Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 12 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 12 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


has lived a large portion of his life in Scranton.
He is a civil engineer by profession, though not
■active in practicing it. He married Eliza Mc-
Brair, of New York. He is a graduate of the
Van Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy,
New York. He has been interested in several en-
terprises notably the Union Switch and Signal
Company, of which he was one of the organizers
and which was afterwards sold to the Westing-
house interests. He was also interested in the
early development of Portland cement in this
country, and the rotarv kiln, so universally used
in the manufacture of Portland cement, was first
used by him. He is at present superintendent
and secretary of the Forest Hill Cemetery Asso-
ciation.

Colonel George Sanderson, second son of
■George Sanderson, was born in Towanda, Brad-
ford county, Pennsylvania, August 22, 1847, and
has been a resident of Scranton for upwards of
forty-nine years, during that long period recog-
nized as a leader among the enterprising and pro-
gressive men whose efforts have given to the citv
its high prestige and commanding importance in
industrial and financial afifairs. After graduating
from the Scranton high school he completed his
education in the Pennsylvania Military Academy.



He read law under the preceptorship of Samuel
Robb, Esq., in Philadelphia, and finished his pro-
fessional studies in the Harvard Law School,
from which he graduated in 1869, at the age of
twenty-two years. He practiced in Philadelphia
for two years, and in 1873 located permanently
in Scranton. While in active practice he was at-
torney in several important cases. Among the
most important was the case of Sanderson vs.
Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad,
and the Delaware and Hudson Railroad, in which
he obtained establishment of the principle that the
lease of coal lands in perpetuity was in effect a
=ale. and that the lessee, as a consequence, was
liable for the taxes. This was a far-reaching
proposition, affecting all perpetual coal land leases
in the state, and its validity was affirmed by de-
cision of the supreme court, to which august
tribunal it was finally brought. Colonel Sanderson
contending for it at every stage in the various
inferior courts. Another notable case in which
he was interested, though not actively, was that
of Sanderson vs. Pennsylvania Coal Company,
and another that of Sanderson vs. City of Scran-
ton, involving the liability of an abutting property
holder for the repair of street in front of his
property, and in which was affirmed his conten-
tion that such liability did not exist.

While industriousl}' engaged in his profes-
sion, Colonel Sanderson at the same time gave
much of his attention to industrial and public af-
fairs. He has long been vice-president and di-
rector of the Lackawanna Trust and Safe De-
posit Company, the oldest in the city, and one of
the most conservative and successful of its class
in the state. He succeeded his father in the man-
agement of the Green Ridge estate of Sanderson
& Robb, which they have developed into the most
beautiful suburban district of Scranton. He also
aided efficiently in beautifying the Forest Hill
Cemetery, and has been for years president of the
managing association known by that name. He
has always been actively identified with every
movement looking toward municipal improve-
ments, and was for the long period of thirteen
years a member of the select council from the
thirteenth ward, and is now serving as president
of the city sinking fund commission. For the
past few years he has given little attention to his
profession, devoting much of his time to his ex-
tensive business and financial interests.

Colonel Sanderson earned his military title
through long and useful service with the Na-
tional Guard of Pennsylvania, of which he was a
member for eight vears. He first served ( in



54



THE vVYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



1877) with the Scranton City Guards, afterwards
merged into the Thirteenth Regiment, enhsting
as a private in Company D. He was the orig-
inator of rifle practice in the National Guard, and
rose to the rank of colonel, serving upon the
governor's staff as inspector of rifle practice, and
in that capacity was primarilv mstrumental in
dtveloping that feature of the military service to
such a degree as to attract the ac'miration of na-
tional guardsmen throughout the country.

He holds membership in a number of social
organizations of the highest class — the Country
Club, Scranton Club, Green Ridge Wheelmen,
Germantown Cricket Club, New England Society
of Northeastern Pennsylvania, of which he was
formerly president, and the University Club of
Philadelphia. He is affiliated with various Ma-
sonic bodies, including the commandery. In poli-
tics he is a Republican, and he is known as an in-
fluential figure in the councils of the party, and
an effective advocate of its principles and poli-
cies.

