Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 76 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 76 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He was married to Miss Polly Clarke,
who was born May 10, 1822, in Fayette
county, Ohio, and spent her girlhood days
there, giving her hand in marriage to Mr.
Ryun in July, 1840. She still survives
her husband, and now at the advanced age
of eighty-three years is able to sew and
read. She also attends the services of the
Methodist church, of which she has been
a member since thirteen years of age. She
makes her home with her daughter, iMrs.
Dawson. In the family were ten children,
all of whom reached adult age, namely:
Sarah, the wife of Daniel Williams, a
resident of Republican City, Nebraska;
Benjamin F., who married Elizabeth
Cook, and is also living in Republican
City; David C, who wedded Susanna
Hidee, and resides at Cravotte, Arkansas ;
Polly A., the wife of Jacob Burley, of
Missouri; Nancy J., who became the wife
of James Cook, and died about twelve
years ago; Elvira, the wife of William
Dawson, died in 1877; Amos L., who
married Miss Livingston, and resides at
Republican City, Nebraska; W. H., of
this review; Lenora Dean, the wife of
Silas Burley, of Wayne county, Iowa;
and Ida, the wife of William Dawson, of
i\lount Pleasant, Iowa, who was formerly
the husband of her sister, Elvira.

Dr. Rvun acquired his education in the
public schools of his native county, and
through tlie summer months assisted in
the work of his father's farm, whereon he
remained until twenty-one years of age.



640



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Before leaving the farm he had become in-
terested in the subject of the cure of can-
cer, and had carried forward his investiga-
tions to a considerable extent along that
line. He became imbued w ith a strong de-
sire to alle\-iate the suffering caused from
this trouble, and even before he left the
farm he began renio\'ing cancers by means
of outward applications. After leaving the
parental roof he practiced in Wayne coun-
ty for eight }-ears, and then went to Ne-
Ijraska, where he remained for eig'hteen
months. In 1890 he located at No. 506
Clay street, Mount Pleasant, in the old
Leonard Farr home, where he made many
improvements and additions, transforming
it into a beautiful residence and hospital.

November 1. 1905, however, he re-
moved to Burlington, Iowa, and located
at 213 Polk street, on Prospect Hill, in
order that he might have a more central
location and be more easily reached by his
many patients coming from a distance.
Also, in order to accommodate those from
the South and \\'est. he has opened a
branch office in St. Louis, where he spends
a part of his time.

Throughout all these years Dr. Ryun
has carried for\\ard his studies concern-
ing cancerous growths and their cure, and
has gained that knowledge and under-
standing which always rewards patient,
persevering effort. His labors have been
attended with gratifying success when
viewed from a professional standpoint,
and his services have been sought by peo-
ple from all sections of the country, a fact
which indicates that his fame has spread
as the result of the remarkable cures that
he has effected.

October 15, 1884. ^i'- Ryun was mar-



ried to Miss Rosa Hoaglin, a daughter
of John, Jr., and Caroline (Webb) Hoag-
lin. She was born November i, 1865, in
Salina, Jefferson county, Iowa. Her fa-
ther, a native of New York city, was
born Januaiy i, 1808, and was a son of
John Hoaglin, a ship builder of the east-
ern metropolis. John Hoaglin. Jr., how-
age, after which he was bound out. He
left the east, however, when seventeen
years of age, and eventually became a
merchant n St. Louis, Missouri, and after-
ward in Salina, Iowa, where he remained
for thirty-six years. He then took up his
abode in Fairfield, where he was also iden-
tified with business pursuits, but he is now
living retired in Mount Pleasant, at the
present time making his home with Mrs.
Ryun. at the advanced age of ninety-six
3^ears. He has led an earnest Christian
life, holding membership originally with
ever, was left an orphan at a very early
the Methodist and later with the Congre-
gational church. His political allegiance
is given to the democracy. He is un-
doubtedly one of the oldest men of the
county, and is still hale and hearty, al-
though for the past six years he has been
blind.

Mrs. Hoaglin died in 1895, at the age
of sixty-three years. She was a native of
Nashville, Tennessee, born in 1832. and
by her marriage had a family of thirteen
children, eight of whom are yet living : G.
S.. who married Miss Minnie McCosh,
and resides in Oregon; A. B.. who wedded
Miss Anna Hildebrand, by whom he has
three sons, their home being in Idaho; J.
L.. who married Miss Lizzie McDorman,
and resides in Mount Pleasant, Iowa; H.
A., of Salt Lake, Utah, who married Miss



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



641



Anna Snook, and has two children; C. F.,
who wedded Miss MeHssa Boley, ]jy
whom he has eight children, and makes
his home at Hillsboro. Henry county,
Iowa; Mrs. Ryun ; Delia, the wife of Wil-
liam Swaine, of Lucas, Iowa, by whom
she has three children; and Rosa, the wife
of W'illiam H. Ryun, a resident of
Burlington.

