Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 119 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 119 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


employed as a clerk by John Levi at Hyde Park,,
and in 1872 opened a general store at Catasauqua,
Lehigh county, of which he was the sole proprie-
tor for many years, but which is now conducted



o/-^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



under the name of Walters Brothers, the firm
having been organized in 1899. He married, May,
1864. Alaria. daughter of Edward Edmunds, of
Marthy Tydoil, whom he had met at Liverpool
while on his way to this country. They made the
voyage on the same ship, and two years after
their arrival were married by Mr. Earle, pastor
of the Presbyterian church, Catasauqua. Their
children are : Evan, John, Annie, Margeret, and
Philip, who served as a volunteer in the Fourth
Pemisylvania Regiment during the Spanish-
American war. John married Ada, daughter of
Captain Joseph Matchett, of Catasauqua, and has
seven children : Evan, Fannie, Naomi, Marion,
Joseph, John and Leonard. 4. Philip, mentioned
at length hereinafter. Mr. Walters, the father,
■died in 1 87 1 and was buried in Cwmgiedd ceme-
tery, Breconshire, South Wales, near the junc-
tion of the counties of Glamorganshire, Car-
marthenshire and Breconshire. His widow suc-
ceeded to the business which she conducted until
her death, which occurred about fifteen years
ago. An incident which occurred in connection
with this event is worthy of note. Mrs. Walters'
son David sailed from New York on a Cunard
steamer with the intention of visiting his native
country. He landed at Liverpool on Sundav after-
noon, leaving for Ystalyfera Monday morning.
On his arrival there he found that his mother had
died on Sunday, the day of his landing in Liver-
pool, and that the funeral would occur on the
following day, which was Tuesday.

Philip Walters, son of Evan and Ann (Davis)
Vv alters, was born January 14, 1846, in Aberdare,
Glamorganshire. South Wales, where he attended
the public schools. In 1854 the family moved to
Glynneath and in 1857 to Ystalyfera. In both
these places he was a pupil in the public schools
and later spent one year at the Normal College,
Swansea. Glamorganshire. Meanwhile he en-
gaged in the tinning business at Ystalyfera and
Cwmbwila, Swansea, in the same county, and
also served as a clerk in the grocery store of
Hugh Bevan at Bridge End, and later in the gen-
eral store of Brogden & Son at Tondu. In April,
1869, he emigrated to the United States, land-
ing in New York whence he proceeded to Potts-
ville, Pennsylvania. After a brief stav there he
went to Catasauqua where he worked for a short
time in the rolling mills. For a brief period he
labored in the mines at Mahanoy City and then
went to Plymouth, where he secured a position
as bookkeeper with the firm of William Davis &
Company, dealers in general merchandise. This
position he filled until 1S89, when he resigned in



order to engage in business for himself. He
opened a general merchandise store and con-
ducted a satisfactory business until 1894, when
he was elected justice of the peace. He has since
been re-elected, his commission to expire the first
Monday in May, 1909. In 1897 he was elected
burgess and served for three years. With the
exception of one year at Lansford, where he con-
ducted a general store for Thomas Philips &
Company, Mr. Walters has been a continuous
resident of Plymouth for more than thirty years.
He acts as agent for all the steamship lines, and
also conducts a fire insurance business. Mr.
Walters is one of the oldest members of Elm
Lodge, No. 642, I. O. O. F., of Plymouth, in
which for thirteen years he served as treasurer.
While engaged in the mercantile business he re-
signed this office and is now a past grand, hav-
ing passed the various chairs. He has been a
member of Luzerne Castle, No. 56, Knights of
the Golden Eagle, of Plymouth, since its organ-
ization, and also belongs to Conclave No. 231,
Improved Order of Heptasophs, of Plymouth. In
politics he affiliates with the Republicans. He is
a member of the Welsh Presbyterian church of
Plymouth, in which he has always been an active
worker and in which for fifteen years he served
as chairman of the board of trustees. Mr. Wal-
ters married, May 26, 1870, Jennett Harris and
the following children have been born to them :
I. Annie, who married James H. Becker and has
one child, Jennett Walters. 2. Morgan H., who
was educated in the public schools and at the
Kingston Seminary and was surveyor for the
Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. He mar-
ried Louise, daughter of the late George Durbin,
miner of Plymouth, and their children were:
Jennett, George and Philip. Morgan H. Walters
died in December, 1904. 3. Evan, who was edu-
cated in the public schools and at the Kingston
Seminarv and was employed in the steel works
of Braddock, Pennsylvania; now (1903) is clerk
at the Nottingham colliery at Plunkett. 4. Eliza-
beth, who resides at home. 5. John, who is a clerk
in the service of the Lehigh Valley Coal Com-
pany of Wilkes-Barre. 6. Deborah who was edu-
cated in the public schools and at the Wilkes-
Barre Business College, and is bookkeeper for
Thomas West, Hosiery Mills, Plymouth. 7.
David, who is a mining engineer in the service of
the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. 8.
Edith, wlio is a student and resides at home. All
these children were born in Plymouth.

