eBooksRead.com books search new books
Henry Howland Crapo.

Certain comeoverers online

. (page 13 of 22)
Online LibraryHenry Howland CrapoCertain comeoverers → online text (page 13 of 22)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in 1706. I have
found no record that clearly proves that this
Elizabeth Shaw was the same Elizabeth Shaw who
married Nathan Chase and was the grandmother
of Anne Almy Chase. The date of her birth and
the absence of a record of any other Elizabeth
Shaw of a corresponding age would seem to indi-



294 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

cate that she and none other was the bride of
Nathan Chase. If so, you descend from Peter
Tallman. It has been stated, on what authority
I know not, that Peter Tallman was Dutch and
that he came over in 1648 in the ship Golden
Dolphin to New York, bringing with him three
negroes. His name first appears in Newport. He
was made a freeman in 1655. He was in Ports-
mouth in 1658 when several tracts of land were
deeded to him. In 1660 a highway was laid out
by land which "Peter Tallman bought of Daniel
Wilcox." In 1661 he was on a coroner's jury
which found that "he, the said Richard Eels, wos
drounded by stres of wethar axedentually." In
1661 it is stated that he was "Solicitor General"
of the Colony. In 1662 he was a Commissioner
for Portsmouth to the federated government of
Portsmouth, Newport and Warwick. Afterwards
he served as Deputy to the General Assembly on
several occasions. In 1671 Ensign Lot Strange
complained to the town that Peter Tallman would
not do the fair thing about maintaining a division
fence. The town sympathized with the Ensign
and advised him to sue Peter. In 1673 Peter was
"behind in rates." He claimed an offset against
the town which was allowed in settlement. In
1674 he was "presented" and imprisoned for
taking a deed of land from an Indian, and on
surrender of the deed was released. In 1675 he
was indicted for failure to maintain the fence
that Ensign Strange had complained about. In
this same year he brought suit against Rebecca
Sadler, wife of Thomas, for breach of the peace



ANTHONY SHAW AND PETER TALLMAN 295

and threatening his family. Thereafter there are
records of his serving on juries and in other
capacities until about 1683 when he seems to have
ceased to live an active life. He lived, however,
until 1708.

Peter Tallman's married career was varied.
From his first wife, Ann, he was granted a divorce
by the General Assembly. In 1665 he married
Joan Briggs of Taunton. The antenuptial agree-
ment between Peter and Joan and the deeds by
which it was confirmed are set forth in full in the
Portsmouth town records. The documents are
elaborately and excellently written, and indicate
a very liberal settlement on the bride. She bore
him several children, of whom your ancestress is
listed as the twelfth, and there were still others.
Joan died in 1685 and in 1686 Peter married for
the third time one Esther.

Elizabeth Shaw, the granddaughter of Anthony
Shaw and Peter Tallman, who married Nathan
Chase, was a grandmother of Anne Almy Chase.



Chapter VIII

PARDON TILLINGHAST

Came over 1643



Pardon Tillinghast 1622 — 1718

(Lydia Tabor)

Joseph Tillinghast 1677 — 1763

(Freelove Stafford)

Lydia Tillinghast 1700 — 1774

(Job Almy)

Job Almy 1730 — 1816

(Ann Slocum)

-Mary Almy
(Benjamin Chase)

Anne Almy Chase 1775 — 1864

(Williams Slocum)

Mary Ann Slocum 1805 — 1875

(Henry H. Crapo)

William W. Crapo 1830

(Sarah Davis Tappan)

Stanford T. Crapo 1865

(Emma Morley)

William Wallace Crapo 1895 —



PARDON TILLINGHAST

Pardon Tillinghast was born in 1622 at Severn
Cliffs, Beechy Head, in the County of Sussex on
the southeast coast of England. He was a free-
holder and started life as a shop-keeper. "Non-
conformist heart and soul, tradition has it that on
the outbreak of the civil war he joined the army
of Cromwell, in which case he may have taken
part in the battles of Edgehill and Marston
Moor." (From A Little Journey to the Home
of Elder Pardon Tillinghast, by John A. and
Frederick W. Tillinghast, 1908). Although he
would seem to have been with the then prevailing
party, yet that part of England where he dwelt
was still loyal to the King and Pardon's out-
spoken insurgency may have involved him in
trouble. At all events, he left his home and came
to New England in 1643, about the same time as
did that other ancestor of yours, Tristram Coffin,
and probably for a similar reason, although their
situations as Roundhead and Royalist were

Pardon Tillinghast settled in Providence, which
had been founded some seven years before by
Roger Williams. He was a "Quarter Shares
Man." In the division of "Home Lots" made
soon after his coming, he was allotted a plot of



