Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 69 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 69 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and coming to America they became the man. He had no school privileges in
founders of this branch of the family in youth, but in the school of experience he
the new world. Their son, Walter Crew, has learned many practical and valuable
was born in Virginia, and having arrived lessons. He was about twenty-three years
at years of maturity was married in that of age at the time of the removal of the
state to Miss Sarah B. Rice, who was also family from Virginia to Iowa, and he re-
born in the Old Dominion, while her fa- mained with his parents until twenty-five
ther, William Rice, was likewise a native years of age, when he began earning his
of England. In the year 1849 Walter living by working as a farm hand in
Crew and his wife started for Iowa, mak- Henry county, being thus employed until
ing the journey by wagon in company 1854, when he turned his attention to
with their fourteen children, five sons and merchandising in Salem, forming a part-
nine daughters. Of this family W^illiam nership with his brother-in-law, Alfred
R. Crew was the fifth in order of birth, Sluyter. This relation was maintained
and he and the three youngest daughters until 1857, when they sold out and in
are the only one now living. The jour- 1859 ^'^^- Crew located on his father's
ney westward was made after the primi- farm, where he lived for two years. In
tive manner of the times. They traveled 1866 he purchased three hundred and
as far as they could by daylight and then forty acres of land on section 16, Salem
camped out along the roadside at night, township, and at once began to till his
Eventually the distance was covered, al- fields and improve the property, making
though it had taken weeks to accomplish his home there until April, 1897, when he
a journey which now would be made in sold out, not wishing to have the care of
less than two days. On reaching Salem so extensive a farm. He then purchased
township, Henry county, the father pur- forty acres of land on section 26, Salem
chased one hundred and forty-five acres township, and he now superintends this
of land near the town of Salem. Some place.

improvements had been made upon the Mr. Crew was first married on the loth

property and Mr. Crew began the further of February, 1852, his union being with

development and cultivation of the place. Caroline B. Richey, who was born in

New buildings were erected and he car- Pike county, Illinois, and was a daughter

ried on the work of the fields, which in of James and Nancy (Browning) Richey,

due course of time brought forth rich natives of Kentucky. Eight children were



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



58:



born of this marriage : Cordelia, now the
wife of D. S. Swan, of Cheyenne. Wyom-
ing; Leroy B., who is Hving in Crayton,
Nebraska; Eva E., the wife of Wihiam
B. Donaldson, a druggist residing in
Pierce, Nebraska; Edwin G., who makes
his home in Pierce county, Nebraska ; Lu-
ella H., wife of John H. Boyce, also of
Pierce county; Alfred S., of Alliance, Ne-
braska; Fannie F., the wife of D. A.
Hartley, of Salem township, Henry
county, Iowa; and Carrie, who died in
infancy. The wife and mother passed
away on the 3d of August, 1867. ^^r.
Crew was again married March 24, 1870,
on which date ]\Iary E. Smith became his
w^ife. She was born in Wayne county,
OhiO; a daughter of James and Mary
(Brown) Smith, who were natives of
Waynesville, Ohio. Two children, twins,
resulted from this marriage : Leonard F.,
who is now living in Kansas City, Kan-
sas; and \^'illiam R.. who died in infancy.
Mrs. Crew not only ably cared for her
own children, but also her stepchildren.
There was never any favor or partially
shown between them and she was indeed
a true and loyal mother. She died Decem-
ber 7, 1883. On the 2nd of April, 1896,
Mr. Crew wadded Alice M. Stansbury,
who was born in Lee county, Iowa, and
was educated in the common schools
there. She is a daughter of Daniel and
Margaret (McKeehan) Stansbury. The
mother died when the daughter was only
two years old and the father's death oc-
curred when Airs. Crew was a little
maiden of eight summers. There have
been no children born of this marriage,
but in 1898 Mr. and Mrs. Crew took a
bov to raise, Charles K. Cooksie, who



