Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 4 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he had extended to them. He was in all things
a practical Christian, and an exemplary member
■of the Elm Park Methodist Episcopal Church of
Scranton.

In 1882 Mr. Crawford married Huldah A.
Wilcox, daughter of James and Sarah Wilcox.
'Of this marriage were born two children, Byron
and Norma, both of whom are deceased. Mr.
Crawford died February 19, 1905, at Indianola,
Florida, from heart failure. His sudden demise
was a great shock to the community, to which it
was also an irreparable loss. The remains were
interred in the family plot at Dunmore cemetery,
Scranton, Pennsylvania. The tributes to his
memory were many and fervent. It was said of
him that his gospel of work was annotated by a
large measure of human interest in everything



that concerned the moral and physical welfare of
the community. He never forgot that he rose
from the lowest round of the industrial ladder,
and those who worked under him he regarded
and treated as co-laborers. He earned the grati-
tude of every one who is sufficiently just to see
in his example the promptings of a kindly heart.
Mrs. Crawford, who survives her husband,
possesses in a marked degree the characteristics
of a Christian woman, and in the various capaci-
ties of daughter, wife and mother has ever faith-
fully and earnestly performed all duties and re-
sponsibilities devolving upon her. She is among
the foremost of the charitable and generous
women of Scranton, constantly performing some
deed of charity ; and all philanthropic and hu-
mane institutions, also private demands, and, in
fact everything calculated to uplift mankind and
elevate humanity, ever receive from her a prompt
and generous response. She is dispensing her
ample means with the same generous hand which
characterized the actions of her late husband dur-
ing the latter years of his useful life, and in every
way possible is endeavoring to fulfill his wishes
and intentions. She is greatly beloved by all who
enjoy a close and intimate acquaintance, and
highly respected by all classes in the community.

JAMES G. SHEPHERD, the active head of
the People's Coal Company, and prominently
identified with other large business and financial
interests, also an art connoisseur of more than
ordinary knowledge and capability, is one of the
most popular men in Scranton, and there are few
whose influence has been more often sought and
who have been more instrumental in the develop-
ment and progress of affairs than has Mr. Shep-
herd. He was born in Nanticoke, Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, in 1867.

He attended the common schools of his native
town, and completed his education at Wyoming
Seminary, Kingston. He left home to. make his
way in the world at the age of seventeen years,
and in 1884 came to Jermyn, Pennsylvania, where
he entered the employ of Simpson & Watkins as
clerk in the stores which they conducted in con-
nection with their coal operations in that locality.




D B'f GHA.S.E.HA-LT.MLV/'WBK




■XI

m
w

o
m
z
o
m

o

-n



PI ;
w

W

I ^

m
o



I-

t







>

r
o





>-

a:
u

_i

<
o

H
<



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



While so serving he attended night school, and
in Scranton pursued a business course, giving
special attention to bookkeeping. Shortly after-
ward he obtained a position with the Edgerton
Coal Company, and two years later was made
outside foreman of the Edgerton colliery. In
less than one year after this appointment he was
^iven supervision of all of Simpson & Watkins'
mining interests in that locality, later was given
charge of the Northwest Coal Company, near
Carbondale, and subsequently, when the firm of
Simpson & Watkins purchased the collieries of
the Sterrick Creek Coal Company at Peckville,
and the Lackawanna Coal Company at Olyphant,
he was superintendent of both operations, and
when they were sold to the Temple Iron Company
he was made superintendent of all their collieries
noTth of Scranton, in which position he remained
imtil, in partnership with the late James L. Craw-
ford, they purchased the People's Coal Company,
■of which he is now (1906) president and practi-
cally the owner.

December 22, 1905, the following notice was
posted at the office of the Oxford colliery of the
People's Coal Company : "All employees who
are now in our employ and who have been on the
payroll for ninety days or longer will receive a
share of the distributions of profits by calling at
the office any time on Saturday." The amount
divided among the seven hundred employees was
between fifteen and twenty thousand dollars, and
Avas equivalent to about twoi week's wages for
each miner, laborer and boy in the employ of the
company. A similar amount was distributed in
the same manner the preceding Christmas. While
the officials of the companv do not discuss the
matter, it is understood that the gifts are made to
the employees as a reward for their faithful serv-
ice during the year. The colliery is operated
upon a unique plan, there being no other coal
property in the anthracite region where the same
methods prevail. The opportunity is given to
each contract miner to earn as much as he can.
If a miner demonstrates that he can work more
than one chamber and is anxious to take charge
of two Or more, he is granted his desire without
(delay, and he can hold the additional chambers so



