Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 19 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 19 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook



liquors. He made his residence at 14 Ellen
street, Cincinnati, in a house built in 1841 by
Ebenezer Wood, father of his first wife. He
died in Newport, Kentucky, April 11, 1902, uni-
versally esteemed.

INIr. Larkin married in 1844. Miss Emeline
Wood, who died in 1847. He subsequently mar-
ried Aliss Julia Ann Stark, daughter of William
T. Stark, of Xenia, Ohio. She was a lineal de-
scendant of the great Stark family, from which
came John Stark of Revolutionary fame, and
was a grandniece of John Marshall, the distin-
guished chief justice of the United States. In
her young womanhood she was an intimate com-
panion of Lucy Webb, who became the wife of
President Rutherford B. Hayes, and their friend-
ship was continued through life. To Mr. and
Mrs. Larkin were born seven children, four of
whom are living: jNIadison F.. to be further re-
ferrred to ; Albert ]\I. cashier of the German Na-
tional Bank of Newport, Kentucky ; Francis ]\1.,
who was educated at the Ohio Wesleyan Uni-
versity, and now pastor of Grace jMethodist Epis-
copal Church of San Francisco,, California ; and
Helen. The deceased children are Edgar D.,
Lydia S., and an infant daughter.

]\ladison F. Larkin, third child of Joseph
F. and Julia (Stark) Larkin, was born in
Cincinnati, Ohio, October 15, 1855. He began
his education in the public schools, and completed
it in the Ohio Wesleyan College. In his youth
he became messenger in the private banking
house of Larkin, Wright and Company ( of
which his father was senior member), at Cincin-
nati, and was promoted to paying teller. In 1874
he was seriously affected by the death of a
brother and sister, and left the banking business
for outdoor occupation on account of impaired
health. Going to Galveston, Texas, with a let-
ter of introduction to the since famous banker,
J. W. Seligman, that gentleman gave him a po-
sition in a branch bank at Goliad, in that state.
Shortly afterward Mr. Larkin returned to his
original determination, and joined a company
of thirty drovers and assisted in driving four
thousand head of cattle from Goliad, Texas, to
Waco, Texas, sleeping on the ground and cook-
ing provisions by the roadside. During his so-
journ in this region he experienced many vicissi-
tudes, not the least of which was finding himself
moneyless among strangers and also, at times,
among desperadoes. At Shrevesport, Louisiana,
with three companions, he constructed a flat boat
and the party set out to float down river to New
Orleans. They knew nothing of the dangers of
the expedition, and were perplexed at one point

in the Red river to discover that the stream ran
up hill, necessitating their paddling their un-
wieldly craft for nine miles, where the Missis-
sippi river backwatered, using improvised oars,
the men working by relays all day until the crest
of the river was reached. After many thrilling
experiences and hairbreadth escapes, they reached
New Orleans, entirely destitute, and quite shabby
from their long voyage. Their illy-constructed
craft, which had cost them arduous labor, they
sold f^r one dollar, out of which they paid twen-
ty-five cents for three loaves of bread which they,
in their half-starved condition, devoured with
avidity, having river water as their only drink,
and were glad to find repose for the night in
sugar hogsheads on the wharf. At this juncture
there came into port the river steamboat
"Charles ^Morgan,"' commanded by Captain Stein,
a friend of his family, who fed and clothed
him. Air. Larkin returned to Cincinnati on Cap-
tain Stein's vessel, reaching that place Alay 11,
1876, his trip having continued from December
I, 1875, previous.

Although his health had been greatly im-
proved, it was deemed best that Mr. Larkin
should abide yet longer in a newer country.
Having an uncle, a prosperous trader, in Arizona,
he took the journey across the plains to Phoenix,
consuming seventeen days, six days and nights
of the trip being by stage coach from San Diego
to Phcenix, Arizona. At one time Mr. Larkin,
unarmed and on his way to Florence, Arizona,
was surrounded by a dozen or more savages, and
escaped only by the fleetness of his horse. Know-
ing that they would await him on his return next
day, he determined to take the night for his trip,
which he safely did. At Phcenix he clerked in
a store, and also served as agent for the Wells
Fargo Express, being one of its first agents in
Arizona. While here he narrowly escaped the
fate of a companion with whom he was sleeping
who was crushed to death during a tornado which
brought down upon their bed a portion of the
roof of the store in which they were sleeping.

