Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 117 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 117 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Barre, and a few days after this meeting Cap-
tain Bowman marched from Wilkes-Barre, in
command of a company of light infantry, to join
the army. Order being restored, he returned to
Wilkes-Barre in December. In 1799 Gen. Al-
€xander Hamilton had succeeded to the command
in chief of the army, on the death of Washing-
ton. Captain Bowman was detached from his
company and assigned to duty as an aid on
General Hamilton's staff. They became warm
friends. He returned home in September, 1800.
He was elected a member of the first borough
council of Wilkes-Barre in 1806, and in 1810
was appointed commissioner of Luzerne county.



He had nine children. Samuel, the fifth child,
born May 21, 1800, was admitted to the bar of
Luzerne county, August 8, 1821. Very shortly
after he began the studv of theology under the
direction of Rt. Rev. William White, D. D.,
bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church. He
was admitted to the holy orders of Deacons by
Bishop White at Christ Church, Philadelphia,
August 30, 1823, and ordained priest by the
same, December 19, 1824. In September. 1823,
he took charge of churches in Lancaster county,
Pennsylvania. In 1825 he became rector of Trin-
ity Church, Easton, Pennsylvania. Mav 18.
1825, he married Susan, daughter of Samuel
Sitgreaves, of Easton. In 1827 he returned to
Lancaster county and became assistant rector of
St. James' Church. The rector, Rev. Mr. Clark-
son, having died in 1830, Mr. Bowman w-as
elected rector of the parish. Hobart College con-
ferred upon him the degree of S. T. D. In 1847
he declined the bishopric of the diocese of In-
diana, to which he had been elected. In 1858
he was elected assistant bishop of Pennsylvania.
He died August 3, 1861. — From "History of
Lodge 61, by (3scar Jewel Harvey."

Col. Alexander Hamilton Bowman, sixth
child of Capt. Samuel Bowman, was born at
Wilkes-Barre, March 30, 1803. He was grad-
uated from the United States Military Academy,
West Point, July i, 1825, third in a class of
thirty-seven. He was immediately appointed as-
sistant professor of geography, historv and eth-
ics, at West Point, which position he held until
June, 1826. He was on duty at various points
in the extreme South from the fall of 1826 until
the spring of 185 1. In this period he superin-
tended the erection of Fort Sumter. Charleston
harbor. In May he returned to West Point as
instructor of Practical Military Engineering.
From March, 1861, to July, 1864, he served as
superintendent of the West Point Academy. He
erected a number of public buildings at W'ash-
ington, D. C. He died at Wilkes-Barre, Novem-
ber II, 1865, and at the time of his death ranked
as lieutenant-colonel, corps of engineers, L'nited
States army.

Ellen Stuart Bowman, sister of Alexander
Hamilton Bowman, married Rev. James A lay,
D. D., January 8, 1829. His first parish was
Wilkes-Barre, where he became rector of St.
Stephen's Church in February, 1827. — "History
of I.odge No. 61. etc."

Ebenezer Bowman, brother of Capt. Samuel
Bowman, and son of Capt. Thaddeus Bowman,
served in the American arm\-, taking part in the
battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill. He was



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



563



graduated from Harvard College in 1782. He
studied law and was admitted to the bar of Mas-
sachusetts. He was one of the first four attor-
neys admitted to practice before the courts of
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, upon their or-
ganization at Wilkes-Barre. j\Iay 27, 1787, in
fact.^his name appears first on the list of attor-
neys. For many years he was a prominent and
active member of the Luzerne bar. He died at
Wilkes-Barre, 1820 aged seventy-one years.

