Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 18 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 18 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sixth of the familv. married Sarah Over-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



151



ton, by whom he has two children and is
Hving retired in Pineville, Missouri. Of
his children, Frank married Lulla Cruick-
shank, by whom he has three children.
They reside in Arkansas, although their
postoffice is Caverna, Missouri; Charles
is married and lives on a farm in Arkan-
sas, and has two children. William L.
Powell, whose name introduces this re-
view, is the seventh in his father's family.
George Theodore, the next younger, mar-
ried Cora Mathews and is a stock dealer
living at Mount Hamill. Oliver L., now
of Donnelson, Iowa, married Hattie Deal-
er, who died in 1903. Laura, the tenth
member of the family, is the wife of Dr.
R. H. Todd, of New Sharon, Iowa, and
they have two sons, Fred and Ray. Olive
Powell died in infancy, while Mrs. Nancy
Powell, the mother, passed away in 1897.
The parents were buried in Clay Grove
cemetery, in Lee county.

William L. Powell was educated in the
district schools of Iowa, and after attain-
ing his majority pursued a commercial
course in Keokuk, being graduated at the
Bayles Commercial College, in that city.
He then returned to his father's farm,
which was his home until the time of his
marriage, after which he owned a farm in
Cedar township, where he etsablished his
first home. He bought, sold and resided
on different farms in Lee county, having
usually a good farm of one hundred and
sixty acres. During that time he carried
on general farming and stock-raising. In
1896 he left the farm and located in Mount
Pleasant and has here made his home.
Always having been interested in the real-
estate business, he was in Mount Pleasant
variously engaged, until 1901, when, with



his family, he went to the different parts
of the Pacific coast, after his children had
finished their school education, spending
the season there. After their return to
Mount Pleasant Mr. Powell became more
actively engaged in the real-estate busi-
ness, with office over the State National
Bank, doing business under the name of
Stewart & Powell, handling both city and
farm lands to a large extent, and also
has become largely interested in the emi-
gration business to Texas and other parts.
He still retains his Lee county homestead
and other valuable property.

Mr. Powell was married April 19,
1877, to Miss Julia Courtright, of Lee
county, a daughter of Hiram and Eliza
(Taylor) Courtright and a native of
Washington, Illinois, born in September,
1853. Her father was a fanner by oc-
cupation, and died in the year 1883, while
his w4fe passed away in 1891. He was
twice married, and by the first union had
two children, one of whom is now living
— John Courtright, who married Nancy
Mallett, and resides at Rockville, Mis-
souri. Mary Courtright, the eldest child
of the second marriage, became the wife
of W. S. Smith, by whom she has two
children, and their home is in Portland,
Oregon. Edward, living near Edmonton,
Canada, married Emma Barnes, antl has
four children living. Julia is now Mrs.
Powell. Mrs. Eliza Courtright was also
married twice, her first husband being Jo-
seph Fashner, by whom she had one child,
Cyrena, the wife of Isaac Bell, who re-
sides near Big Mound, Iowa, and by
whom she has three children. Unto Mr.
and Mrs. Powell have been born two chil-
dren, Ada and Pearl, both at home. The



152



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



former is a graduate of the Conservatory
of Music of Mount Pleasant, and Pearl is
a graduate of Howe's academy, later at-
tended the State Normal School at Cedar
Falls, and is now a teacher in the Henry
county schools.

Mr. Powell was made a Mason at West
Point over thirty years ago, and on com-
ing to Mount Pleasant demitted to Mount
Pleasant Lodge, No. 8. Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons, and is also a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. and Mrs. Powell and daughters are
members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
In politics he was a democrat until 1893.
since which time he has been a republican.
He never aspired to office, however, pre-
ferring to give his undivided attention to
his business interests. In 1896 he came to
Mount Pleasant, and has built a fine mod-
ern home on Broadway, where he now
resides. In his business life he has been
prosperous, and is a pleasant and atifable
man, who has broad and liberal views,
the result of extensive travel and observa-
tion.



PROFESSOR LINCOLN ANTRIM.

