Hobart Publishing Company (Chicago).

Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. online

. (page 83 of 85)
Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 83 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wilkins and his family reside at 125
North Jefferson street, and he owns else-
where a house and lot in ]\Iount Pleas-
ant. He is a self-made man in the truest
and best sense of the term, has led an in-
dustrious and energetic life and has ac-
complished much by his perseverance and
diligence. He and his family are pleasant
and genial people, standing high in the
estimation of the citizens in the commu-
nitv in which thev reside.



694



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



CHARLES GREEN.

Charles Green, who is now hving retired
in Mount Pleasant, was born May 5, 1845,
in Trenton, Henry county, his parents be-
ing James C. and Jane (Morrison) Green.
The father was born near Bristol, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania, in 181 5, and, hav-
ing lost his parents when quite young, he
started out upon his independent business
career when about twenty years of age.
In 1836 he came to Henry county, Iowa,
and located upon a tract of land which he
entered from the government. He shared
in all the hardships and privations as well
as the privileges and pleasures of pioneer
life and aided in reclaiming this district
for the uses of civilization. In 1839 he
was married to Miss Jane Morrison, who
was born in Pennsylvania in 18 14. They
became the parents of nine children : Sarah
M., who was born in 1840 and is now de-
ceased; Anna P., who was born in 1841
and is living in Nebraska; Samuel, who
was born in 1843 and resides upon the old
home farm at Trenton; Charles, of this
review; Joseph M., who was born in 1850
and is represented elsewhere in this work;
Alice R., w^ho was born in 185 1 and is
now deceased; James C, who was born in
1854 and is living in Winfield, Iowa;
Emma P., who was born in 1847 ^^'^ ^^^^
in 1876, and Frank, who was born in
1850 and died in 1875. The father's death
occurred in June, 1888, while the mother
passed away November 9, 1895. He w-as
an Odd Fellow in his fraternal relations
and a democrat in his political views. He
became recognized as one of the strong and
stalwart supporters of his party, well fit-
ted for leadership, and he was several



times called to represent his district in the
state legislature, where he took an active
and helpful part in framing the laws of
the commonwealth. For years he was the
acknowledged leader of his party, not only
in his own tow'nship, but throughout this
part of the state, and when a member of
the house he took an active part in fram-
ing constructive legislation, and he gave
to each question which came up for settle-
ment his thoughtful and earnest consider-
ation. Upon public opinion and action he
left the impress of his individuality and he
was a man who at all times commanded
the respect and confidence of his fellow
citizens, even though they were opposed
to him politically. Various local offices
were conferred upon him, and for a num-
ber of years he w^as a member of the board
of supervisors. He was the first presi-
dent of the society known as the Henry
County Institute of Science, acting in that
capacity when the building known as In-
stitute Hall was presented to the organ-
ization by George Miller. In later years
he was frequently its president and the
chairman of its board of managers. He
was truly a self-made man, who accumu-
lated by his untiring diligence, strong pur-
pose and unfaltering perseverance a very
gratifying fortune, and who also left to
his children the priceless heritage of an un-
sullied name, for he w-as ahvays considered
a man of inflexible integrity and honesty
of purpose, his word having been as good
as his bond. He was likewise a talented
man, recognizing his duties to his coun-
try and his fellow men and the world is
better for his having lived. His wife was
a lady of strongly domestic tastes devoted
to her familv and when called to her final



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



695



rest her remains were interred in Green
Mound cemetery at Trenton.

Charles Green was educated in the dis-
trict schools and after putting aside his
text-books he remained upon the home
farm until he had attained his majority,
save for the period which he spent as a
soldier of the Civil war. In May, 1864.
in response to the call of the Union, he en-
listed in the Forty-fifth Iowa Volunteer
Infantiy for one hundred days' ser^qce and
when the war ended he returned to his
home. He then located on a farm of
eighty acres in Trenton, Henry county,
which he still owns. He removed to
Trenton township, where he devoted his
energies to the improvement and cul-
tivation of his farm until 1888, where he
resided until 1889, when he moved to
Mount Pleasant, and bought a fine prop-
erty at 600 West Monroe street, where he
has since resided. He also has now a good
farm of eighty acres in Center township.
He has for some years been extensively
engaged in farming or "ranching" in the
west, owning nine hundred and sixty acres
of improved land near Livingston, Mon-
tana, where he carries on general farming
and stock-raising, and where he spends
much of his time, still retaining Mount
Pleasant as his residence, where he has
since lived retired save for the supervision
which he gives to his farms in Trenton
and Trenton township and to his several
ranches in the mountains, comprising a
section and a half. He also owns town
property, including a beautiful residence
at No. 600 West Monroe street, which
he has occupied since his removal to -the
city.

