Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 39 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


equipped with the most modern improvements
and appliances of her profession.

ED\\'ARD SCOTT WOODHOUSE. One
of those men whose zeal and enterprise impart
to the real estate interests of Lackawanna county
much of their impetus and vigor is Edward Scott
Woodhouse, of Scranton. Mr. Woodhouse is a
representative of a family which was founded in
the United States by five brothers who came from
England. Their descendants can be found in the
ranks of good and useful citizens in many states
of the L'nion.

John Woodhouse. one of the brothers men-
tioned above, settled at Dimock, Susquehanna
county, Pennsylvania, married and had six chil-
dren born, three of whom are living: Frederick
Mortimer, Catherine, and Edward W., mentioned
at length hereinafter. Mr. Woodhouse, the
father, may be said to have been the founder of
the Pennsylvania branch of the family.

Edward W. \\'oodhouse, son of John Wood-
house, was born in Dimock, Susquehanna county,
Pennsylvania, and was a wheelwright by trade.
He rtiarried Mersha J\Ianley. a native of East
Canton, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and the
following children were born to them : Edward
Scott, mentioned at length hereinafter ; J. Louise,
and Matilda P. Mrs. Woodhouse, the exemplary
mother of the family, has passed away, but her
husband survives and is now in the evening of
his days, enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life.

Edward Scott Woodhouse, son of Edward W.
pnd Mersha (Manley) Woodhouse, was born
January 29, 1865. near ]\Iontrose, Susquehanna
■countv, Pennsylvania, and received his education



in Dimock, in his native county. After engaging
for a time in agricultural pursuits he went to
Scranton in March, 1889, and there entered the
service of Fenner & Chappell, grocers of that city.
In 1893 he was induced to join Wood, Harmon
& Company in developing and promoting real
estate projects, and continued the connection until
1895, when he engaged with H. N. Patrick in
same business and continued until 1900, when he
became the successful manager of the Lacka-
wanna Land Company, whose property is situ-
ated in South Main street and is known as
"Round Woods Park." In 1898 this company
purchased ninety-five acres of land from the Del-
aware, Lackawanna & Western Company, and
for two years nothing was done toward the de-"
velopment of the property. Mr. Woodhouse took
charge of the enterprise December 2, 1900, at
which time there were but two families living on
the land. During the next four years there were
erected on this property ninety-three dwellings,
four stores, the monastery, and the large silk fac-
tory for the Raul Clemens Silk ^Manufacturing
Company. These structures were not built by
the company for the purpose of advertising the
place, but by individuals who had purchased lots
for their own use. The result was entirely due
to the persistent elTorts and indomitable energy
of Mr. Woodhouse, whose zeal has been further
rewarded by seeing this beautiful suburb become
a part of the city of Scranton, January 18, 1905.
December 29, 1904, Mr. Woodhouse sold out his
interest in the Lock Land Company, at which
time he became half owner of the business form-
erly conducted by Alessrs. Naegeli and Tiel, suc-
ceeding Mr. Naegeli, after which the firm name
was changed to that of Woodhouse & Tiel. They
are wholesale dealers in flour, feed, meal, corn,
oats, hay and straw, and general agents for Schu-
macher's stock feed. Mr. Woodhouse is a good
citizen and is thoroughly esteemed as such by his
neighbors. He and his wife are members of the
Christian Science Church of Scranton.

Mr. Woodhouse married in 1888, Hattie,
daughter of Benjamin and Laura A. Wilcox, and
three children have been born to them : Glenn
M., who is deceased: Clarence W. : and Naomi
G. Mrs. Woodhouse is a native of Wayne coun-
ty, Pennsylvania.

COLONEL R. A. PHILLIPS, superintend-
ent of the coal department of the Delaware, Lack-
awanna & Western Railroad, and president of the
Keystone Bank, is widely known for his masterly
qualifications in one of the most exacting posi-



1 86



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



tions in the entire industrial world, one demand-
ing entire self-control, nerve of iron, indomitable
resolution, and yet, withal, those personal gifts
which at critical times affords one a greater com-
mand over others through genial personalhy than
would mere display of authority. Perhaps none
other in the great coal fields of Pennsylvania has
come to his weighty tasks with superior prepara-
tion. Reared to mine work from his very child-
hood, he has had practical experience in its every
stage — as breaker boy, slate picker in the screen
room, door tender in the mines, mule driver in the
gangway, as runner, miner and foreman.
Throughout his career, he has gained a deep
knowledge of men ; and, what is greatly to his
credit, his own advancement has bred in him no
false pride of place, but has deeplv planted in him
a feeling of sympathy for the toiler, to. whom he
has ever been a considerate friend, while at the
same time he has never neutralized his influence
by abating an iota of reasonable discipline. These
qualities have afforded him a potent influence
with the men under him. who have ever held him
in high personal regard.

