Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 74 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 74 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


children : George LeRoy, born in Salem,
Iowa, September 28, 1876, married Miss
Helen Zimmerman, and is a prominent
physician residing in Chicago. He pur-
sued a high school and collegiate course
in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and then pre-
pared for his profession in the Chicago
Homeopathic Medical College. Forest
Brown, born January 8, 1878, was educa-
ted in the public schools of Mount Pleas-
ant and is managing his father's meat
market at No. 310 Jefferson street. In
manner Mr. Brown is plain and unpre-
tentious but a gentleman of warm heart,
of honest purpose, kindly spirit and de-
voted to the welfare of his wife and chil-
dren. Moreover in his business career he
has made a creditable record, winning a
gratifying measure of prosperity.



MARTIN MASON.

Martin Mason, regarded as one of the
substantial farmers of Scott township,
whose success is attributable entirely to
his own efforts, is a native son of Henry
county, born December 24. 1861. His
parents were Martin and Elizabeth



624



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



(Young) Mason, both of whom were na-
tives of Perry county, Ohio, in which
state their marriage was celebrated. The
paternal grandfather, Jefferson Mason,
was also born in Ohio, a fact which indi-
cates that the great-grandparents must
have been residents of that state at an
early date. The year 1853 witnessed the
arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Mason,
Sr., in Henry county, and for three years
thereafter he rented land and then in-
vested his savings in a farm about a mile
south of Yarmouth, Des Moines county.
Taking up his abode on that property, his
attention was given to its further develop-
ment and improvement for many years,
and as time passed he prospered in his
undertakings. In October, 1902, he was
called upon to mourn the loss of his wife,
after which he removed to Yarmouth,
where he lived retired in the enjoyment of
a well earned rest until his own death, on
the 1 2th of September, 1903.

Martin Mason, whose name introduces
this review, was sent to the district schools
at the usual age and therein mastered the
branches of learning taught in such in-
stitutions. He received practical train-
ing in farm work under the direction of
his father, who was an energetic and
careful agriculturist and business man.
Upon the home farm he remained until
twenty-three years of age and then began
farming on his own account, renting land
in \\'ashington township, Des Moines
county, for five years. In June, 1890, he
purchased one hundred acres on section
34, Scott township, and has since made his
home here. At the time the property
came into his possession there was an old
house and stable upon the place. He has



since erected a fine residence containing
eleven rooms, also a large barn, forty by
fifty feet, for the shelter of horses, cattle
and hay. There are also good corn cribs
upon the place and he has surrounded the
entire farm wath "hog tight" fences. In
fact, his is one of the finest farms of the
county, supplied wath all modern equip-
ments and indicating in its splendid ap-
pearance the careful supervision of a prac-
tical and energetic owner.

On the 24th of January, 1886, Mr. Ma-
son was united in marriage to Miss Addie
Edmonds, who w'as born near Lone Tree,
Louisa county, and was educated in the
common schools there. Her father w^as
Giles Edmonds, an early resident of that
county. Mr. and Mrs. Mason have four
children : Bonnie, born December 4, 1887;
Earl, born July 18, 1889; Floyd, born
August 9, 1898; and Irene, born Feb-
ruary 9, 1903. ■ Mr. Mason and his wife
are highly esteemed in the community
where they reside and their present pleas-
ant and attractive home is justly noted
for its cordial hospitality. Mr. Mason
gives his political allegiance to the
Democracv.



JOHN FITZPATRICI



v.



John Fitzpatrick, one of the leading
farmers and stock-dealers of New London
township, was born in Burlington, low^a.
On the 1st of August, 1861, and is a son
of James and Margaret (O'Laughlin)
Fitzpatrick. During his infancy his par-
ents removed to the Clements farm and



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



62:



there he was reared, spending his boyhood
days in the work of the fields or in attend-
ing the pubHc schools. He acquired a good
practical education in this manner and was
reared to farm labor. He has always car-
ried on general agricultural pursuits save
for the last two years, when he has con-
centrated his energies almost entirely
upon stock feeding and shipping. He feeds
from four to six carloads of cattle each
year and is recognized as one of the lead-
ing representatives of this business in his
part of the county. He also feeds quite
a large number of hogs. He has one
hundred acres in the home farm and
about one hundred and eighty acres on
section 16. He likewise has another tract
of one hundred acres on section 21. He
has improved his farm according to mod-
ern ideas.

