Herbert Hunt.

Washington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) online

. (page 28 of 76)
Online LibraryHerbert HuntWashington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) → online text (page 28 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


city attorney, but not being actively engaged in the practice of law, did not qual-
ify. Following the Civil war he had become a stalwart advocate of the republican
party and was ever deeply interested in the vital and significant political problems
of the day, lending the weight of his influence toward winning support therefor.

On the 1st of October. 1863, Judge Kellogg was married in Nevada, Iowa, to
]\Iiss ]Mar}' E. Diffenbacher. who sunnves him and still occupies the old home in
Bellingham. Judge Kellogg died September i, 1902, and left surviving him his
widow and three children ; two daughters, ]\Irs. W. H. \\^elbon and Mrs. Thomas
L. Savage ; and one son, John A. Kellogg, who was later judge of the superior court
of the state of Washington for Whatcom county.

For years Judge Kellogg was a prominent member of the ^^lasonic fraternity
and his activities for moral progress in the community were marked and resultant.
He became a most active worker in the Presbyterian church, with which he united
in early manhood, and after coming to the northwest he organized the first Sunday
school on Bellingham bay and assisted in founding the first church in Whatcom
county. For years he served as elder in the Presbyterian church and in 1893 was
selected as a delegate from the Presbytery of Puget Sound to the Presbyterian
General Assembly which in that year convened in Washington, D. C. Of him it
has been said : "Judge George Albert Kellogg was a man of pleasing personality
and was a man who always stood for the best in the upbuilding of the community
in which he resided, and his memory will long be cherished as one of the found-
ers and builders of \\'hatcom county and the present city of Bellingham."



JUDGE JOHN ALONZO KELLOGG.

By reason of the wise use of which he made of his time and talents, Judge John
Alonzo Kellogg, of Bellingham, carved his name high on the keystone of Wash-
ington's legal arch, being recognized as one of the most distinguished jurists of
the state. Inspired by the example of an honored father whose activities consti-
tuted one of the most important elements in the development and progress of
Whatcom county through its pioneer period and also through the era of later
development, he has come to the front and through devotion to duty and to high
ideals has made his record one which reflects credit and honor upon his fellow
citizens who have honored him.

He was born in Whatcom, now Bellingham, on the 17th of September, 1871,
a son of Judge George Albert Kellogg, and after attending the public schools of his
native city continued his education in the University of Washington, which con-
ferred upon him the Bachelor of Science degree upon his graduation with the
ciass of 1892. Whether natural predilection, early environment or inherited tend-



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 257

ency had most to do with shaping his choice of a profession it is impossible to
determine, but at all events this choice was wisely made, for in the field of law
practice Judge Kellogg has made substantial advance since he began preparation
for the bar as a student in the law department of the Northwestern University
at Chicago, where he was graduated in 1894. He first opened a law office in North-
port, Washington, where he remained for eight years and during that period was
also prominent in connection with the public atTairs of the city, of which he was
one of the incorporators. Election after election established him in the office of
city attorney, where he continued until 1904, when he was elected to represent
Stevens county in the state legislature. He took an active part in framing the
legislative work of the session and was the promoter of the state oil inspection bill.
He also secured the passage by the house of the so-called dependent heirs' bill,
providing for recovery for death by wrongful act of another, by fathers, mothers,
or minor brothers and sisters when dependent for support. The bill was killed
in the senate during that session but became a law in 1909.

Judge Kellogg returned to Bellingham in 1905 and opened a law office in that
city and in 1907, when the legislature gave to Whatcom county an additional judge
of the superior court, he was appointed to the bench by the governor. At the pri-
mary election of the following year he received the highest vote given to any of
seven candidates and was elected to the office for a term of four years. At
the close of that term, in January, 1913, he retired from the bench, having been
defeated at the 1912 election, due to a combination of circumstances — partly due
to the working of the local option law and wet and dry fight. He has since devoted
his energies to his private law practice, which is extensive and of a notable char-
acter.

