Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 25 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 25 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

cation, and the knowledge thus obtained was
supplemented by attendance at the Keystone
Academy, Factoryville, and at Sprague's Busi-
ness College, Kingston. In 1887 he took up the
study of medicine, the same year entered the
Long Island Medical College, later was a stu-
dent in Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, and in 1890 was graduated with
Medical College, Columbus, Ohio. The same
the degree of Doctor of Medicine from Columbus
year he opened an office in Dalton, Pennsylvania,
where he remained two years, and then located
in Fleetville, where he remained four years. In
March, 1896, he located in Taylor and since then
has devoted himself exclusively to his profession
and the best interests of his patients. He is a
member of Acacia Lodge, No. 597, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, and the Royal Arcanum.

In 1883 Dr. Olmstead married Miss Sallie
Brownell, daughter of Daniel and Hester Brown-
ell, and three children have been born to them :
Kate, Nina, and Hawley.

FULLER FAMILY. Edward Fuller was
one of the passengers on the "Mayflower," and
became the progenitor of the family in America.
He and his wife Ann had a son, Samuel Fuller
(2), who married Jane Lathrop, and their son
Samuel Fuller (3), married Ann Miller, and
afterward Mary Ide. Samuel Fuller (4), son of
Samuel Fuller, married Dorothy Wilmarth.

Samuel Fuller, of the fifth generation in
America, was born and lived at Rehoboth,
Massachusetts. He was three times married, his
wives being successively Susan Harton, Waity
Ormsbee and Hannah Lake. His children by his
second wife were Nathan, Ruth, Dolly and Waity.
The children of his third marriage were Sam-
viel, Jacob, David, Jesse, Nathaniel, Daniel,
Susan, Louis, Hannah and Rhoda.

Jesse Fuller (6), fourth child of Samuel and
Hannah (Lake) Fuller, was born at Rehoboth,
February 14, 17.S2, and died January 17, 1832.
He was married in March, 1776, to Lydia Miller,
who was born August 25, 1760, died November
I, 1830. Jesse Fuller resided in the western part
of Rehoboth, near Palmer's river, and not far
from the Taunton pike. He attended the Palmer

river meeting house, and his remains together
with those of his wife lie buried in the cemetery
at Diamond Hill, town of Cumberland, Rhode-
Island. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary
war, enlisting from Rehoboth in Captain Syl-
vanus Martin's company under Colonel Caq^en-
ter. He participated in the battle of Bennington,
coming out unhurt, and assisted in drawing from
the field the cannon captured from the British.
An anecdote is related of him that can be found
in the history of Rehoboth. It seems that in
1776 a company was raised under Colonel
Thomas Carpenter to join Washington's army at
White Plains. The British advanced to that
point, and in the skirmish attacked the Americans
and retreated. In the American army there was
a soldier by the name of Fuller, and when the
enemy retreated he was one of the foremost in
pursuit, and, coming up with the British soldiers,
who were just leaving a house in which they had
delayed for refreshments, he leveled his musket
at them and called out in a most determined tone,
"Throw down your guns, or I'll shoot you-
through." They, either from fear or some othei
motive, instantly obeyed, and Fuller, in all real
pride and triumph, led back two gigantic British
prisoners to the colonel, who surveying the Go -
liathlike dimensions of the prisoners, and, con-
trasting them with the inferior stature of their-
captor, inquired of Fuller how he managed to
take them. Fuller, who stuttered at times, an-
swered, "Well, Colonel, I sur-sur-rounded them."
The name of Jesse Fuller appears on a list of
men in Captain Nathaniel Carpenter's company
stationed at Brookline six weeks, and was dis-
missed January 15, 1776. (Extract from Massa-
chusetts Muster and Payrolls, vol. 53, page 236).
His name appears on a list of men in Captain
Carpenter's company in Colonel Simeon Cary's
regiment and General John F'ellows' brigade at
New York and White Plains. His term of ser-
vice at that time was five months, and he was
dismissed December i, 1776. (Massachusetts
!\Iuster and Payrolls, vol. 53, page 236). His
name appears as that of a private in the muster-
and payrolls of Captain Sylvanus Martin's com-
pany of Colonel Thomas Carpenter's regiment
for service in Rhode Island, December 8, 1776,
time of service sixteen days. Again his name ap-
pears in a' list of men in Captain James Hibt's,
company, Colonel John Daggett's regiment, at
Bristol, for three months, from December 28,
1776. (Massachusetts Muster and Payrolls, vol.
53, page 25). He also did service according to-
the muster and payroll of Captain Israel Hicks
under command of Colonel John Daggett, ia

