Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 26 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 26 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the citv benefited by his presence and efTort.
He inherited the sturdy virtues of a New Eng-
land ancestry, and shaped his career after the
loftiest models. In Scranton he laid the foun-
dations of his fortune, and it was the field of
his great usefulness. Displaying all the abili-
ties of the thoroughly equipped master of ex-
tensive afTairs, he won large and well deserved
success. Amid all the labors and perplexities
and triumphs of an active business life, he
avoided the almost inevitable error of losing
himself in it. On the contrarv, he ever culti-





'^^^



^



^^



THE WYOMING AxNTD LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



121



^•ated those graces of heart and mind which
broaden the mental view and strengthen the
moral fibre, and find expression in love for
literature and art, and the real refinements of
society. He held himself upon even a higher
plane. He kept his heart warm toward all
humanity, bestowing upon all about him the
benedictions of sympathy and thoughtful con-
sideration. His life abounded in gentle words
and kindly deeds, while his broad philanthropy
was marked by generous and continued bene-
factions to every class of institution which
seeks to ameliorate the condition of the afifiicted
and distressed. His death was deeply de-
plored, all classes of the community mourning
his loss as that of a personal friend, and the
general grief was touchingly expressed by the
-\'arious bodies with which the lamented de-
ceased had been associated, and the numerous
charities to which his aid had been ever gener-
ously extended.

'Mt. Smith was born in Aliddlebury, \^er-
mont. November 30. 1834. a son of Ruel and
Judith N. (Haskell) Smith. Both parents were
natives of Massachusetts, descendants of Eng-
lish ancestors who came to America as early
as 1632. In his young manhood the father
went to Vermont, where he engaged in a mer-
cantile business. In 1840 he removed to Rhode
Island, where he died in i860. His widow, a
woman of unusual intellect and strength of
character, and whose traits were transmitted
to the son, died five years later.

Mr. Smith received a thorough practical
education in the common schools. In earlv
life he entered upon his active career as a clerk
in a general store at Woonsocket, Rhode Isl-
and, conducted by his brother. In 1857 he re-
moved to Providence, where he was engaged in
business for three years, leaving there to take
charge of the quarries of the Harris Lime Rock
Company, in Rhode Island. Earlv in 1862, the
second year of the civil war period, his patriot-
ism moved him to ofTer his services to his
country, and he secured a temporary release
from his duties to admit of his entering the
militarv service. Enlisting in the Ninth Regi-
ment Rhode Island Volunteers, he served a
term of three months in the defense of the
national capital, then jeopardized by the rebel
army. He discharged his every duty with
alacrity and fidelity, and was honorably mus-
tered out of service, returning home, and
resuming his connection with tlie quarries.
While thus engaged he was elected to the



state legislature, in which he served for one
term, with satisfaction to his constituents and
credit to himself. In the latter part of 1865
he visited Texas, with a view to locating there,
but after some months determined to return
home. Shortlv afterward he was appointed
secretary and treasurer of two silver mining
companies in Nevada, and spent three years
in that region in the interests of those corpora-
tions. He then went to St. Louis, Missouri,
where he remained nearh' a year, but without
making any permanent business arrangement.

Mr. Smith first became identified with the
city of Scranton in 1870, when he accepted the
proffered superintendency of the Mount Pleas-
ant Coal Company, a Boston (Massachusetts)
corporation having leasehold rights in mines
in Scranton. Locating in Scranton he assumed
full charge of the companv's properties, and
conducted its business until 1877. ^^^- Smith
later leased the mines in perpetuity, and oper-
ated them during the remainder of his life, and
became widely known as one of the most ex-
tensive coal operators in the Lackawanna \'al-
ley. He became president of the Meredith
Run Coal Company, and was largely interested
in the Sterrick Creek Coal Company. He was
also actively identified with various other ''n-
dustrial corporations of importance — the
Scranton Forging Comoany, the Lackawanna
Lumber Company, the Scranton Packing Com-
pany, the Lackawanna Mills, and others of
lesser note. He was likewise a foremost fieure in
various large financial enterprises. In 1872 he
became a stockholder in the Third National
Bank of Scranton. and in 1883 was elected a
director, a position which he occupied until his
death. He was one of the incorporators of the
Lackawanna Trust and Safe Deposit Company in
Alay, 1887. was its first president, and was contin-
ued as such throughout his life. He gave as dili-
gent attention to his duties in connection with
these institutions as he did to his personal af-
fairs, and his fidelity and wisdom in all per-
taining to their operations and conduct was
relied upon with implicit confidence. His
prominence in industrial and financial aflfairs
and his great ability were recognized in the es-
teem in which he was held by his associates
in the Scranton board of trade, of which body
he was elected president in 1888, and he was
twice re-elected, finally declining further ser-
vice. In 1886. as president of the board of
health, he rendered useful service in aidine in
the remedvinc: of manv evils, and in effecting



