Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 129 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 129 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


an unblemished christian character, and was an
active member of the First Methodist Episcopal
Church,' of Wilkes-Barre, and later of the church
in Dallas, where he served for a number of years
as a member of the board of trustees, and also
superintendent of the Sunday-school. He had
taken high rank in the Masonic fraternity, being
affiliated with the various bodies up to and in-
cluding the Commandery and the Ancient Arabic
Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He
held official stations in several of them, among
others being worshipful master of George M.
Dallas Lodge at Dallas. He was also a member
of the Junior Order of United American Me-
chanics. He was an efficient member of the Lu-
zerne County Agricultural Association, and one
of its board of directors, and president a number
of terms.

September 30, 1879, Mr. Phillips married
]\Iiss I\Iarie Louise Kirkendall, a daughter of
the late George W. Kirkendall, (see sketch else-
where), of an old and honored Pennsylvania fam-
ily, and who survives him, making her residence
in the handsome home in Dallas, which he erected
in 1888, and which is endeared to her by count-
less tender associations. They had one son,
Claude Fenton, who died in infancv.

'H. E. H.

JOSEPH PARKS DELAHUNTY.The first
representative of the Delahunty family in Amer-
ica was Joseph Parks Delahunty, the grandfather
of his namesake, whose name heads this review.
He came to America from France, but after re-
maining there six or seven years returned to his



native land. On his voyage to the new world
James Delahunty, the father of Joseph P. Dela-
hunty, was born. He returned with his parents
to France, but when fifteen years of age ran
away from home and again came to America, set-
tling near Boston, Massachusetts. There he be-
gan working for Joseph Parks, and his em-
ployer's daughter, Mary, instructed him in the
English language. After attaining their major-
ity they were united in marriage. Some time
after this Mr. Delahunty went south, where he
engaged in silk weaving. In 1825 he received
news of the illness of his wife, but ere he could
reach her bedside she had passed away, dying
in Brookfield, Massachusetts. He afterward had
the body removed to its last resting place and
then returned to the south, after which he was
never heard from but once. There were two chil-
dren, Joseph and Thomas, twins, but the latter
died at the age of three years. Mrs. Delahunty
had belonged to one of the old Scotch families
that had been established in Alassachusetts prior
to the revolutionary war, and her father had
served as a soldier in Washington's army.

Joseph P. Delahunty of this review was born
in Brookfield, Massachusetts, August 24, 1822,
and was left an orphan when only three years of
age. He lived with his grandfather Parks until
fourteen years of age, when he started out to earn
his own living in a cotton mill, being thus em-
ployed for four years. He afterward spent two
years in learning the woolen manufacturing busi-
ness, and worked at his trade in New York, Mas-
sachusetts and Vermont until 1862, when he es-
tablished a factory of his own in Fair Haven,
Vermont. In 1864 he removed the machinery
and business to Westchester county, New York,
and there conducted a cotton mill under the name
of Ells & Delahunty. In 1873 they came to West
Pittston and established the Wyoming \'alley
Knitting Mill, which he successfully conducted
for fifteen consecutive years. Since selling out
his interest, he has given his attention entirely
to the development of the business conducted by
the Delahunty Dyeing Machine Company, of
which he is the president. He is the inventor of
the machine which has already gained favor with
the trade, and in connection with its manufacture
the company also turns out mining machinery, in-
cluding engine pumps. Mr. Delahunty was mar-
ried May 2, 1846, to Emeline Pollock, who was
born June 6, 1828, a daughter of Abraham Pol-
lock, of Hughsonville, Dutchess county. New
York. Their children are : James E., born No-
vember 9, 1849, died June 4, 1888; JNIary J., born




^.(PMlA^UA^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



621



October 18, 1851, now deceased; Winfield P.,
born October 4, 1853, now deceased ; Joseph P.,
born January 9, 1855, is vice-president and gen-
eral manager of the Delahunty Dyeing Machine
Company; and George B., born March 3, 1858,
in the employ of the government as letter carrier
in Pittston. Mrs. Delahunty passed away De-
cember 6, 1897. H. E. H.