ft.LL W t-W Vt

c^frC J^i^



Rhode Island, the time of his enhstment being
January 2, 1778, and his term of service three
months, the roll being sworn to at Rehoboth.
(Rhode Island Service, vol. 19, page 199). He
appears with rank of sergeant on the muster
and payroll of Captain Jacob Taylor's Company,
Colonel John Jacob's regiment, for service in
Rhode Island, time of enlistment May i, 1778,
the term of enlistment to expire January i, I779!
time of service eight months and one day : town
to which soldier belonged Rehoboth. (Rhode
Island Service, vol. 2, page 49).

The children of Jesse and Lydia (Miller) Ful-
ler were : Elizabeth, born December 29, 1786,
married Nathan Guild; Lydia, born April 13,
1787, married William Walcott : Jesse, born No-
vember 23, 1792, married Philanda Morse and
(second) SaUie Billings; Sarah (called Sally),
born May 5, 1795, married Jesse Whiting; Han-
nah, born ]\Iarch 10, 1797, married David
Holmes; Nancy, born July 7, 1801, died August
31, 1841, who was second wife of Jesse Whiting.

Jesse Fuller' (7), son of Jesse and Lydia
(Miller) Fuller, married Philanda Morse and
afterward Sallie Billings. Among his children

Charles A. Fuller (8), who was born at
Southbridge, Massachusetts, January 21, 1821.
He was a builder and carpenter by trade. He re-
moved to. New Hartford, Oneida county. New
York, in 1830, and to Clinton, same county, in
1845, and remained a resident there until 1873, a
period of twenty-eight years. During this time
lie operated a planing mill on the east side of the
Oriskany creek, on College street, and also built
the College observatory, the Bartlett residence,
and the house nearlv opposite, now owned by
]\Irs. Libbey. Later he took up his residence in
L'tica, New York, where for many years he led
a retired life. He was a member of the Pres-
byterian Church, a Republican in politics, and
served as a clarionet player in the militia. He
married Carile Gates, and their children were :
Arthur C, a sketch of whom follows this ; Al-
bert W., and William S. Of this number Albert
W. married Sarah Shaw, and had four children ;
Mabel, wife of Charles A. Peck ; Grace ; a son
that died in early childhood ; and Clarence.
Charles A. Fuller passed away at his home in
\\'estmoreland, Oneida county, New York, July
2, 1904, in the eightv-fourth year of his age. The
funeral services were conducted by the Rev.
Oliver Owen, of St. James Church, and the in-
terment was in Clinton cemetery. He is survived
by two Sions ; Arthur C. Fuller, of Scranton,
-Pennsvlvania, and Albert W. Fuller, of Albanv,

New York. He also leaves three sisters — Miss
Mary E. Fuller, of Clinton, New York ; ]\Irs.
Sarah McEntee, of Westmoreland, New York ;
and Mrs. Julia L. Earl, of Lynn, Massachusetts.
Arthur C. Fuller (9), eldest son of Charles
A. and Carile (Gates) Fuller, was born Febru-
ary 27, 1849, i" Oneida county. New York. He
was educated in the district and high schools of
Clinton, New York, but relinquished a collegiate
course which he prepared for, in order to become
a clerk in a store at Clinton, in which capacity
he served for two years. The following year he
was employed in the branch office of the Rem-
ington Agricultural Works at Utica, New York,
from which he was transferred to the main office
of the company at Ilion, New York, where he re-
mained two years. He was then employed with
J. S. & M. Peckham, stove manufacturers, at
Utica, for nine years, and had charge of the fin-
ancial part of the business up to 1882. In that
year he located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, be-
came connected with the Scranton Stove Works,
and with J. A. Lansing purchased the controlling
interest and became treasurer, and at the present
time (1905) is vice-president and treasurer of
the same. The business was established in 1866
by the Scranton Stove and Manufacturing Com-
pany, later was changed to the Scranton Stove
Works, which was founded by some of Scran-
ton's best known business men of the past and
present, among them the late Colonel J. A. Price,
J. J. Albright. J. C. Piatt, H. S. Pierce, J. A.
Linen and William Connell. The business was
first located on West Lackawanna avenue, but in
1892 removed to the present site and erected a
new plant which, with extensive additions re-
cently constructed, is one of the largest exclu-
sive stove plants in the east. The plant occupies
nine acres, three and one-half acres under roof.
It employs four hundred men, and their chief
product is the manufacture of the "Dockash"
stoves and ranges. Mr. Fuller is a member of
the Board of Trade, director, and member of the
executive committee and vice-president of the
Pennsylvania Casualty Company. He is a mem-
ber of the Green Ridge Presbyterian Church, and
of its board of trustees, of which body he is sec-
retary. He is a member of the Scranton Club,
the Green Ridge Club, the Green Ridge Wheel-
men's Building Company, in which he is a di-
rector, and he was one of the organizers and for
eleven vears treasurer of the New England So-
ciety of Northeastern Pennsylvania. For his
services in the capacity named the Society, at its
annual bpnquet, in 1903, presented to him a lov-
ing-cup inscribed as follows : "Presented by the



