard & Stuart. Other landlords since them have been:
J. Manter, C. Young, Samuel Whitehouse and Leander Yeaton, who
took possession in 1877 and is still landlord. It has been the principal
hotel of the village, though the so called Miller House, built in 1851,
by Frederick Spencer, has been used at times as a public house and at
other times as a store. Those who have been landlords or merchants
there since Spencer are : A. Kimball, Stephen Worcester, A. J. Mills,
A. K. P. Mace and H. C. Minot.
Solomon Leonard, from Augusta, built a large store and dwelling
near the station in 1850. Two years later Watson Leonard and C. W.
Stuart began to trade there and remained in business fifteen years.
They were followed in 1867 by A. Hammond & Sons, who are still
prominent merchants of the town. In 1854 Rufus Hill built the store
above the hotel and traded there until his death in 1864. Others who
have occupied the store since have been : Samuel Whitehouse, Alex-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ander & Goodwin, Tibbitts & Damren and C. W. Safford.
In 1860 Dr. Aaron Crooker built a large store and dwelling on the
site of the store formerly owned by George Starrett, and burned m
1852. Albert Caswell occupied it in 1863-4, and was followed by
Eldred & Stuart, who traded until 1887, when the old firm was dis-
solved, and R. K. Stuart, Esq., has continued the business alone. In
1887 Lincoln A. Bartlett and Herbert Wadleigh built a large store
and steam grist mill on the east side of the track and established a
prosperous business. In 1891 Mr. Bartlett bought out the interest of
his partner. Among others who have kept stores at the Depot in
past years have been: Tibbetts Brothers, in store now owned by Paul
Hammond; Jared Trask,4n house owned by Charles Stevens; W. Y.
Bartlett, in a building opposite the station, now removed ; and Albert
Caswell, in house afterward burned, on the site of Mrs. Braley's house.
1014 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
There are about twenty-five dwelling houses in the village. But few
enterprises outside of the minor industries common to all villages
have been started here, and its chief support has been the railroad.
In 1831 David Tibbetts built a tannery near the house of Hartwell
White, below the stream, which he operated for six years. Edmund
Williams, in 1883, started a brick yard a few rods south of the station,
on the west side of the track. The clay was excellent and the location
as good as could be desired. Soon after three prominent Belgrade
men — George R. Stevens, James Tibbetts and George E. Minot —
went into partnership with him, and did business on an extensive
scale, pressing the bricks by steam and building large sheds and
buildings. In the winter they utilized the steam engine to saw
shingles. For several years the business prospered, and employment
was given to many, but the enterprise was destined to a short life,
and for various reasons the manufacture of bricks was discontinued,
the engine sold and the great sheds torn down.
In 1885 J. C. Taylor & Son established a corn canning factory near
the stream bridge, and each fall do a brisk though not extensive busi-
ness in canning a fine quality of sweet corn. They also can apples.
Besides its railroad connection, the village is on the daily stage
line from Augusta to Belgrade Mills, Rome and New Sharon, now
owned by J. H. Thing. A post office was established at the old village
at the bridge August 24, 1821, with John Hoxie as postmaster. It was
kept in the old tavern there. Robert Wills was appointed nine years
later, and William Rogers in April, 1833. Frederick Spencer, who
kept the office in the new village at the depot, was appointed in May,
1853. His successors have been: William Y. Bartlett, December 18,
1860 ; James Tibbetts, January 24, 1883 ; Edwin C. Taylor, July 20,
1885 ; and Lincoln A. Bartlett, who has been postmaster since April
Although there has been no public house or store for many years
on Belgrade hill, the same travel that during the first half of the cen-
tury was so important to the southern part of the town, helped not a
little to make this a much busier place than it is now. Besides the
taverns kept by Caleb Page and David Wyman, as mentioned else-
where, Thomas Eldred, who came from East Pittston in 1830, kept a
public house for many years in the large house now owned by William
Eldred. Anson P. Morrill, of national fame, when a young man kept
a small store on the hill, and this being burned, he traded in company
with Sidney Norton in a small building near the forks of the road
there. David Blunt afterward kept tavern in the same building, and
next William Tilton, who hung himself there. Gustavus Clark and
John Sandford were in turn landlords in the same house. Near by
William Wing kept a store, and in turn William Bowman, David Pol-
lard, Samuel Wyman and Sandborn Brothers traded at the same stand.
