Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 25 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 25 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


spirit of self-seeking is too pronounced.
He has never been too occupied with per-
sonal interests to perform the duty which
each man owes to his fellow men and with
a sense of conscientious obligation has
worked to ameliorate the hard conditions
of life and to do away with existing cir-
cumstances which prove detrimental to
the race.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



21 I



GEORGE S. COLLINS.

George S. Collins, who for more than a
half centniy has resided in Henry county,
where he is now successfully engaged in
farming, was horn in Ohio county, Indi-
ana, on the 30th of October, 1845. ^''is
parents being Henry B. and Catherine
(Shannon) Collins, natives of New York
and Pennsylvania respective! }- and the lat-
ter a daughter of George Shannon. The
marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Collins was
celebrated in Indiana, where the}' resided
upon a farm until tlie sprjng of 1850,
when, thinking to have better opportunities
for the accpirement of a comfortable com-
petence in the new and growing west, they
made their way down the Ohio and up the
Mississipper river to Burlington, whence
they drove across the country to Balti-
more townshp, Henr}- county. Here Mr.
Collins invested in one hundred and ninety-
six acres of land on section 29, which was
partially improved but was largely cov-
ered with timber and brush. There was a
little log cabin on the place but soon after-
ward Mr. Collins built another log house,
which was more commodious and sub-
stantial. He then gave his atention to
clearing and tilling the fields, taking away
the brush and timber and placing the land
under the plow, so that in course of time
good harvests were garnered. He lived
in his log house until his death, which oc-
curred on the 30th of July, 1877. Later in
that year the family erected a frame resi-
dence and the widoAA- continued to reside
upon the home farm until her death, which
occurred in 1885.

George S. Collins was the youngest son
in a family of three sons and six daugh-



ters, five of his sisters, hovve\er, being
younger than he. He spent his boyhood
days on the old home place and is indebted
to the public school system of Baltimore
township for the eduaitional pri\-ileges he
enjoyed. He worked in the fields through
the summer months, aiding in the task of
plowing, planting and harvesting and he
continued upon the old homestead until the
time of his marriage, which was cele-
brated on the 8th of January, 1874, Miss
Ellen Shelledy becoming his wife. She
was born in Jasper county, Iowa, April
25, 1852, and her education was acquired
in, the district schools there. Her par-
ents were Can- D. and Carrie Amanda
Shelledy, the former born July 30. 1822,
and the latter June 10, 1825. The paternal
grandfather, Stq^hen Shelledy, was a sol-
dier in the Greybeard Regiment of Iowa
in the Civil war. He had also served as
a soldier of the war of 1812. and thus
did valuable militaiy service for his coun-
try on two different occasions. Can- D.
Shelledy was a saddlemaker by trade and
manufactured the first saddle ever made in
Mount Pleasant. He married and lived
on a farm in Jasper county, Iowa, but his
wife did not live long and later lie mar-
ried Sarah Jane Hale. About i8()i he
|)urchased a farm on Skunk river in Balti-
more township, Henry county, where he
resided until 1877, when he sold that prop-
erty and bought another farm in Balti-
more township, residing there until his
death, which occurred in July. 1892. In
the family were five children, Mrs. Col-
lins being the third in o\\\q\- of birth.

Following their marriage Mr. Collins
])uilt a house on the home farm and op-
erated the land until after his mother died,



212



BIOGRAPHICAL REJIEJV



when he purchased the interest of the
other heirs in the propert}^ He has since
resided on tJie old homestead in the house
which was built in 1877. He owns here
one hundred and seventy-two acres of land
on sectoin 29, Baltimore township, which
is arable and productive. He has fenced the
entire fami with wire fencing and has
made good substantial improvements. He
has a horse and hay barn, thirty-six by
sixty feet and he uses the latest improved
machiner}' to facilitate the work of the
fields. In connection with the production
of crops best adapted to soil and climate
he also raises Red Durham cattle and
Houdan chickens, having now on hand
about one hundred and fifty of these fowls.
Unto Mr. and ]\Irs. Collins have been
born four children: Caiy A., born July
9. 1875. and now living in Jackson town-
ship; William Roy, born February 9,
1882. also a resident of Jackson township;
Albert Ross, who was born July 9. 1887,
and is at home, and Nellie Myrtle, born
January 29, 1892. Air. Collins is a firm
believer in the teachings of the Alethodist
•Episcopal church and served as one of its
trustees for many years. His political al-
legiance is given to the democracy and
he has served as road supervisor. Every
movement that is calculated to benefit the
township or county receives his endorse-
ment, for he is a public-spirited citizen
and one whose aid can be counted upon
to further progressive public measures.
Almost his entire life has been passed in
the county, for he was less than five years
of age at the time of the removal of his
parents from Ohio county, Indiana, to
Iowa. Thus for fifty-six years he has been
a witness of the many changes that have