Air. Phillips was born in Belleview, Scranton,
Pennsylvania, December ii, 1863, a son of
Thomas J. and Anna (Jenkins) Phillips. The
father was a native of Wales, and came to. Car-
bondale, an accomplished practical miner, in
1848. In his later years he was foreman of the
Jersey and Avondale mines of the Delaware,
Lackawanna & Western Company, at Plymouth,
Pennsylvania, and was occupying that position
at the time of his death, in December, 1891. He
was a man of strong intellect and deep piety, a
licentiate of the Welsh Presbyterian Church, and
wielded a wide and salutary influence among the
Welsh population throughout the Lackawanna
Valley. He was deeply versed not only in the
Scriptures but in a generous range of scientific
and polite literature, his knowledge being entirely
self-acquired. He officiated in a ministerial ca-
pacity from Carbondale to Nanticoke, and in all
the intermediate villages, and was primarily in-
strumental in organizing various congregations,
erecting and furnishing church edifices, and in
forwarding all benevolent enterprises. He per-
formed such useful labors from the time of his
coming to the country to the hour of his death,
at Hyde Park, Scranton. He married Anna
Jenkins, who was also a native of Wales, and
who is yet living, at the age of seventy-seven
years. Their children were seven in number :
David, deceased ; Sarah, Thomas, John, R. A.,
Elizabeth and Margaret.



R. A., the fourth son of Thomas J. and Anna
(Jenkins) Phillips, was reared in Plymouth,
Pennsylvania, to which place his parents removed
when he was an infant, and he there received his
education in the public schools, suspending his
studies, however, at the age of twelve years, to
enter upon work in the Jersey mines at Plymouth.
The lad was extremely fortunate in his parent-
age ; for his father, broadly informed man that
he was, supplied to him more practical knowl-
edge than he could possibly have acquired in
school. The rise of the young man through the
various minor grades of mine labor have been al-
ready hinted at in this narrative. So well did he
acquit himself at each stage, that he became con-
nected with the engineering corps of the Dela-
ware, Lackawanna & Western Company at the
age of seventeen years, and in turn was advanced
to the positions of assistant inside foreman, in-
side foreman, assistant inside general superin-
tendent, district superintendent, and finally super-
intendent of all the mines of the company^
twenty-one in all, employing 15,000 men, all of
whom come directly within his personal jurisdic-
tion. How well he has discharged all his multi-
farious duties is eloquently attested by both
classes of men with whom he is constantly and
intimately associated — his superiors, the men who
hold those vast properties ; and the army of oper-
atives — both of whom hold him in deep respect,,
with implicit confidence, and sincere regard. His
status in the coal-world at large is evidenced by
the important positions to which he has been-
called and in which he was held with entire re-
spect. For three years he was a member of the
board of examiners charged with passing upon
the qualifications of applicants for certificates as
mine foremen ; and for five years he was a mem-
ber of the inspectors' examining board. He is
a man of marked public spirit, and affords active
aid to every enterprise promising o.f advantage to
the community. He aided in the organization of"
the Keystone Bank in 1904, and at the initial
meeting was chosen to the presidency, with the-
following representative gentlemen as fellow-di-
rectors : T. E. Clark, Timothy Burke, George-
Carson, Morgan Thomas, William Farrell, D. D.
Evans, M. P. Casey, George Forgert, William
Blunie, Hon. John R. Farr, J. G. Sheppard. Col-
onel Phillips is a Republican in politics, and is
an earnest advocate of the principles and policies
of the party. His prominence as a leader found
recognition in his being sent as a delegate to. many
important conventions, including the national
convention of 1904. in Chicago, in which Theo-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



187-



dore Roosevelt was nominated for the presi-
dency. Colonel Phillips is a IMason of high rank,
and has attained to the thirty-second degree,
Scottish Rite.

