ford. Ireland, came to Hallowell in 1810, and married Sophia Lemercia,
of Dresden, and had seven children, the first three born in Boston.
Abraham Pray, born in Berwick, September 20, 1753, married Sarah
Clark, of Wells, and had twelve children before coming here in 1802.
He died here in 1844. Ezekiel Goodale, printer, born in Boylston,
Mass., September 24, 1780, came here in October, 1802. He married
Betsey Stone, of Oakham, and had five children, all born here.
Thomas Lakeman, born in Newbury, Mass., August 6, 1767, married
Elizabeth Lord, of Ipswich, and came here in 1794. He had eight
children, born between 1791 and 1809.
John Sewall, jun., was born in York, Me., September 13, 1755, and
came to Hallowell in 1797. He was town clerk for several years, and
it is said to have been through his efforts that the records of Hallowell
families were made and preserved. He was also selectman, and taught
the town school on Temple street for many years. He married
Eunice Emerson, who had had four children by her first marriage. His
only child, Joanna, was born March 9, 1792. Mr. Sewall died Novem-
ber 15, 1827. Moses Sewall, born in York, married Ruth Barrell, of
the same town. He came here in 1787. He had six children and died
March 24, 1798. David Sewall, brother of Moses, married Hannah
Barrell; he settled here in 1784, and had twelve children.
Elisha Nye, born in Sandwich, Mass., April 22, 1745-6, married
Lucy Toby and had three children born in Sandwich. Mrs. Nye died,
and he then married Mehitable Robinson, of Falmouth, Mass., and
had ten more children, the last seven born here. He came here in
492 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
1781. James Cocks, or Cox, was born in Boston in 1734, and died in
Hallowell in 1808. By his wife, who was a Beverage, of Boston, he
had ten children born between 1758 and 1777. Nathaniel Brown was
by occupation a baker, and his was the house now occupied by Hiram
Fuller. He came here from Ipswich, Mass., married Mary L. Parsons,
and had two daughters. George Bartlett, by trade a cooper, lived on
the Augusta road, on the opposite side from the cemetery and a little
Isaac Smith, a native of New Hampshire, a sea captain, was a
resident of Loudon hill. He was also a large shipbuilder and owner.
He died February 1, 1844, aged sixty-one years. His wife was Betsey
Johnson; six children. Abner Lowell was a prominent shipbuilder at
Joppa. His trade was with the West Indies, and he was sole owner of
his ships. He was an active business man, and of the strictest integrity.
He came in 1797, married Hannah Sawyer, and had issue nine. Benja-
min Davenport was a hatter on a large scale. The early Davenports
settled on the east side of the river. He married Mary, daughter of
Briggs Turner, and had seven children. Jonas Childs lost one of his
legs during the war for independence. He was a tailor and also kept
a ferry for foot passengers. Thomas Norris was an early trader here
and owned the schooner Catherine, which plied between this port and
Boston. This vessel was lost on the passage to Boston, and Mr. Nor-
ris, Mr. Ring and Naomi Hovey, who were passengers, were drowned.
Over Mr. Ring's store, the Halloivcll Gazette was first published in 1814,
by Goodale & Burton.
Rufus K. Page once traded in the store now occupied by Leigh &
Wingate. The second brick building in town was known as Perley's
Block; it had three stores on the ground floor. Nathaniel Perley came
here from Boxford in 1794. He married Mary Dummer, and had
seven children. Jesse Locke occupied a house on the corner of Win-
throp and Second streets.
Daniel N. Dole was born in Newbury, Mass., November 22, 1775,
and died in Hallowell, March 9, 1841. He was by trade a goldsmith,
and he also repaired clocks and watches. He married Nacy Gove,
of Edgecomb, and had issue six. Gideon Gilman, son of Eliphalet
Gilman, was a manufacturer of sash and doors in a shop at the
corner of Water and Temple streets. He was the principal glazier
in the town, and was also a surveyor of lumber. He married a
daughter of Benjamin Hilton, and died January 4, 1845, aged seventy-
five years. Ebenezer Bessey, born in Wareham, Mass., found employ-
ment as gardener with Doctor Vaughan. He was among the first to
supply the town with boot-blacking. He married Patience Burgess
and had issue eleven.
