Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 20 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 20 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


race now extinct, and which stood for the best
there is in manly character, untainted by the-
later-day commercialism which esteems a grace
or virtue or public service as valueless unless
it can be made a profit-earning commodity.

February 20, 1838, Colonel Tripp married
Miss Rosanna Shoemaker, who was, like him-
self, a descendant of an old Pennsylvania fam-
ily. Her grandfather, Isaac Shoemaker, was-
of German extraction, and settled in Wyom-
ing. His son, Jacob I., was born in Easton,
went to Wyoming with his parents, and be-
came the proprietor of Shoemaker's hotel, at
the foot of the motmtains, and where he passed
the remainder of his life. His wife was a
native of the state of New York. They were



92



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



the parents of the following children : Isaac,
who became a leading farmer in Luzerne
county ; William, a farmer, who died in Wy-
oming; Mrs. Mary A. Tuttle ; Margaret, who
became the wife of Isaac Tripp, and died in
Forty Fort ; Rosanna, who became the wife of
Col. Ira Tripp, and survived all her brothers and
•sisters ; and Sallie, who became the wife of Hol-
den Tripp, and died in Wvoming.

To Colonel and Mrs. Ira Tripp were born
four children. Isaac C. was a gallant soldier
for the Union during the rebellion, and rose
to the rank of corporal ; he was an active
Grand Army man and died in Scranton. Lean-
der S. became an engineer 'on the Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Railway, and died in
Scranton, leaving a widow and two children.
William died in infancy. The only daughter,
Gertrude, died at the age of twenty-six. She
was a woman of remarkable personality and
loveliness of character. She was liberally edu-
cated in Kingston Seminary and a convent in
Rochester, New York, and her mind had been
broadened by extensive travel. A friend said
of her in a local newspaper, after her death,
""She was a lady tiny in form, and beautiful as
the young fawn. Nature had given her a dis-
position of singular sweetness, and charm of
no ordinary character. She was a home girl
in her tastes and habits. Who that ever saw
Iier can forget the pleasant face and the ex-
pressive eyes with which she welcomed her
friends, and riveted them to her bv the strong-



est bonds of affecti



Ushered into the



school of womanhood early, she grew lovelier
in her maturity, and became the little sun of
the circle in which she moved, at home and
abroad. She tended the mignonette which
grew in her window, admired and arranged
the flowers in her elegant conservatory, then
turned from their beauties to her pillow, to
bid her friends and him who had breathed soft
and passionate words into her soul, and to
whom she was shortly to have been united in
holy wedlock, farewell — a last farewell." At
the funeral the Rev. A. A. Marple spoke touch-
inely of the lovely dead, and none who heard
him felt tliat the encomiums he pronounced
were words of adulation, but rather fell short
of the beautiful character of her whom he
eulogized. Among the tributes to her mem-
ory none was so pathetically and consolingh'
sweet as that expressed in verse by her poet
friend, "Stella." concluding with the stanza :



Sweet anchor thou has found, but I
Drift on a stream where false sands lie ;
And little matters what wild night
Shall sweep my shivering bark from sight ;
If through the gates of paradise.
Where thou dost draw me with thine eyes ;
Watch for me. darling, till I come,
.A.S wanderer to a waiting home.

The wife of Colonel Tripp survived him
several years, and died widely and sincerely
mourned. She was of broad education and all
womanly graces, besides possessed of excellent
btisiness qualifications which enabled her to
conduct her estate affairs with method and ac-
curacy. Her mental powers had been further
expanded by extensive travel. She usually
spent her winters in California, and she had
also been abroad. In childhood she attended
the Presbyterian Church, but during the
greater part of her mature life she was identi-
fied with St. Luke's (Protestant Episcopal)
Church. It was her bitter grief to survive all
who had been nearest to her — the husband of
her youth, and all of her children, and in her
declining days she found her consolation in her
grandchildren and great-grandchildren, ttpon
whom she lavished all the affection of her
ardently loving nature.

LEANDER SHOEMAKER TRIPP, de-
ceased, was a man of marked abilitv, and in his
character he reflected the excellent traits which
distinguished his estimable ancestry and par-
entage.