In November, 1908, Judge Kellogg was united in marriage to Miss Nellie J.
McBride and to them have been born two children : John Albert, born October 20,
1909; and Mary Katherine, born May 17, 1915. Fraternally the Judge is con-
nected with the Elks, Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, Wood-
men of the World, the Cougar Club and the Kulshan Club. The republican party
numbers him among its stanch and stalwart supporters. A contemporary writef
has said of him : "He is an entertaining speaker and holds his audience by the
force and clarity of his reasoning rather than by appeal to prejudice." Judge Kel-
logg is in every relation a strong man, strong in his ability to plan and perform
for the benefit of his city or for the interests of his clients. He never allows his
activity in one direction to interfere with the faithful performance of his duties
in another. In a word, his is a well balanced character and his worth as a man and
a citizen is widely acknowledged.



GEORGE ANDERSON.



George Anderson, city clerk of Port Townsend, has a notable record of
service covering ten years, re-election as a candidate of the citizen's party con-
tinuing him in the office through that extended period. Abraham Lincoln said :
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of
the time, but yon can't fool all of the people all of the time." And therefore it



258 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

is a self-evident fact that capability, promptness, efficiency and loyalty have char-
acterized the record of Mr. Anderson in the discharge of his duties. He was
born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Alarch 12, 1850, a son of John B. Anderson,
a native of Scotland, where he followed the occupation of farming as a life
work, his death occurring in that country in 1904. He married Catherine Div-
erty, also a native of the land of hills and heather. Following her husband's
demise she removed with members of her family to Africa, locating in Johannes-
burg, where she passed away in 191 2, at the age of eighty-four years.

In a family of twelve children George Anderson was the third. The public
schools of his native country afforded him his educational opportunities and his
early life was spent upon the farm to the age of twenty years, when he started
out on his own account. His first employment in America was that of clerk in
mercantile lines. He crossed the Atlantic in 1870 and made his way to Lake
Forest, Illinois, where he spent fifteen years in business as a merchant. In 1891
he came to W^ashington, settling at Port Townsend, where he again followed
mercantile pursuits for ten years. In 1906 he was appointed city clerk to fill out
an unexpired term and since then has been re-elected until his retention in the
office covers a period of a decade. He has always been a stalwart republican
since becoming a naturalized American citizen, giving earnest and active sup-
port to the party.

In IJbertyville, Illinois, in 1876. Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Jeanette Lake, a native of New York and a daughter of Thomas and
Catherine (Hill) Lake, representatives of an old New York family. Her great-
grandfather. Governor Chittenden, was the first chief executive of Vermont.
Among her ancestors were those who participated in the Revolutionary war and
the War of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have become the parents of four chil-
dren: Katherina N., the wife of A. R. Strathie, of Port Townsend; L. Ruth,
the wife of Maurice S. Whittier, deputy collector of customs at Juneau, Alaska ;
A. Lucille ; and A. Frank. The last named has been a clerk in the Merchants
Bank of Port Townsend for eleven years.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian church and Mr.
Anderson is also a member of the Woodmen of the World. His loyalty to his
belief has ever been one of his marked characteristics and neither fear nor favor
can swerve him from a course which he believes to be right. He stands for
that which is best in citizenship, doing everything in his power to promote those
interests which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride, and throughout his
adopted city he is held in the highest regard.



E. F. BARKER.



The name of Barker has been associated with the furniture trade at Hoquiam
almost from the inception of the city and has ever been a synonym for reliable
and enterprising business methods. E. F. Barker was bom in Des Moines, Iowa,
in 1885, but almost his entire life has been passed in Aberdeen, where his father,
F. H. Barker, located at an early day. becoming the pioneer furniture merchant
of the city. He lived at Hoquiam and at Aberdeen for many years but is now



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 259

a resident of Tacoma, where he is enjoying well earned rest, having put aside all
business cares.

Spending his youthful days in Hoquiam, E. F. Barker attended the public
schools and when his text books were put aside received his business training
under the direction of his father, in 1900, entering the furniture store then locat-
ed at Aberdeen. In 1903 the firm burned out and in 1913 the business was sold
to Mr. Comeau. E. F. Barker then went to Seattle and was salesman for the
firm of Frederick & Nelson for two and one-half years in their furniture depart-
ment. In March, 191 6, he became one of the organizers of the Barker Furniture
Company of Aberdeen, of which he was made president, with H. A. Comeau as
vice president and secretary. They took over the business of H. A. Comeau,
who had been conducting a furniture store on Market street for some time. They
removed their stock to the Finch building, where they are now conducting an
up-to-date furniture and house furnishings business, carrying a large, carefully
selected and attractive stock. The integrity of their business methods, the spirit
of enterprise with which they conduct their interests and their indefatigable energy
are the qualities that are bringing to them deserved success.