David Morgan was a farmer on the Litchfield road. He accom-
panied John Merrick in locating the Canada road, when the entire
party came near perishing from hunger. He died January 1, 1844,
aged sixty-five years. Daniel Evans, born May 24, 1767, was the col-
lector of the direct tax in 1816. In his later years he kept a pastry
store. He was the father of Hon. George Evans, the distinguished
advocate. He married Sally Sawyer, and died November 21, 1842,
aged seventy-five years. He had nine children. Joshua Wingate,
born in Amesbury, Mass., March 14, 1747, merchant, postmaster and
man of affairs generally, was the father of Hon. Joshua Wingate, of
Portland. He died October 11, 1844, aged ninety-seven years. He
wore knee breeches and buckles to the time of his death. His wife
was Sarah Carr, and he had seven children.
Robert Sager, born in Yorkshire, England, was a saddle and har-
ness maker; both he and his wife were of English birth. He did an
extensive business in a shop north of Norcross' marble shop. He
died April IS, 1821. They had seven children. David Vass, a manu-
facturer of mirrors, died September 21, 1829, aged thirty-nine years.
John Beeman, born in Northfield, Mass., February 9, 1755, died March
1, 1826, aged seventy-one years. He married Hannah Jennings in
1785. He was by occupation a tanner. His tannery was a few rods
back of Water street and he did a large business. In excavating a
few years ago strata of horns and other refuse were dug up, ten feet
below the surface of the ground. He was a great reader and had a
fine library for that day. Nine children.
Major William Livermore, born in Waltham, Mass., January 9,
1763, came here in 1806 from Jay, Me., and was a merchant. He had
a large trade in lumber. He was the father of Danforth P. Liver-
more, of Hallowell. He married Sarah (Taylor) Jones and died in
Mississippi in August, 1832. Thomas Fillebrown, born in Woburn
October 8, 1763, was a farmer, and moved from here to Winthrop.
His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Nathaniel Cheever. They had
nine children. Philip Norcross, born in Georgetown July 25, 1763,
lived near the cemetery and engaged in farming. He married Nancy
Hussey and came here in 1787. Ebenezer Mayo was an early brick
mason and lived on Winthrop street, near the railroad crossing. He
reared a family of twelve children. Elias Bond, born in Watertown,
Mass., March 14, 1774, was a hatter and did a large business on Water
street. He came here from Watertown in 1804. He married Mary
Pappoon and had seven children.
Calvin Edson lived on Winthrop street and was a mariner. He
came here from Bridgewater, Mass. His son, Martin, was also a mar-
iner. Shubael and Thomas Hinckley, twin brothers and sons of Shu-
bael Hinckley, born in Brunswick in 1736, came to Hallowell about
1773 and lived where the cemetery now is. They were farmers.
Their posterity, which is large, is widely scattered. The land where
Dr. Amos Wilder's oilcloth factory now stands was named for them
494 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
" Hinckley's point." Nathan Bachelder, born in Loudon, N. H., Oc-
tober 25, 1773, lived southwest of the railroad station, in the house
now occirpied by William Graves. The store built by him, and in
which he did business, is now occupied by the Northern National
Bank. This is said to have been the first brick building erected in
Augusta. He married Nancy Rollins and came here in 1799. He
died June 3, 1850. They had six children born in Hallowell.
Edmund Dana, by occupation a potter, lived on Winthrop street,
on the place now occupied by Justin E. Smith. This man committed
suicide in 1810. He had ten children. Samuel Button lived in a
house which stood north of Doctor Nutting's place. The house has
been removed. By wife, Ruth, he had six children. John Couch, a
farmer and early settler, lived on Winthrop hill. He married Jane
Hinckley and had eight children. He came in 1773. Thomas Agry,
from Barnstable, lived in the house now occupied by Moses W. Farr.