came to them from the Io\ya Children's
Home at Des Aloines and who was born
in July, 1885. Sarah Gilbert, born in Au-
gust, 1889, was taken b}' them from the
children's home at Ottumwa, Iowa, Jan-
uary 17, 1902, and Reese Irving, who
was born about 1899, came to them from
the Ottumwa home in August, 1905.
Since 1898 Mrs. Crew has been rais-
ing and dealing in Light Brahma chick-
ens, AA'hite Holland turkeys, white
guineas and Pekin ducks and also sells
eggs in season. She has shipped both
poultry and eggs to Montana in large
quantities and also to other western states
and the business is quite profitable and is
carried on extensively by her. Air.
Crew gives his personal supervision to
the improvement of the farm, although
now nearly eighty years of age. He
wasa birthright Friend, or Quaker, and
was reared in that faith, but since the 20th
of February, 1859. has been a member of
the Congregational church. On the or-
ganization of the Republican party he
became one of its stalwart advocates and
has since voted for its men and measures.
He has served altogether for eleven years
as county supervisor, acting in that office
from 1866 until 1869 inclusive, again
from 1 87 1 until 1873 and then after an
interval of one year from 1875 until 1878
inclusive. His capable public service is
indicated by the fact that he was so long
retained in the office and in all matters of
progressive citizenship in his community
his aid has been a valued factor and one
always to be relied on. He is now a ven-
erable citizen, respected and honored by
all. He can look back o^-er the past with-
out regret, for his has been an upright



586



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



life, prompted by good motives and actu-
acted by honorable and kindly relations
with his fellow men.



CLARK R. IBBOTSON.

Clark. R. Ibbotson is a representative
of a pioneer family of Iowa. His paternal
grandfather, George Ibbotson, was born
in England and became a resident of Des
Moines county, Iowa, in 1838. The work
of development and improvement had
scarcely been begun in this state, which
was still under the territorial rule of Wis-
consin. He wisely made extensive and
judicious investments in real estate.
becoming the owner of over one thousand
acres of land, some of which he entered
from the government. His labors were
devoted to the cultivation and improve-
ment of his property and he continued his
residence in Des Moines county up to the
time of his death, which occurred in 1894,
when he had reached the advanced age of
ninety-six years. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Riggs, and was a native
of Kentucky, survived him until 1904, and
died in Oklahoma at the age of eighty-
six years. He was classed with the early
citizens of Des Moines county and he
aided in its reclamation and early develop-
ment, planting the seeds of progress that
have borne rich fruit at a later date.

George Ibbotson, father of Clark R.
Ibbotson, was born upon the old farm
homestead in Des Moines county and
there resided until 1880, when he removed



to Louisa county, where he purchased
eighty acres of land, developing a farm
that continued to be his home until his
life's labors were ended in death. He
married Miss Mary O. Tucker, also a
native of Des Moines county, and a
daughter of John and Eleanor Tucker.
Mr. Ibbotson departed this life November
15, 1890, after which his widow contin-
ued to reside upon the old homestead in
Louisa county until 1903, when she sold
the property and removed to Bates county,
Missouri, where she is now living with
her second husband, William Reece, and
two of her daughters by her first marriage
reside with her.

Clark R. Ibbotson was born in Des
Moines county November 18, 1877, began
his education in the district schools there,
afterward attended the high school at
Columbus City, Iowa, and pursued a com-
mercial course in Elliott's Business Col-
lege in Burlington. He was thus well
equipped by thorough intellectual train-
ing for the duties and responsibilities of
business life and he obtained practical
knowledge of farm work through the
assistance which he rendered his father
during the period of his boyhood and
youth. He remained upon the home farm
until twenty-two years of age and then
began farming- on his own account, pur-
chasing seventy-seven acres of land situ-
ated a half mile north and a mile east of
Wayne, Iowa. A year later, however, he
sold that property and bought eighty
acres on section 36, Scott township, and
forty acres on section i, Canaan town-
ship. Removing to this place he has since
carried on general farming and he also
raises stock, having now duout eleven



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



587



head of horses, thirteen head of short-
horn cattle and about one hundred head
of Poland China hogs. His farm is well
improved, indicating in its neat and
thrifty appearance the careful supervision
of the owner.

On the 25th of December, 1900, Mr.
Ibbotson was united in marriage to Miss
Kate B. Werner, who was born in Henry
county, Iowa, a daughter of Fred and
Martha (Brombaugh) Werner, the for-
mer born in Odessa, Russia, and the latter
near Knoxville, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs.
Ibbotson have two children : Ruby, born
November 8, 1901, and Glenn, on the ist
of September, 1903. Fraternally Mr.
Ibbotson is connected with the Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows and politically
with the Republican party but the honors
and emoluments of office have had no
attraction for him, as his attention has
been given in undivided manner to his
business interests, which, being carefully
conducted, have advanced him far on the
highway of success.