300 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

five acres on the "Towne Street" near what is
now the corner of South Main and Transit
Streets. "All of the Home Lot proprietors built
their houses back from the Towne Street so as to
give each house a strip of greensward around it.
An orchard was generally built in the rear of the
house on the west slope of the hill, and narrow
lanes were laid out between the lots allowing
passage for cattle going back on the hill for
pasture ... At the rear of the houses, where
Benefit Street now runs, each proprietor, inde-
pendent to the last, laid out a separate graveyard
for the use of his family and his descendants.
Upon his home lot Pardon Tillinghast built his
house which, like those of his neighbors, was small
and built of rough woodwork that was wrought
chiefly with an axe, and following the example of
his neighbors he also located a graveyard in the
rear of his lot. There he is now buried, together
with about thirty of his descendants."

Pardon Tillinghast is best known as a Baptist
preacher, but he was also a man of many activities.
His business ventures were considerable and
formed the origin of the great mercantile wealth
of his descendants. He built the first wharf in
Providence, opposite his house lot, and carried on
various commercial enterprises in which his sons
later joined. He also was prominent in the
political life of the town, being a member of the
Town Council for nineteen years, Town Treasurer
for four years, and a Representative from Provi-
dence to the Colonial Assembly for six years.



PARDON TILLINGHAST



301



In 1681, Pardon Tillinghast became the minister
of the First Baptist Church, being the sixth suc-
cessor to Eoger Williams, who founded the church
in 1636. The church had no meeting-house for
many years, and in 1670 Pardon Tillinghast built
a church building on a lot owned by him ' ' between
the Towne Street and salt water" — on the west
side of what is now South Main Street. The
consideration stated in the deed is " Christian
love, good will and affection which I bear to the
Church of Christ in Providence, the which I am in
fellowship with and have the care of as being the
Elder of said Church." The following memo-
randum is appended to the deed:

Memo. — before the ensealing hereof I do declare
that whereas it is above mentioned, to wit, to the
church and their successors in the same faith and
order, I do intend by the words "same faith and order"
such as do truly believe and practice the six principles
of the doctrine of Christ mentioned Heb. — 6 — 2, such
as after their manifestation of repentance and faith are
baptized in water and have hands laid on them.

A sermon by Pardon Tillinghast preached in
1689, doubtless in this church, where he probably
continued to act as minister until his death in
1718, has been preserved. The sermon was
printed in a pamphlet entitled "Water Baptism
Plainly proved by Scripture to be a Gospel Pre-
cept—By Pardon Tillinghast, a servant of Jesus
Christ. Printed in the year 1689. " It is an ably
written controversial document. It reminds one
of a lawyer's brief with its citations from the
Bible to prove its points. It is logical and in-
tensely partisan. It was written in answer to a



302 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

Quaker, whose name was Kent, who had asserted
that it was the "Baptism of the Spirit" which the
holy writ meant. Tillinghast demolishes this
"spiritual" doctrine. He shows to his own com-
plete satisfaction that it is water, (H 2 0), that was
clearly prescribed. One can fancy what his in-
dignation would have been with the later develop-
ment of New England transcendentalism which
spiritualized away all the material and historical
stand-bys of religion. Listen for a moment to
his indignant outburst:

But those boasters of the spirit, being as clouds
without water, carried about by the wind, make it their
work as canker, as Hymeneus and Philetus did, to the
fault of the gospel and ordinances of the Lord Jesus,
wresting the Scriptures as Peter by the spirit did fore-
tell their own destruction. . . . Although he (the
Quaker) grant there may be such a state of childhood
as may use such things for a time as outward ordi-
nances, and wait thereon for the inward and spiritual
appearance of Christ's kingdom, yet their ministry and
dispensation are above it, and are born monsters, and
not babes to be fed with milk, as the Saints heretofore ;
the least of these babes despising outward ordinances
— pretending to inward revelations.

By his will, dated December 15, 1715, Pardon
Tillinghast bequeaths "my life and spirit unto the
hands of the Fountain of Life and Father of
Spirits from whom I have received it." He died
January 29, 1718, aged ninety-six years. He had

been twice married, first to Butterworth,

by whom he had three children, and second to
Lydia, daughter of Philip Tabor and Lydia
(Masters), by whom he had nine children, of
whom the fourth was Joseph, born August 11,



PARDON TILLINGHAST 303

1677, from whom you descend. Joseph was a suc-
cessful merchant living in Providence and associ-
ated with his brothers in Newport, where also he
lived during part of his life. It was his daughter
Lydia, named after Grandmother Tabor, who
married Job Almy, a great grandfather of Anne
Almy Chase.