WILLL\M H. WHIPP, farmer, was born in
Exeter township, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania,
July 30, 1848. His father was Joseph Whipp
and his mother was Hannah Dugdale, both of
English birth and parentage. They had three
children, of Avhom two are now living: Jane,
who married Joseph Ellsworth, of Dallas, and
William H. Whipp, also of Dallas. Joseph
Whipp was by trade a weaver, but on coming to
America in 1841, he abandoned that occupation
as soon as possible and turned his attention to
farming, at which he was fairly successful, al-
though his early life in Luzerne county was ac-
companied with many hardships and vicissitudes.
He purchased land in Exeter township, and to
reach the tract he was obliged to c;'t a road
through the woods. He first built a log house,
which was made to answer the requirements of
the family until his means warranted the erection
•of a more substantial dwelling of stone. The
elder Whipp died in Exeter at the age of seventy-
three years, and was a man much respected in the
township, a Republican in politics, and a devout
Methodist in religious belief. In England he held
membership in the Odd Fellows fraternity.

William H. Whipp was brought up to farm
work. He married, August 13, 1874, Elizabeth
Vincent, a native of Luzerne county, and daugh-
ter of Joshua Vincent, who was a miner in Eng-
land and a successful farmer after his immigra-
tion to America. Mr. Whipp has three children :
J. Nelson Whipp, Charlotte F. Whipp, and Beu-
lah M. Whipp. Mr. Whipp began active work
for himself soon after his marriage in 1874. He
first worked the old home farm, and later took
charge of the Wyoming Camp Meeting Associa-
tion's land, which he worked seven years. In
1883 he purchased his present farm of ninety
acres in Dallas, where he has since lived. He is
known as a practical farmer, whose efforts in life
have been rewarded with a fair degree of suc-
cess. His early education was limited, but he is
interested in the education of others, and is re-
garded as a progressive, public spirited man in
the community. Politically he is a Republican,
and for four consecutive terms served as council-



man. At one time he was township auditor, and
for several years was a member of the Dallas
school board. He is a member of George M.
Dallas Lodge, No. 531, F. and A. M., and a
prominent member of Centre Hill Grange, No.
1026, Patrons of Husbandry.

H. E. H.

LEONARD MACHELL was born in West-
moreland, England, October 27, 1825, and came
to America in 1850, in the sailing vessel, "Racer,"
from Liverpool bound for New York. The voy-
age was made in about twenty-four days, and
upon landing the young English immigrant
"went west" to Indiana, where he found em-
ployment as a farm hand. In the course of a few-
months he went to Logansport, and in company
with Thomas Parks (now of Lehman) and Jon-
athan Shepherd took a contract for construction
work on the old Wabash and Eel River Railroad.
A fair profit resulted from this undertaking, and
upon its completion Mr. Machell and j\lr. Shep-
herd decided to travel eastward in quest of a lo-
cation for a permanent home and also to see
sometfiing of the country in the anthracite coal
regions of Pennsylvania. They visited Scranton,
when that now splendid city was only a settle-
ment of thirty-six houses and was known as
Slocum's Hollow, which they found to be an un-
inviting place of abode. They next visited the
Wyoming Valley and found land more to their
liking in the old township of Lehman, Luzerne
county. There Mr. Marshall secured work at his
trade, for he was a mason, having served his ap-
prenticeship in England, although he was the son
of a farmer and sheep grower. From that time
for several years he worked both by the day and
by contract, and being industrious, temperate,
and of frugal habits, he prospered : and as his
means increased he made investments chiefly in
lands, and the return from this source together
with the profits of his own toil in due course of
time gave him a comfortable fortune.

Mr. Machell has never made a niggardly use
of his means, but has enjoyed the fruits of his
labor in extensive travel both in America and
Europe, and he has given his full share for the
comfort of persons less fortunate than himself.
No worthy charity has appealed in vain to him,
and all measures for the public welfare have found
in him a generous supporter. In politics he is a
Democrat, and has held several minor offices,
such as school director, tax collector and town-
ship treasurer. His consent has been asked for
a candidacy for.the county commissionership and



622



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



also for the legislature of the state, but he has
steadfastly held aloof from the allurements of
politics except as he deems it the duty of all good
citizens to make some personal sacrifice for the
benefit of local government.

Leonard Machell was a son of Thomas Ma-
chell and wife Mary Ranson, and one — now the
only surviving one — of their sixteen children, of
whom twelve grew to maturity. In England the
Machells were of an old and prominent family,
among whose members were men of wealth and
influence. Thomas Machell, father of Leonard,
was a farmer and extensive sheep grower, his
flock at times numbering as many as fifteen hun-
dred; hence he was a successful man and in his
business undertakings acquired a fortune. He
provided well for his children, gave each of them
a good education, and made generous provision
for them when they started out to make their own
way in life; and when Leonard Machell came to
America in 1850 he was not empty-handed, al-
though his ambition then was to work indepen-
dently and without the employment of that which
had been given him. In this laudable endeavor
he has been successful, and he has earned success
by his own persistent and well directed effort. He
lived many years in Lehman township and sub-
sequently removed to Dallas, where he now re-
sides, surrrounded with family and friends and
assured in his old age of all the comforts of life.

