Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 100 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 100 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


duce a journal for the family circle, an object
which he so successfully accomplished as to
make it a first favorite in scores of homes which
were entirely antagonistic to him politically.
During his career as an editor he wrote what
would occupy several book shelves if put into
book form, covering the entire range of subjects
which interest the American people, and ranging
"from grave to gay, from lively to severe." With
an abundant knowledge of the best in literature,
and keeping ever in touch with advanced thought
and action, he added that charm of graceful writ-
ing which is scarcely to be acquired, but comes
to one as does the divine afflatus to the poet.

Mr. Beardslee married Charlotte Clark,
daughter of the late William Clark, of Abington
township, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania.
She came from one of the pioneer families of



iSka/^'




^-<^<f^::^wL - c.-t^^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



481



the valley. Her grandfather, Deacon William
Clark, came from Plainfield, Connecticut, with
his three sons — William (father of Mrs. Beards-
lee ) , Jeremiah and John — coming across the
mountains with one horse drawing a drag bear-
ing a few implements and some provisions.
March 15, 1799, they made a stopping place
near Leggett's Gap, and in the following sum-
mer Deacon Clark planted the settlement known
as Clark's Green. The nearest market was
^^'ilkes-Barre, nearly thirty miles southward, the
pathwav through the forest being infested with
wolves. Deacon Clark's wife was the first white
woman in Abington. She and her husband were
among the first members of the first church
(Baptist) formed in Abington, and the initial
meeting was held at their house.

JOSEPH FREDERICK, of Pittston, is de-
scended from ancestors who came from Holland
to America during the pioneer epoch in the his-
tory of Pennsylvania, and became identified with
the early development and improvement of the
state. George Frederick, his grandfather, was
born in Northampton county and there spent his
entire life, following the occupation of farming.
He was the father of seven sons and two daugh-
ters. The sons were : John, William, George,
Charles, Reuben, Samuel and Jacob.

Jacob Frederick, fatner of Joseph Frederick,
was born in Northampton county, February 4,
1816, died at Avoca, Pennsylvania, January 8,
1893. In early life he learned the shoemaker's
trade, which he followed for a few years, and
then accepted a position with the Pennsylvania
Coal Company, with which he was connected un-
til his death, covering a period of about fifty
years. He was a very active and helpful mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a
long period, and belonged to the Odd Fellows
Lodge at Pittston. He married, November 26,
1837, Lizzie Ziegler, and they had nine children :
Joseph, born March 29, 1839; Lizzie, born Feb-
ruary 18, 1841, wife of John Routledg ; Nancy
J., born September 9, 1844, married a Mr. Gor-
don ; Maria, born November 4, 1846, the second
wife of John Routledg ; Harriett, born Novem-
ber 17, 1849, the wife of Lewis Coon; George,
born April 21, 1851 ; Jacob, born July 31, 1853;
Ella C, born November 24, 1855, wife of John
C. Bryden, and Ruth A., born June 14, 1861,
married F"rank Weeks.

Joseph Frederick was born at Port Blanchard,
Pennsylvania, March 29, 1839, and remained
upon the home farm until twenty-three years of
age. After acquiring a common school educa-



tion he assisted in the work of the fields and also
worked for a part of the time for the Pennsyl-
vania Coal Company. In 1862 he responded to
his country's -call for aid and enlisted in School-
ey's Independent Battery. Later he w^s trans-
ferred to Company M, Second Pennsylvania
Heavy Artillery, the One Hundred and Twelfth
Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers. He serv-
ed as a non-commissioned ofificer and was honor-
ably discharged after the close of the war, at
Petersburg, Virginia, June 20, 1865. After his
return from the army Air. Frederick entered the
employ of the Pennsylvania Coal Company, with
which he remained until July i, 1903, when he
retired to private life, thus severing a connection
of almost half a century with that corporation.
His interest in military afifairs did not abate with
the close of the Civil war, and from 1868 until
1873 Mr. Frederick served as captain of a com-
pany that belonged to the state militia. He be-
longs to Nugent Post, G. A. R., of Pittston ; to
St. John's Lodge, No. 233, Free and Accepted
Masons; and to Gahanto Lodge, No. 314, In-
dependent Order Odd Fellows, both of Pittston.
Mr. Frederick married, January 17, 1868,
Ettie Shannon, daughter of George Shannon,
whose ancestors took an active part in the Revo-
lutionary war. By this marriage there were five
children : Mary S., born December 29, 1868,
wife of George Nielson ; Bertha, born January
16, 1873, died August 21, 1875; Will J., born
August 4, 1875 ; Lizzie, born November 29, 1878,
died August 23, 1879; and Laura Electa Cole,
born September 19, 1881, wife of Harry J. Bald-
win. The family are all members of the Metho-
dist Episcopal church.

