Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 125 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 125 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


there were eight children, five of whom grew to
maturity, namely, i. Walter A. Brooks, M. D.,
who becanfe a successful specialist in opthalmol-
ogy and otology in Binghamton, married Mary
Gage and was the father of three children, name-
ly : Earl, Walter and Lina. 2. Fanny, L. Brooks,
married Ledra Taylor, of Binghamton, and has
one son, Edward. 3. James, of whom later. 4.
Hettie Brooks married William Butterfield, also
of Binghamton, and has one son, Harry. 5.
Pelatiah Brooks, the youngest son of Dr. James
Brooks, Sr.'s children, is a druggist in New York
City. He married Emma Wentzler, of Bing-
hamton, and has one child.

Dr. James Brooks, Jr., studied in the public
schools of Great Bend, then attended the Bing-
hamton high school and subsequently Lowell's
Commercial School. His professional trnining,
which was begun at the Syracuse (New York)
Medical College, where he remained two years,
was completed at the Chicago Medical College,
from which he was graduated M. D. with the
class of 1877. He began the practice of medicine
in Binghamton, from whence he went to Pleas-
ant \'alley, Pennsylvania, in 1878, and in the fol-
lowing year removed to Plains, where he has
practiced continuously to the present time. Dr.
Brooks rapidly created and has ever since main-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



60 1



taincd a large and profitable practice in both med-
icine and surgery, but, as previously stated, he
prefers the last-named department of his profes-
sion, for which he is abundantly qualified. He is
a member of the Pennsylvania State and the Lu-
-zerne County Medical Societies ; was in 1887
chosen a delegate to the Ninth International
-Medical Congress, the first ever held in this coun-
try. He is a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and the Benevolent and Protec-
tive Order of Elks. In politics he is a Republi-
can. He has been twice married. He first mar-
ried, January 5, 1881, Isadore W. Mitchell,
daughter of John Mitchell, of Plains. On Sep-
tember 17, 1898, he married (second) Ellen
Evans, who was born in Plains, November 2,
1878. Her parents, Richard and Mary (Jones)
Evans, who are well-known residents of Plains,
have had a family of ten children, eight of whom
are living. The children of Dr. Brooks' first mar-
riage are: Mary Isabella, born December 17,
1881 : Fanny E., born July 17. 1883: Anna L.,
torn September 2, 1885 ; married Charles Sawyer
P)romley, in Germantown, Pennsylvania ; James
A., born August 3, 1887; and Helen, born July
4, 1890. Of his second marriage there is one
daughter, Margaret Louise, born April 3, 1901.

ENOCH W. MARPLE. Joseph ?^Iarple, of
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a member of the
Society of Friends, was born July 31, 1786, died
June 4, 1856. He married Phebe Lukens, born
July 5, 1789, died July 29, 1865. They had a son,
Robert Lukens Marple, born in Philadelphia, No-
vember 3, 1818, died June 18, 1853, who married,
about 1840, Mary Wright, born August 3, 1818,
died March 22, 1899, daughter of Isaac Knight
Wright, born August 23, 1794, and his wife,
Elizabeth Childs, born August 26, 1797, died No-
vember 14, 1856. Thev had Enoch Wright
]\Iarple.

Enoch Wright Alarple, son of Robert Lukens
and Mary (Wright) Marple, was born in Tren-
ton, New Jersey, June 12, 1842. He was not a
member of the Society of Friends by birth, both
parents not being members. A few months after
liis birth the family moved to Philadelphia, and
some years later moved to Pottsville, Pennsylva-
nia, where his father engaged in the book binding
and stationery business, at first with the late Ben-
jamin Bannan, and afterward for himself, leav-
ing Enoch W. in Philadelphia with his mother's
parents, being the oldest grandchild. He lived all
liis earlier days in the old district of Southwark,
Philadelphia, went to school at Wecacoe pri-
marv, Southwark Librarv secondarv, and Mt.