122



THE WYOMING AlSTD LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



the prevention of many violations of the sani-
tary laws.

While attention to all these varied interests
would seemingly fully tax the energies of anv
one man, Mr. Smith gave unsparingly of his
efifort, as well as of his means, not only to the
advancement of community interests along all
material lines, but was ever foremost in all
philanthropic and charitable work. His devo-
tion to the Lackawanna Hospital (in which
he was a director for many years) and his un-
failing liberality in its support, were so deeply
appreciated that the authorities of that insti-
tution, on the occasion of his death, issued a
handsomely bound memorial volume in recog-
nition of his services. He extended substantial
aid also to Hahnemann Hospital. He took
an almost pathetic interest in the Home for the
Friendless, and in ministering to its wards —
"the pitiful woman, and the children of the
needy." He was for many years the treasurer
of the Associated Charities of Scranton, and
that body, in its action with reference to his
death, bore fervent testimony to "his unbounded
charity as of the highest type," and to "his
unselfish efiforts in the alleviation of human
distress wherever found." With lofty concep-
tions of education, he bestowed his most care-
ful attention in this field to one of the most
beneficent institutions ever brought into exis-
tence — the Oral School for the Deaf. He was
one of its founders, his interest in its work be-
ginning with the inception of the scheme for
teaching the deaf by oral methods, and he was
most efficiently identified with the efifort to
establish the school in Scranton. He ever
stood with its most generous and self-sacri-
ficing patrons, equally ready with his counsel,
his personal service and his means, for the
blessing of the unfortunate class for which it
was founded. After his death the board of
directors pronounced him as "necessary to the
success of the work," and they honored the
institution and themselves by placing in its hall
the portrait of their beloved associate and "a
worthy founder." Mr. Smith ever took a warm
interest in the Scranton Public Library, and
served efficiently in the station of vice-presi-
dent from the organization of the board of
trustees to the time of his death. He was an
ardent admirer of Mr. Albright, the donor of
the library edifice, and prox'ided the handsome
portrait of that gentleman which adorns the
principal library room.

To none of the causes and interests aided
and encouraged by Mr. Smith did lie bring



perfunctory service. Whatever enlisted his
efifort he labored for with enthusiasm as well
as ripe wisdom. Withal, he was modest and
unassuming, caring nothing for the praise of
men as such, but everything for the object in
view. True, he appreciated in highest degree
the esteem of those about him, but to court
popularity by an ostentatious display of bene-
volence would have been impossible in him.
All his conduct was the natural outgrowth of
the movings of a sincere christian spirit, of an
unexpressed, but, for that reason, more elo-
quent enunciation of the fact that "they serve
God well who serve his creatures." He was
in every phase of his life what he was as a
churchman — sincere, conscientious, unselfish,
patterning after that Divine One who went
about doing good. He was a vestryman for
many years of St. Luke's (Protestant Episco-
pal) Church, and his rector, the warden and
vestrymen united in saying of him : "His
purse, his time, his labor, the best gifts of his
head and heart, have always been freely given
for the upbuilding of the church and the spread
of Christ's kingdom among men. He was a
helper to every good work. Such a record is
indeed rare, and must, we hope and believe,
be a constant incentive to all who knew and
loved him, to earnest efiforts to continue the
work which he so faithfully and usefully car-
ried on." His personal traits were such as to
make him delightfully companionable. A
lover of the best in literature and art, with sin-
cere admiration for the true and beautiful, and
with excellent conversational powers and well
trained judgment, he was instructive without
assuming to teach, and inspiring without ef-
fort to impress. In his political convictions he
was a Republican, firmly holding to the cardi-
nal principles of his party, but in the same
spirit in which he discharged life's duties in all
other relations — with all regard for others, and
with no thought of self-seeking.