SHEPHERD FAMILY. Matthew Shep-
herd, the head of the American branch of the
family, was a native of England who came to
Pennsylvania, during the latter part of the provin-
cial period,, but at what particular time is not
known. He settled in Philadelphia, established
himself in trade there, and was the founder of one
of the respected pre-revolutionary families in the
"City of Brotherly Love." Descendants of his
were in service during the Revolution on the
American side ; and history records that they
fought well, just as in the varied associations of
domestic life those same patriots and their descen-
dants wrought well, and established an honorable
name in all generations from the time of Mat-
thew Shepherd to the time of those of his sur-
name who arc a part of the life of the common-
wealth of Pennsylvania at the beginning of the
twentieth century. Extant records furnish rea-
sonablv complete information of the descendants
of Matthew in each succeeding generation, but
say little except in a general way of those who
have been factors in the life of their respective
communities, until within the last half century ;
and the chronicler of family history finds greater
satisfaction in noting individual achievement in
succeeding generations rather than in mere ab-
stract statement of names and dates of birth, mar-
riage and death.

Matthew Shepherd, the linen weaver of Phila-
deljlhia. married, March 13, 1773. Jane Johnson,
and had children : James, John, Jacob S., Mat-
thew, of whom later ; George N., Thomas, Eliza-
beth, Emeline, and Alamanthia. From these have
descended the Shepherds now scattered and set-
tled throughout the country. Many others of the
same family have found their way intO' other
states, but of those outside of the direct line under
consideration, these annals are not intended to
treat. Matthew Shepherd served in the revolu-
tionary army, 1777-79. as private in Captain
George Esterley's company, June 25, 1777, and
Captain Ezekiel Lett's company, August 25, 1779,
both companies in Colonel William Bradford's
Battalion, Philadelphia Militia.



Matthew Shepherd, son of Matthew Shep-
herd and his wife Jane Johnson, married, Jan-
uary 4, 1830, Anna Yeager, and thus was joined
with one of the old and highly respected German
families of Pennsylvania. She was born Jan-
uary 15, 1804, and died November 16, 1857, the
ninth of eleven children of John Yeager and wife
Catherine Pepperly, and twelfth of fourteen chil-
dren of John Yeager, the issue of his two mar-
riages. John Yeager, born in Philadelphia, 1754,
was son of Caspar Yeager, the American ances-
tor of this branch of the family. John Yeager
served in the revolutionary armies, 1776-78, as
private. Captain John Edwards' company. Colonel
Jno. Bull's battalion, December 10, 1776, and pri-
vate Lieutenant Henry Meyer's company, Colonel
William Bradford's battalion, Philadelphia Mili-
ita, September 25, 1778.

Matthew Shepherd and his wife Anna Yeager
had four children : Albert Gallatin, born Novem-
ber 8, 1830, died (^n board ship on way home from
Florida, April 28, 1904: Harriet Yeager, born
June 13, 1833, married William H. Cossart, died
November 27, 1868; Edward Yeager, born No-
vember 6, 1835, died Julv 6, 1837; and William
Henry, born October 31. 1838, of whom later.

William Henry Shepherd, son of Matthew
and Anna (Yeager) Shepherd, was born in Phil-
adelphia, and spent his young life in that city. He
was a mechanic, accountant and school teacher. A
practical w-orkman at more than one trade, when
he came to Wilkes-Barre in 1855, he was per-
haps the first gas fitter having knowledge of that
trade, in the then borough. He founded the busi-
ness of W. H. Shepherd & Sons in 1870, and
has continued actively engaged in development
of the business to the present time, and in all these
years has been an active factor in the industrial
history of the city. His endeavors in life have
been rewarded with gratifying and deserved suc-
cess, and he is today the head and senior mem-
ber of one of the largest and most reliable estab-
lishments in the Wyoming valley. Prior
to above he was senior member of the
contracting and building firm of Shepherd
& Dalley, but about one year later he became sole
proprietor of the business, and continued it until
November i, 1891, when, with his sons, William
C, and Harry C. Shepherd, was organized the
firm of W. H. Shepherd & Sons, whose name and
reputation in business circles is well known
throughout the state. Mr. Shepherd is a Repub-
lican in politics, and served in the common coun-
cil two terms of three years each. He is a mem-
ber and past master by service of Landmark
Lodge, No. 442, Free and Accepted Masons,



