Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 124 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 124 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


enterprises on his own account. From 1887 to
1890 he was general manager of the New York,
Susquehanna" and Western Railroad and Coal
Companies, with headquarters in Scranton. From
1890 to 1898 was general superintendent of the
Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company, and
from" 1898 to the present time has been treasurer
of the International Correspondence Schools_ of
Scranton. Mr. Lawall is also present consulting



596



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



engineer of the Delaware, Lackawanna and West-
ern Coal Company ; secretary of the Diamond
Land and Improvement Company ; president of
the Attica Electric Light, Water and Gas Com-
pany ; consulting engineer of the American Ex-
ploitation Company of Denver, Colorado ; treas-
urer of the Town Topics Gold Mining Company
of Central City, Colorado : president of the Cleve-
land and Scranton Oil Company of Cleveland,
Ohio : vice-president Sterling Mining and ]\Iilling
Company of Idalio : director of the Hazleton Iron
Works ; and an expert engineer for various other
corporations of like character with those prev-
iously mentioned. Mr. Lawall is a member of
Westmoreland Club, University Club of Philadel-
phia, Euclid Club, Cleveland, Ohio, and the Coun-
trv Clubs of Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, Penn-
svlvania. Elmer Henry Lawall married, June
14, 1888, Carolyn Johns, daughter of the late
George Johns, coal operator of Audenreid, Penn-
svlvania. Their children are : Elise, a student at
Streatham, England ; Marie, student at Mon-
treal, Canada ; and Claire, at home.

H. E. H.

LLEWELLYN FAMILY. James Llewel-
lyn and Mary Evans, his wife, were natives of
Wales, and were of Pembrokeshire when they de-
termined to emigrate with their family to Amer-
ica in 1869, less than two-score years ago. James
Llewellyn in Wales had learned a trade there, and
came to this country to better his own condition
and that of his children, as did the Puritans of
New England more than two centuries before his
time. He settled in Pittston, Pennsylvania,
where he was a stone contractor to the time of his
death in 1902, at the age of seventy years. His
wife, Mary Evans, died in 1901. Mr. Llewellyn
was a member of the Masonic order, with a high
standing in fraternal circles, and also was a de-
voted member of the Baptist church. James
Llewellyn a'nd Mary Evans had children: i.
Sarah, wife of James W. Davis, a stone mason
of West Pittston, Penns)'lvania. 2. George J.,
lawyer of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, of whom
later. 3. Anna, wife of Clarence Shipman, of
Norwalk, Connecticut. 4. Polly, wife of Mor-
ris Bierly, of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. 5.
Owen, contractor of Pittston. Pennsylvania. 6.
John, died 1903 : former business man of West
Pittston : treasurer of the borough, and at the
time of his death member of the West Pittston
school board. 7. James Grant, business man ;
member of the firm of J. D. Delahunty & Com-
panv, West Pittston, Penns\-lvania. 8. Eliza-
beth, died 1886.



