Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 29 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 29 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was born and reared upon the home farm
in county Antrim, but the business op-
portunities of the new world attracted him
in early manhood, and in 1836 he crossed
the .A.thntic. A short residence in New-
burg, New York, was followed by removal
to Harford, Susquehanna county. Pennsvlvania,
where he made purchase of a tract of land, to the
further development and improvement of which



he gave his attention for a number of years, his
farm becoming one of the best cultivated in the
district. In 1849 he purchased a farm at New
]Milford, Pennsylvania, whereon he resided until
his death, which occurred in 1872, when he was
seventy-eight years of age. In early manhood he
wedded Marv Leslie, bo.rn near Coleraine, county
Antrim, Ireland, a daughter of John Leslie, a
farmer of that locality. She was of Scotch line-
age, however, for her grandfather, ]\Ialcolm Les-
lie, was a highlander of Scotland. J\Irs. Hannah
departed this life in 1877, ^t the age of seventy-
six vears. Ten children were born to Archibald
and Alary (Leslie) Hannah: William J., died in
Plvmouth, 1872 : Margaret, married William
Ross, and died at Newburg, New York ; Alex-
ander, a farmer of New Milford, Pennsylvania;
Daniel, who engaged in the practice of law in
Scranton from 1867 until 1884, and is now living
retired at New jMilford ; Leslie, died in 1863;
Hugh 'SI., of whom later; Fannie, died at the age
of eighteen years; ^Nlary A., died at the age of
fourteen years ; James, departed this life at the
age of fifteen years ; and Elizabeth, wife oi David
McConnell, of New Milford.

Hugh M. Hannah, reared in his native town-
ship, was educated in the public schools of Har-
ford and New Milford until 1863, when he at-
tended the r^Iillersville State Normal School,
spending a portion of the three ensuing years in
that institution. When not engaged in the pur-
suit of knowledge himself, his time was devoted
to instruction in the schools of New Milford and
Lebanon, Pennsylvania, and following his normal
course he became principal at Schuylkill Haven,
where he remained for five years. He regarded
his educational labors, however, merely as an
initial step toward the practice of law, and in
1869 he became a student in the office of Loomis
and Hannah, well known attorneys at Scranton,
the junior partner being his brother. Careful
preparatory reading was followed by his admission
to the bar at Wilkes-Barre in 1870, and im-
mediately thereafter he joined his brother in the
formation of the firm of D. and H. M. Hannah,
with offices at 222 Lackawanna avenue, Scran-
ton. Their business relationship was maintained
until the retirement of the brother from active
law practice in 1884, since which time Hugh M.
Hannah has been alone. His reputation as a law-
ver has been won through earnest, honest labor,
and his standing at the bar is a merited tribute to
his abilitv. He now has a very large practice, and
his careful preparation of cases is supplemented
by a power of argument and a faithful presenta-
tion of his points in the courtroom, so thst he



136



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



never fails to impress court or jury and seldom
fails to gain the verdict desired. He has more
than local reputation as a lawyer, and although
his devotion to his client's interest is proverbial he
never forgets that he owes a higher allegiance to
the majesty of the law. For three years he oc-
cupied the position of city attorney of Scranton,
and he is connected with the Lackawanna County
Law & Library Association. While the practice
of law has been his real life work, he has also
become identified with public enterprises having
important bearing upon the substantial improve-
ment of Scranton. He was one of the promoters
•of the movement resulting in the laying out of
twenty acres on Washington avenue to. be devoted
to park and residence properties known as Rich-
mond Park, and he has derived no personal bene-
fit, but which have been of marked value to the
city.

Mr. Hannah married, in Philadelphia, Eliza-
beth Hindman, born near Oxford, Chester county,
Pennsylvania, a daughter of David Hindman, who
followed the occupation of farming there, and who
was of English and Scotch descent, while his
religious faith was that of the Presbyterian
Church. Mr. and Mrs. Hannah have two chil-
dren : Fannie, educated in Wilson College at
Chambersburg ; and Fred, who is now attending
Mercersburg Academy. The family attend the
First Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Hannah
served as trustee for a number of years. His
political allegiance is given to the Democracy, but
the demands of a large and constantly increasing
'law practice have left him little time for political
activity.