Professor Lincoln Antrim, a well
known educator of Iowa, formerly con-
nected with the system of public education
in the state and now at the head of the
Mount Pleasant Academy, a preparator\^
school of note, was born in Wilmington,
Clinton county, Ohio, on the loth of July,
i860, his parents being Calvin Hackney
and Jane ( Cohagen) Antrim. The ■ fa-



ther was also a native of Clinton county,
Ohio, where the grandfather, Hiram An-
trim, settled in pioneer days, removing to
the Buckeye state from Pennsylvania. He
followed the occupation of farming, and
Calvin H. Antrim was reared to that pur-
suit and continued as a farmer there for
many years. He was married in Clinton
county to Miss Jane Cohagen, a daugh-
ter of William Cohagan, also a pioneer
resident of that locality. The young
couple began their domestic life upon a
farm and he continued the cultivation and
improvement of his fields in Ohio until
1867, and in 1877 he removed with his
family to Iowa, settling near Primrose,
Lee county, where he first rented land. In
1888 he removed to Orosi, California,
where he and his wife now reside. They
are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and in their family were seven
children, of whom Lincoln is the youngest.
Professor Antrim of this review ac-
quired his early education in the common
schools of Clinton county and after com-
ing to Iowa attended the State Normal
School at Cedar Falls, being graduated
with the class of 1888, at which time the
(jegree of Bachelor of Didactics was con-
ferred upon him. Subsequently he entered
the Western Nonnal School in Page
county, Iowa, and w^as graduated in 1890
with the degree of Master of Science. His
entire life has been devoted to educational
work. On the completion of his collegiate
course he accepted the position of prin-
cipal of the graded schools at Primrose,
Iowa, where he remained for eight years,
when, in connection with Professor C. W
Larkin, he established, in 1898, the Mount
Pleasant Academy, for the purpose of



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



153



teaching an academic course, fitting the
students for ah colleges and universities.
The}- later instituted a commercial course,
including stenography, typewriting and
various forms of commercial work. This
school seemed to fill a needed place in
educational circles and has been a success
from the beginning, there being an average
attendance of two hundred and twenty
pupils. The schoolrooms are commodious
and centrally located on the north side of
the squire and are fitted with all modern
conveniences connected with such institu-
tions and with the latest appliances that fa-
cilitate the work of the pupil. In 1902
Professor Larkin retired, leaving Pro-
fessor Antrim as sole proprietor and man-
ager of the school. There is a large at-
tendance not only from this, but also from
other states, and the Mount Pleasant Acad-
emy ranks as one of the excellent prepara-
tory schools of eastern Iowa.

On the 2d of January, 1889, Professor
Antrim was married to Miss Ida L. Smith,
of Primrose, Iowa, a daughter of Chris
and Henrietta Smith. She is a graduate of
the Primrose high school, and for a num-
ber of years was a capable teacher in the
schools of Lee county. Mr. and Mrs. An-
trim have tw'o children, Florence and
Etta, and they occupy a beautiful home
at No. 603 East Washington street, which
was built by Professor Antrim in 1897. ^^
is tastefully furnished and shows many
e\-idences of the culture and refinement of
the family. He and his wife hold member-
ship in the Presbyterian church, and his
fraternal relations are with Mount Pleasant
Lodge, No. 8, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons, Eastern Star, Lodge, No. 6,
Knights of Pythias and the Independent



Order of Odd Fellows, in which he is past
grand and also past chief patriarch. He
is likewise past master workman of the
Ancient Order of United Workmen, and
is one of the three trustees of Mystic
Lodge, No. 55, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, having the trust of over ten thou-
sand dollars. He has given his life to a
profession which is of eminent service to
his fellow men, and his zeal and enthusi-
asm in his chosen calling, supplementing a
naturally strong mind, ha\-e made him an
educator whose ability is recognized.



HARLAN E. WALKER.

Harlan E. Walker, cashier of the Rome
Savings Bank, was born in Canaan town-
sliip, Henry county, on the ist of Janu-
ary, 1877. His father, Jesse Walker, was
a native of West Virginia, and in 1842
came to Des Moines county, Iowa, with
his parents. Here he was reared, and
early became familiar with the conditions
of pioneer life which existed in Iowa when
this was a frontier state. He was mar-
ried in Des Moines county in 1866 to Miss
Maria Chrisinger, a nati\e of Ohio, in
which state the birth of her father, John
Chrisin""er. also occurred. Following' his
marriaoe, Jesse Walker came to Henrv
countv, settling in Canaan township upon
a farm which lie rented and cultivated for
a number of years, thus gaining his start
in life. Hte afterward purchased eighty
acres of land, which was improxeil. and
he began its further culti\ation and de-
velopment. To this he has added a tract



154



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



of forty acres, and now has a well culti-
vated farm, on which everything is in
nice shape. For a long period he contin-
ued actively in the work of agricultural
progress, but is now living retired in New
London, Iowa.

