Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 121 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 121 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the interest of his enterprises and to insure se-
curing the most exclusive scenes from the Old
World.

His well deserved and unique reputation has
proceeded not only from his fine attention to the
mechanical and electrical details of projection,
but he has become an influential educator. How
influential may be inferred from the fact that
hundreds of thousands annually are not only en-
tertained but instructed by the vivid, graphic and
faithful moving pictures of national and inter-
national importance which he gathers with tire-
less zeal from all parts of the world. Methods,
habits, customs, dress, processes, transportation,
industrial activities — all phases of life from all
lands are transferred by him on the curtain with
such added charm and fidelity that legions of pa-
trons find his exhibitions of aminated scenes a
source of knowledge that would not be obtained
in any other way. Those who lack the means,
time or inclination to enjoy the luxury and knowl-
edge that travel imparts realize by Mr. Howe's
efforts and exhibitions a medium of seeing at
minimum cost and with maximum comfort what
would otherwise be entirely denied them. Ac-
cordingly his exhibitions have justly become an
institution with the double mission of educating
and entertaining.

I-n the conduct of his various enterprises, Mr.
Howe necessarily maintains commodious offices
and an efficient office staff in Wilkes-Barre. from
which point he directs and manages his enter-
prises. He is prominently identified with many
local enterprises, and his public spirit and inter-
est in the welfare of the community at large make
him one of that type of citizens that are all too
rare. His uniform courtesy and affability, and
his native good humor and gentleness of manner
have made him widely popular. He is a member
of Lodge No. 61, Free and Accepted Masons;
Shekinah Chapter, No. 82 ; Mount Horeb Coun-
cil. Xo. 34 : Dieu le Veut Commandery, No. 45,
and Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles
of the ^lystic Shrine, Elks Lodge. No. 109, and
of the Board of Trade.

Mr. Howe married, September 26, 188S, M.
Alice Koehler, daughter of Franklin and Susan
( Newhard) Koehler. Mr. and Mrs. Howe, hav-
ing no children of their own. adopted a sen whom



5S2



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



they named Harold Nathan Howe, born May 22,
190 1. FrankUn Koehler, Mrs. Howe's father,
followed the occupations of miller and farmer,
but now leads a retired life at his home in Allen-
town, Pennsylvania, of which city he has been
a life-long and honored resident. His wife, who
died in 1898, at the age of sixty-one years, bore
him the following children : Emma J., born April
30, 1857: M. AHce, born August 15, i860, (wife
of Mr. Howe) ; Joseph H., born October 8, 1863 '■
William, born August 15, 1868; Robert L., born
January 5, 1872; and S. Gertrude, born April 5,
1875. Mr, and Mrs. Howe are both communi-
cants of the First Presbyterian Church of Wilkes-
Barre. H. E. H.

HON. THEODORUS HART, during a long
and active career, exercised a potent influence in
advancing the material and moral interests of
his town and state. In the newspaper world he
was known for his great ability, and unflinching
adherence to principle.

Mr. Hart was born September 10, 1847, 'n
Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, a son of
Theodorus and Eliza (Ruland) Hart, both na-
tives of the state of New York, and now de-
ceased. He received but a common school edu-
cation, but this proved a substantial foundation,
and out of his own ambition and industrv he ac-
quired a fund of knowledge which enabled him
as a journalist to take a front place with his con-
temporaries throughout the commonwealth. .\
large part of his information came to him while
he was an apprentice in a printing office, through
careful and self-chosen reading, after the fashion
of a class of newspaper men now practicallv ex-
tinct. This training was during a period when
the country was passing through its greatest
crisis — the conflict between the free-soilers and
the slavery extensionists. He learned his politi-
cal creed from the writings and platform utter-
ances of the great leaders of that day — Lincoln,
Greeley, Thaddeus Stevens, Andrew G. Curtin,
and others of the same illustrious stamp ; and he
held to his political principles with a consistency
and tenacity alike to their own.