long as he maintains his competency. Every
miner is furnished with as many cars as he can
load, and not one minute need be lost for want of
cars ready for the coal. An idle day is never
known in the Oxford mine, and it is the only
colliery in the anthracite region where the men
work ten hours a day. The pleasant relations be-
tween the men and the company have been in-
creased by t^ie building of a splendid wash house
for the men, which, upon the authority of the mine
inspector, has not its equal in the coal fields. This
was the idea of Mr. Shepherd and, as is char-
acteristic of him, the plan was thoroughly carried
out, and is certainly an immense boon. The
building is fitted up with five hundred lockers,
each man is provided with a key to his locker ;
soap and bath towels are also furnished, and a
man is constantly in attendance to wait upon the
bathers. According to the mine inspector it is
the only institution of its kind in the anthracite
coal field, and the company has been complimented
upon the manner in which it has shown its inter-
est in the welfare of the men.

Mr. Shepherd is a director in the Traders'
National Bank of Scranton, the Keystone Na-
tional Bank, the Taylor Bank, the Pennsylvania
Casualty Company, the Spring Brook Water Sup-
ply Company, and the Elmhurst and Nay-Aug
Falls Boulevard Company. Aside from his busi-
ness and financial interests j\Ir. Shepherd is ac-
tively and prominently identified with various in-
stitutions. He is vice-president of the Young
Men's Christian Association of Scranton, a di-
rector of the Lackawanna Bible Society and
Wesleyan University, a trustee of Dickinson Col-
lege and Wyoming Seminary, and president of
the Scranton Oratorical Society. He is a member
of Elm Park Methodist Episcopal Church, is a
teacher of a large class of young men in the Sun-
day school connected therewith, and for eight
years was president of the Epworth League of
that body. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, having reached the commandery of that
ancient order. He is also a member of the Penn-
sylvania Society, the New England Society, and
the Engineers' Club.

When Mr. Shepherd remodeled his handsome



lb



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



home on the corner of Linden street and Monroe
avenue, Scranton, a small art gallery was built,
the walls of which are now so well filled that an
addition to this space is contemplated. Mr.
Shepherd, who was always fond of pictures, has
during his many foreign trips made a study of
much that is best in the old world art. His first
visit to Europe was in 1896, and since that time
he has gradually been acquiring pictures for his
collection until he has fifty of the best selections
from the original work of the American and Dutch
masters, among which is one of the masterpieces
of Josef Israels, and an autograph of the great
artist. The gallery is quiet and unassuming
enough from the exterior, without a window to
break the monotony of the walls. Within, it is
the ideal of refined comfort and elegance. There
is no ostentatious display. It is lighted from the
top. The glorious light of day filters through
the ground glass of the ceiling without glare, and
in the night the Nernst light comes through the
same medium. The floor is covered with a thick,
rich rug, divans and chairs are scattered about
the rooms, and mahogany cabinets contain the lit-
erature of art. There is no doubt but that the
collection is one of the best private collections in
this part of the country, if not the best, as regards
merit, outside of New York and Philadelphia, and
there is not one picture in the collection that is
not from the brush of a master hand. Entering
the gallery, the visitor's attention is immediately
attracted by the large picture by H. Harpignies,
entitled, "Early Morning," which occupies the
place of honor. It is the largest in size in the
collection, and is wonderful for its exquisite rich-
ness of trees and foliage, while the sunlight effect
is most beautiful. This picture was exhibited at
the Paris Salon in 1893, and stood extremely high
in the estimation of art connoisseurs. Of the
Dutch masters in the collection, the prominent
position is given to Josef Israels, with two pic-
tures, "The Little Nurse," and "Waiting for the
Fishing Boats." The first is in somber colors,
and represents a child reading a lesson from the
Bible to her sick grandmother. The character-
istics of the simple home are brought out in great
detail. Josef Israels, who is the father of the mod-