SAMUEL G. BARKER, deceased, during
a long and active career was widely known as a
man of varied abilities and unusual enterprise.
He was actively identified with some of the most
important manufacturing interests of the valley,
and was held in honor for his many excellencies
of personal character.

■Mr. Barker was born in Kingston, Pennsyl-
vania, May 22, 1821. He inherited mechanical
tastes and abilities of a high order. His father,
William Barker, was a pioneer scale maker, set-
ting up shops in Kingston as early as the year
t8oo, and the sen, as a lad, became interested in
the operations which engaged the attention of the
sire, and in his dav (as did his own son after
him) f:ided in making the family name synony-
mous with perfection in scales. Samuel G.
Barker graduated from his father's shops an ac-
complished mechanic, and in 1847 was called to



Scranton to take charge of the ma-^hinery in the
mills of the Lackawanna Iron and Steel Com-
pany. The mills were of a primitive description,
but Mr. Barker developed them into a condition
of marked efficiency, by the introduction of new
methods and the construction of machinery of his
own designing for special purposes. He re-
mained with the Lackawanna Company for sev-
eral years, and on leaving it entered the service
of the Pennsylvania Coal Company at Dun-
more, with which he remained for four years,
ending in 1865, his retirement being for the pur-
pose of giving his entire attention to scale man-
ufacturing.

During his entire continuance with the two
corporations before named, Mr. Barker main-
tained his connection with the scale manufactory
at Kingston. After the death of his father he suc-
ceeded to the sole management, and removed the
works to Scranton. For several years the Sev-
enth street site was occupied, but the business ex-
panded to such proportions that larger facilities
were imperatively demanded, and as preliminarv
to the contemplated enlargement Mr. Barker
brought into partnership with himself his son,
Frank S. Barker, in the firm of S. G. Barker &
Son. A new location was decided upon, at Car-
bon street, near its junction with the Providence
road, and on the line of the Ontario & Western
Railroad, and here was built up a plant covering
about three acres of ground. The line of manu-
facture included coal screens and railroad track
scales, and the latter soon came into almost ex-
clusive use throughout the anthracite coal fields,
besides extending into all parts of the country,
and particularly in the mining regions. The man-
agement of Mr. Barker extended to every detail
of the business, and he was continually seeking
for improved methods of production, at various
times designing machinery to facilitate its man-
ufacture, and constantly adding to the life of the
product by improvements of his own working
out. The remainder of his life was occupied in
this industry, and he gave to it his unabated in-
terest and oversight until within a year of his
death, when his waning powers admonished him
to dismiss as a burden the pursuit which in his
vigor he had regarded almost as a recreation,
however heavy the burden of labor and responsi-
bility mav have been. October 18, i8go, he ex-,
perienced a stroke of paralysis. His recovery in
some degree quickly followed, and he resumed his
duties in the office of the manufactory, but with
diminished energy, and it was evident to his fam-
ily and friends that his health had been per-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



137



manentlv impaired. Froni this time he gradually
failed, and his death occurred November 2, 1891,
in the seventy-first year of his age.

Mr. Barker was prominently identified with
the Masonic fraternity, in which he was held in
peculiar honor. He was one of the oldest mem-
bers of Peter Williamson Lodge. Xo. t^it,. Free
and Accepted Masons, and was affiliated with
Lackawanna Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and
CoiCur de Lion Commandery, No. 17, Knights
Templar. He was held in high regard through-
out the community, not alone for his excellent
business abilities and stirring enterprise, but for
those traits of personal character which win the
confidence and esteem of all who come within
reach. He was in all ways loyal to his city, and
e.xerted himself earnestly in advocacy of what-
ever would add to its prestige and extend the
range of its importance. In his home circle he
was the model husband and parent, unwavering
in his devotion, and unsparing in his solicitude
for the comfort and happiness of wife and chil-
dren.

In 1856 'Sir. Barker married Miss Susan E.
Kidder, of Wilkes-Barre, who, with two sons and
two daughters survive the lamented head of the
family. The children are : Mrs. William H.
Taylor, Miss Alice Barker, Frank S. and Harry
C. Barker. Mr. Barker had two brothers who
were widely known clergymen : the late Rev.
Abel Barker, whose ministrations extended to
various portions of the Wyoming Valley ; and the
Rev. Thomas B. Barker, now both deceased.