New England Society of North-eastern Pennsyl-
vania to Mr. Arthur Charles Fuller, in recogni-
tion of efficient services as Treasurer, 1892-

]Mr. Fuller married, December 17, 1873, Clara
Woohvorth, a daughter of Cornwell and Ange-
line (Coe) Woohvorth, and their children are:
Howard A., a graduate of Lafayette College ; he
is a member of the firm of Foote & Fuller Com-
pany, house furnishing goods, at Scranton. Ray
W., also a graduate of Lafayette College, receiv-
ing the degree of electrical engineer ; he then
learned the stove business at St. Louis, Missouri,
and Quincy, Illinois, and is now superintendent
of the manufacturing part of the stove business
of the Scranton Stove Works. He married Grace
Sanderson, who bore him a son, Arthur C. Fuller,
and a daughter, Louise S. Fuller. Florence M.,
who died at the age of three years. Floid M.. a
junior in the Massachusetts Institute of Tech-
nology, Boston, Massachusetts, mechanical en-
gineering course. Warren L., a student at Hav-
erford Preparatory school, Haverford, Pennsyl-

ton, has contributed largely to the development
of that city during the many years that it has
been his home.

The narrative of his ancestry, which we copy
largely from Mr. Kulp's volume, is of peculiar
interest in at least one respect. The four direct
ancestors of his father and mother came to, this
country within twenty years after the arrival of
the Mayflower. He is a descendant of Roger
Sturgis (an early form of the name), of Clips-
ton, Northamptonshire, England, whose children
are identified through his will, made November
10, 1530. From him the family line is traced
through Robert, Roger, and Robert, to Edward,
the first of the family in America. Edward
Sturges came to Charlestown, Massachusetts, in
1634, and later settled in Yarmouth. From him
the family line is traced through Peter and Chris-
topher to Joseph. Joseph Sturges settled in
Stamford, Connecticut, where his son Lewis was
born, July 15, 1756, and died in 1838. His wife
was Mary Porter. His son, Joseph Porter
Sturges, was born in 1784, and died in 1861. His
wife was Laura, a daughter of Thomas H. Bene-

Thomas H. Benedict was a descendant of
Thomas Benedict, whose history is given in
"The Genealogy of the Benedicts in America,"
by Henry Marvin Benedict, who says : "Among
those Englishmen who went into voluntary exile

rather than endure the cruelties and oppressions-
of the Stuarts, was Thomas Benedict, of Notting-
hamshire." The writer says there is reason to
suppose that the family anciently resided in the
silk manufacturing district of France, and were
of Latin origin ; that Huguenot persecutions
arising, they fled to German}-, and thence by way
of Holland to England. In 1640 Thomas Bene-
dict was an inhabitant of Southold, Long Island,
in 1657 of Huntington, and in 1662 of Jamaica,
Long Island. March 20, 1663, Stuyvesant, the
Dutch governor, appointed him a magistrate ; in
September of the same year he was one of the
Long Islanders who petitioned to be annexed
to the Connecticut colony. He was one of the
most important men of his day. He was a com-
missioner when the English under Colonel Rich-
ard Nicolls supplanted the Dutch authority, and
was a member of "a general meeting" on the last
day of February, 1665, this being probably the
first English incumbent of nearly if not all the
local offices. He was identified with the found-
ing of what some have termed the first Presby-
terian Church in America, at Jamaica, Long Is-
land, in 1662. He died November 20, 1689. His
son, Lieutenant Daniel Benedict, was born on
Long Island, removed to Norwalk, Connecticut :
was a soldier in "the swamp fight," December
19, 1675 ; in 1690 removed to Danbury, Connecti-
cut. He married Mary, daughter of Matthew

Rev. Thomas Benedict Sturges, son of Joseph
Porter and Laura (Benedict) Sturges, was born
in Bridgeport, Connecticut, in 1812. For more
than thirty years he was the Congregational min-
ister at Greenfield Hill, in that state. It is a note-
worthy fact that the only vote he ever cast for a
presidential candidate was for James G. Blaine.
He married Hannah West, daughter of Chauncey
Baker ; her father was a banker, at one time
sheriff of Jefferson county. New York, and a de-
voted Presbyterian ; her mother was a daughter
of Hosiah Pratt, of Jefferson county. New York,
descended from Lieutenant William Pratt, who
was at Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1633.

