Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 15 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 15 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ebenezer.

Ebenezer Richmond, son of John and Abigail
(Rogers) Richmond, was born in Newport,
Rhode Island, May 12, 1676. He married in
1701, Ann Sproat, born 1671, daughter of Rob-
ert and Elizabeth (Sampson) Sproat, and six
children were born to them ; Ebenezer, Robert,
Anna, Rachel, Elizabeth and Sylvester. He was
a man of honorable and upright character, and
was chosen to represent the people in various
offices of trust and responsibility.

Robert Richmond, second son of Ebenezer
and Ann (Sproat) Richmond, was born in Mid-
dleboro, Massachusetts, September 18, 1702. He
married. May 17, 1733, Martha Washburn, of
Bridgewater, born 1709, daughter of James and
Alary (Bowden) Washburn, and the children of
this union were : Elizabeth, Lucia, Robert and
Alartha. Mr. Richmond married for his second
wife Dorcas Jones, who bore him three children :
Mary, Ezra and Anna. Mr. Richmond was in
the King's service in the expedition against Que-
bec, and faithfully and conscientiously performed
the duties allotted to him.

Robert Richmond, only son of Robert and
Martha (Washburn) Richmond, was born in
Aliddleboro, Massachusetts, April 19, 1738. He
served three years with credit and distinction in
the Revolutionary war, and took an active inter-
est in everything conducing to the prosperitv of
the people and the welfare of his native state.
He married, November 4. 1766, Alartha Hinde,
born July 18, 1743, daughter of John and Alice



68



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Hinde, of Brookfiekl, Massachusetts. Their
children were: John, a physician, mentioned
hereinafter; Lucy, married Benjamin Gilbert;
Eunice, married Barnard Gilbert ; Martha ; Rob-
ert, drowned in Boston at the age of twenty
years ; Abner, died in early life ; Esther, married
Elijah Morgan; and Alice, married Nehemiah

Howe.

Dr. John Richmond, eldest son of Robert and
Martha (Hinde) Richmond, was born in West
Brookfield, Worcester county, Massachusetts,
December 9, 1767 . He married, May 14, 1794,
Prudence, daughter of William and Jemima
Wadsworth, of East Hartford, Connecticut. Sine
was born January 29, 1772. John Richmond
was reared and educated in his native town, and
later pursued a course of study in medicine, re-
ceiving his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1795.
He commenced the practice of his profession in
the town of Chatham, East Hampton Society,
Connecticut, and until his death in 1821 was the
principal physician in that vicinity. He was a
man of broad intellect and keen insight, and the
prominence he attained in his chosen profession
was solely due to his unaided exertions. ( See
Medical Library and Historical Journal, Brook-
lyn, New York, July, 1903.) The children of Dr.
John and Prudence (Wadsworth) Richmond
were:

1. William Wadsworth, born October 27,
1797, referred to hereinafter.

2. Hiram, born East Hampton, Connecticut,
September 3, 1799, died July 19, 1856. He mar-
ried, November, 1822, Phoebe A. Edwards, of
East Hampton, Connecticut, born August 6,
1804, and their children were : James Gould,
born December 16, 1823; Charles Conklin, born
November 8, 1824; Abigail W., born November
30, 1826, married Titus M. Pratt; Frances E.,
born November 30, 1827, married Christopher
Washburn; Anna Estelle, born June 17, 1829;
Louise Barton, born January 15, 1832, married
David Jones ; John, born February 19, 1834 ;
Hiram Wadsworth, born September 8, 1836;
Eunice Tryphena, born April 18, 1838; Newell
Smith, born August 6, 1840; Franklin Corn-
stock, born June 4, 1842; Mary Jane, born Feb-
ruary 19, 1848.