In January, 1877, Mr. Larkin accompanied
King Woolsey, president of the Upper House of
the territorial legislature, to Tucson, and in the
session that year served as secretary on the
committee on territorial affairs, to which was
referred the request for franchise of the South-
ern Pacific Railway, the road receiving its fran-
chise through the recommendation of the com-
mittee. It was in the formative days, and Mr.
Larkin witnessed many a scene similar to those
portrayed by Mark Twain in his "Roughing
It," among them being the committee meet-



ings in the leading- saloon witli all its fron-
tier clientele, primitive furnishings and "bad
liquors," leading to frec|uent deadly encount-
ers. In 1879 he went to Prescott and through
the aid of John J. \'alentine, president of
Wells, Fargo and Company Express, he be-
came employed in the Bank of Arizona, and
while serving in that capacity had a unique
(and only) experience as a theatrical impres-
sario. A company playing the then favorite
comic opera, "Pinafore," with Pauline Mark-
ham as leading lady, had stranded in Tucson,
and Mr. Larkin brought the company to Pres-
cott. where he managed it under a two weeks'
engagement to the vast enjoyment of the in-
habitants and the great financial advantage
of the company. Acquitting himself in his
bank duties to the great satisfaction of his
employers, he was ofifered a position in the
Bank of Arizona at Phoenix, also agent of
the stage company and agent of the Wells,
Fargo and Company's express. He resigned
his position at Prescott and went to Phoenix,
only to learn that his letter of acceptance of
the position at Phoenix had been lost, and
another had been called from California to
take the position. After the shock of finding
himself in such a predicament, he returned
to Prescott and entered the service of the
chief quartermaster's department at Whipple
Barracks under Major Grimes, an old school-
mate of his mother, and served in that capacity
until 1881.

In 1881 he returned east, with health re-
gained, and a vast knowledge of human nat-
ure in its most varied aspects — a knowledge
which was to prove an invaluable portion of
his equipment in his future career. In 1882
he entered the United States National Bank of
New York, one of the leading financial insti-
tutions of the metropolis in that day, and was
three times promoted in one year, up to the
post of individual bookkeeper. The same vear
he returned to Cincinnati to become president
of the East End Lumber Company, which he
conducted for seven years, until the lumber-
men's war of i8go, which the East End Lum-
ber Company could not survive, and be was
compelled to quit business. Going back into
the banking business, he entered the employ
of the Market National Bank of Cincinnati,
and remained with them imtil the first of Jan-
uary, 1897. In January, 1897, he went to
Kansas City, Missouri, where he firsc served
with the National Surety Company, (now of

New York City) and subsequently with Swift
and Company, the great meat packers. While
connected with the latter house there came a
crisis in his life, a conflict with his conscience
and the service required of him. Holding the
convictions he did, he could not conscienti-
ously perform labor on the Sabbath. On the
other hand, stern necessity admonished him
to forego his scruples and retain his employ-
ment, for he was facing poverty and could
not look for help to his father, whose fortune
had gone down in the bank closure at Cin-
cinnati. Moreover, he was in a "boom town"
from which the glory had departed, and he
knew not where to turn for other employment.
At this critical moment his devoted wife was
a tower of strength to him, and she cheerfully
offered to share any fate and face any depriva-
tions rather than that he should consent to
a sacrifice of a principle which was as dear to
her as to him. Under all these circumstances,
verging closely upon the tragical, it was not
strange that the devoted pair, in their deeply
religious natures, should regard it as a provi-
dential interposition when on the very day of
his resignation of his position with Swift and
Company he received a telegram from T. J.
Foster, of Scranton, Pennsylvania, profifering
him an important place in connection with the
International Text-Book Company. Entering
the service of this great corporation in the
capacity of bookkeeper, he gave to his duties
such conscientious devotion and large abili-
ties that he was speedily promoted to the place
of chief accountant, then assistant treasurer,
and finally, December i, 1902, controller.
Than this recital of fact nothing is needed to
attest his worth. The educational institution
with which he is so prominently identified is
of world-wide fame, and the simple state-
ment of occupancy of such a place with it
is fuller assurance than would be jjages of

Mr. Larkin is a devoted Methodist and an
active member of the Elm Park Church, beins:
secretary of the official board of the church.
His piety, without display, is something vital
and pervasive, more nearly resembling that of
the early days than is often known in this a':i'e
of worldliness and cynicism.

