Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 50 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 50 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


development of the Rinsland & Jones addition in
Hyde Park to the city of Scranton, one of the
most desirable suburban districts for residential
purposes in this locaity. Mr. Rinsland is a close
student of real estate values all over the city, and
consequently his judgment is rarely in error.
He purchased the old Nettleton property at 920 ,
Green Ridge street, and made it an ideal home
for several fraternal organizations of the Green
Ridge section. The building is three stories in
height, has modern fire escapes and sanitary ad-
juncts, and is known as "Rinsland's Hall." The
third floor has been transformed into one of the
best equipped fraternal society halls in this part
of the state, having windows on front, rear and
sides, and it is now the home of the Green Ridga
societies of the Royal Arcanum, the Junior Me-
chanics of America, the Knights of Malta and the
Ladies' Branch of Modern Woodmen.

The esteem in which Mr. Rinsland is held by
his fellow townsmen is evidenced by the fact that
he was chosen as a candidate for the very respon-
sible position of assessor against a field of seven-
teen candidates and duly elected. He was re-
elected in 1902, which is an eloquent testimonial
to his sterling integrity, and during his incum-
bency of office has proven himself an able, con-
scientious, industrious and courteous official. He
is president of the jNIoscow Sand & Gravel Com-
pany, a director of the Clark Summit Land Com-
pany, a member of the Mogaone Investment
Company, owning gold and silver interests in
New Mexico, also interested in the "Edward F."
gold mine in Montana, and was one of the promi-
nent factors in the organization of the Youngs-
town Hard Wall Cement Company, w'hich prom-
ises to be an important industry for Scranton, and



238



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



whose extensive plant is now (1905) being
• erected. For a period of five years Air. Rinsland
was a member of Company B, Thirteenth Regi-
ment. He is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church, Scranton, and a Republican in politics,
exercising a potent influence in behalf of the
partv whose principles he advocates. He be-
longs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, Woodmen of America, and Modern Pro-
tective Society, Order of the Unity. He pos-
sesses good personal qualities, and enjoys the
friendship of the best people of the city of
Scranton.

WILLIAM McCLA\'E, senior member of
the firm of McClave-Brooks Company, of Scran-
ton, is not only known as one of the principal
manufacturers of that city, but is also recognized
in the mechanical world as an inventor of real
genius, the patents issued in his name from the
United States and foreign offices now numbering
upwards of fifty, all covering devices of approved
practicability and worth.

Mr. McClave is a native of Scotland, born
February 7, 1844, and was but two years old
when he was brought to this country, and his first
four vears here were passed in Boonton, New
Jersey. In 1850, when he was six years old, he
came to Scranton, where he received his education
in the public schools. At the age of fourteen he
entered the service of the firm of W. G. Doud &
Company, at Hyde Park, in order to learn the
tinsmith's trade, and was thus engaged when the
Civil war broke out. His loyalty to his adopted
country moved him to enlist in defense of the
Union, imder President Lincoln's first call for

' troops, as a member of Company K, Fifteenth
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. In 1862 he
re-enlisted, this time in Company K, Fifty-second
Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, being chosen
to the grade of first (orderly) sergeant. He
served efficiently under General McClellan in the
Peninsular campaign, but the excessive duties
and continual exposures incident to those opera-

' tions, in a region of swamp, and during the rainy
season of the year, so impaired his health as to
bring upon him a severe attack of typhoid fever,
and he was honorablv discharged upon surgeon's
certificate of disability. Returning home, he was
long invalided, but by careful nursing finally re-
covered his health and returned to his trade. He
worked for several years as a journeyman, and
subsequently opened a business of his own in
Pittston, carrying a full line of stoves and hard-