3. Eunice Richmond, born Chatham, August
21, 1801, married (first), December 14, 1820,
Dr. Richard M. Smith, son of Simon and Ruth
(Mayo) Smith, of Chatham, Connecticut, and he
succeeded to the practice of his father-in-law. Dr.
John Richmond; Dr. Smith died in 1822. She
married (second), 1835, David Kellogg, of



Marlboro, Connecticut. She married (third)^
George P. Heap, 1875. Her death occurred in
1887. By these several marriages only one child
was born, Prudence M., who married Daniel
Lord.

4. Robert U. Richmond, born East Hampton,
October 30, 1803, married, November, 1825,
Caroline Smith, and their children were : Cyn-
thia, Henry, Rebecca, Mary, Robert, William,
Sarah and Elizabeth

5. Abner Hall, born East Hampton, March
7, 1806, married, June 7, 1828, Electa Parsons,,
and their children were: Sarah M., Electa N.,
Pomeroy C, Rosetta L., and Adeline E. The
family resided in city of New York.

6. Mima, born East Hampton, 'Connecticut
March 7, 1806, married Ebenezer Hopkins, and
their children were: John R., Lucien, George,
Henry and Maria.

7. John, twin to Mima, born at East Hamp-
ton, Connecticut, November 7, 1806, died at
Litchfield, Connecticut ; he was the father of two
sons.

8. Leonard Richmond, born East Hampton,
Connecticut, March 17, 1808, died September,
1838. He was a manufacturer of woolen goods.
He married Edna Wright, who bore him two^
children : Burton and John.

9. Nelson Clark, born September 17, 181 2,
married, September 22, 1835, Mary Ann Cone,
born December 29, 181 5, daughter of Sylvester
Cone. Their children were: John E., Eliza C,
Evelyn C, George, M. C, and Wadsworth C.
Richmond.

William Wadsworth Richmond eldest son of
Dr. John and Prudence (Wadsworth) Rich-
mond, was born in Chatham, East Hampton So-
ciety, Connecticut, October 27, 1797. His edu-
cation was acquired in the common schools of
that town, and later served an apprenticeship at
the trade of blacksmith and foundryman, which
line of work he followed in addition to farming
at Marlborough, Connecticut, where lie settled in
1820. His business prospered greatly and was in
a flourishing condition at the time of the finan-
cial panic of 1837, when, like so many other busi-
ness men, the accumulation of years of industr}'
and thrift was swept away. November 10, 18 19,
Mr. Richmond married Clarissa Bailey, born in
Chatham, Connecticut, April 19, 1800, daughter
of Nathaniel and Rachel (Sears) Bailey, men-
tioned at length in the following paragraph, and
five children were the issue, as follows : William
H., referred to hereinafter. Harriet K., born
December 31, 1S23, married George W. Cheney,




s

o
o

DC
O

z

<

Q



D
Z
Z

o

o
o




THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



69



and their children are : Wells W., Louis R., and
George Herbert : the family reside in South
Manchester, Connecticut. Emily F., born No-
vember 17, 1826, died January. 1858; she was
the wife of William E. Jones, of Marlboro, and
they were the parents of one son. Frances A.,
born May i, 1828, died July 6, 1857: ■^-he was
the wife of Augustus S. Smith ; there are no liv-
ing children of this marriage. Albert Wads-
worth, born June 30, 183 1, died November 25,
1868, in Carbondale, Pennsylvania ; he was mar-
ried to Laura Packer, of Carbondale, Pennsyl-
vania, and they were the parents of one daugh-
ter. Fanny, who was married to Dr. William S.
Gillam, and they live in South Manchester, Con-
necticut. William W. Richmond (father) died
at his home in Marlborough, May 31, 1843. He
survived his wife several years, she having
])assed away October 26, 1834.