Colonel Phillips married Aliss Alary Ruane,
daughter of Daniel Ruane, of Scranton.

JAJNIES N. RICE, M. D., passing away at
the meridian of his life, in full possession of his
faculties and in the height of his usefulness, oc-
cupied a commanding position as a man of un-
usual versatility. In his youth he was a gallant
soldier, and he became an accomplished physi-
cian, an inventor, and one of the most expert
authorities in mining operations in the entire
anthracite region.

Dr. Rice was born in Factoryville, in 1845, a
son of William and Sarah (Reynolds) Rice. The
father was one of the earliest settlers of Abing-
tOTi, living on a farm at Factoryville, and was one
of the most highly respected men in Wyoming
county. He was a devout Christian, and his ad-
vocacy of the cause of temperance was wide and
enduring. His wife was Sarah Reynolds,
daughter of George Reynolds, who was also one
of the earliest of the Abington settlers. She was
a woman of beautiful qualities of heart and
mind, and great force of character. For forty-
six years she was a devout member of the Baptist
Church, active in all religious and charitable work
and thoroughout her life zealous in her advocacy
of temperance. Her husband died in 1858, and
upon her alone devolved the training and educat-
ing of her children, a sacred duty which she dis-
charged with the highest degree of self-abnegat-
ing conscientiousness. During the Civil war per-
iod her patriotism was most ardent and intense.
She freely gave to her country three of her four
sons, one of whom. Captain Edson J. Rice (of
whom his superiors and comrades testified that
no braver officer ever drew sword in behalf of
the Union), courageously met a soldier's death in
the battle of Chancellorsville. This splendid
young soldier entered the service as first lieuten-
ant, and participated in nearly all the battles 'un-
der General ]\IcClellan, and also in that at Fred-
ericksburg under General Burnside. He was
slightly wounded at Fair Oaks, and was pro-
moted to captain a few months before his un-
timely but .orlorious death. The mother met this
dreadful affliction with christian resignation, and
found some surcease of sorrow in devoting her-
self with redoubled energy to the work in which
she had been foremost from the beginning, the
providing of comforts for the sick and wounded
soldiers in the hospitals, and of necessities for the



families whose bread-earners were at the front.
She was one of the most devoted of friends, and
kindest of neighbors. Her death occurred in^
1874. She was the mother of seven children :
Norman, Edson, Freelove, Elvira, Nicholas,
James N. and Stephen, of whom those surviving
are Elvira (Mrs. Green), Nicholas and Stephen.

Dr. James N. Rice was reared in his native-
village and was there educated in the public
schools. He was only about sixteen years old.
when the Civil war broke out, but his intense
patriotism moved him to enroll himself among the
defenders of the Union as a member of Battery^
L, Second Pennsylvania Artillery. With this
command he participated in the various stirring
campaigns and hard fought battles which marked
the annals of the Army of the Potomac, serving
with fidelity and conspicuous gallantry. He was
severely wounded in the battle of Cold Harbor,
but after his recovery resumed his place in the
field and served until the expiration of his term
of enlistment.

After his return home Dr. Rice entered the
medical department of the University of Michi-
gan, at Ann Arbor, from which he was graduated'
on the completion of the course, and he subse-
quently took a post-graduate course at the Belle-
vue Medical College, New York City, from which
he graduated in 1867. His initial practice was in'
his native town of Factoryville, but in 1870 he re-
moved to Pittston. There he was actively en-
gaged in his profession for a period of nineteen
years, caring for a large practice, and winning
high commendation for his ability and conscien-
tious devotion to his patients.

His interest had been long attracted to the-
coal industries of the valley, and he had made a
close study of all relating thereto. At Pittston
he had acquired a small mine known as the Cork
and Bottle, which he operated successfully for-
some years. In 1889 he decided to devote his
principal attention to coal properties,- having be-
come interested in the development of the prop-
erty of the Mt. Lookout Coal Company at Wy-
oming, Pennsylvania, and he retired from his=
profession and located in Scranton to enter upon
a new career, one in which he was destined to-
become most conspicuous. Soon after his com-
ing he organized the Blue Ridge Coal Company,,
which operated a mine at Peckville. This was
subsequently sold to the Ontario & Western Coal
Company, and Dr. Rice became interested in the
Riverside Coal Company and the West End Coal
Company, in the former of which he held a con-
trolling interest, acting as general manager of the
latter, each operating one mine. He was succes-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