Mr. Fitzpatrick married Miss Margaret
IMcCormick, a daughter of Michael and
Margaret (Smith) McCormick. They
now have two children, Irma and Ros-
ella. The members of the household oc-
cupy an enviable position in social circles
and have many warm friends in the com-
munity. Mr. Fitzpatrick gives his political
allegiance to the Democratic party, believ-
ing firmly in its principles as most condu-
cive to good government. In 1900 he w'as
elected upon the party ticket as assessor
of his town and by re-election has been
continued in the office. He was also cen-
sus enumerator of his township in Janu-
ary. 1905. His religious faith is indicated
by his membership in the Catholic church.
His entire life has been passed in this
county and his fellow townsmen know
him as a busy, enterprising man. who has
worked persistently to acquire success.



realizing that labor is the basis of all
legitimate and honorable prosperity.



AUGUST TOTEMEIER.

August Totemeier has made all of the
improvements upon his farm in Canaan
township and the property is the visible
evidence of his life of well directed energy
and thrift. He is a native son of Des
Moines county, his parents being Anton
and Caroline (Fricke) Totemeier. both of
whom were natives of Germany. Coming
to the new world, they made their way
into the interior of the country, settling
in Des Moines county, where as the years
have passed the father has invested exten-
sively in land and now has large property
holdings. He still makes his home in that
county.

August Totemeier was reared to farm
labor and was educated in the common
schools. When twenty-one years of age
he began cultivating one of his father's
farms in Canaan township, Henry county,
and in 1891 his father gave to him eighty
acres of good and productive land on sec-
tion I. He has made all of the improve-
ments here, building a house of six rooms
and also building barns and other out-
buildings for the shelter of grain and
stock. He has the place well tiled and the
fields are now very productive, giving
promise of golden harvests. In addition
ti) cultivating the cereals which are best
raised here owing to the conditions of the
soil and climate he also raises cattle and



626



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



hoes and this adds materially to his
income.

In October, 1896, Ui: Totemeier was
joined in wedlock to Miss Ida Martin,
who was born in Henry county and is a
daughter of William and Mary (Bealer)
Martin. They have two children. Glenn
and Louise. Mr. Totemeier is a repub-
lican where national issues are involved
and is a Presbyterian in his religious be-
lief. He represents one of the old and
prominent families of this section of the
state, and he has personally displayed
sterling traits of character which class
him with the representative and valued
citizens of his community.



ALBERT MARTIN MEEKER.

Albert Martin Meeker, owning a well
improved farm in Scott township, is one
of Iowa's native sons, his birth having
occurred in Jefferson county on the 12th
of April, 1846. His paternal grandpar-
ents were Martin and Lydia (Harring-
ton) Meeker, both of whom were natives
of Ohio. Their son, Abner Louis Meeker,
was likewise born in the Buckeye state
and following his removal to the Missis-
sippi valley he was married in Missouri
in 1840 to Miss Electa. Nichols, who was
born in Ohio, and was a daughter of Mar-
tin Nichols. Following their marriage
they went to Jefferson county, Iowa, set-
tling on a farm, where they resided until
1864, when they removed to a farm near
Fairfield, where Mr. Meeker purchased



property. A few years later, however,
he sold that place and came to Henry
county, taking up his abode in Wayne
township, where he purchased a farm and
resided thereon up to the time of his death.
He always devoted his energies to agri-
cultural pursuits and in that way provided
for his family. He led a useful, busy, and
upright life, and all who know him enter-
tained for him regard because of his
sterling worth.

A common school student in Jefferson
county, Albert Martin Meeker thus ac-
quired the knowledge that prepared him
for the transaction of business and also
qualified him for the various duties of
life. He remained upon the home farm
with his father until twenty-seven years
of age, when, on the 19th of November,
1874, he united in marriage to Miss So-
phia Matilda Gillaspey.

Soon after his marriage Mr. Meeker
began farming on his own account in
W>yne township, purchasing forty acres
of land from his father and residing there-
on for ten }'ears, after which he then re-
moved to Scott township on section 20,
which w^as improved. Here he built a
two-story frame residence of ten rooms,
also a barn, thirty-two by forty-two feet,
good corn cribs and all the other equip-
ments needed upon a model farm. He
has tiled the entire place so that the land
is productive and the fields respond read-
ily to the care and cultivation which he
bestows upon them. He has also divided
the place by well kept fences of barbed
wire and has planted about five acres to
apple trees and also has cherry and peach
trees upon his place. He raises cattle,
horses, and hogs, and in fact, has a splen-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



627



did farm property, which yields many
products needed in home consumption and
also supplies him with sufficient for sale,
so that he is annually adding to his in-
come, and has already made a place
among the men of afiiuence in his com-
munity.