Joshua Bailey, grandfather of Mrs. William
Wadsworth Richmond, and great-grandfather of
William H. Richmond, married Ann Foote,
daughter of Nathaniel Foote (sixth generation j
and his wife Patience Gates, and for many years
was one of the prominent and leading citizens of
East Hampton. Connecticut. The children of
Nathaniel and Patience ( Gates ) Foote were :
I. Patience, who was the grandmother of John
Bigelow, minister to France, and president of the
board of trustees of Astor, Lenox and Tilden
Libraries of the city of New York after their
consolidation, and he was also the executor of
the Tilden estate. A bust of John Bigelow was
erected in Bryant Squire, New York. 2. Ann,
aforementioned as the wife of Joshua Bailey. 3.
Martha. 4. Aaron. 5. ]\Iargaret. 6. Esther,
the great-grandmother of Rev. Caleb Frank
Gates, who was president of Euphrates College
at Harport, Turkey, the buildings of which were
burned in 1894 or 1895 and rebuilt by him. In
1903 he was made president of Robert College,
Constantinople, Turkey, and is still serving in
that capacity. 7. Lucy. 8. Mary. 9. Dan, the
grandfather of Rev. Lewis Ray Foote, for thirty
years pastor of the Throop Avenue Presbyterian
Church, Brooklyn, New York, and still serving
in that capacity.

Nathaniel Bailey, father of Mrs. William
Wadsworth Richmond, and grandfather of Wil-
liam H. Richmond, was born at Colchester. East
Hampton Society, Connecticut, September 6,
1768. He married Rachel Sears, born East
Hampton, Connecticut, September 9, 1768.
daughter cf Captain Elkanah and Ruth (White)
Sears, and their children were: i. Henrv. born



1785, died in West Chester, Connecticut, mar-
ried, no children. 2. Rhoda, born 1794, married
Henry Roberts, of Massachusetts, and settled in
Middle Haddam, Connecticut, about 1835. 3.
Clarissa, born 1800, died 1834, aforementioned
as the wife of William Wadsworth Richmond,
and the mother of William H. Richmond. 4.
Harriet, married Alfred Williams, about 1832-
33, and lived at East Hampton. Connecticut.
Their children : Nathaniel, Newton, Eugene
and Charles. Nathaniel Bailey was drowned in
the year 1817, aged forty-nine years; his wife
died September 19, 1850, at East Hampton, Cju-
necticut, aged eighty-two years.

Captain Elkanah Sears, father of Rachel
(Sears) Bailey, was a direct descendant of Rich-
ard Sears, of Yarmouth, Massachusetts. He
was born April 12, 1734, died November 24,
1816, East Hampton, Connecticut, aged eighty-
three vears. In 1789 he was a member of the
committee appointed to provide for the wants of
the Continental army. At the breaking out of
the Revolutionary war he equipped and com-
manded a vessel, which preyed upon British
convoys. His vessel was captured by a British
ship and he and his partner were made prisoners.
Overhearing the discussion of their execution in
the morning they swam ashore and thus made
their escape. His partner in this desperate at-
tempt at escape gave out in the water, and Cap-
tain Sears, under fire from the guns on board the
British vessel, which had discovered their escape,
went to the rescue of his partner and brought
him safely ashore. He later fitted out another
privateering vessel, in which he did good service.
In 1794 he purchased land in Freehold, Albany
county. New York, and engaged in mechanical
and agricultural pursuits.

Captain Sears married, January 6, 1757.
Ruth White, daughter of Joseph White, of Mid-
dletown, and her death occurred March 9, 1823,
at the age of ninety vears. Their children w^re:
Isaac, born 1757; Willard, born 1760; Ruth,
born 1763: also Ruth, born March 17, 1765,
died at Meredith, New York, 1830 : married,
November 5, 1784, Joshua Bailey, who with his
brother Timothy were the inventors and paten-
tees of machinery for making knitted underwear,
and were the first manufacturers of that wear
in this country, at Cohoes, New York ; and
Rachel, born East Hampton, Connecticut, Sep-
tember 9, 1768, became the wife of Nathaniel
Bailey, as before stated, and died September 19,
1850, at East Hampton, Connecticut, aged
eighty-two }ears.