The second son of Colonel Ira and Rosanna
(Shoemaker) Tripp, he was born on the family
homestead on North Main avenue. Providence,
in 1841. His youth was passed in Scranton,
where he laid the fotindations of his education,
in the public schools and he completed his
studies in W^^oming .Seminary. From an earlv
age he evinced a liking for a railway life, and
he began his active career in the service of the
Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railway,
rising by luerit to the position of locomotive
engineer in which capacity he continued until
his voluntary retirement. He was accom-
plished in his profession, and enjoyed the full-
est confidence of the railway company, and the
esteem of all with whom he was in any man-
ner associated. A man of more than ordinary
intelligence, he was fullv in svmpathy with all
movements for the welfare of the community,
and gave to them a cordial support. He died



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



93



in 1876, at the age of thirty-five years, his early
demise being undoubtedly hastened by reason
of the arduous duties imposed by his calling,
and the mental strain incident to his sense of
the responsibilities imposed upon him.

j\lr. Tripp married, in April, 1865, in Scran-
ton, Miss Jennie E. Pearce, the third of the six
children of William and Martha (Clathworthy)
Pearce. She is a lady of refinement and ex-
cellent attainments. She was born in Hones-
dale, Wayne county, and was educated in Provi-
dence, to which place her parents removed
in her earlv youth, and she taught school there
for a vear prior to her marriage. She sur-
vived her husband, and gave careful training
to her two childrren. She is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and a generous
contributor to the wants of the poor and dis-
tressed.

Walter Tripp, eldest child of Mr. and Mrs.
Leander S. Tripp, was a man of broad educa-
tion, and by natural powers and training was
well qualified for an active and brilliant career,
which was unfortunately closed to him owing
to his physicial frailty. He was born February
6, 1865, in Scranton, where he acquired his
preliminary education. He pursued advanced
branches in military schools, which he at-
tended in the hope that the advantages of mili-
tary drill and other outdoor pursuits would
contribute to his health and physical develop-
ment. He subsequenth' entered the Polytech-
nic Institution in Troy, New York, where he
was known as a conscientious and ambitious
student. After completing his studies he went
to San Diego, California, but owing to im-
paired health was not permitted to enter upon
business. His death occurred there June 17,
1901. With him at the time were his widow
and her father, Mr. \'\^illiams, who brought the
remains of their loved one to his boyhood
home, where they were tenderly laid away in
Forest Hill Cemetery. The last services were
conducted by the Rev. Mr. Haughton, curate
of St. Luke's (Protestant Episcopal) Church
of Scranton. The sad event was deeply de-
plored by a large circle of warmly attached
friends, and it was remarked with sad interest
that the lamented deceased had passed awav at
very nearly the same age as did his father — the
latter being thirty-five and the former thirtv-six
years old. Walter Tripp married Miss Mar-
garet Williams, of Omaha, Nebraska, and they
were the parents of one child, Rozene.

Kathrvn G., second child of Mr. and Mrs.



Leander S. Tripp, was born April 21, 1869.
She became the wife of John F. Broadbent,
a highly respected citizen of Scranton, engaged
in an insurance business. Of this marriage
were born three children — Kathryn R., Ira,
Tripp and John Franklin Broadbent, Jr.

JOHN GEORGE FRUEHAN, D. D. S..
The dental profession in its wonderfully ad-
vanced modern form represents both a science
and a mechanic art, and he who would attain
to success in its practice must have a thorough
preliminary training and a natural predilection
for both departments of its work. Among the
representative members of the profession in the
city of Scranton, Lackawanna county, is found
Dr. Fruehan, who is a native of this city and
who has here passed the entire period of his life
thus far, being held in unqualified esteem in busi-
ness, professional and social circles.

Dr. Fruehan was born in Scranton, December
25, 1878, and is a son of George, Jr., and Louise
(Brail) Fruehan, the former of whom was born
in Germany, while the latter was born in Pitts-
ton, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. The father-
of Dr. Fruehan was reared to maturity in his
fatherland, whence he came to America when a
young man, in company with his parents, George-
and Elizabeth Fruehan, and his brothers Henry
and Conrad, the family arriving in the new world
in the year 1859. The grandparents of Dr.
Fruehan continued to reside in Scranton during
the remainder of their lives, the grandfather's
death occurring in 1897, at the patriarchal age of
eighty-six years. For a time after his arrival in
Scranton, whither he came shortly after coming
to .America, George Fruehan, Jr., worked as a
mill hand and eventually engaged in the general
merchandise business, with which he continued
to be identified for a period of nearly a quarter
of a century, with distinctive success, becoming
one of the representative business men and in-
fluential citizens of his home city. He made a
special study of music, in which line he devel-
oped his fine talents, while he was for a number
of years a successful teacher of music. His
political faith 'was that of the Republican party,
in religion he was a member of the Presbyterian
Church, while fraternally he was affiliated with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He died
in 1890, honored by all who knew him and known
as one of Scranton's loyal citizens, and his widow
still resides in the attractive family home in this
city. Of the eight children five are living, name-
Iv : Elizabeth, Emma, lohn G., Herman and Eva. _



