Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 11 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 11 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

consulted upon national affairs by Presidents
Madison, Monroe and Adams, and also by Clay,
Webster and Everett. He accompanied General
Lafayette through New England on his last visit
to this country. Jacob Taylor published,
1702-46, an almanac which was the predecessor
of Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanac," and for
which he made his own astronomical calcula-

tions. Othei- members of the family were : Pres-
ident Zachary Taylor, Bayard Taylor, author
and poet ; Brook Taylor, the "water poet," and
Tom Taylor, once editor of the unique London
Punch. In the American family was William
H, Taylor, grandfather of him of the same name,
and to whom this narrative principally relates.
He was a native of Birmingham, England, the
son of a silversmith, and came to the United
States and located in Paterson, New Jersey. He
brought with him considerable means and lived
in pleasant retirement. He married Mary White,
and to them were born children : William H.,
James, John, George, Charles, Joseph, Emma,
Sarah and [Mary. He died in Newark, New
Jersey, at the venerable age of eighty-six years,
surviving his wife, who died at the age of sixty-
six years.

William H. Taylor, father of the subject of
this sketch, son of William H. and Mary (White)
Taylor, was born in Birmingham, England, in
1826, and was six years old when his parents
came to the United States. It is an agreeable
task to epitomize so active and useful a life. Ed - "
ucated in Paterson, New Jersey, he early evinced
a special talent for mechanics, and at an early
age was indentured to Charles Danforth, a me-
chanical engineer in that city. After completing
his apprenticeship he spent several years visiting
the more important manufactories throughout the
country, in quest of a larger technical knowledge.
In 1852 he made a trip to California, but re-
turned in a short time to assume a responsible
position. In 1865, on account of the failing
health of his wife, he visited Europe with her,,
and while there further added to his knowledge
of mechanics. On his return in the following
year he became associated with the Watson Man-
ufacturing Company at Paterson, New Jersey,
but discontinued his connection with this enter-
prise a year later to embark in a new venture in
the same city, and in which he was destined to
lay the foundations for his subsequent extensive
operations as a manufacturing dealer in ma-
chiner}- and machinists' supplies A large pro-
portion of his trade coming from Pennsylvania,
and especially from the mining districts, he
deemed it advisable to find a location more con-
venient to that field, and in 1870 removed his
business to Allentown, where he conducted it
with great success until his death, June 4, 1880,
having meantime (in 1876) made another tour
of Europe for rest and recuperation. He was
a man of the highest mechanical ability, and all
his transactions were governed bv the loftiest in-



tegritv, whether in the routine of mechanical
labors or in his financial relations with those
with whom he dealt. Of strong convictions of
right, he was tenacious in maintaining what his
judgment approved, and his strong intellect was
fortified by a great will power. Yet he was ever
just and considerate with his equals or his sub-
ordinates, and jiever permitted pride or self-
interest to lead him to the perpetration of an in-
justice. He was a man of striking personality,
commanding in figure, with a handsome coun-
tenance reflecting strength of character, and a
well dispositioned mind. He was a Republican
in politics, and maintained the principles of his
party with a degree of vigor and enthusiasm
which admitted of no question of his sincerity
in the conviction that upon them depended the
interests and honor of the country. In 185 1 he
married Catherine G. Deeths, daughter of Nich-
olas and Ann Deeths, and to them were born
three children : Emma G., who became the wife
of Arthur D. Troxell ; Cassie G., who became
the wife of Albert G. Wheeler, and William H.

William H. Taylor, youngest child of William
H. and Catherine G. (Deeths) Taylor, passed
his early boyhood in Paterson, New Jersey,
and Allentown, Pennsylvania, and attended the
public schools in both thes^ities. He then pur-
sued advanced studies in Dickinson Seminary,
but left that institution when eighteen years old
to enter his father's machinery supply house in
a clerical capacit}', and was thus closely associ-
ated with the parent until the death of the lat-
ter, when he took the business in charge. He
had gained a familiar knowledge of its every de-
partment, and constantly developed it to larger
proportions, conducting it successfully until
1884, when he established the Scranton Supply
and Machinery Company at Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania, and in 1889 opened the Hazelton Ala-
chinery and Supply Company at Hazelton, Penn-
sylvania. The offices and salesrooms are at 131
Wyoming avenue, while the major portion of
the stock is stored in a large warehouse along
the tracks of the Delaware & Hudson and the
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroads.
The stock comprises tools of all kinds for me-
chanics and machinists, mine and mill supplies
of every description, and includes many special-
ties from the most eminent manufacturers of the
country in special lines.