Chapter IX

PHILIP TABOR

Came over prior to 1633



Philip Tabor
(Lydia Masters)



1605 — 1672+



Lydia Tabor
(Pardon Tillinghast)



— 1718+



JOSEPH TlLLINGH AST

(Freelove Stafford)



1677 — 1763



Lydia Tilling hast
(Job Almy)



1700 — 1774



Job Almy
(Ann Slocum)



1730 — 1816



.Mary Almy
(Benjamin Chase)



Anne Almy Cham:
(Williams Sloeum)



1775 — 1864



Mary Ann Slocum
(Henry H. Crapo)



1805 — 1875



William W. Crapo
(Sarah Davis Tappan)



1830 —



Stanford T. Crapo
(Emma Morley)



1865 —



William Wallace Crapo



1895 —



. (



PHILIP TABOR



Philip Tabor may be designated as your
migratory comeoverer." Most of your come-
overers, after a brief period of vacillation "sat
down ' ' and stayed put. It was not so with Philip
Tabor. Whence he came I know not. He was
probably born in England about 1605. He may
have come over with Winthrop in 1630, and settled
first at Boston. His was evidently a nature which
could permit no "pent up Utica" to contract his
powers, even if he did not go to the extreme of
making the "whole boundless continent his." Yet
his was not a "vaulting ambition which o'erleaps
itself," since he appears to have always landed
on his feet. Wherever he went he at once became
a "person of mark." Surely there must have
been something about his personality which im-
pressed itself with an exceptional force on the
various communities in which he sojourned.
There can be no doubt of Philip Tabor's vitality.
I confess that in trying to vitalize for you many
of your ancestors, I have been constrained to
"back to its mansion call the fleeting breath,"
having, in truth, nothing to call but "the shadow
of a shade." In the case of Philip Tabor, how-
ever, there is nothing shady about him except his
conduct. So far as his personality is concerned,



308 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

it is singularly distinct. He was in no sense an
important individual in the early history of New
England, and yet he succeeded in projecting his
personality rather more vividly than most of your
ancestors.

Philip Tabor was admitted a freeman of the
Massachusetts Bay Colony October 19, 1630. On
May 14, 1634, he was admitted a freeman of
Watertown. He was a carpenter and builder, and
must have come to New England with some capital
as well as skill in his trade. He was one of the
original contributors to a floating fort to protect
Boston in 1633-4. "Upon consideration of the
usefulness of a moving fort to be built forty feet
long and twenty-one wide, for defense of this
colony, and upon the free offer of some gentlemen
lately come over to us of some large sums of
money to be employed that way" the Court asked
for further subscriptions. The record shows that
Philip Tabor was among the gentlemen who had
already subscribed by offering to give two hun-
dred four inch planks, a substantial and useful
donation.

In Watertown he was the proprietor of five lots
which he sold to John Wolcot. Here he married
Lydia, the daughter of John Masters, with whom
very probably he was associated in construction
work. What caused him to remove to Yarmouth
we cannot know. It is quite likely that there was
an opportunity there for him as a builder. He
was propounded as a freeman of Plymouth Colony
January 7, 1638-9, and was admitted June 4, 1639.
That he should have served the same vear as a






PHILIP TABOR 309

Deputy for Yarmouth to the first General Court
at Plymouth is a striking example of his force -
fulness in impressing others with his ability. In
March, 1639, he was one of a committee to make
division of the planting lands at Yarmouth. In
1640, he again represented Yarmouth at the Gen-
eral Court. On October 4, 1640, as appears by
the church records of Barnstable, the Rev. Mr.
Lothrop baptized "John, son of Phillipp Tabor
dwelling at Yarmouth, a member of the church at
Watertown."

Philip Tabor remained in Yarmouth a few
years only and then removed to Great Harbor,
later known as Edgartown, on the island of
Martha's Vineyard. Thomas Mayhew of Water-
town had bought this island in 1641, and in 1642
"divers families including some of Watertown"
made the first settlement. It is quite probable
that Philip Tabor and his wife knew some of
these people as former neighbors in Watertown,
and it is evident that the newly started settlement
was in need of a builder. Just when Philip Tabor
first came to the Vineyard is uncertain. He was
living there before 1647, when he sold to John
Bland his interest in a tract of land "lying
against Mr. Bland's house at Mattakeekset. "
Philip Tabor, himself, lived at Pease's Point. He
was evidently one of the "proprietors" of the
island, as he shared in all the divisions of lands
as long as he was a resident of the island. That
he was somewhat closely associated with Thomas
Mayhew is evidenced by his witnessing a docu-
ment relating to Mr. Mayhew 's ward, Thomas
Paine, in 1647.