FR.\NK S. BARKER. Yoimg in years.
Frank S. Barker is widely known as head of one
of- the most important industrial enterprises of
the valley, and which is of note as having been
founded by a member of his own family, in so
early a day that its record covers a period of
more than a century, without ever once passing
out of the control of a Barker. Mr. Barker has
not only proven himself a worthy successor to
those who have gone before him, but he has de-
veloped such public spirit and business-like qual-
ities that he has been for several years an im-
portant factor in the general affairs of the city
of Scranton.

He was born in Carbondale, Pennsylvania,
jNIarch 16, 1863, son of Samuel G. and Susan E.
(Kidder) Barker. He was a mere child when
his parents removed to Scranton, and he there re-
ceived his education in the public schools. He
early gave evidence of having inherited the me-
chanical dualities which distinguished his Errand-
parent, ^^'illiam Barker, founder of the Barker



Scale Works, and his father, Samuel G. Barker,
who, following in the footsteps of his sire, pushed
the enterpriseinto a larger field of usefulness. In
his bovhood Frank S. Barker was employed for
about three vears in weighing coal for the Dela-
ware & Hudson Company, but left this occupa-
tion when his father dropped other business en-
gaoements in order to devote himself entirely to
the conduct of the Barker Scale Works. It was
then that voung Barker came into the shops, and
under the' skillful and sympathetic mastership of
his father, (who was already regarding the
youth as his own worthy successor) gained a
thorough practical knowledge of every detail of
the biisiness, whether in the factory or office,
'mere was entire accord and community of pur-
pose between the two, and the son early proved
himself a most efficient aid to the father, assist-
ing him in the working out of his new designs,
mechanical and managerial, and introducing in-
novations of his own, and whose practicability
won for them immediate adoption. .\nd so, in
considerable degree, each was an aid to the other,
and the vounger man was in all practical regards
a partner of "the elder long before the name of
S. G. Barker & Son became known to the business
world, as it did when young Barker attained his
majority. The two were equally concerned and
labored with equal zeal and unanimity of pur-
pose in the larger development of their manufac-
turing enterprise, including the erection of the
new "plant and the consequent extension of its
manufacturing facihties. Since 1891, when oc-
curred the death of the elder Barker, Frank _S.
Barker has borne the labors and responsibilities
of the business, together with his brother, H. C.
Barker, and has witnessed a continued expansion
as the result of their efforts. Among the inno-
vations of his own making was the adding of
structural iron to the list of products of the
Barker works, and which has already found a
large and constantly increasing market.

Perhaps no better evidence could be adduced
of the high standing of Mr. Barker among the
men of affairs of the city of Scranton than the
fact of his connection with its board of trade, a
body to whom is due more than to all other con-
certed effort that stimulation of public spirit and
local pride which has borne fruit in the inbring-
ing of fresh capital and the upbuilding of new
industrial and financial enterprises. Of this body
l\Ir. Barker has been an honored and efficient
member for several years past, and has served
upon its manufacturers' committee, and also upon
its committee on legislation and taxes — the two
most important of all. Intensely interested in ed-



138



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



ucational affairs, he has served continuously for
nine years upon the board of school control, and
only retired from that body when his selection
for another place necessitated his resignation.
While a member of the school board he was for
several years chairman of the teachers' com-
mittee, and also served upon other important
committees, including those on the training school
and on the high school. His retirement from the
school board was coincident with his appointment
by ]\Iayor W. L. Co.nnell to the position of city
treasurer to fill out the unexpired term of the late
Edmund J. Robinson, and on its completion he
was appointed for a full term of three years by
Mayor A. T. Connell. So bright a record of use-
ful and honorable service affords excellent prom-
ise of an everbroadening field of effort, and com-
mensurate reward in the appreciation of his fel-
low-citizens.

JOSEPH M. GRIFFIN, a well known resi-
dent of Scranton, whose career has been char-
acterized by the utmost integrity and upright-
ness, and who has been zealous in all good works
for the promotion of the interests of the city and
the welfare of the citizens, was born in Provi-
dence, Pennsylvania, June 28, 1855, a son of Levi
and Betsey A. (Travis) Griffin, and grandson of
Joseph Griffin, a native of Connecticut, who was
the father of several children, among whom was
Sarah and Levi.