Mr. Taylor is one of the largest individual
coal operators in the state. He was counsellor
for the St. Clair Coal Company, of which he is

president, in the anthracite strike commission.
He is also president of the Franklin Coal Com-
panv, and is actively identified with many other
local commercial and financial enterprises, nd
is also president of the Goodwin Car Company
of New York, is a director in the Coal and Iron
National Bank of New York City, and a mem-
ber of the New York Chamber of Commerce.
He is a member of the Scranton Club, the Coun-
try Club, both of Scranton ; the National Geo-
graphic Society, the American Academy of Po-
litical and Social Science, and others. He is an
active Free Mason, having attained the thirty-
second degree, Scottish Rite. He is a member
of First Church of Christ, Scientist, New York
City, and in politics is a Republican.

Mr. Taylor married Miss Nellie G. Barker,
daughter of the late Samuel G. Barker, sketch
of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Of
this marriage have been born four children : Nel-
lie Grace, deceased ; Alice Marion, William H.,
Jr., and John D. Higgins.

ELI AS W. THOMPSON, one of the pro-
gressive business men of Factoryville, Pennsyl-
vania, where he has resided since 1886, was born
in Union, Broome county, New York, March 17,
1876, a son of William H. and Sophia (Winans)
Thompson, natives and residents of New Y'ork
State, whose family consisted of three other chil-
dren, namely : Fred M., Elizabeth and Anna.
He is a grandson of Hugh and Elizabeth Thomp-
son, both natives of Ireland, and great-grandson
of William Thompson, the founder of the Amer-
ican branch of the family, who emigrated froin
his native country, Ireland, to the United States,
settling in New York State, where he devoted
his time and attention to agricultural pursuits.

Elias W. Thompson is indebted to the com-
mon schools of his native township for a prac-
tical education, which qualified him for a life
of usefulness and activity. At the earlv age of
twelve years he engaged in the flouring mill busi-
ness at Lisle, New York, remaining three years.
He then returned to his home in Union, New
Y'ork, where he was employed in the same busi-
ness up to his removal to Factoryville, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1886. He at once secured employment
with Christopher Matthewson, who was one of
the prominent business men of that city, owning
and operating an extensive flouring mill. This
gentleman later became his, father-in-law, and
he continued his connection with the business up
to the time of the decease of Mr. Matthewson,.
in 1901, when he took entire control of the es-



tate, which is quite extensive, consisting of farms,
mill and villag-e property. Mr. Thompson added
improved machiner_\- of the best and latest pat-
tern to the plant operated by Mr. Matthewson,
and by this means the business increased to a
large extent. From 1899 to 1903, a period of
four vears, Mr. Thompson, in connection with
his milling and other industries, was engaged in
mercantile business at Factoryville, but on ac-
count of the extensive increase in his milling
business was forced to dispose of his store, sell-
ing the same to Mr. Walton.

In addition to looking after his own interests,
Mr. Thompson is actively and prominently iden-
tified with the growth and development of the
borough of Factoryville. He was the prime
mover in the erection of the Factoryville Tele-
phone Company, which later was consolidated
with the Centermoreland Telephone Company,
with a stock capital of fifty thousand dollars, in
which corporation he is a large stockholder. He
is serving in the capacity of secretary and treas-
urer of the Nokomis Water Company of Fac-
tor\'ville. In politics he is at heart a Prohibi-
tionist, but in great issues casts his vote with
the Republican party, in the ranks of which or-
ganization may be found many who are in sym-
pathv with and assist in promulgating the prin-
ciples of the Prohibition party. Mr. Thompson
is a man of strict integrity, honorable and up-
right alike in his business dealings and social re-

In 1889 Mr. Thompson was united in mar-
riage to Emma Matthewson, daughter of Chris-
topher and Lorinda (Reynolds) Matthewson.
They are the parents of one daughter, Ruth

son, Sr., the progenitor of the Sanderson family
in America, is mentioned in early records found in
Hampton, Massachusetts, from which place he
removed to Watertown, Massachusetts, as early
as 1643, ^"d where, October 15, 1645, he mar-
ried Mary Eggleston. How long he had lived in
Hampton, whether born there or England, or
whether he was the first of the ancestors to reach
this country, is not definitely known.

(II) Deacon Jonathan Sanderson, eldest
child of Edward Sanderson, born in Watertown,
September 15, 1646; married in Cambridge, Mas-
sachusetts, October 24, 1669, Abiah Bartolph,
youngest daughter of Ensign Thomas and Han-
nah P.artlett, of Watertown.