TOWN OF BELGRADE. 1015
The building was hauled further north, and is now the dwelling
house of William Keeler.
Not far from Belgrade hill, and near the Adventist camp ground,
is the station of North Belgrade, on the shore of the lake. There is
no village here, but Charles Richardson has kept a store near the sta-
tion for many years. April 30, 1880, a post office was established here,
with the name of Lakeside, and James Lowe was appointed postmas-
ter. He was succeeded in April, 1886, by Charles Richardson, who held
the office until the appointment of Frank H. Judkins, October 27, 1891.
The stream at North Belgrade which formerly separated Belgrade
from Dearborn has been, and is now, the scene of some manufactur-
ing enterprise, though there can scarcely be said to be a village there.
It is often called Spaulding's Mills. Three dams have been built on
this stream, and two are now used; of the other, known as the old
Butler dam, only a few remains are to be seen. Captain Henry
Richardson, one of the first settlers in this vicinity, is said to have
built the first dam here before this century opened, and to have run a
grist mill, of which his son, Oliver, afterward had charge. Jeremiah
Tilton had a saw mill on this dam, and Holman Johnson owned a
shovel handle factory here. In 1867 John and James Alexander built
a saw and grist mill on this dam, which they ran for several years.
The former met his death while working here. In 187e* Spauldmg
Brothers began to manufacture scythe and axe boxes in this mill, and
a few years ago the name of the firm was changed to Spaulding &
Bickford, who are still doing business here.
Peaslee Morrill, the father of governors and congressmen, was a
trader here for many years, and some of his sons were in business
with him. Esquire Morrill was a prominent and influential man in
this vicinity. Jeremiah Tilton, who built the store now owned by
Joseph Merrow, was also a trader here many years ago. Solomon
Lombard, George Blake, Alexander Brothers and Joseph Merrow have
traded here, but there is now no store in this part of the town.
Where the stream runs into Great pond Jonathan Palmer built a
dam about 1840, and operated a saw mill there, which was afterward
burned. He rebuilt, and after passing through various hands it has
been owned for the past twenty years by John Damren. It was
burned in February, 1889, but Mr. Damren has rebuilt, and is doing
a brisk business sawing lumber and shingles.
Quite a number of cottages have been built by Augusta, Water-
ville and Oakland parties along the shore of the pond, on the farm of
George R. Gleason, and the increasing number of those who come to
this vicinity each season shows that the beauty of scenery here and
the fine chances for fishing are becoming appreciated by others than
the residents of the town.
A post office was established here, under the name of Dearborn,
1016 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
December 23, 1818, with Peaslee Morrill in charge. This is the oldest
of the four offices in town. In March, 1840, the town of Dearborn
having passed from existence, the name of the office was changed to
North Belgrade, and in April of the next year Thomas Eldred became
postmaster. The subsequent appointments have been: Almond H.
Wyman, July, 1845; Hiram Goodwin, March, 1854; Crowell Taylor,
March, 1855; Almond H. Wyman, February, 1859; Jeremiah Tilton,
December, 1861; Lemuel Lombard, January, 1864; James Alexander,
January, 1865; Joseph Merrow. November, 1873, and Edward Rollins,
At Belgrade Mills we find the second small village of the town.