-94



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Dr. Fruehan secured his early educational
training in the public schools of Scranton, com-
pleting a course in the high school, while he has
ever since continued his educational work by that
careful self-application and that experience which
are the best of masters and tutors. In early life
he entered a local drug establishment, where he
made a special study of pharmacy, becoming
skilled in the line and continuing to be employed
in the connection for a period of seven years. In
1898 he matriculated in the Philadelphia College

■ of Dentistry, in the city of Philadelphia, where
he completed a thorough technical course and
was graduated as a member of the class of 1901.
He forthwith took up the active practice of his
jjrofession in his native city, where he has suc-
ceeded in building up a profitable and represen-
tative business, his finely equipped offices being
located at No. 632 Cedar avenue. In politics Dr.
Fruehan gives his allegiance to the Independent
party, and in a fraternal way is an appreciative
affiliate of the Masonic order, being identified
with Lodge No. 345, Ancient Free and Accepted
Masons ; Keystone Consistory, Ancient Accepted
Scottish Rite, at Scranton ; and Irem Temple,
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mys-

"tic Shrine, at Wilkes-Barre. He is also identi-
fied with the Patriotic Order Sons of America,
and the Patriotic Order of America. He is a
Presbyterian in his church connections.

Dr. Fruehan married, August 3, 1904, Helen
C. Scheuer, daughter of George and Mary
Scheuer, well known residents of Scranton, in
which city Mrs. Fruehan was born and reared.

HON. ELI EMORY HENDRICK. One of
the most prominent and public spirited men in
Carbondale, Pennsylvania, and one who has con-
tributed largely toward the growth and material
development of the city is Eli Emory Hen-
drick.

Mr. Hendrick was born in Plymouth, Wayne
county, Michigan, in 1832. His ancestors were
of Dutch extraction, and settled in Bucks or
Berks county, Pennsylvania, at an early day,
where his father, Peter Hendrick, was born in
1802. While Peter was still a child in arms, the
family moved to Ohio, the journey being made on
horseback, and settled in the "Western Reserve."
On attaining his majority Peter Hendrick left
the home of his father to make his own wav in
the world. Joining a drover who was going to
Philadelphia with stock, he made his way east
and subsequently by some means through New
York state and Canada to Michigan, where he



secured a tract of land in Wayne county, then a
wilderness. By dint of energy and perseverance
he succeeded in clearing and cultivatmg the land,
which later became productive and valuable. He
went later to a farm near Ypsilanti, Michigan,
where he died in the year 1890. Peter Hendrick
was twice married, and was the father of four
children : Edmund, EHza J., Eli E., by his first
wife, and by his second wife, Franklin, who was'
drowned in 1864 in the Allegheny river in Frank-
lin, Pennsylvania.

At the age of eleven years, after obtaining a
limited education in the common schools of his
birthplace, Eli E. Hendrick, the subject of this
sketch, was hired out to a farmer to carry the
United States mail on horseback. He was to
carry the mail each alternate half day, and attend
school the other half day, the remuneration being
three dollars per month, but, boylike, he preferred
to work on the farm in preference to going to
school. He carried the mail to Ann Arbor and
Wayne, and being a general favorite with the
people along the route he was enabled to earn
considerable money by performing errands and
carrying messages. At the age of fourteen he
secured a clerkship in a store in Plymouth, and
when not otherwise engaged he vvould copy the
writing on the bills of New York merchants, and
in this way he became an expert penman. About
this time he saw the necessity of acquiring an
education, and consequently attended district
school, supplementing the knowledge thus ob-
tained by a course for one winter at the seminary,
where he studied chemistry, philosophy, algebra
and higher arithmetic, and other branches. He
then accepted a position as clerk with a Mr. May,
a merchant of Upper Plymouth, at a salary of ten
dollars per month, and during the period he re-
mained with him Mr. May was so impressed with
his blameless conduct and executive ability that
he secured his election as secretary of the Sunday
school.