Harlan E. Walker pursued his early
education in the district schools, and aft-
erward further continued his studies in
Elliott's Business College, at Burlington,
spending seven and a half months in. that
institution, when twenty-three years of
age. He felt the need of better educa-
tional facilities as a preparation for life's
practical and responsible duties, and
therefore became a student in that insti-
tution. During the year following his
commercial course he remained at home,
and on leaving the farm he first was em-
ployed as bookkeeper for the J. E. Peter-
son Company in a large general store at
New London. After filling this position
with credit to himself and the satisfaction
of his employers for nearly one and a half
years, he was appointed assistant cashier
of the First National Bank of New Lon-
don, where he obtained his first practical
knowledge of the banking business. Hav-
ing proved his ability in this line, he was
appointed to the position of cashier in
the Rome Savings Bank at the time of its
organization, on the 23d of January,
1905, he being one of the organizers of
the bank, and at the first meeting was
elected a director, which position he has
since held. The bank was incorporated
with a capital of $12,500, Robert S. Gillis
being president, and Jonathan Lee, of Sa-
lem, vice president, and is doing a suc-
cessful business. The success of this in-
stitution is largely attributable to the ef-



forts of Mr. Walker, who has been active
in the management of the bank, and has
increased its business to gratifying pro-
portions in the year of its existence.

On the 29th of November, 1905, oc-
curred the marriage of Mr. Walker and
Miss Estella Parriott, who was born in
Henry county, Iowa, and is a daughter of
Mason and Margaret (Hayes) Parriott,
both of whom were natives of Henry
county. Mrs. Walker pursued her edu-
cation in the public and high schools of
Henry county. The young couple occupy
an enviable position in the social circles,
and are greatly esteemed for their influ-
ence in church circles as well, belonging
to the Methodist Episcopal church, in the
work of w^hich they take an active and
helpful interest, Mr. Walker now serving
as assistant superintendent of the Sunday-
school in Rome. He votes with the de-
mocracy, and is a member of the Masonic
lodge at New London. He has also taken
the degrees of the subordinate lodge and
encampment of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows at New London, and in
his life is true to the teachings of these
societies, which are based upon mutual
helpfulness and brotherly kindness.



LEWIS GODFREY BAUGH.

Lewis Godfrey Baugh, deceased, fig-
ured prominently for many years in busi-
ness circles in Mount Pleasant, and his
enterprise and capability won him a grat-
ifying measure of success, while his



•%







^^L4^^




Til MM' UBRARY



« I



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



157



straightforward dealing gained for him
an honorable name. He was born in Lou-
don county, Virginia, January 9, 1827,
and represented an old family of that
state. His father, Lewis K. Baugh, also
a native of Loudon county, was born
November 19, 1795. The paternal grand-
father was a millwright by trade, and died
at the venerable age of ninety years. Lewis
K. Baugh also learned and followed the
millwright's trade. In his native state he
was married to Miss Bradle, who was
born in Alexandria, Virginia, January 31,
1797. When their son Lewis was three
years of age they removed to Ohio, set-
tling in Miami county, whence they after-
ward went to Preble county, that state.
About 1855 they came from Ohio to Iowa,
and the father's death occurred in Lee
county on the loth of September, 1862.
The mother, how^ever, spent her last days
in Clark county, Ohio, where she passed
away on the 5th of March, 1855.

Lewis G. Baugh acquired a public
school education in Ohio, and under the
direction of his father learned the mill-
wright's trade and also mastered the
trades of carpentering and cabinet-mak-
ing. Before leaving the Buckeye state, he
was married, on the 21st of June, 1853.
to Miss Jane Darst, the wedding being
celebrated in Miami county. Her father
w^as the Rev. John Darst, a prominent
minister of the Dunkard church. Her
mother died when Mrs. Baugh was onlv
three weeks old. In her parents' family
were seven children, three sons and four
daughters. Mrs. Hachenberg, who for a
number of years has been a widow, is now
living with Mrs. Baugh, and they are the
only surviving daughters of the family.