He and his brother, John, who lived in the Doctor Eveleth house, were
largely engaged in .shipping and were men of great enterprise and
Alfred Martin, an early settler, lived on the corner of Winthrop
and Second streets and was a blacksmith. He married Lydia, daughter
of Isaac Clark, of Hallowell. He came here from Connecticut in 1788.
William Morse, jun., was an early trader in company with Eben
White. He came here with his family from Methuen, Mass., in 1793.
His wife was Tryphena Whitten, of Methuen. Daniel Smith lived on
Loudon hill and was a seafaring man. Loudon hill was so called be-
cause the first settlers here came from Loudon, N. H. Mr. Morse died
April 17, 1844, aged eighty-four years. Jacob Smith lived at the lower
part of the village, at a place then and now known as " Joppa." He
had five children. Allen Oilman married Pamelia A. Dearborn, of
Pittston, and had one daughter.
Ezekiel Goodale came here from New Hampshire, in a chaise, ac-
companied by his brother. He kept a book store and was afterward
connected with the publishing house in Hallowell, one of the largest
in the state. He died February 21, 1828, aged forty-seven years.
Thomas Leigh came from Manchester, England, prior to 1800, and
built a large store opposite the present store of Leigh & Wingate.
His brother, Joseph, came a little later, was captured on the passage
by the French and lost all his property. He engaged in business with
his brother, and their chief business was to supply lime to the settlers
on the Kennebec. Both the brothers were seafaring people and com-
manded their own ships.
Dea. James Gow, a native of Scotland, came to Hallowell in 1793,
and married Lucy, daughter of Eliphalet Gilman. He was a tailor,
and after working at that business a few years he engaged in trade.
He died June 2, 1842, aged ninety-six years. He was deacon of the
old South church and a good man. Captains vShubael and William
West were engaged in trade and navigation when " Joppa " was the
busiest part of the town. The latter lived at the foot of Heard's lane
and the former on land adjoining. They were packet masters and
plied between Hallowell and Boston. William Dorr, of Roxbury,
Mass., married Jane, daughter of Thaddeus Partridge, and came to
Hallowell in 1788. He had eight children, among whom was John
Dorr, a printer and newspaper publisher.
Nathaniel Dummer, of the Es.sex county, Mass., noted family of
this name, was born at Newbury, Mass., March 9, 1755. He was edu-
cated at Dummer Academy, married Mrs. Mary (Owen) Kilton, and
came to Hallowell in 1789. He engaged in trade, was the first repre-
sentative from Hallowell, was much in town office, and served as a
member of the executive council. He afterward served on the bench
of common pleas. He was a man of good common sen.se and of a
'practical turn of mind. He died September 15,1815. He had sons,
Joseph Owen and Gorham, and two daughters. Joseph O. Dummer
married his cousin, Judith G. Dummer, and had Nathaniel, who set-
tled in Weld, Me., and has descendants there, and Hannah, who mar-
ried and settled in Dixmont. Gorham Dummer married Sarah Ab-
bot, of Concord, N. H.,and died in Hallowell January 1, 1805, leaving
a daughter, Lucy G., who became the wife of Samuel K. Oilman, of
Hallowell. The Dummer name is now extinct in Hallowell, and the
old and elegant mansion was bequeathed by the last representative
of the family to Bowdoin College.
Tristram Locke, born in Hollis October 18, 1771, married Anna
Lord, of Gardiner. He was the son of Caleb and Elizabeth (Dyer)
Locke. They had eight children born in Hallowell between 1795 and
1812. Samuel Locke, brother to Tristram, known as " Master Locke,"
came here as a schoolmaster in 1810. He married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Isaac Stanwood and widow of Hale Waite, and had seven chil-
dren, all born in Hallowell.