George J. Llewellyn, second child of James-
Llewellyn and his wife, Mary Evans, was born in
Pembrokeshire, Wales, September 24, 1856, and
was about thirteen )-ears old when he came with
his parents to America and settled in Pittston,
Pennsylvania. His early education was acquired
partly in Pembrokeshire and partly in Pittston,
and upon attaining his majority he associated with,
his father in contracting and building enterprises.
In 1886 he became proprietor of a mercantile bus-
iness in Pittston, as hardware dealer, plumber,
and tinner, which he continued until January,
1895, when he sold out. In the fall of 1894 he
was elected prothonotary of Luzerne county for a
term of three years ; and in 1896, in connection
with his official duties, he became a law student
under the preceptorship of John T. Lenahan, of
Wilkes-Barre. In June. 1902, Ije was admitted
to practice, and in the spring of the next year be-
came partner with Judge Troutman, who was one
of the board before whom Mr.. Llewellyn was,.
with thirty-five other young legal aspirants, ar-
raigned and examined before admission to the bar
under the requirements of the rules of the
courts ; and it may be stated in this connection
that, of the class of thirty-six presented for ex-
amination at that time, onlv six were successful,
and of the fortunate half-dozen George J. Llew-
ellyn's name was among the first in standing and
proficiency. He served as deputy internal rev-
enue collector from 1898 to 1901, when he was-
appointed warden of the Luzerne county prison,
and served in that capacity a little more than two
years. Politically Mr. Llewellyn is a Republican,
firm in his allegiance to his party, and one of the
most active and efTective exponents of its princi-
ples in northeastern Pennsylvania. For eight
years he acceptably filled the office of secretary
of the State League of Republican Clubs, and in
September, 1904, was elected first vice-president.
During a period of twelve years he did not fail
to attend every national convention of that bodv,
and was a delegate in five successive years ; was-
secretary of the committee which gave the dinner
to Senator Penrose in 1897, and of that which
gave the dinner to Senator Quay in 1902. He
is a member of the Union Republican Club of
Philadelphia, and his name and influence in his
partv councils extend throughout Pennsylvania.
For twenty-five years he has been a member of
the volunteer fire department of Pittston , of
which he was chief for two terms, and in which
he is a life member. He was one of the organ -
izers of Company C, (of Pittston), Ninth Regi-
ment, National Guard Pennsylvania, Colonel
Revnolds. He is a member of Pittston Lodge,



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



597



Knights of Pythias : Pittston Lodge, Order of
Elks ; Wilkes- Barre Aerie, Order of Eagles ; and
of the Wilkes-Barre Press Club.

Mr. Llewellyn married, October lo, 1879,
Mary A. Williams, daughter of the late Rev.
Samuel Williams, of Wilkes-Barre, and has two
children: Mary G. and Samuel. H. E. H.

GEORGE J, HART MAN, of Wilkes-Barre,
Pennsylvania, was born January 24, 1862, at Mil-
lersburg. Dauphin county, Pennsylvania. The
family is of German origin and was founded in

this country by Hartman, who settled

in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, being among
those who suffered the hardships and privations
incident to the settlement and development of
the state during the early period of its history.
Among his children was a son, John Hartman,
born in Bucks County, 1757, enlisted in Jonathan
Ludwig's company, August, 1776, and in Step-
hen Crummin's company, July, 1777, took up his
residence in Columbia county, Pennsylvania,
about 1800, and was married to Susan Shortly.
George Hartman, son of John and Susan
(Shortly) Hartman, married Margaret Eox, and
among their children was a son, James Hartman,
whose birth occurred in Columbia county, Penn-
sylvania, April II, 1819: he married Sarah Pot-
ter, born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, No-
vember 4, 1820. .A.fter a long and useful life
James Hartman died at his home in Sunbury,
Pennsylvania. 1890.

George J. Hartman, son of James and Sarah
(Potter) Hartman, was educated in the public
schools of Millersburg, his native town, and Sun-
bury, whither his parents subsequently removed.
He served two terms in the state legislature of
Pennsylvania during the vears 1901 and' 1903,
representing the city of Wilkes-Barre, and was
also a member of the Louisiana Purchase Expo-
sition Committee of Pennsylvania. He is a mem-
ber of St. Stei)hen"s Episcopal Church, a Repub-
lican in politics, and a member of Lodge No. 6r,
Free and Accepted ]\Iasons, the Patriotic Order
Sons of America, and the Junior Order United
American Mechanics. Mr. Hartman married,
October 5,- 1887, at Euckhorn, Columbia county,
Pennsylvania, Sadie ?^Ioore, daughter of Mat-
hias and Catherine Moore. Thev are the parents
of one child, George Morrison Hartman, born in
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Eebruarv 11, 1890.

H. E. H.

COLONEL JACOB DAVIDSON LACIAR.
Jacob Henry Laciar, Sr., a native of Lorraine,
a province of France, visited the United States



early in the Xinteenth Century, but returned to
France, where he died. He was an officer in
the French army under Napoleon Bonaparte and
a participant in the Moscow campaign.

