Class _.,^,1^ ,
Book ^^ J^lA
Price 25 Cents
HIRAM A. REID, AM M D.
Author of "History of Pasadena ' and other works.
Dr Keid djes n3i stop at any half-way house, but searches for the
odermosi bottom facts to draW his c Dnclusions from ." - Littt't of P> tiuient
itnd Pn i\liÂ» s ,if ihi- Stall AiUfiiiÂ»\ oj Scieiut'^ al Ih:, Moint!,,
ii'U'U. - ii\j.
DR. REID'S â¢
GIVING NAME AND LOCATION OF
Over Two Hundred Natural Objeds, Historic
Sites and Strudures, Places of Interest,
Mountain Features, etc. in and
For Information, Ready Reference, or Ramble
Guidance of Tourists, Visitors, New
Settlers, and All Citizens
BY H. A, REID, A. M., M. D.
Of the Pasadena History Company, and with full privilege of all its
copyrighted matter and later coIJedions
96'98 East Colorado Street, Pasadena, California
DEC 11 1905
CUSS a. XXc. No.
/ S / 99 ^
It is a fact that there are in and around Pasadena a marvelous number
of places, natural objects, mountain features, old Spanish structures, his-
toric sites, geological field marks, etc., that have local names, historic
associations, or scientific significance, and therefore have some measure
of special interest for the more intelligent and knowledge-seeking class of
tourists, or winter visitors, as well as for our own citizens. People have
different tastes and inclinations as to what particular things they would
like to see, or learn about. And this Hand-book gives a lead to just the
things each wants to find, either to see for oneself, or to read full and
authentic information about them. And thus you can plan most interest-
ing and satisfactory trips of your own, not confined to the perfunctory
routine courses, and make your own excursions by foot, or horseback, or
carriage, or automobile, or electric cars.
The names of places or objects, their location, the way of reaching
them, and sometimes a few historic data are given. Then reference is
made to pages in the large volume History of Pasadena where full par-
ticulars may be found. Copies of said History are in shelf for free con-
sultation at the Public Library, or in the libraries of Throop Polytechnic
Institute, or the High School, or the Y. M. C. A. Or, it may be purchased
from the Author, at 133 Mary Street ; or at Glasscock's Book Store, No.
96-98 East Colorado Street.
Copyrighted 1905 by H. A Keid Press of the Pasadfiia News
Things and Places Historic, Scientific, or Else wise
Adobe House. â On southeasterly foot of Raymond Hill. First house
ever built on Rancho San Pasqual, (1S39). The Mexican army after its
two days' battles east of Los Angeles, Jan, 8, 9, 1847, camped here and
used this adobe house for its headquarters, Jan. 9, 10, 11. And from
this house negotiations were opened with Col. Fremont, then at San Fer-
nando Old Mission, resulting in their surrender to him Jan. 13th, 1847.
See full account in History of Pasadena, pages 71-72, and 98-99.
Alhambra. â A village (incorporated 1903), three to four miles south
easterly from Pasadena. Has fruit and walnut orchards and fine resi-
dences. See History of Pasadena, pages 336-7.
Alpine Tavern. â Hotel at upper terminus of the Mt. Lowe Electric
railroad, foot of Mt. Lowe, at altitude of 5,000 feet. Built in 1895. See
History of Pasadena, pages 452-3.
Altadena. â A settlement of elegant homes, with orange groves and
fruit orchards, up nearest the mountains along the line of the Mt. Lowe
railway. Marengo and Lake avenues extend up through it clear into Los
Flores Canyon. See History of Pasadena, page 342 ; also page 432.
Animals. â See History of Pasadena, pages 575 to 604 for account ol
all animals, birds or reptiles ever found native in this region. ^
Arroyo Seco. â A great gorge and rain-season waterway extending
from Los Angeles to Pasadena, and thence twenty miles farther up into the
mountains. The "natural park" feature of the Arroyo which so much de-
lighted President Roosevelt during his visit here May 8th, 1903, extends
from foot of Columbia street northward to the Linda Vista bridge. This
particular section was named "Giant's Glen" in 1884. See History of Pasa-
dena, pages 387-8.