Having mastered his trade, he worked as a
journeyman in various places, including Pitts-
ton, where, in 1874, at the age of twenty-seven,
he purchased a half interest in the Weekly Ga-
zette. This was the first newspaper established
in the place, as long ago as August, 1850, by G.
M. Richart and H. S. Phillips. " It was at first a
seven-column folio, a weekly issue. Originallv
an exponent of Whig principles, it became Re-
publican in 1856, when that party was organized



and set up as its first presidential standard bearer.
General (then Captain) John C. Fremont, and
it ■ wielded a strong influence in that campaign.
In 1853 ^^r. Richart bought out the interest of
his partner and conducted the paper alone until
1857, when he sold it to Dr. John H. Puleson, a
native of Wales, who subsequently returned to
his own land and was afterward heard of as a
member of parliament. In i860 the Gazette was
purchased by G. M. Richart, Benjamin D. Beyea
and Abel C. Thompson, who conducted it until
1863, when r.Ir. Richart again became proprietor.
In 1869 the plant was leased by J. W. Freeman,
and after a year Mr. Richart again assumed the
publication of the paper. In the following vear
(1870) Mr. Theodorus Hart purchased a half
interest, becoming junior member of the firm of
Richart & Hart. This association was maintained
until May I, 1878, when Mr. Hart became sole
proprietor, and so continued until his death, in
April, 1901. During this period he made many
important innovations, adding greatly to the
worth and prestige of his paper. In 1882 he be-
gan the publication of the Daily Ez'ening Gacettc.
and in 1890 enlarged the weekly edition to an
eight-column sheet. The extent of the develop-
ment of the Gazette may be appreciated by point-
ing to the increased mechanical equipment which
]\Ir. Hart installed — a new Babcock press and a
Hoe cylinder, in addition to the old Taylor press,
with steam power, turning out four thousand
copies an hour ; while during the same time he
introduced an entirely modern job printing equip-
ment. Throughout the years which witnessed
!Mr. Hart's newspaper labors in Pittston, nearly a
dozen rivals made their appearance, only to dis-
appear after periods of a few months to a few
years.

Mr. Hart was a forceful writer, and his paper
bore the impress of his sturdy personality through
several important political campaigns, beginning
wit.h the second presidential candidacy of Gen-
eral Grant to that of Major McKinley. While
he was strong in his advocacy of his political
principles as an old-line Republican, he was none
the less in earnest in advocating the interests of
his town, county and state, and he was a leader
in every movement promising of local improve-
ment along material, moral and educational lines.
Church and school both lay dear to his heart, and
to 'them he contributed every aid in his power.
In religion he was a Baptist. He had served as
president of the Young Glen's Christian .Associa-
tion, and as treasurer of the Penn.sylvatiia Chris-
tian Endeavor Union. He represented the Lu-
zerne-Lackawanna district in the state leT'isla-




^?^:^^




l6Iku^Qy^J^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



585



ture in the session of 1885-86. He was prom-
inent in the two leading fraternal orders — the
Masons and Odd Fellows — and in the former
had attained to the thirty-second degree. His
death left a great void in whatever he was asso-
ciated with, and in the community at large. In
the line of his profession, it is pleasing to note
that his mantle fell upon the capable shoulders
of the husband of his onlv child, Mr. William J.
Peck.

Mr. Hart was twice married, his first wife
being Rebecca Dymond. His second wife was
]Mrs. E. E. (Hopkins) Davis. His daughter, by
the first marriage, Marv Lawson Dymond, be-
came the wife of Mr. William J. Peck.

WILLIAM JOSEPH PECK, well known as
the editor and proprietor of the Pittston (Penn-
sylvania) Daily Gazette, was born at Scranton,
Pennsylvania, January 24, 1874, oldest son of
William H. and Arminda (Kyte) Peck., (See
sketch of William H. Peck and ancestry else-
where in this work).

William J. Peck was educated in the public
schools of Scranton, prepared for college at the
School of the Lackawanna, and graduated with
honors from Syracuse University, class of 1896,
receiving the classical degree, Bachelor of Arts.
While in college he obtained his first experience
in journalistic work as business manager of the
college paper. From 1896 to 1898 Mr. Peck was
junior member of the firm of Millar & Peck,
which conducted "China Hall," a wholesale and
retail china, glass and crockery establishment at
Scranton, and while there became an expert china
packer.

Mr. Peck moved to Pittston, in August, 1898.
and became a member of the Gazette staff, his
father-in-law. Hon. Theodoras Hart, being the
publisher. In December of the same year Mr.
Peck was appointed deputy postmaster of Pitts-
ton under Mr. Hart, and upon the death of the
latter was made acting postmaster from April,
190 1. The same year he was commissioned as
postmaster by President McKinley : in 1902 he
was appointed for a full term by President Roose-
velt, and in 1906 was again appointed for four
years by President Roosevelt.