:M



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



which he joined April 20, 1881 ; also a thirty-
second degree member of Cauldwell Consistory,
of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. He is also a mem-
ber of Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic .Shrine, and the Wilkes-
Barre Board of Trade. During Lee's invasion of
Pennsylvania, he went out with Company E, First
Regiment, Gray Reserves, of Philadelphia, Penn-
sylvania, and was present at the battle of Antie-
tam. William Henry Shepherd married. January
31, 1859, Lydia A. Ziegler, daughter of Amos
Ziegler, of Zieglerville, Pennsylvania. Both of
Lydia A. (Ziegler) Shepherd's grandfathers
were revolutionary soldiers. They had children :
I. Alice Harriet, born Philadelphia, February
4, i860. 2. William Carver, born August 16,
1862, of whom later. 3. Harry Clayton, born
April 6, 1864, of whom later. 4. Albert Dan-
iel, died in infancy, April 6, 1868. 5. Edward
Stanley, born June 19, iSjt. of whom later. 6.
George Elwood, born May i, 1873, of whom
/later. 7. Arthur Yeager, born November 10,
1874, died at Lehigh University, after graduation,
May 29, 1896.

William Carver Shepherd, eldest son of Wil-
liam Harrison Shepherd and liis wife Lydia A.
Ziegler, was born in Philadelphia. He was edu-
cated in the Wilkes- Barre schools and Wyoming
Seminary, and began his business career early.
With his ne.xt younger brother, Harry C, he
became a partner with his father in 1891 in the
firm of W. H. Shepherd & Sons, and since that
time the concern has had marked success, in a
large measure the result of the earnest, energetic
efforts of the younger members of the firm —
William C. and Harry C. Shepherd. William
C. Shepherd is variously identified with Wilkes-
Barre interests and institutions. He i,s a director
and second vice-president of the Luzerne County
Trust Company, a director of tiie Matheson
Motor Car Company, president of the Wilkes-
Barre Employers' Association, and a member of
the executive committee of the Citizens' Indus-
trial Association of America, a national organiza-
tion the object of which is to establish and main-
tain honorable and equitable relations between
capital and labor, enforcement of the laws of
the land, and the preservement of individual lib-
erty and citizenship. He is a member and past
master by service of Landmark Lodge, No. 442,
also a member of Shekinah Chapter, No. 182,
Royal Arch Masons ; Dieu Le Veut Comman-
dery. No. 45, Knights Templar ; a member of the
Thirty-second Degree Scottish Rite iNlasonry,
Cauldwell Consistory, of Bloomsburg, Pennsyl-
vania ; also a member of the .-\ncient Arabic



Order Nobles of Mystic Shrine, Irem Temple.
He is a member of the WesUnoreland Club, the
Franklin Club, the Wyoming Historical and
Geological Society, and Sons of the Revolution.
Mr. Shepherd married, April 24, 1890, Alice M.
Gibson, daughter of Dr. Maris and Ellen A.
(Rhodes) Gibson. They have: Harold Maris,
born January 13, 189 1 : Miriam Gertrude, born
July 5, 1893; Alice \'irginia, born March 16,
1903 ; and William C, Jr., born August 8, 1905.
Harry Clayton Shepherd, third child of Wil-
liam H. and Lydia A. (Ziegler) Shepherd, was
educated in the public schools of Wilkes-l^arre.
He learned the trade of his father, and other
branches of the business, including architecture,
becoming thoroughly familiar with all details,
and was foreman and superintendent of the dif-
ferent departments until 1891, when with his
brother, William C, he was admitted a partner
in the business. He possesses a mechanical abil-
ity which has been of great assistance in the per-
formance of his duties. He is also a member of
the firm of McCollum & Shepherd, real estate
brokers of Wilkes-Barre. (See McCollum.)
Mr. Shepherd is also largely interested in the
Doran Lace Works, one of the leading industries
of Wilkes-Barre. He is a member of Landmark
Lodge, No. 442, Free and Accepted Masons, in
which he has filled many offices ; of Shekinah
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons ; of Mount Horeb
Council, Royal and Select Masters, and is a past
thrice illustrious grand master ; member and past
eminent commander of Dien Le \'eut Command-
ery ; meaiber of Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and has held
a number of important office's in the same. He
is also past grand marshal in the grand council
of the Royal and Select Masters of the State of
Pennsylvania, and is now district de,)Uty grand
master of the state of Pennsylvania, district No.
6. He is a member of Keystone Consistory of
Scranton, Pennsylvania, and has held high offices
in this body. He is also local president of the
advisory board of the American Life and Annuity
.Society of Pittsburg. Pennsylvania : a member
of the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the Revolu-
tion, the Wyoming Historical and Geological
Society of Wilkes- llarre, and the Wilkes-Barre
Board of Trade. Mr. Shepherd married, Decem-
ber 31, 1885. Mary W. Helker, daughter of
Daniel G. and Mary Elizabeth (Stoecker) Hel-
ker, whose family consisted of four daughters
and one son, all of whom are married. Daniel
G. Flelker was a stock raiser, farmer and lumber
merchant when in ( iermany, but after coming to
this countr\- in 1865, he engaged in mercantile