ISAAC CHILD.



Isaac Child, who for many years was
identified with agricultural interests in
Henry county, was born in Plomstead
township, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, on
the 15th of December, 1799, and was a
representative of an old colonial family,
his ancestors having, come to America
when this country was still numbered
among the possessions of Great Britain.



His paternal grandfather was Isaac Child,
who on one occasion in the destruction of
his home by fire had his four children
burned to death. Later four other chil-
dren were added to the family and they
were named for those whom he had previ-
ously lost. This number included Jona-
than Child, father of our subject, who
was born in Pennsylvania and there mar-
ried Deborah Michener, a daughter of
John Michener.

Isaac Child acquired his education in
the subscription schools of his native
county, became a well informed man and
engaged in school teaching in Pennsyl-
vania through the winter months for nine
years in one district which speaks highly,
of his ability and the esteem in which
he was held as an educator. He
was married in December, 1833, to
Esther Price, who was born in Bucking-
ham township, Bucks county, Pennsyl-
vania, on the 13th of December, 1803, her
parents being James and Naomi (Pres-
ton) Price, the former a native of Penn-
sylvania and the latter of New Jersey.
Mr. and Mrs. Child while still residing in
Pennsylvania became the parents of five
children : Deborah, who was born in
May, 1834, died in 1865, when about
thirty-one years of age. Samuel Joseph
was born November 25, 1835. Homer
was born February 24, 1838. Phebe.
born December 12, 1839, became the wife
of Pizarro C. Arnold, who is now a
retired merchant residing in Cameron,
Missouri. A child who died in itifancy.
and James, born May 8, 1846, died in
Zolfo, Florida, in 1895. after having car-
ried on merchandising there for some
years.



588



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



In the year 1859 Isaac Child came with
his family to Iowa, making his way to
Salem. He lived in the town for one
year and then purchased one hundred
acres of land on section 15, Salem town-
ship, removing to the farm in the spring
of i860. There he carried on general
agricultural pursuits, placing his fields
under a high state of cultivation. In 1868
however, he was called upon to mourn
the loss of his wife, who died on the 20th
of April of that year. In May, 1869, Mr.
Child was again married, his second union
beins: with Mrs. Ellen Kimberlev, whom
he wedded in the month of May. She
was a native of Ohio and was the widow
of Amos Kimberley. ]\Ir. Child remained
a resident of Henry county until called
to his final rest on the 24th of May,
1882, his second wife having died in 1869.
He was reared in the faith of the Friends
church and always continued a belie\er in
its doctrines. His early political alle-
giance was given to the Whig party and
upon its dissolution he joined the ranks
of the new Republican party, with which
he continued to vote until called to his
final rest. He was never active as an
office seeker, preferring to do his public
duty as a pri\-ate citizen. During the
years of his residence in Henry county he
became widely known as a reliable busi-
ness man, who was loyal to the public
welfare and to all private trusts which
were reposed in him. In business he was
strictly honorable and when he was called
to his final rest Henry county mourned
the loss of one of its leading citizens.

It will be interesting in this connection
to note something of his children and
their history. His daughter, Deborah.



following the removal of the family to
Iowa, returned to Pennsylvania, wdiere
she engaged in teaching school from 1861
until the spring of 1865. She then came
again to this state, where her death
occurred in the fall of the same year.
James Child went to Colorado, where he
was superintendent of mines, continuing
there until the winter of J 885, when he
went to Florida, where he carried on mer-
chandising until his death in 1895. Phebe
was married January i, 1881, and resided
in Salem until the spring of 1888, her
husband, Pizarro C. Arnold, being en-
gaged in the hardware business in that
town. He then removed to Missouri and
they are yet living in that state. The rep-
resentatives of the family who now reside
in Henry county are Homer and Samuel
J., who are living upon their father's old
farm. Homer Child has traveled exten-
sively, having been in all the states of the
Alississippi valley and also in Manitoba,
Canada. They now carry on general
farming and also raise horses, cattle and
hogs and both branches of their business
are attended with a desirable measure of
success.



