Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 28 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 28 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Hutton improved the place with good
buildings, including a two-story residence,
large and substantial barns, granaries and



236



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



sheds. In fact, all of the improvements
upon the propert}" ha\'e been placed there
by Mr. Hutton and the farm is pleasantly
and conA'cniently located about one mile
from the public square of Mount Pleasant.

In the fall of 186 1 Mr. Hutton was
united in marriage to Miss Mary Watson,
a daughter of James Watson, one of the
old settlers of Iowa, who on coming from
Illinois to this state first located in Van
Buren county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hut-
ton have been born nine children, of whom
four sons and four daughters reached
3'-€ars of maturity, while one died in in-
fancy. Charles, a farmer about two miles
from Glasgow, Jefferson county, Iowa,
married Belle Smith and has a son, W^al-
ter. James, who follows farming in De-
Kalk county, Missouri, wedded Minnie
Pennington and has two sons, Ralph and
Ross, twins. Alvin died when about six-
teen years of age. Benton met with an
accident when about ten years of age that
has blighted his life. Etta is the wife of
John Beck who has operated her father's
farm and they have three children, Velma,
Marguerite and Mildred. Emma is liv-
ing at home with her father. Lily, who
had a college education, is now the wife
of Samuel Berg, who is engaged in the
furnace and plumbing business at Way-
land, Iowa, and by whom she has one child,
Doris. Alice, Avho also completed a col-
lege course, is the wife of Guy Johnson, of
Chicago, and has two children, Gwethalyn
and Ralph. Her husband occupies a good
position with a large firm in Chicago and
also owns land in Canada.

On June 30, 1894, Mr. Hutton was
called upon to mourn the loss of his wife,
whose remains were interred in the Eorest



Home cemetery. Upon the old homestead
farm where he had so long resided and
where he had carefully conducted busi-
ness affairs Mr. Hutton continued to live
until 1 90 1, when he purchased a good
residence at No. 507 South \Miite street,
Mount Pleasant, where he has since made
his home. He was reared in the faith of
the democratic party but at the time of
the Civil war became an advocate of re-
publican principles and has since supported
the party, frecjuently attending its county
conventions as a delegate. He has held
some school offices but has never sought
political preferment. Great changes
have occurred during his connection with
Henry count}', few men having so long
witnessed its clevelopement and progress.
The histon' of the pioneer settlement of
this part of the state would be incomplete
without the record of ]\Ir. Hutton, who,
from the earliest development of the
county, has been a prominent factor in its
substantial growth and improvement. The
days of chivalry and knighthood in Europe
camiot furnish more interesting or ro-
mantic tales than our own western history.
The red men still visited the neighborhood
when he took up his abode here and the
native timber was uncut, while the prai-
ries were still covered with wild grasses.
Today this section of the country is one
of the most attractive in Iowa and the
result is due to such men as Mr. Hutton,
whose name is inseparably interwo\-en with
the annals of this region.

As Mr. Hutton is one of the longest
residents of Henry county, having lived
near Mount Pleasant for seventy-one
years, we take pleasure in presenting his
portrait from a recent photograph.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



^2>7



DR. MARY CONNER KEITH.

Dr. Mary Conner Keith, an osteopathic
physician of Mount Pleasant, to whom
has come well merited success, is a daueh-
ter of Francis Asbury and Martha Jane
(Gray) Conner. The father was born in
Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1835, and his
parents were also American born. His
father, John Connor, is living in Cort-
land, Nebraska, at the very advanced age
of ninety-one years. He enlisted during
the Civil war, and ser\'ed throughout that
long strife with the "Greybeards," and
is now the only Greybeard living. Two
of his sons were in the war, being with
the Fourth Iowa Cavalry. He had five
sons, two of whom are living in Iowa and
two in the west, while Francis A. Conner
is deceased. A cousin, J. P. Conner, is a
member of congress from the tenth dis-
trict of Iowa, and lives in Denison, this
state. \\'hen a young man, Francis A.
Conner came to Henry county, locating
in Mount Pleasant in 1866. His early
life was devoted to the practice of medi-
cine. He held many offices in Henry
county, and long continued in the public
service, and over the record of his official
career, as well as his private life, there
fell no shadow of wrong nor suspicion
of evil. He was much interested in poli-
tics, giving- stalwart support to the repub-
lican party, aiid in its councils his opin-
ions bore weight and influence. He held
membership in the Methodist church, and
earnestly desired the moral development
of the community. His death occurred
in IMount Pleasant, September 22, 1901,
and came as a personal loss to many who
knew him and had g-iven him their warm



