Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 22 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 22 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

commissioner March 5, 1666, and again select-
man in December, 1671. His son

Anthony Fisher, 3d, was a member of the
Ancient and Honorable Artillery^ Company in
1644, was made a freeman May 6, 1646, joined
the Dedham church July 20, 1645, was chosen
surveyor at Dedham in 1652 and served to 1654.
He was selectman of Dorchester in 1664, and was
a prominent man not only in the aflfairs of Ded-
ham and Dorchester but also in the improvement
of the lands at Wollomonopoag. He had a son

Josiah Fisher, born in Dedham, ]\Iay 11,
1654, made a freeman in 1683, was representative
in 1699, and selectman in 1697. He died in Ded-
ham April 12, 1736. He had a son

Josiah Fisher. 2d. born in Dedham, Novem-
ber 25, 16S3, married there, September 25, 1707,



Elizabeth, daughter of Deacon WilHam and
Ehzabeth (White) Avery, who was born in Ded-
ham, May i6, 1684, died there August 7, 1747.
He was captain of militia, selectman 1736 and
for seven succeeding years. He died intestate
February 24, 1763, aged seventy-nine. He had
a son

Jonathan Fisher, born in Dedham, August 5,
1713. He was the administrator of his father's
estate. He lived with his father, and in the ad-
ministration of the estate of his father the home-
stead was sold. He moved about that time to
New Braintree and settled in that part now in-
cluded in West Hampton, where he died October
23, 1796. Abner Smith, the first settler of West
Hampton, built his second house near the Fisher
place, which he sold to Jonathan Fisher about
1770. This place has remained in the Fisher
family to the present day, descending from father
to son, from Jonathan to Aaron, to Aaron, Jr., to
Jairus, the present occupant. Jonathan Fisher
had a son

Lieutenant Jonathan Fisher, 2d. He was
born in Dedham November 25, 1743, and was dis-
missed from the Dedham church to the church in
New Braintree June 8, 1766. He married, at
Dedham, October 2, 1766, Catherine, eldest
daughter of Deacon William and Bethia (Met-
calf ) Avery. She was a sister of the well-known
Reverend Josiah Avery, Congregational minis-
ter of Holden. Jonathan resided in New Brain-
tree until the spring of 1773. when he removed
into, that part of Northampton afterwards in-
cluded in West Hampton. In 1775 he resigned
his commission in the Colonial army, and March
22, 1776, his name appears on the list of officers
of Massachusetts militia as second lieutenant in
the Fifth Company (Northampton), Captain Jon-
athan Wales, of the Second Hampshire Regi-
ment. He was commissioned April 5, 1776, sec-
ond lieutenant of the Fifth Company, whereof
Jonathan Wales is captain, of the Second Regi-
ment of Militia in the county of Hampshire,
whereof Seth Pomeroy, Esq., is colonel. The
original commission is in the possession of the
widow of the Rev. James Boorman Fisher. He
died of fever at Morristown, New Jersey, March
10, 1777. His widow was left by the death of
her husband, so young in life, as the mother of
six children. She was a most remarkable wo-
man, even among the remarkable men and wo-
men of that time. All their children who lived to
arrive at years of maturity became noted in the
annals of New England.

Jonathan Fisher, the eldest so.n, was a man
Qf most unusual parts. He seemed to excel in

everything that he undertook. He wrote a work-,
on the animals and birds of New England and il-
lustrated it himself. He was a surveyor and laid
out the lines between the town of Blue Hill and
the surrounding towns. He was a minister of
the gospel and a most excellent Hebrew scholar.
He manufactured and mixed the paints where-
with to paint his house and barns. He graduated
at Harvard College in 1792, and was licensed to
preach in Brookline, IMassachusetts. He became
pastor of the Blue Hill Congregational Church
of Maine, July 13, 1796. A beautiful story of
this town of Blue Hill and its first minister en-
titled "A Down East Village and- Memorable
Pastorate," from which we quote this description
of Mr. Fisher, says: "It would be instructive to
know how much of this quiet and good order is
the result of the faithful and prolonged minis-
try of their first pastor, the Rev. Jonathan
Fisher, who came into the place when it was a
wilderness in 1793 and for forty-one years was
settled over this parish and whom the venerable
Doctor Bond pronounced the most remarkable
man he ever know. He was an author, an artist
and a poet, and he was one of the founders and
trustees of the Bangor Theological Seminary. He
is spoken of as a remarkable man, a good farmer,
a carpenter, a clock maker, a portrait painter, a
wood engraver, a poet, and well versed in He-
brew. He wrote three thousand sermons, was
an early riser, a great walker, a faithful chris-
tian. Under him the town became noted for in-
dustry, good morals and religious principles.
When preaching at a salary of two hundred dol-
lars a year and certain wood, etc., in all amount-
ing to not more than three hundred dollars, he
brought up a family of seven children, sent his.
daughter to boarding school, gave one son, Rev.
Josiah Fisher of Princeton, New Jersey, a lib-
eral education, and saved enough money to pay
the debt contracted while getting his own edu-
cation. He invented a shorthand, in which he ■
wrote his three tho^isand sermons."