The sad intelligence of the death of Mr.
Smith came to the community as a great shock,
occurring as it did, unexpectedly and far from
home. In February, i8g8, with his wife, he
went to Florida for a brief respite from busi-
ness. Late in March they were in St. Louis,
Missouri, visiting relatives. There Mr. Smith
was taken ill with neuralgia of the heart. On
Friday, March 25, about six o'clock ii^ the
morning, he awoke with a paroxysm of pain,
and died instantly without uttering a word.
The remains, accompanied by Mrs. Smith and
other relatives, were conveyed tO' Scranton in



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



123:



the private car of President Robinson, of the
St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. His body
was interred March 29, the Rev. Dr. Israel
officiating', the active pallbearers being selected
from among those who had been in his employ
in life.

The tributes paid to the memory of the de-
ceased by many organizations with which he
had been connected, and the charities to which
he had contributed, were numerous and fer-
vent. The Board of Trade, the directors of the
Third National Bank, the Lackawanna Trust
and Safe Deposit Company and the Scranton
Lace Curtain Company bore testimony to his
intergity of character, and his activity in mat-
ters connected with the furtherance of the in-
dustry and prosperity of Scranton and vicinity,
and whose life was an inspiration to all who
knew him. The expressions of the authorities
of the various charitable institutions, the As-
sociated Charities, the Lackawanna Hospital,
the Hahnemann Hospital and the Home for
the Friendless ; of the directors of the Pennsyl-
vania Oral School for the Deaf, and of the
Scranton Public Library ; and of the rector
and officers of St. Luke's Church — these have
been epitomized in the body of this narrative,
all expressive of gratitude to the warm-hearted
philanthropist for his constant and liberal
benefactions, and his personal service so freely
rendered. His personal traits were feelingly
touched upon by the Scranton Club, in whose
creation and government he was a leader: "To
speak of our loss is but to echo what has been
felt by so many organizations with purposes
widely divergent. Memories of his genial pres-
ence recall a personality rich in the qualities
that make for fellowship, the flower of all inter-
course between man and man : and the Scran-
ton Club will ever guard those memories, not
only as golden links to the receding years, but
also as an inspiration toward the maintenance
of the highest ideals of companionship."

In 18=17 Mr. Smith, while residing in Woon-
socket, Rhode Island, married Miss Annie E.
Jenckes. daughter of George W. C. Jenckes, of
that city. Of this marriage were born two chil-
dren, both of whom died young, and the mother
died in 1861. In 1871 Mr. Smith married Miss
Abby H. Richmond, daughter of Lorenzo Rich-
mond, of Woodstock, Vermont. This was a
most happy union. A lady of all womanly
graces and cultivated mind, Mrs. Smith was
in complete harmony with her husband in dis
position, tastes and love for good works, and



were as one in thoughtfulness for the welfare-
of others, particularly for the needy and dis-
tressed, and counselled fully together in the
disposal of their means in all charitable ways.
It is pleasurable to note that Mrs. Smith has
continued to bestow her benevolence with the
same graciousness and liberality, and in the
same unostentatious manner, many of her gifts
reaching the beneficiaries so quietly that none
others knew of them. A splendid work, the con-
ception of Mr. Smith, is now completed imder
the direction of Mrs. Smith since his death —
the W. T. Smith Memorial Manual Training
School. This imposing structure stands on
Adams street, adjoining the new public school
building. It is an architectural ornament to the
city, and is a model of utility, combining every
advantage suitable to its purpose as an unsur-
passable addition to the higher educational
institutions -of the state. So do the works of
a good man live after him — in his own deeds,
the inspiration born of his example, and the
tribute paid to his memory:

"A seed God suffers one to sow.

Others will reap ; and. when the harvests grow.

He giveth increase through all coming years, _

And lets men reap in joy seed that was sown in tears."