occurred here as the wild and unsettled
prairie and forest regions have been con-
verted into fine farms with here and
there flourishing towns and \illages in
their midst. The experiences of pioneer
life were familiar to him in his youth and
he assisted in the arduous task of devel-
oping a new farm. He has seen many
changes, but none have been more marked
than in the methods of farming. In the
old days the work of the fields was done
largely by hand, but such labor has been
supplanted by the work of machinery and
agricultural implements, rendering the
life of the farmer now a comparatively
easy one, although any successful man is
always busy, and Mr. Collins is no ex-
ception to this rule.



HEZEKIAH DEAIAREE \A'ALKER.

H. D. A\^alker has for many years fig-
ured prominently in fraternal circles in
Iowa, and is particularly well know-n
throughout the state in Knights of Pyth-
ias circles, for since 1874 he has occupied
the position of grand keeper of the rec-
ords and seal. He has a very wide and
favorable acquaintance in Mount Pleas-
ant, where he makes his home, and al-
though he is now seventv-five vears of
age he is yet a hale and heart}- man, giv-
ing out of the rich stores of his wisdom
and experience for the benefit of others.
In addition to his duties in connection
with the fraternity, he is also conducting
a successful insurance business.



HEXRY COUNTY, lOJl'A.



21



Air. \\'alker was born near Chambers-
burg, Pennsylvania, on the i6th of Octo-
ber, 1830. his parents being- Wilham and
Mary (Houghtehn) Walker. The family
is of Irish lineage. The grandfather
W'a.ker was born in Scotland, and came
to America in his youth with his parents,
who settled near Carlisle, Pennsylvania,
at an early period in the development of
that state. Having arrived at years of
maturity, the grandfather was married.
His wife was born on the island of Man-
hattan, and was of Holland parentage.

William Walker, father of. Hon. H. D.
Walker, was born in Franklin countv,
Pennsylvania, and in Carlisle learned the
trade of shoemaking', which he afterward
conducted for many years in the borough
of Newville, Cumberland county, Penn-
sylvania. He finally abandoned shoemak-
ing and bought a farm near Gettysburg,
in Adams county, on which he li\-ed until
his death, in 1854. Following her hus-
band's decease, his wife afterward came
to Mount Pleasant, Henry county, and
made her home with her son, H. D.
W^alker, until she was called to her jfinal
rest, in 1878, at the ripe old age of eighty-
four years. Both were devoted in their
loyalty to the Presbyterian church, in
which they long held membership, and
they were most highly respected people
of the community in which they resided.
In their family were five children, but
only two are now living, the younger be-
ing Alexander McLain, who is now living
at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He served
as a soldier of the Civil war, and partici-
pated in the battle of Gettysburg.

H. D. Walker of this review was
reared upon his father's farm on the fam-



ous site of the battle of Gettysburg, and
when eighteen years of age entered upon
an apprenticeship to the plasterer's trade,
becoming an expert workman. He then
traveled to some extent, being employed
as a journeyman in the states of Ohio. In-
diana, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee
and Texas, until the autumn of 1854,
when he located at Piqua, Miami county,
Ohio.

There on the 13th of March, 1856, Mr.
W^alker was united in marriage to Miss
Isabella Redman, a daughter of Samuel
and Esther Redman, who were natives of
Pennsylvania. Her father was a brick-
layer by trade and during the early girl-
hood of his daughter he removed from the
Keystone state to Ohio, where his remain-
ing days were passed. His widow after-
\\ard went to live with a brother in Ken-
tucky, where she died. Air. and Airs.
Redman had five children, of whom four
vet survive: Benjamin Franklin, who is
living in Piqua, Ohio; David E., a resi-
dent of Falmouth, Kentucky; Mahala,
the widow of William Barr. of Pennsyl-
vania ; Isabella, now Airs, ^^'alker; and
James Buchanan, who served in an Ohio
regiment during the Civil war, and died
in the soldiers' home in Ohio. Air. Red-
man was a democrat in his political views
liut never sought nor desired office. Unto
Air. and Airs. Walker were born four
children: Charles D., the eldest, born in
Alount Pleasant, April 30, 1857. was mar-
ried April 14, 1885, to Aliss Alamie Ho-
1)art, and they have one child. Hezekiah
Frederick. He is a plasterer and makes
his home in this city. Mary B.. born April
17, 1859, was married November 23,
t88o to H. B. Adams, of Aurora, Illi-



214



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



nois, who is connected with the street
railway. She has one child, Roma Hattie,
the wife of Adams Lemon and by this
marriage there is a daughter. Roma Flor-
ence. Hattie M.. born July 2},, 1863, is
the wife of H. J. DeLaubenfels, a civil
engineer, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, by
whom she has one child. Max Walker.
William F., born December 15, 1865, died
February 14, 1886, at the age of twenty
years.