ern Dutch school, declares this to be one of his
favorite anil intensely personal canvasses. The
second picture shows a girl with her younger sis-
ter on her back, as she wades in the water at low-
tide, and shows this masterful painter in his high-
est quality of outdoor work. Its intense sweet-
ness grows upon one as he looks. There are three
pictures by Anton ?ylauve: "Milking Time, Twi-
light." "A Gray Day," and "Winter." Eew of
the pictures have been available since the death of
the artist in 1888. Mr. Shepherd purchased them
in Holland in 1904. The first picture shows the
cows trudging toward the milking corner, the
farmer following, carrying the milk pails. They
are in darkness, and just a streak of light over
the horizon illuminates the peaceful scene. The
other two pictures represent sheep and shepherds
on the heath, and is most popular in Europe,
copies being seen in many houses. William
Maris, the unrivalled Dutch painter of cattle and
river scenes, is represented with one picture, "A
Summer Day." The realism is so great that one
can almost imagine that the water in the scene is
actually moving. Jacob Maris, one of the three
brothers, is represented by three pictures, "A
Holland Town," "Gathering Seaweeds," and
"Manon Horse." "The North Sea," by H. W.
Mesdag, represents a scene where two boats are
being unloaded at low tide. "Saying Grace," by
D. A. G. Artz, represents a mother and son seated
at a table in a devotional attitude before the even-
ing meal ; the prayerful attitude is most striking.
J. H. Weissenbruch"s "Canal in Holland" is the
work of one of the most original artists Holland
ever produced. The sky and light are splendid
achievements. "An Evening Meal," by R. J.
Bloomers, is one of the most cjuaint in the collec-
tion, being dainty, soulful, and considered one of
the best examples of the artist's work. "A
Dutch Home" is the work of J. S. H. Kever.
Robert C. Minor is represented by one canvas,
"A Summer Day." "Early Morning Twilight"'
is by D. W. Tryon, and "Winter Glow" by R. A.
Blakelok. George Inness is represented by two
pictures, "March Breezes," and "Oaks Autumn,
Tenafley, New Jersey." This canvas is conceded
by the best critics to be one of the great master-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



17



pieces of American art. William Sartain is rep-
resented by two pictures, "Jersey Sand Dunes,"
and "Chapter From the Koran" ; Arthur B.
Davies by "The Golden Stream" ; Thomas Sully
by a portrait of John Tyler ; Shepherd Mount by
a portrait of Martin Van Buren ; and J. Francis
Murphy is represented by a trio of landscapes,
"Early Morning on the Marshes," "Spring Time"
and "Sunset." The animal pictures are among
the most striking in the splendid array. "Hol-
stein Bull," by Carlton Wiggins, is a most strenu-
ous production. "The Lions," by Jan Van Es-
sen, are marvels of lifelike production, and the
cattle in various productions are true to nature.
It would be hard to idealize "Contentment" more
perfectly than G. Henkes has in his figure of an
old man smoking a clay pipe by a blazing fire.
Here are also two masterpieces of William Mor-
ris Hunt, the "Ophelia" and "Pine Woods,"
which represent this great teacher of all that was
best in art in his highest quality. Both canvases
have been sought after by the Metropolitan Mus-
eum. And here we see another one of our early
men, George Fuller, so nobly represented by
"Hoeing Tobacco," which is a canvas of such
rare tonal effect that one cannot but think of
Millett and the "Angelus." Homer D. Martin
has a scene on these walls which any collector of
American pictures would covet, "The Sea at \'il-
lerville." W'hat greatness has been developed
in this view of the raging sea ! The Barbizon
school of painters have two pictures of great
beauty and show the masters, Corot and Dau-
bigny, in all their excellence. Monticelli, the
noted coJorist, has a rare canvas here, "The Gar-
den Party."

It is fortunate for the city of Scranton to have
such a fine collection of the works of the best
artists. It is doubly fortttnate that it is in the
possession of such a man as James G. Shepherd,
who is a broad man of democratic tastes, who
delights in having other people share his pleasure.
He is easy of approach and generous in all things.
No person who has a real interest in art will have
his request for a view of his pictures refused. An
interior view of his gallery will accompany this
sketch.

