Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 21 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 21 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


City, Wisconsin, November 15, 1872, and
is a son of Bernard and Mary ( Nauer)
Gloeckler, both of whom were natives of
Germany, and as young people came to
America, settling in Portage City, Wis-
consin, where they were married. The
father there followed the occupation of
farming until his death in 1883, and the
mother still lives at the old home place.

Charles G. Gloeckler acquired his edu-
cation in the common schools and in the
business college at Portage City and then
entered a marble shop, where he learned
his trade, working there for four years.
At the expiration of that period he went
to Milwaukee, where he was employed
for a time in a wholesale yard, after
which he returned to Portage, where he
\\as employed as a marble cutter for one
summer. He next made his way to the
southern part of the state, where he
worked for about four vears at Bos-
cobel. Grant countv. Wisconsin, fol-



lowing which he took up his abode
in Lineas, the county seat of Linn
county, Missouri, whence he came to
Mount Pleasant in December, 1895. Here
he worked as a salesman for a marble
house for two years, and in 1897 he began
business on his own account, being located
for fi\-e years on West Monroe street, and
in January, 1903, moved to his present lo-
cation on South Jefferson street, near the
public square, in a building erected for his
firm, they giving a long-time lease. Here
he has a power plant and the latest appli-
ances for his work. He started in a good
shop, but widi a small stock, and at first
employed but one man. He has, however,
made a success of the business and now re-
ceives a liberal share of the public patron-
age and furnishes employment to three
workmen, while his sales extend through-
out the county and to some extent into
adjoining counties. He has done much
of the best work in his line in this vicin-
itv, and has made continuous progress in
his business career, being now at the head
of a large and profitable trade.

Air. Gloeckler has also taken an active
interest in democratic ix)litics since coming
to Henry county, and is now at the head
of the democratic organization, being the
chairman of the county central committee.
He is likewise a member of the congres-
sional committee and has served in similiar
capacities for a number of years. He
was for a time political editor of the
Free Press, the democratic paper of the
county. He gives earnest and thoughtful
consideration to each cpiestion of import-
ance concerning the political condition of
state or nation and is fearless in his ad-
vocacv of what he believes to be rio'ht.



HEXRY COUNTY. lOJl'A.



177



On the 26th of September, 1898, was
celebrated the marriage of Mr. Gloeckler
to Miss Mattie S. Stearns, a daughter of
Royal H. and Mary Jane (Stearns)
Stearns. The father was born near Rock-
ingham, VeiTnont, of old New England
stock, his ancestors having come to the
new world with Governor Winthrop. The
grandfather, Hubbard Stearns, was a
fanner of Rockingham, and there Roval
H. Stearns lived, owning the old home-
stead until coming to Creston, Iowa. He
married Mary Jane Stearns, descended
from the same family but through another
line, being the daughter of Eastman
Stearns, also a farmer near Rockingham",
and a well educated man. Miss Mary
Jane Steams was educated at Knox Col-
lege. Galesburg, Illinois, her uncle Jona-
than Blanchard, being president of that
institution at that time. He later founded
the well known business college at Whea-
ton. Illinois.

Prior to her marriage, Mrs. Stearns had
been one of the successful teachers of
northern Iowa. Her daughter, now the
wife of our subject, was educated in the
Mount Pleasant high school, and then
graduated from the Iowa Wesleyan Uni-
versity with the degree of Bachelor of Or-
atory, in the class of 189 1, and after teach-
ing in the Mount Pleasant public schools,
she later attended the Lyam School of
Oratory for one year and then the Co-
lumbia School of Oratory, in Chicago,
with a view of becoming a teacher of phys-
ical culture. She is a member of the Pi
Beta Phi sorority, and at present is en-
gaged in library work. Mrs. Gloeckler is
a member of the Congregational church
and her husband contributes to its support.



Fraternally Mr. Gloeckler is connected
with the Modern Woodmen of America
and has served as Venerable Consul in the
local lodge. He is a man of fine and pow-
erful physique, pleasant and agreeable
manner and courteous disposition. His
life most happily illustrates what may be
attained li}' faithful and continued effort
in carrying out an honest purpose.

Integrity, activity and energy have been
the crowning points of his success and his
connection with the business interests of
Mount Pleasant has been of advantage
to the city, promoting its material wel-
fare.



TIMOTHY LANGDOX ANDREWS,
M. D.