Mr. Walker has for many years l^een
prominently identified with the Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows and wnth the
Knights of Pythias fraternity. He was
initiated into the former in Picjua, Ohio.
In October, 1856, he removed to Mount
Pleasant, Iowa, where he has since resided
and he at once demitted to Henry Lodge,
No. 10, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows. After filling all of the local offices,
he became a grand master in i860. In
1878 he was elected grand representative
to the Sovereign Grand Lodge of Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, and served
in that capacity at the session held in Balti-
more, in both the years September, 1878
and 1879. He was re-elected to the same
position and was representative to the ses-
sion held in Toronto, Canada, in Septem-
ber, 1880, and at Cincinnati, Ohio, in
1881. He served on the committee on
judiciary.

He became a patriarch by uniting with
the Industry Encampment, No. 18, at its
institution in October, 1857, and was pro-
moted to the chair of grand patriarch in
1869. In 1870 he became much interested
in the Knights of Pythias fraternity and
with twenty-five others sent a petition to
the Supreme Lodge of the world for a dis-



pensation to organize Eastern Star Lodge,
No. 6, Knights of Pythias, at ]\Iomit
Pleasant, Iowa. He was thereafter unani-
mously elected the first chancellor com-
mander and became a past chancellor on
the 1st of July, 1870, while in 1872 he was
duly elected a representati^•e to the grand
lodge and at the session of that body at
Burlington, Iowa, on the 9th and loth of
July, of the same year, he was elected and
duly installed grand vice chancellor, serv-
ing in that capacity until January 29,
1873, on which date he w^as elected grand
chancellor and served for one year. The
interests of the office were materially ad-
vanced and his ability and zeal won for
him a reputation that resulted in his elec-
tion to the responsible position of grand
keeper of records and seal of this juris-
diction. In 1874 he was elected to that po-
sition and has been re-elected at each suc-
ceeding election to the present time (1906)
covering a period of more than thirty-one
years. He devotes almost his entire time
to the vast interests of the order and the
conspicuous part he has taken and the
great ability he has manifested in his ad-
ministration of the duties of the office have
won for him the title of "The Model
Knight." In his home city and in fact in
many places in the state Mr. Walker is
afifectionately and familiarly termed "Dear
Daddy AA^alker," an expression which at
once indicates the near and kindly feeling
entertained for him by his many friends
and his almost fatherly interest in the wel-
fare of those who have formed his ac-
cjuaintance. His political support is given
to the republican party but he is without
aspiration for preferment in that direc-
tion. His wife is a member of the Congre-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



21



gational church and is a lady whose ex-
cellent traits of heart and mind have en-
deared her to all. They reside at No.
403 South Jefferson street, where they
have lived for forty-eight years, there
having heen only a few houses in the
neighborhood \\'hen they took up their
abode there. They both number their
friends by the hundreds and because of
their personal characteristics they have the
love and esteem of the great majority of
those with whom they have been brought
in contact. jNlr. Walker in his life has ex-
emplified the beneficient spirit of the fra-
ternities with which he has been so closely
and actively connected, and he stands for
a high type of. fraternal fidelity.



WILLIAM



ARCHIBALD.



William Archibald, now deceased, was
for many years a worthy and respected
citizen of Henry county, where he devoted
his energies with signal success to the oc-
cupation of farming. He was born in
New Haven, Ohio, October 2, 1834. his
parents being Dr. Edmond and Behnda
(Calhoun) Archibald, the f(3rmer a native
of Massachusetts and the latter of Indiana.
The paternal grandparents were William
and Elizabeth Archibald, natives of Mas-
sachusetts and the maternal grandfather
was Major John Calhoun, who served as
a soldier of the war of 1812. The parents
were married n Indiana and arri\'ed on
the present site of Lowell, in Baltimore
township, Henry county, Iowa, in 1837,



