Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 101 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 101 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


after; and William. Mr. Tibbett. the father,
died in 1898. at the age of seventy-five years,
having passed his entire life in his native land,
where his widow still survives at the advanced
age of eighty-four.

Owen Tibbett, son of William and Mary
(Hughes) Tibbett, was born March, 1861, in
Wales, where he received a common school edu-
cation, and was afterward engaged in railroad
work. In 1883 he emigrated to the United
States and settled in Luzerne county. He there
entered the service of the Delaware and Hudson
Company as a miner, an occupation in which he
has continued from that time until the present.
In 1890 he took up his abode in Avoca, thus
adding to the number of the good citizens of
that place. He is a member of the Ancient Or-
der of the Knights of the Mystic Chain," of
Moosic. The Republican party finds in Mr. Tib-
bett an earnest upholder of its principles and
doctrines. He is a member of the Presbyterian
Church.

Mr. Tibbett married. April 25, 1887. Alice,
daughter of Robert and Jane (Jones) Lewis,
and their children are : Robert, William, Griffith,
Margaret J., McKinley and Roosevelt.

WILLIAM C. MONIE,' district superintend-
ent of Spring Brook Water Supply Company,
was born in Denny, Scotland. May 3, 1859.
Probably no country on the globe has so inter-
esting, thrilling and romantic history as Scot-
land. The Scot is proverbially known for his



486



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



love of country, home and self, not meaning by
the latter that he is selfish, but that his love of
self, or self-pride, elevates him above the petty
things of life into which many men fall. Were
we to search the records of this country we
would find that many of our best citizens emi-
grated from the hills of Scotland.

His parents were James and Isabel (Neil-
son) Monie, natives of Scotland, whose family
consisted of twelve children, eight of whom are
now (1904) living, and seven of whom accom-
panied their mother to the United States after
the death of her husband in 1869. Mr. Monie
followed the occupation of puddler, having been
employed for many years in the Kingshorn Iron
Works, Scotland. The death of Mrs. Monie oc-
curred in Pittston, Pennsylvania, in 1892.

William C. Monie attended the schools of
his native town, Denny, and at the age of nine
years accompanied his parents to Kingshorn,
Scotland, where he was employed in the water
works, becoming thoroughly conversant with
the city water supply system. On May 3, 1884,
he left his native land for a home in the new
world, locating in Pittsto'n, Pennsylvania. He
at once entered the employ of the Pittston Wa-
ter Company, where he remained until he w?«
elected to his present position, district superin~
tendent of Spring Brook Water Supplv Com-
pany, July 6, 1886. For eighteen years Mr.
Monie has proved his faithfulness in the con-
scientious discharge of his arduous duties, a fact
which has made him almost indispensable to the
company. His supervision is over a large terri-
tory, including in part the following towns :
Moosic, Old Forge, Duryea, Avoca and Lack-
awanna. Mr. Monie believes, as do also the
consumers of the Spring Brook water, that it
is the best water that can be supplied. Indeed,
he believes that water is the only liquid that
should be used as drink, and consequently is a
strong advocate of the principles of the Prohi-
bition party. He believes in the doctrines of
the Presbyterian faith, and is one of the strong
supporters and most active workers in the
church and Sunday school of his town.

On December 31, 1880, Mr. Monie married
Jessie Dow, a daughter of David and Isabel
(Anderson) Dow, natives of Kingshorn, Scot-
land, also the birthplace of Mrs. Monie. Seven
children were the issue of this union : Isabel,
James, David, Helen, Charles, Annie, deceased ;
and Marjorie Monie.

JOHN SLIWINSKI. One of the leading
citizens of Priceburg. Lackawanna county, and



one who is held in high regard as a citizen and
business man is John Sliwinski, postmaster of
the town and also incumbent of the office of
justice of the peace. He has been in a significant
sense the artificer of his own fortunes, having
come to America as a young man and without
the reinforcement of capitalistic resources or in-
fluential friends, and having pressed forward
to the goal of success and worthv prestige with
energy and honest endeavor.