Ninety years ago this was called Locke's Mills, and later Chandler's
Mills, a name by which it is often known to-day. It is situated on the
short stream connecting Great and Long ponds, and separating Bel-
grade from Rome. It is six miles from the Depot, with which place
there are daily stage connections. John Jones built the first dam
across this stream before this century opened, and about 1800 John
Locke established a grist mill here, the first one in the town. Next
after him John Chandler and John Goodrich ran a saw and grist mill
together, and then dissolved partnership and operated separate mills
for many years. Both were prominent men in town. The grist mill
of Chandler was burned in 1820, but was rebuilt. For the past twenty
years or more Nathaniel Morrill has operated a saw and grist mill on
the same site, but now a grist mill is not so necessary an establish-
ment in a town as in the old days.
Adam Wilbur ran two carding machines and a fulling mill here,
and dressed and colored cloth for many years before his death in 1854.
Then Thomas Golder and George Goodrich began the manufacture of
excelsior in the same building. This being burned, David Golder
built the present excelsior mill in 1871, and soon sold it to Nathaniel
Towle and S. C. Mills, who sold it after a few years to Towle & Austin.
E. W. Towle Is the present owners. Once an extensive business in
tanning was done at the tannery of Whitten & Southwick, which was
burned in 1845. David Golder rebuilt it, and it has passed through
several hands, but is not operated now.
But the leading manufacturing industry of the Mills and of the
town, and the chief support of this little village, is the spool factory of
Henry W. Golder. In 1852 Frank Harnden and J. H. Thompson built
a spool factory here, and soon after sold out to David Golder, who, in
company with several partners at different times, carried on the busi-
ness until his death in 1882. Since then his son, Henry W., has owned
and operated the factory. The old building was burned in 1885, but
a new and better one was quickly erected, and great improvements
made on the dam. From twenty to twenty-five men are employed,
and the business is a credit and benefit to the town.
TOWN OF BELGRADE. 1017
The first trader in the little village that began to grow here three-
quarters of a century ago was John Chandler, on the site of the pres-
ent large Golder store, which was afterward built and occupied by
George Robinson. Since Robinson the traders in this store have been:
Robert T. Whitten, Isaac N. Pray, Alfred Leathers, Samuel Lawton,
Farnham & Williams, David Golder, Henry and Thomas Golder, and
the present occupant, Charles H. Kelley. Joseph Chandler built the
stone store in 1838, and traded there many years. Charles D. Heald
and Howard Chandler have since traded there. Others who have traded
at the Mills have been: Joshua Frost, Joshua Lord, Alexander Austin
and Morrison Chandler.
About 1831 Joseph Chandler built the large house now owned by
Mrs. Rollins, which was used for many years as a tavern, among its
landlords being Joseph Rollins, David Rockwood and John Libby.
Hiram Savage kept a tavern here in a building recently remodeled,
and now the handsome residence of Henry W. Golder. Other land-
lords in the same house were: Charles Merrow, Luther Allen, Howard
Maxwell and William Cummings. George H. Foster kept a tavern in
a house afterward burned in 1873. The Mills felt a loss of travel and
trade after the building of the railroad through the south part of the
town, and for a long time no public house was maintained here. A
few years ago, however, the increasing number of summer visitors
encouraged Charles Austin to open a hotel, the Central House, which
has recently been greatly enlarged.
Belgrade Mills is a pretty village and splendidly located, and the
opportunity it offers to a pleasure seeker or a fisherman is hard to
beat, even around Belgrade, famous for its natural scenery and fishing
grounds. Many hundreds of summer visitors come here each season
from outside of the state, and the whole neighborhood, with the
shores and islands of the .surrounding ponds, is literally taken posses-
sion of by them. The number increases each year, so that the place
is winning no mean name as a summer resort, and the benefit to the
town is not to be lightly estimated. A ladies' Village Improvement
Society is doing much to make the place neat and attractive and to
make practical improvements.
Belgrade Mills was made a post office, with Joseph Chandler as
postmaster, January 13, 1829. His successors have been: Robert T.
