Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 7 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 7 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


while liis arguments are based upon strong
logic and active reasoning, they are at the
same time presented ^^•ith a simplicity that
cannot fail to touch all of his hearers. For
six years Mr. Galer served as referee in
bankruptcy and he is now a memljer of the
board of education of Mount Pleasant,
filling the position for the second term.
Deeply interested in the cause of education,
his efforts have been a tangible factor in
improving the school system of the city
and to his labor is largely attributed the
revision of the hig'h school course and the
establishment of the kindergarten. He has
also used his influence for the erection
of two additions to school buildings of the
city. In addition to his law practice and
his public service he is a factor in the
business life of this portion of the state,
being the vice president of the Hillsboro
Savings Bank and the vice president of the
Mount Pleasant Telephone Companv.

On the 23d of March, 1887, Mr. Galer
was married to Miss Lola Goan, of Mount
Pleasant, a daughter of Andrew Goan, for
many }'ears a prominent resident of this
city. She was educated in the public
and high schools of Alount Pleasant and
for many years was a successful teacher
here and likewise president of the County
Teachers' Association. She has also gained
prominence and favorable comment in
eastern Iowa as an eloquent and effective



speaker, having delivered many addresses
at reunions of various kinds, and is today
perhaps one of the best knoAAii women
upon the public platform in this state. Mr.
and Mrs. Galer have one son, Paul B.,
who is a student in the Iowa Wesleyan
University of the class of 1909, having
completed preparator}' work which gained
him entrance into that institution. The
family home is a fine residence on East
Washington street and their social posi-
tion is among the most prominent of
Mount Pleasant's citizens. Fraternally Mr.
Galer is connected iwth the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, is chairman of its
board of trustees, and thus handles its
funds. Gifted by nature with strong, in-
tellectual endowments and cultivating his
latent talents and through the industry
and enterprise which he has brought to
bear in the practice of law and in his po-
litical work he stands today as a repre-
sentative citizen of Mount Pleasant, whose
influence has been far-reaching.



W. F. KOPP.



W. F. Kopp, who is an attorney by
profession, was born near Dodgeville, Des
Moines county, Iowa. June 20, 1869. He
is the son of John M. and Mary Kopp, and
is of German descent. His father was
a resident of Wisconsin when the Civil
war broke out, and served with one of
the regiments of that state. After the
war he remo^•ed to Iowa, and located on
a farm in Des Moines count^^ While a
younger man, he was an active repub-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



6i



lican, and at one time represented Des
Moines county in the state legislature. W.
F. Kopp, the son, received his preliminaiy
education in the district school, then at-
tended the Iowa Wesleyan University,
from Avhich he graduated in 1892, and in
1894 graduated from the law department
of the State University of Iowa. In the
fall of 1894 he was elected county at-
torney of Henry count}^ Iowa, and t\^"0
years later was re-elected. In 1898 he
was nominated for the state senate by the
republican party, but was defeated by a
factional fight against him. In 1906 he
was appointed postmaster of Mount Pleas-
ant by President Roose^^elt.

In the practice of the law he was for
a brief time associated with Judge \\\ S.
Withrow, before the latter went on the
bench. Subsequently he associated himself
with Judge L. G. Palmer and Hon. L. A.
Palmer. Judge Palmer has since died,
and Hon. L. A. Palmer has recently re-
moved to the state of Arkansas.

Mr. Kopp is a Mason, an Odd Fellow
and a member of the Beta Theta Pi college
fraternity.

On December 4, 1894, he was mairied
to Clara R. Bird, daughter of H. T. and
Florence Bird, of Mount Pleasant. She
graduated from the Iowa Wesleyan Uni-
versity in 1893. Both are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church.



PROF. J. W. EDWARDS, A. M.