Mr. Machell married Ellen Hunter, born in
Westmoreland, England, October 27, 1825, who
came to America with her parents when she was
a child. The family settled first in Lehman and
later removed to Dallas, where her father, Ed-
ward Hunter, was an extensive farmer and land
owner. Ten children have been born to Mr.
and Mrs. Machell, of whom six are now living,
viz : George, a farmer of Dallas, married Isabel
Sheppard ; Mary, at home ; Thomas, at home ;
Sterling, at home; Elizabeth, married C. S. Hil-
debrant, of Lehman, Pennsylvania; and Alice, at
home. The deceased members of the family
were : James, Roland, Elmer and an infant.

H. E. H.

JEROME B. WEIDA, M. D., of Luzerne,
is a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, the
date of his birth being February 20, 1862. Dan-
iel Weida, grandfather of Dr. Weida, was born
at Maxatawny, Berks county, Pennsylvania,
where he lived a useful and honorable life, and
passed away at the advanced age of eighty-nine
years. By his marriage to Eliza Weiler of the
same town, the following named children were
born : Elizabeth, who became the wife of John



Smith, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Sarah, de-
ceased, who was the wife of Charles Hammond,
of Allentown, Pennsylvania, also deceased ;
Louisa, who became the wife of William Bigo-
ney, of Kutztown, Pennsylvania ; John, mentioned
hereinafter; Daniel, a resident of Ohio; Peter, a
resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ; and
James, who enlisted in the Civil war, served as
captain of Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-
first Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, under
the command of General Reynolds, who was.
killed during the first days engagement at the
battle of Gettysburg. ■ In the same battle Cap-
tain Weida was shot through the body, the ball
passing through the liver, but is still living. Eliza
(Weiler) Weida died in 1892.

John Weida, father of Dr. Weida, was born,
in Longswamp, Berks county, Pennsylvania, in
the same house as his son. Dr. Weida. He was a
cigar and tobacco dealer at Reading, Pennsyl-
vania, for a number of years, was the first to
make the business a success, but later disposed
of it to a Mr. Brenheiser, and returned to the
old homestead, the same on which subject was
born. He was an influential and highly respected
citizen of the community, and aided to the best
of his ability every enterprise that tended toward
its welfare. He was united in marriage to Jane
Butz, who bore him four children : Jerome B.,
mentioned hereafter; Isadore, born 1867, a grad-
uate of the University of Pennsylvania, and is
now a physician of Emaus, Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania. He married Jennie Long, daughter of
]\Iarcus Long, of Longswamp, and they are the
parents of two children : Jennie and Esther
Weida. Jennie, who died at the age of three
years. Paul, residing on old homestead.

Jerome B. Weida received his preliminary
education in the common schools of his neigh-
borhood, and pursued advanced studies at the
Keystone Normal school, at Kutztown, which he
entered in 1877, and the University of Vermont,
at Burlington, which he entered in 1880 and from
which he was graduated in 1883. Prior to his
becoming a student at the latter named institu-
tion he read medicine with Drs. F. J. and P. W.
Wertz, of Longswamp township, and continued
the same during vacations up to the year of his
graduation. In 1883 he located in the city of
Philadelphia and practiced his profession there
for one year, after which he took up his abode in
Freeland, Luzerne county, remaining there and
continuing his practice until April, 1885, when
he took up his residence in Luzerne, where he
has since resided. He is a member of the Free
and Accepted INIasons, of Kingston, and of the



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



623.



chapter, commander)" and shrine at Wilkes-Barre.
October i, 1885, Dr. Weida was married to Miss
Emily Hemsath, a daughter of Henry and
Elizabeth Hemsath. The ceremony was per-
formed on the day that the license law went into
effect in Pennsylvania, and his was the first mar-
riage license isssued in the county. Henry Hem-
sath emigrated to this country from Germany in
1859 ; he was a carpenter and contractor and built
the Roman Catholic church at Eckley, also a
number of the dwelling houses in the town. He
Ijuilt the public school at White Haven, also the
Upper Lehigh Hotel in the town of Foster. He
resides at Zehner postoffice. His wife w'as a na-
tive of Monroe county, Pennsylvania, and a de-
scendant of the old pioneer stock. H. E. H.