Edward Baker Sturges, son of Rev. Thomas
Benedict and Hannah West (Baker) Sturges,
was born at Greenfield Hill, Connecticut, Feb-
ruary 15, 1845. He was educated at the College-
of New York, residing in that city for five years.
During the Civil war he served with troops
called out to defend the national authority, and
his first visit to Pennsylvania was when, as a
member ci a New York regiment, he aided in
driving from its soil the invading rebel army of
General Robert E. Lee. He read law under the

Jhi Lewis nthhshvi^.Co.




preceptorship of J. D. Alvord, of Fairfield
county, Connecticut, and in February, 1867, w2s
admitted to the bar of that county. In the same
year, he came to Luzerne county to attend the
funeral of a relative, and was so favorably
impressed by the prospects of Scranton, that he
abandoned his purpose of locating in the city
of New^ York. John B. Smith, then general
manager of the Pennsylvania Coal Company,
was largely instrumental in aiding him to a
footing in Scranton, and in the course of a
few years he had built up a large practice,
which soon became equally remunerative, per-
haps, with that of any other practitioner in the
cit}\ He gave himself to it unsparingly until
he had become largely interested in important
business affairs, and felt the necessity of sur-
rendering a part of his work or suffering ser-
ious impairment of health. He had carefully
investigated European applications for the
electrical operation of railways, and, convinced
of its practicability, he set himself to its in-
troduction in Scranton ; organized a company
for the purpose of building an electrical street
railway ; personally superintended the construc-
tion of the road and the building of its equip-
ment, and as president directed its operation.
As a result he brought to the city the distinc-
tion of having the first street railway in the
United States built for electric power (not-
withstanding claims made by other localities).
and Scranton became famous as "The Electric
City.' He also organized and became presi-
dent of the Lackawanna Electric Power Com-
pany, which supplied power to the Scranton
roads; and the Suburban Electric Light Com-
pany. He is yet identified with many import-
ant interests, and is now president of the Pine
Hill Coal Company, president of the Clarence
Coal Company, a director in the Dolph Coal
Company, and many other local business inter-
ests. He was, during its construction, presi-
dent of the Ontario. Carbondale and Scranton
Railroad (now the Wyoming division of the
Ontario and Western Railroad ) , president of
the proposed Xew York, Wyoming and West-
ern Railroad : also, of the Scranton Coal Com-
pany ; and a director in the Xew York, On-
tario & Western Railway, and the Lackawan-
na Steel Company. He is also interested in
various other industrial and financial institu-

Xor are his activities restricted to mater-
ialities. Holdinpf to high ideals, he has ever
zealously labored for those interests which con-
duce to cleanliness of personal life and civic

integrity and decency. A firm friend of the
Young Men's Christian Association, he has
served for many years upon its board of trus-
tees, was its president in 1873-74, and for a
number of years its corresponding secretary.
An inscription upon the outer walls of the gym-
nasium proves his interest in the work an^ his
characteristic modesty in proclaiming it. He
is also interested in many of the charitable
institutions of the cit}-. He is a member of the
Young Men's Christian Association state com-
mittee, Xational Municipal League and kin-
dred societies. He was one of the eight mem-
bers of the First Presbyterian Church of Scran-
ton, who originally pledged themselves to the
organization of the Second Church, of which
he was for several years a trustee ; he is now
an elder in the Green Ridge Church. For five
years he was a member of the noted "Com-
pany D," and was one of the organizers of the
Thirteenth Regiment, National Guard of Penn-
sylvania., to which that company belonged.
He is a member of the Scranton Club, the
Country Club, the Engineers' Club, and the Xew
England Society.