friendship and regard. His wife was born
in Barnesville, Ohio, in 1835, and with
her parents went to Salem, Iowa, where
in December, 1856, she gave her hand in
marriage to Mr. Conner. She was reared
in the faith of the Society of Friends, or
Quakers, but is now a Methodist in re-
ligious belief. In the family of this
worthy couple were five children, of whom
four are living. Lydia B. is the wife of
W. H. Upton, a farmer and stock-raiser,
residing in Marion township, about four
miles north of Mount Pleasant. They
have four children : Marion, born in Oc-
tober. 1894; W. Harold, in November,
1896: Donald C, in January, 1898, and
Francis, in April, 1901. Mantie is the
wife of Edwin I. Thompson, a traveling
man residing in Mount Pleasant, Iowa,
and they have three children : Ruth C,
born September 19, 1888; Mary L.,
March i, 1890; and E. Warren, born
August 14. 1899. R. Gertrude is the
wife of R. W. Pitman, manager of the
Western Newspaper Union at Salt Lake
City, Utah, and has three children : Helen
May, born March 15, 1897; Martha A.,
September 8, 1899; and Malcolm G., Sep-
tember 16, 1902. Sherman Conner, the
only son of the family, died when two
years of age.

Dr. Keith, the eldest daughter in the
Conner family, first attended the public
schools of Mount Pleasant and afterward
Howe's Academy, and later she became a
court reporter and also taught stenog-
raphy in a college in Lincoln, Nebraska,
for three years. On the 26th of October,
1887, she gave her hand in marriage to
James Aylmer Keith, who was born in
Chicago, and is a son of A. L. Keith.



238



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



The Keiths are of Scotch hneage, and can
trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth
century. George Keith, who was an earl,
escorted Napoleon to his place of exile at
Helena. A. L. Keith was for some years
engaged in the clothing business in Chi-
cago, and afterward removed to Lincoln,
Nebraska, where he carried on the stock
business. Both he and his wife are now
living in Chicago, however, the former
at the age of eighty-three years and the
latter at the age of seventy years. They
had two children, of whom Charles A.
Keith is now engaged in the insurance
business in Chicago. James Aylmer
Keith was educated in the Chicago
schools, and after completing a high
school course by graduation, continued
his studies in the State University at Lin-
coln, Nebraska. He was for some time
a general agent in the insurance business
in the northwest, but now, on account of
ill-health, he is obliged to reside in the
west and on the western coast. Li his
political views he is a republican, and fra-
ternally is connected with the Masons and
Knights of Pythias.

Li 1901 Dr. Mary C. Keith, of this re-
view, entered the Osteopathic College ai
Des Moines, Iowa, from which she was
graduated in the class of 1903. She has
also taken post-graduate work along the
same line, and has studied under Dr.
Charles H. Hoffman, bacteriologist at
Des Moines, who is a celebrated scientist,
now located in Kirksville. Following her
graduation, she likewise did special work
in gynecology, orificial surgery and dis-
eases of women under Dr. Byron Robin-
son, of Chicago, who has an international
reputation, and she practiced for a year



in Des Moines while pursuing her post-
graduate work there. She also conducted
clinics during that period, and in August,
1903, she came to Mount Pleasant, and is
now located at No. 209 North Main
street. She has met with phenomenal
success during her residence here, having
a very large and profitable practice, and
is the only lady physician in the county.
She came to this city in order to \\\e with
her widowed mother, after the death of
her father.

Dr. Keith has membership relations
with the Daughters of the American Rev-
olution, and also belongs to the Methodist
Episcopal church and to the Ep worth
League. She takes great interest in her
work, and has become a most able expo-
nent of osteopathy, being a constant stu-
dent, and thus continually enlarging her
field of usefulness.



ALCETUS D. LATTA.

