Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 21 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 21 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


companionship with a large circle of relations
and chosen friends who held him in high es-
teem. He and his wife celebrated their six-
tieth wedding anniversary on April 6, 1901,
and the occasion was one of great joyfulness,
although it was evident that the venerable
husband could not long be spared to his loved
ones. His death occurred October 3, igoi,
in his eighty-fifth year, and was due to the
infirmities of age wdiich culminated in a para-
lytic stroke. It is pathetic, to note that he
was an ardent admirer of President Mc Kin-
ley. He was deeply affected when that hon-
ored man fell a victim to the assassin, and
while he was on his sick bed Mr. Pearce made
frequent reference to that awful event. The
funeral of Mr. Pearce was attended by a host
of people who held him in affectionate regard,
and the hearse used for Mr. McKinley also
carried Mr. Pearce to his last resting place,
a most strange coincidence. The services weree
conducted by the pastor of the Providence
Presbyterian Church, of which the deceased
was a most exemplarv member. In all his life



s^^l*^-



%

*







^xj W.^ J^i^^ i>fe^





THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



97



and attributes he was an admirable man, and
he left to his descendants the priceless legacy
of an honored name. He was survived by his
widow and all their children, and a brother,
John Pearce, who died in 1903 ; and four
sisters — Mrs. Charles Williams, and Miss
Jane Pearce, of Stockton, California ; Mrs.
Edward Illman, of Philadelphia, Pennsylva-
nia ; and ]\Irs. William Battin, who lives in
England.

Mrs. Pearce made her home during the last
two years of her life with her granddaughter,
Mrs. John E. Broadbent, where her death oc-
curred. The funeral was conducted by the
Rev. Dr. Rogers Israel, of St. Luke's ( Prot-
estant Episcopal) Church, assisted by the Rev.
Dr. G. E. Guild, of the Providence Pres-
byterian Church. The pallbearers were the
sons and sons-in-law of the deceased. Mrs.
Pearce was a woman of an unusually sweet
and gentle nature, and enjoyed the afifection
and esteem of all who knew her. She was
survived by the following children :

William H., who served during the Civil
war with Company B, One Hundred and
Thirty-sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers,
and who is a carpenter and builder in Milford,
New York.

Captain Edwin W., of whom further mention
is made in another narrative.

Jennie L., widow of Leander S. Tripp.

Richard C, who served with the Union
army as a member of the railway construction
corps, and is now an engineer on the Lehigh
Valley Railroad, and resides in Sayre, Penn-
sylvania.

Minnie E., who is the wife of E. H. White,
of New York city.

Emma A., wife of Jacob K. Smith, a promi-
nent business man of Scranton.



DAVID CHASE HARRINGTON, a law-
yer of commanding ability, author of various
legal treatises, and now in charge of the legal
department of the International Textbook
Company, was born in Lexington (now Jew-
ett), Greene county, New York, December 8,
1834.

His father, James Harrington, born Oc-
tober 17, 1810, in Herkimer county. New York,
son of James Harrington, who was a soldier in
the war of 1812, and died from army fever
contracted while in the service, was a carpen-



ter and builder, residing in Lexington, now
Jewett, New York, in early life, whence he
removed in June, 1849, to Providence, Penn-
sylvania. There he was engaged in a furni-
ture and undertaking business until 1851, when
he purchased a part of the present site of the
Coal Exchange Building on Wyoming avenue
in Scranton, Pa., and erected a store and dwell-
ing which was the third house built in the city
of Scranton, after the Lackawanna Iron and
Coal Company, owners of the land, laid it out
in lots and sold them to others than its own
employees. He completed his building and occu-
pied it January 6, 1852. In 1865 he retired from
business, returned to Jewett, N. Y., to live and
died February 5, 1905. He was a member of
the first borough council in the borough of
Scranton after its organization, and was an
elder in the First Presbyterian Church. He
married Emeline Harriet Chase, daughter of
David Chase. She was descended from one
of the oldest New England families. Her
ancestor, Thomas Chase, came from England
in 1629, to Massachusetts, located in the Rhode
Island colony, and later removed to Holmes
Hole, Martha's Vineyard Island. From him
the line of descent is through his son Isaac,
his son Joseph, his son Abel, to his son Zeph-
aniah. Zephaniah Chase served as a private
in Captain Nathan Smith's seacoast company
at Martha's Vineyard and in August, 1786,
removed to Lexington ( now Jewett ) . New
York. His son David, born in Martha's
Vineyard, March 1, 1786, came to Lexing-
ton, with his father, where, October 13,
1808, he married Abigail, daughter of Zadock
Pratt. David Chase died August 27, 1874, and
Abigail, his wife, born August 3, 1786, died Au-
gust 20, 1849. Zadock Pratt, father of Abi-
gail, was a young man when the Revo-
lutionary war broke out, joined the patriot
forces at Boston, and aided in throwing
up the works on Dorchester Heights. He
served in the main body of the army on Long
Island, under Lord Sterling, and was taken
prisoner in the unfortunate battle of August
27, 1776. With others he was confined in the
Middle Dutch Church (now the post-office) in
New York, and also in the old Sugar House,
and to the last he retained a vivid recollection
of the inhumanities visited upon the captives
by the notorious Cunningham, the British pro-
vost marshal. The surrender of Fort Wash-
ington necessitated the removal of the prison-