In 1857 Lewis G. Baugh came with his
family to low^a, settling near West Point,
Lee county, and in May, 1858. he re-
moved to Mount Pleasant, where he be-
gan work at his trade. He was a natural
mechanic, and was very successful in all
the work which he undertook, giving ex-
cellent satisfaction by his capability and
expert workmanship. In June, 1872. he
entered into partnership with H. K. Leed-
ham. now deceased, in the establishment
and conduct of a planing mill, lumber yard
and house furnishing, they having the
leading business of its kind, giving em-
ployment to from fifteen to twenty men.
They at the same time were extensivelv
engaged in contracting and building, put-
ting up many of the best houses in the city,
and were associated in this business
enterprise for more than twenty-nine
years. From the beginning, this indus-
trial concern proved a profitable invest-
ment, and they w^ere- accorded a liberal
patronage, w^hich constantly grew as the
years went by, and brought to them a grat-
ifying financial reward for their labor.
They w^ere both men of good business abil-
ity and executive force, Mr. Baugh hav-
ing the superintendency of the mechanical
part of the work, while Mr. Leedham at-
tended to the business management of the
office.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Baugh were born
five children : Florence, who died when
about twenty years of age : Julia, who died
August 4, 1874, at the age of seventeen
vears; John, who died July 9. 1874, when
twelve years of age: Edith, who was
drowned in 1884. when sixteen years of
age ; and Charles, who died in September.
1892, when about twenty-one years of age.



158



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



In his political views Mr. Baugh was
an earnest republican, giving- his support
to that party throughout his entire life.
For many years he held membership in
Henry Lodge, No. lo, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, of Mount Pleasant, and
filled all of its offices. In 1882 he built
one of the finest residences of the city and
therein spent his remaining days, his death
occurring August 8, 1902. His remains
were interred in Forest Home cemetery,
and his loss was deeply regretted by all
who knew him, because of his splendid
traits of character, his high and honorable
manhood, his devotion to commendable
principles, and his allegiance to the ties of
friendship and of the home life. His
widow has in her possession a fine carbon
portrait of her husband, made a short
time prior to his death. It is not only a
work of considerable artistic merit, but
presents a splendid likeness of him, its
fidelity to nature being the subject of much
praise on the part of many friends who
knew him. Mrs. Baugh is a lady of cul-
ture and pleasant manner, highly esteemed
in the community where she has now made
her home for almost a half century.



JOHN AUGUSTINE SCHREINER.

John Augustine Schreiner, city and
county surveyor, was born in Washington
county, Ohio, March 2, 1848, his parents
being Theodore and Anna M. (Tuttle)
Schreiner. The father was born in Ba-
varia, Germany, near the ancient historic



city of Worms, June 15, 181 1, and was a
son of the Rev. Carl Julius Schreiner, who
was a prominent minister of the Lutheran
Evangelical church in the town of Gro-
sen. There he remained in the active
work of the ministry up to the time of his
deatli, which occurred in 1818. Theodore
Schreiner then went to live with his uncle,
with whom he found a good home and in
the village academy he pursued his studies,
the curriculum embracing Latin, French
and English. At an early age he began
learning the cabinet maker's trade and af-
terward traveled through Germany, Aus-
tria, Italy, Switzerland and France. In
June, 1833. he joined a colony of two
hundred emigrants of his native town
who sailed from Havre, France, to
Baltimore in an American brig. Dur-
ing the voyage, Axhich covered fifty-
six days. Mr. Schreiner aplied him-
self to the practical study of the Eng-
lish language and made such progress that
he was chosen leader by his companions
])ecause of his knowledge of the tongue.
He led a party of seventy-five to Mis-
souri, where they intended to locate, but
because of the lack of water there they re-
turned to Washington county, Ohio,
where several farms were purchased and
a German colony established. These peo-
ple soon became naturalized American citi-
zens. They were of a deeply religious
nature and erected a house of worship. As
there was no ordained minister they
elected a lay preacher and Mr. Schreiner
because of his superior education and
early training was called to the office, and
some years later he was ordained and in-
stalled as a minister of the German Evan-
gelical church and he served the people as