Mrs. Walters is a daughter of Morgan Har-
ris, of Ystradgynlais, Breconshire, South Wales,



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



n/:)



the descendant of a long line of Welsh ancestors,
many of whose sons and danghters are now living
in Wales and America. Mr. Harris was a coal-
miner in his native country. He married Eliza-
beth Prosser, also a native of Wales, and they
were the parents of the following children: i.
John, who emigrated to the United States about
1862 and settled in Youngstown, Ohio. Early in
1869 he moved to Plymouth, and in September
of that year was suffocated in the Avondale dis-
aster at that place. The breaker took fire and in
consequence of the fact that in those days there
was but one opening to the mine all beneath the
surface perished. He was buried at Hyde Park
cemetery with a large number of others who met
death in the same disaster. His wife was Mary
Jones, of Ystradgynlais, and their children are :
Elizabeth, Jane, Thomas, and Mary, who is the
wife of Ernest Mellow and resides in Philadel-
phia. All the others live in Scranton. 2. Jennett,
born March 20, 1846, in Merthyr Tydvil, Gla-
morganshire, and received her education in
Ystradgynlais. She landed in New York, Alay
26, 1870, where she was married the same day
by Philip I^. Davis, pastor of the Welsh Baptist
church, to Philip \\'alters, as mentioned above.
3. Thomas, who lives in Ystalyfera, is married
and has a large family. Mr. Harris died when
his cliildren were still voung. John T. Harris, a
nephew of Morgan Harris, was for many years
chief of police at Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and
for five years served as alderman. He lost all
his family with the exception of two sons in the
Johnstown flood, in which so many perished.
Many other branches of this line of Harrisscs are
scattered oyer the eastern part of the state of
Pennsylvania. H. E. H.

LEWIS JONES, who for more than twenty
years has been a prominent factor in business and
political circles in West Pittston, is a representa-
tive of one of the old families of the Wyoming
Valley. His grandfather, who also bore the name
of Lewis Jones, was born October 25, 1771, fol-
lowed farming throughout his business career,
and made his home in this section of the state un-
til called to his final rest. He married Sarah Ben-
edict and they became the parents of twelve chil-
dren : Ira, born December 14, 1795: Frances,
born August 9, 1797, wife of Elijah Sturtevant :
Hannah, lx)rn August 22, 1799, married a Mr.
Rogers; Isaac D., born March 7, 1801 ; Eliza,
born April 19, 1803 : Lord, born July 9, 1805 ;
Lewis, born August 28, 1807; Gilbert W^, born
June 16, 1809: John B., born August 13, 181 1;



Mary .-\nn, born September 17, 1S13 ; Sallie Ann,
born December 25, 1815, the wife of Houton
Gourtright; and Benjamin, born )anuarv 17,
1820.