John Merrick, a prominent and influential man in Hallowell, was
born in London in 1766. After obtaining a first class education he
preached for a time, and then became a tutor in the family of Dr.
Benjamin Vaughan and came with them to Hallov.'ell in 1796. He
returned to England, and having married Rebecca, a sister of Doc-
tor Vaughan, he came back to Hallowell. He surveyed the route to
Canada by way of the Chaudiere in 1810, was cashier of a bank at
Hallowell until 1821, and agent of wild lands in eastern Maine. He
died October 22, 1861, leaving six children. His age was over ninety
Daniel L. Dole, born in Newbury, Mass., November 22, 1775, mar-
ried Nancy Gove, of Edgecomb, and moved to Hallowell. They had
six children, the oldest, Ebenezer G. Dole, being a prominent anti-
496 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
slavery man. Jacob Abbot, jun., born in Wilton, N. H., October 20,
1776, married Betsey, daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth (Chandler)
Abbot, of Concord, N. H., and came to Hallowell in 1800. He was the
father of Jacob and John Stevens Cabot Abbot, the distinguished
authors, the former of whom was born in Hallowell and the latter at
Brunswick. Mr. Abbot had seven children. David Thomas was of
Hallowell and moved here from Georgetown. His first three chil-
dren were born in Georgetown and the last five, the oldest of whom
was born December 15, 1765, in Hallowell. James Burns, born in
Amherst, N. H., August 15, 1771, married Betsey Greeley and came
here in 1800. They had eleven children.
Isaac Lord, born in Berwick, Me., January 1, 1779, married Mary
McGrath, of Kittery, and came here in 1800. They had eleven chil-
dren. Samuel Freeman, born in Sandwich September 21, 1736, mar-
ried first Abigail Dillingham, second Surviah Crocker, and third Mrs.
Rebecca Jackson. He, with his three sons, came here in 1800. Na-
thaniel Colcord came to Hallowell in 1794. He was born in Newmar-
ket, N. H., March 2, 1755, and married Rachel Whidden. Of their
seven children, the last two were born in Hallowell in 1796 and 1799.
Martin Brewster, mariner, came here from Kingston, Mass. His wife
was Sally Drew, and the first of his children born here, was July
26, 1796. ^
John Patrick Egan was born at Kilcullen Bridge, Kildare county,
Ireland, March 17, 1755, married Catherine Fleming, came to this
country in 1793, and to Hallowell in 1797. He died February 19, 1829.
They had seven children, the last three born in Hallowell. Peter Os-
good, born in Tewksbury, Mass., January 5, 1782, married Lucia Drew,
of Kingston, Mass., and came here in 1797. They had four children.
William Winslow married Betsey Oilman, of Loudon, N. H., and
came here in 1811. Of their three children, the youngest only was
born here. James Partridge married Polly Winslow, and had ten
children born here between 1797 and 1816.
Obadiah Harris, the first deacon in Hallowell, born in Wrentham,
Mass., July 7, 1736, married Lois Ellis, of Dedham, and came here in
1785. He died July 5, 1800. Philip Lord, born in Ipswich, Mass.,
December 4, 1774, came to this town ia 1797, and married Abigail
Nye. Their seven children were born here. John Russell, born in
Lyndeborough, N. H., June 21, 1789, married Elizabeth Winslow, of
Industry, and had four children born in this town. Nathan Sweat-
land, born in Attleboro, Mass., November 27, 1754, married Rebecca
Tarr, of Georgetown, and moved here, where he died April 2, 1814.
They had eight children.
James Sherborne, born in Barrington, N. H., December 29, 1776,
married Zerviah Sweatland, of Hallowell, and had six children. Will-
iam Drew, jun., born in Kingston, Mass., May, 1767, married Charity,
•daughter of Micah Allen, of Halifax, Mass. The births of three chil-
dren are recorded on Hallowell records, the second of whom was Rev.
