Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 38 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 38 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


as manager of the old Robinson plant. Mr.
Robinson also became prominently identified with
numerous corporations abroad as well as at home.
He was a director in the Traders' National Bank
of Scranton, and the Lackawanna National Bank
at West Seneca, New York, as well as a director
and large stockholder in various other local in-
stitutions ; and was president of the Pomeroy
Water Company, at Pomeroy, Ohio.

Mr. Robinson was widel}' popular, and an
influential figure in public life. He was present-
ed by the Democrats in 1896 as the strongest and
most available candidate for city controller, in



opposition to F. J. Widmayer, in the memorable-
Ripple- Bailey campaign. Although reluctant to.
enter the race, Mr. Robinson finally consented to
accept the nomination, made an active and ag-
gressive canvass, and was triumphantly elected,
his personal popularity finding attestation in the
fact that he led his party ticket by several hun-
dred votes, and secured the election of several
other candidates upon his ticket who would have-
been defeated had he not headed it. Three years
later he was made the Democratic nominee for
city treasurer against T. R. Brooks, and was
again elected. So efficienth did he discharge
the duties of the office that, when the Ripper bill
went into effect, Recorder Moir did not disturb
Mr. Robinson, and he remained in the treasurer-
ship until, later. Recorder W. L. Council ap-
pointed him, the effect being his retention in the
office for a year longer than the term for which
he was elected. In 1903 he was a candidate for
mayor, but, while a majority of the delegates
elected to convention were favorable to him, the-
party management was adverse, and succeeded in
defeating Mr. Robinson by effecting the nomina-
tion of J. J. Fahy, but only after a most de-
termined contest. In all his political transactions,
he was as distinctly honorable as in his personal
concerns, scorning all that savored of trickery
or duplicity.

j\Ir. Robinson was a man of great liberality
and public spirit, and rendered liberal aid to var-
ious charitable institutions and organizations, and
every worthy cause or deserving individual who
appealed to him. He was an active member of
many fraternal and social orders, particularly
those on the South Side. He was an enthus-
iastic patron of athletic sports and on several oc-
casions assisted materially in the promotion of
professional base ball in Scranton. His own
personal pleasure was principally in driving, and
he was owner of some of the most stylish and
best bred horses in the city. Splendidly edu-
cated, he was a lover of art, and was its apprecia-
tive patron. His personal character was a splen-
did compound of honor, truth, affection, sym-
jiathy and genuine manliness, and to all these at-
tributes added a congeniality of disposition which
made him a rare leader of young men, and the
soul of whatever social circle he sat amongst.
This was the niore noticeable because of his en-
tire freedom from indulgence in what is so sel-
dom disassociated from sociality, intoxicating
beverages and tobacco. With all his large
wealth he was broadly demonstrative, and was
the same considerate gentleman to the working-





^i^rvcA




THE ^^'YOJMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



i«i



man that he was to the miUionaire. To all these
■admirable traits of character he added a touching
devotion to his mother, whom he always consult-
ed when considering any momentous concern,
whether it affected his personal fortunes or the
interests of the community. Hers was a rich
reward in the honor which all accorded to her
son, and in the tributes of affection which the
city paid to his memory when death claimed its
shining mark. During the hours of the funeral,
business was practically suspended. Millionaire
and laborer alike came to the house of mourning
to give expression to their sorrow and sympathy,
and a multitude of beautiful floral decorations
were brought to the last resting place of the la-
mented dead.

Mr. Robinson died June 12, 1904. His fu-
neral was attended by a large assemblage of the
best citizens, including the city officials in a body,
and members of the various societies with which
the deceased was connected. The officiating
clergyman, the Rev. W. A. Nordt, delivered a
fitting eulogy upon the useful life and excellent
personal characteristics of the deceased, voicing
the public expression in the reflection that his
many honors and the high esteem in which he
was held, measured the reward he would enjov in
the life to come. j\lr. Robinson was survived by
his mother and two brothers, Otto and Philip,
and a sister ]\Iagdalena.

FEXWICK L. PECK, numbered among the
most active and enterprising men of large affairs
in the city of Scranton, is also a representative
type of that splendid class of northerners which
has contributed so largely to the industrial and
commercial development of the far south, his ac-
tivities in that region extending along manufac-
turing, transportation and financial lines of much
importance.