Vernon and South East grammar school-, entered
Philadelphia high school in 1857, left the high
school in 1859, and went with John C. Savery,
809 Market street, to learn the drug business, and
attended the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
one full term and part of another. He gave up
his studies and business to enlist in the Fifteenth
Regiment (Anderson) \'olunteer Cavalry (One
Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment Pennsylvania
\'olunteers), August 20, 1862. This regiment
was in the battle of Antietam, and immediately
afterward joined the Army of the Cumberland,
engaged mostly in special service, but was in the
battles of Stone River and Chickamauga. He was
mustered out with the regiment at the close of the
war, June 21, 1865, having served nearly three
years. Arriving home he entered the drug store
of Bullock & Crenshaw, then at Sixth and Arch
streets, Philadelphia, remained with them one
year, then engaged in the grocery business with
his brother, at 869 North Tenth street. The
business was sold out in April, 1868, and he took
a position with the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company, shipping by canal all the Bessemer
steel rails used by the Lehigh Coal and Naviga-
tion Company in the construction of the Lehigh
and Susquehanna Railroad between Easton and
Alauch Chunk. In September, 1868, he went to
Mauch Chunk, in the office of the Lehigh and
Susquehanna Railroad, under the late James A.
Dinkey, and removed his family to that place in
April, 1869. He remained in the employ of the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company until Sep-
tember, 1870, when he accepted a position as
bookkeeper with Thomas Brodrick & Company,
at the Nottingham and Reynolds collieries, at
Plymouth, Pennsylvania. Brodrick & Company
sold out January i, 1872, to the Lehigh Coal and
Navigation Company, with whom he remained
until January I, 1874, when the Lehigh and
Wilkes-Barre Company was organized, which
company acquired, among others, the Notting-
ham and Reynolds collieries. Mr. Marple re-
mained at Plymouth with his company, which
then had, in addition to the above, the Lance,
Gavlord and Dodson collieries, the two last named
being given up when the company went into the
hands of receivers, February 12, 1877. He was
transferred to the New York office of the Lehigh
and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company in September,
1881, and in August, 1883, was transferred to
their office in Wilkes-Barre as auditor, the next
year being made paymaster in addition to the
other duties, having charge of accounts and sup-
plies, which position he still holds. He is a past
master of Plymouth Lodge, No. 332, F. and A.



602



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



■\I., Plymouth ; and a member of Valley Chapter,
yil. Horeb Council, Dieu Le Vieut Commandery,
and Irem Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine ;
also of Conyngham Post, G. A. R., and Encamp-
ment No. 134, U. \. L.

Air. Marple married, January 31, 1861, Annie
Eliza Phillips, daughter of George G. and
Alary (Stewart) Phillips, of Philadelphia. They
had: Mary, married J. P. Jones; Lilly W.;
Emma Stewart Cae ; and George Lukens, died
in infancy. H. E. H.

DAVID H. LAKE, M. D., physician and
surgeon, Kingston, is a native of Wales, born in
Carmarthen, July 26, 1864. He is a son of the
Rev. Lot and Margaret (Hughes) Lake, natives
of Wales, and representatives of English and
Welsh ancestors, respectively, the former's
grandparents having migrated to this country
from Wiltshire. England. Dr. David H. Lake
entered upon his life career with admirable prep-
aration. Inheriting the sterling traits of charac-
ter which mark the races whence he sprung, he
came to the United States at so tender an age
( nine years) that he grew up with all the in-
stincts and ambitions of a native born American,
and he was afforded the best educational advan-
tages.