In 1909, in Aberdeen, Mr. Barker was married to Miss Lou Belle Campbell,
a daughter of Morris Campbell and a native of Michigan. They have one son,
Edward Henry. In the social circles of Aberdeen they occupy an enviable posi-
tion, having many friends in this city, where Mr. Barker has spent practically
his entire life. His record in every connection is creditable and what he has
undertaken he has accomplished, making steady advancement along the line of
orderly progression.



DANIEL WALDO BASS.

Daniel Waldo Bass, who is one of the managers of the Hotel Frye of Seattle,
is a representative of that class of energetic, alert and capable men upon whom
the advancement of their communities rests in such large measure. Quick to
see and utilize business opportunities, he also cooperates in movements seeking
the progress of Seattle along other lines. He was born at Salem, Oregon, on the
22d of July, 1864, and is the only son of Samuel and Avarilla (Waldo) Bass.
He has one sister. Miss Jessie Logan Bass, who is likewise living in this city. He
is a grandson of the well known Oregon pioneers, Daniel and Melinda Waldo,
who crossed the plains in 1843, when the journey was not only tedious but also
dangerous, and for whom the Waldo hills, seven miles east of Salem, Oregon, were
named.

Daniel Waldo Bass received liberal educational advantages, attending Willa-
mette University at Salem, Oregon, the University of Oregon at Eugene, and
the law school of Willamette University. For fourteen years he practiced law
in Seattle and during the years 1893 and 1894 he held the office of deputy prose-
cuting attorney under John F. Miller. His thorough preparation for the profes-
sion, his natural ability and his habit of taking into account all features in his
cases made him a successful attorney, but in 1905 he turned his attention to busi-
ness interests. From that date until 1907 he was prominently connected with the



260 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

manufacture of shingles in the state of Washington. He conducted his indi-
vidual manufacturing interests well and also organized the shingle mills of the
state into an association known as the Shingle Mills Bureau, which he success-
fully managed for two or three years and W'hich proved of great value to the
trade. In 1908 he closed his shingle mill and became manager of the Skagit
Trading Company, conducting a general store at McMurray, Washington, and
also devoted considerable time to the operation of his farm., located near McMur-
ray. On leaving McAIurray he returned to Seattle as one of the managers of the
Hotel Frye, a position which he is still filling to the satisfaction of all concerned.
The hotel is acknowledged to be one of the leading hostelries of the Pacific coast
and to manage it successfully requires a high order of business acumen and
executive ability — qualities which "Sir. Bass possesses in a marked degree.

Mr. Bass was married on the 14th of December, 1908, to Miss Sophie Frye,
who is a daughter of the well known pioneers, George F. and Louisa C. Frye, the
latter a daughter of A. A. Denny, the founder of Seattle. Mr. Bass is well
known in Masonic circles, belonging to Arcana Lodge, No. 87, A. F. & A. M.,
which was organized largely through his efforts and which is now one of the
leading if not the leading lodge of the state of Washington. He belongs also to
the Scottish Rite bodies and the Mystic Shrine. While living in ]McMurray he
served as postmaster for three years, resigning that office at the time of his re-
turn to Seattle. In that connection as in all others he proved very efficient and
made a highly creditable record. He is a western man by birth and training and
his thorough understanding of conditions throughout this section of the country
has enabled him to work intelligently for the further advancement and the future
development of his city.



REV. HIRAM P. SAINDON.