In 1889 Mr. Larkin married Miss Hattie
E. Harrington, daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
David Chase Harrington, of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. .'\ woman of lovely cliaracter
and pure christian principle, she was the sym-



pathetic companion of her husljand during his
most trying days, as she is at present the
bright sharer of his life of success and broad
usefuhiess. They have a son, Curtis H., four-
teen years old, attending the Bordentown
Military Institute, Bordentown, New Jersey.

CONRAD FRUEHAX. There is no ele-
ment which has entered American civic and in-
dustrial life which has been of greater practical
strength, value and utility than that furnished
by the sturdy, persevering and honorable sons
of Germany. Intensely practical and ever hav-
ing a clear comprehension of the ethics of life,
the German contingent has wielded a powerful
influence for good and has permeated all depart-
ments of our national existence.

Among the worthy representatives of the
German- American stock in the citv of Scranton,
Lackawanna county, is found him whose name
initiates this sketch, who has here maintained his
home for more than a half century. In the vear
1853 George Fruehan and his good wife, Eliza-
beth, in company with their three sons, George,
Jr.. Henry and Conrad, immigrated from the
•German fatherland to the United States, making
Scranton their ultimate destination and establish-
ing a home in the south part of the city. Here
George, Jr., died a few years ago, having been
a representative business man and honored citi-
zen, and the other two sons still abide here, the
subject of this review being the younger. The
father secured employment in the rolling mill
soon after his arrival in Scranton, and in the
same his three sons also worked for a number
of years. The honored father, an honest, up-
right and God-fearing man, timed his life to in-
sistent and well directed industry, and through
this gained a competency, having accumulated a
considerable property before his death, including
the substantial family home in Cedar avenue.
There his death occurred in 1897, his loved and
devoted wife having passed away in 1889.

Conrad Eruehan was born in Harpsheim,
'Germany, July 3, 1844, and was thus but nine
years of age at the time of his parents' immigra-
tion to America. He early began to assume the
active responsibilities of life, and in addition to
securing the advantages of the common schools
of Scranton was signally favored in having a
home of comfort and grateful affection and com-
munity of interest. His career has been marked
by no incidents or events to challenge the de-
scriptive powers of the writer of sensational ar-
ticles, but it has been one of consecutive appli-

cation along those lines which conserve the well-
being of the community and make for personal
stability and success. His active career has been
to a large extent given to the vocation of wood-
worker, and he has been fortunate in his labors
and has made due provision for the declining
years of his life, which he will be enabled to
pass in peace and comfort, having accumulated
a competency. He is one of the well known and
highly esteemed citizens of the south side division
of Scranton, his attractive residence being located
at 626 Cedar avenue, on which thoroughfare is
also located the old homestead of his parents,
of which he came into possession at the time of
their death, and of which he is still owner. In
his political proclivities j\Ir. Fruehan is a stanch
Republican, and his religious faith is that of the
Presbyterian Church, while in a fraternal way he
is identified with both the lodge and encampment
bodies of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and with the Improved Order of Red iNIen. For
twentv years he was a member of the Centen-
nial Band, in which he played the bass drum. On
August 12, 1876, was solemnized the marriage
of Mr. Fruehan to Miss Christine Metz, who
was born in Germany, February 13, 1859, being
a daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Weil) Metz.
who immigrated to America and settled in Lack-
awanna county, Pennsylvania, when she was a
child. To Air. and Mrs. Fruehan were born six
children, of whom five are living, namely : Con-
rad, Jr., Peter, William F., Ludwig, Rudolph H.
and Frederick W. In the family circle are also
to be found four children of Mrs. Fruehan's de-
ceased sister, Mrs. Mary Werner, and their
names are as follows : Charles, Kate. August and
Christine. Mary, a sister of these four, is a mem-
ber of the home circle of her uncle, Henry Erue-
han. Conrad Fruehan, Jr., eldest son of our
subject, was a member of the Thirteenth Regi-
ment of the Pennsylvania National Guard, serv-
ing two enlistments. He is the only one of our
subject's sons who has assumed connubial re-
sponsibilities. He married Miss Elsie Edwards,
and they have three children, August, Mayda
and Harold.