Alcetus D. Latta, who since 1865 has
been a resident of Iowa and is now carry-
ing on general farming and stock-raising
in Scott township, was born in Ross coun-
ty, Ohio, October 3, 1844. His father.
Moses Latta, was likewise a native of that
county and there married Miss Elizabeth
Nichols, the latter a daughter of George
and Ellen Nichols, who were natives of
Ohio. In the paternal line, however,
Mr. Latta comes of Irish lineage, his pa-
ternal grandfather, James Latta, having
been born on the Emerald Isle.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



239



Alcetus D. Latta was reared in Ohio
and is indebted to the public school sys-
tem of that state for the educational
privileges he enjoyed. When he had at-
tained his majority he sought a home in
the west for he belie^'ed that he might
have better business opportunities in a
district where competition was not so
great. Accordingly he made his way by
steamer from his native state to St. Louis,
Missouri, and thence by rail to Louisa
county, Iowa, where he arrived in the fall
of 1865. The following spring his parents
also came and the father purchased a
farm near Grand View in Louisa county
and Air. Latta of this sketch assisted in
the development and improvement of that
place up to the time of his marriage. On
the 27th of February, 1867, he was
joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Jane
Thompson, who was born in Louisa
county. Iowa, and is a daughter of Wil-
liam and Jane(Shellabarger) Thompson,
the former a native of Ross county, Ohio,
and the latter of Xenia. Greene county,
Ohio.

Following his marriage Mr. Latta
lived upon his father-in-law's farm near
Grand View for twelve years and in
1880 he came to Scott township, Henry
county, where he purchased sixty acres
of land lying on sections 3 and 10. He
has made all of the improvements on this
place, including the erection of a build-
in s;, sixteen bv twentv-foiir feet, and a
story and a half in height, to which he
has since built an addition one story in
height and fourteen by sixteen feet. He
de^^otes his time and energies to the till-
ing of the soil and to stock-raising. He
has resided continuously upon his pres-



ent farm for a quarter of a century and
its splendidly improved condition is the
result of his care and labor.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Latta were born
eight children : May, now the wife of
Edward McMath, a farmer residing in
Davis county, Iowa ; Alpha, who died at
the age of seven years ; Edith, who died
at the age of three vears ; Harlin, whose
death occurred when two vears old ; \Vil-
liam, who died when seventeen years of
age ; Scott, who is living at home ; Jen-
nie, who died, the wife of William Boz-
man, a farmer living in Wapello county,
Iowa; and Addie, the wife of Ralph Pat-
ton. The wife and mother died of pneu-
monia February 18, 1886.

Mr. Latta votes with the Republican
party and keeps well informed on the
questions and issues of the day. He has
been elected supervisor a number of
times. He belongs to the Methodist
Episcopal church and his life has been
guided in harmony with its principles
and teachings. As the years have gone
bv he has worJ<:ed persistently and earn-
estlv as a farmer to clear and improve
the property which he now owns and he
is today in possession of a good farm in
Scott township.



CHARLES HOBBIE.

Charles Hobbie is the owner of a valu-
able farm of two hundred acres on sec-
tion 26, ■ Canaan township, and is num-
bered among the substantial agriculturists



240 BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW

of his community, a position to which he cation he assisted in the farm labor, early

has attained through his own well di- becoming familiar with the arduous task

rected eflorts. He has placed his depend- of developing fields and improving the

ence upon no outside aid or influence, but property. After attaining his majority

has relied upon the substantial qualities he joined his brother Richard and Mr.

of earnest and indefatigable effort to win Haverdego in establishing a tile factory

him success in life. A native of Germany, in Des Moines county. They equipped

his birth occurred near Oldenburg, on the their plant, and for five years engaged in

25th of April, i860, his parents being its operation, at the end of which time

Eilert and Lena (Mahlmann) Hobbie. In Charles Hobbie sold his interest and went

the year 1870 Eilert Hobbie came with to southwestern Nebraska, homesteading

his family to America and made a claim of one hundred and sixty acres

his way to Danville, Des Moines coun- in Frontier county. He there lived for

ty, Iowa, where he rented a house. For about five years, during which time he

a year he was employed in the lumber made the initial improvements upon the

yard in that city and then finding an ad- farm. Later he returned to Henry coun-

vantageous opportunity to purchase a ty, where he rented land for two years,

farm, he invested in eighty acres of land and then invested his earnings in forty

on section 27, Canaan township, Henry acres on section 22, Canaan township,

county. Upon this place was a small making it his place of abode for two years,

house of two rooms and the farm was On selling that property, he bought eighty

fenced. He afterward built a more com- acres on section 25 of the same township,

modious and substantial residence, and as and made his home thereon for six years,