HON. PATRICK DeLACY, of Scranton,
who is widely known and greatly respected
throughout the greater portion of the Keystone
state, but more particularly in his own and ad-
jacent counties, where as a civilian he has done
good and honest service for the development and
progress of the commonwealth, was among the
brave men who voluntarily sacrificed every pro-
ject that was dear to them for the integrity of the
Union and who served heroically throughout the
entire period of the Civil war. He is a member of
an old Xorman family that settled in Ireland in
the twelfth century, but returned to France four-
centuries later, returning to Ireland to participate
in the revolution of 1798. His parents, William
and Catherine (Boyle) DeLacy, were natives, re-
spectively, of county Wexford and Kilkenny, Ire-
land, and were united in marriage in Carbondale,
Pennsylvania. August i, 1832.

Hon. Patrick DeLacy, second son of William
?nd Catherine (Boyle) DeLacy. was born in Car-
bondale, Luzerne (now Lackawanna) county,
Pennsylvania, November 25, 1835. When he was
about eight years of age his parents removed to
Slocum Hollow, now the city of Scranton, and
after a residence of one year there moved to
until he attained the age of seventeen years Pat-



124



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Daleville, Covington township, where thev pur-
chased a farm in the beech woods. From then
rick DeLacy worked on the farm in summer and
attended school in the winter. He then went to
Dunmore and secured emplo_vment in the store of
the late Judge Collins, where he remained until
the property was destroyed by fire, after which
he worked as a laborer at loading coal in the
mines. The following May he returned to his
father's farm and remained thereon until the
spring of 1852, when he began an apprenticeship
with John Meehan to learn the trade of tanner
and currier. In the spring of the following year
work was begun on the Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western Railroad, the line running close to the
tannery, and the late William Dale and John
Meehan established a large store, wherein Mr.
DeLacy was employed a portion of the time, the
remainder being devoted to the superintendencv
of the tannery, he being placed in full charge of
that branch of the business. Later he worked
under instructions at the currying business for
0"e year, and was then employed as a journevman
currier in Kingston and vicinity until 1858.
Shortly after his marriage to Rebecca E. Wonder,
Mr. DeLacy moved to Newark, New Jersey,
where he followed his trade for one vear, and
then accepted a position as foreman in the tan-
nery of A. G. Hull at Bushkill, Pike county,
Pennsylvania, retaining the same for one and a
half years.

At the time of the breaking out of the Civil
war Mr. DeLacy started to raise a companv in
Pike and Monroe counties, but word being- re-
ceived that no volunteers would be accepted he
disbanded the company and removed to Trucks-
ville, Luzerne county, where he leased a tannery
of Isaac Rice and conducted the same for a short
period of time. He then abandoned it, turning
it over to his father-in-law, Jeremiah A. Wonder,
to tan out and finish the stock, sell the same, turn
the money over to his wife, Mrs. DeLacy,' who
was breaking up her home and going to live with
her parents, and he entered the army as a private
in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-third
Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, under Cap-
tain Charles Conyngham. The companv was or-
ganized in July, 1862,. and mustered' into the
United States service in August, 1862. He car-
ried a musket for two years and three months as
a private, corporal and sergeant, was promoted
to sergeant-major in the fall of 1864, was com-
missioned as lieutenant in the spring of 1865,
was recommended to General Dana Idv General
Bragg to be appointed captain for nieritorious



conduct at \'aughn Road, which he did a few
months later, but the order for muster out came
shortly afterward and therefore he was never
mustered out as captain, although he performed
the duties of a commissioned officer during al-
most the entire Wilderness campaign, and a great
portion of the time was in command of Com-
pany A, also assisting in the duties Orf sergeant-
maj or.