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



565



business in Carbon county, Pennsylvania. The
children of Harry C. and Mary VV. (Helker)
Shepherd are : Clayton Harry, born April 9,
1887; Irene Mav, born October 27, 1889.

Edward S. Shepherd, fifth child of William
H. and Lydia A. (Ziegler) Shepherd, was born
Wilkes-Barre, June 19. 1871. He attended the
Franklin grammar school of Wilkes-Barre until
fifteen years of age, and then entered the Harry
Hillman Academy, completing liis studies there
in 1889. He learned the trade of carpenter in his
father's establishment, and followed the same for
three and a half years, when he was taken into
the office as confidential clerk and secretary, in
which capacity he is serving at the present time,
his performance of the duties assigned to him
teing marked by promptitude and fidelity. In
religious belief he is a Presbyterian, and in polit-
ical affairs he is an earnest Republican, giving his
support to the nominees of that party. Mr. Shep-
herd married, in Montrose, Pennsylvania, May
19, 1897, Helen Newton Aitke^n, born in New
^lilford, Pennsylvania, but residing in Montrose,
a daughter of James and Fanny (Stark) Aitken,
who had six children, five of whom are living:
John, of Montrose, Pennsylvania ; Helen New-
ton, wife of Edward S. Shepherd ; Louise, wife
of J. W. Aitken, of Carbondale, Pennsylvania :
Katharine S., wife of Peter Crcter, manager of
the J. S. Gillis china store of Wilkes-Barre,
Pennsylvania : William Watson,' of Montrose,
local editor of the Montrose Republican.

James Aitken, father of Mrs. Shejilierd, was
born April 23, 1833, in Clififord township, Sus-
quehanna county, Pennsylvania, of Scotch origin,
his ancestors among the early settlers in this sec-
tion of the state. He was a son of John Aitken,
born in Scotland, December 4, 1794, died No-
vember 19, 1878, and his wife, Helen (Newton)
Aitken, born May 3. 1795. in Scotland. John
Aitken was a member of the Presbyterian
Church, as were all the Aitkens. He was, a Whig
in politics. James Aitken was a jeweler by trade,
which business he followed for many years in
Pittston, being the leading jeweler in that place.
Prior to his death. May 23, 1901, at the age of
sixty-eight years, he retired from active pursuits
and enioyed the fruits of his many years of toil.
His wife, Fanny (Stark) Aitken, born 1840, was
one of ten children born to Cornelius and Louise
(Wagner) Stark, the former born January 29,
1812. at Wilkes-Barre, died January 11. 1880,
and the latter born March 30. 1819, died October
5, 1873. Fanny (Stark) Aitken at the present
time is residing in Montrose, Peiuisylvania. She
has three brothers : Edward Stark, in Denver,



Colorado; W. H. Stark, of i\lontrose, lennsyl-
vania; and Charles M. Stark, of St. Louis, Mis-
souri. A sister, Mrs. John R. McLean, of South
Franklin street. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, and
another sister. Miss Louise Stark, resides at
Philipsburg, New Jersey.