Rev. Samuel Fisher, D. D., second child of
Jonathan and Catherine (Avery) Fisher was
graduated at Williams College in 1799, was li-
censed to preach by the Berkshire session, Oc-
tober 3, 1804. His first pastorate was at Wilton,,
Connecticut, where he was ordained October 31,
1804. In 1809 he was sent by the general ses-
sion of Connecticut to represent that body in the
general assemblv of the Presbyterian church at
Philadelphia. He was next pastor of the church
at Morristown, and afterwards pastor of the-
First Presbyterian Church in Paterson, New-
Jersey. The degree of D. D. was conferred upon



him by Nassau Hall, College of New Jersey, in
1827. He was the first moderator of the new
school division of the general assembly of the
Presbyterian Church in 1837, at the time of the
division between the old and new schoools. He
married, August 22, 1805. Alice, only child of
Dr. James and Elizabeth (Davenport) Cogswell,
of Preston, Connecticut. Elizabeth Davenport was
the daughter of John Davenport, the Dark Day
man celebrated in Whittier's poem o.f John Dav-
enport. Dr. Cogswell was a son of Rev. James
and Alice Cogswell, of Windham, Connecticut,
and the brother of Dr. Mason Fitch Cogswell, the
founder of the Hartford Asylum for Deaf ]\Iutes.
Doctor Cogswell was prominently identified with
the Revolutionary cause in the state of Connecti-
cut. Rev. Samuel and Alice Fisher had sons,
Samuel W. and James Cogswell.

Samuel Ware Fisher, eldest son of Rev. Sam-
uel and Alice Fisher, afterwards became presi-
dent of Hamilton College, and was one of the
committee of reunion appointed at St. Louis in
1870 to bring about the union between the old
and new schools of the Presbyterian Church. He
was also moderator of the general assembly of
the Presbyterian Church, which met at Cleveland,
Ohio, when the southern synods withdrew and
formed themselves into a separate body ; this be-
ing one of the eight or nine families in America
who have contributed two moderators of the gen-
eral assembly to the Presbyterian Church.

Dr. James Cogswell Fisher, second son of
Rev. Samuel and Alice (Cogswell) Fisher, was
born in Wilton, Connecticut, April 6, 1808. He
entered Yale College at the age of fourteen and
graduated with the class of 1826. He entered
the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New
York City and graduated from there in 183 1. He
married, at Paterson, Xew Jersey, Alay 9, 183 1,
Eliza Sparks. Her father was Major Samuel
Sparks, a shipping merchant of Philadelphia,
who served with credit in the war of 18 12, at-
taining the rank of major. In 1836 Dr. Fisher
was appointed professor of chemistry and miner-
alogy in the University of New York. He was
associated with Professor S. B. JNIorse in the con-
struction and introduction of the electric tele-
graph. Dr. Fisher always claimed that he was
the first to suggest stretching wires on poles to
avoid the great cost of putting them in pipes
underground, which at first seemed likely to pre-
vent the telegraph being generally used. Subse-
quently he was associated with Colonel Sanniel
Colt in experiments in electricitv applied to sub-
marine purposes, during the course of which he
blew up some old vessels in New York harbor.

At the breaking out of the Civil war he was
made surgeon of the Fifth Regiment of New
Jersey Volunteers; was soon afterwards made
brigade surgeon of the Second New Jersey Brig-
ade, and upon the abolishment of the rank of
brigade surgeon was made medical director of
Heintzleman's division of Sumner's Corps, and
subsequently served on the staff of Generals Pat-
terson and Hooker. He was made medical in-
spector of the Veteran Reserve Corps of the De-
partment of the Gulf and was with General
Banks on his Red River expedition. He was
surgeon in charge at Springville Landing, below
Port Hudson, before and at the time of the sur-
render of that post, and all the wounded of both
armies passed under his supervision. He was sub-
sequently surgeon in charge of Camp Parole at
Annapolis, Alaryland, during the time of the ex-
change of the ten thousand prisoners from south-
ern prisons, about the time of the close of the
war, and was honorably mustered out of the ser-
vice January 9, 1865, with the rank of lieutenant-
colonel. He had a remarkable mind and his
memon- was phenomenal. He was called the
"Walking Encyclopedia" by those who knew him
well. He attended the fiftieth reunion of his
class at Yale in 1876. He was a ruling elder of
the Presbvterian Church. He died in 1881 and
is buried 'in the family plot at Woodlands ceme-
tery, Philadelphia. They had among other chil-
dren, Samuel S. and James H.