2-2



REESE G. BROOKS. While Reese G.
Brooks cannot boast of long ancestral con-
nection with the history of Pennsylvania, he
is himself a native son of Scranton and one
whose life record demonstrates the business
possibilities that the new world affords to its
citizens, for from a humble position in the
mines he has steadily advanced by reason of
his' efficiency and capability until he is today
one of the leading coal operators of the Wyom-
ing \'alle}'. Many other business enterprises
and public movements have also felt the stim-
ulus of his energy and determination, which
have proven resultant factors not only in win-
ning his personal success but in promoting
the general prosperity of this portion of the
state and advancing its material improve-
ments.

The Brooks family is of English lineage,
\MlIiam Brooks, father of Reese G. Brooks,
having been born in Monmouthshire, England,
where his father was an agriculturist. In
1842 William Brooks came to America, set-
tling in Scranton. His first business connec-
tions here was with the Lackawanna Iron &
Coal Company and later he entered the ser-
vice of the Delaware, Lackawanna & West-
ern Railroad Company. Subsequently he
turned his attention to agricultural pursuits,
making his home upon a farm in Spring Brook
township until he retired from active business
life. His last days were passed in Scranton,.
where he died in 1888. His wife, who bore the
maiden name of Sarah Powell, was born in
Devonock, Wales, near the castle occupied by
Adelina Patti, the celebrated singer. Mr. and
.Mrs. Brooks became the parents of six sons
and two daughters, and two of the sons and
the daughters are now living, H. J. Brooks,
being foreman for the Laflin Coal Company.

The natal day of Reese G. Brooks was
December 25, 1846. He was a student in the
Hyde Park school of Scranton, and was a
youth of sixteen years when General Lee in-
vaded Pennsylvania in 1863. He then joined
an emergency company raised in this locality
and went to Harrisburg, where he was de-



i8



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



tailed for hospital service, being discharged
on the expiration of his three months term.
Following his return home Mr. Brooks entered
upon his business career as a brakesman on
the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Rail-
road, serving in that capacity until the fall
of 1864. He then again entered the army and
did duty with a corps in eastern Tennessee^
being present at the battles of Chattanooga
and Missionary Ridge. He went from the
former place to Cleveland, Tennessee, and on
to Dalton and Athens, Georgia, and following
the cessation of hostilities in the spring of
1865 he received an honorable discharge and
returned home.

It was in the same year that Mr. Brooks
became identified with the great department of
labor which has since claimed his time, ener-
gies and attention. He was for three years
employed in the mines of the Alount Pleasant
Coal Company, gaining a practical knowledge
of the best methods of taking the mineral from
the mines and placing it in marketable shape.
He next had charge of a shaft for the Lacka-
wanna Iron & Steel Company, became general
inside foreman and was then promoted to the
position of general superintendent of the coal
department, in which capacity he served for
twenty-five years.

In the meantime Mr. Brooks began oper-
ating in coal on his own account, organizing
the Greenwood Coal Company in 1884. He
has since been its president and has developed
the business until a low estimate places the
capacity of the mines at fifteen hundred tons
per day. In May, 1892, he organized the
Langlifle Coal Company with a capacity of
seven hundred tons daily, with one breaker
and shaft located at Avoca, on the boundary
line between Luzerne and Lackawanna
counties. He has also been president of this
company from its organization, and is like-
wise the chief official of the Latlin Coal Com-
pany, which was formed in 1894 and operates
mines at Laflin, Luzerne county, fourteen
miles from Scranton. There are a breaker
and shaft with a capacity of one thousand
tons per day, and employment is furnished to
more than two thousand men. While with the
Lackawanna Iron & Steel Company Mr.
Brooks assisted in the organization of the
Bridge Coal Company and acted as president
until the business was sold. In more recent
years he organized the Lee Coal Company
and after placing the business on a successful



basis sold out. He is likewise a member of the
firm of McClave, Brooks & Company, manu-
facturers of patent grates and blowers ; is a
director of the Dime and West Side Banks of
Scranton ; and a member of the Scranton
board of trade. His gradual advancement
from a minor position in the industrial world
to one of controlling prominence as a repre-
sentative of the coal trade demonstrates clear-
ly the force of his character, his determination,
his energy and business sagacity. Moreover,
he has made for himself a name that is honored
in all business transactions because of the
straightforward policy he has ever followed
and his close adherence to the strictest com-
mercial ethics.