He brought his land up to a high state



of cultivation, followed progressive meth-
ods in its improvement and by reason of
his diligence and care his fields were made
to return to him golden harvests.

On the 15th of October, 1868, Mr.
Green was united in marriage to Miss
Martha Bone, who was bom in Trenton,
Iowa, in 1848, a daughter of Elam and
Jane E. (McCrea )Bone. Her parents
were born in Lebanon, Warren county,
Ohio, the father in 1814 and the mother
in 1 81 3. They came to Jefferson county,
Iowa, in 1844, and there the father fol-
lowed farming for a time, after which
he retired from business life and took up
his abode in Mount Pleasant, his death
here occurring October 28, 1886. He and
liis wife traveled life's journey together
for a half century. They were the parents
of seven children : Frank, who resides
at Watertown. Dakota; Mrs. Cynthia
Wilcox, a widow living in York, Ne-
braska ; Mrs. May Brown, residing in Au-
rora, Nebraska ; Mrs. Eva Jeffery, a resi-
dent of Tama Cit\', Iowa ; Mrs. Martha
Green ; Emily, the wife of William Glad-
don, of Mount Pleasant ; and Sarah, who
is living in Mount Pleasant. The father
was a public spirited man, quick of pre-
ception in reg^ard to community or social
interests, was genial in manner, profound
in reasoning and honorable in all life's
relations. In his later life his political
allegiance was given to the democracy.
Both he and his wife have passed away,
their remains being interred in Green
Mound cemetery, at Trenton.

]\Ir. and Mrs. Green have two daugh-
ters. Blanche, born March 24, 1870, in
Trenton, is the wife of S. F. Scott, pas-
senger conductor on the Northern Pacific



696



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



Railroad and residing at Billings, Mon-
tana. Mrs. Scott is a graduate of the
Conservatory of Music of Mount Pleas-
ant, a department of the Iowa Wesleyan
University and is regarded as one of the
most competent instructors of music in
Billings, Montana. Mary, the younger
daughter, born in Trenton April 8, 1873,
is the wife of William Bellis, a resident
of Livingston, Montana, who is a railroad
man connected with the Northern Pacific
line. They have two children, Camille and
James B. Mrs. Bellis is a vocalist of more
than local renown. The daughters have
inherited their musical talent from their
mother, who is a beautiful singer as well
as an intelligent and cultured lady, oc-
cupying an enviable position in social cir-
cles. Mr. Green has followed in the po-
litical footsteps of his father and supports
the democracy. He is an honest upright
man, of fine appearance, and moreover has
developed a character rich in those quali-
ties which in every land and clime com-
mand respect.



JOHN H. LUTE.



John H. Lute, one of the best known
insurance men in the state of Iowa con-
ducting an office in Mount Pleasant since
October, 1892, as a representative of a
number of leading fire insurance compa-
nies, belongs to one of the pioneer families
of this part of the state, his people having
located near Wayland, in Henry county,
in 1837. He is descended from Pennsyl-



vania German ancestiy and his grandfa-
ther died in the Keystone state about 1850.
Representatives of the name still reside
in Ohio. Daniel Lute, father of our sub-
ject, was born in Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, in 18 10, and was twelve
years of age when he went to Scioto
county, Ohio. There he was married to
Miss Elizabeth Arnold, a native of that
state and about three years later they came
to Iowa, arriving in Henry county in
1837. There the father entered land from
the government, securing eighty acres
which was entirely wild and unimproved,
but he at once began to clear and culti-
vate the tract and soon transformed it into
productive fields. He afterward extended
the boundaries of his farm through the
purchase of eighty acres of timber land,
which he also brought under cultivation.
He followed agricultural pursuits through-
out his entire life and was cpiite successful
in his work, for as the years passed he
transformed his farm from an unimproved
district into one of rich fertility that an-
nually yielded him golden harvests. His
wife died in 1855 and was buried in a
small cemetery west of Wayland. The death
of Mr. Lute occurred in July, 1878. His
old homestead farm is now owned by a
cousin of our subject, William Neff.