" ware, and it was this venture which aiiforded him



a substantial foundation for his subsequent suc-
cess. In the autumn of 1877 he invented a stove-
grate, known as the Dockash grate, which was
placed in the stoves manufactured by the Scran-
ton Stove Works, and proved of such practical
value as to at once attract the favorable attention
of dealers. As a result, ]Mr. McClave disposed of
his store, and for three years traveled in the in-
terest of the manufacturers of the stoves fitted
with his device, and made a large market for their
product. His discontinuance of travel followed
the sale of his patent to Colonel J. A. Price, of
the Scranton Stove Works, and he gave his at-
tention to the invention of means for more efTect-
uallv consuming the waste products of the an-
thracite coal fields, culm and buckwheat as they
were known. \'arious attempts had already been
made in this direction, but with only partial suc-
cess. Undeterred by the disappointments of his
predecessors in the attempt, Mr. AlcClave per-
sisted in his experiments, and finally perfected the
excellent device known as the McClave grate and
argand steam blower. His success abundantly
demonstrated, he associated with himself Reese
G. Brooks, and for a number of years they had
the grates and blowers manufactured in the ma-
chine shops of I. A. Finch & Company. There
was a large field for it, and their trade increased
to such an extent that it was found advisable to
carry on the work of manufacturing upon a
larger scale, and to this end was organized the
firm of McClave, Brooks & Company, which
rented the old foundry of the Scranton Stove
Works, in West Lackawanna avenue. Subse-
quently the firm purchased a site on Seventh
street, near the Delaware, Lackawanna & West-
ern railroad bridge, with a six-story building
upon it, and a commodious foundry and suitable
office buildings were erected, affording ample ac-
commodations for .that time. In 1902 the partner-
ship firm of McClave, Brooks & Company was in-
corporated as the McClave-Brooks Company, and
a site was purchased comprising about thirteen
acres on Diamond Flats. Upon this was at once
commenced the erection of an immense modern
plant, which now covers nearly eight acres of the
area, increasing the capacitv of the works five-
fold. These additional facilities permit, in addi-
tion to the work previouslv carried on, of the
manufacture of mechanicall stokers, and other
devices in the same line, and of employing four
hundred men when running to full capacity. The
McClave appliances have from that time to the
present been in general use, and well-nigh with-
out a rival. They are adapted to every descrip-




, B h."l1.l ^l^:w YOKK



THE \\'YO^IIXG AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



239



tion of fuel, and can be placed under boilers and
in furnaces of nearly every description. Their
trade extends throughout the United States,
maintaining branch ottices in nearly all the prin-
cipal cities.

^Ir. AlcClave is recognized as one of the sub-
stantial citizens of Scranton, and is an active
member of the Board of Trade, and of the Engi-
neers' Club. He is an earnest member of the
Penn Avenue Baptist Church, in which he serves
as a trustee. His political affiliations are with
the Republican party. He is an active member
of Lieutenant Ezra S. Griffin Post, No. 139,
Grand Army of the Republic ; president of the
Ffty-second Regiment Association of Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers ; and is a member of Peter Wil-
liamson Lodge, No. 325, Free and Accepted jNIa-
sons. He is a man of broad intelligence, and has
added much to his generous fund of information
through discerning observation in much travel,
which has extended to the far west and south.

Mr. McClave was married April 11, 1864, to
JMiss IMary Rowland, who was born in \\'ales.
To them was born one child, a son, William R.
JMcClave, who was formerly connected with the
Scranton Steel Works in the capacity of assist-
ant paymaster, and is now associated with his
father in business, being manager and treasurer
of JMcClave-Brooks Company. He was married
to Miss Margaret Brooks, daughter of Reese G.
and ]\Iarv H. ( Morgan) Brooks. To them were
born three children : Robert Brooks, Mary
Brooks and Arthur Brooks iMcClave.

WILLIAM M.^cDOXALD. One of the lead-
ing florists of the county is William MacDonald,
of Moosic. Mr. MacDonald is the son of Allen
P. MacDonald, who was born in Scotland, and in
1848 emigrated to the United States. He settled
in Schuylkill county, near Pottsville. His occu-
pation was that of a stationary engineer, a call-
ing which he followed all his life. He married
Jessie Engleton, also a native of Scotland, and
they were the parents of the following children :
John H., William, mentioned at length herein-
after ; Alargaret, who married Oscar E. Johnson ;
Allen : and another daughter, who is the wife of
A. J. Wisley, a Presbyterian minister. The death
of Mr. AlacDonald, the father of the family, oc-
curred in 1901. He was in all respects an upright
and worthy man.