Athletic Park. â (Also called "Tournament Park.") Southeast cor-
ner of Wilson avenue and California street. Half mile speeding track.
City owns this park. See art. "Tournament of Roses."
Baldwin's Ranch. â Five miles straight east from Pasadena. Known
historically as Rancho Santa Anita. See History of Pasadena, pages 17-18.
Beaudry's Tunnel. â Through range of foothills on road from San
Rafael Heights to Garvanza and Los Angeles. See History of Pasadena,
pages 389-90. An electric railroad line is to run through it.
Black Jack Peak. â A mountain pinnacle of black porphyritic rock in
next range north of Mt. Lowe. Seen from Pasadena as a lesser peak just
4 DR. H. A. REID'S
in front of Strawberry peak over the west shoulder of Mt. Lowe. This
extremely difficult peak was climbed in 1887 by Jason and Owen Brown,
sons of the historic "Old John Brown" of Harper's Ferry fame, and named
by them in memory of the battle of Black Jack, Kansas, June 2, 1856, in
\vhich they took part. See History of Pasadena, page 370.
Bo.\RD OF Trade Rooms. â No. 29 West Colorado street.
Botany. â Those who delight in this branch of knowledge will find m
History of Pasadena, pages 605 to 649, the name and classification of every
vegetable growth ever found native within ten miles of Pasadena.
Brick Factory. â On Lii)erty street, between El ]\Iolino and Lake ave-
nues. See History of Pasadent, pages 461-2; also see page 559. about the
glacial "boulder clay" formation used by this factory.
Bristol's Cabin. â Southwest corner of North Orange Grove and Lin-
coln avenue. A small up-and-down rough board structure, 20x22 feet,
which was the historic first house built in the colony (Jan., 1874) out of
which the City of Pasadena has grown. See History of Pasadena, page 109.
Buzzard Cliff. â A spur or promontory projecting eastward from the
hills west of the Aroyo. It is reached via the Scoville bridge, and Sco-
ville's private roadway winding up to the top of the hill range and Sco-
ville's Ridge. See History of Pasadena, page 374; also page 68.
Cannery. â Corner Raymond avenue and Glenarm street.
Carmelita. â Northeast corner Orange Grove avenue and Colorado'
street. Founded by ]\Irs. Jeanne C. Carr in 1880. Being an enthusiastic
botanist, and wishing to give an object lesson on Pasadena climate, she
took special pains to obtain and have growing in her grounds trees, plants,,
shrubs or vines from every zone and every continent in the world. Early
in 1884, Mrs. Helen Hunt Jackson was a guest at this place, while her fa-
mous story of "Ramona" was running as a serial in the weekly Christian
Union at New York, and she sometimes sat writing in the little rustic
cabin which fronts on Colorado street from these grounds. President
Roosevelt w^as taken through these grounds ]\Iay 8, 1903.
Carnegie Observatory. â See Art. "Solar Observatory." See also
Central Park. â Bounded on north by Vineyard street, east by Ray-
mond avenue, south by Glendale street, west by Fair Oaks avenue. Estab-
lished in 1903 by the city. Cost $130,000.
Chapman's Glen. â Upper part of Millard Canyon, where timbers
were gotten out for building the old church at the Plaza in Los Angeles in
1818-19, by Joe Chapman, an American sailor from Maine held as a pirate
prisoner by the Spaniards. A trail leads from Alpine Tavern down the
canyon to some stumps and chopped trees still remaining there as he left
them. See History of Pasadena, pages, 385-6.
Chapman's Indian Camp. â This was on the east blufif at the mouth of
Millard Canyon, now known as "the Simmons place." (Mrs. Simmons
is a granddaughter of the historic "Old John Brown.") It was here that
Chapman with a club vannnished a whole tribe of wild Indians raiding his
camp in the night. See History of Pasadena, page 48.