JACOB SCHLATTER.

Jacob Schlatter is the owner of a com-
paratively small but well improved farm
and is successfully managing his agricul-
tural interests as he raises crops and
stock. He v/as born in Washington coun-
ty, Iowa, on the 30th of January, 1861.
and is a son of Joseph and Lena (Christ-
ner) Schlatter, the former a native of
Alsace, France, and the latter of Ger-
many. Coming to America they estab-
lished their home in Iowa and in the pub-
lic schools of \\'ashington county Jacob
Schlatter of this review pursued his edu-
cation. He attended school during the
winter months and in the summer seasons
worked upon the farm, thus early gaining
practical knowledge of the best methods
of caring for the fields. On attaining his
majority he started out in life on his own
account, securing a farm of two hundred
and thirty acres in Washington county,
where he remained for three years, when
he sold that property and in 1888 came to
Henry county. For thirteen years he
rented land in Wayne township and then
bought sixty-seven and a half acres in
the same township, which was improved.



He has since given his attention to general
agricultural pursuits and to the raising of
cattle, horses, and hogs.

In March, 1887, Mr. Schlatter was
united in marriage to Miss Barbara Roth,
who was born in Lee county, Iowa, and
is a daughter of Joseph F. and Annie
(Schlatter) Roth. This union has been
blessed with five children, but the eldest,
Melinda, died at the age of one and a half
years. Those still living are, Catherine,
Clara, Eva, and Joseph.

Mr. Schlatter votes with the Republican
party and his religious faith is indicated
by his membership in the Mennonite
church.



ROBERTS PARKS DAVIDSON.

Roberts Parks Davidson is the owner
of a valuable farm of two hundred and
forty acres on section 23. Scott township.
It was here that he was born and he is
one of the typical native sons of the
county, alert and enterprising, watchful
of opportunities for his own business ad-
vancement and for the good of the com-
munity as well. His paternal grandpar-
ents were Judah and Mary (Parks) Da-
vidson, the former a native of Pennsyl-
vania and the latter of Kentucky. Their
son, James Thomas Davidson, was born
in Nicholas county, Kentucky, and when
he had reached adult age was married to
^liss Nancy Glenn, who was born in that
locality as were her parents, Moses Fer-
guson and Elizabeth (Cowan) Glenn.
After residing in Kentucky for a time



628



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



James T. Davidson came with his family
to Iowa in 1858 making the journey by
boat from Cincinnati to BurHngton,
whence he came to Henry county. Here
in connection with his brother, Robert P.
Davidson, lie purchased three hundred
and twenty acres of land. James T. Da-
vidson also bought eighty acres of land
on which a house had been built, to which
he afterward added and removing to that
place made his home theron until he had
reared his family of seven children, four
sons and three daughters. He was an
enterprising, industrious agriculturist,
whose labors were well directed and
proved resultant factors in winning for
him success, ^\^^en he had acquired a
handsome competence that rendered fur-
ther labor unnecessary he removed to
A\'infield in 1893 ^^'^^^ there continued to
make his home until his demise, which
occurred in July, 1902. His wife had
died while upon the home farm in 1889.
Mr. Davidson was the owner of seven
hundred and fifty acres of land at the
time of his death and thus left to his fam-
ily a valuable property and also an hon-
ored name, for in all business transactions
he was straightforward and reliable.

Follow^ing the death of the father the
property was divided among the children,
Robert P. Davidson retaining the old
home place. He has spent his entire life
upon this farm and in his youth he aided
in the labors of field and meadow when
not occupied wnth the duties of the school-
room. His early education was acquired
in the district schools and his more ad-
vanced knowledge was obtained in Cornell
College at Mount Vernon, Iowa. Through
the periods of vacation he worked in the



fields and he is now the owner of two hun-
dred and forty acres of valuable land on
section 23, Scott township which was well
improved when it came into his posses-
sion. The only interval in his life in which
he has not been associated with farm work
here was from 1884 until 1886, which he
spent with a surveying outfit in Texas.
He then returned and has since given his
undivided attention to farm labor and is
accounted one of the progressive, prac-
tical and prosperous agriculturists of his
community. He votes with the Democ-
racy, but has no aspiration for office, pre-
ferring to concentrate his energies upon
his farming interests.