Samuel S. Fisher, his oldest son, studied law
under Judge Taft, of Cincinnati, and was a pat-
ent lawyer of prominence in the United States.
He was colonel of the One Hundred and Twen-
tv-eighth Ohio Regiment, was commissioner of
patents under General Grant for eighteen months,
and was drowned in the Susquehanna river while
on a canoe trip with his oldest son Robbie, at
the Falls of the Connewago, below Harrisburg,
in August, 1874. Dr. Fisher's daughter, Alice
Cogswell, living in Washington, D. C, is the
fourth Alice Cogswell by name in the family
from that Alice Cogswell, a deaf mute who
was taught by Professor E. M. Gallaudet, a
monument to record which event now stands in
Washington, D. C.

James Henry Fisher, sixth son of Dr. James
Cogswell Fisher, was born at No. 1313 Chest-
nut street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October
2, 1845. He studied in the public schools and
prepared for Princeton College under Samuel
Gummere at Burlington. Xew Jersey. His pro-
fession is that of civil engineer and surveyor.
He was for thirteen years the surveyor of the
real estate department of the Delaware and Hud-



son Company. At present his time is largely
taken up with the purchase of rights of way for
different railroad companies, the preparation of
important mining and land cases for trial, and
abstracting of titles. He is a Presbyterian in re-
ligion, a Republican in politics ; has been city ed-
itor of the Scranton Kcpiiblican, secretary of the
Scranton Board of Trade, is a member and ex-
president of the Princeton Ahnnni Association
of Northeastern Pennsylvania, secretary of the
New England Society of Northeastern Penn-
sylvania, secretary of the Lackawanna Institute
of History and Science, is a member of tihe
Scranton Engineers' Club, the Wyoming Geolog-
ical and Historical Society of Luzerne County,
the Scranton Club of Scranton, the Westmore-
land Club of Wilkes-Barre, the Pennsylvania So-
ciety of the Sons of the Revolution and Sigma
Chapter of the order of Chi Phi. He married,
August 24, 1899, Alice Marie Falkenbury, widow
of Wallace Jay Falkenbury, a merchant of Sus-
quehanna, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania.
She was the daughter of DeWayne Norton, who
was engaged in the lumber business at Susque-
hanna. Her mother is Hannah Annis Norton
(nee Church), who is still (1906) living, at the
age of seventy-seven years, with her daughter,
Mrs. Fisher. Mr. and Mrs. Norton were mar-
ried at Maine, Broome covmty. New York,
March 21, 1846.

HON. JOHN H. FELLOWS, who has been
for many years numbered among the most enter-
prising and public-spirited citizens of Scranton,
is descended in the paternal line from English an-
cestry, while in the maternal line he comes of
Scotch lineage and also from one of the historic
families founded in the new world by the ]\Iay-
flower voyagers.

Joseph Fellows, founder of the American
family of that name, was born near Sheffield,
England, sailed for America in 1790, accom-
panied by his family, and that year established
his home in Scranton, where he figured prom-
inently in public aiTairs in his locality, serving as
justice of the peace and conveyancer of lands.
His home was located in that district of the city
known as Hyde Park. He had extensive farm-
ing interests, speculated largely in lands and ob-
tained many tracts. His possessions included a
vast acreage of coal lands, which he sold before
he knew their value. He was about eighty years
of age when he became involved in litigation with
Dr. Malone. Winning his suit he therebv in-
curred the bitter enmity of the physician, who in
a fit of rage struck Mr. Fellows with a club, the

blow resulting in his death. In the family were
four sons and four daughters: Nancy, Lydia,
Catherine T., Elizabeth, Benjamin, Henry and
Sylvanus, who were farmers ; and Joseph, who
succeeded his father in his real estate transac-
tions, founded Hyde Park and died unmarried
at the age of ninety-one years.

