Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 112 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 112 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


test of experience. He is a member of Caotain
Rice Post, No. 211, G. A. R., of Factoryville. in
which he has filled all the offices of trust. Politi-
cally he is an ardent Republican, and enjoys the



538



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



distinction of having voted for every president
elected by that organization from Lincoln to
Roosevelt.

Mr. Reynolds married, October 14, 1858,
Philena M., daughter of Isaac and Rebecca
(Redrick) Reynolds, and the following children
vvere born to them : Frank L., Hattie J., Katie J.,
and Mabel. Of these all are now deceased with
the exception of the last-named, who is the wife
of Charles H. Co.x and the mother of two chil-
dren : Helen Reynolds and Ruth Dimock. Frank
L. Reynolds, the eldest of the family, married,
March 10, 1897, Mary E. Williams, of Washing-
ton, District of Columbia, and two children were
born to them: Kenneth M. and Crispin C. The
death of this eldest child and only son of Mr.
and Mrs. Reynolds occurred June 29, 1903. Al-
though Mr. Reynolds has now relinquished the
active labors of the farm, he is frequently sought
as a counsellor by those engaged in agricultural
pursuits, in relation to which his word carries
great weight for the reason that he is regarded
as an unimpeachable authority on all the details
of husbandry.

HENRY H. BURSCHEL, whose connection
with the dairy business in the city of Scranton,
Pennsylvania, extends over a period of twenty-
five years, during which time his success has
been beyond his most sanguine expectations, is a
worthy representative of the upright and stable
German element. Although of foreign birth and
with few friends and limited means when he
came to Scranton and launched out in this busi-
ness, yet by close observance of business princi-
ples and a strict adherence to honest and upright
dealings he has won a high place for himself in
the community, and has endeared himself to
numberless friends, who commend him for his
integrity and worthiness.

Henry H. Burschel was born in Germany,
April 22, 1856, a son of John and Christina
(Shifler) Burschel, natives of Germany, who
reared a family of two sons and one daughter,
one son and the daughter residing in the father-
land. John Burschel died a few years ago, fol-
lowed one year later by his widow, and their
remains were interred in their native land.

Henry H. Burschel was indebted to the com-
mon schools of his native land for his educational
advantages. At the age of seventeen years he
emigrated to the L^nited States, arriving in the
city of New York in November, 1873. He at
once located in Archbald, Pennsylvania, where
he followed agricultural pursuits for several
years, removing from thence to Scranton, in



1880, where he immediately engaged in his pres-
ent business. While not an old man by any
means, yet he has been for a longer period of
time identified with this line of work than any
other man in Scranton. Mr. Burschel has been
for many years an honored and devoted member
of the German Presbyterian church, of which
body he has been president for the past eight
years. In politics he is an ardent Republican,
strenuously advocating its principles of progress
and prosperity, to which he attributes his success
in busineSls aflfairs. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Hyde Park
Lodge, No. 956; and of the Knights of the Gol-
den Eagle, No. 388.

In October, 1880, Mr. Burschel was united
in marriage to Henrietta Shifler, daughter of
Henry and Elizabeth Shifler, and a native of
Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania. Five chil-
dren were born of this union, three of whom are
living, namely : Mamie, Louise and George. Mr.
and Mrs. Shifler, parents of Mrs. Burschel, are
natives of Germany, from whence they emigrated
to the United States in early life, locating in
Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, where they
were married and reared a family of children,
who became good and loyal citizens of the com-
monwealth, filling various offices of trust and
responsibility.

JOHN S. BOUR, of Scranton, Lackawanna
county, Pennsylvania, is an example of those
men who by a close application and strict adher-
ence to the business in hand has made for them-
selves a place in the confidence and respect of
the companies for which they labor. He holds
the position of car inspector for the Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Railroad, having held
the incumbency for sixteen consecutive years. He
was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Febru-
ary 2, 1856, a son of John B. and Margaretta
(Dufour) Bour, both natives of France, who em-
igrated to this country in 1853, locating at
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, where their deaths
occurred, respectively, 1875, 1881. John B. Bour
(father) was a contractor and builder, well
known and highly respected in the various com-
munities in which he resided. Their family con-
sisted of four children, all of whom attained
years of maturity, namely ; Mary, Margaret,
John S. and Sophia.