70



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



William H. Richmond was born in Marlbor-
borough, Hartford county, Connecticut, October
23, 1821. During his boyhood he enjoyed the
advantages afforded by the public and select
schools of that day, the same being usually in
charge of men who had been educated in Bacon
Academy. His teacher in the select school was
the 'late Israel M. Buckingham, brother of a
former governor of Connecticut. At the age of
thirteen he entered the employ of a merchant at
Middle Haddam, Connecticut, where he re-
mained as clerk for three years, or until the panic
of 1837, when he returned home, concluded his
studies, and worked on the farm and in his
father's blacksmith and foundry shops. In 1842
he went to the city of Hartford, Connecticut, but
failing to secure employment there, paid a visit
to an uncle in Dutchess county, New York, with
whom he went to Saugerties, where he made the
acquaintance of Robert H. Moore, merchant, and
with him went to Honesdale, Pennsylvania, in
May, 1842, remaining in his employ for three
years. At the expiration of this period of time
he commenced business in Carbondale, Pennsyl-
vania, under the firm name of Richmond & Rob-
inson, general country store, but never sold in-
toxicating drinks, in a storehouse built by Solo-
mon Lathrope, said to be the first store building
erected in the town, and this connection con-
tinued until 1853, in which year Mr. Robinson
retired. About this time Mr. Richmond added
an additional business, a factory for manufact-
uring sashes, doors, blinds, coal cars, etc., which
he continued to operate until 1861. This was the
first wood working machinery installed in North-
eastern Pennsylvania, except a factory at Hones-
dale, Pennsylvania, and in 185 1 or 1852 he made
the sashes for the Lackawanna Railroad shops at
Scranton. September 15, 1855, his store and
buildings upon the lots, save his dwelling house,
were burned, involving considerable loss. On
January 15, 1856, he completed a new store
building, one hundred by sixty feet, which was
finished in a style superior to any other then
known in northern Pennsylvania, and in 1867,
eleven years hence, he disposed of it to the pres-
ent owners.

In January, i860, Mr. Richmond commenced
mining anthracite coal in Blakely township, near
Scranton, under the firm name of Richmond &
Co., having for partner Charles P. Wurts, late
general superintendent of the Delaware & Hud-
son Canal Company, and in 1863 the business
was transferred to the Elk Hill Coal & Iron Com-
pany, with ?i[r. Wurts as president, and j\Ir.



Richmond as treasurer and manager, but the fol-
lowing year Mr. Wurts withdrew, and George
L. Morse, brother-in-law of Air. Richmond, be-
came president and served until 1880, since
which time Mr. Richmond has been president of
the company. In i860 Mr. Richmond erected
one of the first coal breakers on the line of the
Delaware & Hudson Canal Company. Previous
to this time the company had shipped their coal
in lump as it came from the mine, running it
over screens to clean from culm, and then com-
menced the practice of breaking, sorting and
cleaning the coal for market. In 1883 the coal
breaker was destroyed by fire, and in the follow-
ing year another was built in the second ward of
Scranton, near the Brisbin colliery. This was
sold in 1889 and another commenced on the
ground in Dickson City where the first was lo-
cated in i860. The shaft from which the coal
was taken was sunk on lands of the Carter es-
tate in the first ward, and with great difficulty
and expense, it being necessary to go through
some ninety feet of drift, the greater part of it
quicksand, before reaching the rock. The ca-
pacity of this colliery is a thousand or more tons
per day of superior anthracite coal of every size.
In 189 1 he made a lease of about one thousand
acres of coal lands owned by the estate of the
late G. L. Morss, in Fell township, about five
miles above Carbondale, the following year com-
menced to sink shafts and build a coal breaker
and works, and in October, 1893, he commenced
shipping coal. This colliery has a capacity of
fifteen hundred tons per day, and the product
from both collieries was shipped over the New
York, Ontario & Western and other roads to all
the different markets. At the last named col-
liery Mr. Richmond conceived the plan of put-
ting up a steel tower over the shaft which was
sunk some two hundred and twenty-two feet to
two veins of coal seven and eight feet thick, and
connecting the tower with the coal breaker two
hundred feet away by a steel chute supported'
on two intermediate towers. At a height of one
hundred and fifty feet by automatic arrangement
the carriage and car is tilted and the coal dis-
charged into the chute and it then gravitates to
the large breaking rolls, and thence through the
many screens to size the same and prepare it for
shipment. One man is located at the point where
the carriage is tilted who takes the ticket from
the car and directs the engineer, who is located
in engine room in leanto of coal breaker, by a
signal bell to operate the carriage which again-
goes to the bottom of the mine, while another