Benjamin Fellows, son of Joseph Fellows, was
born in England, and was but two years of age
at the time of his parents' emigration to the new-
world. His boyhood days were spent at the fam-
ily home which was then a farm in what is now
the west side of the city. He devoted his energies
throughout his entire life to agricultural pursuits,
was an honored and respected citizen of his com-
munity and passed away at the age of eighty-five
years. He did not care to figure in public life,
but served for some time as justice of the peace.
He married a La France, who was of French
extraction, and was born in the Wyoming \'al-
ley. Their children were : i. Joseph T., a farmer,
who lived on the homestead. 2. Benjamin B.,
who located in Ottawa, LaSalle county, Illinois,
and engaged in the coal business there. He mar-
ried, and his children were Joseph, William, and
four daughters. 3. Sallie, married (first), a Mr.
Knickerbocker, and they had three sons, among
whom was Jay, and a daughter Helen. Her sec-
ond husband was Daniel Way, and the marriage
was without issue.

John Fellows, son of Benjamin Fellows and
father of Hon. John H. Fellows, was a native of
Scranton, his birthplace being his father's home-
stead farm in what is now Hyde Park. There he
was reared to, the labors of field and meadow and
assisted in clearing one hundred acres of land in
the western district of the city. He did not con-
fine his attention, however, entirely to agricul-
tural pursuits, but also engaged in the manufac-
ture of brick. Becoming an advocate of the
Republican partv upon its organization, he re-
mained one of its stalwart champions until his
death, and at the time of the Civil war he was
likewise an inflexible advocate of the Union cause
and gave liberally of his means for its support.
His religious faith was that of the Universalist
Church. He was accidentally killed in 1887 by
being thrown from his carriage, receiving injur-
ies which caused his death, at the age of seventy-
two years and four months.

John Fellows married Cynthia J. Pierce, born
in Cooperstown, New York, a daughter of Levi
Pierce, a native of the state of New York, but for
many vears a resident of Scranton, where he
owned a distillery. He was of Scotch ancestry,
and a descendant of one of the Mayflower im-



migrants, as was also his wife, a Miss Ingles.
Iheir children were: i. Orin, a farmer and tan-
ner at Cooperstown, New York, where he died.
2. Albert, a carpenter, who lived and died in
Cooperstown. 3. Horatio S., who was a financier,
having been president of a bank in Carbondale,
and later president of the Scranton Trust Com-
panv and Savings Bank. He died in Scranton,
leaving a daughter, now Mrs. Sophronia Wisner,
a resident of Brooklyn, New York. 4. Levi J., a
speculator and capitalist, who lived at Forest-
ville, Chautauqua county, New York. 5. Louisa,
married Harvey Perkins, a carpenter. 6. Harriet,
married Austin Knapp, and they had three chil-

John and Cynthia J. (Pierce) Fellows were
the parents of nine children :

i. Harriet, died May, 1903; she married
Peter Wolcott, and their children were Pierce,
John, Jeanette, Elizabeth, Electa, Jessie and

2. Sarah, married George W. Carlton, a
native of New Hampshire, and a carpenter and
"builder ; their children were Edward, Robert and

3. Electa E., married Fernando Oram, of
Scranton, an engineer on the Delaware, Lacka-
wanna & Western Railroad ; their children were :
Jessie and Hattie.

4. Levi P., died aged seventeen years.

5. John H., to be further mentioned here-

6. Horatio T., a railroad conductor ; he mar-
ried Ann Alida Thirlwell, and their children
were Carrie, Pierce, Jennie, Frank, Alida and

7. George H., an engineer and machinist:
he married Hannah Weaver, and their children
were Hattie, Gertrude, Eva, Bertha and Ruth.

8. Charles D., who was in the insurance
business and died in 1891 ; he married Lucy
Williams, and their children were Albert. Ethel
and Lucv.

9. Eddie, died at the age of six years. The
mother of these children did not long survive
"her husband, dying at the age of seventy-three
years. She was a woman of noble Christian char-
acter, and a devout member of the Methodist
Episcopal church.

John H. Fellows, throughout his entire life a
resident of Scranton, was born July 23, 1849, i"
the family home not far from his present place
of residence at No. 418 Tenth streeet. He was
a district school student through the winter
months until he attained the age of fifteen years
and through the summer seasons he assisted in