He is descended from an excellent New Eng-
land ancestry, whose members were among the
early colonists of Massachusetts, Connecticut and
Penns}-lvania, and among whom were many who
arrived at distinction in the professions and in
public life. Mr. Peck traces his descent from
John Peck, of Mendon, ]\Iassachusetts, who died
in 1725. Of his six children the eldest, Simon,
born March 27, 1693, was the father of seven
•children, among whom was Abraham, .\braham
was born January 14, 1723, and settled in Col-
■eraine, Massachusetts, where he died, Julv 18,
1798. He married Mary Stuart, of London-
derry. New Hampshire, born December 21, 1724.
Of his eight children, Abraham lived in Col-
eraine township, where he died ]\larch i, 1830.



His first wife was Arathusa Bullard, who was
born in Northampton, Massachusetts, February
3, 1790. His second wife was a Airs. Plympston,
of Wardsboro, who died in 1843.

Samuel, son of the last named Abraham
Peck, was bom in Coleraine township, Franklin
county, Massachusetts, and was a farmer. He
removed in 1820 to Greenfield, Susquehanna
county, and about 1829 to Blakeley. In 1834 he
located in Lackawanna county, and the place of
his settlement received the name o.f Peckville in
his honor. He there engaged in a flour milling
and lumber business which he pursued with suc-
cess, associating with himself his sons, J. Wilson
Peck and J. D. Peck. He was a man of sterling
character, and exerted a marked influence in the
community. He actively advocated the cause of
education and temperance, and salutary reforms
along governmental and social lines. He was a
Presbyterian in religion, and a trustee in his
church, and in politics was originally a \Miig.
becoming a Republican on the organization of
that party. He was three times married. His
first wife was Sarah Wilson, whom he wedded
December 31, 18 16. He married Susan Snidicor
June 28, 1845, and Sarah A. Bertholf on March
13, 1862. His death occurred July 7, 1864. He
left a valuable estate and his family well estab-
lished in life.

T. Wilson Peck, son of Samuel Peck, was born
in Massachusetts in 1826, and was eight years
old when he came with his father to the site of
the present Peckville, the region being then an
almost unbroken wilderness. He had little op-
portunitv for education as the word is now under-
stood. He was, however, already well grounded
in the fundamental branches, and through his
private reading and habits of observation he
gathered a large fund of general knowledge. He
early developed an aptitude for a business life,
grew into familiarity with lumbering, in which
his father was engaged, and eventually became
his partner. On the retirement of the father, J.
Wilson Peck and his brother, J. D. Peck, formed
a partnership under the firm name of Peck
Brothers, continuing the manufacture of dressed
lumber, always with success, and continually de-
veloping it into larger proportions. From the
partnership grew the incorporation of the Peck
Lumber Alanufacturing Company, with exten-
sive plants at Peckville and Scranton, the active
managers being J. \\'ilson Peck as president o.f
the company, and his son, Edson S. Peck as sec-
retarv and treasurer. ]Mr. Peck was also a large
owner of timber lands in Potter county, and he
organized the Lackawanna Lumber Company, of



l82



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



which he wa^ president, his eldest son, Fenwick
L. Peck, having charge of the mills at Mina, said
to be the most extensive in Pennsylvania. In ad-
dition to these large interests, to, which he gave
diligent and highly intelligent direction, he was
actively associated with various other important
institutions, among them the Dime Discount and
Deposit Bank of Scranton, in which he was a di-
rector : and the Lackawanna Safe Deposit Com-
pany and the Lackawanna Hardware Company,
in both of which he was a stockholder.

In his personal relations to the community Mr.
Peck was an ideal citizen. He was constantly
alert in behalf of every movement looking to its
advancement along intellectual and moral as well
as material lines. Religion and education were
his chief concerns, and he aided both, zealously
with his influence and liberally with his means.
Among his larger benefactions was his gift to the
Baptist Church of a beautiful parsonage. His
charities were dispensed freely, but with an en-
tire absence of ostentation. He was the willing
aider of the struggling poor, and many a toilsome
worker was lifted into a home and a firm estab-
lishment in life by his counsel and material assist-
ance. To the afflicted and distressed he was
tenderly sympathetic. In brief, his life was a
benediction upon all who came into his presence
in the hour of need or sorrow.