WILLIAM FLEAGL-E.

AA'illiam Fleagie, who has resided in
Henry county since 1856, was born in
Carroll county, Maryland, June 3, 1835,
a son of Henry and Rebecca (Rudolph)
Fleagie, the former born September 7,
1802, and the latter October 7, 1806.
The paternal grandfather, John Fleagie,
served as a soldier of the Revolutionary
war, enlisting in 1777. He wedded Mar-
garet Hahn when both were natives of
Carroll county, Maryland, where also oc-
curred the birth of Jacob and Margaret
(Stuller) Rudolph, the maternal grand-
parents of our subject. Henry Fleagie re-
sided in Maryland until 1856, when he
came to Iowa, reaching Mount Pleasant
on the 13th of October, of that year. He
spent the succeeding w'inter in Jefferson



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



629



township, and in 1858 removed to Jeffer-
son county, Iowa, where he purchased one
hundred and eighty acres of partiaUy im-
proved land. There he made his home
until the death of his wife in the fall of
1870, after which he sold the farm and
lived with his son William for a year. On
the expiration of that period he married
Eliza Saffell and lived upon the farm of
his son William until his death in 1878.
William Fleagle acquired his early edu-
cation in the common schools of his na-
tive state and afterward attended the
academy at Uniontown, Maryland, also
the academy at Sandy Mound, ^Maryland,
and the Iowa Wesleyan University at
Mount Pleasant. He remained with his
parents until twnety-four years of age
and in 1856 came with them to Iowa. On
the 23d of August, 1859. he was united
in marriage to Miss Susan A. Smith, who
was born in Henry county on the 26th of
February, 1841, and is a daughter of
Jacob and Barbara (Waitman) Smith. It
was her father who entered from the gov-
ernment the land upon wdiich Mr. Fleagle
now- resides, becoming owner of the prop-
erty in 1837. It was raw and unculti-
vated tract and he made the first improve-
ments thereon. Following his marriage
Mr. Fleagle lived upon his father's farm
until the fall of i860, when he built a
house of his own in Jefferson township,
where he carried on farming until the
13th of August, 1862. On that date, in
response to the country's call for troops,
he offered his services and donned the blue
uniform as a member of Company B,
Twenty-fifth Iowa Infantry. The regiment
was assigned to the Mississippi Division
and later w^as attached to the Army of



the Tennessee. Mr. Fleagle participated
in a number of the principal engagements
of the war and was with Sherman on the
celebrated march to the sea. When the
w^ar was over and the country no longer
needed his aid he was mustered out at
Washington, D. C, June 6, 1865, and at
once returned to his home.

Mr. Fleagle then purchased ninety
acres of his father-in-law's farm and be-
gan improving the land. He has since
carried on general farming and in addi-
tion to the raising of the crops best
adapted to soil and climate he also raises
horses, cattle, hogs, and chickens and his
sales of stock each year materially increase
his income. His present house was erected
in 1876. In all of his farm work he is
energetic and determined, displaying the
unfaltering industry and business ca-
pacity wdiich always lead to success.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Feagle has been
born a daughter, Emma B., who was born
November 15, i860, and is now the wife
of G. W. Turney, who owns a farm ad-
joining her father's property. Mr. and
Mrs. Feagle are members of the Church
of God, in which he has served as elder
since 1875, and in the work of w'hich he
takes a deep interest, doing all in his
power to promote its growth and extend
its influence. He votes with the Repub-
lican party and has been honored with
several local offices. He served as jus-
tice of the peace and was county super-
visor from 1 89 1 until 1897. He holds
membership relations with the Grand
Army Post at Mount Pleasant and enjoys
meeting with his oUl army comrades
around the camp fires. He was a loyal
soldier, has been equally faithful in citi-



630



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



zenship in times of peace and under all
considerations is found loyal to truth and



right.



JAMES L. COBOURN.