Professor John William Edwards, oc-
cupying the chair of chemistry in the Iowa
Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant,



was born near Bloomingburg, Fayette
county, Ohio, in July, 1872, and is a son
of Charles W. and Harriet S. (Blanpied)
Edwards, the former a native of Cincin-
nati, Ohio. The paternal grandfather, J.
M. Edwards, was principal of the Flughes
high school at Cincinnati for twent\'-five
years and was widely recognized as a
leading representative of public instruction
in his state. Charles W. Edwards was
reared in Cincinnati, and after attending
the public schools spent three years as a
student in Ohio Wesleyan University at
Delaware, that state. He had previously
learned the machinist's trade, and after the
completion of his education he resumed
mechanical pursuits and made rapid ad-
vance in that department of labor. He
was with the Big Four railroad shops and
had charge of the brass department. He
was also offered the. position of master me-
chanic, but is now connected with the phy-
sical department of the Ohio Wesleyan
University in the capacity of mechanician.
His wife was a daughter of John Blanpied,
who was born in the Island Guernsey,
in the English Channel, of French parent-
age, and in early life was a sailor, but
later entered the Methodist Episcopal min-
istry and spent his last years in or near
Delaware, Ohio. Mrs. Edwards, mother
of our subject, is also yet living.

Professor Edwards, pursuing his early
education in the common schools of Fay-
ette county, Ohio, afterward attended the
hisfh school in Delaware and in 1888 en-
tered the university of that city, from
^^■hich he was graduated with the degree
of Bachelor of Science in 1895. In the
meantime he had spent two and a half
years as an instructor in chemistry in an-



62



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



other school, and from an early age he
has found special delight and interest in
this science. Following his graduation
he entered Tufts College of Massachusetts,
where he pursued a special course in chem-
istry and won the degree of Master of Arts
in 1897. He afterward spent one year as
instructor in. Ohio Wesleyan University
and in the fall of 1898 was offered and
accepted the chair of chemistry in the Iowa
Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant.
Here he has since remained and is re-
garded as one of the strong members of
the faculty, establishing the work of his
department upon a splendid basis, so that
the study of chemistry has become a mat-
ter of deep interest to the students, a large
number of whom pursue that branch of
science. In fact, his department is now
one of the most important of the uni\er-
sity. When Professor Edwards came to
Mount Pleasant he had charge of all the
scientific work, but has been given assist-
ant instructors and now concentrates his
attention upon the work connected with
the chair of chemistry and physics. He
is splendidly cjualified iov the position and
his labors have been of direct and perma-
nent benefit to the institution. He be-
longs to the American Chemical Associa-
tion and to the Iowa Academy of Sciences
and finds congenial companionship with
many of the noted scientists and educators
of the county, thus keeping in constant
touch with the advanced thought of the
present day.

On the 22(\ of March. 1900. Professor
Edwards was married to Miss Bertha T.
Thompson, a daughter of Edward Thomp-
son, of Delaware, Ohio. They are mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal church



and enjoy that social prominence which is
the recognition of genuine personal worth.
Professor Edwards was for nine years in
the postoffice at Delaware, Ohio, and
through this means, associated with teach-
ing, he was enabled to pursue his college
course. The latent strength of his char-
acter was thus manifest in his determina-
tion to acquire an education, and the same
persistency of pui-pose has marked all of
his work and contributed largely to his
success as an educator. Prominent in
Masonic circles, he was raised to the sub-
lime degree of a Master Alason in Dela-
ware, Ohio, and still retains his member-
ship in the lodge there. He is likewise
a member of Hemy Chapter, No. 8, at
Mount Pleasant, and Jerusalem Com-
mandery. No. 7, Knights Templar, of this
city. He served as high priest of the
chapter, which he also represented in the
grand chapter, and he is the present emi-
nent commander of the Knights Templar
and has been the grand senior warden of
the grand commandery. He has also at-
tained the thirty-second degree of the Scot-
tish rite, being a member of Zarepath Con-
sistory, No. 4, S. P. R. S., of Davenport.
That Professor Edwards is a man of schol-
arly attainments is a fact which has been
shadowed forth between the lines of this
review, but that he is not a recluse is
shown by his active work in the ^Masonic
fraternity, with the teachings and tenets
of which he is in hearty sympathy. He
maintains high ideals of citizenship as
well as in his chosen field of labor, and
Alount Pleasant numbers him among her
representative men. whose course reflects
credit upon the city and the university
with which he is connected.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA. 63

