Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 47 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


years he has been a teacher of music. He mar-
ried Catharine IMiller, who was born in 1831 in
Germany, and their children are : Matilda, who
became the wife of L. A. Raush, of Philadelphia ;
William, who lives in Scranton ; Louis, men-



tioned at length hereafter ; Charles, who is a res-
ident of Scranton; Edward; Emma, who is -the
wife of Theodore Hamberger, of Baltimore,
Maryland ; Josephine, who is married to Dr. L.
Wehlau, of Scranton; Louise, who was the first
wife of Dr. \\'ehlau ; and Otto R.

Louis Conrad, son of Andrew and Catharine
(Miller) Conrad, was born November 5, 1861,
in Pottsville, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. In
1866 the family moved to Scranton, where he was
educated in the public schools. He began his bus-
iness career as a clerk in the store of Moses
Brown, and after a time opened a furnishing
store where he has ever since conducted a very
extensive trade. Mr. Conrad is connected with
several enterprises of a progressive tendency,
among which is the Correspondence Institute of
America at Scranton. He was one of the organ-
izers of Rocky Glen Park, and is a member of the
board of trade. He is a member of the ^vlasonic
fraternity, the order of Elks and the Liederkranz
Singing Society.

Mr. Conrad married, October 26, 1886, Eliza-
beth Morton, and they are the parents of two
children : Paul, born in 1893 ; and Louise, born
in 1898. Mrs. Conrad is a daughter of Thomas
Morton, who came from England about 1868,
and followed the calling of a bellhanger. His
wife was Elizabeth Steel, and their family con-
sisted of the following chidren : Margaret, who
is the widow of Roland Davis, of Scranton ; Will-
iam, who lives in Scranton; Emma, who is the
wife of Edward Anderson ; Anna, who is mar-
ried to Thomas Jones ; Florence, a resident of
Scranton ; Elizabeth, who became the wife of
Louis Conrad, as mentioned above ; Thomas, who
is a resident of Scranton ; and Edith, who is the
wife of D. A. Hall.

FRANCIS SCHEINFELTER PAULI, de-
ceased, one of the oldest and most highly respect-
ed citizens of Scranton, possessed a most notable
and honorable lineage. He was of the tenth gen-
eration of a line that reached back to the great
leaders of the church in the period of the Re-
formation, and among his ancestors was a long
succession of ministers of the Reformed Church.
Through his mother's family he was related to
another ancient family, that of Van der Sloats, a
celebrated professional family of Virginia.

The Pauli family originated in the famous
city of Leipsic, in Saxon Germany. There Adrian
Pauli was pastor of Peter's Church, and died in
161 1. George, his second son, studied in the
Reformed Gymnasium at Dantzic, then at Held-



224



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



elberg University, and became professor of ethics
in the first named of these institutions, and the
successor of Fabricius as preacher in Trinity
Church. After the death o.f Fabricius, in 163 1,
a Lutheran was called to the rectorship of the
Gymnasium, with whom he had often to combat
in polemics for the Reformed faith. He died in
1650. Reinhold, younger son of Adrian Pauli,
was a student at the Bremen Gymnasium under
Professor jNIartinius. He then studied three
years at Groentengen and also at the University
of Leyden, under the celebrated Professor Coc-
cius. In 1663 he went to Heidelberg University,
where he received the degree of doctor, and was
called to. the Gymnasium in Berzstein as profes-
sor of theology. He married into the family of
the celebrated Reformed minister at Heidelberg,
Tossamus ( or Toussaint ) , whose ancestor Peter
had been the friend of Calvin and the reformer of
Monpelzard. He then went to Marburg Univer-
sity, where he became professor extraordinary,
and in 1674 regular professor. His daughter
married Professor Lewis Christian Meig, of
Heidelberg, the other daughter marrying Profes-
sor J. H. Hottinger.