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



159



pastor for twenty years, ministering at
different times to three congregations and
exerting a splendid influence for good in
his community. He also followed his trade
in Ohio until 1855, when he came to
Iowa, reaching ]\Iount Pleasant on the
19th of August. Here he became a con-
tractor and builder and was identified with
the earl}- impro^•ement of the city. In
i860 he l^egan the manufacture of sash,
doors and blinds and conducted his plant
for twelve years, evidences of his handi-
work being seen in man}- of the earlv
buildings of the city. He retired from ac-
tive business life in 1880, but for many
3^ears thereafter figured prominently in
Masonic circles. He was initiated into the
order in Mount Pleasant, August 22,
1856, and the following November was
made a Master Mason. Soon afterward
he was chosen tyler of his lodge and he
became a Royal Arch Mason in Henry
chapter. No. 8. March 14, 1857. He was
soon appointed tyler of the chapter and he
attained the Knight Templar degree at
Des Moines in June, 1864. Ixit transferred
his membership to Jerusalem Command-
ery. No. 7, Knights Templar, of Mount
Pleasant on its organization and was made
sentinel thereof. In June, 1859, he was
appointed grand tyler at the sixteenth an-
nual convocation of the grand lodge at
Davenport, and for thirty-seven consecu-
tive years served in that capacity. In
1863 he was appointed to the same posi-
tion in the grand chapter, and in- the grand
commandery in 1864, filling the different
positions with credit to himself and satis-
faction to the members of the craft. He
was presented with many valuable pres-
ents and testimonials from the different



bodies, including a beautiful tyler sw^ord
gold watch, medal, etc. He was elected
an honorary member of the grand lodge
for faithfulness and efficient service in the
responsible office of grand tyler. In 1870
he was chosen grand scribe and in that ca-
pacity he represented the grand chapter at
the triennial session of the general grand
chapter of the United States at Baltimore,
in 1 87 1. He was also elected an honor-
ary member of the grand commandery
and elected a member of Damascus Coun-
cil No. 13, Royal and Scottish Masons,
in which he was sentinel in the local lodge
and in the grand council. He attained the
32d degree of the Scottish rite, and was
grand captain of the guards in the grand
consistory of Iowa. On the 15th of June,
1887, he became a member of the Alystic
Shrine, at Cedar Rapids. He was prob-
ably better known in Masonry in Iowa than
any other man, sa\'e perhaps the grand
secretary, and with few exceptions was
longer in official service. The golden wed-
ding ceremony of Mr. and Mrs. Schreiner
was performed in the Masonic hall in the
presence of about four hundred friends,
and they were presented with man}' valu-
able and beautiful gifts, including a beau-
tiful silver tea set from the state senate.
On the occasion of their sixtieth wedding
anniversary the celebration was held at
the home of their son. It was on the nth
of January, 1835, that Mr. Schreiner was
married in Marietta, Ohio, to Miss Anna
M. Tuttle, who was born in Bristol, Con-
necticut, February 27, 1812. and when
four years of age was taken to Ohio by
her parents, Mr. and IVIrs. Joel Tuttle.
Both her father and mother died in the
Buckeye state. In politics ]\Ir. Schreiner



i6o



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



was always a stanch republican, and he
held the office of door-keeper in the state
senate from 1876 until 1886. He was a
man of commanding presence, tall and
straight and of fine bearing, was a broad
reader and an intelligent, cultured gentle-
man, \\ho, wherever he was known, gained
many warm friends.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Schreiner
were born six children. Mary Caroline,
the eldest, married A. E. Wagstaff and
died August 24, 1859. They had one
daughter who died in infancy. Charles
Julius, the second of the family, married
Emma Stewart, by whom he has five chil-
dren. He was a soldier of the Eleventh
Iowa Infantry throughout the Civil war,
and now resides in Mount Pleasant. Rev.
Edwin Luther Schreiner, the third of the
family, was married in 1869 to Martha
M. Robinson, who died in 1892, leaving
two daughters, Mary and Olive. He re-
sides in Albia, Iowa, where he has charge
of the Methodist church. In 1901 he was
married again, his second union being
with Mrs. Arms. Johnson. He was a sol-
dier of Company F, First Iowa Infantry
in the Civil war, responding to the presi-
dent's first calif:; troops and participated
in the battle of Wilson Creek. In 1862
he went out with what was called the
squirrel hunters of Ohio, a regiment from
Cincinnati, who furnished their own rifles.
Later he was attached to the Christian
commission. He entered the Methodist
conference in 1865, and for forty years
has been a minister of the church. Theo-
dore M. Schreiner, the foiu'th member of
the family, was born in 1843, ^'""^^ 's a
printer by trade. He enlisted in 186 1 in
Company K, Sixth Iowa Infantn^ was



( )



captured at the battle of Shiloh and died
as a prisoner of war in Macon, Georgia,
in September, 1862, his remains being in-
terred in the national cemetery at Ander-
sonville, Georgia. John Augustine Schrei-
ner is the fifth of the family. M. O.
Schreiner, the youngest, was born in Ohio
in 1852, and is a carpenter of Mount
Pleasant. He married Miss Georgia



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 18 of 85)