although the town had not }'et been
founded. They traveled westward b}' way
of the Ohio and Alississippi rivers to Fort
Madison, and thence drove across the
country in wagons to Lowell, which name
was gi^'en to tlie town by Dr. Archibald
in honor of Lowell, Massachusetts. He
entered land adjoining the town site and
thus established his home in the midst of
a wild and unimproved district. The In-
dians made their way up and down the
Skunk ri\'er in their canoes and pitched
their tents in the forests, hunting for wild
game. The trees were uncut, tlie stream^
unbridged and the prairie land uncultivated
and in fact, the most far-sighted could not
have dreanied that within a short space of
time all of this was to lie converted into
highly cutlivated famis with flourishing
towns in their midst. The land which Mr.
Archibald secured was covered with tim-
ber and in the midst (^f the green fore.-t he
built a log cabin and then began to clear
and improve the land. His first home was
one and a half mles west of Lowell and
there he made many improvements. Later
he lived for many years in the village,
where he died April 26, 1878, ha\ing for
several years sun'ived his wife. He was
one of the honored and valued pioneer
residents of this part of the state and
aided in laying broad and deep the founda-
tion for the development of the county.

Willam Arclxibald si)ent his boyhood
davs in his parents' home in Lowell, there
remaining until his marriage, which was
celebrated on the 6th of Septeml)er, 1854.
In the meantime he had acquired a good
education in tlie district schools of Lt^well.
He wedded Miss Sarah Hufstedler, who
was ho\•\^ in l^arkc county. Indiana. Jan-



2l6



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



nary ii, 1835, and attended the pnblic
schools of that state. Her parents were
Martin and Mar}^ (Kirkum) Hnfstedler,
natives of Kentucky and IlHnois respect-
ively. Unto ]\lr. and Mrs. Archibald
ha\'e been born five sons and two daugh-
ters. William M., bom Septem1:)er 3,
1855. married Kate Fleenor, who was born
in Des Moines county, Iowa, March 19,
1865. They residled near Clarinda, Iowa,
where he died November 14, 1901, leaving
two children: Grace A., born July 5,
1891 : and Irvin A., born February 25,
1898. lsl?i\-y Frances, born May 11, 1858,
is the A\-ife of Howard Root, of Kansas
City, Kansas and has two children : Archi-
bald W., bom April 6, 1886; and Richard
Ross, bom May 2, 1888. George W.,
born May 20, i860, died July 30, 1903.
Viola, Ijom April 26, 1866. is the wife of
John Stewart, of Lee county, Iowa, and
their children are Beatrice and Rastus. Al-
bert F., bom October 6, 1868. Harry F.,
September 23, 187 1, and Emest, May 2y,
1874, are all that home.

Following his marriage Mr. Archibald
resided in Lowell until 1896, when he
purchased a fami of one hundred and
ninetv-two acres on. section 20, which was
partially improved. He erected a resi-
dence of nine rooms in 1903 and it is one
of the attractive farm residences in this
part of the county. He built two large
barns upon tliie place. It is divided into
fields of con^"enient size and he carried on
general farming in connection with his
two sons as long as he was able to work,
but ill health at length forced him to re-
tire. At length he was compelled to un-
dergo an operation on the 20th of April.
1906, but he never rallied therefrom and



died about midnight on Saturday night,
the 2 1st of April. His remains were in-
terred in Lowell cemetery on the 24th, and
his death was deeply regretted by many
friends. He had passed the seventy-first
milestone on life's journey. His political
allegiance was given to the republican
party and his religious faith was indicated
by his membership in tlie Cumberland
Presbyterian church at Bethany. All who
knew him respected him for his many
sterling traits of character and his good
qualities of heart and mind. In his busi-
ness he prospered, owing to his carefully
directed efforts and he left his family in
comfortable circumstances.



REV. ELI H. CODDINGTON.

Rev. Eli H. Coddington, deceased, was
a prominent member of the Methodist
Episcopal ministry in Iowa, and although
he has departed this life, his influence yet
remains as a potent element for good and
his memory is yet a blessed benediction to
those who knew him. He was born in
Champaign county, Illinois, July i, 1837,
a son of William and Lucinda (Wray)
Coddington. The father was a farmer in
Maryland and came west to Iowa, both
he and his wife dying in Hillsboro, Henry
county. In their family were eight chil-
dren, but only two are now living. Caro-
line is the widow of Greenberry Trekell,
a resident of Mount Pleasant, and Cyrena
is the widow of David Taylor, who is liv-
ing at Neleigh, Nebraska.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



21'



Eli H. Coddington was a young lad
when brought by his parents to Iowa,
and his early education was acquired in
the public schools of Henry county. He
afterward entered the Iowa Wesleyan
University at Mount Pleasant in 1859,
and while a student there he belonged to
the Hamline Literary Society. His alma
mater conferred upon him the degree of
Master of Arts in 1870.