Herman Rheinhold Pauli, the son of the latter
named, was born the year of his father's death,
1682. He studied at Marburg and Bremen.
When hardly twenty years of age he became
court preacher, or chaplain, to the widow of
Count Adolph, of Nassau-Dilleinberg. In 1705
he went to Brunswick as the first pastor of the
Reformed congregation there. He married
Elizabeth Meig, and later (in 1709) a daughter
of the Bremen professor, Yungst. In 1723 he
was called to Frankenthal, in the Palatinate,
where his mother had been born. He was tlien
called to the Halle, to the cathedral built by the
colonists from the Palatinate. On January 20,
1728, he was named by the King of Prussia as
the second minister there, as a pious and learned
man, "of great gifts of preaching." (At Frank-
enthal he had published, in 1726, a collection of
his sermons, "Die Pfalzische Erstling," also an
edition of the Heidelberg Catechism, and a trans-
lation of Placette's book on "The Death of the
Righteous," and these works had spread his fame
abroad). On May 23, 1728, he was installed at
Halle. He also became the first professor of
theology in the Academic Gymnasium, which had
been established in 1709. When the consistoria!
scharden died, in 1734, he was made the head
minister of the cathedral at Halle, and therefore
resigned the professorship of theology. In 1736
he was appointed an inspector of the Reformed
churches and schools at Halle, Wettin, Calve and



Aken. A letter which King Frederick William
of Prussia wrote to show his high regard for him
was dated November 28, 1727, and subsequently
followed with thirteen other letters in all. He
also published twelve doctrinal lectures to the
students after the style of Professor Frank, of
the Halle Orphans' Homes. They were full of
earnest faith, and deep learning. In 1740 he
published an edition of the Heidelberg Cathech-
ism. In 1745 he presented the congregation with
a hymn book he had compiled, and wliich con-
tained a hymn of eight stanzas written by him-
self, "Lobe, lobe meine Herr Zebaoth." The old
Dessauer, Count Leopold of Anhalt-Dessau, who
commanded the regiment of the old Anhalt at
Halle, wrote him a letter dated December 15,
1737. He was a biblical preacher and theologian
of the type of Coccius, whom he praised to his
students as one of the greatest theologians. He
was a mild adherent of pietism, yet in all he was
moist poetical. Great men like the famous geo-
grapher Burching and the political writer John
Jacob Moser, were especially attracted by his
sermons. The King made earnest endeavor to
have him be court preacher at the palace in Ber-
lin, but he declined. His sermons were publish-
ed. He died February 5, 1750. His oldest son,
•Ernest L., became court preacher at Brensberg.
The youngest son, George Jacob, became his suc-
cessor at the cathedral at Halle.

Philip Rheinhold was born at Magdeburg,
and was educated at the Gymnasium at Berlin and
the University of Halle. He traveled through
Europe, with a wealthy uncle, and then came to
America in 1783 as a teacher in the Academy at
Philadelphia, where he received the degree of
Master of Arts. He preached in Reading, and
married Miss Musch, of Easton.

Johannes Pauli was born in Magdeburg, Ger-
many, came to America a young man, and settled
in Philadelphia, where he became a college pro-
fessor. He was a classical scholar and a fine
linguist, and was a preacher in the German Re-
formed Church. During the war of 1812-14 he
went to the front in defense of American inter-
ests. His later years were passed in Reading,
where he died.

Lewis J. Pauli, son of Johannes Pauli, was
born in Reading, Pennsylvania. He was for
some years a merchant in his native place. In
the early days of coal development he sold his
business and located on the present site of Potts-
ville, he and others being the owners of that tract.
He was there engaged in coal mining for a time,
then removing to Philadelphia, and thence to
Easton, where he died at the age of sixtv-four



THE WYO^IING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



225



years, surviving his wife, who died in Philadel-
phia. Her maiden name was Sarah Scheinfel-
ter, and she was born in Reading. At the time
of her marriage she received quite a fortune from
her father, who had become wealthy through the
manufacture of a copper guard. She was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church, and her four chil-
dren were reared in the German Reformed
Church.

Francis Scheinfelter Pauli, son of Lewis J.
and Sarah (Scheinfelter) Pauli, was born in
Reading, March 28, 1823. His childhood days
were passed in the place of his birth, and in Potts-
ville and Philadelphia, where he was educated
in private schools. About 1843 lis engaged in a
mercantile business near Pottsville, which he re-
linquished after a few years, going to Philadel-
phia, and then to New York City, where he was
for a year in the employ of /Alexander T. Stew-
art. In 1857 he took up his residence in Scran-
ton, where he opened a store on Lackawanna
avenue. Later he built the block at Nos. 225 and
227, on the same street, where he conducted busi-
ness until 1881, pursuing a most successful
career. Since that time he occupied himself with
caring for his property interests, and with such
sagacity that he materially increased his fortune,
and came to be known as a moderately wealthy
man. His family residence, at No. 1554 Sander-
son avenue, was one of the first buildings erected
in Green Ridge.