John S. Bour received a common school edu-
cation in his native city, Wilkes-Barre, where he
remained until 1873, in which year he removed
to Scranton, where he has since resided. Like
most bovs reared in mining towns, his first cm-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



539



ployment was at the breaker, where he spent
some time, but, desiring to improve his condition
and hew out for himself a course in Hfe by which
he could aspire to a higher and more lucrative
position, he turned his attention to the carpenter
trade. In 1884 he was employed in the shops of
the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Company,
where he plied his trade four years, and at the
e.xpiration of this period of time was promoted
to his present position, car inspector. In connec-
tion with this for two years he has been joint
inspector for the N. Y., O. & W. and the D. &
H. companies. In politics he is independent; he
has never been actively connected with political
affairs, but keeps posted on the subject and takes
an interest in matters conducing to the progress
of the people. Mr. Bour is a member of the
order of Heptasophs, also of the Delaware, Lack-
awanna & Western Beneficiary Society.

In 1877 ^l^''- Bour was united in marriage to
Miss Agatha Ramminger, daughter of Lawrence
and Susanna (Alyers) Ramminger, natives of
Germany, who emigrated in the earl fifties and
settled in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Twelve chil-
dren were the issue of this union: John L., a
blacksmith ; Lawrence J., an advertising agent ;
Paul J., a car inspector; Susanna M. ; William
v., an ornamental plasterer; Louis J., a student
at the Pontifical College ; Josephinum, located at
Columbus, Ohio ; Margaretta J. ; Joseph J. ; Anna
M. ; Casper J.; Mary T. ; and Louisa M.
The family is held in high esteem in the commu-
nity, and have a host of friends.

JOHN B. SMITH. One of the chief reli-
ances of every community is that class of truly
useful and unostentatiously public-spirited citi-
zens which is worthily represented by John B.
Smith, of Scranton. The parents of ]\Ir. Smith,
John B. and Sarah (Bradshaw) Smith, natives
of England, came in 1869 to the United States
and settled at Pittston, where the death of the
former occurred in 1894, and where the latter
is still living in the home which was the abode
of herself and her husband for many years.

John B. Smith, son of John B. and Sarah
Smith, was born in 1865, in Manchester, Eng-
land, and during his early childhood was brought
by his parents to the United States. He is an
experienced engineer, and for a number of years
has been in the service of the Erie Coal Com-
pany. He is an honorary member of the Eagle
Hose Company of Pittston, and also of the fa-
mous drill team of the same company. His polit-
ical affiliations are with the Republicans, the
men and measures advocated and supported bv



whom he strongly upholds with his vote and
inuflence. Mr. Smith married, October 30, 1890,
Florence Miller, who is widely and favorably
known as an exceptionally enlightened and skill-
ful exponent of the principles of massage.

Mrs. Smith belongs to one of the pioneer
families of Abington township. Caleb Aliller
was the father of five sons, four of whom served
in the Union army during the Civil war. Of
these, Wilson Miller lost his Hfe on the battle-
field, and Albert was for some time confined in
Libby prison. Frank Miller, who was pre-
vented by the claims of duty from following his
soldier brothers to the field, married Hester,,
daughter of the Reverend Lewis Miller, a brother
of Caleb, mentioned above. Of the twelve chil-
dren born to them eight are now living: James
D. ; Delia, who married Louis Smith ; George H. ;
Wilson E. ; Florence I., who became the wife of
John B. Smith, as mentioned above ; Alice R.,
who is the wife of John Jermyn ; Lou Anne, who
married Frederick Pahler; and Earl W.. who
served during the Spanish-American war in
Company C, Ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers. Mrs. Smith is a native of Susquehanna
county, born in 1869.

MICHAEL J. MACKIN. In the ranks of
the younger men of Lackawanna county who are
engaged in the coal industry Michael J. Mackin,
of Scranton, fills an honorable place. His father,
Patrick !Mackin, was born in Ireland, whence
he emigrated in 1868 to the United States. He
was a miner, and made his home in the coal
regions of Pennsylvania, where men of his call-
ing were sure to find employment. His wife
was Catherine Grimes, also a native of Ireland,
and they were the parents of ten children : John.
Mary, Delia, James, Alichael J., mentioned at
length hereinafter : Patrick H., Sadie, and Anna.
Mr. Mackin, the worthy father of this family, lost
his life in a mine accident. His widow is still
living (1905).