farm work. He was only fourteen at the time
of the Civil war, when he left home without per-
mission and went to Harrisburg, where he en-
deavored to enlist in the army, but was rejected
on account of his youth and diminutive stature.
He began learning the painter's trade, which he
followed until twenty years of age, when, de-
sirous of advancement along lines demanding a
broader intellectuality, and more thorough prep-
aration, he became a student in Gardner's Busi-
ness College. Completing his course there he
entered the employ of the Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western Railroad Company and after a brief
service v^'ith that corporation became a represen-
tative of the German Fire Insurance Company of
Erie, developing the largest agency in Scranton.
In 1882 he sold his business to Norman & Moore,
and turned his attention to the settlement of the
estate of Joseph Fellows, his great uncle, which
had been in litigation for many years. He suc-
ceeded in effecting a settlement, saving what was
left of the property, and he continues to act as
agent for the estate, in addition to which he has
had large real estate interests. He has operated
very extensively in realty in the placing of invest-
ments and in the sale of property in various por-
tions of the country. He is now president of the
J. W. Browning Land Company, owners of land
at Arlington Heights, below North Park : the
Shawnee Land Company, incorporated in 1894,
by which the boulevard of South Wilkes-Barre
was laid out : and the Ontario Land Company,
which was organized with a capital of fifty
thousand dollars that has since been increased to
four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and
which operates in Duluth, Minnesota, and vicin-
ity. This company also owns realty at Spokane
and Tacoma, Washington, and at Atlanta,
Georgia. This company had as its founders
John H. Fellows and Harry C. Heermans, of
Corning, New York, and the office of the com-
pany is at Duluth.

While interested in business aft'airs in various
parts of the country, Mr. Fellows has remained
loyal to his native city and has co-operated in
many movements for its upbuilding. He has also
figured in its political circles, and in 1886 was
elected on the People's ticket a member of the
board of school commissioners, but was legis-
lated out of office. He was afterward chosen
for the same position on the Republican ticket,
endorsed bv the Democrats, and served until
February, 1890, when he was honored by election
to the mayoralty of Scranton. In April of that
year he entered UDon a three years term, giving
to the city a business-like and progressive ad-



ministration that won him high encomiums from
many representative men. In 1894 he was his
party's candidate for congress and received a
large support, but was defeated. He has served
in city and county committees of the Republi-
can party, and his opinions have carried weight
in its councils, while his efforts have guided Re-
publican action in his district. He is a valued
representative of various fraternal organizations,
including Union Lodge, No. 291, Ancient, Free
and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past-
master, and he likewise belongs to Lackawanna
Chapter, No. 185, Royal Arch Masons. He is
identified with both the lodge and encampment
of the Odd Fellows, being a past noble grand of
the former, and has membership relations with
Le-ha-hanna, Tribe of Red Men ; the Elks ; Hyde
Park Lodge, No. 301, Sons of St. George, and
Washington Camp, No. 72, Patriot Order Sons
of America. He is popular in his home city be-
cause of his approachability, genial and cour-
teous manners, his entire reliability in business,
his inflexible adherence to his convictions, and
his loyal and progressive citizenship.

At ]\Ieshoppen, ]\Ir. Fellows married Gene-
vieve Overfield, who was there born, a daughter
of Benjamin Overfield, a farmer and a descen-
dant of German ancestry. Their children were :

1. Winfield H., a graduate of Lafayette College,
and now an electrical engineer ; he married Fan-
nie Kennedy, and they reside in Washington, D.
C. ; their children are Winfield H. and Kenneth.

2. Nellie, married John W. Howell, of Scran-
ton, who has charge of the Pintsch department of
the Laclede Gas Light plant in St. Louis, Mis-
souri ; they have a daughter, Lois. 3. Lois,
married A. E. Morse, who is an "ad" specialist
and a musician, and they reside in Scranton.
4. Louise A., a teacher in the county public
schools. 5. Emma, who lives at home. 6.
Raymond. 7. Alwilda. All these children
graduated from the Scranton high school. The
mother died July 21, 1893, aged forty years. Air.
Fellows subsequently married Miss Laura L.
Gray, daughter of Alonzo Gray, a farmer and
dairyman of Tuscorora township, Bradford
county, Pennsylvania, and a granddaughter of
Elder Gray, a Baptist minister at Laceyville.
The children of this marriage were John H. and
Marguerite Mae.

years actively identified with various important
industrial and commercial enterprises in Scran-
ton, has also during his long residence in
the city exerted a potent aud salutary influence

in community affairs, contributing in no small
degree to that development which has won for the
metropolis of the Lackawanna \'alley a world-
wide fame.

To Mr. Lansing belongs a remarkable ances-
tral distinction, being a lineal descendant of some
of the earliest representatives on American soil
of two distinct races — English and Dutch — races
which, dissimilar in many respects, were equally
noted for the best individual traits of character,
stern integrity, devotion to religious ideals, and
unflinching loyalty to ideas of political freedom.
The progenitor of the American branch of the
Lansing family was Gerrit Frederick Lansing,
whose father, Frederick Lansing, was a resident
of the village of Hassel, province of Overyssel,

Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 22 of 130)