Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 56 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 56 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lege of Surgeons. The mother was a
daughter of the house of Fortheringham,
a family noted for its prominence in the
history of Scotland, the records of its
achievements being preserved in the an-
nals of that country. Dr. James Stuart
received most of his education in his na-
tive city, in Edinburgh College. After
receiving his collegiate degree, he began



studying natural chemistry, and the chem-
istry of the human body. From child-
hood he has had the natural power of heal-
ing, a power that he does not attempt to
explain, except through heredity. To sup-
plement this natural gift, he has studied
the therapeutics in the various branches,
investigating many different therapeutic
systems, and has in every way kept up
with the advance of science.

He came to America in 1875, locating
at Savannah, Georgia, where he remained
for tw^o years, after which he went to
New York City. He went to New York
to continue his studies, taking a degree in
the Worcester Institute of Science, of
New York. He w^as married in 1888 to
Miss Mary Elizabeth Jackson, at Chenoa,
Illinois. She was born in Ohio, w^here she
was reared and educated, and later resided
in Chenoa until her marriage.

Dr. Stuart came to Mount Pleasant in
1900, and has made this his home ever
since, his high character and manifest
ability commanding quick recognition and
a profitable practice. He continues his
researches, and was graduated on March
I, 1902, from the National School of Os-
teopathy, and during the same year w-as
also graduated from the Chicago School
of Psychology. His practice is not a pure-
ly local one, but although he has never
pushed himself into public notice, he is
well-known far around this section of
low^a.

Dr. Stuart is a prominent figure in fra-
ternal circles of Henry county, being a
member of the Masonic order, being in the
blue lodge, the chapter and council, and
also being a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, the Encampment



HENRY COUNTY, lOlVA.



475



and Canton Militant. In all matters of
public concern he has taken a constant in-
terest. In politics he prefers to act with
that increasingly important body of vot-
ers known as independents, and believing
that the best results may be obtained by
deciding each question of public policy on
its individual merits and not according to
partisan bias. His religious connection
is with the Christian church, of which he
and Mrs. Stuart are members, and he is
a liberal supporter of its work and a con-
tributor to its various charities. He has
a pleasant and attractive home, and his
genial, social nature has gained him warm
friendship, while his professional skill
and ability have placed him in the front
ranks of healers, whose influence over dis-
ease is becoming more fully recognized
every year.



LEMUEL P. GILSOX.

Lemuel P. Gilson was a contractor iden-
tified with building operations in Tippe-
canoe township and also conducted a saw-
mill. He made a creditable record in busi-
ness circles and his tangible efforts in be-
half of progress in community affairs
won him a place in the public regard that
caused his death to be deeply regretted
when he was called to his final rest. He
was born in Hartland, Vermont, July 21,
1827, a son of P. J. and Wealthy (Hub-
bard) Gilson. In his youth he attended
the common schools of the Green Moun-
tain state and afterward learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed in Ver-



mont until 1864, when he came to Iowa.
He afterward worked for some years as
a bridge builder on the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy Railroad, and he also fol-
lowed carpentering for a number of years
and conducted a sawmill. At all times he
was a busy, industrious man, and his un-
remitting toil formed the basis of a sub-
stantial success.

Mr. Gilson was engaged in railroad
work at the time of his marriage, which
was celebrated on the 26th of October,
1865, Miss Rebecca Brandon, becoming
his wife. She is a daughter of Thomas
Jefiferson and Elizabeth (Pfantz) Bran-
don, the former a native of Kentucky and
the latter of Iowa. Her paternal grand-
father was Samuel Brandon, who was
born in Indiana. Mrs. Gilson was the
second in order of birth in a family of
three daughters, and was born in Kos-
ciusko county, Indiana, on the 15th of Oc-
tober, 1845. Her education was acquired
in the common schools of her native state.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs.
Gilson began their domestic life in New
London, where for many years he worked
on the railroad and, as before stated, af-
terward turned his attention to building
operations and also conducted a sawmill.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Gilson were born
two children : Guy, who was born July
16, 1872, and is now conducting a saw-
mill at Rome; and Frank, who was born
December 15, 1881, and is associated with
his brother in the mill. In his political
views Mr. Gilson was a democrat, always
voting for the men and measures of the
party, but having no aspiration for office
for himself. He belonged to the Masonic
fraternity of Mount Pleasant, and was



4/6



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



an exemplary representative of the craft.
He was called to his final rest July 24,
1892. His wife has since resided in Rome
in the home which was erected hy her two
sons who built a comfortable residence of
eight rooms with a fine cellar underneath.
This is (ine of the most attractive dwell-
ings in the town.