Whitten, appointed August 12, 1841; Joseph W. Russell, July, 1845
Alexander Austin, October, 1845; George H. Foster, February, 1852
Ezekiel Elliott, December, 1857; Charles D. Heald, September, 1861
David Golder, February, 1867; Henry W. Golder, November, 1882
Thomas 8. Golder, August, 1888; and Charles H. Kelley, appointed
December 17, 1890.*
* Mr. Minot's responsibility for this chapter ends here.— [Ed.
lUlS HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
Hermon H. Ada^is, the fifth of the ten children of Dr. Enoch Ad-
ams, of Litchfield, Me., and of Mary (Case) Adams, his wife, was born
in that town August 25, 1856. The earlier years of his life were
passed in Litchfield and his education was completed at Kents Hill.
Soon after leaving- school he married Hattie M., daughter of Crowell
Taylor, of Belgrade, and removed to that town, where he has since
resided. In 1876 he engaged in school teaching at Oakland, and the
following year began farming on Belgrade hill. In 1880 he took up
his residence on the Rollins farm, which he subsequently acquired,
and where he now lives. His first wife died in 1885, leaving one son,
Reuel Smith Adams. He afterward married Effie M., daughter of
Jonathan and Abbie (Martin) Philbrick, of Mt. Vernon. Of this union
were born three children: Mary, who died in infancy; Enoch H. and
Frank C. Adams.
Though still a young man, Mr. Adams has become prominently
identified with the institutions and progressive movements of his sec-
tion. In 1890 he was elected to represent the towns of Winthrop,
Rome and Belgrade in the lower house of the state legislature, where
he served on the committees on engrossed bills and on the State Re-
form School. He is a republican in politics and has always con-
sistently represented the principles and tenets of that party. He has
taken an active interest in the cause of education in the town of Bel-
grade, and for a number of years has served as school commissioner
in that town. By industry and economy he has succeeded in acquir-
ing some of the best farm property in Belgrade, and devotes his time
to farming when not engaged in the performance of public duties.
He is connected in religious matters with the Society of Friends, and
has, by his consistent and earnest course of life, the integrity and
uprightness of his conduct, entitled himself to the respect and esteem
of the entire community.
Moses H. Alexander, born in 1834 and died in 1876, was a son of
John Alexander, who was born in Cork, Ireland, in 1778, and died in
Belgrade in 1880. His wife was Jane Dunlap. Mr. Alexander was
educated in the schools of the town and at Titcomb Academy. He
was a teacher and farmer, and at the time of his death owned the
farm his father bought of John Pitts when he came to the town.
Since Mr. Alexander's death his widow and sons have carried on the
farm. He married in 1862, Adelia M. Cummings, sister of Greenwood
and Warren Cummings, of this town. Their children are: Herbert,
Harry L. and Delia H.; and two that died— Annie P. and Leslie M.
William D. Alexander, eldest brother of Moses H., was born in
1829, and is a farmer near where his father settled. He married Mary
C, daughter of Benjamin and Lucy Leighton, and granddaughter of
TOWN OF BELGRADE. 1019
Isaac Leighton. Their children were: Jane and Frank, deceased; and
Charles H. Austin, born in 1844, is the youngest son of Nahum and
Jane Austin. He was a farmer until 1867, since then has been a spool
maker, and has kept the Central House, Belgrade Mills, since 1870.
He married Abbie K., daughter of Mark Lord. They have one daugh-
Horace R. Austin, farmer, born in 1852, is the only surviving child
of Horace and Lovina (Tucker) Austin, and grandson of Samuel and
Annie (Carpenter) Austin. He married Laura A., daughter of Wil-
liam B. Dunlap, and they have one daughter, Edith C.
Samuel Austin, born in 1834, is a son of Samuel and Dorcas (Yea-
ton) Austin. He has been spool maker since 1854. He married Eliza
E., daughter of William and Lois (Farnham) Kelly, and granddaugh-
ter of Seth Kelly. Their two daughters are: Mary L. (Mrs. Jerome
Damren) and Luona Belle (Mrs. F. W. Simmons).