WILLIAM MOREHOUSE.

It has been said of William Frederick
Morehouse that "no man knew him but to
respect him" and a life record that was
characterized by all that was honorable
and straightforward in his relations with
his fellow men made him well worthy of
emulation among the representative citi-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



589



zens of Henry county. He was born in
Adams county, Illinois, on the 30th of
May, 1 84 1, a son of Josiah and Elizabeth
(Borholthaus) Morehouse, both of whom
were natives of the state of New York,
the father's birth having occurred near
New York city. They were reared, edu-
cated and married in the Empire state and
five years later, in 1840, they removed
westward to the Mississippi valley, set-
tling in Adamscounty. Illinois, where they
purchased a farm, residing thereon until
1855. In that year they came to Mount
Pleasant and soon afterward the father
made arrangements for the purchase of a
farm in Wayne township, where he car-
ried on general agricultural pursuits.

The subject of this review spent the
first fourteen years of his life in the
county of his nativity and in 1855 accom-
panied his parents to Henry county. He
lived at home until after the outbreak of
the Civil war, when he enlisted as a team-
ster, joining the Fifteenth Army Corps as
a member of the Second Division. He
thus served until the end of the war and
in that way did active aid for the Union
cause. Following his return home he
began work upon the father's farm in
Wayne township, where he lived for about
three years. He was then married on the
15th of January, 1867, to Miss Mary
Feldar, who was born in this county on
the 23d of January, 1846, and was edu-
cated in the public schools of Trenton,
Iowa. She is a daughter of Samuel and
Lucretia (Trout) Feldar, both of whom
were natiA-es of Westmoreland count}',
Pennsylvania, where they were reared,
educated and married. They came to
Henry county in pioneer times and aided



in subduing the wilderness and in extend-
ing the frontier. The year of their arri-
val was 1835 — a date at which little
improvement had been made, the work of
development and progress yet lying largely
in the future. Mr. Feldar purchased a
tract of land partially covered with tim-
ber and began to clear and improve the
farm. There were many Indians in the
neighborhood at the time and wildcats
and wolves were numerous, the latter
often makinsf the nisfht hideous with their



howling.



There were also large numbers



of deer and venison was a frequent dish
upon the table of the pioneer. Mr. Feldar
built a little log cabin, in which his family
then lived in true pioneer style. He also
built a stable of logs for the shelter of his
horse and with characteristic energy he
began to clear away the timber, break the
prairie and cultivate the soil until in the
course of time his farm had become a well
improved property and he annually gath-
ered good harvests from his fields. As
the years passed by he added more and
more of the improvements, indicating the
present agricultural development of the
country and he carried on his farm work
up to the time of his death, which
occurred on the ist of June, 1887. His
widow was not long separated from him.
for on the 2nd of August of the same year
she too passed away.

Subsequent to his marriage Mr. More-
house of this review purchasde eighty
acres of the old home place and as his
financial resources increased he added the
remainder of the property, thus becoming
the owner of two hundred and forty acres
of good land. He had a house and jother
buildings but he improved them all and



590 BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW

built more barns. He kept everything competence but also that good name
about his place in good repair and in all which is rather to be chosen than great
of his work he was practical and ener- riches,
getic. He set out a large orchard, con-
taining several hundred trees, including

apples," plums, cherries and peaches. He

also set out many shade trees about his

home, adding both to its value and attrac- AUGUST SWAN SON.

tive appearance. He carried on general

farming, raising the cereals best adapted As the name indicates, August Swan-

to soil and climate and he also gave con- son is of Swedish birth, having first

siderable attention to stock-raising. He opened his eyes to the light of day in the

raised about twelve calves per year and southern part of Sweden on the ist of

also bought and fed many head of cattle June, 1867. He was the second in order

and raised about a hundred hogs annually, of birth in a family of three sons and two