A life of usefulness now crowned with
years and honors — such in lirief is the his-
tory of Dr. Timothy Langdon Andrews,
now li\'ing retired in Mount Pleasant. He
has passed the eighty-seventh milestone
on life's journey, his birth having occurred
in Danbury. Connecticut, on the 9th of
May. 18 19. a son of William and Sarah
(Parkhill) Andrews. His ancestors be-
came residents of the new world during
the colonial epoch in the history of the
country. His father. Rev. William An-
drews, was a Congregational minister and
during his active connection with the pas-
toral work of the church was located at
Windham, Danbur\- and Cornwall. Con-
necticut, his death occurring in the last
named place, while his wife passed away
at Marietta, Ohio. They had six sons and



1/8



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



a daughter, and five of the sons became
ministers of the Congregational denomina-
tion, while the other also entered profes-
sional life.

The early boyhood days of Dr. Andrews
were spent in Danbury and Cornwall, Con-
necticut, and after acquiring his elemen-
tary education in the common schools he
subsequently attended the Cornwall Acad-
emy, acquiring a good, liberal education.
He likewise profited by instiTiction from
his father, who was a most highly edu-
cated man. When he had completed his
own course of study he engaged in teach-
ing school and was variously employed in
his early manhood. For a time he con-
ducted a store, but liecoming imbued with
a desire to make the practice of medicine
his life work, he began studying with Dr.
North, of South Cornwall, afterward
entering the Vermont Medical Col-
lege, at Castleton, Vermont, where
he was graduated in November. 1845,
with the degree of Doctor of Medinine.
Leaving New England for a more con-
genial climate, for he believed the rigorous
winters of New England were detrimental
to his health, he made his way to Cincin-
nati, Ohio, immediately after his gradua-
tion, and there spent some time in attend-
ing medical lectures and visiting hospitals.
Later he w^ent to Clarksville, Tennessee,
v/here for a year he engaged in teaching in
an academy. Believing that his lungs w^ere
affected, in the spring of 1847 he went to
New Orleans, hoping to be benefited by
the change, and, there entered upon the
practice of medicine. In January, 1849,
he was employed by the American Coloni-
zation Society as physician and surgeon
to accompany a cargo of emancipated



slaves to Liberia, Africa. Cholera broke
out on shipboard and eighteen died in the
first few days, but the disease was checked
before there were any more deaths. The
voyage lasted seventy days. On leaving
Africa in April, the same year. Dr. An-
drews crossed the ocean to South Amer-
ica, landing first at Brazil an dafterward
went to Rio Janeiro. Not finding any boat
to take him back to NeW' Orleans, he be-
came a passenger on a German vessel
bound for San Francisco by the way of
Cape Horn, and arrived at the Golden
Gate in November, 1849. There per-
forming various services acting as in-
spector of customs, as editor of a news-
paper and as a school teacher. In the
spring of 185 1 he made a voyage into the
Southern Pacific waters and remained
on an island of the Navigator or Samoan
group for four months, trafficking with
the natives. He then returned by wa}' of
the Sandwich Islands, wdiere he spent
several months with a cousin. Rev. Lor-
rin Andrews, a missionary in Honolulu.
In March, 1855, Dr. Andrews returned
to New England by the Nicaraugua route
and in the fall of the same year located
at Marietta, Ohio, where in the spring of
1856 he assumed editorial control of the
Marietta Intelligencer, a whig newspaper.
A\'hile acting as its editor and publisher,
he used his influence for the formation of
the Republican party and the adoption of
its principles, supporting John C. Fre-
mont for president and Salmon P. Chase
for governor of Ohio. He made a close
study of the great questions which resulted
in the organization of the party and was
the champion of the principles w^hich gave
it birth.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



179



In May, 1856, Dr. Andrews was united
in marriage to Miss Laura A. Childs, of
Niagara Falls, New York, who died in
January, 1871, at Orient, Adair county,
Iowa, leaving live children : John F. ;
Daisy, now the wife of Howard E. Eide,
of Providence, Rhode Island; Edward C. ;
Herbert B., and Laura A., the wife of
Walter F. Fowler, of Kansas City. The
sons are now residents of Los Angeles,
California.