sively at the head of some of the largest individ-
ual coal enterprises in Lackawanna and Luzerne
counties, and at one time was also extensively in-
terested in mining operations in Schuylkill
county. He brought to these enterprises the
same energy and prompt decision of character
that has made him successful in his profession,
and his success was almost phenomenal. One of
his properties (the Blue Ridge colliery) was one
of the best paying coal properties in the valley ;
its stock was quoted as high as 230, and for years
it paid dividends of from two to two and a half
per cent, a month. He was not only successful
■as a manager, but was entirely familiar with both
existent conditions and possibilities, and was rec-
ognized as one of the most expert authorities in
the entire anthracite region. President Fowler,
of the Ontario & Western Railroad, said of him,
at one time, that his views with reference to. the
coal industry were fully four years in advance o^
the average thought of coal operators. An evi-
dence of his practical ability is afforded in the in-
stance of the coal breaker at Riverside, which
was built after his own ideas and under his own
supervision, and which enabled twenty boys to
secure the same results which had previously re-
quired five times that number. Inventive skill
was one of his marked traits, and one of his de-
vices is now in general use, the Rice coil carriage
spring, including the machine to make it, which
was for some years manufactured in Pittston by a
company of which he was the head, and which
has since been made by Columbus Buggy Com-
pany. But his coal interests claimed his first at-
tention, and he devoted himself to them up to the
very moment when he was stricken down by
death. He also gave his attention to those large
affairs which relate to all mining interests of the
coal region, and was a leading spirit in the work
■of the strike commission for the independent min-
ing companies.

Dr. Rice died suddenly, of heart failure, De-
cember 9, 1902, at Scranton, after an illness of
but a few hours. His death created a profound
sensation not only in the city with whose prin-
cipal interests he had been so long identified, but
througho.ut the entire coal region. The expres-
sions of sorrow were profound and sincere. Aside
from his conspicuously useful professional and
industrial career, he was held in high regard for
his many admirable traits of personal character.
He was a genial and wholesouled gentleman o.f
the old school, who would never sufifer his im-
mersement in business to separate him from his
fellows in social intercourse. He lived an ideal



home life, and found his relaxation and principal
enjoyment with his family.

He is survived by his widow, their three chil-
dren. Homer Cake, Earl Leroy, and Marion
Helene, two brothers, S. L. Rice, of Scranton,
and N. E. Rice, who resides in Los Angeles, Cali-
fornia; and a sister, Mrs. William D. Green, of
Green Ridge. The sons, Homer Cake and Earl
Leroy, have inherited much o. the inventive gen-
ius of the father, and are preparing for electrical
engineering pursuits. I\Irs. Rice maintains the
family home on Webster avenue, one of the most
beautiful residences in the entire city, and to
which she is deeply attached for the sake of the
tender recollections which cluster about it.

RT. REV. FRANCIS HODUR. Every
age has its martyrs, heroes and reformers, men
who take their proper places and maintain against
all odds the great principles in whose defense or
upholding they are enlisted. These men not only
make for themselves a place in history but in the
vital affairs of their day and generation they
also play an important part unrecorded on writ-
ten page, touching and winning the great pulsing
heart of humanity. Their worth and goodness
are not always soon recognized. It is often de-
cades, and sometimes centuries, before the world
awakes to the fact that a hero had stepped into
the arena and grappled with some great evil or
force which has menaced the wellbeing of human-
ity. When Martin Luther inaugurated his great
work of reformation he met all of opposition and
endured all of danger and obloquy for the sake
of his faith, and not till he had long been gathered
to his fathers did the full force of his labors, ex-
ample and inspiration come to fruition. All
along down the ages great minds have been at
work with this idea in view, more liberty of
thought, more freedom of will, more love to God,
more justice to man. They have been leading
men out of darkness into the light ; out of chaos
into order and harmony ; out of the mystical and
esoteric into the open day of clear thought. Such
a man as this is Bishop Hodur, who was for six
years a worker in the priesthood of the Roman
Catholic Church, and who was chosen by a num-
ber of his countrymen and members of said
church to be their standard bearer in a victorious
and untrammcled march to greater light and bet-
ter things.