Air. Sliwinski was born in Galetia, Austrian
Poland, 1863, being a son of Matthew and Mary
Sliwinski, the former of whom died in his native
land in 1889, while his widow still resides in the
old homestead. They became the parents of
three sons and one daughter, the latter being now
deceased, while John is the only representative
of the immediate family in America. John
Sliwinski duly availed himself of the educational
advantages of the schools of his native city,
where he completed a course in what Americans
would designate a normal school. He continued
to reside there until 1883, when, at the age of
twenty years, he set forth to seek his fortune
in the United States. He located in Nanticoke,
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he re-
mained until 1894, having been employed for
the greater portion of the intervening time as
a salesman in the dry goods establishment of W.
P. Jones, a leading merchant of that place. In
1894 he came to Priceburg to accept a position
as teacher in the parochial schools of the Polish
Catholic Church, and also became organist in
the church, retaining these positions two vears.
In 1895 li^ was elected to the office of justice of
the peace, and at the expiration of his term, in
1900, was again chosen incumbent of the office,
in which he had rendered most efficient service,
while in the spring of 1905 he was again elected
to the same office. After resigning his position
in the schools Mr. Sliwinski engaged in the gen-
eral merchandise business in Priceburg, and still
continues this enterprise, in connection with his
official duties, having a well equipped and well
stocked store and securing a representative sup-
porting patronage. In July, 1901, he received
his appointment to the office of postmaster, and
in the handling of his official work in this con-
nection has gained unreserved popular approval
in the community. In his political allegiance he
is unswerving in his devotion to the grand old
Republican party, and in religious matters is
found numbered among the stanch members and
supporters of the Independent or Polish National
Church. He was a member of the synod of the
church which convened in Scranton in 1904. and



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



487



he is also a valued member of the Polish Na-
tional Alliance.

In the city of Nanticoke, Luzerne count}-,
1889, Air. Sliwinski married Christina Schafer,
born in Switzerland, whence she came with her
parents to America when a child. Mr. and Mrs.
Sliwinski have four children : John, Helen, Casi-
mere and Joseph.

JOHN KUTZKI. I-'ew men of foreign birth
have adapted themselves more readily to the cus-
toms and surroundings of their new home than
has John Kutzki, of Nanticoke. He is a son of
Joseph and Mercy Ann Kutzki, natives of Po-
land. Their family consisted of seven children,
all but one of whom are still in their native land.

John Kutzki, son of Joseph and JMercy Anna
Kutzki, was born August, i860, in Prussian Po-
land, and until reaching the age of eighteen at-
tended the public schools of his native land. In
1878 he emigrated to the United States and set-
tled in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where he
has ever since resided. With the exception of
live vears' residence in Plymouth, Nanticoke has
been his home since his arrival in this country.
Realizing that his ignorance of the English lan-
guage formed an insuperable obstacle to his ad-
vancement, he sought employment in the mines
as a means of familiarizing himself with the ac-
cents of the foreign tongue. He also attended
night school for a time and subsequently con-
tinued his study of English by himself until, in
the course of time, his perseverance conquered
every difficulty. In a few years he was able to
establish himself in the mercantile business,
which he conducts at the present time. He has
been for fourteen years employed as court inter-
preter for Luzerne county, a fact which in itself
fully demonstrates his mastery of the English
language. In i8g8 he was elected justice of the
peace, and for five years discharged the duties
of the office in a highlv creditable manner. He
is a member of Nanticoke Lodge, Order of
Heptasophs, and the Polish National Alliance.
In politics he is a Republican.

Mr. Kutzki married, September 19, 1885'
Anastasia Guriska, a native of Poland, and they
have one child: Josepha, who was born in 1887,
and is now a student at the Stroudsburg Normal
School.

JOSEPH E. SCOTT. The coal industry
can boast of few men more efficient than Joseph
E. Scott, of Pittston. He is a grandson of Gar-
rett Scott, one of the old residents of Union
township. His children were : Isaac, John,



Elisha, mentioned hereinafter ; Stephen, George,
Rebecca, Amy, Mary, Susan, Christine and Eliza-
beth. Late in life Air. Scott moved to Lake
township, where he passed the remainder of his
days, and where his death occurred.

Elisha Scott, son of Garret Scott, was born
in Union township, and was a miller by trade,
a calling which he followed until the breaking
out of the Civil war, when he enlisted as a pri-
vate in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-
third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infant-
ry. He fought bravely in defense of his flag,
and fell mortally wounded at the battle of
Hatcher's Run, February 7, 1865. His wife was
Elizabeth Frame, a native of the Catawissa Val-
ley, and their children were three in number,
two of them being now living: Joseph E., men-
tioned hereinafter ; and Elisha G, born February
4, 1865. The widow of Elisha Scott, whose
memory is still cherished as that of a martyr,
still survives.