the years went by he carried on the work When he disposed of that property, he

of the farm in capable and energetic man- became owner of two hundred acres on

ner, resulting in the acquirement of a com- section 26, Canaan township, where he

fortable competence. He has added now lives. This had already been culti-

eighty acres to his original purchase, and vated to some extent, and he has since

now has an excellent property, comprising carried on the further work of develop-

a quarter section of land. He and his ment and improvement, giving his atten-

wife still live upon the old homestead tion to the tilling of the soil and to the

farm there, and are respected and worthy raising of cattle and Poland China hogs,

residents of their neighborhood. Both branches of his business are proving

Charles Hobbie spent the first twenty- profitable, and the neat and thrift)'- ap-

two years of his life under the parental pearance of his place indicates his careful

roof. He attended school in Germany supervision and practical methods. When

prior to the emigration of the family to he first purchased property here he paid

the United States, which event occurred fifty-five dollars per acre for his forty-acre

when he was about ten years of age. He tract, which after two years he sold for

then continued his studies in the schools seventy-one dollars per acre. In 1896 he

of Iowa, and through the periods of va- bought eighty acres at sixty dollars, which



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



241



he sold six years later for seventy dollars,
and in the spring of 1901 he paid seventy-
five dollars for his present place, which is
today worth one hundred and twenty dol-
lars per acre. This is due to the excellent
improvements he has made upon his farm
and the high state of cultivation to which
he has brought his fields, and it indicates a
life of untiring and well directed thrift to
produce such splendid results.

On the 2d of November, 1882, Mr.
Hobbie was united in marriage to Miss
Annie IMeyer, who was bom near Olden-
burg, Germany, and is a daughter of Fred
and Mary (Meinaenken) Meyer. This
union has been blessed with two children :
August, born August 23, 1883, and Ida
M., born on the 4th of October, 1885.
Both are still under the parental roof, and
the members of the family are esteemed
in the social circles in which they move.
Mr. Hobbie and his family attend the
Lutheran church, in which he holds mem-
bership, and he votes with the democracy.
He is recognized as one of the local lead-
ers of the party, and since 1899 has served
as township trustee. Matters of public
progress are of interest to him, and his
efforts in behalf of the general welfare
have been of a practical and beneficial
nature. He certainly deserves much credit
for what he has accomplished in the busi-
ness world, for he started out empty-
handed and without the aid of wealth or
influential friends. He has acquainted
himself with business conditions, and has
so directed his efforts that he is now the
owner of a fine farm and possessor of a
good competence, and has that which is of
more importance, the respect and good
will of his fellow men.



SAMUEL GREEX.

Samuel Green has for sixty-two years
resided in Henry county, being one of
its native sons, his birth having occurred
in Trenton township, October 12, 1843,
on the farm where he now lives. His
father, James C. Green, w^as a native of
Bristol county, Pennsylvania, and a son
of Robert Morris and Annie (Page)
Green, who were natives of Maryland.
Having arrived at years of maturity,
James C. Green wedded Jane Morrison,
also a native of the Keystone state and
a daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Ted-
row) Morrison, likewise natives of Penn-
sylvania. In the fall of 1836, James C.
Green came to Iowa, crossing the coun-
try from Pennsylvania by wagon. He
journeyed from Illinois \vith a Mr. Up-
degraff and took up his abode at Trenton.
His .brother, Joseph, arrived in the county
the folloAving spring and lived here until
his death, which occurred in 1892, when
he was eighty-five years of age. James
Green was about twenty-one 5'ears of age
when he arrived in Henry county, his
birth having occurred in January, 181 5.
Few white men had penetrated into the
forests or crossed the prairies of this part
of the state at that time and all was wild
and unimproved. Mr. Green took up
three hundred and twenty acres of land
on section 10, just west of Trenton, and
in fact four of the town lots of Trenton
were at one time a part of his farm. He
at once began the difiicult task of re-
claiming the land for the uses of civiliza-
tion. He built a log cabin and cleared
away the timber, for much of the farm
was covered with the native growth of



242



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



forest trees, although it bordered on the
prairie. This work was followed by the
plowing and planting, and in due course
of time good harvests were garnered.
There were nine children in the family,
five sons and four daughters, of whom
four sons and one daughter are now liv-
ing, namely : Mrs. Annie Turney, of
Saunders county, Nebraska ; Joseph and
Charles, who are residing in Mount Pleas-
ant : James C, of Winfield, Iowa, and
Samuel, of this review. The father de-
parted this life June 6, 1888, and the
mother's death occurred on the 19th of
November, 1895.