Colonel Sanderson married Lucy Reed Jack-
son, and to them were born eight children, of
whom are now living: i. Edward Spalding, edu-
cated at Cornell University, connected with the
Scoville Manufacturing Company, Waterbury,
Connecticut ; he married Frederika Catlin, and has
one son, Edward. 2. Charles Reed, educated at
Cornell University, engaged in business in Elmi-
ra, New York ; he married Edith, daughter of H.
S. Brooks, of Elmira, New York. 3. James Gard-
ner, educated at Cornell University, gradtiated
from Chicago Law School, now practicing his
profession in Scranton ; he married Miss Beatrice
D. Tyler, daughter of Professor Charles Mellen
Tyler, of Cornell LTniversity, and has one child,
James Gardner Sanderson, Jr. 4. Helen Louise,
and (5) Marion K., both at home. 6. George
Jr., preparing for college at Lawrenceville ( New
Jersey) Preparatory School.

Mrs. Sanderson (nee Lucy Reed Jackson)
was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1846, and
traces her ancestry in several branches to and
prior to the fourteenth century. Data from the
parish records, entries in the Herald's College,
and "Genealogy and History of Watertown" fur-
nish the following facts as to her line, the restric-
tions of space prohibiting details of the others.

John Brown, Esquire, a magistrate of Stam-
ford, Lincolnshire, England, was born in the
early part of the fourteenth century, and held
office in 1376-77. His son

(H) John Browne, of Stamford, England,



was born about 1364. His son

(IH) John Brown, of Stamford, England,,
was a draper and merchant of the Staple of Ca-
lais, and was magistrate or alderman of Stamford
in 1414, 1422, and 1427. He built All Saints'
Church in Stamford, and is buried there dying
July 26, 1442. His wife died November 22,
1460, and lies beside him in the upper end 'of the .
north aisle. They had three children, the second
being

(I\') John Browne, of Stamford, who was.
also a draper, and was alderman in 1448, 1453,

and 1462. He married Agnes , and

died between 1462-1470. She died in 1470. Both
are buried in All Saints' Church. They had four
children, the eldest being

(V) Christopher Browne, of Stamford, and.
later of Tolethorpe, Rutland county, England.
His will is dated 1516, and is proven at London,
in February, 15 18. He was married twice, his

second wife being Agnes , of Beding-

field, Norfolk county, England. He was sheriff
of Rutlandshire in 1492, and from 1500 until
1509. He allied himself with Henry VH, and
assisted him against Richard HI, for which serv-
ice Henry VHL in the eighteenth year of his
reign, granted to his eldest son Francis, a patent
authorizing him, among other privileges, to re-
main with his head covered in the presence of
the king. In 1480 arms were granted to him by
Edward IV, as follows : In the first quarter, party
per bend, argent and sable ; in bend three mascles
bendways counterchanged. Before this grant the
arms were : "Sable three mallets argent," and
the crest "On a wreath argent and sable a demi-
stork, its neck nowed gules and wings displayed
argent. In its beak a scroll bearing the motto
'apprandrg a murir.' " Christopher Browne and
his wife had four sons, the second being

(VI) Christopher Browne, of Swan Hall,
Hawkedon, Suffolk county, England. His will
is dated May 27, 1531, and is proved in Bury St.
Edmunds, July 3, 1538. He had six children, the
second being

(VII) Christopher Browne, of Swan Hall,
Hawkedon, whose will was dated November 24,.
1568, and proved at Bury St. Edmunds, May 31,
1574. He was church warden in 1564. He had
four children the eldest being

(VIII) Thomas Browne, of Swan Hall,
whose will was dated December 22, 1590, and
proved at Bury St. Edmunds, January 26, 1591.
He died December 23, 1590. He had five chil-
dren, the fourth being.



THE WYOxMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



55



(IX) Abraham Browne, of Swan Hall, who
emigrated to Watertown, Massachusetts. He
was admitted a freeman March 6, 1631. He was
a land surveyor and held many important offices
of trust. He laid out the highway from Dor-
chester Field to the Flats. His will was proved
in ^Middlesex county, Massachusetts, October i,
1660, at- about which date he died. He had six
children, the fourth being

(X) Jonathan Browne, born in Watertown,
Massachusetts, October 15, 1635; married Feb-
ruary II, 1661, Mary Shattuck, daughter of Will-
iam Shattuck, of Watertown. She died October
23, 1732, aged eighty-seven years, and is buried
at Watertown. His will is dated February 19,
1690. His children, of whom there were ten,
dropped the final "e" in the spelling of the name.
The fifth child was