John Benedict Jones, son of Lewis and Sarah
( Benedict) Jones, was born in Exeter township,.
Luzerne county, and never removed from that
neighborhood. His life was devoted to agricul-
tural jnirsuits, and in matters of citizenship he
was progressive and public-.spirited, giving a loyal
support to the Republican party and faithfully
performing all the duties of the many township
offices to which he was elected. For" more than
half a century he served as a deacon in the Bap-
tist cliurch. His \v\ic bore the maiden name of
Lydia Frothinghaiii, and their children were
three in number: Fannie l\, born May 24, 1853,
is the wife of Robert J. Davies ; Elizabeth C, born
November 20, 1855 ; and Lewis.

Lewis Jones was born April 2~. 1857. on the
old home farm in E.xetcr tiiwnshiix Luzerne
county, and was educated in the public schools
and at Bucknell University. On completing his
education he devoted his entire time and atten-
tion to the operation of the home fami in Exeter
township until 1882, when he took U]) his abode
in W est Pittston. He then engaged in mer-
chandising and was also interested in manufac-
turing, and his business activity contributed to the
commercial prosperity of the borough. He has
for .some years been recognized as a local leader
in the Republican party, and for three years
served as a member of the council of West Pitts-
ton and was borough treasurer for four vears.
In 1900 he was elected tax collector and was re-
elected in 1903, so that he is now filling the po-
sition. Air. Jones wedded .Adela E. \\'hite, a
daughter of Milo E. White, and they became the
parents of five children: Edith L., born June 8,
1887; Jennett P., bom August 4, 1889, now de-
ceased: Ruth A., born June r, 189 1 ; Grace E.,.
born December 13, 1893 ; and Camilla, born Au-
gust 2^, 1896, now deceased.

H. E. H.

HON. GEORGE F. O'BRIEN, actively and
prominently identified with the professional, po-
litical and social interests of Pittston, Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, in which his birth occurred
November 28, 1876, is a son of Thomas J. and
Margaret (Gerrity) O'Brien.

Thomas J. O'Brien (father) was born in
Carbondale, Pennsylvania. He was educated in
the public schools of Pennsylvania, in which
state his parents located, and upon attaining the



574



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



.age when he could earn a livelihood for himself
secured employment about the coal mines, con-
tinuing the same for several years. Subsequently
he became superintendent for the Cowan &
Dinniny Coal Mining Company, serving in that
capacity eight years ; he filled a similar position
for the Xewton Coal Company, at Pittston, seven
years, and at the present time (.1905) is acting
as superintendent for the O'Boyle & Foy Coal
Company at Bernice, Sullivan county, Pennsyl-
vania. By his marriage to Margaret Gerrity
the following named children were born : Charles
H., born in Pittston, April 9, 1867, educated in
the public schools, entered the employ of the old
Pittston Coal Company as engineer, remaining
three years. He then served fourteen years as
engineer for the Newton Coal Company at Pitts-
ton, after which he entered into partnership with
Messrs. Corcoran and Tigue in the clothing bus-
iness under the firm name of Corcoran, O'Brien
.& Tigue. Two years later Messrs. Corcoran and
O'Brien purchased the interest of Mr. Tigue,
the name of the firm was changed to Corcoran &
O'Brien, and they have now a well equipped
store on Main street, Pittston, where they con-
duct a prosperous business. He has served as
school director several terms, and is now a
member of the city council. He is a member of
the Roman Catholic church, and a Democrat in
politics. Mary, Alice, Lizzie, George F., men-
tioned at length hereinafter; Adelaide, and one
child who died in infancy.