Impaired health and the close confine-
ment necessary to his editorial work
obliged Dr. Andrews to abandon the field
of journalism, and in 1862 he removed to
Niagara Falls, where he remained until
1869. In that year in company with his
eldest son he made his way to Iowa, set-
tling in Adair county, where his family
later joined him. There he turned his
attention to farming and to the practice of
medicine. In October, 1874, following the
death of his wife, he removed to Creston,
Iowa, his children having in the meantime
returned to the east. Having changed his
professional views and embraced homeo-
pathy. Dr. Andrews entered its practice in
Creston, wdiere he continued until 1883,
when he went to Wichita, Kansas, and in
the practice of medicine and surgery se-
cured a large patronage, which claimed his
attention until about 1890. He then went
to St. Joseph, Missouri, where, in collabo-
ration with Mrs. Andrew^s, he wrote for
the St. Joseph Daily Nezvs and the Journal
of Commerce, of which he was editor. He
had been married in the meantime, on the
27th of March, 1877, to Mrs. Sarah E.
White, a daughter of William H. Taylor,
one of the pioneer residents of Henry
county, Iowa, and in 1892, following the



death of Mrs. Taylor, they returned to this
county to care for Mr. Taylor, with wdiom
they remained until his demise. Here Dr.
Andrews has since lived retired. He and
his wife attend and support St. Michael's
Episcopal church. Mrs. Andrews was
born in Marietta, Ohio, November 30,
1839, her parents being W. H. and Susan
H. (Talbot) Taylor. She was a resident
of Marietta while the Doctor was an edi-
tor there during her girlhood days. In
1865, in Henry county, she became the
wife of Edward T. White, then a resident
of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. He was the
founder of the Free Press, a republican
paper of Mount Pleasant, and later was
editor of a paper in Bloomfield, Iowa,
where his death occurred. Air. Taylor
was one of the early residents of this
county and owned and conducted a fruit
farm near the town.

Dr. Andrews in the midst of a busy life
has given considerable attention to the
study of botany and collected a fine her-
barium, which he gave to Ames Agricul-
tural College in 1903. He kept this up
from time of graduation at all times and
all places. One plant which he discovered
in California was named in his honor by
Dr. Torrey, the celebrated botanist. Al-
ways fond of scientific research and in-
vestigation, he has continually broadened
his knowledge as the years have advanced.
His life record has contained various ex-
periences, and in his visits to many parts
of the globe he has gained the culture and
learning which only travel can bring. The
Doctor, a man of strong religious nature,
has lived his religion in his everv-dav life.
His character is one of beauty, and today
he is one of the honored and esteemed citi-



i8o



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



zens of Mount Pleasant, spending the eve-
ning of life here in the enjoyment of a
well merited rest.



REV. THOMAS J. MYERS, D. D.

Rev. Thomas J. Myers, one of the
leading Methodist Episcopal divines of
southeastern Iowa, now serving for his
second term as presiding elder of the Bur-
lington district, was horn near Lafayette,
Indiana, June 7, 1840, his parents being
Reuben and Sally (Moore) ]\Iyers. His
paternal grandfather, Abraham ]\Iyers.
was born August 14, 1777, and died May
23, 1849, ^vhile his wife, who bore the
maiden name of Catherine Bare, was born
February 13, 1778, and died October 28,
1854. Reuben Myers was a native of
York county, Pennsylvania, born March
29, 18 1 5, the family having been estab-
lished in the new world in colonial da)^s
by German ancestors. When a young man
he removed to Indiana, and was married
in AA'^arren county that state, to Miss Sally
Moore, whose birth occurred in Chilli-
cothe, Ross county, Ohio, May 7, 1819.
Her father, Edward Moore, was a soldier
of the war of 181 2. Reuben Myers fol-
lowed the occupation of farming in War-
ren county, near the city of Lafayette, un-
til 1843. when he came to Iowa, settling
at Agency, Washington township, Wa-
pello county, near where the new purchase
was made. He both pre-empted and en-
tered land, receiving government warrants
signed by James K. Polk, then president



of the United States. Giving his attention
to the cultivation and improvement of his
farm, he spent his remaining days in that
locality, although his death occurred at
the home of his son. Dr. Myers, Feb-
ruary 5, 1901. Two years before, on the
19th of January, 1899, his wife had died
upon the old homestead. They were mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church
and belonged to the first class organized
in Wapello county. Mr. Myers also as-
sisted in building the first school near his
home in Iowa, and it was afterward used
for a meeting place. Especially interested
in religious work, he acted as a local min-
ister for the Methodist denomination, and
his home was always open for the enter-
tainment of the Methodist circuit rider
and for preachers of other denominations
as well. His business interests were care-
fully conducted and he became an exten-
sive and prosperous farmer, owning five
hundred acres of valuable and productive
land.