DAV^ID ]\IAUCH. Des Moines. AA'ith characteristic energ^^

he began the cultivation and development
David Mauch, who living in well earned of his place, which in course of time he
ease in Mount Pleasant after many years transformed into a fine farm. In 1870,
of active, honorable and successful connec- however, he traded this property for a
tion with agricultural interests, was bom grist mill at Polk City, fifteen miles from
in Wurtemberg. Germany, December 27, Des Moines and, entering into a partner-
1834, his parents being Adam and Bar- ship, conducted the mill under the firm
bara (Rapp) Mauch. Wurtemberg was the style of Mauch & Fiege. The venture
ancestral home of the family for many proved profitable from the beginning and
generations, and the father was a land- they erected a fine flouring mill at a cost
owner and fanner there. Both he and his of ten thousand dollars. It was the only
wife died in that country before the emi- one of its kind in the neighborhood and
gration of their son David to the new they had a liberal patronage, their product
world. The latter acquired a lil^eral edu- finding a ready sale on the market,
cation in the public schools of his native In 1875, having a chance to sell ad-
country and in the gy^nnasium. His fa- vantageously, Mr. Mauch did so and in-
ther died when the son was but four years vested in two hundred and forty acres of
old and after attaining sufficient age David farm land in Polk county, carrying on
Mauch took charge of the home farm, general agricultural pursuits and the stock
which he capaljly managed. His mother business, always keeping on hand fine
died in 1851 and in 1854 he crossed the grades of cattle, horses and hogs. Subse-
Atlantic to America, making his way to quently he made a purchase of one hun-
Delaware, Ohio, where he was employed dred and eighty-eight acres additional and
on a farm until he learned the language thus became the owner of four hundred
and manners of the people. He spent and twenty-eight acres of valuable and
se\-en years on one farm, working as a productive land which he cultivated suc-
laborer for a time and then renting the cessfully until he had become financially
place, which he successfully operated. He independent, when, wishing to retire from
married Miss Christina Sickinger on the the more active work of the farm and also
6th of Alarch, 1855. She was born in to give his children better educational fa-
Germany near his old home and tliey had cilities than were afforded by the district
been acquainted in the fatherland. They schools, he sold his property in 1882 and
continued to reside in Ohio until ^larch, in March, 1883, came to Mount Pleasant.
1 86 1, when they became residents of Polk For one month he resided upon a thirty-
county, Iowa, where Mr. ]\Iauch invested acre tract of land, which he purchased ad-
his savings in one hundred and sixty-two joining the city, but found that it was too
acres of land on which no improvements far out and moved nearer the center of
had been made except that seventy-three Mount Pleasant's population. However,
acres had l3een broken. There was no rail- he added to the original thirty-acre tract
road is this immediate vicinitv, not even in until he had a farm of one hundred and



64



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



twenty-five acres there, retaining posses-
sion of tliat property until 1904. -He also
bought a place of ten acres near Mount
Pleasant and on that tract resided until
1892, when he bought seven acres in the
city and built a fine residence which is
equipped with both gas and electric light
and is supplied with all modern improve-
ments. There is beautiful shrubbery and
fine trees upon the place, all of Mr.
Mauch's planting and his home is a lovely
and attractive residence Mr. Mauch,
having a mortgage on the electric light
plant with one or two others, took the
plant which was consolidated with the gas
plant, and is still a heavy stockholder in
the latter, but he has no active business
connection save the g^eneral supervision
which he gives to his investments.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mauch have been
born twelve children, but six have passed
away. Those still living are as follows :
Hannah is the wife of Alphonso Mason,
of Altoona, Polk county, Iowa, by whom
she has four children. Charles, who is
now retired after having had charge of his
fathers farm until 1904, married Lena
Koch, and has three children. Lydia,
who was a student in the German College,
is now at home. John Wesley, who like-
wise pursued his education in the college
here, is now a fanner of Polk county and
married Miss Edwards, by whom he has
five children. Edward D., who was like-
wise a college student in Mount Pleasant
and is now associated with a partner in
the ownership of a sawmill and lumber
business in ISIontana, married Gertrude
Cochran, of Polk county, and has three
children. Carrie, who was a student here
and a music teacher in the college, is now



the wife of Samuel Eitelgeorge, a minis-
ter of the German Methodist Episcopal
church, now located at Warsaw, Illinois,
and they have one child.