\\'illiam AlacDonald, son of Allen P. and Jes-
sie (Engleton) MacDonald, was born in 1862,
in Schuylkill county, and received his_education in
the schools of Luzerne count}-, whither his par-



ents moved in 1872. He passed through the vari-
ous stages of coal production until he reached
the position of contract miner, which he filled suc-
cessfully until 1892, when he turned his attention
to the biisiness of a florist. He began with but
fifty scpiare feet of glass, his facilities in all re-
spects being very meagre. His success may be
estimated, at least in part, by the fact that he
now has twenty thousand square feet of glass
and that his establishment is supplied with all the
modern improvements. His specialty is the cul-
tivation of geraniums for spring trade. He owns
three acres of land on which he has erected a com-
fortable and attractive residence. He is a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., the Royal Arcanum and
the Ridgley Protective Association. Politically
he is a Republican. He and his familv are mem-
bers of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. jMacDon-
ald married, in 1885, Mary, daughter of John
Nicol, of Pittston, and they are the parents of
four children: Jessie, Ray and Archie (twins),
and Anna.

JOHN SURBER. One of the most re-
spected residents of Old Forge is John Surber,
who has been identified with the interests of that
communit}- for many years. j\Ir. Surber is a
native of Switzerland, where he was born in 1844,
and where he received a common school edu-
cation.

In 1863 he emigrated to the Lnited States
and settled in Ransom, Lackawanna county.
There he purchased a farm of seventy-five acres,
which he cultivated successfully for fifteen years.
During this time, in connection with his agricult-
ural labors, he engaged in various other pursuits.
In 1882 he purchased the Ransom \'alley Hotel,
which he fitted up in modern style and of which
he became the proprietor, and after conducting
it successfully for five years sold it at a profit.
His prosperity while in Ransom appeared in the
fact that he there erected two houses. In 1887
he moved to Old Forge, where he became the pos-
sessor of the old Babylon Hotel, one of the prin-
cipal stopping places between Pittston and Tay-
lor. The hotel is one of the oldest in the valley,
having been built in 1788. During the proprie-
torship of ]\Ir. Surber it was acknowledged to be
one of the best regulated hotels in the borough of
Old Forge. In 1904 he sold the property, and
is now living retired from active business. Mr.
Surber's undaunted spirit in the face of difficulties
was shown when in 1897 his hotel was destroyed
by fire, but in a short time, owing chieflv to his
exertions, it was rebuilt in modern stvle. Since



240



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



he became a resident of Uld Forge Mr. Surber
has erected twelve tenement houses, which have
proved an extremely profitable investment. His
fellow citizens have done him the honor of elect-
ing him to the office of borough treasurer. He is
a member of the L O. O. P., affiliating with Pitts-
ton Lodge. During his residence in the United
States Mr. Surber has made no fewer than four
trips to his native country. While he is a good
and loyal American citizen he yet cherishes for
the land of his birth a love which is commend-
able in 'the highest degree, and in which respect
it is to be wished that all other foreign-born citi-
zens would follow his example. While he loves
America more he loves his native mountains
none the less. Mr. Surber married, in 1877, Sal-
lie Hazzard. They are without children. Mrs.
Surber belongs to a family of Spanish origin.
Joseph Hazzard, a full-blooded Spaniard, was a
soldier in the Revolutionary army. He married
Comfort Pritchard, and their son, also named
Joseph, was born in Pittston. He married Polly
Schneider, a native of Easton, and their children
were five in number. Of these three are now liv-
ing, one of them being Sallie, who became the
wife of John Surber, as mentioned above. One
of those who are now deceased was Christopher,
who inherited the martial spirit of his grand-
father, enlisted in the Union armv at the time of
the Civil war, and laid down his life on the bat-
tlefield.

EDWARD J. LYNETT, who has made for
himself a brilliant career in the field of journalism
as editor, publisher and proprietor of The Sevan-
ton Times, one of the most influential newspapers
of the Wyoming Valley, is of Irish lineage and
American birth. His paternal grandfather, Ed-
ward Lynett, was a native of county Sligo, Ire-
land, where he passed his life, following the oc-
cupation of a farmer.