GEORGE W. WEILAND, contractor and
builder, whose extensive establishment is situ-
ated in Dickson City, Pennsylvania, is one of the
most progressive and prosperous business men of
the borough. From a small beginning, but
equipped with that determination that sur-
mounts all obstacles, he forged ahead and is un-
willing to rest until he attains the topmost rung
of the ladder, which he is fast approaching. His
birth occurred in Dickson City, Pennsylvania,
February 5, 1864.

His parents were George and Margaret Weil-
and, natives of Germany, who emigrated to this
country at an early day. They located in Hazle-
ton, Pennsylvania, where they resided until 1863
in which year they changed their place of resi-
dence to the borough of Dickson, remaining there
until their demise in May, 1884, and February,
1903, respectively. They were the parents of six



482



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



children, an of whom attained years of maturity,
and the five surviving members reside in Dick-
son City, being loyal citizens of the common-
wealth and devoted to the best interests of their
native town.

George W. Weiland received a meagre edu-
cation in the common schools of his birthplace,
but this does not imply, however, that he is an
illiterate man by any means, as all through life
he has been a close student of books and men
and is well posted in current events. At the
early age of seven years he entered the employ
of the Delaware and Hudson Coal Company, re-
maining with them for the long period of twenty-
one years. From breaker boy he passed through
the various grades, but always in promotion, un-
til he reached the position of machinist. In the
meantime he saw the necessity for the establish-
ment of a lumber yard in his borough, and dur-
ing the latter years uf his employment acquired
a general knowledge of building, so that when
the opportunity came he was able to avail him-
self of its entering into his present enterprise in
1 89 1. He has constantly on hand large quan-
tities of the best material of builders" supplies
in order to meet the demand of his growing
trade, and in addition to this extensive plant em-
ploys a force of forty men in the erection of
buildings throughout the Lackawanna valley,
which stand as monuments to his handicraft.

Mr. Weiland strongly advocates the princi-
ples of the Prohibition party, but in national is-
sues is in sympathy with the Republican party,
in whose ranks are to be found many active ad-
vocates of the temperance cause. In 1888 he
was honored by election to the office of chief
burgess of the borough of Dickson, members of
both parties having combined to place him there.
He also served two terms as assessor, and at the
present time (1904) is a member of the borough
council. He is a member oi Golden Chain Lodge,
No. 945, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in
which he has filled all the offices. He now holds
the distinguished position of district deputy
grand master. His lodge conferred upon him
the honor of delegate to represent them at the
Grand Lodge, which convened at Reading, Penn-
sylvania, 1892.

Mr. Weiland married, November 24, 1884,
Catherine E. Morgan, daughter of Philip Mor-
gan, of Dickson City. Their children are : Ed-
mund F., who is a graduate of Buck and Whit-
more Business College, of Scranton, and now
assists his father in his business; Theodore C,
a student at Jefferson Medical College, Phila-
delphia; Stanley M., a student; Beatrice, a stu-



dent ; Flossie, George, Jessie, Beda, Florence
Lee, deceased ; Russell and Floyd. Mr. Weiland
takes great ]3ride in his children and he is de-
termined that their education shall be up to the
standard of modern methods.

JOHN F. O'HARA, a loyal, public-spirited
and worthy citizen of the borough of Dickson,
Pennsylvania, in whom his neighbors and friends
place implicit confidence, is a native of Scotland,
born in 1852, a son of Bernard and IMary O'Hara,
also natives of Scotland. Bernard O'Hara emi-
grated to America in 1853, one year after the
birth of his son John F., and was followed by
his family in the year 1857. He located in Scran-
ton, Pennsylvania, and for many years was em-
ployed by the Delaware, Lackawanna and West-
ern Coal Company. He died in 1882, and his
wife survived him many years, passing away in
1897. Six children were born to them, four of
whom are living, as follows ; James A., Agnes,
wife of Thomas Welch ; John F. and Theresa.