Upon the death of Theodoras Hart, the sub-
ject of this sketch became owner of the Pittston
Daily Gazette, May 7, 1901. Here his natural
taste for machinery became of practical use to
him. for it became immediately necessary to thor-
oup^hly overhaul the printing plant and equip it
with the needful modern appliances. New ma-
chinery was installed, including linotype ma-



chines and perfecting pi'ess. From the four-
page Gazette of 1901 the paper increased in size
and circulation, and the number of pages varies
from eight to sixteen daily. Mr. Peck takes a
just pride in publishing one of the acknowledged
best papers in northeast Pennsylvania. Its typo-
graphic?! improvement is his constant study and
aim. The editorial policy of the Gazette has been
Republican since the founding of the party, and
Air. Peck, being a staunch Republfcan, gives
loyal support to the party through its columns
although quick to condemn wrongdoing in either
political organization. A large and well-equipped
commercial printing plant is conducted by Air.
Peck in connection with the newspaper.

Inheriting a strong love of nature, he at an
earlv age showed a great fondness for flowers,
and when a bov grew pansy plants for market.
His floral proclivities have been manifest in re-
cent years through the fine collection of pond
lilies of varied sort and hue grown in a cement
pool at his home in \^'est Pittston. Air. Peck is
a member of the First Afethodist Episcopal
church of West Pittston. In society connections
he is as follows: a member of St. John's Lodge,
No. 233, Free and Accepted Alasons. at Pitts-
ton, Pennsvlvania : 'New England Society of
Northeast Pennsylvania : Pennslyvania Editorial
Association ; Pittston Board of Trade ; Delta
Upsilon fraternity. He was a delegate to the
National Editorial Association at St. Louis in
1904.

He was married, October 6, 1897, at Pittston,
Pennsylvania, to Lawson Dymond Hart, only
child of the late Hon. Theodoras Hart. (See
preceding sketch.) Airs. Peck had received her
education in the West Pittston schools and Wyo-
ming Seminary, graduating at Syracuse Univer-
sity in music and Belles Lettres course in 1896.
Children were born as follows : A daughter, born
December 31, 1898. died January 3, 1890; Alary
Hart Peck, born Februarv I7, 190^. died Au-
gust 3, 1905, both buried in West Pittston cem-
etery : a son, Theodoras .Hart Peck, born Alay
16, 1906.

JACOB FLEISCHAIANN. deceased, for
many years the proprietor of a grocery store on
Alain street, Wilkes-Barre, was a man of in-
teo-ritv and honor, and the position attained by
him in commercial circles was gained by the exer-
cise of energ^• and unconquerable determination.
He was a native of Bavaria, Lamsheim, born in
i8v^. a son of Henrv and Alargaret Fleischmann,
who were the parents of one other child. Alar-
garet Fleischmann. Henrv Fleischmann (father)



584



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



was a weaver in the old country and followed the
same after his arrival in America in 1841, and
kept to his profession until his death. He es-
tablished a general store on River street, Wilkes-
Barre, which he conducted for a number of years.
He was a member of the German Lutheran
Church on Washington street, Wilkes-Barre, to
the building of which edifice he contributed gen-
erously, and prior to its erection the Sunday
school attached to the same was held in his home.
He was a Democrat in politics. His death oc-
curred at his home in Wilkes-Barre, 1871. He
was survived by his widow, who passed away
December 23, 1886, aged seventy-seven years and
five months. Henry Fleischmann adopted three
orphan children, two girls and a boy, by the name
of Fink.

Jacob Fleischmann accompanied his parents
and sister to the CTnited States when eight years
of age, they settling in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsyl-
vania, in the private schools of which citv voung
Jacob secured a thorough education. After vari-
ous employments he entered the service of a J\Ir.
IMorgan, who was engaged in the coal business
at Ashley, Pennsylvania, and for several years
served in the capacity of timekeeper and clerk.
He then entered the employ of a Mr. Tracev, at
South Franklin and Market streets, Wilkes-
Barre, and after several years service with him
became clerk in the postoffice under a Mr. Rei ch-
ard, remaining for a number of years. He then
established a grocery store on Main street,
Wilkes-Barre, which building he erected in 1876,
and this he thoroughly stocked with a full line of
reliable goods. This enterprise proved a most
]jrofitable investment, bringing to Mr. Fleisch-
mann fair returns for labor expended. He ac-
quitted himself in such a way as to gain the con-
fidence and esteem of all with whom he was as-
sociated, and his business capability was recog-
nized throughout the communit\-. He was a
member of the German Lutheran church, a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
for a number of years, and in politics was an
adherent of Democratic principles.

