Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 42 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 42 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


means, having been in the fullest sense of the
term the architect of his own fortunes. In poli-
tics he was a stalwart advocate of the principles
and policies of the Republican party, and frater-
nally he was identified with Union Lodge, Xo.
291, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, was a
charter member of the local organization of the
Sons of St. George, and also affiliated with the
Ancient Order of Foresters and the Improved
Order of Heptasophs. He was a member of the
Episcopal Church.



On March 25, 1869, was solemnized the mar-
riage of ;Mr. Sykes to Miss Charlotte Hirsch-
man, daughter of John and Amy (Dailey)
Hirschman, who were at that time residents of
Scranton, Pennsylvania. Of the twelve children
born to Air. and Mrs. Sykes all are living except
two, the names being as follows : William J.,
John K., Harry R., Frederick E., Walter W.,
Robert B., Mary P., Samuel S., Charlotte J.,
Edward D., James A. (deceased), and Nancy A.
(deceased). All the sons are mechanics and mas-
ters of the brickmason's trade with the exception
of Robert, who is a solicitor for a leading New
York concern.

RUDOLPH KUXZ. .Men of deeds are the
men whom the world delights to honor, and he
who out of the material that is within his reach
brings into being that which adds to the com-
fort, convenience or happiness of men follows in
the steps of the great architect of all things. All
the countless and useful inventions lived first in
the minds of men, and thence have they been
brought forth and given form and substance.

Among the well known captains of industry
in the city of Scranton is numbered Rudolph
Kunz, who has obtained no little prominence as
one of the progressive and successful job printers
of the city, having a well equipped establish-
ment at 505-7 Cedar avenue. His office has one
cylinder press and two job presses, and the mo-
tive power is furnshed by a gas engine of five
horse-power capacity. The complement of type
faces and other modern accessories of a first-class
printery are found in the office, and all work is
handled by able artisans, so that the results at-
tained are of the utmost excellence. In addi-
tion to the regular work of job printing he man-
ufactures rubber stamps of all kinds, possessing
for that purpose a complete line of the latest ma-
chinery. This is the only rubber stamp estab-
lishment in the northeastern section of the state,
and this branch of his work is constantly growing
and reaching out into new fields. ]\Ir. Kunz es-
tablished himself in his present location in 1893,
and here he has built up a large and prosperous
business, the work turned out standing as the
best of advertising for the establishment.

Rudolph Kunz was born in X^ohen, Germany,
December 31, 1869, being a son of John and
Anna M. (Hoft'man) Kunz. who immigrated
from their fatherland to America when our sub-
ject was but two years of age. They located in
Scranton. Pennsylvania, and here the father still
maintains his home. The father was a tailor by



200



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



trade and followed the same as a vocation in his
native land, but in the United States he found the
methods and fashions so radically different that
he found it expedient to abandon the work of his
trade and turn his attention to other lines of in-
dustrial enterprise. His devoted wife was sum-
moned into eternal rest a number of years ago,
and of their two children the subject of this re-
view is the one surviving, his sister Barbara hav-
ing died in childhood.

Mr. Kunz secured his educational training in
the public schools of Scranton, and here he served
a thorough apprenticeship at the trade of printer.
He was employed as a journeyman for ten years
in one place, resigning his position only when he
found it possible to establish himself in business
on his own account. He retains the confidence
and respect of the business men of the city, and
thus has been successful in his efforts since start-
ing his independent career. In politics INIr. Kunz
is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Re-
publican party so far as national and state issues
are involved, but in local affairs he maintains an
independent attitude. In a fraternal way we find
him identified with the Improved Order of Red
Men and the Knights o.f the Golden Eagle.

August 29, 1893, was solemnized the mar-
riage of Mr. Kunz to Anna M. Blum and they
have four children, Rudolph J., Philip W.,
Emma, and Henry W.

FREDERICK SCHRADER was for many
years a well known business man of Scranton, and
was also prominent in public affairs, taking a lead-
ing part in the organization of the municipality
and serving as one its first ofiicers, also aiding
largely in promoting the development of the city,
along industrial and commercial lines. Addi-
tional interest attaches to his name from the fact
that his family was early identified with the Wy-
oming Valley, and bore a large part in its settle-
ment and upbuilding.