2-7



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



ers from New York, and Pratt with one hun-
dred and thirty others was transferred to the
Whitby prison ship.

"Doomed to famine, shackles and despair,
Condemned to breate a foul, infected air.
In sickly hulks, devoted while they lay.
Successive funerals gloomed each dismal day."

To crown his misery the smallpox broke
out, (designedly introduced it was said) and
of the above number only eleven survived.
Returning- to the army after his release he
participated in the storming of Stony Point
bv General "Mad Anthony" Wayne, in 1779.
On November i, 1781, at Sherman, Connecti-
cut, while on furlough, he married Hannah,
daughter of Benjamin Pickett. She was born
September 3, 1755. Pie returned to the army
and served in the vicinity of the Highlands
until 1783, when he was honorably discharged.
Shortly afterwards he removed to Stephen-
town, New York, subsequently removed to
Middleburg, and finally to Windham (now
Jewett), New York, where he lived until his
death, July 27, 1828, aged seventy-three years.
His son Zadock was a member of congress
from Prattsville, New York. Hon. Emory
A. Chase, member of the New York Court of
Appeals, is a descendant of Zephaniah Chase.

James and Emeline Harriet Harrington
were the parents of ten children, of whom
seven came to maturity :

1. David Chase, to be further referred to.

2. Sayres B., who was engaged in the fur-
niture business in Scranton until he went south.

3. Sarah P., married Zina L. Newell, and
died in 1901.

4. Martha, widow of Hiram Gove.

5. Emerson G.

6. Abigail P.. Wife of Charles B. Jones,
resides in Washington, District of Columbia.

7. Arthur N., who resides in lewett. New
York.

David Chase Harrington learned to read
before he was two and one-half years old, and
at the age of ten years had mastered all that
the public schools of his day and neighborhood
had to ofifer. He subsequently pursued ad-
vanced stvidies in a private school at Jewett,
conducted by a Mr. Benedict, under whom he
acquired his first knowledge of Latin. When
nearly thirteen years old his father removed
to Bushnellville, New York, where, about one
year later, he was apprenticed to the varnish-



ing and finishing trade, which he followed
until he became of age. He became skillful
with the pencil and brush in ornamenting fur-
niture according to the style in fashion at the
time, and all the landscape oil paintings in his
home were painted by himself. He accom-
panied his father to Providence, Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, arriving there Jvme 22,
1849, and there remained until January 6,
1852, when they removed to Scranton. Father
and son were associated in business from this
time, and in April, 1856, became partners in
the furniture, cabinet making and undertaking
business. The son during this experience was
brought in contact with Germans and gained
an excellent conversational knowledge of their
language — an acquisition which was of great
advantage to him not only at that time but '
in later years. He united with the Presby-
terian Church when fourteen years old, and
was active in Sunday school work, organizing
two mission schools, one in Scranton, and one
in Wilkes-Barre, of which he was superinten-
dent. Prior to his marriage he was a mem-
ber of the choir in the Presbyterian Church,
in Scranton, having learned to read music be-
fore he was nine years old. He also played the
cornet in the Scranton Brass Band, of which
Samuel G. Barker was leader.

The Young Men's Literary and Debating
Club of Scranton was permanently organized by
a number of enterprising young gentlemen on
the 23rd day of October, 1857. Mr. Harrington
suggested its formation, was active in interesting
others to unite with him, and was elected as its
first president.

During the winters of 1858 and 1859, courses
of interesting public lectures were given under
the auspices of the club. Some of the most prom-
inent lecturers being engaged, among them were
Horace Mann, Horace Greeley, J. G. Holland,
George William Curtis, Park Benjamin, Benja-
min P. Shillaber (Mrs. Partington), Bayard
Taylor, William C. Prime, Esq., Dr. Isaac I.
Hayes and others.