PASADEXA HAND-BOOK 5
Chapman's Mill.â Built in 1821, a few rods south of the San Gabriel'
Old Mission church. Only the foundation ruins remain. It was built by
Joseph Chapman, an American sailor captured from a Venezuelan privateer
ship near Santa Barbara in 1818. He was sentenced by courtmartial to
be tied by his feet to the tail of a wild horse and turned loose, but was
saved from this savage doom by -a young girl, granddaughter of Governor
General Ortega ; and four years later he was married to that girl. See full
account in History of Pasadena, pages 43 to 52.
City Farm. â Also called "Sewer Farm," with garbage crematory lands
added. About six miles south of Pasadena, via Garfield avenue to Alham-
bra, then two miles farther south, on Los Angeles road. Total of 467
acres. Valued in 1905 at $140,000.
' City Hall. â Northeast corner Fair Oaks avenue and Union street.
Erected in 1903. Cost $58,000.
City Library.â Southeast corner Raymond avenue and Walnut street.
Erected 1888-89-90- 1 901. For full account, see History of Pasadena, pages
202 to 211. Valued March i, 1904, at $60,878.75.
City Water Lands. â (Reserve resource). Forty acres near El Monte,
about seven miles southeasterly from Pasadena. Cost $4,400.
Churches. â Our eight largest and costliest churches are:
First Baptist, northwest corner ^^larengo and Union street.
Catholic, northeast corner Fair Oaks avenue and Walnut street.
First Congregational, northeast corner ^Marengo avenue and Green
Episcopal, Euclid avenue, between Colorado and Walnut streets.
First Methodist, southeast corner Marengo avenue and Colorado street.
First Presbyterian, northwest corner Worcester avenue and Colorado
United Presbyterian, northeast corner Los Robles avenue and Colorado
Universalist, southeast corner Raymond avenue and Chestnut street.
(See full list of all the churches on page 18).
Country Club House. â Also Golf Links, on the bluff above Wilson
Lake, on the road from foot of Lake avenue to San Gabriel.
Crematory. â In Mountain View Cemetery. See History of Pasadena,
page 673. Fair Oaks avenue electric car line to Altadena passes it.
Datum Plane, or Bench ]vIark. â Base of the iron column on east
side of main stairway in the Carlton Hotel. All survey altitudes in Pasa-
dena are reckoned from this point. See History of Pasadena, pages 471-2.
(See Table of Altitudes on pages 16-17.)
Devil s Gate. â A narrow gorge of the Arroyo Seco, about four miles
northwesterly from. Pasadena, where a high bridge spans over into La
Canyada territory. Four miles of underground water tunnels here enter
the pipeline for Pasadena reservoir No. i. It is a place of romantic, his-
toric and scientific interest. See History of Pasadena, pages 150-51; 351;
388; 414-15; 418- footnote ; and pages 553 to 557.
DoLGEViLLE. â Seat of extensive felt manufacturing industries. Two
miles south of Raymond Hotel. Reached by wagon road or trolley cars.
6 DR. H. A. REID'S
Eagle Rock. â An enormous skull-shaped mass of conglomerate cement
or piuldingstone formation, with caves in its west face which is about lOO
feet sheer, and lies two miles due west by county road from Pasadena.
See History of Pasadena, page 389.
East Pasadena. â The villagelike suburban overgrowth, mostly on
Colorado street east from city line, which runs north and south a few rods
east of Mentor avenue.
Eaton Canyon and Falls. â The mouth of the can\'on is reached by
vehicle conveyance via Lamanda to the toll house at foot of the Mt. Wilson
Toll Road. The Falls are nearly a mile up in the rock-ribbed mountain
gorge, but easily accessible by footpath. See History of Pasadena, pages
378-9; also page 151, and 407-8. A few rods below the falls the mountain
wall spreads and rises in a vast ampitheater, near the top of which a tuiinel
is cut. through to an upper canyon and second falls, and water piped out
from that high point. There is a narrow foot trail leading up to the tun-
nel and the crest, where those who want to try a little bit of dizzy mountain
climbing can make the venture.