Frederick Schrader was born in the historic
village of Frankentlial, in Rhenish Bavaria, bor-
dering on France, December 23, 1818. His father
was a brass founder, and was not only an accom-
plished workman, but the possessor of fine artis-
tic tastes which found expression in his handi-
work. Bavaria had long been famous for its per-
fectly harmonized chimes, and the exquisite
beautN' of the bells, with their bas relief adorn-
ments of flowers, leaves and other designs, and
their lettered inscriptions, quaint, and oftentimes
pathetic. Such was the work to which the elder
Schrader gave himself, and with such masterly



skill as to win high praise and make for himself
a yet remembered name. After his death his
widow came to America, bringing with her the
fatherless children, one son, Frederick, and six
daughters, one of whom became the wife of John
Riker, of the well-known Riker family of Wilkes-
Barre, a narrative of which appears elsewhere in
this work. Mrs. Schrader's coming to this country
was under the inducements held out by the will
of Captain Philip Schrader, a grand-uncle of her
husband. Captain Schrader left a large estate,
principally in lands in Pennsylvania which had
been patented to him by the government of the
United States in recognition of his military serv-
ices in the cause of American independence. He
served in the Wyoming Valley, and he con-
structed the famous redoubt which was thrown
up for the protection of the infant settlement at
Wilkes-Barre, the remains of which are yet visi-
ble within the present limits of the city, on an
extension of River street. Captain Schrader's
possessions included large tracts of land at Eas-
ton, Pittston, on Bear creek, and on the Dela-
ware river in northeastern Pennsylvania. His
name is commemorated in Schrader's creek. He
died near Easton, leaving no children. He was
an ardent American in spirit, and he provided
that in order to obtain inheritance in his estate,
his kindred in Germany should come to the
United States, establish a residence here, and as-
sume the obligations of citizenship. As a further
inducement to his heirs to come to this country
he offered a large sum of money to the first child
born in the United States to such immigrants.

Frederick Schrader had received a thorough
education in the schools of his native land, and
he readily gained a familiar knowledge of the
English language, and speedily adapted himself
to his new conditions. His mother had located
with her family in Wilkes-Barre, where in course
of time Frederick became a partner witli his
brother-in-law, John Riker, in the brewery busi-
ness. After many years of pleasant and profit-
able association this partnership was dissolved.
During this period Mr. Schrader cultivated many
social relationships, taking particular interest in
the state militia, with which he was actively iden-
tified for several years. Among his most highly
prized possessions was a medal awarded him for
crack marksmanship while a member of that
body. On parting with ^Ir. Riker, Mr. Schrader
removed to Scranton, where he established a bot-
tling business in the building now occupied as a
flouring mill, on South Blakely avenue. Later he
located in Petersburg, but the water supply be-




FREDERICK SCHRADER



THE WYO^IING AND LACKAW^VXNA VALLEYS.



201



came so greatly diminished owing to mining op-
erations in the neighborhood that removal was
imperative. He now set up his business on Mul-
berry street, near the Thompson Hospital, and
occupied these premises until 1877, when it was
removed to its present location at 826-828 Adams
avenue. In this enterprise Air. Schrader was
eminently successful, building up a large business
and creating a valuable property, which he re-
tained during the remainder of his life. Display-
ing all the attributes of the well equipped man of
affairs Mr. Schrader was also identified w'ith
various other industrial and commercial interests,
and took a prominent part in public affairs. He
aided in the organization of the city government,
and was the first city treasurer, filling the position
mots capably and honorably. He was subse-
quently a member of the city council, and during
the formative period rendered valuable service
in promoting the development of the city, lending
his aid to the laying out and paving of streets,
procuring v\'ater and gas supply, and the erec-
tion of public buildings. In politics he was a
stanch Democrat, and occupied a position of ac-
knowledged leadership in his party. He was a
member of the order of Odd Fellows, and of
other beneficial societies. He regularly attended
the Lutheran Church, and was a generous con-
tributor to its support, and to the maintenance
of its various charities. A man of unbounded
generosity, he constantly bestowed his benefac-
tions, even beyond what was justified by his
means, being too tender-hearted to refuse an ap-
peal for aid. Of excellent social qualities, he
made many friends, and throughout the commu-
nitv he was held in high regard by those not
intimate with him for his cheerfulness of disposi-
tion and for the deep sympathy and ready aid
which the distressed and unfortunate ever re-
ceived at his hand.