JAAIES FERDINAND FORBES.

James Ferdinand Forbes was born in
Butler county, Ohio, April 12, 1824, a son
of Joseph and Hannah (Hazeltine) Forbes.
The father's birth occurred in New York
city, where he lived until twelve years of
asre, when he removed to the countrv. He
then resided upon a farm in the Empire
state until after his first marriage, when
he removed to Ohio, wdiere he carried on
general agricultural pursuits for thirty
years. At the time of the \\ar of 1812 he
started for the army but was not engaged
in any battle, for hostilities ceased soon
after he was mustered in. He became one
of the pioneer residents of Iowa, locating
in 1838 east of the present site of the asy-
lum in Mount Pleasant. In 1840 at a land
sale he purchased a claim from the gov-
ernment and upon this tract of land on
which not a furrow had been turned or an
improvement made he began his farm
work, in which he actively continued up to
the time of his death, which occurred in
1857. The mother of our subject died in
1865, at the age of sixty-five years. The
father was a consistent member of the
Methodist church in which he served as



deacon and class leader, while Mrs.
Forbes belonged to the Universalist
church. His political support was given
to the old-line Whig party in his early
life and upon its dissolution he became a
stanch republican. He sensed as school
director and as justice of the peace while
in Ohio. After coming to low^a he was
deeply interested in the work of pioneer
improvement and development and large-
ly aided in reclaiming this district for the
purposes of civilization. He w'as three
times married, having six children by
his first wife and two by his sec-
ond wife. His third wife bore the
maiden name of Hannah Hazeltine and
there were eight children by this marriage,
but James Ferdinand of this review is the
only one now living of the sixteen chil-
dren. Those of the third marriage were as
follows : Haines Forbes enlisted in the
regular army for service in the Mexican
war but only got as far as St. Louis wdien
he w^as mustered out on account of his
eyes. He was later at Fort Madison,
Iowa, where he boarded with the Knapp
family and thus met the lady who became
his wnfe. By profession he was a lawyer,
having prepared for the bar under the di-
rection of Hon. J. C. Hall. He became a
noted practitioner of Des Moines county
and one of the prominent and influential
citizens there. He married Miss Mary
Knapp, W'ho was the first w^hite child born
at Fort Madison, low^a, and she became
a beautiful woman. Her father was killed
by Hendershot in Davenport, low^a. Both
Mr. and Mrs. Haines Forbes are now de-
ceased and they left one child, Josie, who
is the w^ife of Joe \\'hitman. James F. is
the second of the family. Adeline died



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



A77



when tweh-e years of age. Joseph became
a resident of Kansas but his death oc-
curred in Iowa. Andrew \\'allace was
scalded to death in his early boyhood
when his parents were making cider.
Mary Elizabeth died in infancy. Char-
lotte became the wife of John Morehead,
a resident of Henry county and died leav-
ing five children, of whom two are now
deceased, while Mary, Hester and Carl
are living. The youngest child of the
family, a son, died in infancy.

James Ferdinand Forbes accjuired his
early education in the subscription schools
of Ohio and afterward attended the first
school in Henry county. It was held on
the Burlington road and the teacher was
Professor Samuel L. Howe, afterward the
founder of the Howe Institute at Mount
Pleasant. He conducted the school in the
second storv of his countrv home. When
his education was completed Mr. Forbes
gave his undivided attention to work upon
his father's farm. The journey westward
had been made b}^ wagon in 1838 and they
were three weeks upon the road. He be-
came familiar with all of the hardships
and experiences incident to pioneer life as
well as its pleasures and privileges and
assisted in the arduous task of developing
a new farm. In early life he also gave
singing lessons. He spent one winter in
Ohio following the removal of the familv
to Iowa, but most of his minority was
passed under the parental roof. On the
i8th of September, 185 1, ]\Ir. Forbes was
united in marriage to Miss Lucretia M.
Spearman, who was born in Illinois in
July, 1835, and at an early day removed
with her parents to Des Moines county.
Thev afterward came to Henrv countv