John H. Lute was born on the old farm
homestead on August 27, 1846, and ac-
quired a district-school education, after
which he continued his studies as opportu-
nity offered. In fact he earned the money
wherewith to pursue his studies and being
ever a friend of education and realizing
its value as a preparation for life's work he
has given his children excellent advantages
.in that direction. For a number of years



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



697



Mr. Lute has devoted his time and ener-
gies to writing insurance, and has built
up a very extensive business, being recog-
nized as one of the most successful and
prominent insurance men of the state. The
extent of his ability and efforts in this di-
rection is indicated by the fact that eight
years ago he won a watch and chain for the
largest amount of business done in the
state. In fact he has taken all of the prizes
offered by the company, including a dia-
mond, which was given last year.

On the 6th of February, 1870, Air. Lute
was united in marriage to Miss Samantha
Kurtz, a daughter of John Kurtz, who came
to Iowa in 1840. He was a prominent
and enterprising agriculturist who owned
and operated a large farm west of Way-
land. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Lute have been
born two children. His son, Ira E., born
December 29, 1876, is a graduate of the
Iowa Wesleyan University, of the class of
1897, and is now secretary of the Young
Men's Christian Association, at Camden,
New Jersey, with a salary of eighteen hun-
dred dollars per year, and is constantly ad-
vancing in his work. He held a similar
position in Cedar Rapids before his gradu-
ation and has displayed great ability in this
work because of his executive force and
his deep interest in the cause. He has also
held similiar positions in Independence
and St. Louis, Missouri. He succeeded
in doubling the membership in six months
after going to Camden, and is now en-
gaged in constructing a new association
building there, at the cost of two hundred
and fifty thousand dollars. He married
Miss Viona Farrar, of Burlington, Iowa.
The daughter, Axie E. Lute, is a graduate
of the Iowa Wesleyan University of the



class of 1903. She pursued a classical
course and also took special work in
French and also as a student of music in
the conservatory before entering upon her
college course, being a pupil of Dr. Rom-
mell. She is now the wife of Rev. Wil-
liam S. Mitchell, of Cleveland, Ohio.

Air. and Mrs. Lute hold membership in
the First Methodist church of Alount
Pleasant, taking an active and helpful part
in its work, and he is serving as a member
of the ofificial board, while his daughter
is active in the work of the Sundav-school.
He has ever given his political allegiance
to the republican party and was formerly
one of its stalwart and efficent advocates,
serving as township committeeman for a
number of years, yet never seeking office
as a reward for party fealty. He has like-
wise frequently attended the party conven-
tions, and in all matters of citizenship he
is progressive and public spirited, lending
his aid and co-operation to many move-
ments for the general good. He represents
an honored pioneer family and his lines
of life have been cast in harmony there-
with, for the name Lute has ever been a
synonym for business ability and integrity,
for successful accomplishment and for de-
sirable citizenship.



WILLIAM BOYD.



W^illiam Boyd, a leading and successful
farmer of Center township, owning and
operating one hundred and seventy-three
acres of land and who is prominent in



698



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



community affairs, serving now as town-
ship trustee, was born near Cambridge,
Guernsey county, Ohio, January' 27. 1844,
his parents being Thomas and Ehzabeth
(Abel) Boyd. The grandfather, who also
bore the name of Thoipas Boyd, was a
pioneer settler of Ohio, and there the
father lived and died. \\'illiam Boyd was
reared in the state of his -nativity and ac-
quired a good education in the public
schools. He remained with his father on
the home farm until he had attained his
majority and assisted him in the general
work of tilling the soil and caring for the
stock and the crops. He came to Henr}^
county in 1867, locating first in Centre
tOAvnship, where he has since spent his life
as a farmer. In 1892 he purchased his
present place, comprising one hundred and
seventy-three acres in Center township and
has erected all of the buildings here in-
cluding a fine modern residence and good
barns. He has also set out all of the deco-
rative trees about the place and has made
his home most attractive in its appearance.
He carries on general agricultural pur-
suits and has been very successful in his
work, which is conducted along practical
and progressive lines. He uses the latest
improved machinery in caring for the
fields and everything about his farm is
neat and thrifty in appearance.