For the last ten years of his life, terminating
witli his death, Mr. Schrader had been afflicted
â– with entire loss of sight. While incapacitated
for business in large degree, he did not permit
this greflt sorrow to undulv prev upon his mind,
and retained his warmth of spirits and genial dis-
position to the last. His death was deeply de-
plored by a large circle of friends, and especially
by the many to whom he had ever been a ready
and willinsr helper.

Air. Schrader was twice married. His first
wife was ]\Iiss Anna Bartels. a sister of Arnold
Bartels. Her death occurred in 1852. On April
26. i860, I\lr. Schrader married Miss A. W.
Brink, a daughter of Jonathan and Rosa (Dex-



ter) Brink, her father being a farmer and lum-
berman in Wayne county, Pennsylvania. During
the ten years of her husband's blindness she man-
aged the business, at the same time giving un-
remitting personal care to him. She was ever
one with him in ministering to the wants of the
needy and suffering, and continues to dispense
a liberal charity, modestly and quietly, but with
a winning grace which adds to the value of her
benefactions. She is at the same time a woman
of marked business ability, and her establishment
is numbered among the important business en-
terprises of the city.

CAPTAIN DOLPH B. ATHERTON is
justly numbered among the foremost of the men
to whose indefatigable energies is due much of
the commercial and industrial growth of the city
of Scranton. He has aided in the creation and
development of some of its most important enter-
prises, and in the capacity of secretary of the
board of trade, and afterward as vice-president
of that body, he was diligent and untiring in his
efforts to procure the location o^ new industries
in the city, and which in their fir.ij establishment
stand in large degree as monuments to his public-
spirit, energy and consummate ability.

Captain Atherton was born in Dimmock
township, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania,
July 22, 1858, a son of Jerre and Clara L. (Bul-
lard) Atherton. The Atherton family is of Eng-
lish extraction, and the American branch was
planted in the earlv colonial days by Jonathan
Atherton, who came from England, and with a
brother settled in Franklin county, Massachu-
setts. There was born Jonathan, junior, son of
Jonathan, the immigrant. He was a farmer by
occupation, held various public offices, and died
at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. By
his marriage with Huldah Chamberlain he had
the following children : Susan, [Martha, Alva,
Almeda, Ralph, who came to Pennsylvania about
1830 and subsequently removed to Illinois ; Ma-
ria, Permelia, Jonathan A. and Zora.

Jonathan A. Atherton, son of Jonathan. Jr.,
and Huldah (Chamberlain) Atherton, was born
in Greenfield, Massachusetts, April 19, 1810. He
attended the primitive schools of that day, and
when fourteen years old became a shoemaker's
apprentice, served as such for five years, and later
traveled as a journeyman. While in Brattleboro,
\'ermont. he married Ellen S. Bennett, a native
of that place, a descendant of an old Connecticut
family. In 18.^^, with his wife and two children
(John R. and Henrv F.) he came to Pennsvlva-



202



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



nia, making the journey from Brattleboro in a
one-horse covered wagon, and located at West
Troy (now Wyoming) where his brother Ralph
had previously settled. In 1838 he removed to
Hyde Park and worked at his trade until 1846,
when he bought coal lands in the Keiser Valley.
This he sold in 1855, when he purchased a fine
farm in South IJridgewater township, Susque-
hanna county, which property is yet in possession
of his descendants. His wife died there in
March, 1861, having borne her husband nine
children : one died in infancy ; Fred died
in Susquehanna county, August i, 1873, aged
twenty-six years ; and the eldest, John R., died in
Hyde Park in 1851. The others were: Henry
F., born in Bernardston, Massachusetts, July 30,
1834; Jerre, to be referred to hereafter; Rosella,
wife of Hon. T. H. B. Lewis, of Wilkes-Barre,
a lawyer and ex-member of the legislature ; Bick-
nell B. ; Florence, who became the wife of David
Sherer ; and Sophia, wife of H. T. Lake, of Bing-
hamton, New York.