Upon the emigration of his parents to the
United States they located in Youngstown, Ohio,
where they remained for four years. The}- re-
moved thence to Scranton, Pennsylvania, and in
1885 returned to Youngstown, Ohio. These mi-
' grations were necessitated by the calling of the
father, who was a clergyman of the Congrega-
tional Church, and whose worth as a minister
and pastor received cordial afifirmation wherever
his work called him. David H. Lake received
careful preparation for Marietta College in the
"School of the Lackawanna" and under the pri-
vate tutorship of his father. After graduation he
taught school for a time in Scranton, Pennsylva-
nia, and then entered upon a course of medical
instruction under the careful preceptorship of Dr.
Allen, a local practitioner of high professional
attainments, and a most estimable gentleman. He
completed his studies in the famous old Jefferson
Medical College, of Philadelphia, from which he
was graduated M. D. with the class of 1885. He
then received appointment as resident physician
of the Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, where
he remained fourteen months, this service afford-
ing him exceptional opportunity for observing
and treating a wide range of ailments. For some
time afterwarfl he was engaged in practice with



Dr. Wentz. in Drifton, Pennsylvania, at the same
time having charge of the hospital there. In
188O he located permanently in Kingston, where
his professional skill and genial personality have
gained for him cordial recognition and a large
and excellent practice.

For the last five years he has been the local
surgeon of the Delaware, Lackawanna and
Western Railroad.

Dr. Lake married, December 27, 1889, Miss
Mary Leyshon, a daughter of Thomas Leyshon,
of Kingston, Pennsylvania, and two daughters,.
Louisa and Margaret, grace the familv circle.

H. E. H.

EDWARD EVERETT HOYT was born in
Kingston, Pennsylvania, January 22, 1859, and
is a direct descendant of Simon Hoyt, who was
the first of the Hoyt family who emigrated to
New England, his arrival there being prior to or
during the year 1629. The line of ancestry is
traced to Daniel Hoyt, who removed from Dan-
bury, Connecticut, to Wyoming about 1795, and
he was the pioneer emigrant of that name in that
section. The name of his first wife was Anne
Gunn, and his second was Sylvina Pierce, daugh-
ter of Abel Pierce, of Kingston. Lieutenant
Ziba Hoyt, son of Daniel Hoyt, was a native of
Danbury, Connecticut, and removed with his
father to V/yoming. He married, January 23,
1815, Nancy Hurlburt, daughter of Christopher
and Elizabeth (Mann) Hurlburt, and a de-
scendant of Lieutenant Thomas Hurlburt, a na-
tive of England, where he was born about 1615,
and emigrated to New England in his early man-
hood. John Dorrance Hoyt, son of Lieutenant
Ziba and Nancy (Hurlburt) Holt, of Kingston,
Pennsylvania, where he always resided, followed
farming till retiring, and died June 16, 1897. He
married Elizabeth Goodwin, daughter of the late
Abraham Goodwin, of Kingston, a descendant
of a New England extraction. She died in
1893, having borne to her husband three chil-
dren : Edward Everett ; Augusta, who resides
with her brother, Edward Everett; and Henry
M., a lawyer and United States attorney at
Nome, Alaska.

' Edward Everett Hoyt, son of John Dorrance
and Elizabeth (Goodwin) Hoyt, was educatcil at
the Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, and at La-
fayette' College, graduating from the latter insti-
tution in the class of 1878. He read law with A.
H. Dickson and T. H. Atherton, and was ad-
mitted to the bar of Luzerne county, September
17, 1880. He was on the board of the seven



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



603



years' auditors, and was a director of the public
schools of Kingston for a number of years. He
is an assiduous student and a worker in the ranks
of his profession, and hence gained an enviable
reputation among the members of the fraternity
and an extensive and remunerative clientage. He
is a Republican in politics, and exercises much in-
fluence in behalf of the party whose principles he
advocates. H. E. H.

THE lAl.ATLACK FAMILY. The best
element in the population of Pennsylvania has
ever been supplied by the descendants of those
English Friends who came with William Penn
to colonize the province which bears his name.
The Matlack family, of which Dr. Granville
Thomas Matlack is the present representative, is,
one of those which trace their origin from these
founders of the commonwealth.