In Wilkes-Barre Mr. Harrington was also in-
strumental in getting up a course of lectures, and
interesting lectures were delivered by such men
as Samuel M. Clements (Mark Twain), Wen-
dell Phillips, Paul B. Du Chaillu and others.

Mr. Harrington was always studiously in-
clined and gained the warm favor of the Rev.
Thomas P. Hunt, a friend of the family, who
offered him a free scholarship in Lafayette
College. It was a great temptation to the



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



99



jyoiing man, and his father, to whom his ser-
vices were of great value, consented to his
-acceptance of the generous offer. Mr. Har-
rington, however, declined out of considera-
tion for his father. After dissolving the part-
nership with his father, he took up the study
•of law under the private tutorship of George
J). Haughawout, Esq., in 1858. During the first
year of his studies in the winter of (858, he
taught public school in Dunmore, Pennsyl-
vania. On May 7. i860, he was admitted to prac-
tice in the court of Common Pleas of Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania. November i, i860, he
■entered into copartnership with Hon. W. G.
Ward, which was dissolved about the last of
March, 1862, and on April i, 1862, he re-
moved to Wilkes-Barre, and August 22 follow-
ing he was admitted to the Court of Common
Pleas of Northampton county, Pennsylvania.
In 1863 he laid aside his professional duties
to respond to the call of Governor Andrew G.
'Curtin for emergencv men to repel the in-
vasion of Pennsylvania by the Rebel army
under General Robert E. Lee. He enlisted as
;a private in Company K, Thirtieth Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel William N.
Monies commanding, his company being the
first mustered in under that call. His regi-
ment was stationed at Camp Curtin, near Har-
risbnrg, (which was threatened by the enemy)
at the time of the battle of Gettysburg. With
his command he was honorably discharged
July 26, 1863. Returning to his profession,
Mr. Harrington extended his practice into all
the courts in his vicinity as is evidenced by
Tiis admission to the following : Supreme
Gourt of the state, June 20, 1866: Mayor's
'Court of Scranton, October i, 1866; L'nited
States Circuit and District Courts, Western Dis-
trict of Pennsylvania, August 5, 1867; Mayor's
Court of Carbondale, August 16, 1867 ; Court
•of Common Pleas, Dauphin County, August
24, 1868 ; Court of Common Pleas of Wyoming
'County, April 19, 1869 ; District Court of Phila-
delphia, December 20, 1870; Court of Com-
mon Pleas, Philadelphia, December 24, 1870 ;
United States District and Circuit Courts, East-
-ern District Pennsylvania, February 18, 1871 :
Court of Common Pleas, Bucks County, April
14, 1874; Supreme Court of the United States,
Washington, District of Columbia, February
2, 1876; Court of Common Pleas, Schuylkill
County, January 23, 1882 : Court of Common
Pleas, Lackawanna County, August 15, 1898;
United States Circuit Court of Appeals, Rich-



mond, Virginia, December 2, 1904. He has
tried and assisted in the trial of many cases in
other courts in different states, where he was
admitted by courtesy, for the particular case
in which he appeared.

In the autumn of 1863 he was invited by
Caleb E. Wright, Esq., one of the oldest, and "a
leading attorney in Wilkes-Barre, to become his
partner, and he entered into partnership with him
on equal terms. This was of advantage to both,
and their business increased everv year during
its continuance. The health of Mrs. Harrington
having become afifected from malaria, her physi-
cian advised removal from the valley as her only
safety. As a result the partnership of Wright
& Harrington was dissolved, in December, 1870,
and within one week Mr. Harrington and his
family removed to Philadelphia.