(XIj Abraham Brown, born in Watertown,
August 26, 1 67 1, died November zj , 1729, and
lies buried with his wife in the Waltham grave-
yard. He married Mary Hyde, daughter of Job
and Elizabeth (Fuller) Hyde, who died Novem-
ber 29, 1723. He was treasurer of Watertown,
1695-1700: assessor 1705; selectman and town
clerk 1712. His will is dated July 20, 1728. He
was the guardian of Ephraim Williams, the
founder of Williams College. He had nine chil-
dren, of whom the second was

(XH) Jonathan Brown, of Watertown, born
1694, died July 25, 1758. He married Elizabeth
Simonds, born in November, 1648, daughter of
Joseph and ^lary Simonds, of Lexington, and
granddaughter of William Simonds, of Woburn,
who married Judith, widow of James Heywood,
whose maiden name was Phiffin. Elizabeth died
August 6, 1765. Jonathan was a selectman of
Watertown in 1739-41. He had eight children,
the seventh being

(Xni) Lucy Brown was born in Water-
town, June 8, 1734, died in Gilsum, New Hamp-
shire, January, 1815. She was married February
17, 1 75-, to Colonel William Bond of the Bonds
of Bury St. Edmunds, England, the descendants
of whom settled in Watertown in 1630. Colonel
William Bond was also of Watertown. He was
born Februar\- 17, 1733, and died August 31,
1776, at Camp Alouirt Independence, opposite
Ticonderoga, and was there buried with military
honors. An extract from the Boston Ga::cttc of
September 23, 1776, reads: "'On the 31st ult., de-
parted this life Colonel William Bond. He met
the last enemy with the greatest calmness and in-
trepidity. In his death our country has lost a
true patriot and a most vigilant officer of tried



bravery." Colonel Bond fought in the battle of
Bunker Hill as lieutenant-colonel under Colonel
Thomas Gardner, and after the latter was killed
in battle Colonel Bond took command of the regi-
ment, which in November, 1775, was ordered to
New York, and on April 20 went to Canada by
way of the lakes. Bv his wife Lucy he had eleven
children, of whom the youngest was

(XIV) Susanna JBond, born in Watertown,
September 8, 1775, died February 27, 1803, in
Brookline, Massachusetts. She married Zephion
Thayer, born in Waltham, Massachusetts, Octo-
ber 12, 1769. He was son of Captain Jedediah
Thayer, a Revolutionary officer, and a grandson
of Captain Ebenezer Thayer, of Braintree, Mas-
sachusetts. Zephion and Susanna Thayer had
five children, the eldest being

(XV) Lucy Thayer, born September 6,
1791, died August 23, 1828. She married David
Reed, of Alstead, New Hampshire, and settled in
Surrey. New Hampshire. They had seven chil-
dren, among whom was

(XVI) Alaria Louisa Reed, born April 26,
1815, and is now (1904) living with her daugh-
ter, Lucy Reed Sanderson, in Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania. She was married October 3, 1843, to
Charles Jackson, son of Stephen W. and Lu-
cretia Jackson, of Boston, and great-grandson of
Major Timothy Jackson, a Revolutionary officer,
who in turn was a great-grandson of ]\Iajor Tim-
othy Jackson, an officer in the French and Indian
War. Charles Jackson died in China, leaving
several children, among whom was

(X\TI) Lucy Reed Jackson, born in Bos-
ton, in 1846, and became the wife of George San-
derson, of Scranton, Pennsylvania. There were
eight children of this marriage, six of whom are
now living.

DR. ISAIAH FAWKES EVERHART, a
physician of the highest professional attainments,
whose name is honorably inscribed upon the rolls
of the medical corps of the United States army
during the Civil war ; an accomplished man of
letters ; and a scientist whose labors have enriched
the literature of the state of his nativity, espec-
ially in the field of natural history, is one of the
most distinguished representatives of one of the
most prominent of Pennsylvania families, whose
ancestral historv is written in the preceding nar-
rative. Three sons of his father's brother were
men of conspicuous talent, i. Benjamin M. Ev-
erhart, who died in West Chester, Pennsvlvania,
September 22, 1904 ; out of nine hundred quota-
tions in a celebrated botanical volume published



56



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



in Italy, more than six. hundred were from his
own work ; he left a large estate and fine botan-
ical library. 2. Hon. James B. Everhart, de-
ceased, a graduate of Princeton, was reared to
the law, but never entered upon practice ; he
principally followed literary pursuits, and among
his best known productions was his volume of
"Miscellanies," "Everhart's Poems," and "The
Fox Chase." He served in Congress from Ches-
ter county for two terms. 3. John R. Everhart,
a graduate of Princeton, was an accomplished
physician, and served as surgeon of the Ninety-
seventh Pennsylvania Regiment in the Civil war.