REV. TLMOTHY JOSEPH DONAHOE,
pastor of St. Vincent's Roman Catholic Church,
Plymouth, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, was
born in New York city, ]\Iay 16, 1839, the son of
Cornelius and Mary (Sheehan) Donahoe, both
natives of county Cork, Ireland, who emigrated
to this country in 1835.

Cornelius Donahoe was the son of Timothy
and ]\Iary (Desmond) Donahoe, of Cork, Ire-
and, and was born in 1812. He was one of three
children, Ellen, Cornelius and James. He was
educated in the national schools of his native
place, and followed the occupation of a farmer
in Ireland. In 1837, at the age of twenty-five
years, he emigrated to this country, locating in
New York city. New York, and remained there
for two and a half years. He then removed to
Schuylkill county, and for the succeeding three
and a half years was there engaged in the coal
mines. Later he removed to Sullivan county, three
miles from Dushore, Pennsylvania, and there
purchased a farm, in the cultivation of which he
engaged for twenty-two years, when he became
incapacitated for work and retired to Dushore,
where he spent the remainder of his days. In
political relations Mr. Donahoe was a strong
defender of the principles of the Democratic
party, and in religious faith was a devout Roman
Catholic. He was an honorable, reliable man
and well thought of throughout the community.
Cornelius Donahoe married Mary Sheehan, who
was the daughter of Thomas and JMary (Mc-
Carthy) Sheehan, natives of the county of Cork,
and a descendant of a long line of Sheehans of
the same locality. The family of McCarthy, of
which Mary (McCarthy) Sheehan is a member,
trace their lineage back for many generations



from the province of IMunster, Ireland, which in-
cludes the counties of Cork, Carey, Waterford,
and Tipperary, the section in which Thomas
Sheehan and Timothy Donahoe both followed
farming. Cornelius and Mary (Sheehan) Don-
ahoe had children as follows : A daughter, born in
Ireland, January 12, 1837; Timothy Joseph,
further mentioned hereinafter; and four who
died in infancy. The eldest child obtained her
education in Dushore. She is unmarried and re-
sides in Philadelphia.

Timothy Joseph Donahoe, second child and
eldest son of Cornelius and jNIar}' (Sheehan)
Donahoe, obtained his early education in the pub-
lic schools of Sullivan county, Pennsylvania,
which he attended until he was twenty-one years
of age. He engaged in school-teaching for two-
years, after which he entered St. Vincent's Col-
lege in Westmoreland county, remaining there
for two years. He then entered the college of St.
Bonaventure, Cattaraugus county, New York, in
which he remained seven and a half years, and
at the close of his studies in this institution was
ordained into the priesthood November 4, 1873.
He was immediately thereafter appointed as-i
sistant in St. Peter's Cathedral in Scranton,
Pennsylvania, in the duties of which position he
was engaged for ten months. He was then ap-
pointed assistant to the late Father O'Haran,
pastor of St. jNIary's Church, Wilkes-Barre, Au-
gust 27, 1874. Three years later, September i,_
1877, he was removed to Plymouth, Pennsyl-
vania, where he assumed the duties of pastor of
St. Vincent's Church, where he has since re- .
mained. He is an indefatigable worker, and has
made remarkable progress since locating in
Plymouth. Upon his arrival in his new field
Father Donahoe found the church to be too small,
badly lighted and ventilated. He immediately set
himself the task of rebuilding, and with this end
in view purchased a fine site on the corner of
Eno and Church streets, where he has erected one
of the finest edifices in the state at a cost of
$77,000. Being a man of mechanical genius as
well as spiritual talent, Father Donahoe de-
signed much of the inside work himself. The
windows are of the finest quality, eleven of them
being imported from Munich. The pulpit is of
white marble, and the church is in all respects ar-
tistically beautiful. Besides the erection of this
splendid church Father Donahoe has also built a
parsonage at a cost of $18,000, and converted
the old church into a parochial school, which has
an average attendance of over five hundred chil-