(III) Samuel Sanderson, sixth child of

Jonathan Sanderson, born May 28, 1G81, settled
in Watertown; married, April 13, 1708, Mercy
Gale ; was killed by lightning July 8, 1722.

(IV) Abraham Sanderson, son of Samuel
Sanderson, born in Watertown, March 28, 171 1;
married December 6, 1733, to Patience Smith and
settled in Lunenburg, Massachusetts. He had
thirteen children, of whom Jacob was the fourth.

(\') Jacob Sanderson, fourth child of Ab-
raham Sanderson, was born in 1738.

(VI) Jacob Sanderson, fourth child of Jacob
Sanderson, married Elizabeth Childs, and set-
tled in Lunenburg, Massachusetts.

(VII) Jacob Sanderson, their youngest
child, born October 17, 1770; married, November
12, 1807, to Jerusha Gardner, a daughter of Cap-
tain Lemuel Gardner, of Boston, and settled in
that city. Captain Gardner was the first com-
mander of the Ancient and Honorable Company
of Artillery of Boston.

(VIII) Hon. George Sanderson, second son
of Jacob and Jerusha Sanderson, was born in
Boston, of Puritan stock, Februarv 25, 1810, and
received his education at the Boston Latin School.-
Shortly after leaving this institution he went to
New York, where for awhile he was in the em-
ployment of a relative in commercial pursuits.
From there his fortunes led him to Geneva, New
York, where he married Marion Kingsburj',
daughter of Colonel Joseph Kingsbury, of Shese-
quin, Bradford county, Pennsylvania. (Colonel
Kingsbury was a large landed proprietor, and the
active general agent of other large owners. The
homestead and part of the original estate is now
occupied by the widow of his youngest son, hav-
ing laeen purchased by O. D. Kinney, a son-in-
law, of Minneapolis.) This marriage led Mr.
Sanderson to Towanda, the county seat of Brad-
ford, where he entered upon the practice of law,
and soon took a leading position. He became
district attorney, and for six years held the ofifice,
discharging its duties in the most able and con-
scientious manner. At the expiration of that
time he resigned in order to attend to his private
business. Subsequently he was elected to the
state senate, where in 1853 he made the acquaint-
ance of Colonel George W. Scranton, with whom
he co-operated in securing legislation that was
deemed necessary for the success of the enterprise
that the latter had undertaken, and who impressed
him with the importance of Scranton and its
probable future. On the solicitation of Colonel
Scranton, Mr. Sanderson visited this city for the
first time, in 1854, and again in 1855, when he
purchased the Elisha Hitchcock farm, now cov-


■ered by the finest residences in Scranton. Shortly
after this he removed with his family from To-
wanda, having first erected a residence (on the
site of which now stands one of the handsomest
Young Men's Christian Association buildings in
the country), and organized the banking house of
-George Sanderson & Company, the firm con-
"sisting of himself and his brother-in-law. Burton
Kingsbury, Esq. This house was merged into
the Lackawanna \'alley Savings Bank, and later
into the Lackawanna Trust and Safe Deposit
Company, one of the strongest and most conser-
vative financial institutions in the city. He then
commenced laying out streets, which resulted in
■opening Washington, Adams and Wyoming ave-
nues, from Spruce to Vine streets, which to-day
contain some of the most valuable residence prop-
erty in the city. He donated to public use the
lots upon which the new high school building is
being erected, and was twice elected burgess of
the place of his adoption. Having disposed of
most of the Hitchcock farm and feeling ready to
rest, he purchased a beautiful home in German-
town, and moved there. But lifelong habits were
strong, and he fovuid what was intended for rest
was, in reality, labor, so he again took up his
work and became president of a coal company
with offices in Philadelphia. On this being pur-
chased by the Reading Coal Company, he moved
back to Scranton, having purchased a large tract
of land in the northern outskirts, where he erected
a mansion, and developed what is now the most
attractive suburban portion of the city. His
policy in building up Green Ridge exhibited, in
the strongest sense, his wisdom and foresight.
Commencing himself by constructing the Scran-
ton and Providence street railroad, he succeeded
in drawing about him a delightful community of
taste and refinement that has continued to grow
chiefly on the lines he laid down for it.