Dr. Everhart was born in Berks county, Penn-
sylania, January 22, 1840, the youngest son of
James and Mary (Templin) Everhart. He ac-
quired his elementary education in the common
schools in his home neighborhood, attended a
nearby academy, and at the early age of seven-
teen years matriculated in Franklin and Marshall
College at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. There he
pursued a scientific course, giving especial atten-
tion to those branches in which he afterward at-
tained great proficiency, and for which he mani-
fested a preference from his early boyhood. After
graduation from college he entered upon the study
of medicine. The breaking out of the Civil war
found him thus engaged, and he became connected
with the West Philadelphia United States Mili-
tary Hospital, then under the charge of Dr.
Hayes, of Arctic Exploration fame, and with
four thousand patients.

He rendered faithful and industrious service
in this great institution, meantime pursuing his
studies under the course prescribed by the med-
ical department o,f the University of Pennsyl-
vania, in which he was matriculant, and was
graduated therefrom with the class of 1863, and
was at once commissioned assistant surgeon with
the rank of first lieutenant in the Eighth Regiment
Pennsylvania Cavalry, and went to the front to
join that command. February 9, 1865, he was
promoted to full surgeon with the rank of major.
Julv 24 of the same year his regiment was con-
solidated with the Sixteenth Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Cavalry, under the latter designation, and
in which he retained his rank. He participated in
all the operations in which his command was en-
gaged, as a part of the Army of the Potomac, dur-
ing the crucial battle months of the summer of
1863 and all of i86.i and a portion of 1865, cover-
ing all the operations under General Grant in the
terrible grapple with the resourceful foe. At-
tached to an ever ranidlv moving cavalry column,
in constant touch with the enemy. Surgeon Ever-
hart's duties were arduous and incessant, and onlv



to be performed under the most disadvantageous
circumstances. The equipment ot the hospital
department was necessarily most meagre.
Wounds must needs be treated and amputations
made on the spot, under a tree at the side of the
road, or in a fence corner, and the injured man,
no matter how desperate his condition, must be
put in an ambulance or army wagon and con\^eyed
with the troops scores of miles, perhaps hun-
dreds, until a point was reached from which he
could be sent to an established hospital. At the
close of the active campaigning and when the
rebel armies were about to be disbanded. Surgeon
Everhart found his first comparative respite, be-
ing assigned to duty as surgeon-in-chief of the
Military District of Lynchburg (Virginia), which
position he occupied until he was honorably mus-
tered out of the service of the United States,
August II, 1865, four months after the cessation
of hostilities.

Following his retirement from the army. Dr.
Everhart, in company with his brother. Dr. James
M. Everhart, made an extended tour of Europe,
visiting all the important industrial and art cen-
tres. In 1868 he returned and took up his resi-
dence in Scranton, where he entered upon the
practice of his profession and in which he has
continued with marked success and signal use-
fulness. His standing in his profession found
recognition in his being soon called to various im-
portant positions — as a member of the medical
staff of the Scranton State Hospital, and of the
Scranton Board of Health, and as surgeon of the
Ninth Regiment of Pennsylvania State Militia,
with headquarters al Wilkes-Barre. He is
largely interested in anthracite coal lands, and is
president of the Everhart Coal Company, a di-
rector in the Scranton F^^ing Company, and
with his nephew, James E. Lechel, operates the
Everhart Brass Works.

It is in the field of science however, that Dr.
Everhart has attained his principal distinction,
and to it he has devoted his entire attention since
his retirement from his profession a few years
ago. Fond of outdoor occupations, his long
travels, and his tramps afoot with gun or rod,
have brought him, as his chief recreation, into
communion with nature and her visible forms,
bringing ever new delight to himself, and real and
enduring benefits to the scientific world. He has
ransacked his own state for the discover\' of its ■
beauties of field and forest, and in 1893 made an
extended tour through Mexico, the Pacific coast
and Alaska in similar quest. A skillful taxi-
dermist, his collections of mounted animals and
birds, made during a period of forty years, in-