In March, 1S97, there was presented to Father
Hodur, who was at that time pastor of Holy
Trinity Church, Roman Catholic., at Nanticoke,
Pennsylvania, a petition signed by two hundred




^/-^-^^t^^^^iJ^^ /j^



^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



189,



and thirty-seven members of his denomination
from Scranton and other places, importuning and
urging him to head their cause, to withdraw from
the church of Rome and to organize an independ-
ent Catholic Church. This movement culminated
in the organization of what is now known as the
Polish National Church, and the attitude which
Bishop Hodur assumed in replying to the petition
mentioned is indicated in the position which he
now holds. The church has come forward with a
definite aim, and among its most important func-
tions are the spreading of a spirit of love and fra-
ternity in each Christian community and the aid-
ing of the Polish people to become more demo-
cratic, or more American, in their church and
civic relations and personality. The Polish Na-
tional Church believes that the laity should have
equal representation in the government of the
church. The highest power or authority in the
church is vested in the synod, instead of the pope,
and the synod convenes every fiive years, while
a special session may be called by the bishop on
request of one-third of the membership. This
synod is composed of an equal number of laymen
and clergv and is presided over by the bishop,
w-ho is elected by the body. The bishop will have
control and supervision of the priests, parochial
schools and church societies. The question of the
celibacy of the priesthood has been taken up and
the abolition of the ordinance is altogether prob-
able, while the liturgy of the church will be
changed from the Latin to the Polish language. It
is expected that a cathedral will be erected in
Scranton in the near future, while the establishing
of a seminary at South Scranton has been under-
taken, while an orphan asylum or home is in pro-
cess of erection at the time of this writing. Bishop
Hodur is a man of marked iniative and executive
ability, and the church and synod made an excel-
lent choice in calling him to his present high office
for the temporal and spiritual afifairs of the
church are certain to be forwarded and vitalized
through his apostolic and administrative control.
The bishop has the right mettle and temperament
to head so important a reformatory movement as
that with which he has identified himself, and
personal sacrifice and labor cannot be to him too
great if the good of the world and work can be
advanced through his efiforts. Lender his effect-
ive dispensation the work of the new organization
has gone steadily forward, the membership hav-
ing been augmented from the original two hun-
dred and thirty-seven members until there are
now represented twenty-four hundred and fifty
families and two thousand and twenty single



members. The church has the one bishop and
twelve priests, and Pennsylvania has six churches,.
:\iassachusetts four. New Jersey two and the city
of Baltimore one.

Bishop Hodur was born in Zarki, Poland,.
April I, 1866, and was educated in the Roman
Catholic seminary and college in the city of Cra-
cow, Poland, having been graduated in this insti-
tution in 1892, and having been ordained to the
priesthood in the following year. In 1893 he
immigrated to America and located in Scranton..
Here Bishop O'Hara appointed his assistant to
Father Aust, rector of the Polish Roman Catho-
lic Church in South Scranton. In 1894 he was
given charge of a church in Green Ridge, a sub-
urb of Scranton, and in the following year be-
came rector of Holy Trinity Church, in Nanti-
coke, where he remained until he identified him-
self with the new church and movement, as has
been alreadv noted. He is a son of John and
Mary Hodur, who still remain in Poland, as do
all of their five children except the bishop, who
is the only representative of the family in
America.

ANTON SCHULTHEii. One of the lead-
ing florists of Lackawanna county is Anton
Schultheis, of Scranton. He is of German par-
entage. His father, Henry Schultheis, at the age
of twenty-five years emigrated to the United
States. During the greater part of his life he-
was engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a
good citizen and held some minor township offi-
ces. He married Elizabeth Schultheis, also a na-
tive of Germany, and much longer than himself
a resident of the United States, she having been
brought hither in 1852, while he did not arrive
until 1867. Although of the same name they
were in no degree related. Their children were :
Amelia, Anton, mentioned hereafter ; Lydia, Dor-
athea, Louis, Gertrude, Henry, Frederick and
Marie. The parents of these children are still
living and reside at Taylor, Pennsylvania.

Anton Schultheis, son of Henry and Eliza-
beth (Schultheis) Schultheis, was born Septem-
ber 3, 1873, in Lackawanna county, and was edu-
cated in the common schools of Taylor, Pennsyl-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 39 of 130)