Levi Griffin ( father) was born in New York
state in 1815. In 1829, when fourteen years of
age, he removed to Clarks Green, Pennsylvania.
He was a carpenter by trade, and as a result of
his extensive business as contractor and builder
became the owner of considerable property in
Clarks Green, where he was prominent in all en-
terprises which aided the moral, educational and
social welfare of its citizens. He was a worthy
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. By
his marriage to Betsey A. Travis, a native of
Clarks Green, Pennsylvania, several children
were born, three of whom attained years of ma-
turity, namely: Henry, deceased; Mary J., de-
ceased ; and Joseph M. Mr. Griffin died Sep-
tember 12, 1901, aged eighty-six years; his wife
passed away in 1878, aged sixty years.

Joseph M. Griffin was reared and educated in
his native town. Providence. He gained his first
practical experience in business life by learning
the trade of stationary engineering, which he fol-
lowed for seven years, abandoiuing it for the trade
of carpenter, and this in turn he gave up to take
up his present work, general contracting and



rigging, in 1884. He is one of the progressive-
men in his line of business, which consists in re-
moving buildings and erecting machinery of all
kinds, electrical, steam and gasoline, which is-
well performed. His business takes him all over
his native state, and he has also traveled over con-
siderable of New York state. In 1899 he took
up his residence in Scranton, erecting a beautiful
and modernly constructed house at No. 1 103 Am-
herst street.

November 4, 1877, Mr. Griffin married Aliss
Alice Philips, daughter of Aaron and Linda
Philips, and a native of Benton Center, Lack-
awanna county, Pennsylvania. Four children
were the issue of this union, three of whom are
living, namely: Harry, born September 20, 1878,
engaged in business with his father ; Theodore A.,
born September 11, 1881, a painter; and Arthur,
born December 13, 1885, a clerk. Mr. and ^Irs.
Griffin are Spiritualists in their religious belief.
They are worthy and conscientious people, who
command the confidence and respect of the com-
munity in which they live.

RAYiMOND A. BRINK. Prominent among
the leading florists of Scranton is Raymond A.
Brink. His grandfather, George W. Brink, was
a farmer ; he served three years in the army dur-
ing the Civil war, and was wounded while facings
the enemy in a terrific charge. He married
Rosina Shephardson, and their children were :
Arvine, Charles, deceased; Mate, and Otis D.,
mentioned at length hereinafter. Mr. and Mrs.
Brink are both deceased, having passed away
rich in the esteem and love of all who knew them.

Otis D. Brink, son of George W. and Rosina
(Shephardson) Brink, was born in North Jack-
son, Susquehanna county. He was a farmer
and a worthy citizen, possessing the sincere re-
spect and full confidence of his neighbors. He
married Eva S.. born in Susquehanna county,
daughter of Benjamin and ]\Iinerva (Percy)
Baanker, the former a farmer and a man of in-
fluence. Their other children were Samuel,
Colonal and Sumner. Mr. and Mrs. Brink were
the parents of one child, Raymond A., mentioned
at length hereinafter. Mr. Brink died April 26,
1904, at the comparatively early age of forty-
eight. His decease was felt as a loss by all who-
knew him. but fell with peculiar severity upon his
family to whom he was singularly devoted. His
widow is still living.

Raymond A. Brink, son of Otis D. and Eva
S. (Banker) Brink, was born February 4, 1878,,
at Harford, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania,.




f-„j' /, fiCiwt) /3^r,OL «^- ynt



j0iCi^(^/i^



-^^^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



139*



and received his education in the common schools
of his native town. He was a close student of
nature, and in early life entered the service of G.
R. Clark & Company, leading florists of Scran-
ton, with whom he remained fourteen vears, rising
from the position of an ordinary hand ta that of
assistant foreman. In the course of time he be-
came foreman, and has now for some time been
senior partner in the firm of Brink & Company.
In addition to. being an expert florist Mr. Brink
is an experienced and practical landscape gar-
dener. He makes a specialty of vegetables, and
also of carnations and bedding plants. The firm
has ten thousand square feet under glass, and is
conducting a flourishing business. Mr. Brink
has thoroughly mastered every detail of his call-
ing, to which he is enthusiastically devoted. He
is a member of the Knights of Maccabees, the
Knights of Pythias, and the Junior Order of
United American Mechanics.