and Mr. Spearman followed the occupa-
tion of fanning throughout his remaining
days, his death occurring in the latter
part of the '40s. He was survived for
some time by his wife. Mrs. Spearman
opposed the marriage of her daughter, for
she was onlv seventeen vears of asre at
that time, so that she and Mr. Forbes
planned to elope and in company with
friends they drove one moonlight night to
Missouri, where they were married, after
which they returned to Mount Pleasant.
They began their domestic life upon his
father's farm and took care of his parents
until they were called to their final rest,
thus residing upon the old family home-
stead which his father purchased at the
land sales in 1840. Mr. Forbes resided on
that place until 1862, when he sold the
farm and later lived in the midst of forest
tracts, getting out timber. He owned fifty
acres of land on the creek, where he re-
sided until 1865. His attention was after-
ward given to general agricultural pur-
suits and he was recognized as an active
and progressive farmer, owning two hun-
dred and eighty acres in Centre township
on the river, until 1890, when he retired
from business cares and for a number of
years lived with one of his sons-in-law.
In 1900 he took up his abode in Mount
Pleasant and now occupies a pretty cot-
tage on Saunders Lane in the southwest-
ern part of the city.

Unto Mr. and ]\Irs. Forbes were bom
seven children, of whom six are living.
\\'infield Scott, living in South Dakota,
married Sidney Smith and they have five
children : Effie, Sylvia, Ruble, Ferdinand
and Paul. Mary Elizabeth became the
wife of J. E. IMcCormick and they had



478



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



four children, of whom two are living:
Lucretia and Ray. the former the wife of
Thomas McLaughlin, of Grand Forks,
British Columbia. After losing her first
husband Mrs. McCormick became the
wife of \V. E. Lewis and they reside near
Spokane. Washington. By the second
marriage there is one child, Mary E. Daw-
son Forbes, the third member of the fam-
ily, married Nettie Knox and resides upon
a ranch near Crawford, Nebraska. They
have two children : Lucretia and William
AIcKinley. James Harlan, who is engaged
in merchandising at Crawford, Nebraska,
married Miss Rachel Snyder and has four
children: Walter. Pauline. Raymand,
an infant. Hannah is the wife of William
L. Munger. who is engaged in the real-
estate business in Mount Pleasant and
they have five children : Walter E.. James,
Lumetta. Wilma and Harold. William T.
is enirasred in merchandising with his
brother in Crawford. Nebraska, and mar-
ried Miss Ida Drummond. They have
five children : Ruth. Helen, James. Cor-
nelius and an infant. All of the children
were educated in Henry county and were
students in Howe's Academy, except
Scott.

In December. 1890. Mr. Forbes was
called upon to mourn the loss of his wife,
who was a consistent member of the
Christian church and who had many warm
friends in the community where she re-
sided. On the 1 6th of July, 1900, Mr.
Forbes was again married, his second
union being with Mrs. Josephine Hoag-
land, nee Hinebaugh. who was born in
Mount Pleasant, July 24, 1867, and was
graduated from the high school of this
city on the 2d of June, 1887. She first



married Otis Hoagland, December i,
1 89 1, and they had one child, Ava Marie,
now a student in the Mount Pleasant
schools. Mrs. Forbes is a daughter of
Nicholas and Maria (Brown) Hinebaugh,
Her father was born on a farm near
Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, in 1832. and in 1853 came
to Iowa, settling iit the northern part of
Henry county, where he followed general
agricultural pursuits. He was a democrat,
stanch in support of the party but without
aspiration for office. He held member-
ship in the Methodist church and his wife
was reared in that faith. His death oc-
curred September 14. 1885, and his re-
mains were interred in Forest Home cem-
etery. Mrs. Hinebaugh was born Janu-
ary 15. 1836, near Dayton, Ohio, and by
her marriage became the mother of seven
children, of whom six are living. Mrs.
Hinebaugh also survives and resides in
Mount Pleasant near her daughter, Mrs.
Forbes. Her eldest son, Albert, married
Mrs. Minerva (Robins) Hoagland and
their home is in Boone, Iowa. Oliver
Fred, living in Chicago, married Miss
Maude Camark, who died, leaving three
children. Frank, of Omaha, Nebraska,
married Barbara Wolf and has two sons.
Josephine is now Mrs. Forbes. \\'illiam,
living in Omaha, Nebraska, married Miss
Addie Pucket, who died leaving three chil-
dren and he has since married Miss Myr-
tle Phillips, of Hastings, by whom he has
two children. Richard married Miss Re-
becca Eggers and has two children.