Jacob Henry Laciar, Jr., son of Jacob Henry
Laciar, Sr., also born in Lorraine, Erance, came
to the United States about 1820 and settled in
what is now the Lehigh Valley, where he died,
1845. He married in 1827, Susanna Garnet
Diehl, of Swiss and French descent, born 1805,
died near Bethlehem in 1897, aged ninety-two
years. Mr. Laciar had been well educated in
France, and was a civil engineer by profession
and a teacher of mathematics. He had three
sons : Charles Silas, Jacob Davidson, and Joseph.

Colonel Jacob Davidson Laciar, son of Jacob
Henry and Susanna Garnet (Diehl) Laciar, was
born near Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, August 31,
1839. He married, in Mauch Chunk, Carbon
county, Pennsylvania, June 24, 1863, Sarah Cor-
delia Line, daughter of Samuel and ^Martha (Cul-
ver) Line, born in Luzerne county in 1842, died
in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, June 10, 1905.
]Mr. Laciar w'as educated in the schools at Beth-
lehem, and at an early age entered a printing office
at that place, where he learned the trade of a
printer. He leased the office of his employer in
i860, and commenced the publication of a weekly
paper called TJic Lehigh Vallcv Times. Although
he had just reached his majority (twenty-one
years) he took an active part in the camoaign of
i860, both as a writer and speaker, for the elec-
tion of President Lincoln. He disposed of his
interests in Bethlehem in 1861, and acquired an
interest in Tlie Mauch Chunk Gaceffc, then the
only Republican paper published in Carbon
county. He leased the office of this paper to other
parties in 1862 for the purpose of entering the
service of the United States. He enlisted in the
Union armv, August i^, 1862, as second lieu-
tenant of Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-
second Res;iment, Pennsvlvania Volunteer In-
fantry. He was wounded at the battles of An-
tietam. fSharpsburg), Maryland, and Fredricks-
bure, Virginia. He was promoted captain of his
companv, December 15, 1862, and was mustered
out with his regiment with that rank in i86'?. He
re-enli'^ted in 186-L as captain of Company A,
Two Hundred and Second Resriment, Pennsyl-
vania Infantry, and was severelv wounded near
Thoroughfare Gan in a fight with Colonel Mos-
bv's command. He continued to serve until the
surrender of the Confederate States armv, April
9, 1865, when he "'as sent with a battalion of his
own regiment to Pittsburgh, and appointed to the
command of the District of the IMonongahela,



598



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Department of Penns}'lvania, serving at the
same time as post quartermaster and provost
marshal of Pittsburgh. He held this position un-
til August, 1865, when he was finally mustered
out with his regiment at Harrisburg, Pennsyl-
vania, with the brevet rank of lieutenant-colonel.
At the same time he declined an appointment as
captain in the regular United States army. He
subsequently served on the stafl:' of General John
F. Hartranft, Governor of Pennsylvania, as aide-
de-camp, with the rank of colonel.

Colonel Laciar resumed in 1865 the publica-
tion of The Maiich Chunk Gazette, jointly with
Captain John Richards Boyle, who later entered
the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and as Rev. John Richards Boyle, D. D., will be
remembered as for some years pastor of the First
Methodist Church of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsyl-
vania. The plant of the Ga::ette being destroyed
by fire in 1868, Colonel Laciar disposed of what
interest remained, and assumed in December,
1869, an editorial position on the Scranton Re-
publican, which he retained, except during an in-
terval of a few years, until 1896, when he ac-
cepted the editorial chair of The Wilkes-Barre
Record. This position he held until February i,
1905, when he resigned to accept the appoint-
ment of postmaster of Wilkes-Barre by President
Roosevelt. Colonel Laciar is an original com-
panion of the first class of the Military Order of
the Loyal Legion of the United States, Com-
mandery of Pennsylvania, and a comrade of the
Grand Army of the Rcj)ublic, Conyngham Post,
Wilkes-Barre.