Thomas Matlack was a farmer and a highly
respected man. He was a member of the Pres-
byterian church, and during the latter part of his
life identified himself with the Republican party.
He married Elizabeth McFarlan and had seven
children: i. Thomas, of whom later. 2. James,
M. D., born March 2;^, 1833, died April 2. 1877,
was educated at the school of Jonathan Gause,
taught school in Chester and Berks ^counties for
a number of years, and graduated in 1861 from
Jefferson Medical College. He served as assist-
ant surgeon during the greater part of the civil
war, settled at Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania, and
was a successful physician. He was a member of
the United Presbyterian church. He married,
December 24, 1868, Mary J., born December i,
1845, daughter of John and Rebecca (McGlynn)
McKinney. Their children were : Eliza, born
December 21, 1869, dietl unmarried March 10,
1891 ; and Margaret M., born August 13, 1873.
married a Mr. Dunn, of Pittsburg. Dr. Mat-
lack's death, at Turtle Creek, Pennsylvania, was
caused by an injury to the spine in a runaway
accident. His widow resides at Braddock, Penn-
sylvania. Dr. Matlack is buried in Allegheny
county. 3. George P., born September i. 1835,
at East Brandywine, Pennsylvania, was educated
at Milton Dunall's Academy, Unionville, and
Franklin Taylor's school. West Chester, and was
for some years a schoolmaster. He then pur-
chased his father's farm on which he lived during
the remainder of his life. He married, Novem-
ber 25, 1864, at East Brandywine, Rachel Ann,
born there in 1842, daughter of Morton and Ade-
line (Thompson) Garrett. Mr. Matlack died at
his native place, March 9, 1893, leaving no chil-



dren. His widow is a resident of Guthrieville.

4. William H., jNI. D., born February 7, 1838,
in Brooklyn, Chester county, Pennsylvania, was
a physician at Dovvningtown. He was surgeon
and served through the civil war. having charge
of different field hospitals. He was a physician
of prominence in his native town, took an active
part in its affairs and served several terms in the
state legislature. He married, August i, 1876,
Sarah \"irginia, born J\larch 21, 1853, daughter
of Miller and Sarah (Grimm Mount) Downing,
and had one daughter, Jane Eliza, born March
20, 1882, at Downingtown. Dr. Matlack died
at that place, July 12, 1896, and is buried in
Xorthwood cemetery. His widow and daugh-
ter reside at Downingtown, Pennsylvania. They
are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

5. Richard B., M. D., born January 24, 1840, at
East Brandywine, graduated in 1866, from Jef-
ferson ^Medical College, and settled at Lyndell
Postoffice, Uwchlan township, Pennsylvania. He
was married March 25, 1874, by Mayor Stock-
ley, of Philadelphia, to R. Ann, daughter of
Jesse James, of East Nantmeal, Chester county,
Pennsylvania, and had : Bessie, born about
1875 ; Frank, born about 1877; and Richard, born
about 1880. Dr. Matlack died JMay 13, 1893, at
Uwchlan, and is buried in the Presbyterian cem-
etery at Fairville. He served through the civil
war as surgeon, was taken prisoner and con-
fined for a time in Andersonville prison. 6.
Frank H., M. D., born November 7, 1842. at East
Brandywine, was educated at Millerville Normal
school, and in 1872 graduated from the medical
department of the University of Pennsylvania.
He settled at Turtle Creek, Allegheny county,
whence he moved in 1892 to Duquesne. Pennsyl-
vania. He served twelve years as a member of
the school board of that place, and has always
been an advocate of peace and good morals. He
also served as a surgeon in the civil war. In
1871 he united with the Presbyterian church in
Philadelphia, and later served as treasurer of
the Turtle Creek church. He married. January
25, 1888, Isabella Oliver, born October 5, 1851,
in JNIiffhn township, Allegheny county, daughter
of William and Mary (Xeel) Oliver, of that
place. They have one child, Kenneth H., born
October 25, 1890. 7. Jane Ann, born October
II, 1845, in Lyndell, Pennsylvania, and married,
December 25, 1867. John Jacob, born October 30,
1839, son of William D. and Matilda (Kerlan)
]\IcFarlan, of Chester county. They settled in
Philadelphia, where they became the proprietors
of a grocery and provision store. They have one



<6o4



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



son, Ralph Waldo Emerson, born September 2-j,
1868, in Philadelphia, and is a member of the
firm of J. J. McFarlan & Sons, of that city.

