Henry F. W. Little.

The Seventh Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion online

. (page 38 of 52)
Online LibraryHenry F. W. LittleThe Seventh Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion → online text (page 38 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ing committee, which office he filled acceptably until his
death. None labored harder or more earnestly, or con-
tributed time or money more cheerfully, for the ultimate
success of our enterprise.

For some years Captain Cotton had been the surviving
senior officer in his regiment, in fact since the death of the
late Gen. Joseph C. Abbott. It was a noticeable fact that

484 History of the Seventh Regiment

he had attended every reunion of our organization since
the war, and with pride he had preserved, and wore in
their respective order, all the badges of the different years
of these reunions. There were no original members of
the Seventh who did not know him, and to know him was
to love and respect him. Always ready for duty, a strict
disciplinarian, a kind-hearted, generous commander — the
regret of every soldier under his command was apparent
when circumstances, over which he had no control, com-
pelled him to sever his connection with the company and
regiment of his choice.

On duty we remember his kindly admonitions, his
impartial manner in the performance of his duties : his con-
stant watchfulness over the affairs and details of his
company ; and above all, in intercourse with his men his
conversation was always that ot a Christian gentleman.
His pleasant smile and hearty grip of welcome we shall
have no more, but his memory we will ever cherish, and
until the last comrade fails to attend our annual reunions,
the name of Capt. J. F. Cotton will not be forgotten.
He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and of E. E.
Sturtevant Post, No. 2, G. A. R., Concord, N. H. His
funeral was largely attended at the Pleasant Street Baptist
Church, in that city, where he was a constant attendant.
His widow resides in Concord, N. H.

Cai't. Ori.ando Lawrence.

Capt. Orlando Lawrence was born at Clarendon, Vt.,
August 15, 1832, and came of Revolutionary stock, being
the grandson of Nicholas Lawrence, who enlisted in the
Revolutionary Army in 1778, at the age of fourteen years,
and served until peace was declared in 1783.

The education of Captain Lawrence was only such as
was furnished by the district schools of his native town,
which were considered very good for the times. He was

New Hampshire Volunteers. 485

taught to work upon a farm, but at the age of twenty he
went to Nashua, N. H., where he worked in mechan-
ical shops for a few years, when the restlessness of the
times and his desire to see other parts of the country
led him to enlist in the Regular Army, and he was selected
for the First U. S. Cavalry, then forming, which was
commanded by Col. Edwin V. Sumner. By good con-
duct and strict attention to duty, he was soon promoted to
first sergeant of Troop A, of that regiment. His term
of enlistment for tive years, in the Regular Army, was
no light or easy service, as at that time the Indians were
almost always on the war path. He took part in four
campaigns against the savages, which included a large
number of engagements. He had one year of almost con-
stant service in Kansas, during the border ruffian days ;
his regiment being one of those ordered there by the War
Department, at the solicitation of the governor, for the
purpose of suppressing disturbances in that territory.

Captain Lawrence had many exciting adventures dur-
ing this year's service, among which was the capturing of
John Brown, of Kansas and Harper's Ferry fame, and
also the Free Soil governor.

At the expiration of his enlistment he received his dis-
charge at Fort Arbuckle, Chickasaw Reservation, Ark.,
April 10, i860, and returned to his home in Nashua, N. H.
Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion he promptly
enlisted in Company F, First Regiment N. H. Volunteers,
commanded by Captain Augustus Edgerly ; was mustered
in as first sergeant, serving in that capacity until the regi-
ment was mustered out of service at the expiration of its
term of three months' service.

Returning to Nashua, N. H., he soon received authority
to recruit a company, which he did successfully, and with
himself as captain, the company was mustered into
service the following November, as Company B, Seventh

486 History of the Seventh Regiinient

N. H. Volunteers. He served with his recjiment at Fort
Jefferson, Fla., Beaufort, S. C, and resigned while
stationed at St. Augustine, Fla., in October, 1862.

For a short time afterwards he served as volunteer aid
on the staff of General Brannon, and during that time
took part in the battle of Pocotaligo, S. C, October 22,

Upon returning North he soon obtained work in the
repair department of the Pacific Corporation, at Lawrence,
Mass., where he is still employed.

He was married to Mrs. Alma J. Clarke, of Milford,
N. H., November 27, 1861. He is a member of the
Grand Army of the Republic, and the N. H. Veterans'
Association, also of the First and Seventh Regiment Vet-
eran Associations, and is a past president of the latter

Capt, James M. Chase.

Capt. James Morse Chase was born in Hopkinton,
N. H., December 7, 1829. He died in Germantown, Phil-
adelphia, Penn., March 14, 1888, of typhoid pneumonia,
and a lung trouble which had existed since his service, and
from which he suffered during the war. His father was
Rev. Moses B. Chase, a cousin of Hon. Salmon P. Chase,
and was at that time located in Hopkinton as rector of St.
Andrew's Episcopal Church, and was afterwards a chap-
lain in the United States navy and resided in Cambridge,
Mass. His mother was Sarah Curtis Joynes, of Accomac
County, eastern shore of Virginia. He was the third of a
family of six children, of whom two sisters residing in
Cambridge, Mass., survived him. His early education
was conducted at Hopkinton, N. H., Academy, and upon
his father's removal to Cambridge, Mass., he was trans-
ferred to the Hopkins Classical School, which at that time
(1844) was in charge of E. B. Whitman, Esq.

