Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 16 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 16 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years of age when he came to Iowa with
his parents, the family home being estab-
lished near Winfield. The father, how-
ever, was soon afterward called to his
final rest, his remains being interred at
Lowell. He passed away at the age of
fifty-five years and was survived for a
number of years by his widow, who died
in 1887, at the age of sixty-seven years,
and was also laid to rest in Lowell ceme-
tery. In their family were ten children :
Robert, Anna, Mar}-, Martin, Elizabeth,
Sarah, William T., Margaret, John and
Emmett. Of this number ]\Iartin and
Anna are now deceased.

William T. Morrow began his educa-
tion in the public schools of Ohio and con-
tinued his studies in Henry county, fol-
lowing the removal to Iowa. He was
reared to farm life and early became famil-
iar with the duties and labors incident to
the cultivation of the fields. He continued
to engage in farming until 1885, when,
thinking that he would find commercial
pursuits more congenial, he abandoned the
plow and accepted a clerkship in the Wil-
liamson store at Lowell where he remained
for three years, during which time he
gained a good practical knowledge of the
methods in vogue in commercial circles.
In 1888 he engaged in general merchan-
dising in partnership with George B. Jack-
man under the firm name of Jackman &
Morrow, continuing in Lowell for five
years. On the expiration of that period,
Emmett Richie IMorrow, a brother of our
subject, purchased Mr. Jackman's inter-
est and the firm of Morrow Brothers ex-
isted for about six years, at the end of
which time Mr. Morrow of this review



136



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



purchased his brother's interest and has
since carried on the business alone, save
for a brief period of about six months,
when Harry Walton was his partner. He
now carries a full line of general merchan-
dise such as is usually found in a store
of this kind. His stock embraces gro-
ceries, dry goods, boots and shoes, light
hardware, crocker}^ and glassware, and he
has secured a good patronage, which is
constantly growing, for his business meth-
ods are such as to win trade. He is care-
ful in the selection of his stock in order
to secure goods that will please the varied
tastes of the general public and his earnest
effort to meet the wishes of his customers
has been one of the strong and salient feat-
ures in his success. In 1888 in connection
with Mr. Jackman, he built the large store
building, forty-four by seventy-eight feet,
the main room being twenty-four by sev-
enty-eight feet. There are two other
rooms, which are used for tiour, for boots
and shoes and other goods. Mr. Morrow
has also erected a large barn. Over the
store is a large hall and also an office,
whicli is now occupied by a physician.

In Januaiy, 1887, was celebrated the
marriage of Mr. Morrow and Miss Amelia
Brown, a daughter of Joseph and Hannah
Brown. They have two children : Susie,
a student of music in Burlington, and Vic-
tor, who is attending the public schools.
Mr. Morrow is a member of the Ancient
Order of United Workmen at Lowell and
has held the office of venerable consul for
two years. He belongs to the IMethodist
Episcopal church and his life is in har-
mony with its principles. His advocacy
of all measures for the material develop-
ment, intellectual, social and moral prog-



ress of the community is manifest in tan-
gible effort for the public good, and his
worth as a citizen, business man and friend
is uncjuestioned.



HUGH COZIER.



Having retired from the actual respon-
sibilities of general farming and being
able to intrust his interests to his son, Mr.
Hugh Cozier is now residing- at his beau-
tiful home in Canaan township, enjoying
the fruits of his labors, in the luxurious
surroundings his industry and persever-
ance have created.

Hugh Cozier was born in Clark county,
Ohio. ' September 20, 1839, thus having
reached an age. ripened by living, but still
young enough to enjoy many years of
peaceful happiness. Through his mother.
Hannah Carter, born in Clark county, he
was related to Governor Goeble, of Ken-
tucky, his paternal grandfather being
Benjamin Cozier, of Connecticut, and his
grandmother Sarah Craig. His father,
John Cozier, of Clark county, Ohio, was
a tanner by trade, and afterward a mil-
ler. In December, 1855. he came with his
family to Mount Pleasant to engage in
farming which pursuit he followed until
his death in 1863. His wife passed away
in 1857. After the death of his parents
he leased farms in Henry county, and in
1870. on May 12. he was united in mar-
riage to Miss Mary V. Nixon. Miss
Nixon was born at Guyandotte, Cabelle
county, \Yes,t Virginia, December 29,



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



137



1843, ^^""d came to Iowa with her parents
who settled in Jackson county. They re-
niained there several years, then removed
to Danville, Des Moines county, and in
1867 took up their residence in Canaan
toAvnship, Henry county. She received
her education in the schools of Iowa, hav-
ing left West Virginia at too tender an
age to have attended school there.