As has appeared in the foregoing ancestral
narrative, Mr. .Pauli "was heir to a quiet, re-
served, pious life, which made him a faithful be-
liever all his life, and a trusting Christian in his
death." In his religious belief he was brought
up in the German Reformed Church, and con-
tinued steadfast in that faith. Because of the
non-existence of a church of his denomination
in Scranton, when he first came to the city, he
connected himself with the First Presbyterian
Church, under the pastorate of Rev. D. Hickok,
about 1857. He remained therewith until the
Green Ridge Presbyterian Church was projected,
in the vicinity of the family residence. It was
largely through his generous aid that this church
was established and its edifice erected, and he
remained one of its most useful and exemplary
members through the remainder of his life. In
addition, he lent continual encouragement and
substantial aid to the church of his boyhood, and
Calvary Reformed Church holds a grateful re-
membrance of him and his pious deeds. He aided
various worthy objects and individuals, dis-
pensing his benefactions with the unassuming
modesty which was one of his principal charac-

2-15



teristics. In politics he was originally a Demo-
crat, but when the Civil war broke out, he identi-
fied himself \\*ith the Republican party under
Abraham Lincoln, and was ever afterward an
earnest advocate of its principles and policies.
He cared nothing for political preferment, was
never a candidate for official position, but was
always a model citizen, faithfully discharging his
duties as a member of the community, and ever
setting the example of an ideal christian gentle-
man. While in Easton he became a member of
the fraternity of Odd Fellows, but relinquished
his connection with the order on his removal to
Scranton. He was a Alason, affiliated with
Union Lodge, No. 291, of Scranton. In all his
business relations he was kno.wn for his unim-
peachable integrity. His personal qualities were
admirable, and he was held in high regard by a
large circle of closely attached friends, among
them the many Paulis and Van der Sloats of
southern Pennsylvania. A cousin was that
splendid soldier and admirable gentleman ( well
known to the writer of this narrative in Civil
war days), Colonel Joseph Audenried, of General
Shemian's staff, and an uncle, Lauis Audenried,.
the celebrated coal operator of Philadelphia.

The death of Mr. Pauli occurred April 20,
1899. He had been ill but a few days, and there
seemed no occasion for alarm. But the physical
was worn out, and succumbed to the exhaustion
consequent upon a long life of ceaseless activity.
His end was peaceful, as that of one who, "sus-
tained and soothed by an unfaltering trust,
wraps the drapery of his couch about him. and
lies down to pleasant dreams." Mr. Pauli mar-
ried Miss Martha Young, of Easton, who sur-
vives him, and with her an only child, Miss Mar-
garet F. Pauli.

EDWARD MERRIFIELD, of Scranton, a
lawyer of great ability, "and a man of broad public
spirit and discernment, and who was conspicu-
ously instrumental in procuring the creation of
the county of Lackawanna, comes from a family
which has been identified with the valley from
its early settlement. His great-great-grand-
father, Robert Merrifield, was a native of Eng-
land, born in 1703, who on coming to America
settled in Rhode Island. William, only son of
the immigrant, was born in Rhode Island, 1752,
and was brought by his father to Dutchess
county, New York, and lived in that and the ad-
joining county of Columbia until his death, in
1836; he was a school teacher by occupation..
Robert, son of William, was born in Columbia
county, in 1778, and in 1819 removed with his.



226



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



family to Pennsylvania, settling the then town-
ship of Providence, subsequently Hyde Park, and
established his home, where he resided until his
death, at the advanced age of nearly eighty-seven
3'ears.