John F. O'Hara attended the public schools
of Scranton, but at the tender age of seven years
began work as a breaker boy. For thirty years
he was employed by the Delaware, Lackawanna
and Western Coal Company in various capaci-
ties, from breaker boy to foreman. He began at
the Diamond Mine in Scranton, and from there
went to Avondale, Halstead and Duryea. In
1 89 1 he was appointed to his present position as
inside foreman of Johnson No. i, situated in
the borough of Dickson. At that time this was
the John Jermyn Company, subsequently became
the Johnson, and finally was owned and con-
trolled by the Scranton Coal Company. He has
under his control three hundred and fifty men,
but is thoroughly qualified for this responsible
position by his long connection with the produc-
tion of coal. He is a man of clear understand-
ing and sound judgment, industrious and pru-
dent, and well endowed with energy. The able
manner in which he manages his large force of
men denotes ability of a high order, and by tak-
ing an interest in each and every one he has won
and retained their confidence. For two terms
he has held the office of school director, and is
a member of the borough council. He is a Re-
publican in politics, and very liberal in his views.
He holds membership in the Knights of Colum-
bus, Scranton Council, and is president of the
St. Thomas Temperance Society, in the cause
of which he takes an active interest and is an
earnest advocate.

In 1876 Mr. O'Hara married j\lary Gilboy,
daughter of James and Margaret Gilboy, and



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



483



the issue of this union was seven children, five
of whom are Hving, namely : George V., sur-
veyor for the Erie Railroad and Coal Company ;
Marv L., Elizabeth P., J. Bernard, a member of
the surveying corps of the Scranton Coal Com-
pany ; and Agnes. By economy and thrift Mr.
O'Hara has been able to erect for himself and
family a beautiful and commodious home, which
adds to the beauty of the borough and also to



the comfort of its inmates.

ELIAS S. REYNOLDS. Among the old
and respected residents of Factoryville must be
numbered Elias S. Reynolds. He traces his de-
scent from New England ancestors who emi-
grated from Rhode Island to Pennsylvania not
long after the Revolutionary war. Robert Rey-
nolds, one of his forefathers on the paternal
side, served in the Continental army with the
rank of captain.

Stewart Reynolds was born in Factoryville,
where he spent his life as a farmer. He married
Diana Stanton, a native of the same place, and
they were the parents of three children : Elias
S., mentioned hereinafter ; Adelbert and Jerusha.
Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, the parents of these chil-
dren, are now deceased. They were respected
by all for their genuine and unostentatious
worth.

Elias S. Reynolds, son of Stewart and Diana
(Stanton) Reynolds, was born in 1835 O" ''''■''
father's farm in Factoryville, and' obtained his
education in the district school belonging to his
native town. In 185 1 the death of his father
obliged him to leave school and assume the man-
agement of the farm, a responsibility which he
discharged with a steadiness and fidelity hardly
to be expected from one of his years. Of this
estate he is now the owner, maintaining it in a
flourishing and profitable condition. With the
exception of twelve years' residence in Abington
township his entire life, thus far, has been
passed on his paternal acres. In connection with
his agricultural pursuits he has followed the
trade of a carpenter. Mr. Reynolds is a good
citizen, ever ready to lend his aid and influence
to any plan having for its object the advance-
ment of the best interests of the community. Po-
litically he is an adherent of the Republican
party, whose principles find in him an ardent
supporter and a strenuous advocate. He is a
member of the Baptist Church, in which his zeal
and steadfastness have caused him to be recog-
nized as one to be implicitly relied on for aid
and counsel in all good works.



Mr. Reynolds married, November 30, 1854,
Caroline, daughter of Francis Spencer, of
Springville, Wyoming county, Pennsylvania, and
three children have been born to them: Stewart,
Frederick and Emma Evelyn, wife of Frederick
Bailey.

JOHN MARSHALL. Among the enter-
prising and respected farmers of Lackawanna
county John Marshall, of Dalton, occupies a fore-
most place. He is the son of Andrew and i\Iary
(Owen) Marshall, of England, whose five chil-
dren, with the exception of their son John, still
reside in their native country.