Mrs. Laciar's parents, Samuel and Martha
(Culver) Line, respectively of Salem and Fair-
mount townships, Luzerne county, came of old
families who were among the early settlers of
lower Luzerne county, and had numerous rep-
resentatives in the Pennsylvania, New Jersey
and Connecticut Lines of the Revolutionary army.
Mrs. Laciar was educated at Wyoming Seminary
under the late Rev. Dr. Reuben Nelson. She
was a woman of many noble attainments, and de-
voted the later years of her life to some of the
charitable and benevolent institutions of the city
of Wilkes-Barre. She was an earnest church
and Sunday school worker, and a member of
the First Methodist Episcopal Church. Colonel
and Mrs. Laciar liad three children, born while
residing at Mauch Chunk : Samuel Line, one of
the editors of the Ladies' Home Journal, and en-
gaged in literary work : William Hamilton,
served as non-commissioned ofiicer, U. S. Volun-
teers, war with Spain, 1898, now connected with



the Fourth Streeet National Bank of Philadel-
phia : and Harriet Belford.

H. E. H.

\VILLL\M DWIGHT WHITE, a prominent
citizen and well established business man of
Wilkes-Barre, was born in that city, November
12, 1849, a son of John and Melinda C. (Black-
man) White. His paternal grandfather, Daniel
White, was a wheelwright by tra.de, and settled
early in Wilkes-Barre, where he followed his
avocation until his death. His children were
Mary, Joseph, Ellen, Sarah, John, Charles, Dan-
iel, jane and Thomas. John, one of the sons of
this family, was born in Doylestown, Pennsyl-
vania, and followed the same occupation as did
his father, removing to Wilkes-Barre in his boy-
hood. His wife was a daughter of Henry Black-
man, a pioneer settler of Hanover township, Lu-
zerne county. Of this marriage were born three
children who reached years of maturity : \\'ill-
iam D., Mary (Mrs. Thomas C. Williams), and
Charles B.

William D. White, eldest child of John and
Melinda White, was reared in his native county
and received an excellent education in the public
schools, Harvey's Academy, and Wyoming
Seminary at Kingston. He served an appren-
ticeship of seven years to the drug business and
came from its service an accomplished phar-
macist. After serving as a clerk for some time
he became manager of a drug store in Wilkes-
Barre, and in 1884 engaged in the drug business
On his own account, as head of the firm of W. D.
White & Co., and in which he has continued with
gratifying success to the present time. He is ac-
tive in community affairs, and takes a full share
in the advancement of its interests in material,
religious and educational affairs. He is a mem-
ber of the Central Methodist Episcopal Church, of
Wilkes-Barre, and in politics is a Republican. He
has been for many years prominent in â– Masonic
circles. He was master of Coalville Lodge (Ash-
ley), No. 474, in 1875, and of Landmark Lodge,
No. 442, Wilkes-Barre, in 1892 ; high priest of
Shekinah R..A. Chapter, No. 182, in 1904; and
a member of Dieu le Veut Commandery, Knights
Templar, No. 45. He is a Noble of Irem Temple,
A. A. O. N., M'ystic Shrine, and has for the past
fifteen years served as district deputy grand
master of the Twelfth District of Pennsylvania.
He is a member of the Pennsylvania and the Lu-
zerne County Pharmaceutical Association, and
of the Wyoming Historical and Geolo,gical So-
ciety.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



599



February 9, 1872, 'Sir. White married Sarah
A. Harper, a lady of English descent, and has
had three children : ]\Iaude L, Edward R. and
William D\vie;ht. Jr.

H. E. H.

PHILLIPS FA^IILY. The Phillips family
of the branch under consideration here was
among the early settlers in Susquehanna county,
Pennsylvania, but of Windsor county, X'ermont,
parentage, and of old New England stock. Jonas
Phillips and his wife JMary Taylor were both
born in Brattleboro, Vermont, and Jonas' father
and Mary Taylor's father were soldiers of the
Revolution, but whether of the independent \''er-
mont soldiery or of the Massachusetts line is un-
certain, for data relating to their services during
that eventful period is meagre and indefinite. It
is known, 'however, that on both sides the fam-
ily dates back to the time of the colonies, and
that the immigrant ancestors were of English
birth and parentage.