THE \\"YOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



57



elude nearly every known species found in Penn-
sylvania, besides very many from other states.
He has also made a very extensive collection of
the native woods of Pennsylvania, which he has
prepared in such a way as to display their every
beautv of structure, and which are housed in an
edifice adjoining his residence, specially con-
structed for the purpose. Perhaps his most la-
borious and painstaking achievement is the work
which now mainly engrosses his attention — the
gathering and classification of the seeds of every
form of vegetation native to Pennsylvania, which
will soon represent more than a thousand varieties
and is a most interesting collection of its kind.
These invaluable collections Dr. Everhart pur-
poses to devise to some scientific institution, where
they will be of real and ever increasing value as
the years go by, and types of the animal and vege-
table life disappear forever from the earth, as dis-
appear many of them will. In this great life-
work Dr. Everhart has, without such purpose in
view, reared to himself a monument of wonderful
significance. Of immense intrinsic worth as an
•educational force, it will also stand as a revelation
of The J\lan Himself, of his serenity and rever-
ence in his "looking from Nature up to Nature's
■God," and of his sympathy with all mankind.

In 187 1 Dr. Everhart married Miss Annie
Victoria Ubil, and to them was born a son, Edwin
Ellsworth Everhart, in 1873. Mrs. Everhart
died in 1898, after a protracted illness borne with
touching patience and resignation. She was a
woman of refinement and nobility of character,
and left a deep impress upon society. Beautiful
in her home life, great of heart and sympathetic
beyond most, her strong personality and exalted
principles brought to her general esteem and ad-
miration. Through all the years af her residence
in Scranton she was among the foremost in its
charitable work. As head of a committee of the
Woman's Guild of St. Luke's ( Protestant Epis-
copal) Church, of which she was a devoted mem-
ber, she had especial charge of seeking out and
relieving the necessities of the poor of the parish,
and her gentle ministrations extended to the suf-
:fering wherever they were to be found. One of
the most pathetic incidents of her illness was the
tender and solicitous inquiry constantly made of
her by those who had been the objects of her ten-
der care. The Young Women's Christian Asso-
ciation also lost by her death one of its most de-
voted and capable helpers. She was vice-presi-
dent of this body for some years, a director from
its inception, occupying that position at the time
of her death, and was also chairman of the gym-
-nasium committee. She was business manager



of Our Woman's Paper during the year of its
publication, and much of its success was due to
her intelligent and zealous effort. She left a
fragrant memory to be deeply cherished in the
dear familiar places where she made sunshine and
gladness, and to bring forth fruit in other lives
through the seeds of charity and loving kindness
so\vn\v her in life. Until a few months before
her death she w-as possessed of excellent health,
but a series of peculiarly distressing family afflict-
ions gave to her sensitive nervous system a shock
which marked the beginning of a complication
of disorders which would not yield to the best of
medical skill and the most devoted care of her
husband and son, and other dear ones. In jMay
preceding her decease, her brother-in-law, James
Everhart, who made his home with her family,
died suddenly in the arms of his brother, her hus-
band. Another brother, Samuel, who had come
to attend the funeral, also died at the home of Dr.
Everhart a month later. It is a remarkable coin-
cidence that both these fatalities and others that
followed occurred on the 14th day of the month.
William, a brother of Dr. Everhart, had died the
14th of December previous, and on the 14th of
February occurred the death of Mrs. Everhart.
This last bitter sorrow visited upon an already
deeply afflicted family, intensified the general
grief' bevond the power of expression, and the
funeral services held over the remains of the
lamented wife and mother were pathetic beyond
the telling, but left a sw-eet though sorrowful con-
solation in the thought that the pathos of her
death gave a richer and deeper meaning to the
lesson of her lovely life.

JAMES ^lARION EVERHART, deceased,
of Scranton, was one of the most widely useful
men of his day, a master of large affairs, a leading
manufacturer, industrialist and capitalist. He
was a strong factor, also, in the higher life of the
community, devoting his efifort and means to
whatever was of advantage to his fellowmen, and
leaving behind him a memory fragrant with gen-
ial influences and kindly deeds.

He came of a German family of royal blood
dating from the thirteenth century. The original
name was Eberhart, which was changed to its
present form by James Everhart, of the Revolu-
tionary period. Eberhard. "the Xoble," was born
in Wurtemberg, IMarch 13, 1265, was one of the
most daring warriors of the soldier race from
which he sprang. The family records show that
he was of large frame, well proportioned, of great
dignity of carriage, and educated beyond his fel-
lows. Forceful and ambitious, he conceived the



58



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



idea of creating Wiirtemberg into a kingdom,
and, notwithstanding the discouragements of
friends and the tlireats of enemies, he carried his
purpose into effect, although at the end of a fortv-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 12 of 130)