Echo Mountain. â The summit station at upper end of the great cable
incline on the Mt. Lowe Electric railroad The Casino, the Chalet, the
]\It. Lowe Observatory, the great Word's Fair Searchlight, etc., are all
located here. See History of Pasadena, page 369; pages 382-3; pages 444
to 454; and illustration facing page 385.
Electric Car Barns. â On North Fair Oaks avenue, opposite Mary
street, and thence through to Raymond avenue facing Library Park.
Electric R. R. Power FIouse. â Northeast corner Fair Oaks avenue
and Raymond Station street.
Esperanza. â A sanatorium for consumptives at Altadena, foot of
mountains, east of Lake avenue.
Felt Factory. â At Dolgeville, about two miles south of Raymond
Ford Place. â A special artistic frontage for elegant homes. Foot of
Galena avenue, and from Walnut to Herkimer street.
Fossil Fish Ledge. â About a half mile below Alhambra junction on
electric railroad, the county road to Los Angeles bends to the left for a
few rods up a gentle slope, then curves to the right slightly downâ and here
there is a gully or washway in the chalk hills on the west side. Near the
top of this gully there is an outcrop of bare white chalky looking rocksâ a
laminated feldspathic shale formation. Among these shale flakes have
been found impressions of small fish, from 1-4 in to 2 inches in length; be-
sides other objects fossilized. See History of Pasadena, page 551, and foot-
Garfias Spring.â In edge of the Arroyo bluff a few rods below where
Hermosa street comes into Arroyo Drive in South Pasadena, under a great
spreading and very old live-oak tree. See History of Pasadena, page 350,
and foot-note ; also page 72>, second foot-note. The old Indian chief, Haha-
movic, it is supposed had his lodge here, and it was under this tree that he
smoked the peace-pipe with Gov. Portola on January 17th, 1770. See His-
tory of Pasadena, pages 20-21 ; also pages 58-59.
PASADENA HAND-BOOK 7
GiDDiNGS Far^e. â At the entrance to milliard Canyon, on the only
roadway by which Millard Falls can be reached with vehicle. This farm
includes part of the ground where the historic Joe Chapman had his Indian
camp, his oxen corrals, and his night battle with wild Indians in 1818-19.
See History of Pasadena, page 45, and pages 48-9. Also pages 128-29-30.
Glacial Enameling. â These proofs of ancient glacial phenomena in
this region occur on some granite rocks at Devil's Gate. See History of
Pasadena, page 555 ; also page 418 foot-note.
Note. â Dr. Reid.was the first person to discover and point out evi-
dences of glacial action in this region â first publicly in February, 1894.
(Privately, July 15, 1885.) See History of Pasadena, page 418 foot-
note. His views were publicly ridiculed and disputed in 1894. But in
â November, 1895, John Muir, the greatest living authority on California
glaciology, was here as a guest of Hon. T. P. Lukens. He was asked
if he thought there had ever been glaciers in this region. He replied,
"Oh yes, there is no sort of doubt about it." "But you have not men-
tioned it in any of your writings," said Dr. Reid. To this Prof. Aluir
answered: "No; the proofs of it have been so nearly obliterated by
later phenomena that only experts or special students in that branch oi
knowledge would recognize them; hence I have said nothing about it.
But there can be no question that glaciers once existed in these moun-
Glaclal Lake Bottom. â The whole plain north of Reservoir Hill,
including Lincoln avenue flat and Linda Vista flat. See History of Pasa-
dena, page 531.
Glacial Terminal Moraine. â The most marked case of this ice-age
feature yet noted is where Marengo avenue east of Raymond Hill and the
S. P. railroad track winds southeasterly down the cobblestone bluff in
front of Mr. Jardine's residence. See History of Pasadena, page 558.
Glacial Terrace. â This comprises Columbia Hill, Grace Hill, Ray-
mond Hill. Oak Knoll, and other hills or high bluffs all along eastward to
Santa Anita avenue. See History of Pasadena, page 574.
Gold Mines. â Abandoned works in Las Flores and Pine Canyons and
on east slope of Linda Vista peak. ^ For full account of every mine or
mining venture ever developed in this near vicinity, see History of Pasa-
dena, page 73, first foot-note; also page 53, top paragraph; and pages 547
Golf Links. â Country Club's, out southeast from foot of Lake avenue
on high bluff above Wilson Lake. The public road to San Gabriel passes
through the grounds.