Rev. Hiram P. Saindon, pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception
at Everett, was born near Kankakee, Illinois, in March, 1864, a son of John B.
Saindon, who was a native of Canada and was of French descent. The grand-
father, John Saindon, was also a native of Canada and a descendant of Peter
Saindon, who was one of four brothers, John, James, Peter and Charles, who
went from France to Acadia, and two years after the dispersion of the Acadians,
these brothers settled on the banks of the St. Lawrence river near Cacouna.
John B. Saindon, father of the Rev. Hiram P. Saindon, was born October 28,
1828, in the parish of St. George, at Cacouna, Canada, and was educated in the
common schools of that locality. In early manhood he followed carpentering
and during his school days he became the sweetheart and suitor of Theotista
Saindon, a neighbor and a distant relative. In 1850 her father emigrated with
his family to Illinois and John B. Saindon soon afterward followed. There in
February, 1853, he was joined in the holy bonds of wedlock, the marriage cere-
mony being performed in Kankakee. Illinois. They afterward resided in Lo-
gansport, Indiana, until 1877 ^"^ then removed to the Pacific coast, arriving in
Portland, Oregon, on the ist of November of that year. After a few months,
however, they came to Washington, settling on the Cowlitz prairie, in Lewis



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES . 261

county, where Mr. Saindon secured a homestead and followed farming through-
out the remainder of his active life. In his later years he lived retired, enjoying
the fruits of his former toil, passing away in Chehalis, Washington, April 13,
1912. His wife was born March 15, 1836, in the same parish as her hus-
band, and was a daughter of David Saindon, a descendant of James Sain-
don, one of the four brothers who originally came from France. By her
marriage she became the mother of eleven children, six of whom are yet
living. Her death occurred in Chehalis, Washington, October 20, 1906. The
sons and daughters of the family who still survive are : Frank, a resident of
Chehalis ; Hiram P. ; Joseph and Alexander, living in Chehalis ; Josephine, the
wife of Frank Calvin, of Chehalis ; and Eleonore, the widow of James Pattison,
of Chehalis.

Rev. Hiram P. Saindon began his education in the parochial schools of
Logansport, Indiana, and afterward spent two years in the parochial schools of
Portland, Oregon, and three years at Vancouver, Washington. He next entered
St. Hyacinthe's Seminary at St. Hyacinthe, near Montreal, Canada, where he
pursued the complete course in classics and philosophy. The succeeding four
years were passed as a student in the Grand Seminary at Montreal. In 1892 he
was ordained by Bishop Junger in Vancouver, Washington, and was assigned to
his first charge as assistant priest at the cathedral at Vancouver, where he con-
tinued for four years. His next charge was at the Indian reservation at Tulalip,
Snohomish county, where he continued for one year and thence went to Olympia
to take charge of St. Michael's church. He continued as pastor there for four
years and from Olympia was transferred to the pastorate of St. John's church at
Chehalis, where he remained for two years. Subsequently he went to Everett,
Washington, where he arrived in September, 1903. His efforts there have been
largely resultant. He purchased the ground and erected the Church of the Im-
maculate Conception on the southeast corner of Hoyt avenue and Twenty-fifth
street, the edifice being built in 1904. The church was opened with a member-
ship of one hundred and twenty-five families, which has since increased to
one hundred and sixty famiHes. He has purchased a tract of land, 125 feet by
120 feet in dimensions, opposite the church for a school site. In addition to his
priestly duties Father Saindon is very active in the Knights of Columbus and the
Catholic Order of Foresters, in both of which organizations he is serving as
chaplain. As the result of his zeal and consecration in the work, Catholicism has
been growing in this section and the church has become a strong influence among
its parishioners.



HERBERT GODFREY.



Herbert Godfrey, president of the Knight-Godfrey Mercantile Company, In-
corporated, dealers in general merchandise at Sequim. was born in Bedford-
shire, England, October 5, 1879. His father, William Godfrey, a native of that
country, died in January, 1914, at the age of seventy-one years. He was a suc-
cessful farmer and also engaged in raising and feeding stock. In his com-
munity he was prominent in connection with local afifairs and for a period of



262 WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES

ten years was a member of the board of guardians in the town of Buckingham.
He married Elizabeth A. Marriott, also a native of England, and her death
occurred in Buckingham in 1901, at the age of fifty-nine. In the family were
ten children, the eighth of whom was Herbert Godfrey.