310 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

It is evident that he left the island occasionally
to undertake some new work of construction on
the continent. In 1651 he was in New London
working with his brother in law, Nathaniel Mas-
ters, on the Mill Dam. It is, indeed, possible that
after leaving Yarmouth and before going to the
Vineyard, he was in New London in 1642, or soon
after. It was then that the settlement was made
by the followers of the Rev. Mr. Blynman, from
Gloucester. Philip Tabor is named as one of the
early settlers, and seems to have had property
there. Very likely he assisted in building the
habitations of the original settlers. His wife's
sister, Elizabeth, the wife of Carey Latham, was
an early resident of New London. After leaving
the Vineyard, he still had some interests in New
London and in Connecticut, and several of his
descendants were afterwards there settled.

In 1653, Philip Tabor was back on the island,
when with Thomas Mayhew he was chosen one of
the four who acted as town 's committee, or Select-
men. In May, 1653, Thomas Mayhew, Thomas
Burchard, and Philip Tabor were chosen "to
divide to the inhabitants out of all the Necks so
much land as they in the best judgment shall see
meet." To Philip Tabor, himself, was set off
"The neck called Ashakomaksett from the bridge
that is at the East side of the head of the swamp."
The modern name of this locality is Mahachet.
Philip Tabor, in the same year, shared in the
division of the planting lands. During this and
the next vear or two he made several convevances
of land.



PHILIP TABOR 311

A year or two after, Philip Tabor was guilty
of certain indiscretions, which made it desirable
for him to remove from the island. He went to
Portsmouth. Under date of January 3, 1655, the
town records of Portsmouth say "Philip Tabor
is received an inhabitant and taken his ingage-
ment to the State of England and government of
this place and hath equal right of commonage
with the rest of the inhabitants of this towne."
It was probably after his final departure from
Edgartown that the following entry was made in
that town's records: "May 15, 1655. Itt is
agreed by ye 5 men yt Philip Tabor is proved to
be a man that hath been an attempter of women's
chastities in a high degree. This is proved by
Mary Butler and Mary Foulger, as divers more
remote testimonies by others, and words testified
from his own mouth with an horrible abuse of
scripture to accomplish his wicked end." In
August of the same year, Philip Tabor conveyed
his house and lot at Mahachet to Thomas Lawton,
a son in law of Peter Tallman, another ancestor
of yours, and thereafter he had no further his-
tory on the Vineyard.

Evidently the story of Philip Tabor's indis-
cretions on the Vineyard in no way prevented
him from taking a leading part in the affairs of
his new place of residence. In 1656 he acted on
the jury at the Court at Newport. In 1660, 1661,
and 1663, he represented Portsmouth as a com-
missioner to the General Court of the Union of
the Ehode Island Colonies, in the latter year being
on a committee to devise means of raising money



312 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

to pay Mr. John Clarke for his services as the
agent of the Colonies in England. During his
residence of about ten years in Portsmouth, he
constantly served the town as Rater, Tax Col-
lector, Constable, etc. In 1664 he described him-
self as "of Newport." In 1665 he sold his house
in Portsmouth, which was on the Newport road,
to Anthony Shaw, another of your comeoverers,
for £40 and three hundred good boards. In 1667
he was living in Providence, where he witnessed
certain deeds of real estate to his son in law,
Pardon Tillinghast, who had married his daughter
Lydia, April 16, 1664.

It is evident that Philip Tabor had a position
of some distinction in Providence. His daughter's
marriage to the leading minister and wealthiest
merchant of the town would have accomplished
that. In a deposition made in June, 1669, in which
he savs that he is sixty-four vears old, he describes
the events connected with the drowning of a young
boy, "the widow Ballou's lad," and tells how he
"went down to the river which runneth by his
house." Where this house was I have not dis-
covered. In 1671, "at his Majestie's Court of
Justices sitting at Newport for the Colony of
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" Philip
Tabor and Roger Williams gave evidence against
one William Harris for "speaking and writing
against his Majestie's gracious Charter to his
Colony," which treasonable conduct was evidently
regarded very seriously by the Court.

There is no further record of Philip Tabor. He
probably died in Providence soon after 1672. At



PHILIP TABOR 313

what date his wife, Lydia Masters, died does not
appear, but he evidently married a second time
one Jane, who joined in the deposition above
referred to. His son Philip came to Dartmouth
and married Mary Cooke, the daughter of John
Cooke, and was the ancestor of the numerous
Taber families of Dartmouth. The Tabers set-
tled on the west branch of the Coakset River and
there built a mill, the locality being then known
as Taber 's Mills, and now known as Adamsville.
It was probably a grandson, Philip, who was a
well known Baptist minister of Coakset. He lived
at the south end of Sawdy Pond in Tiverton and
had many descendants. It is possible that the
first Philip may have spent his last days in Tiver-
ton, as there seems to be some tradition to that
effect.