New Hampshire Volunteers. 487

Captain Chase entered Harvard University in 1846, and
graduated with honors in 1850, receiving besides a special
certificate for proficiency in Greek. He was for a time
engaged as a private tutor, and in 1853 received from his
alma mater the degree of A. M., became a student in the
law office of Daniel Webster, graduated at the Harvard
Law School, subsequently, and was admitted to tiie bar of
Suffolk County, August 20, 1856.

He established himself in the practice of law at No. 6
Court street, Boston, and at the breaking out of the war
was in partnership with Edward Banfield, who was after-
wards solicitor of the treasury, under the firm name of
Chase & Banfield, and he was for several years previous
to the war a member of the city council of Cambridge,
Mass., and clerk of that bod}-.

October 30, 1861, he was married to Sarah Hall Tyler,
daughter of Dr. Cyril C. Tyler, a noted physician of Hop-
kinton, N. H., and a descendant of Gen. Israel Putnam of

In the fall of 1861, Captain Chase began recruiting for
the Seventh N. H. Volunteers, and was mustered into the
United States service, November 6, 1861, as captain of
Company D, being the third captain in rank, and his com-
pany being the color company of the regiment and occupy-
ing the position of right centre, or fifth company in line.
He was honorably mustered out of service December 30,
1864, by reason of expiration of term of service, at
Chapin's Farm, Va. He was in nearly every engagement
in which his regiment took part, although suffering much
from illness during a portion of his service.

After leaving the service he resided in Philadelphia,
where he was engaged as tutor and teacher. He was a
member of the Harvard Alumni Association of Philadel-
phia, and of the University Club, and a member of the
Masonic Fraternity. A widow, three sons, and two daugh-
ters survive him. The widow now resides in Philadelphia.

488 History of the Seventh Regiment

Captain Chase was a kind-hearted, genial gentleman,
correct in his deportment, and beloved by his brother
officers, and always bore himself with the dignity becom-
ing his rank and station. He was brave as the bravest,
always foremost at the front, and always ready for duty,
and had the utmost confidence of his men. Having been
one of the first men enlisted in Company D, we had ample
opportunity to know him well, and our duties bringing us
continually under his supervision during the three years of
his service, we can speak of him from personal knowledge.
We well remember our first acquaintance with him, and
how by his manly yet dignified bearing and kindly affable
manner he won our confidence, and we shall always re-
member the precise manner in which he performed his
duties, allowing no mistakes in his drill and official busi-
ness, and equal to any emergency ; not excitable, quick
of perception, giving character and tone to the service by
good habits morally, and by the blending of able, soldierly
qualities with those of scholarly attainments. He could
as easily and ably have filled the position of brigadier-
general as that of captain.

At the battle of Morris Island, S. C, July 10, 1863, we
remember him handling his compan}' in a splendid man-
ner, looking after the smallest detail, and again on the
march up through Florida, and at the battle of Olustee we
touched elbows going into the charge and at the close we
came out together, and we noticed how well he held his
company in line after the troops had broken ; again
out on the New Market road, Va., he was in charge of
the picket line, and a heavy charge was made by the
enemy just at night, driving in our pickets, and we noticed
particularly that Captain Chase was about the last one in,
and saved his men from capture. At the battle of Laurel
Hill, October 7, 1864, he held his company in its place
in line against one of the heaviest field charges we ever

New Hampshire Volunteers. 489

To the men of old Company D he was ever a steadfast
friend, and the few members of that company that survive
him will miss him, for he had always a kindly interest for
their welfare. We shall ever cherish his memory while
yet one of his comrades survive, and we will fondly hope
that one by one, as our camp-fires burn out and the phan-
tom relief guard silently beckons us to "fall in " to report
for muster " over the river," that we may surely recognize
the guiding spirit of our late captain and commander, and
that old-time touch of elbow to elbow and shoulder to
shoulder. Bravest of the brave, generous and kind-
hearted, Capt. James Morse Chase, forever farewell.

Capt. Nathan M. Ames.

Capt. Nathan M. Ames was the only son of William
Ames, Esq., and L3'dia (Merrill) Ames, and was born in
Hollis, N. H., June 27, 1827. Captain Ames settled in
Hollis as a farmer, and continued in that occupation until
the breaking out of the civil war in 1861. Naturally
vigorous and active, he manifested great energy in all
enterprises he undertook, and was ever earnestly engaged
in the promotion of the agricultural interests of his native
town. At the age of eighteen he held a position on the
stafl' of the brigade with which he was connected in the
State militia, and in i860 he was one of the organizers of
a militia company in Hollis, at that time known as the
Hollis Phalanx, of which he was made first lieutenant.
This company attended the annual muster and parade of
that year, which was held at Nashua, and won great praise
for its soldierl}' appearance and discipline, and many of
the members of the Phalanx formed the nucleus of the
oro-anization that afterwards enlisted from the town of
Hollis in the civil war that followed.

At the outbreak of the rebellion Captahi Ames at once
began the labor of recruiting a company .for the service.



Online LibraryHenry F. W. LittleThe Seventh Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion → online text (page 38 of 52)