William Lynett, father of Edward J. Lynett,
was also born in county Sligo, in 1820. He emi-
grated to the United States in 1836, at the age of
sixteen years, his mother having preceded him
some few years. For a time he resided in New
York, whence he removed to the Dunmore set-
tlement, near Scranton, where he lived for more
than fifty years ending with his death. He was a
mining contractor by occupation, and was known
as a most faithful and capable man in that line.
With a good practical education and excellent
business ability, he made himself felt in the com-
munity, and was called to various important jnib-
lic positions, among them those of school director.



treasurer of the borough and treasurer of the
school district. In politics he was a Democrat, and
e.xercised a potent influence in the borough and
neighborhood in the maintenance of the princi-
ples of his party and in behalf of its candidates.
He married Catherine Dowd, and to them were
born the following children: I. Ann, of Scran-
ton, married Thomas F. Cawley, of Dunmore.
2. Margaret, who died in infancy. 3. Mary,
who married D. T. Poland, of Scranton, and
died. 4. Edward J. 5. Catherine, who became
the wife of Thomas X. Cullen, of Scranton. 6.
Margaret, unmarried. 7. Ellen, died in 18S9,.
single, and who was a teacher in the Scranton
public schools. 8. William, who died in child-
hood. The father of this family died in 1891,,
at the age of seventy-one years, the mother sur-
viving him and dying November 20, 1896, at the
age of seventy years.

Edward J. Lynett, fourth child of William
and Catherine (Dowd) Lynett, was born July
15. 1857, in Dunmore, Lackawanna county,
Penns\lvania. He was educated in the borough
schools and the Millersville State Normal School.
He came from the last named institution amply
equipped for a business career, and became dep-
uty clerk of the mayor's court for the city of
Scranton, a position which he occupied most ca-
pably for a period of three years. He subsequent-
ly studied law under the preceptorship of D. W.
and J. F. Connolly, at Scranton, for one year.
His predilection was, however, for journalistic
work, and he entered upon an engagement with
the Scranton Free Press, a Sunday paper pub-
lished in Scranton. He developed marked apti-
tude for his new calling, and soon became man-
ager and editor of the paper, and remained with
it in that twofold capacity until October 10, 1895.
At that time he purchased the Scranton Times, of
which he has since continuously been the owner
and responsible editor. The history of this jour-
nal is an interesting narrative of itself. It was
established January i, 1869, by J. H. Burtch, a
practical printer, but was soon transferred to
Hon. John Handlev, Joseph H. Campbell and
Hon. Peter Walsh. ' The late Hon. W. H. Stan-
ton became editor, but was soon succeeded by
Mr. Aaron A. Chase, who subsequently became
sole owner and active publisher and editor, and
the paper remained under this proprietorship
until the early eighties, when it passed into the
control of Patrick \. Barrett, who two years
afterward sold it to the Scranton Publishing
Company, of. which Dr. William Haggerty, P.
H. Coyne, T. C. Snover, and D. J. Campbell were



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



241



the principal stockholders. Some time in the late
eighties Charles Robinson acquired a controlling
interest, but after one and a half years he trans-
ferred his interest to Daniel J. Campbell, who
conducted the paper until 1894, when he leased
the plant and good will to William J. Bell and
Samuel Hudson. Mr. Bell soon retired, and his
interest was taken by Charles J. Watkins, the
property during this time belonging to Air.
Campbell. In October, 1895, Air. Lynett bought
the property, plant and paper of Air. Campbell.

On becoming owner of the Times, Air. Lynett
devoted all his energies to the development of the
business, and steadily advanced the character, cir-
culation and prestige of the paper. He prospered
to such a degree that five years later, in 1901, he
erected the present Times building, the first which
it was privileged to occupy as a home of its own.
When Air. Lynett purchased the paper nine years
ago, it had a circulation of only three thousand
copies — the smallest circulation of any newspaper
in the city. It now enjoys a circulation of about
twenty-five thousand, more than all the other
three city dailies combined, truly a very remarka-
ble record for so short a time. This great success,
entirely his own achievement, while it speaks
well for the literary quality of his journal, more
strongly testifies to Air. Lynett's integrity of pur-
pose and business ability. Honest, fearless, ag-
gressive when need be, he has at all times cham-
pioned the interests of the people at large, de-
fending them in their rights, and earnestly con-
tending for the remedying of their wrongs. His
public spirit has been reflected in his columns in
the initiation and furtherance of various salu-
tary measures and enterprises, and he has unsel-
fishly seconded every laudable eiifort to similar
ends, no matter by whom conceived or urged.
While the material rewards of his labors have not
been meagre, with the true spirit of the conscien-
tious journalist he takes pride in his reputation
as the maker of a clean, honest and well appre-
ciated newspaper, the most popular and most lib-
erallv supported in the city. His establishment
provides for a large jobbing trade, well provided
for by a completely equipped plant which was in-
stalled in 1 89 1. The business conducted by Air.
Lynett has reached such dimensions that he is
now laying plans for greater mechanical facilities,
and a new building. The Times is Democratic in
politics.