John Marshall was born in 1847, in England,
where he received his education and learned the
trade of a machinist. He was employed by a
company who manufactured the machinery used ■
in silk and flax mills, and was sent by this com-
pany to various cities in France and Italy to
erect the inachinery and put it into practical use.
He put up the machinery for one of the largest
mills in Bologna, Italy, where he remained for
five years as assistant superintendent. In De-
cember, 1881, he emigrated to the United States,
and after staving for a short time in Philadelphia
settled in Scraiiton in 1882. He found employ-^
meat as a machinist in the Surquoit silk mills of
that city, remaining there for eleven years. In
1893 he resigned his position and moved to the
farm which has since been his home. His land,
while not including a large number of acres, is
highly productive, and supplies the Scranton
market with some of the choicest fruits there
offered for sale. He is extensively engaged m
the poultry business, the fowls raised on his
farm comnnanding the highest prices and his eggs
being noted for their fine flavor. He is a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
Lodge No. 170, of Scranton, and in the sphere
of politics is a firm believer in the doctrines of
the Republican party, giving practical expression
to his belief by words and deeds. In matters of
religion he adheres to the teachings of the Bap-
tist" Church, of which he is an active and de-
voted member.

Mr. Marshall has been twice married. His
first wife bore him two children : Charles Eu-
gene who is married and lives in Scranton. and
John W. a resident of Wilkes-Barre. After the
death of' his wife Mr. Marshall married Eliza-
beth, daughter of George and Elizabeth Daw-
son ' Both his marriages were contracted m
England. Mr. Marshall enjoys the reputation
of one of the most loyal and patriotic citizens
in Lackawanna county.



484



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



HENRI REIMAN. Among those loyal
foreign-born citizens of whom Lackawanna
county has just reason to be proud, Henri Rei-
man, of Dalton, holds an honored place. He
is one of those true patriots who combme a warm
affection for their native land with the truest
allegiance to the country of their adoption.

John Reiman was born in Switzerland and
married Annie Fuller, a native of the same coun-
try. They were the parents of five children :
Helena, Annie, John, Michael and Henri, men-
tioned hereinafter. The three sons are now
good and useful citizens of the United States.

Henri Reiman, son of John and Annie (Ful-
ler) Reiman, was born December 14, 1838, in
Switzerland, and received his education in the
common schools of his birthplace. He followed
agricultural pursuits until 1863, when he emi-
grated to the United States. His first place of
abode was in Sullivan county, New York, where
he worked at the stone mason's trade in conjunc-
tion with farming. In 1873 he migrated to Penn-
sylvania and settled in Wayne county, where
he was engaged for ten years in the lumber busi-
ness. At the expiration of that time he returned
to his home in Sullivan county. New York, re-
maining there five years. In 1888 he came to
Lackawanna county and settled in Dalton bor-
ough, where he purchased the farm which is
now his home. Under his skillful cultivation
the land is rendered very productive. He makes
a specialty of vegetables and also of the raising
of poultry, and in both these lines has achieved
marked success. In connection with his agri-
cultural labors he follows the stone mason's
trade. Politically Mr. Reiman is a staunch Re-
publican. He is a devoted member of the Pres-
byterian Church.

Mr. Reiman married in i860, Annie, daugh-
ter of John and Margaret (Fisher) Moore. Of
the nine childreVi born to them four are now
living: John, Michael, Bertha, wife of George
Kronier ; and Henry. John Reiman is a resi-
dent of Scranton. His brother Michael is a
farmer in Dalton borough, and in 1900 married
Hulda Morris. They have two children : Eliza-
beth and Agnes.

EMMETT BRODHEAD. We are living in
one of the greatest, if not the greatest countries
on the globe. This greatness is due to several
causes, one of which is not always before the
public eye, that of the sturdy character of the
first settlers in our country. The Dutch were
the people who settled New York, spreading: out
into the great state of Pennsylvania, and laid the



basis for a firm form of social and moral gov-
ernment. Some of our best citizens of today
have sprung from Dutch ancestry, as has Em-
mett Brodhead, whose name appears at the head
of this memoir. No more fitting memorial can
be erected to the memory of the early settlers
than the reproduction of their own character-
istics exemplified in the lives of their descend-
ants.

In the early history of this great and glorious
country three brothers by the name of Brodhead
emigrated from Holland and settled in the state
of New York. One of them, the grandfather
of Emmett Brodhead, located in Lister county,
and among his children was a son, Charles A.
Brounead, father of Emmett Brodhead, who was
born in Ulster county. New York, in 1810. He
was a farmer by occupation, practical and pro-
gressive in his methods, and by dint of perse-
verance and close application became one of the
prosperous men of his county, where he re-
mained up to the year of his decease, 1901, at
the advanced age of ninetv years. His wife,
whose maiden name was Harriet Van Wagenen.
daughter of Jacobus Van Wagenen, passed away
in 1855. They were the parents of nine children,
only four of whom attained years of maturity,
namely : Emmett, mentioned hereinafter ; Simon,
who died during the period of the Civil war ;
Amanda, and Angela, now Mrs. Van Demark.
of Ulster county, New York.