Jonas Phillips, the pioneer of the family in
Pennsylvania, was by trade a wheelwright and
farmer and followed both occupations after his
removal to Pennsyhania, about 1834. He settled
on a farm in Susquehanna county, and lived there
until 181 1, when he removed to Tunkhannock,
Wyoming county, and lived with his son Edward
until his death in 1876. He was a consistent
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
a Democrat in politics. The children of Jonas
Phillips and wife Mary Taylor were: Henry H.,
deceased. Luther, a physician, surgeon in the
army during the war of 1861-65 ; now residing in
Buffalo. New York. Edward M., of Tunkhan-
nock, Pennsylvania, agent of the Lehigh Valley
Railroad Company, and for some years associate
judge and justice of the peace. Albert H., of
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Lvman E., of Tunk-
hannock, Pennsylvania, a merchant.

Albert H. Phillips acquired his early educa-
tion in the common schools, and his business edu-
cation by actual experience and association with
business men.' In September, 1861, he entered
the service as private. Company E, Ninth Penn-
sylvania Cavalry, and was a corporal when at the
end of a year he was discharged for disabilities
contracted in the service. On his return home
he found employment as clerk with merchants in
Springville and Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania, and
later on for nearly three years was junior partner
in the firm of Billings & Phillips, merchants at
Tunkhannock. Still later he was in business
plnne, but in 1876 he sold out his interests in
\\'yoming county and removed to Wilkes-Barre,



Pennsylvania, and for a time acted as solicitor for
the Xorth Pennsylvania Railway Companv. After
three years he became partner with John T.
Wood and J. G. Miller, and for two years oper-
ated a paper mill. In 1888 he began a real estate
business in Wilkes-Barre, his present occupation,
ilr. Phillips married, June 22. 1876, Kate
Brownscombe, daughter of Rev. Henry Browns-
combe, who at one time was presiding elder of
the Wilkes-Barre district of the Wyoming con-
ference. Mrs. Phillips died June, 1879, leav-
ing no children. In 1881 Mr. Phillips married
Alice E. Carpenter, daughter of Benjamin Sam-
uel Carpenter and wife Nancy Gardner. (See
Carpenter Family ). Children: Arline, born Au-
gust 12, 1884, attended Wyoming Seminary,
Kingston, Pennsylvania. Marv Derr, born No-
vember 12, 1887. attending the Armitage school,
Wayne, Pennsylvania. Louise Carpenter, de-
ceased.

RYMAN FAMILY. The Ryman family, a
branch of which has had representatives who
have been prominent factors in the civil and in-
dustrial history of Luzerne county for almost a
century, came to America about 1750. In Europe
the Rymans lived chiefly in Prussia, the ancestor
of the branch under discussion here spelling his
name Reiman. He lived near Warmbrum, Leig-
nitz, province of Silesia, and it was one of his
direct descendants who was the first of the fam-
ily to come to America.

(I) George Ryman, the founder of this
branch of the Ryman family in the United States,
came about 1750, and settled near Easton, New
Jersey. The Rymans were a numerous family in
early Dallas history, and performed their parts
well and faithfully in the many avocations they
chose- to make their own. George Ryman mar-
ried Kate ]\Iotley, and their children were : Peter,
of whom later ; John : Jacob ; Kate.

(II) Peter Ryman, eldest son and child of
George (i) and Kate (Motley) Ryman, was born
in New Jersey in 1776. He removed near Hope,
Warren county, New Jersey, and there his four
eldest children were born. He married, in New
Jersey, Mary Sweazy, born 1780, daughter of
Richard Sweazy. Children of Peter and ]\Iary
Ryman : John, Joseph, Peter and Eliza ; these four
were born near Hope, New Jersey; Peter then
went with his family to Dallas, Luzerne county,
Pennsylvania, in 1814, and settled there, and in
that town the two younger children were born :
Abram. of whom later : and Richard.