While his newspaper is his first care, Air.
Lynett has other important interests which claim
his attention. He is a director in the Dime De-



posit and Discount Bank, of which he is also sec-
retary ; a director and the secretary of the Para-
gon Plaster Company ; and a director of the
Schuylkill Coal Royalty Company. He was for
three years (1878-81) auditor for Lackawanna
county ; for thirteen years secretary of the Scran-
ton poor district ; for three years a member of the
school board of the borough of Dunmore ; for
two years the burgess ; and was for several years
a director of the Associated Charities of Scran-
ton. He is a communicant of St. Peter's Roman
Catholic Church, and was a delegate to the Na-
tional Catholic Congress held in Chicago in 1893.
He is a member of the Scranton Press Club and
the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He was a delegate to the Democratic National
Convention at Kansas City in 1900, and to va-
rious state Democratic conventions.

Air. Lynett married, September 30, 1896, Miss
Nellie A. Ruddy, a daughter of Thomas Ruddy,
a merchant of Scranton. Of this marriage were
born two children — William and Elizabeth.

JOHN GUY, deceased, was held in honor
through a long and active life for those traits of
character which mark the model man and the be-
loved neighbor. Alodest and unassuming, he was
entirely unconscious of the salutary influence
which he exerted in the community, having no
thought of being regarded as an exemplar, but
only of so acting his part in life as to merit the
approval of his own conscience. He came of an
excellent English family, of which he was the
only member to emigrate to the United States.
It was understood that he was one of the heirs
to a valuable estate in England, descended from
his ancestors, and it had been his purpose to re-
visit his native land to again join hands with his
kinsmen, and to ascertain the truth with refer-
ence to the inheritance, but he was not destined
to carry out his wishes.

He was born in Lincolnshire, England, April
4, 1829, son of William Guy. He was self-edu-
cated through experiences of life. He was reared
as a farmer, and labored at home until he came of
age, when, with a bride, he came to the United
States, locating in Wayne county, Pennsylvania.
There, through his industry and economy, he ac-
quired a productive farm property, which he cul-
tivated with marked success for a period of twen-
tv-six years. In 1876 he removed to the city of
Scranton, where he followed teaming until about
five years before his death, when, having arrived
at the age of sixty-five years, he retired from ac-



2—16



242



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



tive pursuits, and took up his residence with his
daughter Sarah, IVPrs. Oscar L. Colvin. His
wife, Mary Ann Clark, who was born May i,
1830, died July 9, 1900. at the age of seventy
years.

During the Civil war Mr. Guy was drafted
for military service. His heart was entirely with
his adopted country in its struggle for existence,
but was not so situated as to be able to leave his
family, and he provided a substitute. He was a
man of strong and robust constitution, and always
enjoyed excellent health until after the death of
his wife. Her removal from his side was a sor-
row from which he never recovered, and he rap-
idly failed, though his devoted daughter rendered
every loving aid in the hope of restoring him to
his accustomed vigor of body and buoyancy of
spirits. His death occurred July 6, 1904. He
was from early manhood a member of the Baptist
Church, and lived a most exemplary Christian
life, and in that communion to the end of his
days. In his later years he attended the Green
Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church, but was too
closely attached to his own beloved denomination
to enter into membership with it. His remains
were laid to rest in Forest Hill cemetery, a prop-
city in which he felt a deep interest, and to whose
care he had afiforded liberal aid with his personal
effort and means. On the occasion of his funeral
the officiating clergyman, the Rev. Charles Ben-
jamin, paid a feeling tribute to the memory of
the deceased, dwelling upon his many personal
excellencies, and holding up his character as well
worthy of admiration and imitation. The serv-
ices were attended by a large concourse of deeply
affected neighbors and friends, who had held
him in high regard, and who deeply sympathized
wtih his bereaved children.

Mr. Guy was the father of three children :
I. Sarah A., who was twice married; her first
husband, John M. Acker, died leaving one child,
John G. ; she married (second) Oscar L. Colvin,
a harness maker of Scranton. 2. Mary F., who
died at the age of nine months. 3. George S.
Guy. All these children were born in Wayne
county, Pennsylvania.

JOHN ZEIDLER, deceased, one of the
wealthy and influential citizens of the city of



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 50 of 130)