Dr. and Mrs. Ryun have had one child,
Lester, who was born September 26, 1885,
but lived for only six weeks. They now
have an adopted son, Merrill, seven vears
of age, who has been with them since early
infancy. The Doctor is a stanch prohi-
bitionist in his political affiliation, being
in hearty sympathy with the temperance
cause ; and fraternally he is connected with
the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
His life has been devoted to his profes-
sion, and he has had a wonderful practice,
in which he has been very successful, his
patients coming to him from all parts of
this countr}' and Canada. He is a gen-
tleman of pleasant disposition and genial
manner, of upright life and genuine per-
sonal worth. Both he and his wife possess
scholarly tastes, devoting much time to
reading, and a retentive memory enables
them to assimilate what they read, thus
broadening their knowledge and enrich-
ing their conversation.



WEBSTER M. PIXLEY.

Dr. Webster M. Pixley, a cancer spe-
cialist, whose treatment of the disease has
resulted beneficially to many, makes his
home at No. 401 South Jefferson street,



Mount Pleasant. He is a native son of
this city, born on the 9th of January,
1845, His father, Benjamin F. Pixley,
was born in Washington county, Ohio,
near Marietta, on the 12th of December,
1 8 10, and was a wagon and carriage-
maker, learning the trade in ^Marietta and
following that pursuit until he came to
Iowa in 1842. He made the long trip in
a democrat wagon, crossing the river at
Burlington, and his first acquaintance in
this state was "Old Dick Noble." Mr.
Pixley left his family in Ohio until he had
made arrangements for a home in this
state. He came direct to Heniy county
and established a wagon shop in Mount
Pleasant, but employed others to carr}- on
this business, while he found a profitable
income from his instructions as a dancing
master, giving lessons each week in Mus-
catine, Burlington and Mount Pleasant,
making his trips overland from town to
town. While in his native state he was
married December 25, 1834, to Miss Lydia
B. Connor, who was born at Belpre, Ohio,
November 8, 18 12. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Pixley were devoted members of the Uni-
versalist church, in which he held office.
He was a charter member of Mystic
Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, at Mount Pleasant and was an earn-
est republican, but though often solicited
to accept office he would never consent to
do so. He was extremely matter of fact,
was thoroughly reliable, met every obliga-
tion in a conscientious manner, and his
word was as good as his bond. The fam-
ily home was maintained west of the public
square in Mount Pleasant until about 1864,
at which time the district was known as
"Texas," because it was so sparsely set-



642



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



tied and all was a new country. He lived
to witness the introduction of and to enjoy
many of the improvements and conve-
niences known to modern times and
throughout the community in which he re-
sided he ^^•as honored and respected for
his genuine worth and to his family he
left an untarnished name. He died De-
cember 12, 1884, on the seventy-fourth an-
niversary of his birth. His wife was
reared to womanhood in the place of her
nativity and there her marriage was cele-
brated and after her husband had made
preparations for a home in Henry county
she and her children joined 3.1r. Pixley in
Mount Pleasant in 1843. For more than
forty -five years she remained a resident of
this city, passing away July 10, 1889. Her
remains were interred beside her hus-
band's in the old cemetery in Mount Pleas-
ant. She was a lady of strong domestic
tastes, a home-loving woman and was a
general favorite with all with whom she
came in contact. Unto ]\Ir. and Mrs. Pix-
ley were born eleven children, of whom
six are now living: Theodore S., who
married Miss Almyra Parker and resides
in Winfield. Kansas; Frances, who is the
widow of J. S. Linell and resides at
Oquawka, Illinois; Waldo B., who mar-
ried Augusta LuCrode and lives in Scam-
mon, Kansas; Webster M., of this review;
George W., of Ottumwa, Iowa, who mar-
ried Addie Willeford, now deceased; and
Zella F., who married Hannah Lomer, of
Keokuk, Iowa, and is a resident of Ot-
tumwa, this state. Lucinda H., the second
member of the family, died July 18, 1865.
She was the wife of D. Z. Frick, and had
one child, Cora. The other children of the
father's family died in infancy.