From pioneer times to the present
James L. Cobourn has been a resident of
Henry county and moreover is entitled
to mention in this volume as a successful
business man and as a native son of the
county, for his birth occurred in Salem
township on the 23d of June, 1843. The
family was established in the east at an
early period in the colonization of the new
world, his grandparents. James and Eliza-
beth Cobourn having been natives of Dela-
ware. Their son, John Cobourn, was also
born in that state but in early life removed
to the middle west and was married in
Indiana near Richmond to Miss Ellen
Frame, who was born in Maryland and
accompanied her parents on their removal
to Indiana at a very early period in the
development of that portion of the coun-
try. Subsequently to their marriage Mr.
and Mrs. John Cobourn came to Salem
township, Henry county, Iowa. They
drove across the country in the winter,
crossing the Mississippi river on the ice.
1"he journey covered three weeks and on
reaching their destination they settled in
the town of Salem but after a short time
Mr. Cobourn purchased a tract of land
al)out three-quarters of a mile west of the
town. This was unimproved and he built
thereon a log cabin and began to clear and
cultivate the farm, residing there for



about five years. He then sold that prop-
erty and bought eighty acres of timber
land on section 6, Salem township. A log
house had already been built there and a
few acres had been cleared. Soon the
sound of the woodmen's ax was heard
in the forest and tree after tree fell be-
fore his sturdy strokes. As he cleared
away the brush and. grubbed up the stumps
the land was plowed and planted and in
due course of time brought forth rich
harvests. For a long period he carried
on general farming and stock-raising,
making his home upon that farm vmtil
1895, when he removed to Salem and
purchased his residence and four acres
of land, making his home there until his
death, which occurred on the 14th of Feb-
ruary, 1902, when he was eighty-seven
years of age. He had for a number of
years survived his wife, who died in Jan-
uary. 1891. In their family were two
sons and two daughters : James L. ; John,
who died at the age of three years ; Eliza-
beth, the wife of George Brumbaugh, of
Des Moines, Iowa ; and Iowa Susan, who
resides at the old home place in Salem.

James L. Cobourn spent his boyhood
days with his parents and ambitious to
secure an education he embraced every
oportunity for attending school. He pur-
sued his studies, however, only through
the winter months, for his services were
needed on the farm in the summer and
he had to go about four or five miles to
school. He early learned to correctly value
industry and perseverance, and it is these
qualities which have practically gained
for him his entire success.
• On the 1st of October, 1867, Mr. Co-
bourn was united in marriage to Miss



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



631



]\Iargaret Montgomery, who was born
December 15, 1846, in Knox county, Illi-
nois, a daughter of Zadok and Sarah Jane
(Church) Montgomery, the former born
in Madison county, Indiana, and the lat-
ter in Greenbrier county, Virginia. Her
paternal grandparents were James and
Elizabeth (Stevenson) Montgomery and
her maternal grandparents were Cyrus
and Margaret (Williams) Church, both
born in Greenbrier county, Virginia.

After his marriage Mr. Cobourn rented
a farm in Van Buren county, Iowa, and
three years later bought sixty acres in
Tippecanoe township, on section 31, all
in timber land. He had to cut a\\ay the
brush and timber in order to get logs and
also to clear a place whereon to erect the
house. He moved to this farm and be-
gan its improvement, cutting down and
hewing the trees and clearing away the
undergrowth. He bought ten acres of
timber on section 6, Salem township in
1894. Since he made his first purchase of
land he has resided continuously upon
the farm and has carried on general ag-
ricultural pursuits, gathering each year
good harvests as a reward for the care and
labor which he bestows upon his fields.
He also raises hogs, cattle and draft
horses and is counted one of the energetic
and enterprising business men of the com-
munity, whose prosperity is attrilnitable
entirely to his own labors.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cobourn were Ijorn
a daughter and son. Carrie Effie, born
December 23. 1873, is the wife of Alvy
Hammans, of Custer county, Oklahoma.
Leslie Verner, born January 23, 1883,
married Maud Jarmoe, of Kansas, and fol-
lows farming in Van Buren county. Iowa.



in the fall of 1905 ]\Ir. Cobourn erected a
comfortable new house upon his farm.
He votes with the Republican party which
he has supported since age gave to him the
right of franchise and he has also been
justice of the peace of Tippecanoe town-
ship. He relates many interesting inci-
dents of pioneer days and of the condi-
tions which existed at that time. He said
that when he was a boy it was no uncom-
mon thing to kill about a dozen rattle-
snakes in a day. He has seen droves of
deer and large flocks of wild turkeys and
pigeons and various kinds of wild animals
such as lived originally in this section of



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 74 of 85)