]\Ir. Cozier and his wife have three
li\-ing children: Caddie, born November
16, 1 87 1, married Lemuel Whittaker, a
farmer of Henry county. They have one
son. Karl, born December 30. 1897. Mary
Frances, at home, born September 15,
1893, and John Edward, of Canaan town-
ship. After his marriage he leased a farm
in Canaan township for two years, and
in 1872 he bought seventy-five acres in
section 18. This land was unim-
proved, and the task of breaking it up
began immediately to prepare for the
abundant harvests to come. He built a
house of two rooms and made a prairie
stable the first year ; afterward had a shed
stable. He now has the place improved
and well tiled. In 1893 he remodeled
the house, converting it into a comfort-
able and commodious dwelling of eight
living rooms, with closets and pantries
for the convenience of his family, and
adding a summer dining-room to com-
plete the comforts.

In 1875 he bought eighty acres in sec-
tion 17, just opposite the road north
of his first farm. This was raw prairie,
and has been fenced, tiled and provided
with a dug well. He added also sixty
acres joining on the east of section 17,
which had an old barn and house.
He rebuilt the house, changing it from a



building one and a half stones high, con-
taining four rooms, to a two-story build-
ing with six rooms. His son now lives on
this farm. He married Orlena Alice
Short, who was born in Henry county, a
daughter of Benjamin and Samantha
(Zeigler) Short.

Mr. Hugh Cozier has devoted his life
to general farming and stock-raising, but
an illness in 1898 compelled him to retire
from active duties, though he can still
advise and help by his mature judgment
those of the younger generation.



DAVID S. M'COXXAUGHEY. M. D.

Dr. David S. McConnaughey is known
throughout the counties of Washington
and Henry as an able professional man
of experience, ripened by years of prac-
tice in his profession, and the result of
this experience gives ample proof of the
esteem and confidence in which he is held
by the community.

Dr. McConnaughey was born in Law-
rence county, Pennsylvania, July 8. 1837.
and is a son of David P. and Catherine
{ Thomson) McConnaughey. Western
Pennsylvania, land of the "Scotch Irish,"
had been the birthplace of the family for
several generations, and it was there that
the parents of the Doctor were born and
reared. David McConnaughey, the pa-
ternal grandfather of our subject, and the
maternal grandfather, Alexander Thom-
son, were both soldiers of the war of
1812, the former losing his life in that



138



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



struggle. David McConnaughey, father
of Dr. McConnaughey, was born in Lan-
caster county in 1805, and was married
in Pennsylvania to Catherine Thomson,
whose birth occurred in Indiana count}^
that state, in 1804. A hatter by trade,
David McConnaughey followed that pur-
suit in Pennsylvania until 1853, when he
removed to Denmark, Lee county, Iowa,
and for two years occupied and cultivated
a farm which he rented. In 1855, wish-
ing to become possessor of a farm of his
own, he went to Washington county,
where he took up a tract of two hundred
acres of land. This he cultivated and im-
proved, making his home thereon up to
the time of his death in 1900, while his
wife passed away in 1888.

Dr. McConnaughey spent his boyhood
days under the parental roof, and had
good school advantages, which enabled
him to fit himself for his chosen profes-
sion. When a lad in Pennsylvania, he
attended the public schools, and after com-
ing to Iowa became a pupil of Denmark
Academy. After removing to Washington
county, he entered the United Presbyte-
rian college in the city of Washington,
which institution was afterward wrecked
by wind and totally destroyed during the
Civil war, and was never rebuilt. While
not engaged with the duties of the school-
room. Dr. McConnaughey worked upon
the home farm, and had just completed a
term of school teaching at the time of the
outbreak of the Civil war. In response to
the nation's call for troops, he enlisted on
the I St of November, 1861, becoming a
member of Company F, Eleventh Iowa
infantry. The regiment was attached to
the western division, but in the winter of



1 86 1 -2 Dr. McConnaughey became dis-
abled, and on account of illness was dis-
charged. On the 23rd of September,
1862, however, when the Thirtieth Infan-
try regiment of Iowa was organized, he
again enlisted, joining Company K, and
received the appointment of quartermas-
ter-sergeant of the regiment on the field
and staff. He was with the army of the
west at Vicksburg, and participated in the
battle of Chickasaw Bayou on the 28th
of December. 1862. In 1863 he was again
discharged, and this time returned to his
home in Washington county.