After a long and active life, i\Ir. Sanderson
died in April, 1886, followed very shortly by his
wife. He left four children : J. Gardner, George,
Anna K., and Marion, the latter being the wife
of Edward B. Sturges, Esq. Mr. Sanderson ac-
quired the reputation of a sound, safe, public-
spirited man. As a judge of real estate values,
and the probability of development, he was espe-
cially sound, and made very few mistakes, and to
him more than to any other citizen is Scranton
indebted for the development of the spirit that
has given such an artistic character to its com
fortable homes. He died regretted by all who
knew him, and left a large impress on many in-
stitutions in this thrivine citv.

The Kingsbury family, from which the chil-
dren of George Sanderson, of Scranton, are de-
scended in the maternal line, was founded in
America by Henry Kingsbury, who came from
England in 1630 and settled at Haverhill, iMassa-
chusetts. He had eight children of whom Joseph
was the seventh.

(H) Lieutenant Joseph Kingsbury, ser-
enth child of Henry, born 1656, removed from
Haverhill to Norwich, West Farms, now Frank-
lin county, Connecticut, and married Love Ayer,
daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Ayer, of
Haverhill, April 12, 1679. He died April 2, 1741,
and his wife died April 24, 1735.

(HI) Captain Nathaniel Kingsbury, son of
Joseph, settled in Andover, Connecticut, after
having lived in Norwich, and married Hannah
Dennison in 1709. He died in Andover, Septem-
ber 18, 1763, and his wife died May 14, 1772.

(IV) Deacon Joseph Kingsbury, son of Na-
thaniel, born in Hampton, May 27, 1721, settled
in Tolland, and later removed to Enfield, Connec-
ticut. Alarch 5, 1745, he married Mary, daugh-
ter of Sergeant Thomas and Sarah Looms, of
Bolton. He was a rigid Calvinist in religion.

(\') Lemuel Kingsbury, son of Joseph, born
in Bolton, November 13, 1702, married December
23, 1773, Alice Terry, daughter of Samuel and
Mary Terry, of Enfield.

(\T) Colonel Joseph Kingsbury, son of
Lemuel, born in Enfield, Connecticut, May 19.
1774, in 1795 removed from his father's home
there to Sheshequin, then in Bradford county,
Pennsylvania. He married Anna Spalding,
daughter of General Simon and Ruth (Shepherd)
Spalding, April 21, 17971 ?), and among their ten'
children was Marion W. Kingsbury, born Sep-
tember 18, 1816, and became the wife of George
Sanderson, Sr., and the mother of George San-
derson, of Scranton.

Of the Spalding family, from whom the chil-
dren of George Sanderson are descended in their
mother's maternal line, the records show three
branches. The progenitor of one branch came
from Scotland and settled in Georgia ; the other
two came from Lincolnshire, England. One of the
Lincolnshire branches settled in Maryland, and
from it sprang the late Archbishop Martin John
Spalding, of Baltimore. The progenitor of the
Spaldings in this country was Edward Spalding,
Sr., who emigrated from the town of Spalding,
England, to America, between 1630 and 1633.
His name first appears on the records of the town
of Braintrce, Massachusetts. His first wife, Mar-
garet, died there, in 1640. 2. Benjamin Spald-


ing, son of Edward Spalding and his second
wife, married and settled in Plainfield, Connecti-
cut. His son (3), Simon Spalding, born Novem-
ber 7, 1714, married Annie BillingsJ June, 1737,
and settled at Plainfield. General Simon Spald-
ing (4), son of Simeon, was born in Plainfield,
January 16, 1742: April 15, 1761, married Ruth
Shepherd, Plainfield. Anna Spalding (5), daugh-
terof General Simon Spalding, born July 2, 1771,
at Sheshequin, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania ;
there married Joseph Kingsbury. Marion Kings-
bury (6), the eighth of the ten children of Joseph
and Anna Kingsbury, born September 18, 1816,
became the wife of George Sanderson, October

29, 1835-

Edward Spalding, the founder of this branch
of the family, was made a freeman May 16, 1640,
in Braintree, Massachusetts. This shows him to
have been a member of the established church of
the province, for under the old laws this was a
necessary requisite to becoming a freeman. He
was mentioned in a petition, dated October i,
1645, to the general court of Massachusetts, to set
off from Braintree a new town for settlement.
Among other names to the petition are Samuel
Adams and John Adams, showing Braintree to
have then included the town of Quincy. The
name of Edward Spalding next appears in con-
nection with the settlement of Chelmsford. The
second petition was granted by the general court
May 18, 1665. The northern boundary of the
town, on petition of Edward Spalding and others,
was extended to the Merrimac river, Ma\- 3, 1656.
This extension was called New Field, and the
records show that among the proprietors were
Edward Spalding, Sr., Edward Spalding, Jr.,
and John Spalding. This New Field is probably
included, as well as a part of Chelmsford, in the
city of Lowell. Later a tract of land on the Mer-
rimac river, near Pawtucket Fall, called Wame-
sett, was sold to forty-six joint proprietors, who
built on the south side extending from the Merri-
mac to the Concord river. This settlement was
annexed to Chelmsford in 1726, and among the
forty-six proprietors were Edward Spalding, Jr.,
Joseph Spalding, John Spalding, Jr., Joseph
Spalding, Benjamin Spalding and Andrew Spald-
ing, being the five sons and one grandson of Ed-
waid Spalding, Sr.