■624



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



dren at a cost of $10,000, and the maintenance of
which has cost $50,000. This school is free to
all and is under the charge of the Sisters of
Mercy. The erection of a new convent is now
in progress, this having been begun June i, 1904.
and will be completed in the early part of 1905.
the most imposing and beautiful convents in this
part of Pennsylvania. It will have seven hand-
some windows imported from Munich at a cost
of $1,375, ^'id a beautiful marble altar costing
$1,200. Father Donahoe's work for his church
and people has indeed been wonderful, and the
erection of the beautiful buildings above men-
tioned has been accomplished wholly through
subscriptions which Father Donahoe started in
his own congregation. He arrived in the parish
at a time when the conditions were most unfav-
orable, but his indomitable will and untiring en-
•ergy soon surmounted all obstacles, and his kind
and loving attention has endeared him to the
hearts of his parishioners. He passed through
three serious epidemics in Plymouth, one of ty-
phoid fever, one of small-pox in 1882, and another
of small-pox in 1901, caring for the sick in his
■congregation during these periods with unusual
fortitude. Politically Father Donahoe is bound
to no party, reserving the right to cast his vote
for the man whom he considers best adapted to
the office sought. H. E. H.

LLOYD ELLSWORTH MARKS, one of
the representative business men of Plymouth, son
of Adam and Margaret Jane ( Ko'stenbander)
Marks, was born in Locust township, Columbia
county, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1863.

He spent his early life in the vicinity of his
birthplace, and was educated in the common
schools of Columbia county, and the Bloomsburg
State Normal school, completing his studies there
at the age of twenty years. He began work at
an early age on his father's farm, continuing the
same during the summer months and attending
school during the winter months, as is the com-
mon custom with boys reared in the country.
After his graduation from the normal school he
taught school one term in Locust township, dur-
ing the years 1883-84. In the latter named year
he came to Plymouth, where he engaged in car-
penter work for five years, being meanwhile in
the employ of the Plymouth Planing Mill Com-
pany for three years. For one year he was an
employee of the firm of Weir & Gordon, con-
tractors, and for a similar period of time was in
the employ of J. W. Campbell, a contractor. In
i88g he began contracting and building houses



on his own account, and has so continued up to
the present time. He has built a large number
of residences, which is his specialty, and other
buildings in Plymouth and surrounding territory,
particularly in Wilkes-Barre, Hanover township
and Plymouth borough and township, and these
stand as monuments to his skill and ability along
the line of his profession. Mr. Marks has been
active in politics for many years, casts his vote
for the candidates of the Republican party, and
has served as councilman three terms, having
been elected in 1894, and served as president of
the council in 1897. He was a private in the
Ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania National Guard,
Morris J. Keck, colonel, during and including
1886 to 1888, having enlisted for three years. He
was at Washington, D. C, with the regiment at
President Harrison's inauguration, the Pennsyl-
vania National Guard being the only state guard
represented at that time. He is a member of
Goodwill Lodge, No. 310, Independent Order 'of
Odd Fellows, of Numidia, Locust township, Co-
lumbia county, and attends in Plymouth, having
been initiated in 1885. Mr. Marks married, Oc-
tober 30, 1888, Ella Stiff, born October 17, 1866,
daughter of Robert E. and Harriet Elizabeth
(Major) Stiff, of Plymouth, and one child was
the issue, Elvina, born April 23, 1900. Mr. and
Mrs. Marks attend the Methodist Episcopal
church, in which Mrs. Marks and her mother
hold membership.

Robert E. Stiff, father of Mrs. Marks, was
born February 3, 1840, a son of Samuel and
Ella Stiff, of England, and a descendant of a
long line of English ancestry. Samuel and Ella
Stiff were the parents of six children, among
whom were the following: Henry, who mar-
ried Lena Hoffmaster, issue : AVilliam, Aaron,
John, Mary Ann and a child now deceased. They
reside near Dushore, Pennsylvania. George,
who married and reared a large family ; they
reside in Minnesota. Elizabeth, deceased, was
the wife of David Evans, and mother of the fol-
lowing children : John, William, David, Samuel,
Mary Ann and Elizabeth. They reside in Arnot,
Pennsylvania. Robert E., mentioned hereafter.
Robert E. Stiff was engaged in the coal mining
business in Plymouth from 1866 to 1893, when
he became an invalid and was thus incapacitated
for active pursuits. He married, December 25,

1865, Harriet Elizabeth Major, born August 4,
1849, at Ringold, Pennsylvania, and three chil-
dren were the issue: Ella, born October 17,

1866, aforementioned as the wife of Lloyd E.
Marks. George David, bom February 3, 1870.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



.625



Elvina, bom February 11, 1873, died April 24,
1885, aged twelve years. Harriet Elizabeth
(Major) Stiff was a daughter of David and
Harriet ( Knapp) Major, of Lehigh county,



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 129 of 130)