Mr. Harrington did not sever his connection
with the legal business of the firm, and for a year
or more returned every term of court to assist
in the trial of the cases pending at the time of his
removal. On December 25, 1872, two years
after Mr. Harrington's removal to Philadelphia,
the members of the Luzerne County Bar pre-
sented him with a handsome gold watch, appro-
priately inscribed, as a testimonial of their con-
tinued regard and remembrance, thereby proving
that the adage "out of sight is out of mind"
does not always hold true. Mr. Harring-
ton conducted an extensive practice there
for over thirty-one years. Hon. F. Car-
roll Brewster, during his term as attorney
general of the state of Pennsylvania, was
obliged to spend his winters in Harrisburg. Sum-
mers he traveled in Europe. Having an exten-
sive private practice in Philadelphia and four
assistants in his office he made arrangements
with Mr. Harrington in May, 1872, on the basis
of a salary and dividing fees in some cases, to
take charge of his office and practice. He gave
Mr. Harrington a private office in his suite of
offices where he could attend to his personal prac-
tice and have his own assistant. This arrange-
ment lasted nearly three years, until by reason
of the expiration of his term as attorney-general
he was able to, resume his Philadelphia practice.
As this was soon after the removal of Air. Har-
rington to Philadelphia, it proved to be of advan-
tage to him, in that it brought him into connection
with all the leading members of the Philadelphia
bar, and extending his acquaintance and private
practice. In 1887-88 he made two trips to the
City of Mexico on professional business, and
while there learned to speak the Spanish Ian-



lOO



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



guage. Since then he has lectured on his ex-
periences and what he saw and learned on his
trips. In 1867 Mr. Harrington compiled, col-
lated, arranged and published "'The Rules of the
Luzerne County Court," an exhaustive volume
of eightv-one pages octavo. He has also written
many briefs which have gone into print, and var-
ious of them have been widely circulated. Among
the more important of his treatises is one on
"Commerce," and "What is Doing Business,
under the Statutes of the States Relating to For-
eign Corporations," and another of very great
import on "The Education of Minors." Part of
the time during his residence in Wilkes-Barre he
reported court proceedings, and local items of
news for two newspapers published, one in
Scranton and one in W'ilkes-Barre.

In January, 1898, Mr. Harrington received a
retainer from the Colliery Engineer Company,
now the International Texxtbook Company, pro-
prietor of the International Correspondence
Schools, and has been connected with that great
educational institution from that time to the pres-
ent. In March, 1902, he removed from Philadel-
phia to Scranton and has had in charge the legal
department of the corporation, a post for which
he is eminently well fitted. His duties take him
not only to all parts of the country, but to Can-
ada. Although seventy-one years of age, his
vigor would stand for one ten years his junior.
He walks with a step as elastic as a score of years
ago, and he is as remarkable for his strong men-
tality and great energy as for his physical powers.
He is a member of Colonel Fred. Taylor Post,
Grand Army of the Republic, Philadelphia ; mem-
ber of the Wyoming Geological and Historical
Society ; member of the Luzerne County Bar
Association ; Philadelphia Law Library Associa-
tion ; and also of the Lackawanna County Bar
Association.

Mr. Harrington married, September 11, 1856,
Ann Jannette Kemmerrer, daughter of David
Kemmerrer, of Scranton. Mrs. Harrington died
November 20, 1904, having borne to her husband
ten children, of whom nine came to maturity,
seven being now living :

1. Harriet E., wife of Madison F. Larkin,
sketch of whom appears in this work.

2. Carrie H., married C. W. Reichard.

3. Lillian J., deceased wife of William L.
Connell, sketch of whom appears in this work.

4. Blandina Jayne, wife of T. J. Foster, sketch
of whom appears in this work.

5. Walter E.. a graduate of the University
of Pennsylvania, who since 1887 has been prin-



cipally engaged in electric railway- work. In
August, 1905, he resigned as vice-president and
general manager of the New York and Philadel-
phia Company to become associated with J. G..
White & Company, of New York, as manager,,
in which capacity he will supervise the construc-
tion of all the railway, electric lighting, gas and
other properties which the companv may con-
tract to build. His wide capabilities are attested
by the numerous responsible positions he has oc-
cupied. He has been electrical engineer for the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company, in charge of the-
electric railway at Atlantic City, New Jersey ;.
general superintendent of the Wheeling Traction
Company of West Virginia ; supervising elec-
tric railway engineer for the General Electric
Company in the northwestern Pennsylvania coal
regions ; and for some years general manager and
vice-president of the Camden and Suburban Rail-
way Company, Camden, New Jersey. After the
latter road was absorbed by the Public Service
Corporation, he was placed in charge of all the
properties of the latter south of Trenton, New
Jersey.

6. Curtis J., born 1870, died September 10,,
1904. He was an electrical engineer of promi-
nence. He left one son, since adopted by hia
uncle, Mr. Larkin.

7. Frederick A., an electrician.

8. Dora, married C. Paul Hagenlocher, su-
pervisor of the Philadelphia offices of the In-
ternational Textbook Company. They reside irk
Bala, jMontgomery county, Pennsylvania.