In March, 1865, Mr. Boyd in response
to his country's call for troops, having just
attained his twenty-first vear, enlisted in
Company D, Fiftieth Iowa Infantry, and
served until honorably discharged in Oc-
tober following. He was not in any en-
gagement, however. A republican in poli-
tics, he is recognized as one of the strong
and stalwart supporters of that party and



in 1893 was township assessor. Not long
afterward he was elected township trus-
tee and has filled the position to the pres-
ent time, serving now for the fourth term
with credit to himself and satisfaction to
his constitutents. There have been many
permanent improvements made in the
roads and bridges during his incumbency
in the office and he has been an active
worker for improvement along this line.
He is also recognized as a most capable
and ardent supporter of the republican
party in his township, and has attended
many of the conventions as a delegate.
Fraternally he is connected with Mount
Pleasant Lodge, Xo. 8, Ancient Free and
Accepted Masons.

On the 1 6th of Augrist, 1868, :Mr.
Boyd was married to Miss Elizabeth Coi-
ner, of Center township, a daughter of
Christian and Elizabeth (Teeter) Coiner,
the former a native of Virginia. He was
married in Ohio, and in 1848 came to
Iowa, bringing his daughter here as an
infant. They lived near Mediapolis, Des
Aloines county, but in 1858 removed to
Blount Pleasant, where the father retired
from active business life. His daughter,
yirs. Boyd, was educated in that city. By
this marriage there have been born six
children : Cora, now the wife of C. W.
Lawrence, a resident of Utah; Alberta,
the wife of George C. Bayles, of Seattle,
W^ashington ; ]\Iaud and Hattie, at home;
flattie, the wife of J. J. Allen, of Way-
land, Iowa; and Ross C, at home. The
parents are members of the Pleasant Hill
]Methodist Episcopal church, and enjoy
the warm and favorable regard of many
friends in this locality. Mr. Boyd belongs
to that class of representative citizens who



HENRY COUNTY, lOlVA.



699



have made steady advancement in the
business world by means of close applica-
tion and miremitting diligence and as an
agriculturist and republican leader de-
serves mention with the representative
men of Henry county.



JUDGE M. L. ANDREWS.

Judge j\I. L. Andrews, now deceased,
•was connected w^ith the educational devel-
opment of Henry county at an early day,
was a veteran of the Civil war and in
later years filled various local offices, the
duties of which he discharged with a
promptness and fidelity that left no room
for questioning as to his motives or worth
in office. As the years passed he left upon
the pages of hston- a record clean and
honorable and he well deser\-es mention
among tlie representative men of the past
and present who have been closely associ-
ated with the welfare and upbuilding of
this section of the state. He was bom in
Trumbull county. Ohio, March 16, 1836,
parents being Daniel and Maiy Ann An-
drews. He had four sisters ; Hannah, the
w^ife of Daniel Booth, of Green, Ohio;
Lucy, the widow of Reynolds Bascom,
also of Green ; Eliza, the widow of Allen
Meacham, of Washington, Iowa ; and
Nancy, the widow of Richard Ambler, of
W^ashington, D. C. The first eighteen
years of his life were spent in the state of
his nativity and he then came. to Iowa in
1854. He found here a countiy largely
wild and unimproved but it was making



steady and substantial progress toward
the more advanced civilization of the older
east. He became a factor in the educa-
tional development as a teacher in the
early schools of Henry county and later
he continued his own education in a busi-
ness college. Subsequently he removed to
Alills county, Iowa, and was engaged in
merchandising at what was then Pacific
City, but is now Pacific Junction.

On the 15th of February, 1858, Judge
Andrews was united in marriage to Miss
Maria Deming, the wedding being cele-
brated at Taylorville, in Fayette county,
loAva. Mrs. Andrews was born in Trum-
bull county, Ohio, June 23. 1838. At
the time of their marriage they crossed
the state in a private conveyance and
Judge Andrews continued in active mer-
chandising until after the outbreak of the
Civil war. In the meantime, however,
he made one trip across the plains to
Pike's Peak. In 1862 he enlisted for serv-
ice in Mills county as a member of the
Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantiy and was
elected to the captaincy of Company B.
During the last months of his connection
with the army he was appointed and
served as provo marshal at Little Rock,
Arkansas, and was mustered out in 1865.
In the same year he took up his abode in
Little Rock and was there admitted to the
bar. In connection with his legal prac-
tice he also engaged in the real-estate and
insurance business and he serv-ed for a
time as state land agent. He was twice
police judge and as a member of the
school board he did effective service for
the cause of public education there. He
held membership in the Methodist church,
was Sunday school superintendent for



"00



BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW



years and assisted in building the finest
house of worship for the Methodist
church North that is today found in the
south, acting as business manager during
the course of its construction.