W. AI. Pixley pursued his education
in the public schools of Mount Pleasant
and when not occupied with the duties of
the schoolroom spent his time largely
around his father's shop. He had just
begun working at the wagonmaker's trade
when he entered the army, in 1862, enlist-
ing as a member of Company F, Seven-
teenth Iowa Regiment of Veteran Vol-
unteers. He served throughout the war
and was a prisoner for seven and a half
months, being confined in several different
prisons. He took part in the battles of
luka. Corinth, Jackson, Champion Hills
and the siege of Vicksburg, and afterward
was transferred to Chattanooga and took
part in the engagements at Tunnel Hill
and Missionary Ridge. He was honor-
ably discharged at Davenport. Iowa. His
mind is full of reminiscences of the war,
for his regiment was in very active duty
and he had ample opportunity to know of
the movement of the armies and the
e\'ents which constitute that great chap-
ter in American history. His regiment was
greatly depleted through the ravages of
war, and in fact, was so reduced in num-
bers that it was declared unfit for field
service and was sent to Tilton. Georgia,
where its members were assigned to the
duty of guarding a railroad. There the
entire command was captured, as before
stated, and Mr. Pixley. with others,
was sent to a prison in Georgia. His
brothers, Theodore and Waldo, w-ere also
soldiers, the latter responding to the first
call and serving with the First Iowa
Infanti-y until discharged, when he re-
enlisted in the Tenth Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, of which his brother Theodore
was also a member.



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



643



When the war was over Mr. Pixley re-
turned to Henry county and resumed work
at the wagonmaker's trade. He had en-
tered the arniy when quite young, having
to obtain his father's consent l:iefore he
would be accepted, but no more brave or
loyal soldier was found upon the battle-
fields of the south. After a brief period
spent in the north he returned to Colum-
bus, Georgia, where he wedded a lady whom
he had met while held there as a prisoner
of war. The wedding was celebrated in
1866, Miss Emma Faulkenberry becom-
ing his wife. She was born in Columbus,
Georgia, in 1848, a daughter of William
and Sarah (Tarver) Faulkenberr}^, both
of whom were natives of the south, ana
never came to the north, the father passing
away about 1887, and the mother in 1893.
There were six children of this union, of
whom two are living : William, a resident
of Birmingham, Alabama ; and Mrs. Nora
Temple, of Girard, Alabama.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Pixley were born
five children, of whom three are living.
Georgia Alberta, who was born December
20, 1872, in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, mar-
ried Frank Clawsen, of New London, this
state, and has two children, Emma and
Laura. Sarah Lydia, born October 17,
1874, in Girard, Alabama, is the wife of
Luke Yakle and they live in Mount Pleas-
ant with her father. They have four chil-
dren: Mary, Webster, Carrie and Fred-
erick. Benjamin W., born November 15,
1876, in Lakeview, Michigan, resides in
southern Illinois. Emma, bom June 20,
1879, i'^ Lakeview, Michigan, died Febru-
ary 16, 1 88 1. Mrs. Pixley passed away
December 24, 1880, and both she and her
youngest child were laid to rest at Lake-



view, Montcalm county, Michigan. She
was a lady of many excellent traits of
character and was held in high esteem by
all who knew her. Their first child,
Franklin Theodore, was born January 10,
1867, and died February 10, 1867, in Co-
lumbus, Georgia.

On the 1 2th of February, 1882, in
Lakeview, Michigan, Mr. Pixley was
again married, his second union being with
Miss Caroline E. Long, who was born in
LaGrange, Ohio, September 17, 1848, and
was a daughter of William and Mary
(Branden) Long. Her father was born
in Steubenville, Jefferson county. Ohio,
March 29, 181 5, and her mother's birth
occurred in Armstrong county, Pennsyl-
vania, September 15, 182 1. Mr. Long
was a chainmaker in a blacksmith shop.
He gave his political support to the Whig
and Republican parties, and he led a busy,
useful and active life. He died Septem-
ber 12, 1849, ^^ LaGrange, Ohio, and was
there laid to rest and the mother passed
away in Alleghany City, Pennsylvania,
and her remains were interred in Pitts-
burg, Pennsylvania. There were four
children in their family but all are now
deceased save Mrs. Pixley. Her sister.
Lavina, became the wife of George Fra-
zier, now deceased, and her death occurred
July 15, 1877. They had two children.
Her brother, William H. Long, died at the
old homestead, June 6, 1865. He married
Sarah Caskey, who is also deceased, and
they had two children. Following the
death of the first husband, Mrs. Long be-
came the wife of Jesse Hildebrand and
removed to Alleghany City, Pennsylvania.
They had four children: Luretta. living
in Cleveland, Ohio; Sadie, the wife of