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Morehouse were daughters, whose parents were Swan and

born four children. Harry L., who was Hannah (Benson) Carlson. In his youth

born October 13, 1869, is now a civil he entered the common schools of his

engineer, residing in Salt Lake City, native country, where he remained as a

Utah. John F.. who was born in Decern- student until fourteen years of age. He

ber, 1873, now deceased, followed farm- then began reading for the ministry and

ing. Fred ^V., born July 10, 1877, and devoted six months to that work but

Herbert S., born June 23, 1884, are both believing that he preferred another voca-

at home and are carrying on the work of tion he secured a position as a farm hand

the farm. and was thus employed until 1892, when,

Mr. Morehouse continued the active at the age of twenty-five years, he deter-

work of the fields up to the time of his mined to seek his home and fortune in

death, which was occasioned by Bright's America, believing that he might enjoy

disease. He passed away May 25, 1898, better business opportunities in the new

and his remains were interred in Finley world. Accordingly he crossed the Atlan-

chapel cemetery in Jefferson township, tic and made his way direct to Olds, Iowa,

His political views were given to the where he arrived on the ist of December,

Republican party Ijut while he kept well 1892. He then began work as a farm

informed on the questions and issues of hand and was employed in that capacity

the day he never sought or desired ofiice for four years, on the expiration of which

but concentrated his energies upon his period he spent two years in operating a

business affairs and his life record proved farm, which he rented from Mrs. Woods-

what can be accomplished through earnest worth. On the ist of March, 1898, he

efifort and laudable ambition. He was came to the farm of John A. Lewis, com-

strictly fair in his dealings and thus he prising one hundred acres in Wayne

left his family not only a comfortable township and here he has successfully



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



591



engaged in general agricultural pursuits
and also in raising horses and cattle. He
likewise has forty-five head of Chester
White hogs on his place. In his business
interests he displays close application and
earnest purpose and he is meeting with
good success in his undertakings.

On the 27th of January, 1898, Mr.
Swanson was united in marriage to Miss
Anna W. Lewis, who was born in Jeffer-
son township, Henry county, a daughter
of John A. and Mary (Dangison) Lewis,
both of whom were natives of Sweden.
Mr. and Mrs. Swanson are members of
the Lutheran church and in his political
views he is a republican. He has never
had occasion to regret his determination
to seek a home in America, for he has
found here the opportunities he sought
and his laudable ambition and determina-
tion have enabled him to work his way
steadily upward to success.



ANDREW OLSON.

A large percentage of the citizens of
Henry county are of Swedish birth or
descent and their value as factors in com-
munity life has long since been proven.
Mr. Olson of this review is accounted one
of the leading and energetic agriculturists
of Wayne township, where he owns a
good farm of seventy acres situated on
section 21. He was born in Smolan,
Sweden, on the 21st of March, 185 1, a
son of Olaf and Fredericka (Anderson)
Olson, who were also natives of that



country. In the common schools the son
pursued his education until fifteen years
of age, after which he gave his attention
to general agricultural pursuits until
1876. That year witnessed his arrival in
Biggsville, Illinois, where he spent the
succeeding winter and in February, 1877,
he came to Swedesburg, Iowa, where he
secured employment as a farm hand. He
also worked with the construction gang
on the railroad for three months and when
from his earnings he had saved a capital
sufficient to justify his purchase of land
he became owner of seventy acres on sec-
tion 21, Wayne township, making the
purchase in 1880. There was an old house
upon the place in which he lived for ten
years, when he erected his present com-
modious and attractive residence, contain-
ing seven rooms. It is a frame dwelling
constructed in modern style of architec-
ture and is one of the comfortable farm
homes of the township. He has also
built a cattle shed, forty-eight by thirty
feet, a corn crib, twenty-four by twenty-
four feet, and has otherwise improved
the place. Everything about the farm is
neat and attractive in appearance, indicat-
ing his careful supervision and his prac-
tical methods.

On the 19th of May, 1897, Mr. Olson
was united in marriage to Miss Anna
Colson, who was born in Smolan, Sweden,
and came to Swedesburg. Iowa, in 1889.
She was employed at different times in
both Chicago and Davenport and she has
been to her husband a faithful companion
and helpmate on life's journey. Four
children have been born unto them :
Hester Alvera, who was born August 16,
1898; Mamie Victoria, April 8, 1900;



59^



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Carl Alfred Leonard, April 26, 1904; and
\\^esley Edwin Millin, born March 4,
1906. I\Ir. Olson is a member of the
Swedish Lutheran church and g•i^■es his
political allegiance to the Republican
party. His diligence has constituted the
basis of his success, which is as admirable
as it is gratifying. He came to America
empty-handed but he realized that in this



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 69 of 85)