Mr. and Mrs. Shepherd have had four chil-
dren: Ruth A., born February 23, 1898; Stanley,
born June 7, 1900; and two who have passed to
the spirit world.

George E. Shepherd, sixth child of William
H. and Lydia A. (Ziegler) Shepherd, was born
May I, 1873. He was educated in the public
schools of Wilkes-Barre, and at the Harry Hill-
man Academy, from which he was graduated at
the age of seventeen. He then entered the Le-
high University, and was graduated from the
same as an electrical engineer in June, 1894. He
followed his profession in Wilkes-Barre until
November, 1896. when in connection with H. N.
Rust he organized the firm of Shepherd & Rust,
electrical engineers and contractors, and rented
a small store on North Franklin street, where was
laid the foundation for the present large and
prosperous business. Their trade constantly
increased in volume and importance, and April
I, 1902, they moved into their present quarters
on West Market street, thus giving them ample
facilities for the conduct of their large business.
In March, 1904.. in company with W. D. Mc-
Clain and H. N. Rust, Mr. Shepherd formed
what is known as the Pennsylvania Armature
Works, located on North Franklin street, where
the rebuilding, repairing and manufacturing of
electrical machinery and appliances of all kinds
is carried on. This was organized to relieve the
pressure in the repair department of their regu-
lar plant. Shepherd & Rust conduct not only a
large retail business, but also enjoy an extensive
wholesale and jobbing trade throughout the state.
Mr. Shepherd is a Republican in politics, and
lends his voice and vote in its support. He is a
Presbyterian in religious belief, and a willing and
liberal contributor to the church. He is a mem-
ber of the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the Rev-
olution, the Franklin Club, and vice-nresident of
the Lehigh University Club of Northeastern
Pennsylvania.

He married. October 23, 1890, Kalista A.
Reese, of Wilkes-Barre. Pennsylvania, daughter
of Thomas and Sarah L. Reese, and they have
three children : Dorothy, born December 9, 1901 :
Marjory Helen, born October 9, 1903 : and
Martha, born August 24. 1905.

Mrs. Shepherd's brothers and sisters are :
Helen A., wife of Thomas A. Wright, superin-



S66



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



tendent of the VVilkes-Barre & Wyoming Valley
Traction Company ; Edward F., of Dorranceton,
Pennsylvania ; Emma, wife of Don A. Gilbert, of
Wilkes-Barre ; George F., of Pritchard, Penn-
sylvania ; Sadie 'C, of Gregory, Pennsylvania ;
Sterling A., of Gregory, wliere the mother of
these children also resides. H. E. H.

HON. JOHN J. SHONK, who at the time of
his death was one of the oldest and most highly
respected citizens of Plymouth, was born in Hope,
New Jersey, March 21, 1815, a son of Michael
and Beulah (Jenks) Shonk. He came of Ger-
man ancestry in the paternal line, and was of
Welsh lineage on the mother's side, tracing his
ancestry back to the year 900. His grandparents,
John and Dorothy ( Rosky ) Shonk, were natives
of Germany. His father, Michael Shonk, was
born on the ocean, while his parents were voyag-
ing to America. They landed in September, 1790,
and settled in Hope, Warren county, New Jersey,
with a Moravian community. There they reared
their family, and there Michael was educated and
married. In 1821 he and his wife located in Ply-
mouth, Pennsylvania, where they passed the re-
mainder of their lives. Their family consisted of
four girls and four boys, John J. being the second
child in order of birth, and the eldest son.