Having determined upon the practice
of medicine as a life work. Dr. ]\IcCon-
naughey, in 1865, entered Rush Medical
College at Chicago, remaining a student
in that institution until the spring of 1866,
when he entered the Keokuk (Iowa)
Medical College and received his diploma
in 1867. He began the practice of his
profession in Riverside, Washington
county, where he remained until 1869.
when he removed to AVayland, then called
Marshall, practicing here for seven years.
At the end of that period he again re-
turned to Washington county and after
making his home there for five years went
to Avoca, Iowa, where he continued in
active practice for seven years. He then
again went to Washington county for the
purpose of giving his children better busi-
ness connections and opporunities, but
later he again established his home in
Wayland, where he has since lived.

In the fall following his graduation —
in October 1867 — Dr. McConnaughey
was married to Miss Josephine Terrey, a
daughter of J. L. L. and Sarah (Mounts)
Terry, for many years residents of Wash-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



139



ington county. The father was born in
Kentucky, while the mother was born in
Indiana. Both came of ancestors who
served in the Revolutionary war. The
Terry family was established in Virginia
in colonial days and representatives of the
name removed from the Old Dominion to
Kentucky. The parents of Mr. Terry
were slave-holding people, but he became
a strong anti-slavery man. He was also
strenuously opposed to the use of intoxi-
cating liquors. He possessed strong men-
tality, marked individuality and force of

character and became widelv and favor-
er

ably known. He located in Washington
county about 1837, and was an important
factor in the development and prog-
ress of that part of the state, not
only along material lines but also
in upholding the legal, political and
moral status of the community. He
was a typical southern gentleman of
high spirit, of unquestioned honor and
warm impulses, fearless in defending ev-
erv' cause that he believed to be right. His
genuine personal worth won him the re-
spect and good will of all who knew him
and he ever stood as the champion of
progress, reform and improvement. His
daughter, Mrs. McConnaughey, was born
in Washington countv, Iowa, and bv her
marriage to Dr. McConnaughey has be-
come the mother of four children, but
they lost one, Baga Zetta, who was born
in 1869 and died in 1879. Those still liv-
ing are : Harry David, now an advertis-
ing agent in St. Louis, Missouri ; James
Terry, a physician living in Olds, Iowa;
and Grace, at home.

Dr. McConnaughey belongs to the
Methodist Episcopal church and is an ad-



vocate of its doctrines and teachings. Po-
litically he is a republican but does not
care to hold office, believing that his first
duty is to his profession. He has long
been a resident of Iowa and for many
years of the village where he is now re-
siding. He has lived during the nation's
peril and offered himself with courage
and enthusiasm in her defense. His has
also been a life of usefulness in the com-
munity and service to others, devoted to
the alleviation of sufferings and uplifting
of humanity.



NESTOR A. J. YOUNG.

Nestor A. J. Young, who has lived in
Henry count}' for sixty years, a veteran
of the Civil war, is now li\"ing retired in
Mount Pleasant, having passed the sev-
enty-seventh milestone on life's journey.
He is therefore enjoying the rest which
should ever come with advanced years,
when life's duties at an earlier date have
been ably and faithfully performed. He
was bom in Pennsylvania, October 22,
1828, his parents being Nestor and Abi-
gail (Emerson) Young, both of whom
were natives of Nerw Hampshire, where
they were reared. The father was a house
carpenter by trade and also became a min-
ister of the Methodist Episcopal church.
In 1846, when his son, N. A. J. Young,
was seventeen years of age the father
came west to Iowa, settling in HenrA'
county on a farm three and a half miles
northeast of Mount Pleasant. The land
was then raw and unimproved, but he at