\TES, JR. Henry P. Davis is one of the best
known men w ho have been interested in the pro-
duction of coal in the Lackawanna valley, and
he is also the oldest foreman in point of contin-
uous service in the employ of the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western Company in the vi-
cinity of Scranton, Pennsylvania. He was born


in Monmouthshire, South Wales, July i, 1838.

He was reared and educated in his native
country, and in early life took up mining as a
means of livelihood. In 1859, being attracted
by the possibilities oiifered to young men in the
business world of the United States, he emi-
grated thither and located in Baltimore, Mary-
land, where for four years he was employed in
the Canton Copper Works. During this period
of time the Civil war broke out, which caused
a disturbance in that city, and about the same
time the Massachusetts troops were shamefully
treated by the Rebel element there. Mr. Davies
made an attempt to go north, whereupon he was
taken by the Rebels for one of "Lincoln's men,"
and he had a very narrow escape. During the
above disturbance he was drafted twice to burn
down bridges so that the northern troops might
not pass over on their way down south. Sub-
sequently, when the state was voted in as one of
the Union, he returned to the city of Baltimore
and remained there two years. In 1863 he re-
moved to Ashland, Schuylkill county, Pennsvl-
vania, where he engaged in mining four years,
and at the expiration of this period of time re-
moved to Scranton, same state, where he has
since made his home. His residence is one of
the finest on South Main avenue, and he is uni-
versally honored and esteemed throughout the
city. For the long period of thirty-seven years
he has served faithfully and efficiently the Dela-
ware, Lackawanna and Western Company, thir-
ty-one years of which has been spent in the ca-
pacity of foreman, and during all this time he
has never met with any accident while in the dis-
charge of his duties. Like most of the people
of his native country, South Wales^ both men
and women, Mr. Davies formerly possessed a
fine musical voice. This rare gift he cultivated
in a high degree, his instruction being under the
preceptorship of the great and world-renowned
Professor Caradog, of South Wales. His abiii-
ity in this direction was quickly recognized in
this country, and his services were eagerly sought
as an instructor. His singing was generally
confined to sacred music. When Dr. Parry vis-
ited this country he was accompanied on his trip
through the state of Pennsylvania by Mr. Davies
in the capacity of a singer of recognized merit.
Mr. Davies has traveled extensively both in this
country and in Europe, and during his trips he
gathered a fund of useful information, which
later was prepared in lecture form and served
to enlighten and entertain those whose privileges
were less limited. His themes were principally

on scenery and geology. He is a prominent and
consistent member of the First Baptist Church
of Scranton, in which he holds the offices of
elder, deacon and trustee. For six years he was
the leader of the choir, but was forced to resign
on account of removal to Kingston. For twenty-
seven years he has taught a young men's Bible
class in connection with said church. He is an
honored member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. In 1859 ■^^''- Davies was united
in marriage to Miss Sarah Jenkins, who bore
him eleven children, seven of whom are living
at the present time ( 1905) , namely : John, a drug-
gist of Scranton ; Mary ; Philip, a practicing phy-
sician of Scranton ; Sadie, wife of J. Rees ; Henry
P., Jr., mentioned hereinafter; Lillie and How-
ard. The mother of these children died May
7, 1885, aged forty-six years. In August, 1885,
Mr. Davies married Miss Anna Evans, no issue,
and her death occurred in 1896. On October
20, 1904, Mr. Davies married Mrs. Elizabeth
Beddoe, who brought to him two children by
her former marriage, George and Lois Beddoe.
Henry P. Davies, Jr., was born in Larks-
ville, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, ]March 17,
1877. He was reared and educated in the city
of Scranton, and shortly after completing his
studies entered the drug store conducted by his
brother, John J. Davies, where he obtained some
g'eneral knowledge of the business. In 1899
he entered the University of Buffalo, from which
institution he was graduated in 1901, and since
then he has been actively engaged in that pro-
fession in the borough of Taylor, Pennsylvania,
opening a first-class drug store, thoroughly
equipped with a fine assortment of the best and
purest drugs, on December 15, 1904. He is an
active and intelligent young man, and his future
career should be crowned with a large measure
of success. Like his father, he is a consistent
member of the Welsh Baptist Church. He is
a member of the West Side Republican Club,
and a member of his college fraternity. Henry
P. Davies, Jr., married, June 6, 1903, Miss Sarah
Davis, daughter of John S. and Mary Davies.