Emmett Brodhead was born in Ulster county.
New York, April, 1837. He was reared and edu-
cated near the scene of his birth, and in early
life served an apprenticeship at the trade of tan-
ner, at which he worked as journeyman in his
native place until about 1873. He then removed
to Nicholson, where he engaged as foreman in
the tannery of Childs & Bloomer, remaining
with them several years. He then went to Elm-
hurst as foreman of the Jackson Shultze tan-
neries, and served in that capacity for about sev-
en years. At the expiration of this period of
time, 1885, he purchased from Jackson Shultze
the Spring Brook tannery, near Moosic. Penn-
sylvania, which he successfully operated for
about ten years, after which he disposed of the
property to the Spring Brook Water Supply
Company, and in 1898 retired from active busi-
ness pursuits. This does not signify that Mr.
Brodhead's life of usefulness is over, as in this
case as well as in many more the real and social
abilities of men become more prominent as the
strain of business pressure ceases. He takes an
active interest in all measures and enterprises
pertaining to the welfare of his borough, of



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



485



which he is the first chief burgess. He is a
staunch RepubHcan in politics, the principles of
which party he has advocated since attaining his
majority. He is a member of Moscow Lodge. No.
504, Free and Accepted Masons, and is also a
member of the chapter and commandery at Mos-
cow.

Mr. Brodhead married Sarah \'an Luzen,
daughter of John and Catherine Van Luzen, na-
tives of New York state. Their children are :
Neal, of Philadelphia ; Charles S., of Moosic ;
Ira. of Moosic ; Carrie and John L., who reside
with their parents.

PROFESSOR JAMES J. POWELL, super-
vising principal of the Moosic borough schools,
which responsible position he has filled since
1896 to the entire satisfaction of the patrons and
edification of the scholars, this being due in a
great measure to the fact that he possesses the
ability to convey clearly to others the knowl-
edge acquired by himself, was born in Minooka,
Pennsylvania, May 12, 1874. It is a foregone
conclusion that the education of a child begins
one hundred vears before it is born, yet how
large a share of the moulding of character, train-
ing of thought and development of the mental
faculties are left for the teacher in our public
schools to carry out. The most illustrious and
leading minds of today can trace back to their
school days to some particular time when a
bright idea flashed from the mind of the teacher,
illuminating the soul of the pupil, a light which
in their subsequent life has never grown dim.
Indeed the successful teacher, either consciously
or unconsciously, stamps his impress to • some
extent on the mind of his pupils.

The parents of Professor Powell were Rich-
ard and Rose (Flynn) Powell, natives of Ire-
land, who emigrated to this country in the early
forties. Their deaths occurred in October, 1888,
in that memorable railroad disaster at Mud Run.
They were the parents of six children, namelv :
Mary E. (Mrs. Walsh), Annie (Mrs. Sullivan),
James J., mentioned hereinafter; Patrick, Rose
and John.

Professor Powell was reared in his nL'tive
town, in which he has always resided, and his
education was acquired in the schools adjacent
to his home and in the city of Scranton. In
1896 he began his career as teacher in one of
the township schools, a position he filled for two
years. At this time Moosic borough was organ-
ized and he was at once appointed supervising
principal, the duties of which responsible posi-
tion have been discharged with the utmost ef-



ficiency and capability. He has under his super-
vision four school buildings, which accommo-
date the five hundred and seventy pupils in the
borough, and these are under the preceptorship
of fourteen teachers. The high school course
qualifies the graduates for teachers, or the sec-
ond year course in the State Normal School.
Mr. Powell is serving the third year as chair-
man of the Permanent Certificate Committee of
Lackawanna county. He is president of the
Young Men's Institute in Scranton, and is a
member of Knights of Columbus, No. 280,
Scranton. He is unmarried.

OWEN TIBBETT. Among the various ele-
ments which contribute to the foreign popula-
tion of the Lackawanna Valley no nationality
produces better citizens than the Welsh, and no
citizen presents a truer type of the naturalized
Welshman than does Owen Tibbett, of Avoca.
He is a son of William and Mary (Hughes)
Tibbett, natives of Wales, who had children :
Ellen, Anna. Sarah, Owen, mentioned herein-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 100 of 130)