140



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



once l3eg-an its development and culti\-a-
tion and made a good home for his family
there. He engaged in preaching as a local
minister of the Methodist church, devot-
ing the week days to the labors of his farm,
while on Sunday he took his place in the
pulpit, thus continuing in active life until
February, 1863, when he was called to
his final rest. He was a gallant soldier of
the war of 1812 and was always loyal in
citizenship. In his political views he was
a democrat until a short time prior to his
death, when he became a republican. Fra-
ternally he \\as an Odd Fellow and both
he and his wife were life-long members
of the Methodist church. The death of
]Mrs. Young occurred in 1863. After their
sons went to the war the parents returned
to Cincinnati, where they had a daug-hter
living, and both are buried in Spring Grove
cemetery of that city. In their family
were fourteen children, twelve of whom
reached adult age, ten of the number being
girls. The eldest child died unnamed in
infancy. The others were: Charles F. C.
a sailor; Elmira and Jane, twins, both de-
ceased ; Jonathan E. C, Mary Ann, Susan
M. G., and Harriet, her remains now lying
buried in the old cemeteiy at Mount Pleas-
ant, all of whom have passed away; N. A.
J., of this review; Eliza and Julie, both
deceased; Arthur M. B.. who served for
ten months in the Civil war and then be-
cause of injuries had to return home, is
now a resident of Colorado City, Colo-
rado; Helen, who became the wife of a
Mr. Tracy and after his death wedded a
Mr. Thompson, while her third husband
is Mr. Jordan, with whom she is now liv-
ing in Kansas City, Missouri, and Fanny,
who died when four years of age.



Nestor A. J. Young is largely self-edu-
cated, having acquired the greater part of
his knowledge through reading and ex-
perience. He spent six or eight months
in study in a district school in Ohio and
he remained on 'a farm with his father
until about the time he attained his ma-
jority. In the meantime, however, he
learned and followed the cai-penter's trade
in connection with the work of the fields.
He was afterward employed by his
brother-in-law in Ohio in a men's furnish-
ing goods store, and as the years passed
he embraced every opportunity that he be-
lie^'ed was for his own advancement in
the business world.

On the 1 8th of July, 1850, Mr. Young
was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth
J. Willbourn. a daug'hter of Zachariah and
Ellen ( Plunkett) Willbourn and a native
of Sang^amon county, Illinois, born May
29, 183 1. Her fatlier was born in Ken-
tucky and her motlier in Georgia. They
were fanning people and Mr. Willbourn
also conducted a stone yard. In 1833 he
came to Iowa, when the Indians were far
more numerous than the white settlers and
wild cker roamed at will over the prairies
or through the forests. He engaged in
farming in Henrs' county, aiding in the
reclamation of the district for the uses
of civilization. He operated the first horse
power grist mill in the county, also had a
water power sawmill, while from his
quarry he furnished much of the stone for
tbe State Asylum. In 1840 he was called
upon to mourn the loss of his wife, and.
his death occurred on tbe 14th of Septem-
ber, 1879, both being interred near their
old home in this county. Mr. Willbourn
was- a stalwart democrat, but at the time



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



141



of the Ci\"il war was an athocate of the
Union cause and was vei"}' generous in his
assistance to the soldiers. He was also
charitable to those in need and freely ex-
tended a helping hand to those who were
wcrthy of assistance. He held member-
ship in the Baptist church, while his wife
belonged to the Presbyterian church. In
their family were eight children : Ma-
tilda, who is the widow of Mathe\\' Wil-
son and resides in Cass county, Iowa ; Mrs.
Elizabeth Young; Allen K., deceased;
Robert Randolph; Margaret, the wife of
John Danbrun, of Des Mo'in.es; Nancy El-
len, had one child, deceased; two who died
in infancy.

In 1862 ]\Ir. Young left his family,
feeling that his first duty was to his
country in her hour of peril and was mus-
tered into the United States service at
Keokuk, Iowa, on the 23d of September
of that }-ear for a term of three years as a
member of Company K, Thirtieth Iowa
Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Young had com-
mand of a company, serving with the rank
of first lieutenant, the captain being de-
tailed as assistant surgeon. He partici-
pated in the first attack on \'icksburg — the
battle of Haines Bluff — and was also in
the battle of Arkansas Post. After the
last named battle he was in the hospital for
two months, when on account of disability
he was compelled to resign. The resigna-
tion was accepted, to take effect June 4,
1863. Following his return from the war
he was in veiy poor health for a }-ear or
two and remained upon his farm in Wash-
ington count}'. Iowa. Afterward, how-
ever, he sold this property and bought an
improved farm of one hundred and twenty
acres in Trenton township, in Henry