Jerre Atherton, son of Jonathan A. and Ellen
S. (Bennett) Atherton, was born in 1836 in what
is now Wyoming, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania.
He was two years old when his parents removed
to Hyde Park, where he received his education
in the common schools. At the age of nineteen
years (in 1855) he located in Susquehanna coun-
ty, where he engaged in making fine carriages,
calling to his aid the best mechanics of the day.
In 1857 he removed to Montrose, and was there
engaged in business until 1863. In the latter
year, the turning point of the great Civil war,
he responded to the call of Governor Andrew G.
Curtin for emergency troops to repel the rebel
invasion, and served from June 16 until July 27,
having previously performed military duty as a
member of the Twenty-eighth Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Militia. In November, 1864, he
located in Scranton, and entered the employ of
the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, and his
record in connection with that corporation was
one of steady advancement, testifying at once tO'
his ability and fidelity. After serving for some
time as general coal inspector, in 1866 he was
made superintendent of the Grassy Island mines
at Oliphant, which he opened and operated for
two years, and then became superintendent of the
Leggett"s Creek mines. In 1882 he took a simi-
lar position in connection with the Marvine mines.
In the same year he was placed in charge of the
Manville mines, under the Delaware & Hudson
and the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western com-
panies, and served in that capacity for ten years,



relinquishing his post in 1892 to become assistant
outside superintendent of the Delaware & Hud-
son Canal Company under Superintendent A. H.
\'andling, and holding the position until the re-
tirement of that gentleman, January i, 1897. Mr.
Atherton is an exemplary member of the Presby-
terian church, and is a Republican in politics. He
is affiliated with Hiram Lodge, No. 261, F. and A.
M., and is a member of the New England So-
ciety. At Montrose, Pennsylvania, February 22,
1857, Mr. Atherton married Miss Clara L. Bul-
lard, daughter of Hezekiah and Matilda (Dean)
Bullard. Her father was born in West North-
ampton, Massachusetts, was a soldier in the war
of 1812, and became a pioneer settler in Susque-
hanna county, Pennsylvania, where he died at the
age of eighty years ; his wife came from a repre-
sentative New England family. ]\Irs. Atherton
died August 12, 1871, leaving a son. Captain
Dolph B. Atherton. Mr. Atherton subsequently
married, in Scranton, Mrs. Nellie M. (Frost)
Blair, a native of Boston, Massachusetts, and who
was reared and educated in that city and in
Springfield, same state. Her parents were Sam-
uel and Dolly (Green) Frost. Her father was
born in Charlestown, Massachusetts, and was a
successful carriage manufacturer in Springfield ;
his wife was a native of Peperell. Massachusetts.

Dolph B. Atherton, only child of Jerre and
Clara L. (Bullard) Atherton, was seven years
of age when his parents removed to Scranton,
with which city he has been uninterruptedly iden-
tified to the present time. Until he was eleven
years old he attended the public schools, and was
then for a year a student in Wyoming Seminary
at Kingston. He entered upon a self-supporting
career at the early age of thirteen, as weigher and
coal inspector for the Delaware & Hudson Canal
Company. On attaining his majority, in 1881,
he left that company to become bookkeeper with
Ambrose L. Spencer, in the Green Ridge Iron
Works. He served so acceptably that after five
years in that position he was advanced to the re-
sponsible post of general manager, and rendered
efficient service as such imtil 1894, when on ac-
count of other pressing business demands he re-
signed.

On retiring from the service of the Green
Ridge Iron Works, Captain Atherton entered
upon the duties of secretary of the board of trade,
a position in which he made a brilliant record,
infusing into the body new life, and leading it
into new fields of usefulness. During his incum-
bency of the office the board performed much of
its most efficient service in procuring the estab-



THE \A"VOMIXG AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



203'