When seventeen years of age, having a great
taste for mechanical work, he entered the employ
of his brother to learn the trade of wood turner.
Later he entered into partnership with his
brother, and they established a shop for general
wood turning and the manufacture of wooden
hay rakes and other farming im]5lements. The
shop was destroyed by fire in 1853, but was soon
rebuilt and enlarged to include a steam sawmill
and the manufacture of barrel staves and barrels,
and they gave employment to a large force of
men. The panic of 1857 was very disastrous to
their business, and shortly afterward they dis-




r.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



95



posed of it to JNIr. ]\Iay, the former employer of
the vounger brother. i\lr. Hendrick then went to
the western wilds of Michigan and engaged in
the manufacture of flour barrel staves on a large
scale for the western market. The firm with
which he was connected soon failed, and dispos-
ing of his stock of staves to a Niles firm he ac-
cepted a position with them as manager of a
large cooperage established at Davenport, Iowa.
This venture not proving satisfactory, he re-
turned east and secured an agency for the sale of
a new invention, a governor for steam engines,
and in this enterprise he achieved a large degree
of success. While engaged in this line of business
]\Ir. Hendrick made the acquaintance of a man
who had originated a new kind of oil, manufact-
ured out of one half oil and the other half water.
Being assured of its merits, he purchased the
receipt for ten dollars and spent the winter of
1861-62 in experimenting with oil. He finally
discovered that the receipt was practically useless,
but in his tests he discovered a formula which he
thought would prove more satisfactory. He then
went to Toronto, Canada, and experimented with
it on machinery of a large rolling mill, and find-
ing that it worked satisfactorily, the owners of
the mill paid him fifty dollars for his receipt, with
permission to manufacture for their own use.

Chi his return to Scranton, Pennsylvania, he
introduced this oil in that locality, making ar-
rangements with John B. Smith, superintendent
of the Pennsylvania Coal Company's gravity
road, to give it a test on the cars of the company.
After a thorough test which extended over a
period of several months, he succeeded in prov-
ing to them that the use of his oil would be a
saving to them of fifty per cent on lubrication,
whereupon they decided to use the oil, paying him
for the same five hundred dollars. This encour-
aged Mr. Hendrick to make further experiments
in the oil business which were uniformly suc-
cessful. As a result of these experiments, Mr.
"Hendrick soon obtained a patent upon another
lubricant, called Galena oil, which is still in use.
Disposing of this patent and factory at a profit.
he soon followed this up in 1876 with another
improved oil, building a factorv at Franklin,
Pennsylvania, for its manufacture. Selling this
out to the Standard Oil Company, he located in
Carbondale, Pennsylvania, and erected an oil re-
finery with a capacity of about eight hundred
"barrels crude oil per day. This in turn was sold
to the Standard Oil Company, and soon thereaf-
ter he was employed by said company to super-
intend the erection of their refineries near New



York City. This position he held for about two
years, and then returned finally to Carbondale and
devoted himself to the business in which he is
still actively engaged.

In 1879 Mr. Hendrick established a small ma-
chine shop in Carbondale, which has steadily
grown and developed under his skillful manage-
ment into the present extensive and widely known
Hendrick Manufacturing Company. In the de-
velopment of the business of this company Mr.
Hendrick's inventive genius and marked ability
along mechanical lines have had full sway and
are seen at their best. No mechanical problem is
too difficult for him to undertake, and he spares
neither time nor money until he has accomplished
everything he sets out to do along these lines, his
tenacity of purpose and perseverance being
marked characteristics. With the exception
of the coal industry and the Delaware and Hud-
son Company, the Hendrick Manufacturing
Company is the largest employer of labor in the
Lackawanna Valley north of Scranton, and has
no doubt been a considerable factor in building
up Carbondale to its present proportions. Aside
from his own works, Mr. Hendrick is interested
in nearly all of the enterprises in the city, as well
as in many out of it. He is connected with the
Carbondale jNIachine Company, as large stock-
holder and director, is president of the Clover
Leaf iManufacturing Company, a stockholder in
the Klots Throwing Company, the Empire Silk
Company, the Carbondale ]\Iilling Company, the
Sperl Heater Company, and the Anthracite Land
and Improvement Company. He assisted in or-
ganizing the [Miners and Mechanics' Savings
Bank, of which he has been vice-president since
its establishment. He aided in the promotion of
the Los Angeles Ice and Cold Storage Company,
of Los Angeles, California, of which he is pres-
ident and in which he has a large amount of
money invested.