William Allen Drew, born December 11, 1798, founder of the Gospel
Banner, and a man of marked ability. Shubael West, born at Martha's
Vineyard August 14, 1772, married Mary Edmondson, and moved to
Hallowell. They had eleven children.
John Hesketh, jun., born in Knowsley, England, married Mar-
o^aret Lyers, of Ford, England, and came to this town in 1798. He
died June 8, 1845. They had ten children, the last eight born in Hal-
lowell. Benjamin F. Melvin, son of Benjamin Melvin, of Readfield,
married Louisa Cram. Samuel Melvin, brother of Benjamin F., mar-
ried Mary Gove, of Readfield. These two families lived in Hallowell,
and the former was a prominent citizen. Nathan Knight married
Lucy Dean, and had seven children. Their eldest son, Austin Dean
Knight, came to Hallowell, and is cashier of the Hallowell National
Sarson Butler, born in Edgarton, Martha's Vineyard, October 13,
1761, came to Augusta, and died June 20, 1842. His wife was Susanna
Young. They had ten children. Joseph White was born in Roches-
ter, N. H., married Sally Gardiner, of Boston, and died in Hallowell
October 26, 1798, aged 30, leaving two children. Robert Francis, son
of Jeremiah Francis, born in Creighton, England, married Mary Ben-
nett, of Middleboro, Mass., and died March 3, 1851, leaving four
children. Elisha Nye married Nancy Young, of Hallowell. He was
lost on the passage to Boston December 3, 1813. He had six chil-
John Hains, born in Exeter, N. H., October 6, 1738, married Mary
Dudley, and came to this town in 1785. He had eleven children (the
last two born here), and died May 6, 1809. Nathaniel Cheever, printer
and stationer, born in Reading, Mass., August 20, 1778, married Char-
lotte Barren, came to Hallowell, and died March 5, 1819. They had
seven children, the second of whom was Rev. George Barrell Cheever,
torn April 17, 1807, member of the famous 1825 class of Bowdoin Col-
lege, and a celebrated preacher. James Norris, born in Chester,
N. H., May 21, 1743, married Mary Towle, and moved here from Ep-
ping, N. H., in 1791. He died February 9, 1809. Of their nine chil-
dren, James, Hannah and Mercy settled at Monmouth, Polly in New
Sharon, and Thomas, Francis and Simeon in Hallowell. Mark died in
the army in April, 1814.
Business Interests.— It may be remarked in passing that soon
after its settlement, Hallowell became the most important place of
business on the Kennebec above Bath, and continued so for many
years. The early settlers therefore who came were generally trades-
tnen, mechanics or manufacturers, and but few of them engaged in
agriculture. Ship-building was carried on to considerable extent, and
498 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
a large trade was carried on between this place and Boston, New
York and the West Indies. In 1820 upwards of 4,000 tons of shipping-
were owned in Hallowell, ships generally of small tonnage and en-
gaged largely in the coasting trade. Hallowell was thus the market
for a large territory, embracing central Kennebec, eastern Oxford and
nearly all of Franklin county, beside some of the present Androscoggin
county towns. Farm products and short lumber were brought to Hal-
lowell as a shipping point in large quantities, and the wharves pre-
sented a busy appearance. At this time this town had strong hopes
of becoming the metropolis of the state, and made efforts to divert
the trade of Coos county and the Canadian towns beyond, from Port-
land to the Kennebec. The building of the Atlantic & St. Lawrence
railroad took away the trade of Oxford county, and destroyed all
hopes of changing the direction of the markets for upper New
Hampshire and Canada; the construction of the railroad to Farming-
ton carried the Franklin county trade into another channel, and the
building of the railroad from Waterville to Lewiston, by way of
Winthrop, still further restricted the trade of Kennebec river towns
and left them little more than a mere local business.
The book publishing business, which was at first started in Hal-
lowell on a small scale, in process of time assumed large proportions.