county, where he carried on general agri-
cultural pursuits for three years. He then
rented that place and bought another fami,
but he also rented that land, and has lived
in Mount Pleasant since 1874, having in
that year retired from active connection
with agricultural interests, although still
owning nearly two hundred acres in Salem
township. In 1875, however, he became
collector for Cole Brothers, his territory
covering six counties near the center of the
state. On the i6th of February, 1905, he
purchased his present^ attractive home at
Xo. 300 West Monroe street, where he is
now living retired.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Young has been
l)orn one son, Emmet C, \\"ho was born
July 21, 1 85 1, in Henry county and is a
farmer of Tippecanoe township. He mar-
ried Miss Emma Virginia Scott and they
had five children, of whom three are liv-
ing. Genevieve ^L is the wife of Malan
Harshbarger, a farmer. Hubert Elmer,
who is also a farmer, married Elizabeth
Lee and has eight children, of whom se\"en
are living: Anna May, Myrtle E., Mary,
IMasel, Andrew, Elsie and an infant daugh-
ter. Jessie E. married Manly Frazier, a
fanner, and has two children, Emmet and
Len. They celebrated their silver wedding
when they had traveled life's journey to-
gether for a (juarter of a century. In
1900 Mr. and Mrs. Young celebrated
their golden wedding at their pleasant
home on East Madison street, the Grand
Army Post and Woman's Relief Corps, as
well as many other friends being in at-
tendance, and now they have lived as man
and wife for fifty-five years, sharing with
each other in the joys and .^ornnvs, ad-
versitv and prosperity which checker the



142



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



careers of all. They are a most worthy,
respected and esteemed couple of Henry
county. They ha\-e seen many changes
here as the county has emerged from pio-
neer conditions and taken on its present
advantages and improvements. In poli-
tics Air. Young has always been a demo-
crat, his first office being that of road su-
pervisor, while he resigned the office of
justice of the peace in order to form his
company and join the amiy at the time
of the Ci\'il war. He has also been school
director, marshal and constable in Alount
Pleasant. Both he and his wife are de-
voted members of the Methodist church
and at one time he served as a member of
the Ijoard of stewards. His life has been
honorable, his actions manly and sincere,
and though he has never sought public
notoriety that would gain him reputation
outside of his home district, he has in the
daily affairs of life, by faithful discharge
of duty and by loyalty to right rules of
conduct, won the regard and good will
of all with wh(im he has been associated.



SANFORD BOYD.

Sanford Boyd, who is engaged in gen-
eral farming in Tippecanoe township, is
a native of Ohio, his birth having . oc-
curred in Guernsey county on the nth of
April, 1852 His father, Thomas Boyd,
was a native of Pennsylvania and when
he had arrived at years of maturity was
married to Miss Elizabeth Abels, who was
born in Ohio, and wffiose father, John



Abels, became one of the earliest settlers
of Tippecanoe township, Henry county,
Iowa. He was well known as a pioneer
resident and contributed in substantial
measure to the work of early development
and improvement here. The marriage of
and Mrs. Thomas Boyd was celebrated in
Ohio, where they owned a farm, which he
continued to operate up to the time of his
death. He passed away April 29, 1869,
at the age of sixty-four years, his birth
having occurred March 10, 1805. His
wife, who was born January 24, 1812,
died on the 27th of February, 1892. hav-
ing reached the advanced age of eighty
years. In their family were eleven chil-
dren, six sons and five daughters, of
whom Sanford Boyd is the youngest.

In the public schools of Ohio he pur-
sued a limited education, but his oppor-
tunities in that direction were somewhat
meagre for his services were needed upon
the home farm. He remained at home un-
til sixteen years of age, when he left Ohio
and came to Henry county, Iowa, with his
sister-in-law. Since that time he has been
dependent entirely upon his own resources
and whatever success he has achieved is
attributable entirely to his labors. He was
employed for a few months in various ca-
pacities and then took up farm work for
he belie\'ed that the outdoor existence
would prove beneficial to his health, which
was in a somewhat precarious condition,
his lungs seeming to be affected. He con-
tinued to labor as a farm hand for three
and a half years and was greatly benefited
by this life in the open air.

On the expiration of that period Mr.
Boyd was married on the 26th of Septem-
ber, 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Wilson, who



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



143



was born in Jackson township, Henry
count}-, and is a daughter of John M. and
SalHe (Davis) Wilson, the former a na-
tive of Indianapohs, Indiana, and the lat-
ter of Ohio. Her paternal grandfather
was John Wilson and her maternal grand-
father John Davis, a native of Pennsyl-
vania. After his marriage Mr. Boyd
rented a tract of land in Baltimore town-
ship, whereon he lived for a year and a
half, and then engaged in the cultivation
of a farm in Center township for one
year. He next removed two miles south
of Mount Pleasant in the same township,
making his home upon that property for
three years, when his savings justified his
purchase of land and he became the owner
of a farm of forty acres in the southern
part of Center township. To this he



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 16 of 85)