Rev. Myers, educated in the district
schools in early youth, afterward attended
an academy, the building of which was
erected by his father and a few other
progressive men in the neighborhood in
the town of Ashland. In 1858 he entered
the Iowa Wesleyan L'niversity, in which
he remained until 1861, when he put aside
his text-books in order that he might aid
his country in the struggle for the preser-
vation of the L^nion. He joined the First
Iowa Cavalry, June 13, onty two months
after Fort Sumter was fired upon and
went into camp at Burlington, after which
the regiment was ordered to St. Louis and
thence proceeded southward to Pea Ridge,
Arkansas, arriving there just two days




THOMAS J. MYERS, D. D.



THE NFW YORK
PUB4.IC UBRARY



AJrrOI, LBn»X AND



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA. 183

after the battle. Rev. Myers saw active dained elder by Bishop Bowman, at

service in the western department, in Mis- \\'ashington, Iowa.

souri. Arkansas, and Texas. He was also On severing his connection with the
at Memphis, Tennessee, and participated Kirksville charge Rev. Myers went to
in the battles of Blackwater, Silver Creek, Kossuth and his three years' service there
Prairie Grove, Bayou ]\Ieter, Little Rock was followed by a three years' pastorate
and the siege of that city. The First Iowa at Danville church, at which time he
afterward participated again against the erected the house of worship and pur-
rebel forces and the most important en- chased the parsonage, changing the loca-
gagement was at Marke Mills. Rev. Myers tion of both from the old to the new town.
served as first duty sergeant, and was also When the church was nearing completion
home on recruiting service for four it was demolished by what is known in
months. He was then at Little Rock, Ar- history as the Grinnell cyclone, and it was
kansas, on detached service under Captain therefore necessary that the work be un-
Swain, in the mustering and disbursing dertaken again. Following a year's pas-
office for the last six months of his term torate at the south church in Burlington,
of enlistment, and was mustered out on Dr. Myers was then appointed to the
the 9th of September, 1864, at Davenport, Burlington district as presiding elder by
Iowa, three years and three months after Bishop Foster, having twenty-six charges
the date of his enlistment. with nearly seventy churches. Dr. Myers
Having determined to make the minis- remained as presiding elder for six years,
try his life work, he entered Garrett Bib- being the first man west of the Mississippi
lical Institute, at Evanston, Illinois, where who ever served for that length of time,
he jDursued the theological course and then When his term as presiding elder was
joined the Iowa conference in 1869, be- over he accepted the pastorate of the Cen-
ing assigned to New Sharon, Iowa, as his terville church and bought a parsonage
first charge. He was also the first pastor location, after which he began the circula-
of that circuit. With zeal and energy tion of the subscription list for the build-
he entered upon his work, collected sub- ing. At the end of one year he was ap-
scriptions and had the church at Forest pointed presiding elder for the Keokuk
Home well under way at the end of his district, and removed to Mount Pleasant,
first year's pastorate. The next year he building his present home at that time. He
was transferred to Sigourney, Iowa, served there for six years, and prior to the
where he also spent a year, followed by a end of the term was appointed treasurer
year's pastorate at Otley, Iowa. He was of the Iowa Wesleyan University. Later
for two years at Bellefontaine, and for he was appointed financial agent for the
three years at Kirksville, being in charge school and held both offices for five years,
of the erection of the parsonage of the from 1897 until 1902. He was also ap-
improvement of the church. In the fall pointed a member of the board of trustees
of 1 87 1 he was ordained deacon by Bishop in 1888 and is still acting in that capacity,
Ames, at Mount Pleasant, and in 1873 or- while since 1905 he has been a member of



i84 BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW

the executive committee. During his real value of his services at that time for

trusteeship the chapel and science hall and the anxious days and nights spent by Dr.

also Hersey hall have been built. In 1902 Myers, nor pay the debt of gratitude

he was again appointed presiding elder which they owe him for the financial value

of the Burlington district, an unusual of his services to the Iowa Wesleyan

precedent for one man to serve one district University.

for two terms. He is still holding his po- On the i6th of September, 1869, at

sition and is also college treasurer. His Victoria, Knox county, Illinois, Rev.