Thomas Matlack, eldest child of Thomas and
Elizabeth (JMcFarlan) Matlack, was born Jan-
uary 16, 1831, in East Brandywine township,
where he now lives. He taught school in this
place for a number of years and then purchased
a farm which he conducted until his retirement.
He married, February 10, 1853, Tamson K.
Dowlin, born November 30, 1829, daughter of
John and Elizabeth (Kerlin) Dowlin, of Uwch-
lan, and had: James, born November 14, 1853,
died November 16, 1853 ; Ida F., born January
15, 1855, died unmarried December 6, 1881 ; John
Dowlin, born February 27, 1857, died October
17, 1896, he married Elizabeth P. (Copeland)
Matlack, who died at Downingtown, March
1904: Harry J., born August 2, 1859, died April
8, 1887, unmarried; Granville Thomas, of whom
later; George E., born August 10, 1864, died Jan-
uary 16, 1879 ; Annie E., born June 9, 1869, mar-
ried Emmett Olmsted, of Santa Rosa, California ;
and Walter J., born November 12, 1873, ^^^ '^^~
sides in California. Mrs. Matlack, the mother of
these children, died ]\Iay 26, 1885, and is buried
in Northwood cemetery.

Dr. Granville Thomas Matlack, fifth child of
Thomas and Tamson K. (Dowlin) Matlack, was
born February 5, 1862, at Downingtown, Ches-
ter county, where he received his primary edu-
cation in the public schools, and afterward at-
tended the Chester Valley Academy, from which
he graduated in 1874. He then worked as a
printer and at the same time studied medicine
with his uncle. Dr. William H. Matlack, for
three years. At the end of that time he entered
Jefiferson Medical College, Philadelphia, from
which institution he graduated March 29, 1884,
with the degree of Doctor of jMedicine. For one
year he served as resident phvsician in the
Wilkes-Barre City Hospital, after which he settled
at Miner's Mills, Pennsylvania, where he prac-
ticed his profession for seven years. In 1891 he
opened an office on South Washington street,
Wilkes-Barre, and practiced there until 1895. He
then purchased from the Murray estate the prop-
erty at 33 West Northampton street, which he
remodeled and to which he added a spacious
office. He has since made his home there and
conducts a large practice. He is a Republican,
and for three years served on the school board at
Miner's Mills. Dr. Matlack is a member of t'-ie
Luzerne County Medical Society, of which he
is ex-president, Pennsylvania State Medical So-



ciety, and the American Medical Association.
He attends the Presbyterian church. He mar-
ried, April 5, 1888, at Clark's Green, Pennsyl-
vania, Clara R. Courtright, bom July 20, 1864,
at Plains, Pennsylvania, daughter of Benjamin
F. and Annie Loraine (Mitchell) Courtright.
(See Abbott Family). They have had four chil-
dren: A. Louise, born September 25, 1889;
Frank C, born July 13, 1891, died April 25,
1899; Dorothy T., born March 3, 1893; and
Clare, born December 22, 1895.

H. E. H.

WILLIAM L. WATSON, president of the
First National Bank of Pittston, Pennsylvania,
with which he has been connected since 1872 in
the capacities of clerk, teller, cashier and presi-
dent, was born in Wanloch Head, Dumfrieshire,
Scotland, November 6, 1850, a son of James and
Ann (Law) Watson, and grandson of William
and Margaret (Crawford) Watson. William
Watson was a native of Scotland, born in Dum-
frieshire, and a representative of an old and hon-
ored family. He was a blacksmith by trade, and
followed this occupation up to the time of his
decease, at the age of seventy-nine years. He
married Margaret Crawford, who was born in
the same town in Scotland. They were the par-
ents of seveh sons, the only one now living being
Walsh Watson, who resides in Wanloch Head,
Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Watson were members
of the Free Church of the section in which they
resided, and were classed among the leading and
influential people of the town.