L. Wesley Bachelder, son of John and vSarah T. (Clough) Bachelder,
was born in 1844. He was employed by the Maine Central Railroad
Company from 1860 until 1891, and after 1872 was section superin-
tendent. He was treasurer of the town from 1876 to 1892. He mar-
ried Martha A., daughter of Jacob Clough.
Greenleaf G. Bartlett, born in 1836, is the only survivor of a family
of nine children of Peter D. and Emily (Brown) Bartlett, and grand-
son of Timothy Bartlett, who came from Belfast, Me., to Mt. Vernon.
Mr. Bartlett is a farmer on the place where his father settled in early
life. He married Lizzie, daughter of Daniel Hill. She died leaving
two children — Lincoln A., and a daughter that died. His present
wife is Christina, a sister of his first wife. They have one daughter,
Martin Bickford, born in 1858, is one of eight children of Seth,
grandson of Asa, and great-grandson of William, who with his father,
Benjamin Bickford, came from New Hampshire to this town. Since
1887 Mr. Bickford has been a member of the firm of Spaulding &
Bickford, manufacturers, having been employed in the same shop for
several years previous. He married Marcia E., daughter of Hiram,
and granddaughter of Benjamin Snow. Their children are: Harold
D., Emily L. and Ralph C.
John Brown, born in Vienna in 1819, was the youngest child of
Eliphalet and Abigail (Smith) Brown, who came to Vienna from New
Hampshire in 1800. Mr. Brown followed the sea for fifteen years and
served in the late war twenty-one months; enlisted in the 1st Maine
Heavy Artillery and was transferred to the man-of-war Arizuois. He
married Sophia W., daughter of Nathaniel Neal, and they have two
children: Mary C. and James A.
1020 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
Eleazer Burbank, a Quaker, came from Westbrook, Mass., in 1800,
and settled on the farm in Belgrade now owned by Greenwood Cum-
mings. He married Mary Brackett. Silas, one of their eleven chil-
dren, married Lucretia Hersum, and had three children. The
youngest, Mary Arvilla, married Asa Dunn, who died in 1864. Their
children were: Ellen A. (Mrs. Frank P. Spaulding), Alice A., and
Mary Etta (Mrs. Charles S. Hersum). Mrs. Dunn married for her
second husband Sewall Spaulding, who is a farmer and occupies the
farm owned by Mr. Dunn. Mr. Spaulding's former wife was Frances
L. Cottle, who died leaving two sons: Henry B. and Frank P.
Henry P. Chandler, born in 1838, is one of six children of John
and Nancy (Yeaton) Chandler, and grandson of John Chandler. Mr.
Chandler is a farmer on the Ichabod Smith farm. Before buying this
farm he was for twenty years a resident of Blanchard, Me. He mar-
ried Mary E., daughter of Benjamin Blackstone. Their children are:
Ida L., John, Elmer, Myrtie M., C. F., and two sons who died in
George W. Cottle, born in Pittston in 1832, is a son of Daniel and
Sarah K. Cottle, and grandson of Ananias Cottle. He came to Bel-
grade in 1854, where he has been a farmer. He now owns a part of
the original Doctor Williams farm. He married Margaret, daughter
of Campbell Wyman. They have one son, Arthur L.
Greenwood J. Cummings, born in Sidney in 1822, is one of ten
children of Joseph S. and Ann P. (Prescott) Cummings, and grand.son
of Eleazer Cummings. He came to Belgrade in 1858, and bought the
Eleazer Burbank farm of 180 acres, where he has since been a farmer.
He married Harriet N., daughter of David and Martha (Page) Mosher,
and granddaughter of Daniel Mosher. Their children are: Vesta C.