George F. O'Brien acquired his education in
the public and high schools of Pittstown, grad-
uating from the latter in the class of 1894; Penn-
sylvania State College, where he completed a
three years' course ; and the University of Penn-
sylvania, graduating from the law department
thereof in 1900. He also pursued a course of
legal study under the preceptorship of John T.
Lanahan and John F. Shea, of Wilkes-Barre.
After passing a successful competitive examina-
tion he was admitted to the Luzerne county bar
in 1900, and at once began the practice of his
profession in Pittston. In April, 1901, he was
• elected city solicitor for Pittston, re-elected in
1903, served as attorney for Duryea borough two
terms, and attorney for Pittston township four
terms, and November 8, 1904, was elected to
the legislature, on the judiciary general com-
mittee, law and order, insurance committee, mines
and mining, retrenchment, also reform. He was
the onlv representative elected on the Democratic
ticket from the coal region, and is also the second
youngest man in the house. This fact is ample



proof of the popularity of Mr. O'Brien, and the
confidence and trust reposed in him by his fel-
low citizens. He is a member of the Roman
Catholic church, to the support of which he con-
tributes liberally. He is a member of the Knights
of Columbus, Fraternal Order of Eagles, B. P.
O. E., Division 42, A. O. of H. He married,
October 11, 1905, Genevieve Kelley, of Scranton,
daughter of William Kelley, a member of the
firm of. Casey and Kellev.

H. E. H.

N. LOUIS SCHAPPERT, M. D., was born
in the city of Wilkes-Barre, June 10, 1876, son
of Peter and Sophia (Smith) Schappert, and
grandson of Anthony and Margaret (Reinhart)
Schappert, natives of Germany, from whence
they came to the United States in 1854, settling
in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, but later removed
to Hanover township. Anthony Schappert was
a prosperous merchant, and he and his wife were
the parents of eleven children, namely : An-
thony, John, Catherine, who became the wife of
Anthony Reber ; Henry, Joseph, Elizabeth, who
became the wife of John Schaab ; Margaret, who
became the wife of Adam Scheidel ; Jacob, Peter,
Michael, and George.

Peter Schappert (father) was bom in Ba-
varia, Germany, April 30, 1840. When fourteen
years of age he accompanied his parents to this
country, and attended the St. Nicholas parochial
school. In 1866 he embarked in the hotel busi-
ness, which proved exceedingly remunerative,
and in .1885 became the proprietor of "Schap-
pert's Hotel," which he conducted up to 1896 and
then retired. He was a member of the Roman
Catholic church, and a Democrat in politics. On
October 6, 1864, he married Sophia Smith,
daughter of Peter and Catherine (Thorn) Smith,
of Wilkes- P>arre, and to them were born the fol-
lowing children: Mrs. Fred Stegmaier, Mrs.
Wina Baumann, P. George, a merchant in Brook-
lyn, New York; Mrs. William Morris, Mrs. Will-
iam Goeckel, and N. Louis, mentioned herein^
after. The father died January 27, 1903, and
the mother May 19, 1899, and their remains arc
interred in the Darling Street cemetery.

N. Louis Schappert obtained a practical edu-
cation in the public schools of Wilkes-Barre, his
birthplace, and in 1890 went to Brooklyn, New
York, where he entered the pharmacy of John
Krauschc. In 1891 he removed to Hazleton,
Pennsylvania, entered the office of Dr. William
R. Longshore and took charge of his drug de-
partment, and at the same time read medicine



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



575



under hi? excellent preceptorship. In 1893 he
went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and attended
lectures for three years at the Aledico-Chirurgical
College, returning to Hazleton during the summer
months of each year and there assisting his pre-
ceptor. In 1896-97 he took a post-graduate course
on diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat in the
Polyclinic Hospital at Philadelphia, at the same
time acting as assistant to Professor Webster Fox
in the eye department of the Medico-Chirurgical
Hospital. In January, 1898, he located in Wilkes-
Barre and practiced general medicine for three
years, and since that has devoted his entire time
to his specialtv of diseases of the eye, ear, nose
and throat. In 1898 he was appointed a mem-
ber of the Stat? of Mercy Hospital. He is an ac-
tive member of the Luzerne County Medical So-
ciety, of the Pennsylvania State ^Medical Society,
Webster Fox Society of Philadelphia, and James
M. Anders" Medical Society, of Philadelphia. He
also holds membership in the Knights of Colum-
bus Council, No. 302, Wilkes-P>arre, Gasang
X'crein Concordia, and Westmoreland Club. He
attends St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church,
and casts his vote with the Republican party. His
residence and office is at No. 31 South Washing-
ton street, Wilkes-Barre. H. E. H.