Mr. Forbes has always been a stalwart
republican, announcing firmly his advo-
cacy of the party and its principles. He
has served for manv vears as school di-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



479



rector but has never cared for office in
other Hnes. He early became a member
of the Christian church and assisted in
erecting the house of worship of that de-
nomination in Mount Pleasant. He owns
in this city an attractive home together
with other city property and he also has
two hundred acres of land in Center town-
ship, comprising one of the best farms in
Henry county. It is equipped with good
buildings, is well improved in all particu-
lars and now yields to him a good rental.
Mr. Forbes is an intelligent, enterprising
man, who has led an upright and indus-
trious life and who is familiar with pio-
neer experiences in this county, having
been brought to Henry county by his par-
ents in 1838, when Iowa was under terri-
ritorial rule. This district was largeh^
wild and unimproved and he has seen its
development from that condition to its
present advanced state of cultivation.



JOSEPH S. MATHEW.

Joseph S Mathew, now deceased, was
born in Washington county, Iowa, May
31, 1856, a son of William and Mary
Ann (Hall) Mathew, who were early set-
tlers of that county, going there prior to
their marriage, which was celebrated in
185 1. They were fanning' people, the fa-
ther devoting his energies to agricultural
pursuits up to the time of his death, which
occurred when his son Joseph was but
five years of age. The boy was reared by
his mother, with whom he remained up to



the time of his marriage, and in the public
schools of Henry county he acquired his
education. He early became familiar with
farm work and through much of his life
devoted his time and energies to the till-
ing of the soil.

It was on the 12th of January, 1852,
that ]\Ir. Mathew was married to Miss
Ada Jessup, whose birth occurred in Jef-
ferson township, Henry county, her par-
ents having settled in this part of the state
in pioneer days. (See sketch of Wil-
liam A. Jessup.)

Mrs. Mathew was provided with liberal
educational privileges, supplementing her
public-school course by two years' study
in Howe's Academy at Mount Pleasant.
At the time of their marriage Mr. and
Mrs. Mathew began their domestic life
upon the farm belonging to her parents
and there lived for fourteen years, after
which they removed to Wayland. In
1898 Mr. Mathew purchased a residence
in the town and he there engaged in deal-
ing in horses in connection with Mr.
Campbell, who is now sheriff of the coun-
ty. He continued in this business up to
the time of his demise, which was occa-
sioned by cancer of the stomach. He
passed away on the 22d of June, 1903,
and was laid to rest in Wayland cemetery,
since which time Mrs. Mathew has lived
with her sister Viola at the Jessup home
in Wayland. Mr. Mathew voted with the
republican party, kept well informed on
the questions and issues of the day, and
was interested in the success of the party
organization, but had no political aspira-
tions for himself. He held membership
with the Methodist Episcopal church and
his religious faith permeated his entire



48o



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



life, making him a man whom to know
was to respect and honor. He was reh-
able in all his business dealings, and both
Mr. Mathew and Mr. Jessup were men of
untarnished reputations, occupying an
enviable position in the regard of their
fellow citi;^ens.



DAVID S. NEFF.



David S. Nefif, who is carrying on gen-
eral farming in Jefferson township, was
born in Clark county, Iowa, February 20,
1858. His paternal grandparents were
David and Susan (Waitman) Neff, both
of whom were natives of Ohio. The fa-
ther, Henry Neff, was born in Montgom-
ery county, of that state, and was there
reared and educated. He was married in
Henry county, Iowa, to Miss Barbara
Shively, also a native of the Buckeye state.
He had come to Iowa in 1843 and Mrs.
Shively arrived about the same time. Af-
ter their marriage they took up their
abode in Henry county, where they resided
for five years, and then removed to Jef-
ferson county, where they owned a farm
upon which they lived for two years. On
selling out there they went to Clark county,
where they entered land from the govern-
ment. Not a furrow had been turned nor
an improvement made upon the phce, but
he at once began to develop and cultivate
the land and made his home thereon for
about ten years, during which time liis
labors wrought a transformation. In 1864
he disposed of his property in Clark



county and bought a farm in Jefferson
township, Heni-y county, whereon the
mother died in 1876. In 1878 the father
was again married, his second union being
with Harriet McClintock. In 1879 he
removed to Nebraska, and five years later
went to Missouri, where he spent eight
year. He then returned to Henry county,
where he died in 1903. He was a worthy
pioneer resident of Iowa, assisting in the
material development and improvement of
the various parts of the state in which he
lived and he always stood for good citi-
zenship and for substantial progress.