jMichael J. Mackin, son of Patrick and Cath-
erine (Grimes) Mackin, was born September
24, 1875, in IMinooka, Lackawanna county, and
up to his seventh year attended the common
schools. Such was his desire for knowledge
that from that time until he reached his twenty-
third year, he attended night school, where he
acquired a fair education. This not satisfying
him, he took a course in the Scranton Business
College, thereby fitting himself for any offices of
trust and responsibility to which he might in the
future be appointed. He then took a mechanical
course in the International Correspondence



540



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



School of Scranton. During all this time he was
leading a life of severe physical toil. When but
seven years of age he entered the services of the
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Company,
and passed through the various stages of outside
employment, rising step by step until April, 1899,
when he was appointed outside foreman of the
Bellevue colliery. This colliery was opened in
1854. The number of hands employed is nine
hundred, and of this number two hundred and
fifty are under the special supervision of Mr.
Mackin. All the output of coal and all supplies
entering the mine must pass through his hands,
or the hands of those who represent him. The
importance of the trust involved in such a posi-
tion will readily be perceived. Mr. Mackin is a
stockholder in the Keystone Bank of Scranton,
and a director in the Taylor Building and also
in the Loan Association. The social affiliations of
Mr. Mackin are with the Knights of Columbus,
the Modern Woodmen of America and the St.
Brendon Council, Young Men's Institute of
Hvde Park. Mr. Mackin married, June 29, 190.S,
Kathryn Ruddy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.
M. Ruddy. Mr. Mackin owns a beautiful home
in the Lincoln Heights section of the city in
which he resides.

J. FRED SCHWENK. The career of J.
Fred Schwenk, who is serving in the capacity
of register clerk in the Scranton postoffice, is a
striking illustration of what may be accomplished
by well directed energy, steadfast purpose and
never-ceasing effort. He is a native of Scranton,
Pennsylvania, born August 26, 1864, the young-
est child in the family of John Schwenk and his
wife Catherine E. Greenburg, nee Schmidt.

John Schwenk (father) was born, reared and
educated in Germany, from whence he emigrated
to the new world locating in Paterson, New Jer-
sey, in which city he was married. While a resi-
dent of Paterson he learned the trade of soap
making, which proved a lucrative means of liveli-
hood, and which he followed until failing
health compelle<l him to retire from business re-
sponsibilities. In i860 he removed to Scranton,
Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the manu-
facture of soap of various kinds, both hard and
soft, and also in the manufacture of candles. In
1865 he purchased a block of ground at Wash-
ington and Elm streets, whereon he erected a fac-
tory and conducted business several vears. He
is a member of the German Presbyterian church,
his wife having also been a member during her
lifetime. He is an honored member of the Ma-
sonic fraternity. He is living at the present time



(1904), aged seventy-six years, having passed
the allotted scriptural time of three score years
and ten. His wife, who was born in 1823 and
died in 1898, bore him three children, as follows :
Henry, deceased ; Augusta, deceased ; and J.
Fred, mentioned at length hereafter. She had
also one son by a former marriage, namely :
Charles F. Greenburg.

J. Fred Schwenk was reared in his native
city, Scranton, attended the common and high
schools thereof, graduating from Wyoming
Seminary at Kingston, Pennsylvania, in 1884.
He then entered the employ of the Merchants'
and Mechanics' Bank in the capacity of clerk,
thereby gaining a practical experience in busi-
ness life. Later he was appointed tax collector,
then received the appointment from Mr. Gib-
bons as clerk to the city treasurer, and finally
was appointed register clerk in the Scranton
postoffice, which position he still holds. He
served as a member of the select council from
1890 to 1896, discharging the duties with the
utmost efficiency and credit. He holds member-
ship in the Patriotic Order Sons of America.
Mr. Schwenk resides in a modern and commod-
ious house which he erected for his own use, and
in addition to this is the owner of several houses,
from the rental of which he derives a goodly in-
come.

In 1890 Mr. Schwenk married Metha W.
Homeryayer, born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, a
daughter of John and Dorothy Homeryayer.
Their children are : Robert E., Alfreida N.,
Lucinda B., Lydia E., and Dorothy F. Mr.
Schwenk and his wife are members of the Ger-
man Presbyterian church, to the support of
which they contribute liberally. They are highly
respected in the community in which they re-
side and enjoy the acquaintance of a wide circle
of friends.

FRANK P. HENDERSON, of Lincoln
Heights, Scranton, Pennsylvania, who during a
long and active life has borne a most useful part
in the community among whom his years have
been passed, is a descendant of one of the old and
respected families in the Lackawanna Valley. He
was born in Scranton, January 7, 1853, a son of
James and Mary J. (Knapp) Henderson.