Hotel Green's, southeast corner Wilson avenue and San Pasqual street.
Hotel La Pintoresca's, northwest corner Fair Oaks avenue and Mon-
tana street, on line of electric railroad to Altadena.
Hotel ]\Iarvland's, same as Hotel Green's and Country Club's.
Hotel Raymond's, on south slope of Raymond Hill Park.
Grand Opera House.â Southwest corner Raymond avenue and Belle-
8 DR. H. A. REID'S
Great Cable Incline. â The i.^oo feet lift from Rubio Canyon to Echo
Mountain, on the Mt. Lowe Electric railroad. See History of Pasadena,
page 446; also pages 451-2.
Hen Niger's Flat. â A small mountain farm and rest place about one-
third way up the Mt. Wilson Toll Road. See History of Pasadena, pages
365-6. The United States Reforesting Nursery is located here.
Hodge's Peak. â A sub-mountain elevation on northwest border of
Linda Vista, and the highest peak to which a wagon road has ever been
built in this region. See History of Pasadena, page 374.
Hospital. â On Congress street and Fairmount avenue. Three build-
Hotels. â Our four largest and most notable caravanseries are:
Hotel Green, on Raymond and Fair Oaks avenues and Green and Vine-
yard streets. See History of Pasadena, pages 473-4. Built in 1891-2-3;
Hotel La Pintoresca, on Washington street, from Fair Oaks to Ray-
mond avenues. See History of Pasadena, pages 472-3. Built in 1887.
Hotel ]\Jaryland, on East Colorado street, from Los Robles to Euclid
avenue. Built in 1902.
Hotel Raymond, on Raymond Hill in Raymond Park, at foot of Fair
Oaks avenue. Built in 1884-5-6. Burned down in 1895. Rebuilt in 1901.
See History of Pasadena, pages 467 to 472.
Ice Factory. â Broadway and Santa Fe R. R., near Glenarm street.
Japanese Tea Garden. â Northwest corner Fair Oaks avenue and Cal-
Johnson's Creek. â On west side of the Arroyo opposite foot of Co-
lumbia street. See History of Pasadena, pages 388-9. A most interesting
and romantic walk by foot trail, up a line of exposed puddingstone rock
beds, etc., to Johnson's Lake and the Electric Railroad Tunnel.
Jumbo Knob. â First peak on west side of the Arroyo opposite Reser-
voir Hill. Summit may be reached on horseback via the Eagle Rock road
and Scoville's Ridge Trail. See History of Pasadena, page 374.
Laboratory Workshops. â Adjunct of the Carnegie "Solar Obs(?rva-
tory" on Mt. Wilson. Instrument Laboratory, Optical Laboratory and
Photographic Laboratory. All devoted to the science of astrophysics. On
Ashtabula street, near Lake avenue. Prof. G. W. Ritchey, Superintendent.
Lamanda Park. â Unincorporated village three miles east of Pasadena
on the Santa Fe R. R. and the Pacific Electric Railway. The name was
made by putting the first two initials of its founder's name, L. A. Rose,
with a part of his w'ife's name, Amanda.
Lake Vineyard House. â First "hotel'' ever built in Pasadena. It is a
squatty i 1-2 story frame -structure at northeast corner of ]\Iarengo avenue
and Florence street. See History of Pasadena, pages 466-7). It was made
notable by Helen Hunt Jackson stopping there for a day in 1883.
Lake Wilson. â Below foot of Lake avenue on road through the Coun-
try Club's Golf Links to Old Mission San Gabriel. See History of Pasa-
dena, page 394: also pages 391-2-3; pages 42-3; page 36. In the old mis-
sion days this lake was twice as large as it is now, and brilliant water
PASADENA HAND-BOOK 9
fetes were sometimes given on it in honor of high official visitors. Prior to
1852 it was known as the Mission Lake. In that year Wilson bought his
Lake Vinej^ard Rancho, and since that time the lake has borne his name.