Joseph E. Scott, son of Elisha and Elizabeth
(Frame) Scott, was born in 1858, in Union
township, Luzerne county, where he received his
education. In his youth he engaged in farming,
but later learned the carpenter's trade, at which
he labored for twenty-two years. For a num-
ber of years he was foreman of a carpenter force
for the Lehigh Valley Company, and then, be-
cause of his ability as a mechanic and his tact
in the management of the men under his control,
he was given the position of outside foreman of
Heidelberg colliery. No. 2. This colliery has
been in operation since 1887, and has one open-
ing, a shaft three hundred and sixty feet deep.
Mr. Scott has under his supervision a force of
one hundred and twenty men, and is in all re-
spects equal to the great responsibilities devolving
upon him. He has been with the company over
ten years, and during six of those years has held
the position of foreman. The mutations of busi-
ness have several times obliged Mr. Scott to
change his residence. While living in Union
township he held the office of assessor for six
years, and when a resident of Dorrancetown,
where his property is situated, he served in the
council of that borough. He is a member of
the Knights of Malta, and in politics is strongly
Republican.

Mr. Scott married in 1884, Nola, daughter
of Nathan and Sarah Hess, and they have two
children : Lulu and Ray.

JAMES E. BERGIN, a member of the firm
of James E. Bergin & Company, millers, of Nan-
ticoke, the other members being Michael Bergin,



488



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



his father, and E. R. Cable, was born in Oswego,
Tioga county, New York, 1864. This is one of
the leading and successful firms in Nanticoke
borough, and their mill is one of the old land-
marks in Plymouth township. It is situated on
Harvey's creek and is the only mill in Plymouth
township. It was built by Henry Yingst, a Ger-
man from Dauphin county, for Joshua Pugh
about 1832 or 1833, and since then it has passed
into the hands of various persons. In 1895 it
became the property of Michael and James E.
Bergin, who overhauled it and fitted it up with
steam power — seventy-five horse power — and
with the latest improved roller system. It was
formerly run b)- sixty horse water power. The
mill under its present management has a ca-
pacity of twenty-five barrels of flour, seventy-
five barrels of buckwheat and twenty tons of
feed, and they employ the services of from eight
to ten hands. Michael and James E. Bergin
conducted the business alone up to 1903, a period
of eight years, when Mr. Cable was admitted
to partnership.

-Michael Bergin (father) was born in Ireland,
from whence he emigrated to the United States
in 1847, locating in Oswego, New York, and be-
coming a most loyal and faithful subject of his
adopted country. He engaged in the general
mercantile business, which he continued until his
removal to Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, in 1886. In
1895, '" partnership with his son James E., he
purchased his present milling business as above
mentioned. In Oswego, New York, he married
Catherine McBeth, a native of Scotland, who
died June 9, 1903. Their children are : Isabella,
William H. and James E. Bergin.

James E. Bergin was reared in Oswego and
in the common schools of that city obtained a
practical education which prepared him for the
activities of life. For a number of years after
the completion of his studies he followed various
vocations, principally bookkeeping and account-
ing. In 1886 he took uo his residence in Nanti-
coke, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the
mercantile and milling business, continuing the
same up to 1895, in which year he entered into
partnership with his father and they purchased
their present milling property and established a
business, which is now one of the leading enter-
prises of that borough. Mr. Bergin has always
been a hard-working man. industriously winning
his way upward, and in so doing he has displayed
broad intelligence and liberal spirit, which has
gained for him universal esteem.

In 1887 Mr. Bergin married a Miss Starr.



a native of Oswego, New York, and their fam-
ily consists of two children : Catherine and
Douglass Bergin.

SAMUEL WHITSON. One of the old and
respected residents of Nanticoke is Samuel Whit-
son, a son of Seneca Whitson, who was born in
-Bretton township, Lancaster county, Pennsylva-
nia, and was by trade a cabinetmaker. He moved
to Wilkes-Barre, where for twelve years he was
foreman for two firms, serving seven years with
one and five with the other. He was sometimes
employed to run coal arks down the river as
far as Marietta, those being the early days of
coal production. From Wilkes-Barre he moved
to Nanticoke, where he lived and labored during
the remainder of his life. He was a first-class
mechanic and a useful citizen. As a young man
he served in the army during the war of 1812.
In religious belief he was a Friend.