John Masters, the father of Philip Tabor's wife
Lydia, and your ancestor, undoubtedly came ovei
with Winthrop in 1630. Winthrop writes under
date of January 27, 1631: "The governor and
some company with him went up by Charles River
about eight miles above Watertown, and named
the fish brook on the north side of the river . . .
Beaver Brook because the beavers had shorn
down divers great trees there and made divers
dams across the brook. Thence they went to a
great rock, upon which stood a high stone, cleft
in sunder, that four men might go through, which
they called Adam's Chair, because the youngest
of their company was Adam Winthrop. Thence
they came to another brook, greater than the
former, which they called Masters' Brook, because



314 CERTAIN COMEOVERERS

the eldest of their company was one John
Masters." This brook was later known as Stony
Brook and now forms the boundary, in part, divid-
ing Waltham and Weston.

On May 18, 1631, John Masters was made a
freeman of Watertown. In June of the same
year he undertook the first engineering feat of its
kind in the Colony. It was the original intention
of the magistrates to locate the seat of govern-
ment at Newtown, later called Cambridge, and
with this in view, perhaps, it is recorded that :
"Mr. John Maisters hath undertaken to make
a passage from Charles River to the New Town,
twelve foot broad and seven foot deep, for which
the Court promiseth him satisfaction, according
as the charges thereof shall amount unto." The
cost was thirty pounds.

In 1631 John Masters was one of those who pro-
tested against the admission of unworthy mem-
bers to the church at Watertown. In 1632 he and
John Oldham were a committee from Watertown
to advise with the Governor and assistants re-
specting the raising of the public funds. In 1633
John Masters removed to the New Town. At
first it would seem that he lived on the highway
to Windmill Hill. He had other properties. In
1635 he owned a house and seven acres of land on
the west side of Ash Street, near Brattle Street.
In the same year he was licensed to keep an ordi-
nary and discharged from his duty as innkeeper
shortly before his death in 1639. He died in Cam-
bridge December 2, 1639, and his wife, Jane, died
on December 20 of the same year. In his will he
provides for his daughter, Lydia Tabor.



Chapter X

STUKELEY WESTCOTE

Came over prior to 1636

AND

THOMAS STAFFOED

Came over prior to 1626



Stukeley Westcote

( )



1592 — 1677



Mercy Westcote
(Samuel Stafford)



—1700



Freelove Stafford
(Joseph Tillinghast)



— 1711+



Lydia Tillinghast
(Job Almy)



1700 — 1774



Job Almy

(Ann Sloeum)



1730 — 1816



Maby Almy
(Benjamin Chase)



Anne Almy Chase
(Williams Sloeum)



1775 _ 1864



Mary Ann Slocum
(Henry H. Crapo)



1805 — 1875



William W. Crapo
(Sarah Davis Tappan)



1830 —



Stanford T. Crapo
(Emma Morley)



1S65 —



William Wallace Crapo



1895 —



STUKELEY WESTCOTE



The parentage of Stukeley Westcote is un-
known. Doubtless he was in some way a descend-
ant of a St. Ledger Westcot, who in 1300 married
a daughter of the line of Stukeleys of Affeton.
The combination of somewhat unusual names cer-
tainly indicates this origin. He was born about
1592, probably in County Devon. When about
forty-four years of age he came to this country
with his family, and was received as an inhabitant
and freeman of Salem as early as 1636. A house
lot of one acre near the harbor was granted to
him in 1637. A short time only was he allowed
to enjoy it. He was the warm friend and sup-
porter of Roger Williams, the minister, for a
time, of the first church at Salem. ' ' Mr. Williams
did lay his axe at the very root of the magistrati-
cal powers in matters of the first table, which he
drove on at such a rate so as many agitations
were occasioned thereby that pulled ruin upon
himself, friends, and his poor family. ' ' On March
12, 1638, the General Court passed upon Stukeley
Westcote the "great censure'' for heresy and
banished him with other adherents of Williams,
from the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Bay
Colony. Westcote followed his leader, Roger
Williams, to Providence, and was one of the



318



CERTAIN COMEOVERERS



twelve "loving friends and neighbors" whom


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Online LibraryHenry Howland CrapoCertain comeoverers → online text (page 13 of 22)
Using the text of ebook Certain comeoverers by Henry Howland Crapo active link like:
read the ebook Certain comeoverers is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014