Hon. William INlerrifield, son of Robert ]\Ier-
rifield, came to be one of the foremost men of his
■day. He was born in Pine Plains, Dutchess
county, New York, April 22, 1806, and was thir-
teen years old when his father came to Pennsyl-
vania. He assisted in felling the mighty trees
and making the home farm. His education was
limited to such as was afforded by the poorly
■equipped schools of that time, yet he made such
excellent use of his small opportunities that he
became qualified to teach, and for five winters
was engaged in that occupation. While teaching
in Wyoming he married Almira Swetland.a sis-
ter of William Swetland, and soon afterward en-
gaged in a mercantile business in Centre More-
land, Luzerne county. After a year he located
in Hyde Park, where he was appointed postmas-
ter, holding the office about ten years ; it is to be
noted that the office was established through his
effort while he was teaching there two years be-
fore, and he had served as the first postmaster.
During his residence in Hyde Park the second
time, he erected a store building and successfully
carried on business vmtil 1864. He had early
foreseen the advantages of the region as a mining
and industrial centre, and in 1837 ^^^ become
joint owner in the principal portion of territory
now occupied by the central part of the city of
Scranton. Through correspondence and other
means he had attracted the attention of capitalists
and in 1840 the tract was disposed of to Colonel
George W. Scranton and others, by whose energy
and perseverance the foundations of the present
stirring city were substantially laid. In the per-
iod of its development Mr. Merrifield was a prin-
cipal factor. He gave the first impetus to the
growth of Hyde Park by platting his tract of land
into village lots, and aiding the purchasers in
the establishment of homes, and he subsequently
laid out another tract in the westerly part, known
as "Merrifield's plot of lots in Keyser's Valley."
He was an ardent friend of education ; served as
school director at the time of building the first
frame school house in Hyde Park, and occupied
the same position during the construction of the
succeeding graded school building. In 1870 he
became president of the Hyde Park Bank, which
tmder his administration became a flourishing
institution, enjoying the confidence of the entire
community.

He also rendered public services of a more



important nature and in a larger field. In 1843
he was elected to the legislature, and acquitted
himself with such integrity and usefulness that
he was twice re-elected. As a legislator he was
regarded as a safe advisor and capable leader.
Ijesides serving on other committees he was a
member of that on ways and means, at one ses-
sion was chairman of the committee on banks, and
at another was chainnan of the committee on in-
land navigation and public improvements, at that
time regarded as one of the most responsible posi-
tions in the house. His eftforts for the welfare
of the Lackawanna Valley exhibit him on the
legislative records as the ablest o.f all its cham-
pions. This is particularly true by reason of the
intrigueing attempts made at that time by other
sections of the state to burden the anthracite re-
gion with onerous taxation. His speech upon this
question during the session of 1846 was a mas-
terly efifort, and was so replete with statistical
facts and weighty argument that it virtually ef-
fected the defeat of the obnoxious measure aimed
against the valley. His greatest effort, however,
was in behalf of the creation of the new county
of Lackawanna, when he succeeded in securing
the passage of an act of assembly in the lower
house, though it was defeated in the senate, but
by only a tie vote. He was also an enthusiastic
advocate of the extension of the North Branch
canal, and the project of slackwater navigation
on the Susquehanna and Lackawanna rivers, with
a view to opening up the Lackawanna coal fields.
In 1856 he was elected associate judge of Luzerne
county, serving under the presidency of Judge
Conyngham, between whom aiid himself sub-
sisted the most pleasant relations. Prior to com-
ing to the bench he had read law to some degree
for his own information, and this knowledge now
stood him in good part, and he acquitted himself
with ability and credit in the hearing of import-
ant causes in chambers. In each instance he was
called to public office without solicitation upon
his own part, and so bore himself as to receive
the plaudits of his constituents. He was a Dem-
ocrat of the old Jetifersonian school, ever desirous
of the welfare of the people at large, and a con-
scientious advocate of purity in public afTairs, re-
garding public office as a sacred trust. He was
emphatically the architect of his own fortunes.
Aside from the business ability which brought
him a competency, he was a ripe scholar in all
that pertains to an English education. He was a
profound historian, and v\'ell versed in science and
general literature. He was so diligent a reader
that a biographer has expressed the conviction
that his addiction to this pursuit, after he had




C073. ^-v^-;^^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



227



jiassed his seventieth year, was the predisposing
cause of his death. He passed away June 4,
1877, after an illness of a little more than two
-months, universally respected and mourned, and
as the funeral cortege passed through the prin-
cipal business street of the village, business was
entirely suspended in token of respect to his
.memory.