Samuel Green was reared under the
parental roof and after acquiring his ele-
mentary education in the common schools
continued his studies in Howe's Academy
at Mount Pleasant. Soon after his mar-
riage he took up his abode upon a farm
of one hundred and sixty acres in- Jef-
ferson township, which he had purchased,
and there he resided until 1901, when he
removed to the old home place at Trenton.
He purchased the interest of the other
heirs and thus became owner of a valu-
able property of three hundred and
twenty acres in 1903. His son, Maurice,
resides upon the old homestead property
in Jefferson township. Mr. Green car-
ries on general farming and also raises
Aberdeen Angus cattle, having from
twenty to thirty head upon his farm each
year. In connection with his son he also
raises from eighty to one hundred head
annually. His entire life has been de-
voted to farming and stock-raising anrl
his thorough understanding of the busi-
ness has made him one of its i)rosperous
and prominent representatives in this part



of the county. He accomplishes what he
undertakes by reason of gtalwart purpose
and indefatigable energy and he is one
of the substantial citizens of his com-
munity, his landed interests being very
valuable.

On the 30th of September, 1873. Mr.
Green was united in marriage to Miss
Jael Everts, who was born in Jefferson
township, Henry county, October 11,
1850, and was educated in the district
schools. Her paternal grandparents were
Aranthus and Margaret (Mathews)
Everts, both of whom were natives of
New York. Lawrence Everts, father of
Mrs. Green, was born in Schuyler county,
New York, and wedded Margaret Wig-
gins, also a native of that place and a
daughter of William and Sarah (Smith)
Wiggins, born in the Empire state. Unto
Mr. and Mrs. Green have been born four
children: John E., who was born on the
home place, October 19. 1875; Maurice,
who is living in Jefferson township; Jo,
a daughter, born September 3, 1889, and
Ruth, born December 25, 1893. In his
political views Mr. Green is a democrat
and always exercises his right of fran-
chise in support of the men and measures
of the party, but has never sought or de-
sired office, preferring to give his undi-
vided attention to his business affairs.
Few men have longer resided in the
county or are more familiar with the his-
tory of its development and progress.
He has watched the many changes as the
county has become thickly settled and its
broad prairies have been divided into
farms, which are now highly cultivated
and improved. Many of the present
thriving towns and villages have also



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



243



sprung up within his memory, and as the
era of invention has wrought marked
changes in the methods of hfe and busi-
ness activity, he has kept abreast with
the universal progress and is today a lead-
ing representative of agricultural in-
terests.



JAMES S. CAMPBELL.

James S. Campbell well deserves men-
tion among the representative citizens of
Henry county because of an active busi-
ness life, imtiring devotion to the general
good and also by reason of the possession
of those sterling traits of character which
in every land and clime command respect
and confidence. He chose as a life work
the occupation of farming, following it
successfully for a long period and is now
living retired in the enjoyment of a well
earned ease.

Mr. Campbell w^as born in Ashland
county, Ohio, June 4, 1828, a son of Rob-
ert and Margaret (Archibald) Campbell.
The father was born January 26, 1800, in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, and
the mother's birth occurred in the same
county on the i6th of June, 1806. Follow-
ing the occupation of farming as a life
work Robert Campbell devoted his at-
tention to that pursuit first in Pennsyl-
vania and afterward in Ashland county,
Ohio, subsequently in Henry county,
Iowa, becoming a resident here on the
15th of May, 1865. He purchased a farm
and his attention was devoted to its fur-
ther development and cultivation up to



the time of his demise, which occurred
June 17, 1877. He had for about five
years survived his wife, who died No-
vember 30, 1872, their remains being in-
terred in Pleasant Hill cemetery. Both
were devoted members of the Presbyte-
rian church and Mr. Campbell gave his
political allegiance to the democracy. He
held several township offices but his en-
ergies were more largely concentrated
upon his business affairs although in no
duty of citizenship was he ever remiss. He
was watchful of opportunities for his
business advancement and for the general
progress as well, and his devotion to his
community made him' a representative
resident of this part of Iowa. L^nto Mr.
and J\Irs. Campbell were born ten chil-



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 28 of 85)