Mr. Fleischmann married (first) Charlotte
Rittersbaugb. who bore him two children, Mar-
garet, and Henry, deceased, and whose death
occurred February 8, 1880. Mr. Fleischmann
married (second) Julia Rittersbaus;h, sister of
his first wife, who bore him six children : Char-
lotte, died January 21, 1886. Charles S., died
June 4, 1864. George R., died 1896. Jacob C,
died Mav 17, 1868, Chrissie. Louisa, died July
25, 1876. Mr. Fleischmann married (third)
Dorothea (Joel) Pehling, Julv 5, 1883, in New



York. She was born April 22, 1838, in Nurem-
berg, Hanover, German)-, a daughter of Charles
and Louisa (Miltz) Joel, whose family consisted
of six children, Dorothea being the eldest.
Charles Joel emigrated to the United States
from his native land, Germany, and settled in
New York. Jacob Fleischmann died at his home
in W^ilkes-Barre, July 26, 1891, aged fiftv-eight
years, and his remains were interred in Hollen-
back cemetery. Airs. Fleischmann, who is a most
estimable woman in every respect, is living at the
present time ( 1905) in the city of Wilkes-Barre,
Pennsylvania, where she is highly esteemed by
her neighbors and friends. H. E. H.

HERMAN A. FISCHER, M. D., of Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania, is a native of that city, born
March 38, 1877, a son of Adam and Mary
(Abel) Fischer, of Hirschfeldt, Hesse Cassel,
Germany, who came to America about 1865 and
located in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

Adam Fischer was born November 13, 1840,
son of John and Margaret (IMaus) Fischer. John
Fischer was son of Christopher Tobias Fischer, a
tailor or weaver, who died in Germany, Ajjril 18,
1839. Adam Fischer attended the common
schools in the neighborhood of his home, and
learned the shoemaking trade in Germany, where
he followed it for a livelihood. After coming to
the United States he entered the emplov of Au-
gust Schnell, of Plymouth, Pennsylvania, who
was engaged in the same line of business, and
there continued for some time. Later he opened
a shoe store at the corner of East Northampton
and South Washington streets, Wilkes-Barre,
and there continued until 18S2 when he moved
his business to the opposite side of the street and
continued the same until 1889. In April, 1883,
he took possession of the Old Mansion House on
East Northampton street, ^^'ilkes-Barre, which
he conducted until his death, which occurred Oc-
tober 26, 1901, aged sixt}'-one years. His wife,
Mary (Abel) Fischer, born October 21, 1841,
died April 4, 1894, aged fifty-three years, and
their remains are interred at Hollenb'ack ceme-
tery, Wilkes-Barre. They were the parents of
seven sons, namely : Louis, who married Martha
Mork, resides in Buckley, \\'ashington. Adam,
who died at the age of four years. Frederick,
who married Alice Sackett, resides in Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania. Archibald, who died in
infancy. Edward, who married Bessie Corne-
lius, resides in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Her-
man A., mentioned hereafter. Robert W., a resi-
dent of Wilkes-Barre. Adam Fischer ( father)
was a Democrat in politics. For many years he



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



_^8



D'^D



was a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, of \V'ilkes-Barre, was a member of the
Concordia Society at the time of his death, and
Avas formerly a member of the Saengerbund
Society, both of Wilkes-Barre. Mr. and Mrs.
Fischer were for many years members of St.
J'aul Lutheran Church, and later of the Zion
Keformed Church.

Herman A. Fischer, son of Adam Fischer,
•was educated in the public schools of Wilkes-
Barre, his native city, and Wyoming Seminary,
Kingston, and in September, 1895, entered the
University of Pennsylvania, from which he was
graduated June 13, 1900. The first three months
after his graduation he served on the dispensary
staff of the University Dispensary, and for one
year thereafter was interne at ^lercy Hospital,
^^'ilkes-Barre, thus gaining a practical knowledge
"which has proved most useful to him in his
active career. In November, 1901, he began the
practice of his profession in Wilkes-Barre, where
he still continues, steadily gaining each year more
patients, and winning for himself an enviable
reputation among his fellow practitioners. He
is a member of the Luzerne County Medical
Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society,
and the American Medical Association. He is
a member of Anthracite Council, No. 487, Junior
Order of United American Mechanics, and was
elected councilor, July i, 1905. His religious
Tiews coincide with the doctrines of the Re-^
formed church, and in politics he favors the prin-
ciples of the Republican party, believing them
best for the country's welfare.

Dr. Fischer married, December 17, 1901,
JMargaret Roche, daughter of Thomas and Ann
(Igo) Roche, of Plainsville, Pennsylvania, and
a descendant of an Irish lineage. Their children
are : Herman Thomas : Adam, born September
30, 1903 ; and Marian, born March 23, 1905.
Thomas Roche, father of Mrs. Dr. Fischer, was
'born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, April 24, 1854,
son of Thomas and Katherine (O'Hara) Roche,
of county Mayo, Ireland. His wife, Ann (Igo)
Roche, was a daughter of John and Ellen ( Cos-
tello) Igo, of Sligo, and county Mayo, Ireland,
respectively. Thomas Tucker, step-father of
INIrs. Ann figo) Roche, was a soldier in the
Civil war. Thomas and Ann (Igo) Roche were
the parents of the following children : Margaret,
■wife of Dr. Fischer, born November 6, 1882.