(III) Abram Ryman. fifth child and fourth
son of Peter (2) and Mary (Sweazy) Ryman,



t)00



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



was born in Dallas, Luzerne county, Pennsyl-
vania, August 21, 1817. He lived all his days on
the homestead farm, where he was born, but
made it an exceedingly active life. He began his
business career as a farmer on a practical basis,
and combined this with the business of a lum-
berman, clearing and cultivating large tracts of
land in and near Dallas. He opened a general
countr\- store in Dallas in 1854, and founded the
firm of A. Ryman & Sons, of Dallas and Wilkes-
Barre. Previously, in 1845, '""^ ^'^^^^ established
and operated lumber mills and a lumber yard,
both of which are still in active operation, the bus-
iness being carried on by jNIr. Ryman's sons on
the lines along which he had inaugurated it. This
firm is considered among the largest lumber deal-
ers in the county. In Dallas the business is also
carried on under the old firm name, although
since the death of Mr. Ryman it is conducted
-solely by the sons. Mr. Ryman died December
^7' ^^73- He married Jemima Kunkle, born Sep-
tember 7, 1 80S, died May 7, 1858, daughter of
Philip Kunkle and Mary La Bar. Mr. Ryman
was three times married, his first wife bearing
him seven children: i. Mary E., married C. M.
Maxwell, of New York City. 2. Theodore P., who
resides in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne county, Penn-
s\"lvania. 3. William Penn, born August 23, 1847,
died July 31, 1899. 4- Sarah Adelaide, born No-
vember 5, 1849, died November 2=;, 1856. 5.
John Jacob, of whom later. 6. Ruth E., born June
9, 1851:;. died August 16, 1899. 7. Frederick S.,
born May, i8=;8, resides now in Boston. Bv
his third wife Mr. R}-man had one child, Leslie S.
John J. Ryman has been twice married, first,
October 6, 1875, to Mary Atwater, formerly of
Providence, later of Pittston, Pennsylvania. By
this marriage there were two children: Edith L.,
who married, September 7, igot^, Albert G. Stone,
of Ithaca. New York : and Edna Marian. Mrs.
R}man died December 23, 1885. Mr. Ryman
married (second) October 20, 1888, Jessie Lvnde,
of Scranton, Pennsylvania, daughter of E. C.
Lynde of that city, and by this marriage there is
one child, Lynde Hunter Ryman.

JAMES BROOKS, M. D. A representa-
tive of a well-known familv of physicians. Dr.
James Brooks, of Plains, possesses by inheritance
the natural intuition as well as the various other
aualifications necessary for the successful prac-
tice of the healing art, and in surgery, to which
he prefers to devote his principal attention, he
has acquired a high reputation.

James Brooks, AT. D., was born in Great
Bend, Susquehanna county, New York, July 4,



1856, son of Dr. James and Lydia Jane (De Bois)
Brooks. His paternal ancestors were English and
Scotch, while those on the maternal side were
French.

Dr. Pelatiah B. Brooks, his grandfather, was
a native of New York state, practiced medicine in
Norwich, New York. Dr. Pelatiah B. Brooks
married a Miss McCullough and his children
were: i. Lydia, married George Clinton, of New-
ark Valley, Tioga county, New York, and had
three children, namely : Morris, Sarah and Carrie,
the last-named of whom is the wife of Dr. Amos
A, Barton, of Plains, who is the subject of a
sketch which appears elsewhere in this work.
2. James, of whom later. 3. Pelatiah became a
medical practitioner, died in Chattanooga, Ten-
nessee, while serving as a surgeon in the United
States army. 4. Hannah became the wife of Jo-
seph Gushing, of Binghamton, New York, and
had Mary, who married L. L. Rogers, the sub-
ject of another sketch in this work.

Dr. James Brooks, Sr., was born in Norwich.
He began the practice of medicine at Great Bend,
from whence he removed to Binghamton, and
he became prominently identified with the medi-
cal profession of that city. He married Lydia
Jane DeBois, daughter of Squire Abram and
Juliette DeBois, of Great Bend, and of this union



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 124 of 130)