644



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Grant Fish, of Steubenville, Ohio; Law-
rence H., deceased, who married Sally Mc-
Alwain, now a resident of Pennsylvania;
and Alary Adella, who died April 25,
1874, at the age of sixteen years. Their
father, Mr. Hildebrand, was in the Civil
war, serving in the One Hundred and
Twenty-third Regiment of Pennsylvania
Volunteers under Colonel J. B. Clark. He
held the rank of first lieutenant and his
stepson, AVilliam H-. Long, was in the same
regiment, being in the ser^'ice for ninety
days, after which he was honorably dis-
charged. Airs. Pixley had several cousins
who entered the war from Virginia and
also several uncles and her Grandfather
Branden was a soldier of the war of 181 2.
By the second marriage of Mr. Pixley
three children were bom. Pearl, born Au-
gust 25, 1885, in Alount Pleasant, died
in the same room in which her birth oc-
curred. June 15, 1902, at the age of six-
teen years, nine months and twenty days.
In the spring of .1896 she was converted
and united with the First Baptist church,
of which her mother is a member. She was
very apt in her studies and had completed
the stenographic course at Mount Pleas-
ant Academy, from which she would have
been graduated on the 6th of June, had it
not been for her fatal illness. The gradu-
ating dress had been prepared and in it
she was laid to rest. She possessed a beau-
tiful mezzo soprano voice which was a
great delight to her family and friends.
Shortly before her death she sang for her
father one of his favorite songs and just
about as the spirit took its flight she softly
sang, "Jesus is Tenderly Calling Me
Home." Hers was a beautiful Christian
character and a kindly spirit shone forth



in her face that had a charm for all with
whom she came in contact. Nellie F. Pix-
ley, the second child of the second mar-
riage, was born June 7, 1888, in Mount
Pleasant, was graduated from Howe's
Academy in 1905, and is now employed as
a stenographer by a law fimi in Ames,
Iowa. Webster, born July 16, 1890, died
on the 30th of September of the same year.
Soon after his first marriage Mr. Pix-
ley took up his abode in Columbus,
Georgia, and worked for a while at the
wagonmaker's trade, but afterward re-
moved to Mount Pleasant. Later he re-
turned to Columbus, but his health failed
and his physician advised him to again go
to the north, at which time he settled in
Lakeview, Michigan, where he was en-
gaged in business for a wdiile with his
brother and afterward conducted an in-
dependent wagon and carriage factory.
Following the death of his first wife he
returned to Mount Pleasant and took care
of his aged father, who had suffered a
stroke of paralysis and with whom he re-
mained until the father's death, working
during that time at the wagonmaker's
trade. Later he embarked in the imple-
ment business and in connection with his
mercantile efforts conducted a blacksmith
and carriage shop until about 1890. For
years he had been deeply interested in the
cure of cancer and w'as studying along that
line and at length, feeling that he .had per-
fected a cure, he gave up other business
interests in 1890 and has since devoted his
attention to the treatment of this disease, in
which he has been veiy successful, patients
now coming to him from all parts of the
United States. He regards his cures as his
best testimonial and his patronage is con-



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



645



stantly increasing. His residence is at No.
401 South Jefferson street, where he has
a fine hospital located on the old family
homestead which he enlarged and rehuilt
about five years ago, where he has room
for ten or more patients, and where he
has a good patronage.

From the age of sixteen years he has de-
pended entirely upon his own labors and
is indeed a self-made man, who, working
his way steadily upward, is now com-
fortably situated in life. In politics he is
a stalwart republican and has served as
school director and constable and was also
city wharf master in Columbus. Georgia.
He has been an Odd Fellow from the age
of twenty-one years, passing all the chairs
in the subordinate lodge and encampment
and acting as secretary for a long period.
He is also a member of the Grand Army
of the Republic. In the community where
he resides he is held in high esteem, is
recognized as a man of unfaltering integ-
rity, faithful to all the obligations of life
and to his family he is most devoted.



JOHN TAYLOR.