lishment of various industrial and commercial en-
terprises which became important factors in the
business life of the community, as well as in lead-
ing to the inception of public improvements
which were greatly to the advantage of the city
along the lines of utility, beauty and improved
sanitary conditions. One of the larg.e works ac-
complished during his secretaryship was the erec-
tion of the present board of trade building, one
of the finest edifices of its class in the state, by
the Board of Trade Real Estate Company, which
he aided in organizing, and of which he was sec-'
retary and treasurer for a period of five years.
In all the projects undertaken by the board of
trade. Captain Atherton was a foremost actor,
contributing largely to their success through his
wise forethought, energy and personal influence.
On resigning from the secretaryship in April,
1902, the board, desirous of retaining his interest
and service, elected him to the vice-presidency,
which position he has occupied to the present time.
His retirement from the more laborious duties of
the secretaryship was due to his being called upon
to take charge of the bond department of the Title
Guaranty and Trust Companv, and to also serve
as secretary of the corporation, which two-fold
position he continues to occupy, bringing to his
duties abilities of the highest practical order. He
is also identified with numerous financial and in-
dustrial enterprises, and is numbered among the
most efficient of the city's many busy and capable
men of large alTairs. An earnest advocate of
the public school system, he was for four years
a member of the board of school control, and for
one year its president. He has taken high rank
in the Masonic fraternity, being past master of
Hiram Lodge, No. 261, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; a member of the Scottish Rite bodies,
thirty-second degree, and of Ireni Temple, No-
bles of the Mystic Shrine, of Wilkes-Barre. He
is a member of the Scranton Club, the Country
Club, and the Young Men's Christian Associa-
tion of Scranton, in which he is a trustee. He
is a director, secretary and treasurer of the Wash-
ington (North Carolina) Water Company.

Captain Atherton acquired his military title
through honorable and useful service in time of
war. At the outbreak of the war with Spain he
enlisted in the Eleventh Regiment, National
Guard, Pennsylvania, under Col. L. A. Watres.
Captain Atherton was ccmmissioned adjutant,
with the rank of first lieutenant, and served in
tnat capacity until the regiment was disbanded
at the close of the war. and also rendered efficient
service as secretarv and treasurer of the Soldiers'



Relief Association, which was formed to care
for the families of soldiers at the front, many
of whom were in almost destitute circumstances.
Captain Atherton's duties in this emergency were-
of a most arduous nature, entailing great labor^
and involving weightv responsibilities, but he ac-
quitted himself so creditably as to win the en-
tire approval of the patrons of the great fund,
as well as the gratitude of their beneficiaries.
At the reorganization of the Thirteenth Regi-
ment, under Col. L. A. Watres, Captain Ather-
ton was commissioned adjutant, with the rank of
captain, and served until September 25, 1904,
when both the officers named resigned, the pe-
riod for which they were commissioned having
expired. From September 22 to November i,
1902, a period of forty days. Captain Atherton
performed service with his regiment during the
coal miners' disturbances, being with the head-
quarters of his regiment at Olyphant, this tour
of duty being at once irksome, responsible and
particularly dangerous. He acquitted himself
throughout with the courage and discretion which
characterized the ideal soldier, and received warm
commendation from his superiors. He is well
regarded in military circles for his service and
ability : is popular in the social circles of his home
city, and by the local business community is cher-
ished for his loyalty to its interests and his zeal"
in the advancement of its manifold interests.

Captain Atherton married, October 21, 1 88 1,
Miss ]\Ielinda Griffin, daughter of Elisha H.
Griffin, one of the honored pioneers of Scranton.
To Captain and Mrs. Atherton was born a son,
Ralph Nelson, February 23, 1883. He was edu-
cated in the public schools and the University
of Pennsylvania.

JOHN SCHEUER, Sr. We are pleased to
incorporate in this publication a brief review of"
the career of this venerable and honored citizen
and pioneer business man of Scranton, where he
took up his abode more than half a century ago
as an immigrant from Germanv and one with
practically no resources save those represented in
his intelligence, energ\- and integrity of purpose.
From the most modest of beginnings he rose to
a position of prominence and influence in the
local business circles, and while he is now living
retired from active industrial associations is well
known to the leading citizens of Scranton and"
is held in the highest esteem as a citizen and as
one who contributed his quota to the industrial
advancement of the city in which he has so long-
maintained his home.



204.



THE W'YOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Mr. Scheuer was born in the kingdom of
Bavaria, Germany, June 9, 1829, and was there
reared and educated, while he there learned the
trade of linen weaving in his youth. He was
one of those ardent young spirits who took part
in the revolution of 1848, and as a result he found
it expedient to leave the fatherland and seek his
fortunes in America, of whose institutions and
constitutional principles he had been a deep ad-
mirer long before this. He arrived in New York
city September 20, 1849, and, in company with
five other immigrants, made his way on foot to
Dunmore, Pennsylvania, thence to Pittston and
from there back to Slocum Hollow, as Scranton
was then known. Here he secured employment



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 42 of 130)