The founder was Ezekiel Goodale, whose book store stood where Leigh
& Wingate's store now is. Mr. Goodale came here in 1802, and at
this time there was no similar store between Portland and Bangor.
To his business he added a printing office in 1813, which was in a
building at the foot of Academy street. In 1819 he commenced the
publication of the Maine Farmer s Almanac, an annual still i.ssued by
his successor. In 1820 he took in as a partner, his nephew and clerk,
Franklin Glazier. Three years later Andrew Masters and Justin E.
Smith were taken into the firm and the name and style became Mas-
ters, Glazier & Smith. At one time Mr. John Merrick appears to have
been in some way connected with the firm.
In 1857 Mr. Glazier retired from the firm, and from that time to
1880, the business was conducted by Andrew Masters and Danforth P.
Livermore, under the firm name of Masters & Livermore. In 1880
the office, including the Maine Farmer's Ahnaiiae, was sold to Charles
E. Nash, and soon after moved to Augusta. The books bearing the
imprint of these several firms are very numerous, and probably ex-
ceed in number those of any other firm in the state. They printed
the Maine Reports, the Revised Statutes and many other law books,
school books in great variety, town and other histories, volumes of
poems, hundreds of pamphlets, and miscellaneous books of various
kinds. They published Williamson's History of Maine and Perleys-
Digest of debates in the convention that framed the constitution of
the state. They did their work thoroughly as the test of time abund-
antly shows. Connected with their establishment was a bindery,
which in the various styles of binding, kept abreast of the times.
One of the lost industries of Hallowell, and a very important one
at the time, was the manufacture of pot and pearl ash. Wood was
the only article of fuel used, and the sale of wood ashes was an im-
portant source of income to farmers and others living in this vicinity.
William Livermore manufactured and shipped very large quantities
of the salts of potash in his day.
The power for propelling machinery in Hallowell is furnished by
Vaughans stream, better known as Bombahook brook. This stream is
naturally small, and in modern times, steam power has been exten-
sively used to supplement its limited capacity. In ancient times the
Vaughans had a brewery and a distillery at Sheppard's point, and also
a cotton mill, but none of these enterprises proved successful. The
cotton factory building was long used by William Stickney and Simon
Page as a whiting mill, and a portion of the building was cut away a
few years ago because it interfered with the road. There was also a
rope walk at Sheppard's point, conducted by Mr. Harlow. There was
a linseed oil factory on Bombahook brook many years ago. Fuller's
and McClinch's foundries now occupy the place. George Fuller
started the foundry business, and now his five sons are continuing the
business and prospering. They also own the whiting mill on the
Isaiah McClinch came here from Mt.Vernon and at first established
a blacksmith shop. He then built an iron foundry, in which he did an
extensive business. His son, George B. McClinch, and Mr. William
A. Winter now conduct the business. The latter is now mayor of the
An important industry of Hallowell in the olden time was its
fisheries. Herring, shad and salmon were taken here in immense
quantities, and the nicest salmon sold for from four to six cents per
pound. The fish left the Kennebec at this point many years ago,
when the lumber mills were erected.
The oilcloth works on Hinckley's point were first put in operation
in 1840, by Samuel L. Berry. In 18S2 they were operated by Stickney
& Page, in 1859 by Stickney, Page & Co., in 1868 by Page, Wilder &
Co., and since 1872 by A. Wilder & Co. Since Dr. Amos Wilder be-
came connected with the industry, great additions and improvements
have been made and its products now take very high rank.
The oilcloth factory operated by the four Sampson brothers, Ed-
ward, Henry, E. Pope and Alden, was started in 1840 by their father,
Alden Sampson, who also operated large works in what is now Man-
chester. Associated with him here was Elisha E. Rice, and his
brother, William Sampson. The factory building was burned and re-
built in 1847. It gives employment to forty-five men.
500 HISTORY OF KENNEBEC COUNTY.
The tanning business has been an important Hallowell industry.