Mathias Henderson, grandfather of Frank P.
Henderson, a native of New Jersey, was a pio-
neer Methodist preacher, who in addition to
preaching the gospel of peace followed the quiet
but useful calling of agriculture. He was among
the early settlers of Scranton and aided materi-
ally in some of the improvements of that section,



c




THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



541



among his tasks being that of assisting in the
cutting through of the woods of what is now
Adams and Jefferson avenues; he also cradled
oats on the South Side. He finally moved to
Daleville, where he purchased a farm, whereon
he resided up to the time of his decease, 1875.
His wife, whose maiden name was Nancy Kin-
dred, a native of New Jersey, bore him the fol-
lowing named children, all of whom are now
deceased ; JMary, who was the wife of John
Travers, of Lincoln street, Scranton ; Anna, Har-
riet, Sally, James, William and John.

James Henderson, father of Frank P. Hen-
derson, was also a native of New Jersey. He
removed to Scranton, Pennsylvania, in 1848, and
resided there up to the time of his decease, Au-
gust 26, 1900. He was a puddler by trade and
worked for the Lackawanna Company for a
number of years, subsequently becoming fore-
man of the Iron and Steel Company. He was an
industrious and upright man, and well merited
the confidence and respect of his employers,
neighbors and friends. By his marriage to Mary
J. Knapp, a native of Moosic, Pennsylvania, two
children were born : Harriet and Frank P.

The maternal ancestors of Frank P. Hender-
son, the Knapps, were among the first settlers of
the valley, and they owned coal lands upon which
a portion of Pittston is now built. The first
white man buried in the Marcy Cemetery was
Hezekiah Knapp, in 1813, aged seventy-two
years. He was a native of the valley, born in the
year 1741. The familj- resided in the valley at
the time of the Wyoming massacre, and were on
the ground at that time. The name of Knapp
can be found inscribed on the monument, a proof
that they were there and that some of them were
slain by the Indians. Not only the men but the
women who resided in the valley during the early
days of its history were courageous. A grand-
aunt of Frank P. Henderson was known to ride
on horseback from Moosic to Carbondale, re-
turning the same night. The adventures through
which they passed would make a very interesting
historv of itself. The Hendersons as well as the
Knapps were staunch Republicans in their polit-
ical views, and adhered to the doctrines of the
Methodist Church.

Frank P. Henderson was reared, educated
and has resided all his life time in the city of
Scranton. where he is well known and respected.
He became foreman of the street department,
and subsequentlv was appointed inspector of
pavements and sewers. In 1904 he completed
the erection of a beautiful and modernly con-
structed house on Reynolds avenue, Lincoln



Heights, where he and his family reside, and
which is noted for the utmost hospitality.

May 2, 1874, Mr. Henderson was united in
marriage to May Green, of Otego, Otsego coun-
ty. New York. Two children were born of this
union : James, a lineman, a member of the A. B.
Dennings Engineer Corps, and John, who lost
his life in the South mills.

GARRETT SMITH, a prominent and influ-
ential resident of Scranton. Pennsylvania, where
he has resided for more than half a century,
traces his ancestry to a family which originated
in England. He was born near Belvidere, War-
ren county. New Jersey, September 17, 1830, a
son of Jacob and Caroline (Axford) Smith.

Captain John A.xford, maternal great-grand-
father of Garrett Smith, was born in England,
December 22, 1761, and died January 14, 1843.
aged eighty-one years, four months and twenty-
two days. He emigrated to this country pre-
vious to the Revolutionary war, in which he took
an active part and received a commission as cap-
tain under General W^ashington. During the
progress of the war he made his home at Ox-
ford Furnace, New Jersey, where he owned a
large tract of land, and when hostilities ceased
this place became his permanent home. He sub-
sequently became a drover, this occupation prov-
ing a lucrative means of livelihood. He was an
honest and upright man in all his transactions
with his fellows, and was universally respected
and esteemed. He was a Presbyterian in relig-
ious faith, and a staunch Whig in politics. He
married Miss Eleanor P. Polhemus, who was
born in the colonies, April 7, 1767, and died June
22, 1848, aged eighty-one years. She was a
daughter of John Polhemus, of English birth,
antl granddaughter of John Hart, one of the
signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Their children were : Abraham, John, Charles,
Montgomery and Eleanor.