9. Ethelj second wife of W. L. Connelly
whose first wife was her sister, Lillian.

10. Mabel, born January 16, 1879, died July
5, 1879.

CHARLES W. PEARCE is a well known
manufacturer and highly esteemed citizen of
Scranton, Lackawanna county, where he has been
engaged in business since 1888, while he has
liiade this city his home ever since his infancy
and where he has attained to distinctive success
through his own well directed endeavors. His
shop is situated on Green Ridge street, near Aly-
lert street, and in his well equipped establishment
he makes a specialty of building and repairing
machinery of all kinds. His shop is fitted up
with the most modern lathes, planers and other
accessories, representing a large capitalistic out-
lay, while power is furnished by a fine twenty
horse power engine and thirty horse power boiler.
Mr. Pearce is a j-jractical machinist, and he has
gained to his establishment a very high reputa-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



lOI



Ttion for the superior order of the work turned
out, none but skilled artisans being employed,
while the facilities throughout are the best. The
result is that he has built up a prosperous busi-
ness, having the patronage of many of the lead-
ing concerns and individuals in this locality.

j\lr. Pearce was born in Wayne county, Penn-
sylvania, Octpber i, 1854, and in the following
year his parents removed to Scranton, where he
has ever since maintained his residence. He is
a son of John and Alinerva (Alvord) Pearce,
the former of whom was born in England and the
latter in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where
their marriage was solemnized. John Pearce was
born in Cornwall, England, February 10, 1826,
•and was there reared to maturity, while he was
associated with the great mining industry in that
section from his boyhood days until 1845, when
lie immigrated to America and took up his abode
in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where he re-
sided until 1855, when he came to the Lacka-
wanna Valley, as before noted, and passed the
residue of his long and useful life in Scranton.
where he died June 21. 1903, at the age of seven-
ty-seven years. He was engineer at the Von
Sorch mine for the long period of forty-three
years, and was one of the valued and trusted em-
ployes of the Delaware & Hudson Company,
while his integrity and reliability in all the re-
lations of life retained to him the unqualified re-
spect and confidence of all who knew him. His
widow still resides in Scranton, where she has
so long made her home and where she has a wide
circle of devoted friends. She is a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, as was also her
husband, and the latter was a Republican in poli-
tics. They became the parents of four children,
of whom three are living, namely : George H.,
an engineer, residing in Scranton ; Adeline, re-
sides in Scranton; and Charles W.. of whom
later.

Charles W. Pearce was reared to maturity in
Scranton, in whose public schools he secured his
early educational training, while he learned the
machinist's trade in the shops of the Delaware &
Hudson Company at Scranton, serving a thor-
ough apprenticeship and becoming one of the
most skilled and versatile workmen in his chosen
line. He continued in the employ of this com-
pany until 1888. when he engaged in business
upon his own responsibility, laying the foundation
of his present successful enterprise and begin-
ning operations on a modest scale. He has
shown much discrimination in his methods and
-has made his business forge to the front throiigh



its own forces, so that it is substantial in character
and yields satisfactory returns. Mr. Pearce is a
loyal and public-spirited citizen, is known as a
reliable and progressive business man and is held
in unequivocal confidence and regard by all who
know him. He is a Republican in his political
proclivities, and in a fraternal way is an appre-
ciative and popular member of Hiram Lodge, No.
261, Ancient, Free and Accepted Alasons. He
remains a bachelor and maintains his home with
his venerable and loved mother.

JAMES HENRY FISHER. Anthony
Fisher, who lived in the parish of Syleham,
county of Suffolk, England, on the south bank
of the Waveney river, which separates Suifolk
from Norfolk, on a freehold estate called "Wig-
note," had a son

Anthony Fisher, 2d, who came to New Eng-
land in the ship "Rose" in 1637 and settled at
Dedham, Massachusetts. He was one of the
original lot owners of the town. He subscribed
to the Dedham co^venant July 18, 1637. A part
of this lot in Dedham is still in the possession of
his descendants. He was a lieutenant in the
French and Indian wars of 1652. He was not,
according to the old records of the 'Dedham
church, "comfortably received into the church
until March 1645 on account of his proud and
haughtv spirit." As the old records of Dedham
put "it "In Anthony Fisher we find an English-
man of strong, positive points of character, with
liberal means" for the times, of favorable consid-
eration by his fellow settlers as a citizen." He
was made a freeman in May, 1645, was chosen
selectman of Dedham in 1646 and 1647, county
commissioner, September 3, 1660, and deputy to
the general court May 2, 1649. He was chosen



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 21 of 130)