His useful life came to a close on October 14,
1895, at the end of an illness patiently endured
for the long period of ten months. The sad
event, although not unexpected, caused profound
grief in the community, and came to the greater
number with a sense of personal loss. The fu-
neral was attended by a great concourse, among
them all the employes of the Peck Lumber Com-
pany in a body. The board of directors of the
Dime Deposit and Discount Bank adopted resolu-
tions expressive of their regard for their deceased
colleague, and testifying to his great business
ability, and his unblemished reputation for probitv
and honorable dealing. The local press spoke in
fervent terms of his life and character, one saying:

"The county loses an estimable citizen, and
Peckville, particularly, a benefactor. Of him
what more or better can we say than that 'the
world is happier for his having lived ; and what
truer message has his life left to those who so.
soon must follow, than this stanza from Bryant's
beautiful poem :

■' 'So live that when thy summons comes to join the

innumerable caravan.
Thou go not like the quarry slave at night, scourged

to his dungeon —
But, sustained and soothed by an unfahering trust,

approach thy grave



As one who wraps the drapery of his couch about hint
And lies down to pleasant dreams.' "



Air. Peck was twice married. His first wife
was JNIiss Mercietta Hall, of Abington, and of this,
union were born four children : Fenwick L.,.
Edson S., Frank, and Mary E. Peck, all of whom
survive the father.

Fenwick L. Peck, eldest child of J. Wilson
and Mercietta (Hall) Peck, was born in Peck-
ville, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, Septem-
ber 18, 1854. He was educated in the public
schools of Peckville, and at Wyoming Seminary,,
where he completed a three years course, grad-
uating in 1874. He labored in various capacities
in his father's lumber establishments, and became
a member of the firm of Peck & Sons, continuing
as such until the organization of the Lackawanna
Lumber Company, the successor to the old firm,
in 1887, and of which he became general mana-
ger. He occupied this position until the death
of his father, when he became president, contin-
uing as such to the present time. Bom, as may
be said, into the lumbering business, and with
the great advantage of an intimate association
with his father in its afifairs, he was from the first
amply equipped for the conduct of its great con-
cerns, and is known to the trade throughout the
country as one of its most accomplished and cred-
itable representatives. In his connection with
the corporation named he has contributed largely
to the importance of the Wyoming Valley in an
industrial way, and has provided occupation for
hundreds ■ of laborers in various capacities. He
is also identified with numerous other enterprises
of a commercial and financial character — the
Peck Lumber Manufacturing Company, in'
which he is a director, and the Scranto.n Savings
Bank, of which he is vice-president. While thus
busily engaged, and contributing to the wealth
and prestige of his home region, he has also been
a prime factor in large business concerns in
Mississippi. He aided in the organization of the
United States Lumber Company and the J. J.
Noonan Lumber Company, with headquarters at
Hattiesburg, and in both of which he is presi-
dent. He is also a director in the National Bank
of Commerce in the same place. Mr. Peck is
also known as one of the foremost railroad man-
agers in the same state, occupying the position-
of president of the Mississippi Central Railroad,
and in which he has displayed all the qualities
that mark the thoroughly equipped master of
transportation.

]\Ir. Peck holds membership in the Country
Club and the Scranton Club, of that city ; the



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



183



Transportation Club of Buffalo, New York ; and
the Pennsylvania Society of Xew York ; and in
all is held in high regard for his genial compan-
ionableness and his broad information, upon gen-
eral topics as well as those which engage the at-
tention of men of large aft'airs in the world of
commerce and finance. In politics he is a Repub-
lican, and an earnest advocate of the principles of
his party, but without aspirations for political
honors.

Mr. Peck has been twice married. His first
wife was Miss Jessie ]Mott, daughter of James
Mott, who was a grain merchant in Peckville.
She died, leaving to her husband a daughter,
Jessie M. Peck. He subsequently married Miss
Mina V. Pethick, a daughter of William Pethick,
of Honesdale, and of this marriage was born a
daughter, Florence L. Peck.

Edson S. Peck, son of J. Wilson and Jler-
cietta (Hall) Peck, was born December 8, 1862,
at Peckville Lock, Lackawanna county, Pennsyl-
vania. He was educated in the public schools of
Peckville, and in Wyoming Seminary. On
leaving school, as did his brother, he was engaged
in his father's lumbering establishments, in which
he acquired an intimate knowledge in all depart-
ments. At the organization of the Lackawanna
Lumber Company he became one of the incorpor-
ators, and after the death of his father was made-
general superintendent. He is also treasurer of
the Peck Lumber Manufacturing Company, and
secretary and treasurer of the L^nited States
Lumber Company, and has other invested inter-
ests. He is a member and trustee of the Asbury
Methodist Church, and is affiliated with Oriental
Lodge, Free and Accepted ^Masons, of Peckville.