JOHN FLYXX, well known in this section
of the state as a man of large afifairs, as well as
for uprightness and benevolence, was a fine ex-
ample of the Irish character. Possessing all the
sterling traits of his ancestry, he readily adapted
himself to the environments of his adopted coun-
try, and through his own unaided efTorts, by in-
dustry, economy and wise judgment, attained a
position of independence in life, and left to his
family the priceless heritage of an honored name.

He was born in Crossmolina, county Mayo,
Ireland, about the year 1836, came to the United
States in his young manhood, and entered upon
a mining career in the Lackawanna Valley. At
one time he engaged in farming, but pastoral life
was entirely unsuited to his active nature. iMr.
Flynn was a man of great executive ability, strict
integrity, unfailing devotion io the interests com-
mitted to him, and was for years the trusted
foreman of leading anthracite coal companies.
Subsequently he formed a partnership with John
A. Alears. under the firm name of Mears &
Flynn, taking contracts in railroad building.
L'nder his personal supervision was constructed
part of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Railroad extension from Binghamton to Buffalo,
and also a section of the Erie & Wyoming Rail-
road, both pieces of work being pronounced by
competent judges to be the most complete and
perfect on either line. Later they engaged in the
coal mining business, opening and operating the
Old Forge collieries, and eventually secured the
immense coal interests known as the Newton Coal
Company, and were most successful in all their
undertakings. As an authority on the subject of



coal mining, Mr. Flynn had no peer. Although-
his employees numbered several hundred, nearly
every man was personally known to him, and sa
vigilant was he for their safety, knowing the dan-
gers of the coal mines, that an accident of any
kind or loss of life was a very rare occurrence. It
was a saying among his men that "Yo.u could'
not be hurt and work for John Flynn."

He was also financially interested in various
other enterprises, among them the West Side
Bank, in which he was a stockholder. He ac-
quired his property, which amounted to about
half a million dollars, through strict attention to^
whatever business he was engaged in, and without
a taint of dishonesty or duplicitv attaching to it in
the slightest degree. "His word was his bond,"
was always said of him, and none other was ever-
required. He stood for the best, and the very
nobility of his own moral character had the effect
of raising others to his standard ; his presence,
even, was a power for good.

Personally, he was warm-hearted and sym-
pathetic. The poor and distressed always found
in him a friend and father, whom they had no
fear to approach, and who was ever ready to assist
them by word and means. His benefactions were-
liberally bestowed upon those charitable institu-
tions that have for their object the alleviation of
human suft'ering and the care of the widow and
the orphan, yet so unostentatious was he that few
knew to whom they were indebted for assistance.
He was a member of the board of trustees of the-
Pittston Hospital Association, and was most ac-
tive in securing subscriptions to its building fund
and in otherwise furthering its interests and add-
ing to its usefulness. He steadfastly adhered to-
the religion of his forefathers and was a devout
member of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church.
A strictly temperate man himself, it always
grieved him to see a fellow creature the victim
of intemperance, and realizing the injury and loss
it was to his workmen, in the hope of helping them
and bettering their condition, he founded the
Father ^Matthew Temperance Society. It grew
from the beginning, became a great power and"
men were proud to belong to it. When it was
well established Mr. Flynn withdrew from it, as
he was no society man, but always interested him-
self in it by bringing in new members and helping-
and encouraging it in every way. There are
manv men in our midst, men of honor, who say
they owe him a great debt of gratitude, for with-
out his helping hand their lives would have been
wrecked.

In was in his home, however, that one most-
felt his genial, kindlv nature. To bring his-



140



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



friends into tliis quiet sanctuary was his greatest
pleasure. A few years after coming to this coun-
try he married Miss Mary Clark, also a native of
county Mayo, Ireland, who was eminently worthy
by qualities of mind and heart to be his helpmate.
A devoted wife, a tender and loving mother, a
friend to all, she ably assisted Mr. Flynn in all his
interests. Eleven children blessed their union,
seven of whom grew to manhood and woman-
hood : Mary. James, Matthew, Agnes, Edward,
Nellie and Frank. The daughters were all liber-
ally educated at St. Cecilia's Academy, Scranton,
which is conducted by the Sisters of the Immacu-
late Heart of Mary, one of the finest teaching or-
ders in the states. The, eldest. Miss Mary, be-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 29 of 130)