Edward Merrifield, son of Hon. William
Merrifield, was born in Hyde Park, in 1832. He
obtained his elementary education in the com-
mon schools, and later attended the Wyoming
Seminary, and the Oxford (New York) Acad-
emy, graduating from that last named. His
early predilection was for the law, and on com-
pleting his education he entered the law school
•of Judge WacCartney, at Easton, Pennsylvania,
later studied in the offices of H. and C. E. Wright
in \\'ilkes-Barre, and was admitted to the bar in
1855, since which time he has been constantly
■engaged in professional work, his practice ex-
tending to all the courts in the valley. He pos-
sesses an extensive knowledge of technical and
.general law, and his opinions have been habitually
accurate in many important causes with which
he was associated as counsel. His diligence as a
student has not abated with his rise in his pro-
fession, and at the Lackawanna bar he is recog-
nized as one who is ever interested in and con-
versant with the latest and most complicated legal
propositions of the day. He enjoys an extensive
clientele among the best class of citizens, and
represents various of the most important com-
Tnercial and financial interests in the vallev. His
high standing among his professional colleagues
is attested by the fact that he is one of the most
highly regarded members of the Lackawanna
Law and Library Association, and was called to
the presidency of that body for several years.

His principal service to the community at
large, and one for which he will be ever held in
honor, was in connection with the creation of the
new county of Lackawanna. He was a leader
among the influential and far-seeing men who
advocated the movement, for which he labored
with all the earnestness of his nature. He drafted
the organic act, and was one of the most earnest
and constant in securing its passage by the legis-
lature, and, his end attained, contented himself
with resuming his usual avocation, without
thought of personal profit or preferment on ac-
count of his services. A Democrat of the sub-
stantial and consistent type, his political action
is based upon principle rather than personal in-
terest. In recognition of his sincerity and ability
lie has frequently been presented by his party for



various official stations, having been nominated
for recorder of the mayor's court in 1870. and for
judge of the court of common pleas in 1884.
W hile prominent in his profession, he has ever
been a loyal maintainer of the city of Scranton,
has ever taken a deep-seated pride in its advance-
ment, and has exerted his best ability to that end.
In all his relations to the community his conduct
has been characterized by intensity of interest,
earnestness of purpose, and sagacious effort,
without evidence of bustle or self-assertion. His
personal qualities are such as beget confidence,
and attaches friends as with hoops of steel.

THOMAS B. McCLINTOCK. Among the
successful business men of Lackawanna county
must be numbered Thomas B. McClintock, the
leading florist of Scranton. He comes of old
and honored Pennsylvania stock.

Benjamin McClintock, father of Thomas B.
McClintock, was born at Cove, near Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania, a son of John and Sarah McClin-
tock, who resided on a farm in that section of the
state for many years. Benjamin McClintock was
a contractor and builder, and he also owned and
operated a large farm. He married Matilda
Barnett, also a native of Cove, and the following
children were born to them : Annie, Myra, Sallie,
Thomas B., mentioned at length hereafter ; Lo-
gan E., deceased ; and John, deceased.

Thomas B. McClintock was born near Har-
risburg, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, ]\Iarch
5, 1861. He received his education in the schools
of that city, and in 1878 entered the employ of
John Kepple, the well known Harrisburg florist,
and for a short period of time served in the ca-
pacity of foreman. In 1882 he came to Scranton
and went into business for himself, renting a
property on Monroe avenue, between Vine and
Olive streets, where he remained up to 1888,
when he purchased land on Jefferson avenue and
Electric street, where he erected a commodious
conservatory. In 1904, in order to keep pace
with the rapid growth of his business, he was
obliged to erect additional buildings. His first
purchase consisted of one and one-half acres,
upon which he has twenty thousand square feet
of glass, and which is devoted to the growing of
hardy herbs, pansies and roses. He also culti-
vates a tract of four acres in the nineteenth ward
— on Throop street — where he grows carnations
and nursery stock. Later he purchased a one-
half acre plot opposite his greenhouses — on Elec-
tric street — upon which he erected his residence.
He carries a large stock of palms, ferns, roses,
carnations, and decorative material for supply-



228



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



ing all sorts of functions, and one special cause
of the constant increase of his business is his
wide-spread reputation for artistic designs. His
salesrooms, ofifice, etc., are furnished with the
latest appliances peculiar to the business, and are
heated by steam. He employs five men regularly
and many more during the busy season. After
five years of service in Company B, Thirteenth
Regiment, j\lr. jNIcClintock was honorably dis-
charged. He is a member of Green Ridge Lodge,
No. 597, Free and Accepted Masons, the Hep-
tasophs, Alodern Woodmen of America, Knights
of Malta, Anthracite Commandery, No. 211, and
United American Mechanics, in all of which he
is extremely popular, and this wide and favorable
acquaintance aided hi;n greatly in his business.



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 47 of 130)