During recent years it has been as a fore-
most member of the Municipal League of
Scranton that Mr. Sturges has made his in-
fluence chiefly felt locally. Even in these days
of great reform movements, the campaign led
by Mr. Sturges, covering more than five years
of incessant labor, stands out as unique, if not
unprecedented. Several years ago, feeling that
Scranton had drifted far away from the con-
dition of an ideal and law-abiding city, he
brought together a number of representative
Scranton citizens of standing and influence.
The result was the organization of a Munici-
pal League for the purification of social, moral
and political conditions in the city. There was
urgent necessity for remedial agencies. Many
public offices were held by men notoriously
inefficient, if not absolutely corrupt ; graft and
dishonesty permeated nearly every department
of the city government ; gambling houses stood
defiantly open ; houses of ill-fame enjoyed a
tacit protection which was actual immunity ;
brazen-faced women openly solicited on the
streets ; slot-machines operating such gambling
games as faro and three card monte were in
operation at almost every corner ; hundreds of
"speakeasies" were without molestation ;
bribery was practiced at the polls, in councils ;
the moral tone of the city was notoriously bad.
and young men in great numbers were falling
into the pitfalls set for them almost everywhere.



Determined to strike at the fountain head —
the jury system and city councils — they pro-
cured from New York a number of detectives
who found little difficulty in obtaining incrim-
inating evidence against nineteen coimcilmen.
The}' were prosecuted, and only escaped con-
dign^ punishment by resigning their offices,
signing an agreement not to aspire to public
office for a period of five years, and each paving
to the IMuncipal League the sum of two hun-
dred dollars. This fund was by the League
turned over to certain deserving charities.
During this crusade, (which involved incessant
labor, considerable expense, and no little per-
sonal danger on the part of the efficient agent,
Robert Wilson, within a year an entire change
had taken place in the general morals of the
city. More than two hundred and fifty cases
of Sunday and other illegal liquor selling were
prosecuted, resulting in many convictions, and
practically ridding the city of this form of vio-
lation of law. Gambling of every description
was broken up ; the number of dram shops was
reduced to a minimum, and those conducted with
all the orderliness possible.

When, during the investigations which re-
sulted in these praiseworthy achievements, Mr.
Sturges came to realize, among other evils,
the inefficient if not corrupt system of select-
ing jurymen, he resolved to correct as far as
possible that fundamental defect in our court
system. He announced himself as a candidate
for jury commissioner, was overwhelmingly
elected and performed the duties of the office
during his term of three years. The improve-
ment in the character of the jurymen developed
(luring his term of service was most marked.
Men charged with the most important business
interests gave up their time willingly and
served as jurymen in both civil and criminal
trials. The improvement thus begun has con-
tiued to the present time. The League has
also closed all houses of ill-fame, and driven the
greater number of their inmates away. .\s a
result of the work of the League, the citv of
Scranton has been elevated from a low plane
of morality, comparable cnly to that of some
of the frontier towns of a quarter of a centurv
ago, to undisputed rank among the verv best
conducted Eastern cities, in point of all that
makes for salutary social conditions. A cir-
cumstance connected with the crusade against
Sunday liquor sellers has been noted by out-
siiide newspapers as being especially remark-
able. A number of licensed liquor dealers

(some of whom had undoubtedb,- been guilty
of oflfences against the Sunday laws), joined in
raising a fund of $5000 to be used by the
I^eague in prosecuting future violators. As
the League refused to touch the money except
as from time to time required for the above
purpose, the fund was placed in the hands of
Hon. E. N. Willard and Mr. Sturges, to be
paid over as needed.

This civic contest for Ijetter conditions was
the third in which Mr. Sturges has been the
leader since he came to Scranton in 1869.
For conspicuous public service in earlier years,
and along similar lines, the citizens of Scran-
ton, in 1877, presented him with a handsome
silver service. The subject of this sketch has
found time, notwithstanding his active life, to
inform himself as to conditions in other
countries. He has twice gone around the
world, paying especial attention to missionary
and kindred work, in which he has always been
greatly interested. He is a member of both the
Palesiine and the Egyptian Exploration So-
cieties, having visited those countries several
time>. and is a close student of all that con-
cerns the rapidly changing conditions in the

Mr. Sturges married Miss Marion Sander-
son, a daughter of Hon. George Sanderson, and
of this union were born three children : Clar-
ence; George, who married Miss Helen Saxe,
of Scranton ; and Nanna, who resides at home.
The sons are associated with their father in

WHTJAM T. SMITH. Seldom in a life-
time does an individual raise to himself, with-
out ambition, and as a result solely of high
moral purpose, such splendid monuments in
perfection of personal character and works of
enduring benefit to his fellow-men, as were
left by \\'illiani Tallman Smith, and his mem-
ory is one of the most ennobling possessions

Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 25 of 130)