(Name formally changed back to "Mission Lake" by county road
commissioner C. A. Day since this was in type).
La Presa. â Site of the ancient Indian village of Acurag-na, where the
padres of San Gabriel Mission built a stone dam in 1821-22 to supply water
for the historic Joe Chapman's mill a few rods south of the church. See
History of Pasadena, page 51. The dam is about 1-4 mile up the brook
northward from the Sunny Slope winery, south of Lamanda.
Las Casitas. â A small settlement on a foot mountain wedge of land
at Junction of Millard Canyon with Arroyo Seco. Notable chiefly as the
former residence of Jason and Owen Brown, and the site of Owen Brown's
grave. See History of Pasadena, pages 348-9; pages 373, 387, 671.
Las Flores Canyon. â Both Marengo and Lake avenues lead up into
it. Six gold mining claims were staked in this canyon in 1895, and a good
deal of tunneling was done. See History of Pasadena, page 383; page 549.
Leontine Falls. â The largest and finest waterfall in all these Pasa-
dena mountains. Accessible only by trail from Echo Mountain. See His-
tory of Pasadena, page 382, with fine full-page photo of the fall.
Library Park. â Bounded by Walnut street north, Santa Fe railroad
east, Holly street south, Raymond avenue west. Owned by city. Cost
$50,000 â 1903.
Linda Vista, â A retired and quiet settlement amid the foothills, two
miles northwest of Pasadena, via the Linda Vista bridge. See History of
Pasadena, pages 348 and 438.
Linda Vista Peak. â The highest summit in range of sub-mountains
that border Linda Vista on the west and south. There are abandoned gold
diggings in its east slope; and it is accessible by horse trail from Linda
Vista. See History of Pasadena, pages 374, 550.
Martin's Camp. â A mountain hostelry on the depressed ridge or neck
which connects Mt. Harvard with Mt. Wilson. The Mt. Wilson Toll Road
and the old Wilson Trail come together here. See History of Pasadena,
page 402; also pages 364-5.
Masonic Temple. â North Fair Oaks avenue opposite the City Hall.
Millard Canyon. â Reached by carriage only by private roadway
through the Giddings farm. This canyon was made historic by the Yan-
kee prisoner Joe Chapman getting out timbers from it for supports to the
heavy tile roof of the old church at the Plaza in Los Angeles, in 1818-19.
See History of Pasadena, pages 45 to 51.
Millard Falls. â About three miles up from mouth of canyon; 58 feet
high. Giddings private farm road leads to it. See History of Pasadena,
Mill (El MoHno). â The old stone mill built by the padres of San
Gabriel Mission in 1810 to 1812. Reached by following down Mill Canyon
from foot of Lake avenue. See History of Pasadena, pages 42, 375, 391.
Lamanda and Los Angeles electric cars pass about 1-4 mile south of it.
lo DR. H. A. REID'S
Mii.L Canyon. â The ravine and water course leading from foot of
Lake avenue down to lower end of Wilson Lake, and the old stone mill and
stone dam huilt there by the padres in 1810-12, which form the "El Molino"
of Spanish story. See History of Pasadena, page 375.
Mission San Gauriel. â About four miles southeasterly from Pasa-
dena, and may be reached by wagon road or by trolly cars. The present
old church structure was in process of building by Indian labor- from about
1783 to 1810. and was the third one that they built. See Jrlistory of Pasa-
dena, pages 33 to 41.
Mission Bells â (One Missing). â The belfry was built for six, but
only five bells were ever put in. In 1846 Gov. Pio Pico sold the entire
Mission property to Hugo Reid and Wm. Workman. Reid then o\yntd
Rancho Santa Anita and took away one of the bells to use as a time-
sounder for the workmen and tenants on his great ranch, now commonly
known as "Baldwin's Ranch." The United States authorities eventually
restored the Mission property to the church, but the missing bell stayed
on the r.iiicho. See History of Pasadena, pages 17, 18, and pages 40 and
Mis.sioN Grate Vine. â The monster grape vine at the Mission is