Edward Spalding removed to Chelmsford at
or about the time of the first setilement of that
town in 1653, and at the first town meeting, No-
vember 22, 1654, was chosen one of the select-
men. He was also chosen selectman in 1656,
1660, and 1661. In 1663 he was surveyor of

New Field, afterward called North Chelmsford.
From his descendants who settled in Chelmsford,,
there went out an immigration of about seven-
teen hundred to Plainfield, Connecticut. In the
Historical and Genealogical Records of New Eng-
land is found among the immigrants the names of
John Spalding, Joseph Spalding, Edward and
Benjamin Spalding, sons and grandsons of Ed-
ward Spalding, Sr. October 10, 1706, the gen-
eral court of Connecticut was petitioned for more
ample confirmation of title, and among the pro-
prietors' names are the four Spaldings mentioned

General Simon Spalding was third son of Si-
mon Spalding, of Plainfield, Connecticut, who was
bron November 7, 1714, and married Annie Bill-
ings in June, 1737. General Simon Spalding
married Ruth Shepherd, April 15, 1761. He was
of the Connecticut colony emigrating to Pennsyl-
vania under the name of the Susquehanna Com-
pany, formed in 1754 at Hartford, Connecticut.
He settled in the Wyoming Valley, now Wilkes-
Barre, in 1771. His marriage, however, and the
birth of his three eldest children, occurred in
Plainfield, Connecticut. He first settled on a tract
of land extending from the Susquehanna river
toward the mountains, on which he built a house,
and he and his family lived there until after the
Revolution. This homestead, from the descrip-
tion in the deed, was the same that Judge Ross
afterward owned, and a part of the house which
Simon Spalding built was supposed to be a part
of the modern structure, because of the known,
antiquity of that part, of the Ross family on Main-
street. After selling that property Simon Spald-
ing removed to Sheshequin, Ltizerne county. It
is believed that the war that was threatening
between the Connecticut and the Pennsylvania
claims moved Mr. Spalding to sell the disputed
title affecting all the Connecticut settlers and
those holding under them. The feeling resultant
from this dispute was so fierce and violent that it
led to bloodshed and precipitated a feud lasting
for several years, until congress interposed and by
the treaty of Trenton opened the way for settle-
ments. Simon Spalding was at first a lieutenant
in the company of which Mr. Rawson was cap-
tain, which was enlisted in the Revolutionary
war, from Wilkes-Barre to Plymouth. Two com-
panies originally existed, but were so reduced
from various causes that at Germantown, before
or after the battle there, the}' united. In the
fusion Lieutenant Spalding was made captain,
and the reorganized companv hurried to Wilkes-
Barre for the defense of the settlers against



the Indians and Tories. The company reached
Wilkes-Barre two or three da}s too late to be of
service in a battle which ended with what is
known in history as the Wyoming massacre.
Captain Spalding remained with his company at
Wilkes-Barre until they joined with General Sul-
livan's army on its way north for the defense of
the frontier. Captain Spalding and his company
encamped for some time in the valley below Tioga
Point, the spot where the whole army rested
while awaiting the arrival from the north of Gen-
•eral Clinton. It was there and then that he was
first attracted by the Sheshequin Valley, and he
decided to remove there after the war. His
brother, John Spalding, also settled there on a
farm adjoining his own, and from him, on the
maternal side, came the family of Welles at Tioga
Point. Captain Spalding was subsequently joined
to the armjr of Washington, was at Yalley Forge
.and Princeton, and served during the war and
to its close. The records at Washington show a
settlement with him as captain in the Continental
-army. He was afterward made general of mili-
tia, and was known by that military title.

James Gardner Sanderson, eldest son of
George Sanderson, whose descent partially is
■shown in the foregoing genealogies, was born in
Towanda, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and

Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 11 of 130)