Although seriously wounded twice, Lieuten-
ant DeLacy was never absent from skirmish or
battle in which the regiment took part, and which
numbered over twenty general battles and numer-
ous skirmishes, and was also in many skirmishes
in which the regiment was not actively engaged.
On May 6, 1864. in the battle of the Wilderness,
he captured a rebel battle flag as he led the charge
that recaptured the line of works from Long-
street's corps, which they had just previously
taken from General Hancock's men, and for
which congress presented him with a medal of
honor. On May 8, 1864, assisted bv George W.
Engle, he saved the colors of the Second Wis-
consin Regiment (see Major Stine's History A.
of P.) from being captured, this being another
incident of the battle of the Wilderness. On May
10, after the charge of the regiment in the even-
ing, a space between the two armies, where many
of the boys lay wounded, and which was covered
with dry leaves and slashed timber, caught fire
from the firing of the enemy's artillery, and as
the wind was toward the Union line the fire made
rapid progress in the directon of the wounded
men. The situation was alarming. Lieutenant
DeLacy suggested to the commanding officer.
Colonel Charles M. Conyngham, that fire be
fought with fire as he had often seen it done
when a boy on the farm. It was a hazardous
undertaking, as it was directly betw een the armies
and in line with the fire of the enemy, and the
colonel hesitated to give permission thinking that
the men would not live to accomplish it, but fin-
ally he gave the required permission and told
Lieutenant DeLacy to call for volunteers to assist
him. Two responded to the call — Roger Cox, of
Scranton, Pennsylvania, now an engineer on the
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, and
John Otto, of Elyria, Colorado, both of Company
E. These three moved out under heavy fire to
the tops of the slashed timber to within a hundred
yards of the enemy's main line ; when they came
up to the burning brush the enemy could not help
but see them, but they kept on scraping up the
dry leaves and brush, catching up burning brands
and back-firino-. In this way the\- succeeded in



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS..



preventing the fire from extending any nearer to
the wounded, who were being carried back in
the meantime, and it is the belief of all three that
the enemy spared them, knowing they were en-
gaged in such a humane undertaking. Both of
the comrades of Lieutenant DeLacy are still
living at the places named.

(Jn May 23, 1864, Lieutenant DeLacy saved
the colors of the One Hundred and Forty-third
Regiment at North Anna by rallying a few men
around them and repulsing .the charge of the
enemy on the right flank ; the main part of the
regiment by order of General Bragg had retired
to a ridge about four hundred yards back. Not
being aware of the order of General Bragg, Lieu-
tenant DeLacy rallied about forty men around the
colors at an old fence, running at right angles
with the position the regiment had held. By
rapid firing thev checked the advance of the ene-
my on the right flank, causing them to halt to
reform, and at this moment their own artillery
opened on them with grape and cannister, also
the infantry back of them, they being between the
two lines, and in order to get back to their own
line they had to face a terrific fire. Lieutenant
DeLacy rushed ahead and called out to the men
along the line to cease firing and let them in,
which they did, for owing to the darkness and
smoke of the battle it was impossible to distin-
guish between friend or foe, and when they
reached the line Lieutenant DeLacy had the col-
ors and four men. The little party was joined
by Lieutenant Frank H. Montanj'a, who stayed
with them. A few minutes later the man who
carried the colors was shot ; after Lieutenant
DeLacy had held the colors for some time Merrit
Coughlan, of Company K, stepped up to him and
requested to be allowed to hold the flag, saying :
"DeLacy, I want to reedem myself ; I will hold
that flag until I am shot to pieces." Previous to
that time he had had some trouble in Company
K by reason of which he had been reduced to
the ranks. In passing the colors to him Lieuten-
ant DeLacy said : "Merrit, I can trust yoit." He
held them faithfully until the battle was over.

The following morning, the enemy having
been repulsed the little company found the regi-
ment. Major C. K. Hughes in command, and he
was overjoyed when presented with the colors,
which he thought was lost in the battle of the
previous evening. On June 18, 1864, Lieutenant
DeLacy had command of Company A in the
charge in front of Petersburg, and when they
had nearly reached the enemy's line of works the
division to the left gave way and they were com-



pelled to fall back a short distance and, lie down.
Lieutenant DeLacy was sent back twice to report
and receive orders to the division commander,
General Griffin, the second time having addi-
tional orders from Colonel Glenn of the One
Hundred and Forty-ninth, then in command of
the One Hundred and Forty-third, Colonel
Reichard of the latter named having been
wounded in the charge. The position of the brig-
ade was so perilous after the charge that they
could neither go backward or forward, but had
to lie down and try to hold the position as di-
rected. Lieutenant DeLacy had to pass from the,
front to the rear line on the ridge back of them,
over a quarter of a mile, under a terrific fire each
time for four times until the darkness became so
dense that it was impossible to have the wounded
removed from the field, after which the brigade
was drawn back. Colonel Chamberlain, the com-
mander of the brigade, had fallen as was sup-
posed mortally wounded, but this was not so, and
for his bravery in that charge he was appointed
by General Grant brigadier-general on the field.



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 26 of 130)