Mr. and Mrs. Mauch are members of the
German Methodist Episcopal church, in
which he is serving as steward and he has
also l^een trustee of the German College,
which is an independent institution work-
ing with the Iowa Wesleyan University,
for over twenty years. He has been promi-
nent in public affairs and while living in
Lincoln township, Podk county, served as
trustee for about ten years. Generous in
his contributions to church and benevolent
work, he gave the sum of one thousand
dollars to the endowment fund of German
College and donated five hundred dollars
toward the erection of the German church.
He has made many other generous gifts
and is a liberal supporter of all measures
for the public good. He came to America
with a capital of only six hundred dollars
as his share of his father's estate, and has
built up an independent fortune with
which to meet the wants and needs for
himself and family. His is an example
which any young man might profitably
follow, for in the active affairs of life he
has achieved prosperity and has simulta-
neously won an honored name, while his
life exemplifies the "dignity of labor."



WILLIAM DAVIS.

William Davis, of ]\Iount Pleasant, is
the owner of one of the largest and finest
farms in this section of Iowa, ha^'ing



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



65



seven hundred and fifty acres in one body,
and for many years he has been a lead-
ing stock-raiser of this section of the
state, his extensive and profitable business
interests bringing to him a large measure
of success. He was born in Newark,
Licking county, Ohio, on the 22d of June,
1824, and is a son of Zachariah and Eliza-
beth (Roberts) Davis. The father was a
wheelwright by trade, and after follow-
ing that pursuit for a time turned his at-
tention to the butchering business. His
last days were passed in Danville,
Illinois.

In the public schools of his native state
William Davis acquired his education,
and in 1846 started westward, locating
first in Attica, Indiana. He herded cattle
in Chicago in 1847, and was acquainted
with some of the pioneer residents of that
citv w^ho have since become famous for
their enterprise and wealth. ]\Ir. Davies
engaged in buying cattle, shipping at times
as many as a hundred head in a single
lot to Kentucky, and also making ship-
ments to New York. He was very suc-
cessful in that undertaking, and he also
handled hogs. He spent ten years in La-
fayette, Indiana, and then came to Iowa,
settling in Mount Pleasant, where.he built
a pork-packing house, thus establishing
one of the early successful industries of
the city. He also bought the farm for-
merly owned by the heirs of John Sample,
six miles west of the city, comprising
seven hundred and fifty acres of valuable
land, and on this farm Mr. Davis made his
home for many years and has made
most of the improvements. This he made
his home till 1900. although he had lived
in town during the winters to educate his



children prior to retiring. In 1900 he
bought a pleasant home opposite the See-
ley Memorial building, and has since lived
retired. This is largely a stock farm, al-
though he raises grain to some extent. It
is one of the large farms of the county,
all in one body, with only one road
through it, and with a railroad on the
northern boundary. He still owns this
place, but of recent years has rented the
land.

In 1854 Mr. Davis was married to Miss
Eliza Sample, a daughter of John and
Ann (Taylor) Sample, who came from
Randolph county, Indiana, being natives
of Ohio, to Augusta, Iowa, in 1839, and
after one summer removed to a farm he
bought in Tippecanoe township, and there
lived until eight of his family died of the
cholera, in 185 1. Miss Sample being left
with a number of orphan children of four
families, brothers and sisters, her brother
came from Indiana and took her back
with him. Those were hard days, she hav-
ing to bur}^ her own brother and undergo
many other heart-rending trials. The
marriage of ]Mr. and Mrs. Davis oc-
curred at Lafayette, Indiana. She came
to the middle west in 1839, locating north
of Skunk river. She is one of the oldest
settlers of the county, having resided here
for sixty-six years, and can remember
when the Indians were numerous, having
not yet left their old hunting grounds for
the reservations farther west. Wild game
was to be had in abundance and wild ani-
mals were numerous, and the homes of
the settlers were mostly built of logs. Mr.
and Mrs. Davis have but one child, Nina,
who was born in IMount Pleasant, and is
the widow of Robert Buchanan. She re-



66



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



sides in Denver, Colorado, and has four
children : Henry, Walter, Smith and
Robert Lloyd, all of whom are enterpris-
ing men of excellent business ability.

]Mr. Davis bought his present residence
in the fall of 1900. He has lived in
Mount Pleasant and vicinity for a half
centuiy, having begun the construction of
his pork house May i, 1856. This was
the first packing establishment west of
Burlington, and he recalls many changes,
not only in the county, but also in the
state. He was made a Mason in this
city, being a member of Henry Lodge
No. 55, Ancient Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, and is also a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. He voted
for ^^'illiam Henry Harrison in 1840, and
continued a supporter of the w4iig party
until its dissolution, when he joined the
ranks of the then recently organized re-
publican part}', of which he has since been
a stanch advocate. He is a pioneer of the
middle west, who bv the utilization and
improvement of business opportunities has
advanced from a humble financial condi-
tion to one of wealth and affluence.