In 1874 Judge Andrews returned to
Iowa and took up his abode on a farm
in New London township, Henry county.
In 1 88 1 he was chosen to fiH out an unex-
pired term as clerk of the courts, the va-
cancy having been occasioned by the death
J. N. Allen. He was then twice elected
to the office, which he filled altogether for
five years, proving prompt and capable in
the discharge of his duties. His political
allegiance was always given to the re-
publican party and he did everything in
his power to promote its growth and in-
sure its success. He kept well informed
on questions and issues of the day and
was thus able to support his position by in-
telligent argument. Other public inter-
ests and organizations felt the stimulus
and benefited by the efforts of Judge An-
drews. He was a valued member of jMc-
Farland Post, Grand Army of the Re-
public, and at the time of his demise was
its senior vice commander. He was also
president for one year of the Henry Coun-
ty Soldiers' Association, was a member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
of New London, and was district deputy
during the last year of his life. His last
public service was in the organization of
the Henry County Fanners' Institute, of
Avhich he was president.

Unto Judge and Mrs. Andrews were
bom six children : Florence, now Mrs.
John W. Palm ; Mary, the wife of Frank
Herrick, of Woodbine, Iowa ; Rose, the
wife of Ellsworth Rominger, of Bloom-



field, Iowa; Mark D., who is living in
Menlo, Kansas; Walter, who resides in
Lamoni, Iowa; and Helen, the wife of
Bruce Young, of Kalispell, Montana.

Judge Andrews was called to his final
rest in 1890, and his wife's death occurred
in 1895. He was a man of broad and lib-
eral mind, of quick intuitive insight, of
charitable views and of warm personal
attachments. He was well pleased with
the world as he found it, was grateful to
his Maker and sought by his life to make
the world still better and happier. He
was always light hearted and cheerful and
the most serious and preplexing circum-
stgnces were viewed hopefully, for he had
confidence that earnest endeavor and ac-
tWe work would bring their own compen-
sations, lighten the burdens and produce
better results. He was very devoted to
his home and family and he held friend-
ship inviolable. It was at his own fire-
side that his nature was most sunny and
genial. He delighted in the companion-
ship of his wife and children and he was
ther friend and counselor as well as hus-
band and father.



"His life was gentle and the elements

were
So mixed in him that nature might rise up
And sav to all the world, 'This is a man.' "



ALBERT WASHINGTON KINKEAD

Albert W'ashington Kinkead, who in
the development of his native powers and
latent energies has attained prominence



HENRY COUNTY, IOWA.



701



at the bar of Mount Pleasant, where he
is also successfully conducting" an abstract
business in addition to the general prac-
tice of law, was born in the town of
Homer, Licking county, Ohio, on the 22d
of February, 1853, ^''^^ parents being Rob-
ert ^^lIlis and Jerusha (Smith) Kink-
ead. The father was born in Muskingum
county, Ohio, February 25, 181 7, and was
a son of Joseph Kinkead, a pioneer of the
Buckeye state, who removed there from
Virginia. He was a soldier of the war
of 181 2, and when a young man went
from the Old Dominion to Ohio, casting
in his lot with the pioneer settlers of
Muskingum county, whence he afterward
removed to Licking county. He engaged
in the operation of a tannery in both coun-
ties and in 1852 he brought his land war-
rant — received for service in the war of
181 2 — to Iowa, and located a claim three
miles west of Morning Sun, w^here he de-
veloped a good farm upon which he and
his wife spent their remaining days.

Robert A\\ Kinkead was reared in the
state of his nativity, where he learned the
trade of a shoemaker, after having first
become familiar with the tanner's trade-
in the town of Homer, Licking county,
he conducted an extensive* business in the
manufacture of shoes, employing seven
men. This was before the period of the
extensive shoe factories of the country,
when most of the w^ork was done by hand.
Later he removed to a farm, thinking it
would be better to rear his sons there and
at that time his eldest son was a soldier
in the Civil war. The family resided upon
the farm until 1865, when they took up
their abode near Cincinnati, in Hamilton
county, there remaining until 1869, when



the father came to Iowa, accompanied by
his wife and children, with the exception
of Albert W. and his next older brother.
The family home was established near



Online LibraryHobart Publishing Company (Chicago)Biographical review of Henry County, Iowa, containing biographical and genealogical sketches of many of the prominent citizens of to-day and also of the past .. → online text (page 83 of 85)