CAPTAIN EDMUND D. CAAIP, a lifelong
resident of the citv of Wilkes-Barre, where he is
at present (1905) serving in the capacity of as-
sistant postmaster of that city, was born March
29, 1870, son of William Manning and Cecelia
(Riley) Camp, and grandson of Daniel Camp,
who followed the occupation of farming in New
Jersey and dierl in Newark, that state, at over
eighty-six years of age. William Manning, the
father, born in Sussex county. New Jersey, was
a carpenter by trade and came to Wilkes-Barre
at twenty-five years of age. Here he followed
his trade till i860, when his health failed and he
took a position as clerk in the Exchange Hotel
of Wilkes-Barre, then managed bv Sam. Peter-
baugh, and at that time the leading hotel of
Wilkes-Barre. Here he remained up to the time
of his death in 1871. His wife was a native of
Ireland and came to this country with her parents
when about four months old. In 1832 they came
to Wilkes-Barre, floating down the Susquehanna
river from Chenango Forks, New York, on a raft
of lumber. She had three children, namely :
Mary, deceased. Margaret, wife of D. W. Dod-
son, of Townhill, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania,
and mother of two sons, Osborn C, and Manning
W. Dodson. Edmund D., mentioned herein-



after. Airs. William H. Camp makes her home
at present (1905) with Captain Edmund D.
Camp.

The public schools of Wilkes-Barre afl:'orded
Ednntnd D. Camp the opportunity of obtaining
a good English education. He began his active
business career as a clerk in the five and ten cent
store of F. M. Kirby, of Wilkes-Barre, but after
a vear's service as such he entered the employ of
Conyngham, Schrage & Co., grocers of Wilkes-
Barre, where he remained two years. He then
engaged in the railway mail service, running be-
tween New York and Pittsburg; New York,
Geneva and Buffalo : Wilkes-Barre and Potts-
ville ; Wilkes-Barre and Towanda ; and several
other points, and this position he held for a period
of nine years. November 16, 1887, he enlisted
in Company D, Ninth Regiment, National Guard
of Pennsylvania, and in succession held the offices
of corporal, sergeant, first sergeant, first lieuten-
ant and captain. April 28, 1898, he was com-
missioned with the rank of first lieutenant in
Company D, Ninth Pennsylvania \'olunteer In-
fantry, (see histor}- of regiment elsewhere), in
the Spanish-American war, served at Chicka-
mauga Park, Georgia, and Lexington, Kentucky,
was mustered out October 28, 1898, with the rank
of captain. He then re-organized the company
and took connuand, which he still retains (1905)
having been promoted while in the service.

July I, 1903, Captain Camp entered the
Wilkes-Barre postoffice as clerk under Postmaster
B. G. Hahn ; (sketch elsewhere); November,
1904, was promoted chief clerk of the mailing
division ; February, 1905, Colonel J. D. Lacier
was made postmaster, and Captain Camp re-
ceived the appointment of assistant postmaster,
the duties of which responsible position he is dis-
charging with the utmost efficiency and capabil-
ity and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned.
He is a member of St. Stephen's Episcopal
Church, Lodge, No. 61, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, of Wilkes-Barre, and past commander of
Henry U. Lawton Camp, No. 19, United Spanish
War Veterans. He is a Republican in politics.
Captain Camp resides at No. 173 East Northamp-
ton street, Wilkes-Barre. H. E. H.

A. FRANK LAMPMAN, M. D., who is en-
gaged in the practice of medicine, diseases of eye
and ear, and removing gallstones without opera-
tion, at Wilkes-Barre, and whose skill and ability
has crowned his efforts with success, was born at
Pittston, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, Febru-
ary 4, 1873, ^nd came to Wilkes-Barre, in 1879,



5/6



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



with his parents. Dr. John S. and Margaret
(Shales) Lampham, the former named having
JDeen a son of Dr. Norman and Phoebe ( Engle)
Lampman, who were the parents of nine children,
among whom are the following : CJeorge, Nor-
man, Joseph, Edward, Elizabeth, Erances, and
Mary A. Lampman.