Lydia (Herron) Weeks. His parents
were natives of North Carolina and in
1809 removed to Indiana wdien it was
still under territorial rule. The father
was a farmer by occupation but put aside
business cares in 18 12 in order to re-
spond to his country's call and aid in the
second war with England. He was orig-
inally a democrat in his political views
and afterward became a whig. Both he
and his wife supported the Friends
church and spent their last days in In-
diana, where they were laid to rest. In
their family were eight children, of whom
four are yet living : William, who re-
sides in Orange county, Indiana, at about



J '



NATHAN F. WEEKS.

Nathan F. Weeks, who is now living
retired in Salem after many years of ac-
tive connection with agricultural pur-
suits has passed the eighty-sixth mile-
stone on life's journey, having been born
in Orange county, Indiana, November 10,
1 819, in the pioneer home of Joseph and



the age of ninety-three years, has been
married three times, his first wife being
Dinah Williams, his second wife Martha
Collins and his third, Mrs. Leonard.
There are three living sons, one by each
wife. Edith Weeks became the wife of
Dickson Trimbell, who died many years
ago. His widow resides in Orange
county, Indiana, at the age of eighty-
eight years and has four children. Na-
than F. is the third of the surviving mem-
bers of the father's family. Joseph
Wrecks married Eunice Trueblood and
lives upon a part of the old homestead in
Orange county, Indiana.

Nathan F. Wrecks was reared and edu-
cated in the land of his nativity, pursu-
ing his studies in the district schools dur-
ing a brief winter season. Throughout
the remainder of the year he aided in the
work of the home farm and remained
with his father until twent3' - four years
of age. He then, on the 30th of May,
1844, wedded Miss Priscilla Jane Giles,
who was born December 4, 1826, a



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



67



daughter of Thomas and Lucy G. (Ha-
zelwood) Giles, both of whom were na-
tives of Kentucky and settled in Orange
county, Indiana, at a very early day. the
father sending as a soldier in the war of
181 2. He was a democrat in his political
views and both he and his \Mfe were
members of the Christian church. Their
last days were passed in Indiana, where
they, too, were laid to rest. Mrs. Weeks
was the last survivor of their family of
twelve children and was the eleventh in
order of birth. She passed away Feb-
ruary 6, 1904, her remains being interred
in the Salem cemetery. She had been a
member of the Congregational church
from 1853 and was a most estimable lady,
possessing many excellent traits of heart
and mind. She and her husband had trav-
eled life's journey together for more than
half a century and had celebrated their
golden wedding by a gathering of the old
soldiers and the Woman's Relief Corps
and also many friends. All of their chil-
dren were present on the occasion of their
sixtieth wedding anniversary which was
a rare and happy event long to be re-
membered but ere the close of the year
the wife and mother had been called to
her final rest.

Following their marriage Mr. and
Mrs. Weeks left their farm in Indiana
in 1849 and came to Henry county, Iowa,
taking up their abode in a log house upon
a farm in Salem. They afterward re-
moved to Lee county, where they resided
from about 1852 until 1864, when they
returned to Henry county and made their
home just opposite the city limits until
1 89 1. In that year Mr. Weeks took up
his abode at his present attractive home



on East Main street. He was a general
farmer throughout his entire business ca-
reer, carefully directed his labors so that
in tilling the fields he gathered good har-
vests. At the time of the Civil war he
responded to the country's call for aid,
enlisting in 1861 in the Third Iowa Cav-
alry with which he served until 1863,
when he was honorably discharged at St.
Louis, Missouri. He took part in no
battles but was on guard duty in north-
ern Missouri along the line of the Han-
nibal & St. Joe Railroad. In 1863 be-
cause of inflammation of the eyes he had
to return home and he has since been to-
tally blind. He is able, however, to per-
form many duties around his home and
he formerly worked upon the farm.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Weeks were born
seven children, of whom four are yet liv-
ing: Joseph, born in Orange county,
Indiana, April i, 1846, married Eliza-
beth Smith and died March 15, 1897, in
Kansas City, Missouri, his remains be-



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 7 of 85)