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



71



car ascends through the adjoining opening of
the shaft with its load of coal. The steel tower
is one hundred and eighty-seven feet high and
about fifty feet square at its base. The steel
chute is made necessary by reason of the mine
la,ws of Pennsylvania, which stipulates that coal
breakers must not be nearer than two hundred
feet of the shaft.

When ground was broken for the colliery
it was covered with timber. A saw-mill was
erected and much of the timber for the improve-
ments, two or three million feet, was made. They
also erected about fifty tenements, besides shops,
barns, and a store in which a general stock of
goods was kept for sale. The cost of mining at
Carbondale and transporting coal by gravity
railroad to Honesdale (from whence it went by
canal to North river, Kingston,), at the time
when Mr. Richmond first came to Honesdale,
Pennsylvania, in 1842, was not more than a dol-
lar per ton. Cost of placing coal in Honesdale,
Pennsylvania, $1.00 a ton. Alining was done
at Carbondale for thirty-five cents a ton in sum-
mer and twenty-eight cents in winter, when the
mines were permitted to work. In addition to
the industries above named Mr. Richmond was
engaged in the business of making files for a
number of vears, his plant being finally destroyed
bv fire, entailing considerable loss. Among the
first bills of dry goods bought in the city of New
York was of Messrs. Stone & Starr, then located
on Pine street, and Mr. Richmond continued pur-
chasing from this firm and its successors for a
period of forty-nine years. He also purchased
goods continuously for about thirty-five years
of E. S. Jaffrey & Co., and their predecessors.
His business dealings, large and small, have al-
ways been characterized by blunt integrity and
an open hand. He was endowed with an unus-
ual foresight, a predisposition to properly apply
the means at his command, and an aptitude to
grasp details and apply them quickly, and thus
he won an enviable reputation for himself and a
handsome competency. He was the first presi-
dent of the Crystal Lake Water Company, of the
city of Carbondale, Pennsylvania, in the early
fifties, and gave it its name. He was also active
in the management of the Carbondale Gas Com-
pany about same time, and one of the original
stockholders. He was for many years director
in the Third National Bank, Scranton ; member
of the American Jersey Cattle Club some twenty-
five years : the New England Society of North-
eastern Pennsvlvania ; the American Institute of



^Mining Engineers ; Franklin Institute ; National
Geographic Society ; American Bible Society ;
American Association for the Advancement of
Science ; Sons of the American Revolution, May-
flower Society and others. He is a patron of
the Egyptian Exploration fund.

The political views of jNIr. Richmond coin-
cide with those of the Republican party regard-
ing tariff and coinage, but he gives his support
to the Prohibition party, which nominated him
for congress in the twelfth district in 1868 and
again in 1904. Since 1842 he has been actively
identified with the Presbyterian church, has been
a member, of the Lackawanna Bible Society for
more than three decades, and is a liberal con-
tributor to religious enterprises. During the
Civil war he was unable to render the United
States government active service, but aided the
cause by means of a substitute.