The esteem in which he is held by the citizens
of Carbondale is evidenced by the fact that in
1893 he was elected to the responsible position
of mayor. During his term of office manv im-
provements were made in the paving of streets,
and the beautifying of the citv by the erection of
bridges and other substantial improvements. Mr.
Hendrick occupies one of the most commodious
and comfortable residences in Carbondale. It
stands almost in the heart of the city, surrounded
by about ten acres of ground, and together with
its highly cultivated gardens and its fine green-
houses, forms one of the most attractive homes
in this part of the state.



96



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



At Plymouth, Michigan, in 1853, Mr. Hen-
drick married Miss CaroUne P. Hackett, who
died in 1895, leaving two daughters — Mary, now
the wife of A. P. Trautwein, president of the
Carbondale Machine Company ; and Lillian, now
the wife of William T. Colvi'lle, treasurer of the
Hendrick Manufacturing Company.

Mr. Hendrick's benevolences, both public and
private, are many. He is generous to a fault with
his money. Many a young man and \-oung
woman owes to him, in whole or in part, the op-
portunity to get an education, and together with
numerous others to whom he has extended an
ever ready helping hand, will long bear him in
grateful memory.

WILLIAM PEARCE. Prominent among;
those who were identified with the .Scranton
region at the beginning of its industrial de-
velopment was William Pearce, who was not
only a man of remarkable industry and endur-
ance, but .was also a strong personality in the
life of the community. His moral fibre finds
exemplification in the splendid patriotism
which moved him, although then well along
in years, to take up arms for his country dur-
ing the great rebellion. How deeply his own
traits of character were implanted in his chil-
dren is attested in the fact that all his sons,
three in number, also entered the army, and
all made excellent records as courageous and
faithful soldiers.

The Pearce family originated in England,
and has been distinguished by fine soldierly
qualities throughout all its recorded genera-
tions. The grandfather of William Pearce was
a colonel in the British army, stationed in
Cornwall, where he reared his famil3^ Will-
iam Pearce, the immediate subject of this nar-
rative, had for brothers-in-law (brothers of his
wife) two who bore commissions as lieutenants
in the British army during the Crimean war;
one was killed in the storming of Sebastapol ;
and the other wounded in the same engage-
ment, died from his injuries on the Island of
Malta, while on his way home.

William Pearce was born in Liskeard,
Cornwall, January 21, 1818, son of a farmer
and butcher. April 6, 1841, he married
Martha Clathworthy, daughter of a large ship-
builder at Davenport, England, where she was
born. Shortly after their marriage they came
to the United States, settling in Bethany-j
Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where their
first child was born. Mr. Pearce cultivated



a farm for a period of twelve years, and in
1852 removed to Scranton, where he con-
ducted a meat market for four years. In 1856
he was employed to assist in opening up the
first coal slope, in the hollow at the Notch, and
that came to be known as ^le Luzerne mines.
Later he was similarly employed in the be-
ginning of the Von Storch shaft, and yet later
(in 1857) the slope. On the breaking out of
the rebellion he enlisted in the Fiftieth Regi-
ment New York "V'olunteers, with v.diich he
performed faithful and meritorious service un-
til the end of the war. His regiment was an
engineer body, whose numbers were selected
with special reference to their ability along
mechanical lines. Upon it fell the arduous
duty of constructing field entrenchments, and
frequently under fire ; erecting approaches
against permanent fortifications, together with
sapping and mining in order to blow up the
enemy's works. After returning to civil life
Mr. Pearce was employed by the Delaware &
Hudson Coal Company in the capacity of gen-
eral coal inspector, and he gave faithful per-
formance to his duties for a period of twenty-
seven years, ending with his voluntary retire-
ment in 1892. He was now seventy-four years
old, and notwithstanding his more than a half
century of arduous and unremitting labors,
preserved a robust physique, and cheery dis-
position, and passed his later days in happy



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 20 of 130)