David S. Neff made his home with his
parents until twenty-one years of age and
during that period attended the public
schools and gained practical knowledge of
the best methods of farming, so that he
was well equipped to carry on agricul-
tural pursuits on his own account when
he started out upon an independent busi-
ness career. He was married on the 12th
of March, 1879, to Miss Margaret Kurtz,
who was born in Henry county, and was
educated in the common schools. Her par-
ents were Henry and Hannah (Pang-
born) Kurtz, early settlers of this county.
'Sir. and Mrs. Neff have become the par-
ents of twelve children, two of whom died.
Isaac and Flenry, who are residents of
Jefferson township ; Jesse, who is living
in Washington county ; Fred, Lillian,
William, Lydia, Annie, Frank, Bessie.
Eliza and Sadie, who are at home.

After his marriage David S. Neff re-
moved to Nebraska, settling in Pierce
county, where he secured three hundred
and twenty acres of wild land which he
improved. Five years later he disposed
of that property and returned to Henry



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



481



county, purchasing a farm of one hun-
flrecl and seven acres on section 7, Jeffer-
son township. Taking up his abode upon
that place which was partially improved
he has added to the property from time
to time until now within the boundaries
of the farm are comprised three hundred
and forty-three acres. Upon the place
is found a residence of thirteen rooms,
which was erected in 1895. It is built in
modern style of architecture and is sup-
plied with many of the modern improve-
ments and conveniences, so that the home
is a most comfortable and attractive one
and, moreover, a spirit of genuine hospi-
tality is there found. Mr. Neff carries on
general farming, raising the cereals best
adapted to soil and climate and he also
raises horses. Polled Angus cattle and
Duroc Jersey hogs. His success is not
due to any fortunate combination of cir-
cumstances but has resulted from close
application and persistent energy and upon
those qualities as a foundation he has
builded the superstructure of his prosper-
ity. Since 1885 he has been a trustee of
the United Brethren church, and his po-
litical affiliation is given to the Republican
party.



GUSTAVUS A. DANIELSON.

Gustavus A. Danielson, who since 1870
has resided upon the farm which is yet
his home, in Jackson township, is one of
the worthy citizens that Sweden has fur-
nished to Iowa, his Ijirth having occurred
in lonsherping, Esteryetland, Audlif, on



the 14th of September, 1841. His parents
were Daniel and Catherina (Peterson)
Swanson and the latter died in the year
1844. The father afterward married
again and with his second wife came to
America in 1861, making his way to Jef-
ferson county. He purchased a small
place near Salina and lived there until
1886, when both he and has second wife
died within a week, in April of that year.
Gustavus A. Danielson is indebted to
the public-school system of his native
country for the educational privileges he
enjoyed, but he had little opportunity for
attending school, as he began to work on
a farm when onlv eleven vears of as^e.
He ^^•as thus employed until 1858, when
he went to Stockholm and worked for a
building master, learning the mason's
trade. He spent five years in that way,
after which he entered the employ of a
grain commission merchant. \\\i\\ whom
he continued until 1867. In that year he
crossed the Atlantic to Xew York and
made an overland trip to Burlington,
Iowa, where he arrived in the month of
August. He then went to his father's
place, where he remained for six months
and at the end of that time began working
on the Union Pacific Railroad, spending
two years in that service in Nebraska,
Wyoming, and Utah. Later he returned
to Mount Pleasant, v.here he worked for
John Rhugarber and John \\'inters, and
when his labor had brought him sufiicient
capital he made investment in property,
purchasing eighty acres on section 9, Jack-
son township, Henry county, in 1870.
This was partially improved, with twenty-
fi^•e acres fenced and three acres broken.
He began the further cultivation and de-



482



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



velopment (if the place and his labors soon
wrought a marked transformation in its
appearance, for what was once wild land
was converted int^ productive fields and
brought forth rich harvests. His pros-
perity was indicated by the fact that in
1 89 1 he erected a frame residence of eight
rooms. He has also built a barn thirty-
six by forty feet, and numerous other
buildings and has added one hundred and
fifteen acres more to the original tract, so
that the farm now comprises one hundred
and ninety-five acres. Like most of tlie
Iowa soil, the land is rich and productive,
responding rapidly to the care and culti-



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 56 of 85)