James Watson, son of William and Margaret
(Crawford) Watson, was born in Wanloch
Head, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, and was reared
and educated there. He followed in the foot-
steps of his father, serving an apprenticeship at
the trade of blacksmith and working as journey-
man until 1854, when he left his native land for
a home in the new world. In 1855 he located in
Pittston, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, and from
then until 1894, or within two years of his death,
was connected with the Pennsylvania Coal Com-
pany in various capacities, being foreman for a
number of years. His connection with this com-
pany extended over a period of forty years, and
this fact was ample proof of his efficiency and
capability. He married Ann Law, a native of
Wanloch Head, Scotland, and daughter of John
and Jean (Harkness) Law, who were the parents
of six children, all deceased. John Law was a lead
miner, and died at the age of forty-seven years ;
his wife died at the age of fortv years. Eight



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



605.



children were born to James and Ann (Law)
Watson, seven of whom are now Hving: Will-
iam L., of whom later ; Jean W., married John
W. Thompson ; Margaret, married William Al-
lan ; Janet L. : John A., an engineer ; Georgia A. ;
James L.. an engineer. All of these children re-
side m Pittston, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs.
Watson were faithful members of the First Pres-
byterian Church of Pittston. He died June i,
1896, and Mrs. Watson died in 1900, the former
being seventy and the latter seventy-four years
of age.

William L. Watson, son of James and Ann
Watson, accompanied his parents to the Lhiited
States in 1854, and to Pittston, Pennsylvania, the
following year. After completing his education
in the public schools he accepted a position with
the Pennsylvania Coal Company, remaining for
a period of four years. He then became book-
keeper for Law & McMillan, proprietors of a gen-
eral store, and served in that capacity until 1872,
when he entered the service of the First National
Bank as clerk. Later he was appointed teller,
then cashier, holding that position for a quarter
of a century, from 1877 to igo2. He was made
vice-president, July, 1902, and July i, 1905. was
electetl president, and since he has iDeen connected
with this institution the business of the bank has
increased in a remarkable degree, it being now
one of the leading financial institutions in the
county. During his residence in Pittston, Mr.
Watson has witnessed a large growth in its popu-
lation, it being almost double what it was at the
time of his removal thereto. He is a member
of the Presbyterian Church of West Pitts-
ton, and was on the building committee
of the beautiful new church erected in 1891 ;
a member and secretary for many years
of Thistle Lodge, No. 512, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, having passed all the chairs :
member of Royal Arcanum ; of Scranton City
Club ; secretary of the Pittston Gas Company
.many years ; director and treasurer of the New
York and Pittston Coal Company ; charter mem-
ber of the Pittston Hospital Association and
treasurer for many years ; director of the First
National Bank many years : director of the New
IMexico Railroad Coal Company until it was sold
to Phelps, Dodge & Company ; treasurer of the
building committee of the Young Men's Chris-
tian Association of Pittston, which recently
erected a fine, commodious structure.

Mr. Watson married, June I, 1876, Jean H.
Law, born Carbondale. Pennsylvania, a daughter
of Andrew H. and Helen (Aitken) Law. Andrew
H. Law was a native of Scotland. After coming



to America he was a merchant at Carbondale,
Pennsylvania, and later at Pittston, where for
many years he took a prominent part in the
affairs of the town, and where his death occurred
at the age of fifty-seven years. Helen (Aitken)
Law was born in Scotland, a daughter of John
Aitken, of Scotland, a farmer, who came to the
L'nited States and located at Dundaff, Pennsyl-
vania, where he died. Mr. and Mrs. Law were
the parents of the following children : Jean H.



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 125 of 130)