Seneca Whitson married Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Samuel Wolmsdorph, a Pennsylvania Ger-
man, who about 1819 settled where Nanticoke
now stands. He was a blacksmith by trade and
a forgeman as well. His children were: Jordon,
a blacksmith ; Levi ; Samuel, a farmer ; Eliza-
beth, born in Nanticoke, married Seneca Whit-
son, as mentioned above ; Polly, whose husband,
James BuUen, was employed by Colonel Lee to
mine the first coal ever produdced in Nanticoke ;
Sarah, married G. Daly, a farmer ; and Jane,
married A. Snyder. Mr. and Mrs. Whitson were
the parents of the following children ; Albert,
Henry, Helen, Lucinda, Mary, Harriet and Sam-
uel, mentioned hereinafter, the only member of
the family now living, with the exception of
Henry, who served in the Civil war as a private
in the Fifty-second Regiment. Pennsylvania \'ol-
unteer Infantry, forming part of General Han-
cock's corps. He was taken prisoner at Reims'
Station, but finally escaped, returned to his com-
pany, and served to the close of the war.

Samuel Whitson, son of Seneca and Eliza-
beth (Wolmsdorph) Whitson, was born Au.gust
21, 1841, in Nanticoke, and received his educa-
tion in his native town. In 1856 he began to
work in the mines as driver and subsequently be-
came miner, a calling which he followed for four-
teen years. In 1884 he bought a farm in Salem
township, and for four years devoted himself to
its cultivation. At the end of that time he re-
turne<l to the mines, and now holds the position
of foreman for the Susquehanna Coal Company,
still retaining his ownershiji of the farm. He
is a member of Shickshimiy Lodge, No. 351.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



489



Free and Accepted Masons, and in politics is
a strong Republican. His church membership
is with the Methodist Episcopal denomination.

Mr. Whitson married in 1875, Jennie Mc-
Graw, of -Salem township, and two children were
born to them, one of whom, Bessie, is a teacher
in the Nanticoke high school.

ALVIN LAPE. One of the business pio-
neers of Nanticoke is Alvin Lape. He is de-
scended from German ancestors. He was born
January 20, 1839, in Nanticoke, fourth of the
seven children of Adam and Elizabeth (Croop)
Lape, both of whom were natives of Luzerne
county.

Alvin Lape was educated in the common
schools of Nanticoke, and on reaching his
twentieth year engaged in boating on the lower
Susquehanna. At the end of three years he
turned his attention to farming and at the same
time engaged in business as a butcher, and since
1863 he has devoted his entire time to the meat
business. His shop was the first of the kind
opened in Nanticoke, and was necessarily on a
small scale, but by strict application to business,
taking into account the increase in population,
his trade has grown to its present large propor-
tions. In 1870 he took as a partner J. H. Hil-
dreth, the firm being known as Lape & Conv
pany. In 1903 he purchased the interest of Mr.
Hildreth, and since that time has conducted the
business alone. His establishment covers three
lots in Nanticoke. and in addition to his home
shop he has a meat market in Glen Lyon, which
is conducted by one of his sons. He is also
interested in the ice business, usually packing
away about six thousand tons in a season. He
employs a number of men and keeps four
wagons constantly on the road, as well as two
ice wagons in their season. He is vice-president
of the Nanticoke National Bank, and a stock-
holder in that institution. Mr. Lape is a public-
spirited citizen, and for two years served as chief
of the Nanticoke fire department. He has repre-
sented his borough in the council and has ren-
dered service on the school board. He is a
-charter member of Nanticoke Lodge, No. 541,
F. and A. M. Politically he is a staunch Repub-
lican.

Mr. Lape married, July 10, 1863, Amelia
James, of Nanticoke, and the following children
liave been born to them : Bessie, who is married
to Frank Leavenworth, of Wilkes-Barre. two
•children : Franklin and Harriet. ( See Leaven-
worth family). Andrew C., bookkeeper for his



father. Carrie, wife of I. C. Leonard, of At-
lantic City, New Jersey, two children : Helen
and Amelia. Harry, who takes charge of his
father's market at Glen Lyon, married Celia
Williams, two children : Alvin and Clara. Helen,
deceased, married William Bittenbencler, one
child : William. Joseph. Frank.

HARRY M. iMORGAN, timekeeper for the
Susquehanna Coal Company, at Nanticoke, is a
son of the late Isaiah and Mary A. (Morgan)
Morgan, and his birth occurred in Glouscester-
shire. England, December 8, 1873.