^Ir. Peck married, September 25, 1890, ]Miss
Grace Hull, daughter of H. W. Hull, of Oly-
phant, Lackawanna county. Of this marriage
have been born five children — Pauline ; Lester
and Howard, twins, both deceased ; Gertrude and
Catherine.

THOMAS SPRAGUE, of the firm of
Sprague & Henwood, Scranton, has contributed
in large degree to the development of mining
properties in the Lackawanna A'alley and else-
where through his knowledge of mineral evidence
and mining operations, and by the aid of a device
of acknowledged utility, the Sullivan Diamond
Drill. He is also actively identified with various
other industrial and financial enterprises which
are important factors in the business life of the
Lackawanna region.

Mr. Sprague is a native of Rhode Island, born



in Woonsocket, May 15, 1845, and is a represen-
tative of an old family of that state. His pater-
nal grandfather, Thomas Sprague, was born in
Providence, Rhode Island, and in early life was a
sea captain, sailing a merchant vessel. Later he
embarked in the cotton manufacturing business,
setting up a mill near Providence, and about it
sprang up a village to which was given the name
of Spragueville for him, and where he died. He
was a man of large ability and accumulated ample
means. His wife was Sarah Fenner.

Edward H. Sprague, son of Captain Thomas
Sprague, was born at Providence, Rhode Island,
in 1812. In his early manhood he became a cot-
ton manufacturer in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.
While residing here he served in state militia, and
bore a part in the suppression of the Dorr rebel-
lion in 1842, giving loyal response to the call of
Governor King, and aiding in the defense of the
state arsenal against the attempt of seizure by
the pretender-governor, Thomas W. Dorr, who
after his defeat was brought to trial, convicted of
high treason, and sentenced to life imprisonment,
but was afterward pardoned. In 1861 Mr.
Sprague located in Boston, where he helped to
found the Manufacturers' Mutual Fire Insurance
Company. He was secretary of that corporation
up to the time of his death, and much of its suc-
cess was due to his eft'ort, it becoming one of the
strongest companies in its line in the east. He
was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal
faith, and for many years a vestryman of the old
St. Mark's Church in Boston. In politics he was
a Republican. He died in 1891. He married
Clara P. Smith, who was born in Middlebury,
^'ermont, a daughter of Reuel P. Smith. Of
this marriage were born four sons and four
daughters.

Thomas Sprague, son of Edward H. and
Clara P. (Smith) Sprague, was educated in
Woonsocket, Rhocle Island. In 1862, at the age
of seventeen years, he enlisted in Bigelow's (Mas-
sachusetts) Battery, in which he rendered faith-
ful service until the end of the war. He partici-
pated in the most momentous campaigns of the
Army of the Potomac, and fought in different
general engagements, besides numerous smaller
affairs, the battles including those of Gettysburg,
the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House,
Bethesda Church, the operations against the
Weldon Railroad, and against Petersburg and
Richmond. He was honorably discharged in
June, 1865, the war having ended in the preced-
ing April.

After his discharge from the army, Mr.



l84



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Sprague took emplo}-ment in the railway trans-
portation service, in turn, with the Boston & Al-
bany Railroad ; the Pennsylvania Railroad, in
Ohio; the Hartford, Providence & Fishkill Rail-
road ; the New York & New England Railroad ;
and the New York, New Haven & Hart-
ford Railroad, He was thus employed
from 1867 to 1886, when he located in
Scranton. There Mr. Sprague engaged in
coal operations with the late William T. Smith,
of the Mt. Pleasant and Sterrick Creek collieries,
and continued therein until 1900, when he entered
upon a business which has occupied his attention
to the present time. With Mr. Henwood he
formed the firm of Sprague & Henwood, suc-
ceeding to the business of H. P, Simpson, con-
tracting and prospecting for coal and other min-
erals, and have successfully executed many large
contracts for drilling for coal and iron mining
companies, railroad companies and individuals.
In these undertakings they have used with entire
success a most excellent device known as the
Sullivan Diamond Drill, which bores a perfectly
straight smooth hole to any depth and in any given
direction from vertical to horizontal, bringing to
the surface a solid section or "core" of all strata
passed through, in order, revealing their exact
individual depth, thickness and character of all
stone or other deposits passed through, thus af-
fording accurate knowledge of the material to be
encountered in sinking a shaft, and providing
data for a close estimate of the cost of sinking
the shaft, and an apjjroximate idea of the value
of the workable mineral strata.