Dr. John S. Lampman (father) was also a na-
tive of Pittston. Pennsylvania, born December 20,
1838, his father having removed to that town
from Columbia county. New York, his birth-
place, in 1810. Dr. Norman Lampman was
skillful in treating diseases of the eye, and his
son, John S., early manifested great talent in lo-
cating and applying proper remedies. He suc-
ceeded in bringing into use remedies unknown to
any other oculist in the world, beginning his
practice by treating and curing an afflicted sister
in 18(13, and he established such a reputation for
skill in his special line as to become well known
throughout the United States. In 1863, upon
the death of his father. Dr. John S. Lampman
assumed his practice, residing at Pleasant Val-
ley, near Pittston, until 1876, when he removed
to Wilkes-P>arre, where he built u]) an extensive
and lucrative practice, and where he resided until
his decease. He was a prominent member of the
Society of Good Eellows, and a stanch adherent
of the Democratic party. He married, January
25, 1872, ]\largaret Shales, daughter of Charles
Shales, of Kingston township, and three children
were born to them : Harry L., died at two years
of age ; A. Prank, and Ralph, who married Maud
White. Dr. Lampman ( father) died August 5,
1904, and his wife passed away August 16, 1903.

Dr. A. h'rank Lampman attended the public
schools of Wilkes- Barre, the Wilkes- Barre Busi-
ness College, from which he was graduated in
1887, Kingston Seminary, and in 1889 matricu-
lated at the Baltimore Medical College, from
which he was graduated in 1894. He then began
practice with his father, following along the same
lines, and upon the death of the latter assumed
his large practice and has attended to the same
up to the present time (1905). He is connected
with a number of societies in \\'ilkes-Barre, as
follows: Lodge No. 61, Eree and Accepted Ma-
sons ; Centennial Lodge, No. 927, and Wyoming
Valley Encampment, No. 25, Independent Order
of Odd Eellows ; Keystone Consistory of Scran-
ton ; Irem Temple, Mystic Shrine ; HofTuning
Lodge, No. 41, Daughter of Rebckah ; Canton
No. 31, l^atriarchs Militant: Columbia Council,
No. 43, Junior Order of American Mechanics;
and Concordia Singing Society. He attends the
Episcopal Church.



Dr. Lampman married. June 28, 1893, Chloe
S. Bryant, daughter of Charles and Ruth G.
( Stroll ) Br\ ant, and granddaughter of Charles
and Rebecca (Wilson) Bryant, natives of New
Jersey. Charles Bryant (father) was born Oc-
tober 28, 1835, in Eorty Eort borough. Eor
eight years he served in the capacity of overseer
On a large farm, after which he devoted his at-
tention to farming on his own account. He is a
member of the Presbyterian Church, and a Dem-
ocrat in politics. On December 5, 1861, he mar-
ried Ruth G. Stroh, daughter of Henry and
Margaret (Kreidler) Stroh, natives of Pennsyl-
vania, and of lierman descent. They were the
parents of five children : George ; Alice, married
John B. S. Keeler : Edith : Chloe S., wife of Dr.
Lampman ; and Richard R.

L. ELOYD HESS, an attorncy-at-law, whose
office is located in Wilkes-Iiarre, but whose resi-
dence is at Forty Eort, was born at Register, Lu-
zerne county, Pennsylvania, April 3, 1876, son of
Jeremiah and Mary (Hartman) Hess.

The pioneer ancestor of the American branch
of the family was Philip Hess, who came to this
country from Germany early in the seventeenth
century, settling in Xorthamiiton county, Penn-
svlvania, where his son, Jeremiah Hess, was born
and where he resided until an advanced age.
Philip Hess was accompanied to this country by
his brother. Philip Hess, son of Jeremiah Hess,



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 119 of 130)