John Axford, maternal grandfather of Garrett
Smith, was a native of New Jersey, a farmer by
occupation, and in 1829 removed from his native
state to southern Michigan, locating in Oakland
county, that section of the state being nothing
then but a wilderness. He purchased six hundred
and forty acres in the oak openings, and erected
a log house near the center of the section. He
was a practical and efficient farmer, and a man of
keen business sagacity. Mr. A.xford was twice
married. His first wife, whose maiden name was
Marv De Que, of French extraction, bore him
the following named children : Samuel T., John.
Abraham, Caroline, Marv and Sarah. His sec-



54^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



oncl wife. Charity Axford, bore him one son,
William J. Axford.

Peter Smith, paternal grandfather of Garrett
Smith, was a native of New Jersey. He followed
the quiet but useful calling of agriculture, con-
ducting his operations in Warren county, near
Oxford Furnace, where he was the owner of two
hundred and sixty acres of arable land. At the
time of his decease the property came into the
possession of one of his sons, and when the latter
died Garrett Smith (subject) purchased the land
from the heirs, still retaining the same with the
exception of a few lots that have been platted
in the village of Oxford Furnace, which was
named by Captain John Axford, for Oxford,
England. Peter Smith died at his home in Bel-
videre, New Jersey, at the age of eighty-five
years.

Jacob Smith, father of Garrett Smith, was
born in Warren county. New Jersey. For a
number of years he engaged in farming in the
vicinity of Belvidere, removing from thence to
the vicinity of Oxford Furnace. In 1855 he lo-
cated itj Michigan and purchased a farm near
Rochester, Oakland county, where he remained
until his death. He was united in marriage to
Caroline Axford, who was born in New Jersey
in 1810, and died in 1848. Among the children
born to them are the following: Garrett, men-
tioned hereafter; John A., a resident of Oakland
county, Michigan; Samuel T., a resident of
Rockaway, New Jersey, who served as private in
a Pennsylvania company in the Union army ; P.
J., a resident of Rochelle Park, New Jersey, who
was a lieutenant in a New Jersey regiment in
the Union army ; Eliza, and Caroline, who be-
came the wife of John Cole.

Garrett Smith was indebted to the common
schools adjacent to his home for his educational
privileges. During his boyhood days he learned
the trade of miller. In 1849 he came to Scran-
ton, Pennsylvania, with Mr. Landis, making the
journev by wagon and team. This prosperous
city was then in an embryonic state, and Mr.
Smith well remembers hunting rabbits where the
court house now stands. For a few months he
was employed on a farm, which was on the pres-
ent site of the Delaware, Lackawanna & West-
ern depot and shops. His next position was in
the old Slocum mill, for one year, 1849, which
was operated by the Lackawanna Iron & Coal
Company, and afterwards in the bridge mill
built by this company, he being appointed its
foreman. The mill was built by Thomas P.
Harper and for thirty years was run by water
power, but finally steam power was introduced



from the Lackawanna Iron & Steel Company's
rolling mill. The term of Mr. Smith's service in
the Lackawanna Iron & Coal Company extended
over a period of fifty-six years, he retiring from
active service in 1901. Mr. Smith resided on
one of the old Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
farms near Bellevue Heights, where he superin-
tended the two hundred acres comprising the
place. He has been a member of the board of
trustees of the Washburn Street Presbyterian
Church for twenty years, and is now president
of the board. His political affiliations have al-
ways been with the Republican party.

Mr. Smith married Mary H. Landis, who
was born in Warren county, New Jersey, a
daughter of John Landis, in whose company Mr.
Smith came from New Jersey to Scranton, and
who farmed the land upon which he worked.
Mrs. Smith died at her home in Scranton, Octo-
ber 9, 1891, leaving three children: Samuel I.,
a fanner of Lackawanna township ; Lizzie B.,
wife of Frank H. Freeman ; their children are :
Mary and Garretta ; and Marvin Calvin, who
now resides in Buffalo and is in the employ of
the Lackawanna Steel Company ; he has three
children : Mary H., Myrtle, and Garrett.

GEORGE W. EVANS. Among the old and
highly respected citizens of Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania, whose business energy and industrious
habits have done much to further the interests of
the town in every direction, we may mention the
name at the head of this sketch.

George W. Evans, son of William and Mary
(Reese) Evans, both natives of Wales, was
born on a farm named Cwmdyva, in the parish



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 112 of 130)