Mr, Sprague is also actively interested in vari-
ous other local enterprises of moment. He is a
director and the vice-president of the People's
Bank of Scranton, and was a director and presi-
dent of the board of trustees of the State Hospital
at Scranton. For many years he has served as
a vestryman of St. Luke's (Protestant Episcopal)
Church, and is a member of the Scranton Club
and the Engineers' Club. In politics he is a Re-
publican. He is a man of unusual industry,
boundless energy, and possessed of those traits
which adapt In'm in eminent measure to his prin-
cipal occupation, habits of close observation, care-
ful calculation, and a conservatism of judgment
which seeks for facts upon which to base action,
particularly in those fields of natural products
which are unrevealed to the eye save at the cost
of large means and nnich time. Such an equip-
ment makes him a safe counsellor in all pertain-
ing to mining operations, and have gained for



him the patronage and confidenrc of a large
and important clientele.

Mr. Sprague married Miss Frances E. Dun-
can, daughter of Samuel Duncan, of Columbus,
Ohio, and of this union were born two daughters,
both living in Scranton: Grace D., now the wife
of J. W, Leverich, and Gertrude H,, now the wife
of N. R. Osborne.

EDITH BARTON, M. D. There is an in-
finite satisfaction in receiving the gifts of the
Creator and utilizing them for the benefit of
humanity, but the privilege of becomng the me-
dium through which these blessings are be-
stowed on others is the greatest privilege con-
ferred on mankind. To effect this is the office
of the true and conscientious physician, and pre-
eminent in this philanthropic work is the female
physician, whose loving touch and tender heart
is often more potent in alleviating suffering and
expelling pain than a more heroic treatment ad-
ministered by one of the sterner sex. We are
glad the time has come when women are al-
lowed privileges afforded to men in the practice
of medicine. Time has evidenced the fact that
they are his equal in intelligence and skill, and
it affords great pleasure to record the name of
Dr. Edith Barton as one of the promising phy-
sicians of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Dr. Barton was born at Lime-Ridge, Colum-
bia county, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Henry
C. and Mary Frances (Low) Barton, natives
of the Keystone state, who were the parents of
two children: Mrs. Laura B. Aikman and Dr.
Edith r.arton. Henry C. Barton is a relative of
Clara Barton, of Red Cross fame, and his wife is
a connection of Seth Low, former mayor of New
York City, and a descendant. of Samuel Brewer,
a Revolutionary soldier, who fought in the colo-
nial ranks, where he displayed valor and patriot-
ism in meeting the enemy at the historic battle
of Trenton, New Jersey, December, 1776. Mr.
and Mrs. Barton reside at the old homestead at
Lime-Ridge.

When four }'ears of age Dr. Barton accompa-
nied her parents on their removal to Williams-
port. She received her early education in the
public schools of that place, and later graduated
from the State Normal School at Bloomsburg,
Pennsylvania. The following two years she was
engaged as teacher in the public schools of Hazle-
ton, Pennsylvania, and subsequentlv she acceiHed
a position as stenographer in New York Citv,
where she remained twelve years. During this




f-HGH BY0KA.5.B. KA-LUWEWYORk




THE ^^'Yo:\^NG and lackawanna valleys.



18=



period of time Miss Barton became interested in
medical work and pursued studies along^ that line,
paving especial attention and attending lectures
on chemistry and kindred subjects at Pratt Insti-
tute, Brooklyn, New York. In 1898 she entered
the~Woman"s JMedical College, of Pennsylvania,
located in Philadelphia, from which she was
graduated with the degree of Doctor of JNIedicine
and Surgery in May, 1902. Immediately after
her graduation she accepted a position as resi-
dent physician in the Philadelphia Hospital,
known as "Blackley," for one year, and on the
■expiration of this term of service accepted a posi-
tion as senior resident physician at the Charity
Lying-in-Hospital, Philadelphia, for one year. In
July, 1904, at the termination of the latter named
service, Dr. Barton located in Scranton as a gen-
eral practitioner in medicine and surgery. Her
office, at 436 Adams avenue, is furnished and



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 38 of 130)