work in behalf of the Wesleyan Univer- Myers was married to Miss Eliza J. Mor-

sity is indeed worthy of note. He was the rison, a daughter of John and Harriet

last financial agent and his services con- Morrison, the former a business man of

tinned from 1897 until 1 902, during which that place. The parents of Mrs. Myers

time he acted as treasurer as well. He took were, for long years before coming to Illi-

charge during the financial depression nois, leading members of the Methodist

which swept over the country wrecking Episcopal church in Senecaville, Ohio,

thousands of business enterprises and the The mother, Harriet Morrison, died in

country's confidence. Business had not Homer, Illinois, April 7, 1871. The fa-

again entered upon an era of prosperity, ther, John Morrison, died at Fairmount

The people were cautious and contribu- July 15, 1893. Dr. and Mrs. Myers be-

tions were limited and difficult to secure, came the parents of three sons and a

After some months in active service in be- daughter. The eldest is Dr. Edward Mor-

half of the institution he saw the impos- rison, a practicing physician and surgeon,

sibility of raising funds to liquidate the of Boone, Iowa, who was born May 12,

large and growing debt but he rallied a 1872, and was graduated from the Iowa

few friends who were men of property Wesleyan University with the Bachelor of

and with them he put his personal credit Arts degree in 1893, while that of Master

back of the institution and held its busi- of Arts degree was conferred upon him

ness interests steady until the country in 1896. He completed a course in the

could recover from its embarrassment and medical department of the Northwestern

alarmed financial condition. Iowa being an University, at Chicago, with the degree of

agricultural country had not suffered to Doctor of Medicine in 1900, and was a

the extent that other parts of the Union member of the house staff of Mercy Hos-

had done, but its farming community was pital for two years. He is now practicing

cautious and became imbued with the idea successfully in Boone. Mary L. Myers,

that they were suffering financially and who was graduated from Iowa Wesleyan

that they must wait until times were bet- University with the degree of Bachelor of

ter. Meanwhile the authorities of the col- Science, in 1895, ^""^^^ married February

lege under the financial secretaryship of 5, 1902, to Lieutenant Edward W.

Rev. Myers and the efficient services of Hearne, of Mount Clair, New Jersey.

President Stafford waited for better times. Charles Haven, who was born January 10,

History can never give an account of the 1880, was graduated from the Iowa Wes-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



185



leyan University with the Bachelor of Arts
degree in 1902, and is noAv a student in
the Drew Theological University, at Mad-
ison. New Jersey, and is also pursuing a
course in Columbia University, New
York, for his Master's degree. John F., the
3'oungest of the family, is with his parents
in Mount Pleasant. He was educated
in the public and high schools of Mount
Pleasant, and was also a student in the
Iowa Wesleyan University. He is also
completing his graduating course in the
Conservatory of Music, and is considered
one of the finest musicians of tjie city, hav-
ing a very fine voice. During the tenn
of 1905-6 he was the leader of the Univer-
sity Glee Club. Choosing commercial
life, howe\er, he left the university proper
before completing the course.

Dr. Myers received the degree of Doc-
tor of Divinity from the Southwestern
Kansas College, at AA'infield, Kansas, in
June, 1902. He is a member of the Mat-
thias post. Grand Army of the Republic,
of Burlington, and in matters of citizen-
ship is deeply interested but has found lit-
tle time for co-operation in public move-
ments aside from his work in behalf of the
churcli and religious education. He is,
however, a man of scholarly attainments
and broad humanitarian principles, which
qualities have been shadowed forth be-
t\\"een the lines of this review and more-
o^■er there is an abiding charity and kindly
sympathy in him that has won him uni-
form confidence and regard, while his
mental qualities have gained him the re-
spect and admiration of his fellow men,
especially throughout the middle west,
where he has taken a prominent and ac-
tive part in Methodism for many years.



GARY S. KESINGER.

Gary S. Kesinger, of Rome, is a native
son of Ohio, his birth having occurred in
Lancaster on the 17th of September, 1859.
He is a son of John and Rebecca J. Kes-
inger, the father being born in Rocking-
ham county, Virginia, on the 31st day of
October. 181s. later removing to Ohio,
where he still lives. Rebecca J. Kes-
inger, the daughter of John Cozine, was
born in Bedford county. Pennsylvania, on
the 1 2th day of October. 1826, and died at
the age of sixty-eight years and ten
months. August 13. 1895.

Gary S. Kesing-er was reared under the
parental roof and obtained a common
school education. He continued with his
father until twenty-one years of age. wdien
he began learning telegraphy, and w-as
employed at different points along the
road until 1892. when he came to Rome.
Here he established a general repair shop,



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 21 of 85)