He was reared and educated in his native
town, residing there until 1889, his sixteenth
year, when, attracted by the possibilities of suc-
cess in the business life of the United States, he
emigrated thither and located in Nanticoke,
Pennsylvania. He entered the employ of the
Susquehanna Coal Company, and in order to fit
himself more thoroughly for his work took a
course in mining engineering in the International
Correspondence School at Scranton. He began
as a driver boy in the mines and was advanced
from one duty to another until he attained that
of fireman, after which he became engineer, a
position he held four years. He was first placed
at a slope and later transferred to a shaft, this
being the most responsible position an engineer
can hold around the mines, and this promotion
was due entirely to his trustworthiness and fidel-
iv. In 1896 he was appointed to his present posi-
tion — timekeeper — the duties of which are to
keep the time of all the outside men and to re-
ceive the time of the inside men from the inside
foremen's book and report to the main office.
He has on his pay roll eight hundred and fifty
outside men and seven hundred and fify inside
men. Mr. Morgan is an Episcopalian in religion,
and a Republican in politics.

Mr. Morgan married, July i, 1895, Annie
Coppin, born in England. 1875, but was reared
and educated in the United States. Their chil-
dren are : Arthur, Edgar, Ethel, Helen, and
Harold. By thrift and economy Mr. Morgan
accumulated sufficient capital to purchase a
home at No. 1009 Hanover street. Nanticoke,
which is a model of beauty and neatness. The
family are highly respected in the community,
holding a prominent place in the best social cir-
cle.

S. B. ADKINS, justice of the peace at
Shickshinny. Pennsylvania, was born at Townhill
township, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, Oc-



490



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



tober 13, 1858. He is a descendant of an old
English family, who emigrated to this country
in 1730, settling in Vermont. Thomas Adkins,
great-great-grandfather of S. B. Adkins, came
to America as an English soldier, but soon seeing
the justice of the Colonists in their struggle for
independence espoused their cause. His son,
Isaiah Adkins, also lent his aid in the great
struggle for independence. Isaiah married
Rhoda Collins, and to them was born one son,
Samuel Adkins, the grandfather of S. B. Adkins.
Samuel participated in the war of 1812. In 1820
he removed to the Lackawanna Valley, and
there married Hannah Hicks, who bore him the
following children : Luther C, Andrew J., Ben-
jamin, Rhoda C, Mary, Harriet and Elizabeth.

Andrew J. Adkins, second son of Samuel
Adkins and father of S. B. Adkins, was born in
Mehoopany township, Wyoming county, Penn-.
sylvania, in 1828. He was a merchant tailor and
conducted quite an extensive business. He held
every office of distinction which the borough of
Shic'kshinny could confer upon him, and is now
living a retired life in Shickshinny. He married
Mary J. Kocker, born in Shickshinny, in 1835,
and who is still living. To them were born the
following children : S. B., Martha J., Mason H.
and Wiiber R. Luther C. Adkins, brother of
Andrew J. Adkins, was a soldier in the Mexican
war. Another brother, Benjamin, served in the
war of the Rebellion, and his son, W. R., partici-
pated in the Spanish-American war.

S. B. Adkins, son of Andrew J. and Martha
J. (Kocker) Adkins, was born in Luzerne coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, October 13, 1858. He was
reared and educated at Shickshinny, and immed-
iatelv after leaving the schoolroom entered the
drug business for a time, and later became ident-
ified with the West End Coal Company as out-
side foreman. In 1888 he was elected to the
office of councilman, which position he retained
for five years. In 1895 he was elected to the po-
sition of justice of the peace, of Shickshinny,
which office he has held for ten years. He is
considered one of the leading men of his town,
and during the period he has been in office has
won the respect and admiration of his towns-
people. In 1896 he was elected to the office of
burgess of the borough. The study of geology
has occupied a portion of Judge Adkin's time
and attention, and he has in his possession a
choice collection of mineral specimens and In-
dian relics, which he contemplates turning over
to the borough as a gift to Shickshinny and a
monument to his own memory. He is a mem-



ber and past master of Svlvania Lodge, No. 354,
F. and A. M.

In 1893 S. B. Adkins married Elsie Allegar.
There have been no children born to this union.

DANIEL HILL. The family of which Dan-
iel Hill, a prosperous agriculturist of Salem
township, is a representative, is among the old
and respected families of that section of Luzerne
county, they having resided there since 1816.
The first of the Hills to come to this vicinity
was Frederick Hill, grandfather of Daniel Hill,
who migrated from Kutztown, Pennsylvania, and
purchased two hundred acres of land in Salem
township, which he cultivated and improved, and



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 101 of 130)