Mary, born .A^ugust 13, 1884: , born

August I, 1886, died in infancy; Anna, born
l\Iarch I, 1888; Ellen, born September 18, 1891 ;
Katherine, born November 24, 1893 ; and Agnes,
"born March 3, 1897. H. E. H.



JOHN TRITLE LUTHER SAHM, whose
knowledge of the principles of law and familiar-
ity with the statutes have been the chief factors
in the successful performance of the duties de-
volving upon him as chief deputy prothonotary of
Luzerne county, in which capacity he has served
since January, 1880, is a native of Greencastle,
Franklin county, Pennsylvania, the date of his
birth being September 6, 1843. His parents were
the Rev. Peter and Susan (Tritle) Sahm. His
grandfather was John Sahm, who was born in
the vicinity of Manheim, Lancaster county, Penn-
sylvania, where he followed the occupations of
farming and distilling, dying at the age of forty-
seven years. His ancestors were natives of Wur-
temburg, Germany, who located in Pennsylvania
at an early date.

Rev. Peter Sahm. D. D., was born near Man-
heim, Lancaster county, in 1809. After acquir-
ing a thorough education in the rudimentary
branches in the common schools he entered the
Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg,
Pennsylvania, from which institution he was
graduated in the class of 1831. The following
year he began his ministerial labors, and having
an aptitude for the profession he chose for his
life Vk'ork, and being a master of the German as
well as the English language, his ministry of
about forty-four years' duration was most suc-
cessful. His sermons were logical, impressive
and eloquent, his pastoral work was performed
faithfully and conscientiously, and he exerted a
powerful influence for good in the community by
carrying out in his daily walk and conversation
the lessons he taught from the pulpit. He
served as pastor in the following named places :
Maytown, Middletown, St. Thomas, Greencas-
tle, Blairsville, Johnstown, Indiana, Friedens-
burg. Loysville, Aaronsburg, and New Berlin.
Although a firm believer in the doctrines of the
Lutheran church, he was liberal in his views on
christiantiy, and the last Sabbath of his life was
spent in participating in the exercises of the ded-
ication of the Lutheran Church at Laurelton,
Pennsylvania. He married Susan Tritle, daugh-
ter of the late John Tritle, of Guilford, Franklin
countv, Pennsylvania, who devoted his active
career to agricultural pursuits on the old home-
stead near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and a
granddaughter of Jacob Tritle, who was a native
of Bavaria, from whence he emigrated to this
countrv, locating in Franklin county, Pennsylva-
nia, where he was a farmer and distiller. The
following children were the issue of this mar-
riage : John T. L., mentioned hereafter ; Theoph-
ilus H. T., a lawj'er at Hamburg, Iowa ; William



S86



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



K. T., a physician at AlcCoysville, Pennsylvania,
for many years, now engaged in the service of
the Pennsylvania Railroad relief department at
Pittsburg: and Malancthan O. T., a Liitherali
minister, now engaged as principal of a school in
Clearfield county, Pennsylvania. Rev. Peter
Sahm, D. D., died at Laurelton, Union county,
Pennsylvania, March 14, 1876, in the sixty-sev-
enth year of his age. His remains are interred at
New Berlin, Pennsylvania.

John T. L. Sahm pursued his studies at a
select school which was under the preceptorship
of Silas M. Clark, a well known educator, and
later one of the judges of the supreme court of
Pennsylvania, and completed his preparatory
studies at Somerset Academy. He then entered
the Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg, and
after the regular course there was graduated in
the class of 1862. He studied law in the office of
B. Mclntyre at New Bloomfield, Perry county,
Pennsylvania, and was admitted to the Perry
county bar in April, 1865, after passing a success-
ful competitive examination. He then located in
Mifflintown, Juniata county, Pennsylvania, and
the following year was elected district attorney
of this county, his term of office being three
years. He then entered into partnership witlj
Ezra D. Parker and they conducted a successful
legal practice under the firm name of Parker &
Sahm until 1873, a period of four years, when
Mr. Sahm removed to Wilkes-Barre. He was
admitted to the Luzerne county bar, April 23,
1873. The following December he accepted a
clerkship in the office of the prothonotary, and in
January, 1880, was appointed chief deputy to



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 121 of 130)