Mr. Brooks was married in Scranton to
Miss Mary A. Morgan, a native of Carbon
county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of
George Morgan, one of the oldest miners en-
gaged in Nesquehoning. Mr. and Mrs.
Brooks had five children: Margaret, the wife
of W. R. McClave ; Thomas R., secretary of
all the coal companies in which his father is
interested ; George G., a civil engineer who
was graduated from the Wyoming Seminarv
and from Cornell University ; John H., a grad-
uate of Princeton College and assistant secre-
tary of the coal companies ; and Cora M., the
wife of Willard Matthews.

Mrs. Reese G. Brooks, who died March
27, 1905, was a woman of such unusual char-
acter that when her death occurred, abso-
lutely without warning, it seemed that the en-
tire city mourned. So softly had she stepped
through life, so silent had been her ministra-
tions, so unassuming her manner, that it was
not until the news of her untimely death
shocked a vast circle of friends that they rea-
lized how very much she had meant in their
lives. Passionately devoted to her family —
and no mother had reason to be prouder of
sons and daughters than had she — she found
time to be good to a multitude of those who
needed her in one capacity or another. The
friends of her earlier years before the founda-
tions of her present luxury were laid, never
were forgotten. Lavishly she gave of herself
and her money to aid distress, and there were
many whose benedictions followed her to the
grave with their tears. Mrs. Brooks had been
for many years a manager of the Home for the
Friendless, where her judgment, unusual in
its judicial balance, was continually sought.
When she died, aged inmates of the institu-




EWGDEY CKAS P HM.T_



ff



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



19



tion, whose own griefs and misfortunes had
been ahnost too bitter for tears, filled the cor-
ridors with their lamentations for the loss of
the best friend they had ever known.

In community affairs Mr. Brooks has been
■active and influential, regarding- the duties of
citizenship as worthy of his best interests and
serving with fidelity in the various positions
to which he has been called by his fellow
townsmen. For four years he was a member
of the board of school control, and for seven
years a member of the poor board. He was
elected on the Republican- ticket to represent
the fifth ward in the select council and by
popular suffrage was retained in the office of
cit}' treasurer of Scranton for seven years. He
has served as chairman of the county and city
committees at different times, and has put
forth strenuous effort toward winning Repub-
lican success, believing that the party plat-
iorm contains the best elements of good gov-
ernment.

Long years of untiring devotion to busi-
ness led Mr. Brooks to desire rest and recrea-
tion in 1896, and in June of that year he went
abroad with one hundred and fiftv members
of the JNIanufacturers' Club of Philadelphia,
visiting Italy, Germany, France, Belgium,
Holland, Attstria, England, Wales and Ire-
land. He traveled about fifteen thousand
miles upon the trip, covering three months.
He has also traveled extensively in his native
land, and much of his recreation comes
through his membership with the Wawayanda
Club of Long Island, the Scranton Club and
'the Rod and Reel Forest Club, the last named
owning a fine club house and ten thousand
acres of land in Wayne count) - , Pennsylvania.

PULASKI CARTER, deceased, was one of
the strongest characters and most useful men of
his day. He inherited in marked degree the ster-
ling traits of his New England ancestry, and his
name was ever a synonym for the strictest in-
tegrity and most uncompromising devotion to
principle. His family has been from the begin-
ning of its history in America, notable for patri-
otism and public spirit of the highest quality.

The first Carters of whom we have authentic
record in this country are Thomas Carter, black-
smith, and Mary his wife. Their names appear
upon the church record in Charlestown, Massa-
chusetts, in 1636. They were married in Eng-
land. Their children were : Thomas, -Joseph,
Samuel, John, ^lary and Hannah. The will of



Thomas Carter, senior, was recorded in 1652. He
died possessed of considerable landed property.
His wife Mary died in 1664, and her death is thus
recorded : "Mary Carter, mother of the Carters
in town."

Joseph Carter, second son of Thomas, was a

currier. He married Susanna , in 1662.

He was first of Charlestown, but later lived on
the old Bellerica road, Woburn, Massachusetts,
with his son, Joseph, junior. He died December
30, 1676. Joseph, junior, lived in Woburn, Mas-
sachusetts, married Bethia Pearson, and at his
demise in 1692, left three sons and three daugh-
ters. His son John, born February 26, 1676,
moved to Canterbury, Connecticut, with his wife
Mary about 1706. He was the father of John,
junior, born in Canterburv, Februarv 24, 1709.
John, junior, married Deborah Bundy, and they
had nine children. His son Joseph was born July



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 130)