John J. Shonk was put to work in the coal
mines as soon as he was large enough to be at
all useful, and he followed this calling until he
was sixteen years old, gaining an intimate prac-
tical knowledge of all departments of mining
work. He then gave his attention to other pur-
suits, such as work on boats, public edifices and
road construction, and railroad building. In 1854
he embarked in business on his own account, and
at intervals was engaged as lumberman and in the
tannery business. Later he gave his entire atten-
tion to the operation of coal properties, and came
to be recognized as one of the large coal operators
of his day. He was president and manager of the
soft coal mines of the Williams Coal Company
and the Cabin Creek Kanawha Coal Company,
both in West Virginia, and conducted both,
transacting an immense business and affording
employment to four hundred men. He also be-
came largely interested in railroad affairs, hold-
ing financial interest and official position with
the Kanawha Railroad Company of West Vir-
ginia, and the Wilkes-Barre & Harvey's Lake
Railroad Company of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsyl-
vania. He accumulated a handsome estate, at the
same time preserving an unsullied reputation as a
man of sterling integrity. He was ever a sym-
pathizing friend of the laboring man, kind and



generous almost to a fault, and ever free and
liberal in his aid to any worthy cause. A man
of broad intelligence and much public spirit, he
was called at various times to positions of trust
in which he served the community with signal
ability and integrity. He rendered efficient serv-
ice as a member of the school board of the
borough of Plymouth for several years. In 1874
he was elected to the state legislature to represent
the county of Luzerne, and acquitted himself with
so much usefulness and credit that by successive
re-elections his term of office was extended to a
period of four years. His political affiliations
were with the Republican party, and he was
known as a zealous and forceful exponent of its
principles and policies. In religion he was a
Methodist, and was for some years chairman of
the board of trustees of the church with which
he was identified. He was a prominent Odd Fel-
low, a charter member of Elm Lodge, Xo. 642, of
Plymouth, and also a member of the Encampment
of the same beneficent order.

Mr. Shonk was three times married. His
first wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Ebenezer
Chamberlin, M. D., and a native of Cheshire
countv. New Hampshire. His second wife was
h'rances, daughter of Carpenter C. Rinus, of Ply-
mouth. January 31. 1847, ^^^- Shonk married for
his third wife, Amanda, daughter of Thomas
Davenport, and of French and Dutch descent. She
was born in Plymouth, September 16, 1819, and
died Deccm'bcr 8, 1892, aged seventy-three years.
Her husband long survived her, and died May
I, 1904, aged eighty-nine years, and their re-
mains rest side by side in Shawnee cemetery.
Their children were as follows: i. Albert D.,
born October 14, 1847, (see sketch). 2. Hon.
George W., born April 26, 1850, died August 14,
1900 ; he was a lawyer by profession, and served
a term as member of congress. 3. Elizabeth,
born July 24, 1852, who became the wife of E.
F. Stevens, now deceased, of whom see sketch.
4. Clara, born August 28, 1855, who became the
wife of C. W. McAlarney, now deceased, of
whom sec sketch. The portrait of Hon. John
J. Shonk, which appears in this work, was placed
herein bv his children: Albert D. Shonk, Eliza-
beth (Mrs. E. F. Stevens), and Clara (Mrs.
Charles W. McAlarney). H. E. H.

ALBERT D. SHONK. a real estate dealer
of Plymouth, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania,
was born there October T4, 1847, eldest son of
John J. and Amanda (Davenport) Shonk. He
spent liis early life in Plymouth, and was edu-
cated in its public schools and at Wyoming Semi-







rC




Cs> (f' ^(l^CC^L^^e.t^u^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



567



nary. At the age of twenty-one years he en-
gaged with liis fatlier in the brick-making busi-
ness, the firm name being John J. Shonk. In
1870 Albert D. succeeded to the business and con-
tinued the same until 1875. The following year
he associated himself with the Ruggles & Shonk
Lumber Company and the Beaver Run Tanning
Company, acting in the capacity of superintend-
ent for about ten years. In 1885 he embarked in
the real estate business in Plymouth, in which he



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 117 of 130)