June 5, 1849, Mr. Richmond was married to
Lois R. Morss, of Windham, Greene county.
New York. Their children are : Mary Roxana,
who graduated from Vassar College in the class
of 1876; married, October 6, 1881, Frederick K.
Trsrcy, formerly of Mansfield, Ohio, an attorney
by profession, since 1893 to 1899 vice-president
of the Elk Hill Coal and Iron Company, and
since 1899 has engaged in the practice of law
at Scranton. Mr. and Mrs. Tracy reside in
Scranton. Their children : Lois Richmond Tracy,
now third year at Vassar College ; Emeline Kirt-
land, in second year Dwight School, Englewood,
New Jersey ; William Richmond Tracy, pursuing
course in civil engineering ; Mary Avery, and
Frederick L., at school. Emeline K., who was
educated at Vassar College. Clara Morss, also
educated at Vassar College. They are now with
their parents. Two children died in infancy.
Mr. Richmond erected one of the finest resi-
dences in the Lackawanna Valley upon a pleas-
antly located farm known as Richmond Hill
farm, to which he removed from Carbondale,
September 7, 1874. The location is about four
miles from the postoffice. Richmond Hill is in
the northeastern limits of the city of Scranton.
The family is one of the most prominent in the
city.

WILLIAM HENRY PECK. Henry Peck
(i) was born in England, and was among the
earliest settlers in New Haven, Connecticut, in
1638, and was made freeman in 1644. He and
Deacon William Peck, who also settled there in
1638, were doubtless relatives and may have been



72



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



brothers. Thev are supposed to have emigrated
to America in 'the Company of Governor Eaton,
with Rev. John Davenport and others, who ar-
rived at Boston, June 26, 1637, in the ship "Hec-
tor. " He signed the compact of the original set-
tlers made at New Haven, June 4, 1639, and
took an active interest in the management and
aiifairs of the settlement. His house lot was in
that part of the town now included within the
city limits of New Haven, and is still occupied
by' his descendants. Henry Peck died in 1651,
and his will bears the date of October 30, 1651.
Nothing is known of his marriage except that his
wife's name was Joan, and that his will men-
tioned four children. They were: Eleazer, bap-
tized March 13, 1643; Joseph (twin), baptized
September 5, 1647; Benjamin (twin), baptized
September 5, 1647: Elizabeth, born March 16,
1649, married John Hotchkiss, December 4,
1672.

Joseph Peck (2) second son of Henry Peck,
lived and died in New Haven. He married, No-
vember 28, 1672, Sarah Ailing, daughter of
Roger Ailing, of New Haven, Connecticut. His
widow was appointed to administer his estate,
September 5, 1720, and returned the inventory
of property, September 30, 1720. Joseph Peck
and Sarah Ailing had nine children : Sarah,
Joseph, Samuel, James, John, Eliphalet, Abigail,
Mary and Ebenezer.

John (3), fifth child of Joseph Peck and
wife Sarah Ailing, born in New Haven, Connec-
ticut, October 6, 1682, living there throughout
his life and dying on the paternal homestead.
He married, January 30, 1706-07, Esther Morris.
They had children : Joseph, born January 2"],
1707-08; Eliphalet, born March 4, 1710; John,
born August 30, 1712, died young.

Eliphalet (4), second son of John Peck and
wife Esther Morris, was reared probably by his
uncle James Peck, who was his guardian, his
father having died while his children were young,
and his widow after his death married John Mix.
Eliphalet left New Haven when he was young
and spent most of his life in Danbury, Fairfield
county, Connecticut, where he died at an ad-
vanced age. His wife's christian name was Re-
becca. Eliphalet and Rebecca had children :
Jesse, Phineas, Elkanah, John, Stephen, Esther
(married Stephen Curtis), and Rebecca (mar-
ried Aaron Stone).

Jesse (5), eldest son of Eliphalet Peck and
his wife Rebecca, settled in the south part of
Danbury (now Bethel), upon new land, which



he cleared of the original forest and made into
a farm. He and three of his sons served in the
Revolutionary army. He died before the close
of the war, and one son, Nathaniel, died of small-
pox contracted while in the service. The other
two were captured, carried to New York and
confined in "The Jersey," which was an old ship
anchored in the East river, and used by the
British as a prison. Here they suffered many
deaths ; and when at last they were released and
carried home, they were so broken down by
disease and brutal treatment that they were not
able for a time to recognize their own mother.
Jesse was a member of the church at Bethel in
1760, and died January 28, 1777. He married
Ruth Hoyt, who was born February 26, 1738,



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 15 of 130)