John Taylor, who owns and operates
two hundred twenty acres of land in Sa-
lem township, has spent his entire life in
this state and the student of history does
not have to carry his investigations far
into the county annals without learning
of the close and honoral)le connection of
the Taylor family with the agricultural



development of this section of the state. It
was in 1836 that his parents, Oliver Perry
and Cordilla (Elder) Taylor, took up
their abode in Lee county. Both were na-
tives of Pennsylvania, the father having
been born in McKeesport. Emigrating
w^estward they took up their abode upon
a farm in Jackson township, Lee county,
where Mr. Taylor carried on general ag-
ricultural pursuits on rented land for
many years. He then removed to Van
Buren county, where he rented a farm for
four years, and in 1861 he came to Henry,
county, settling in Salem township, where
he carried on general agricultural pur-
suits until the fall of 1902, when he re-
moved to Mount Pleasant, where he died
May 23, 1906, having for seventy years
made his home in this part of the state.
His wife died in 1881.

John Taylor was the sixth in order of
birth in a family of eight children, all of
whom are now deceased with the excep-
tion of his eldest brother and his youngest
sister. There were five sons and three
daughters. John Taylor was reared in
the usual manner of farm lads, working
in the fields and meadows when not
occupied with the duties of the school-
room. He resided with his parents until
he reached the age of twenty-eight years
and was then married on the 13th of Sep-
tember, 1877, to Miss Susan Josephine
Barnes, who was born in Salem town-
ship, Henry county, December 18, 1853.
a daughter of Noah and Rosanna (Too-
thacher) Barnes, the former a native of
Maine and the latter of Connecticut. Mrs.
Taylor was educated in the district
schools and in her girlhood days was
trained in the duties of the household, so



646



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



that she was well qualified to take charge
of a home of her own at the time of her
marriage. Three children have blessed
this union : Rosa Blanche, who was born
January 23, 1880, and is now the wife
of John Hull, of Hillsboro, Iowa ; Hattie
Belle, who was born September 7. 1881,
and is the wife of Ed R. Holliday, a resi-
dent of Hillsboro; and Adelbert, born
May 16, 1 89 1, and is yet with his parents.
After their marriage Mr. Taylor and
his bride took up their abode upon a farm
owned by her father on section 29, Sa-
lem township. He has since carried on
general farming and has also raised
horses, cattle and hogs, having pur-
chased the farm he now owns, two hun-
dred and twenty acres of good land, of
which sixty acres is covered with timber.
When the place came into his possession
it was well improved. There is upon the
farm a comfortable residence of eight
rooms together with halls and closets and
in the fall of 1895 he installed a furnace
and heating plant, which keeps the house
at a comfortable temperature throughout.
In his farm work Mr. Taylor is meeting
with creditable success. SA'stem is the
watchword of every enterprising business
man of the present day, and system is
manifest in the business interests of Mr.
Taylor, who carefully directs his farm
work, giving supervision to every detail
and as the years have gone by he has met
with a very desirable measure of pros-
perity. He lives peaceably with all men,
is of a genial temperament and jovial dis-
position and his good nature renders him
popular with a large circle of friends. He
votes with the Republican party, but has
no aspiration for office.



FRANK A. PETERSON.

Frank A. Peterson, farmer and stock-
raiser of Scott township, was born in
\\^ayne township, this county, August 28,
1869. As the name indicates, he is of
Swedish lineage, his parents being John
P. and Hannah (Benson) Peterson, who
were natives of Sweden. In early life the
father, leaving his native country, crossed
the Atlantic to America and made his way
to Galesburg, Illinois. There he was
employed in various ways that would
yield an honest living until 1849, when he
joined a party driving ox teams across
the plains. He acted as one of the hunt-
ers of that party to furnish a supply of
fresh meat. They were six months on the
way, experiencing the usual hardships and
difficulties of that long journey over the
arid plains of the west and through the
mountain passes, but ultimately their
eyes were gladdened by the sight of the
green valleys of California. Mr. Peter-
son remained upon the Pacific coast for
aJDOut five years and then took passage on
a sailing-Vessel from San Francisco bound
for Sweden. After spending a year in
his native land he returned to Galesburg,
where he was married and soon after-
ward he removed to Wayne township,
Henry county, where he purchased a farm
of eighty acres. His time and energies
were afterward devoted to the tilling of
the soil and the care of his crops and he
continued his active farm labor until his
death in May, 1895. His widow still
resides upon the home place.

Frank A. Peterson was sent to the dis-
trict schools near his home and when not
occupied with his text-books he aided in



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



647



the labors of the farm, remaining with his
parents until twenty-two years of age,
when he started out upon an independent
business career. He first made a trip to
Kansas which consumed three months and
after his return he worked at farm labor
for two years, when, hoping that his
labors might more directly benefit him-
self, he rented land from his uncle, Xels
Clen, and continued the cultivation of that



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 76 of 85)