COLONEL IRA TRIPP, deceased, whose
nobility of character and usefulness of his life
endeared him to the hearts of a multitude of
friends, was a representative of the oldest and
most honored families in the Lackawanna Val-
ley. Its forbears were blameless and upright
men and women, and the ancestral traits of
character have been preserved in pristine pur-
ity by 'their descendants.



The founder of the family, Isaac Tripp,
great-grandfather of Colonel Tripp, came from
Providence, Rhode Island, and settled at
Wilkes-Barre in 1769. He was a Quaker, and
his pacific disposition and uniform kmdliness
to the Indians made them his steadfast friends.
At one time, taken prisoner with other settlers,
his Indian captors gave him his freedom as
soon as they discovered his identity, taking
the precaution to paint him in order to ensure
his safetv should he encounter other Indians.
British soldiers asked of the Indians why Tripp
was not killed, and they always answered, "He
is a good man." At a later day, in seeking to
maintain the interests of the Wyoming colony
at Harford, he incurred the enmity of the Tor-
ies, who put a large price upon his life, and he
was shot and scalped by one of their Indian

Isaac, son of Isaac Tripp, the immigrant,
settled in the Lackawanna \'alley about 1774
and took up a tract of land of about a thousand
acres, upon a part of which the central portion
of the city of Scranton now stands. He reared
numerous children, all of whom reared families
— William, Amasa, Stephen, Isaac, Holden,
Polly, Patty, Betsey, Catherine, Susan and
Nancy. Of these, Isaac inherited from his
father and purchased from his brothers and
sisters lands until he owned six hundred acres,
now in the central part of Scranton. He mar-
ried Catherine La France, who was born in
Province township, and to them were born
nine children: Benjamin, Ira, Isaac, Holden,
Diana, Phebe, Maria, Catherine and Mahala.
Colonel Ira Tripp was the second child in the
family last named. He was born in Province
township, January 6, 1814, was reared on the
home farm, and acquired a limited education
in the' poorly equipped common schools of that
day. On reaching manhood he became a mer-
chant at his birthplace, and afterward was
similarly engaged in Scranton. He also man-
aged his farm, which he brought to a high
state of cultivation, and he devoted much of
his attention to breeding better grades of
horses and cattle that the country had before
known.. Early in life he had driven horses and
cattle to New York city, and marketed them
there. On his farm he kept a number of sup-
erior standard-bred horses, and in addition he
had a large herd of Alderney cattle, and main-
tained dairies on his homestead farm and on
the stock farm at Dalton. At all local atTairs
where he exhibited, his animals were awarded

first premiums. He maintained a fine speed-
track and driving park on his farm, and the
state fair was held thereon more than once.
He stood deservedly high among farmers and'
stock breeders who recognized in him a public
benefactor. In other ways he added to the
value of his property and made it an object
of beauty in an already beautiful landscape.
He remodeled the old family home which was
built by his father, and in which he himself
was born, and it is now the home of his widow. -
He opened a coal mine in the place, and oper-
ated it until the vein was exhausted. He took
an active part in advancing the interests of the
community, among other enterprises aiding in
the building of the old Peoples' Street Rail-
way, in which he was a stockholder. In poli-
tics he was a Whig, and on the dissolution of
that party he was one of the organizing mem-
bers of the new Republican party, voting for its
first presidential candidate, John C. Fremont,
in 1856, and ever afterward gave to it a cordial
and active support, but without any thought
of personal political ambition. A devoted
Unionist, in 1861, when the rebellion broke out,
he enlisted in the Eighth Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, and during his nine months'"
term of service acquitted himself most creditably
in the position of hospital steward. His stand-
ing as a man of ability and character is at-
tested by the fact that Governor Pollock com-
missioned him as aide-de-camp on his staff,
with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. Colonel'
Tripp died August 3, 1891, at the age of seven-
ty-seven years. Widely known throughout
the state, and widely recognized as a most
useful and exemplary citizen, the leading;
j journals of the day paid to his memory glowing-
tributes, holding him up as a pure type of a

Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 19 of 130)