After attending public schools of his native country and further pursuing
his education by attendance at night schools, Herbert Godfrey concentrated his
efforts upon farm work, early becoming familiar with the tasks of plowing,
planting and harvesting. He was thus engaged until 1902 and in the following
year, when a young man of twenty- four, he came to the new world and crossed
the continent to the Pacific coast, settling first at Chimacum, in Jefferson county,
Washington. There he entered the employ of the Glendale Creamer}^ Company,
with which he was connected for six years, after which he returned to England
on a visit, remaining away for eight months. When he again reached Wash-
ington he once more entered the employ of the Glendale Creamery Company
but afterward removed to Sequim and formed a partnership with J. T. Knight
in the organization and incorporation of the Knight-Godfrey Company for the
conducting of a mercantile business. They today have one of the leading stores
of Sequim, building up a large and gratifying trade.

In September, 1912, at Port Angeles, Clallam county, Washington, Mr. God-
frey was joined in wedlock to ]\Iiss Alargaret Ritchie, her father being W. B.
Ritchie, who is engaged in the practice of law at Port Angeles and represents
one of the prominent families of the city. Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey have one son,
George Ritchie, who was born at Port Angeles on the 24th of June, 1915.

While in England, Mr. Godfrey was a member of the Royal Bucks Hussars
for six years, thus being active in the cavalry service. This constitutes his mili-
tary experience. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, being senior
warden of the lodge at Sequim, and he also belongs to the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. He is likewise a member of the Commercial Club and belongs to
the Pacific Northwest Hardware & Implement Association. He was elected city
treasurer in the fall of 1916 for the third term. He is thoroughly satisfied with
the progress that he has made in the west and has never for a moment regretted
his determination to come to the new world, where he has felt that good oppor-
tunities are offered to the man of laudable ambition and energy. Step by step
he has advanced in his business career and his perseverance and determination
have constituted a safe foundation on which to build prosperity.



JOHN H. BAST.

Among the prominent and well known citizens of Everett connected with the
development of this part of the state from pioneer days is John H. Bast, a suc-
cessful brick contractor, who represents a family that has been identified with
the settlement and improvement of Snohomish county from a very early day.
Before the city of Everett was ever dreamed of his father. Englebert Bast, took
up his abode in Snohomish count}'. This was in 1879. He acquired five hundred
and fifty acres of land on the east side of the Snohomish river where the town
of Everett was first platted and embracing that district now commonly called



O

K

>
w

>

>

I— I




THE



PUBLIC



NEW



yonK



^bkah



^Ii.O£






TrON



WASHINGTON, WEST OF THE CASCADES 265

Riverside. On that tract he tilled the soil and became one of the county's first
and most prosperous agriculturists. It was no unusual sight to see many Indians
in their canoes on the river, in fact hundreds in a day from the Snoqualmie River
reservation passed going to the hop fields to work. He established the first indus-
trial enterprise in this section of Washington, starting a brickyard on a location
now included in the city of Everett, and his son, John H. Bast, blew the first
whistle. When the Union Pacific Railroad was built through this section of the
state with Tacoma as the terminus Mr. Bast was ofl:ered two hundred and fifty
thousand dollars for his land by the railroad company but, like many another
man, he refused the offer. Later on when the town was platted by the improve-
ment company they offered him one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars
for his property, which was again turned down. Then the hard times set in and
Mr. Bast was forced to mortgage his entire holdings and ultimately lost his five
hundred and fifty acre farm. He bravely set out to recoup his shattered fortunes,
taking up the work of contracting, and many of the first buildings in Everett were
erected by him. He continued actively in that line up to the time of his death,
which occurred November 21, 1907. He was a firm believer in the great value of
education and served as a member of the first school board in this locality and the
first schoolhouse is still standing upon the old Bast homestead. School was con-
ducted there before the city of Everett had come into being, and the first teacher
was Miss Frear.

John H. Bast, now one of Everett's leading citizens and one of its best known
contractors, was born in Detroit, Michigan, December 24, 1859, and is of German
descent, for his parents, Englebert and Gertrude (Appell) Bast, were natives of
Prussia and Hesse-Darmstadt respectively. The mother's people were originally



Online LibraryHerbert HuntWashington, west of the Cascades; historical and descriptive; the explorers, the Indians, the pioneers, the modern; (Volume 3) → online text (page 28 of 76)