Rev. Coddington responded to the first
call for volunteers to aid in the suppres-
sion of the rebellion in the south, leaving
college for that purpose and becoming a
member of Company F, Fourteenth Iowa
Infantry, in 1861. He was wounded at
the battle of Fort Donelson in February.

1862, losing his left arm, having a shoul-
der joint amputation, which always caused
him trouble. Because of disability thus
occasioned, he was honorably discharged
from the service a few months later. After
his wound healed he re-entered college in

1863, but in 1864 ag-ain left that institu-
tion for the war, being commissioned cap-
tain of Company H, Forty-fifth Iowa In-
fantry. He served for the full term of
his enlistment and then once more became
a college student, finishing his course in
1866. He w^as particularly interested in
the study of languages and he could read
the Bible in English, Latin. Greek, Ger-
man, French and Italian. He became a
member of the Iowa conference in 1866
and was assigned that year to the pastorate
of the Methodist church in Troy, where
he remained until 1868. He was pastor
at Bloomfield, Iowa, in 1869, at Mount
Pleasant in 1870 and at Fairfield from
1 87 1 and 1873, at each place doing much
good and leaving many warm friends.



On the 24th of December, 1866, at
Troy, Iowa, Rev. Coddington was mar-
ried to Mrs. Belle (Graham) Tannehill.
who was born in Champaign county,
Ohio, December 30, 1842, a daughter of
William C. and Sarah (Patterson) Gra-
ham. Her father was a grandson of one
of the heroes of the Revolutionary war.
His birth occurred February 15, 18 16, in
Tennessee and his wife was born in the
same state, December 28, 18 15. In their
early married life the parents of Mrs.
Coddington removed to Ohio, where Mr.
Graham followed farming until 1845,
\\hen he came to Iowa, settling in Davis
county, where he again carried on agri-
cultural pursuits. He died November 30,
1882, at the age of sixty- four years, and
his remains were interred in Adair county,
Iowa. The mother of Airs. Coddington
died December 20, 1857, and was buried
in Davis county, Iowa. In the family of
this worthy couple were five children, of
whom Mrs. Coddington is the eldest. The
others are as follows: ]\Iartha J. is the
wife of F. L. Spurgeon, of Orient. Iowa,
and has four children. Andrew M. mar-
ried Miss Louisa Unkefer, by whom he
has four children and their home is at
Carl, Iowa. Howard A., who married
Miss Alice Caldwell, by whom he has
three children, resides in the state of
Washington, and during the Lewis and
Clark Exposition at Portland, Oregon,
he had charge of the exhibits from his
state. Sarah M. is the wife of William
Hoskins, of Lawrence. Kansas, andhas five
children. After losing his first wife. Mr.
Graham married Miss Ann Yost, by
whom he had three children : Ida W.. the
wife of Elmer F. Bennett, of ' Portland,



2l8



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Oregon, and the mother of four children;
Josephine, the wife of John Stewart, of
Randolph, Nebraska, and the mother of
one child, and William L., of Omaha, Ne-
braska, who married Miss Bertha Gandy
and has two children. j\Ir. Graham was
a whig in his political views and after-
w'ard became a republican. He held mem-
bership in the Alethodist church, in which
he served as class leader and steward, while
his first wife was a member of the Presby-
terian church.

Unto 'Mr. and Airs. Coddington were
born four children, but only one is now
living. Clinton G., the eldest, born De-
cember 7, 1867, in Troy. Iowa, died in
Denver, Colorado, in November, 1894.
He pursued his preliminary education in
the schools of Mount Pleasant and in 1884
entered the Iowa Wesleyan University,
which his father had previously attended,
and became a member of the same literaiy
society to which his father had belonged.
He likewise held membership with the Phi
Delta Theta and was a delegate to its
national convention at Galesburg, Illinois.
in 1890. He won the degree of Master of
Arts in 1893. He was local editor of the
lozua Wesleyan and delivered the master's
oration in 1893. After leaving college
he became assistant editor of the Randolph
Times at Randolph, Nebraska, where he
remained until his health failed in 1894.
He died suddenly of acute pneumonia. He
was a member of the Knights of Pythias
fraternity and the Masonic lodge and his
political support was given to the Repub-
lican party. He was a bright and talented
yoimg man, and as a college friend was
ideal, faithful and true. His death was a
most severe blow to his mother, for in him



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 25 of 85)