(Mrs. A. R. Chase), Arthur R., Charles F., Hattie M. (now a trained
nurse), and Annie B. (Mrs. C. E. Woodman).
Warren P. Cummings, brother of Greenwood J., was born in 1828
in Sidney, came to Belgrade in 1837 with his parents, and in 1850
bought the Moses Page farm, where he now lives, engaged in the
business of farming and butchering. He married Sarah, daughter of
Benjamin and Sally (Taylor) Bowman. Their children are: Ida M.
(Mrs. Manley M. Judkins), Elmer W. (now station agent at South
Gardiner), and Sarah Louisa (deceased). Ida M. and her husband live
with her father, and have two children: Edna L. and Sarah B.
Rev. Joseph S. Cummings, born in 1834, is a son of Seth G. and
Mary A. (vSawtelle) Cummings, and grandson of Eleazer Cummings.
He was educated in the schools of the town and at Kents Hill Semi-
nary. He has taught school twenty-nine winters, devoting the sum-
mers to farming. For the last twenty-five years he has been a Baptist
preacher. He married Amanda J., daughter of John Hersom, and
their children are: John M., Inez, Callie, Joseph (deceased), and Guy.
TOWN OF BELGRADE. 1021
George Edward Damren is a son of Samuel R. and Olive A. (Jor-
dan) Damren, and grandson of Joshua Damren, who came to Belgrade
from Hallowell with his two brothers, William and Dustin. Mr.
Damren is a farmer on his father's homestead. He married Alice M.
Dorr, and has one son, Irving H.
James H. Dunlap, born in 1842, is one of eight children of William
B. and Lucy A. (Fifield) Dunlap, and grandson of Ebenezer Dunlap,
of Monmouth. William B. was nine years whale fishing from New
Bedford, Mass., and came from there to Belgrade in 1835. Mr. Dunlap
■was in Boston from 1862 until 1883, when he came back to Belgrade,
where he is a farmer. He married Maggie Cameron.
George A. Farnham, born in 1837, son of David and Sarah (Kelley)
Farnham, and grandson of David Farnham, is a house painter and
farmer. In 1865 he bought the Edward Merchant homestead, where
he has since lived. He married Lydia J., daughter of John and Mary
(Yeaton) Spaulding. Their children are: H. Everett, Elnora, Mary
B., Carrie L., Francis E. and George Bertrand. H. Everett is general
secretary of the Y. M. C. A. of Pennsylvania. The daughters are all
Dexter Foster came from Blackstone, Mass., to Belgrade, where he
died in 1816, leaving four sons: Dexter, John, George H. and Herman.
George H. had eight children, of whom the second, George C, married
Mary D. Greenleaf, and was a farmer until his death in 1885. Their
children were: Frank Chester, Elnora, Fred and Edgar L. The oldest
and youngest are living and occupy the homestead with their mother,
and are farmers. Frank C. married Susan E., daughter of William E.
Lord, and they have one daughter, Ethel C.
Henry O. Frost, born in 1844, is a son of AVilliam M. and Dorcas
(Gowell) Frost, and grandson of Samuel Frost, who came to Belgrade
from Lebanon, Me., about 1800. Mr. Frost is a farmer on the farm
where his father has lived for the last fifty years. He married Alice,
daughter of Nathaniel Towle.
B. Frank Gleason, son of Benjamin and Caroline (Mclntire) Glea-
son, was born in 1861. He is a farmer, and since April, 1887, has
owned and occupied the William F. Eldred farm of two hundred
acres at Belgrade hill. He married Lena M., daughter of Henry
Allen and Cornelia (Townsend) Hallett. Their children are: Bessie
E. and Elmo A. B.
Henry W. Colder is the youngest of three children of David and
Elizabeth (Stone) Colder. He was educated in the schools of Augusta,
at Kents Hill Seminary, and at the United States Naval Academy. He
was one year in the late war in the 28th Maine, as lieutenant. From