Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 51 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Scranton, to which he removed in 1854, a man of
generous impulses, whose heart and hand were
ever ready to assist those in distress and financial
straits, was a native of Selb, Bavaria, born Jan-
uary 15, 1828.

In 1846, at the age of eighteen years, John



Zeidler emigrated to the Unied States and at
once set about making a home for himself amid
new scenes and new friends. Eight years later
he settled in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and estab-
lished a bakery business at No. 217 Lackawanna
avenue, removing later to Franklin avenue, and
this vocation he followed until the time of his
death, the business then being taken charge of
by his daughter, Miss Maggie Zeidler. He built
Germania block on Lackawanna avenue, where
he also conducted what was known as Zeidler's
Restaurant, and subsequently built the Zeidler or
Valley Home block, also on Lackawanna avenue,
which was the most extensive block in the city
at that time. He went as endorser on many
notes, and when the panic of 1873 came, he was
compelled to make good these notes, with the re-
sult that he lost all the property he had accumu-
lated. Although disheartened and discouraged
by this calamity he, with the characteristic deter-
mination of his countrymen, at once set about to
retrieve his lost fortune and succeeded so well
that at his decease he left a large and valuable
estate.

In 1857, at Pittston, Pennsylvania, Mr. Zeid-
ler was united in marriage to Mary Bechtold,
who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany,
1834, and in 1848 was brought to this country by
her parents who located at Pittston. Six chil-
dren were the issue of this union, five daughters
and one son, Mrs. Rudolph Bloeser, Mrs. F. G.
Diem, John L., of St. Joseph, Missouri ; Miss
Maggie Zeidler, Mrs. Louis Linder, and Mrs.
Harry S. Poust. Both Mr. and Mrs. Zeidler were
consistent members of Zion Lutheran Church on
Mifflin avenue, Scranton, to which they contrib-
uted liberally, also to various charities of the city,
being noted for their generositv and kindheart-
edness to the poor and afflicted. Mr. Zeidler died
January 23, 1892, and the services in the Luth-
eran Church were largely attended, among those
present being many of the representative people
of the city, who had known and esteemed him
throughout his long residence there. The inter-
ment was in Washington avenue cemetery. His
widow passed away September 15, 1897, and her
funeral services which were conducted from the
same church were attended by many prominent in
the business life of Scranton. Her pastor, the
Rev. Mr. P. H. Zizelmann. preached an eloquent
sermon in which he extolled the many virtues and
graces of Mrs. Zeidler, and he spoke in highest
terms of her generosity to the church of which
she was a member. She was survived by her six
children, above named.




(UAl i%<^^2^x^




I.NGT) 5V G Kfr..3 3 If^-Lt U^W "i''OTtK.



DANIEL LANGSTAFF



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



243



WALLACE ORMSTOX. It may be as-
:serted without danger of contradiction that one
of the most popular men in Lackawanna county
is Wallace Ormston, of Old Forge. Mr. Orm-
-ston's father, Thomas Ormston, was born in Eng-
land and married Ann Mckers, a native of the
-same country. Their children were : Anna, who
became the wife of John Trotter ; William ; Wal-
lace, mentioned at length hereinafter ; Jane A.,
who married George Park ; and Jonathan.

Wallace Ormston, son of Thomas and Ann
■(Wckers) Ormston, was born August 31, 1845,
at Durham, England. He was trained to the
calling of a miner, having entered the mines as
a door-tender at seven years of age, and for sev-
eral years filled the position of fire-lboss. In
■1869 he emigrated to the United States and set-
tled in Pennsylvania, taking up his abode in Jer-
myn, where for several years he was employed as
a miner. He had been preceded to this country
by his uncle, Robert Carter, who was an experi-
•enced miner and for several years was employed
as boss by the Jermyn Coal Company. In 1874
Mr. Ormston moved to Old Forge, where he has
since resided continuously. For fifteen years he
(engaged successfully in contract mining, and
during that period sunk several shafts for Wiliam
Connell. He also engaged in rock mining as well
as coal mining. His experience is far beyond that
of the average miner, inasmuch as for fifty-two
years he has been engaged in different capacities
as a worker in ore. During all these years, to
Iiis credit be it said, he never met with an acci-
dent. Since taking up his abode in Old Forge
Mr. Ormston has built for himself a dwelling
Tiouse, and has also erected the Durham Hotel,
of which he has been the proprietor since 1891.
His hotel is one of the finest in the borough of
Old Forge, and of his popularity as a host it is
needless to speak. He is a member of the I. O.
O. F. and the Knights of Pythias, and has passed
the chairs of both orders. J\Ir. Ormston mar-
ried, April I, 1867, two years before leaving his
native country, Marv A. Oliver, who was born
in England, February 7, 1845, ^ daughter of
Thomas Oliver, and they have one son, Wallace,
who was born May 23, 1877. Wallace Ormston,
junior, is an engineer in the service of the Jer-
myn Coal Company. He married Amy Stewart,
daughter of John Stewart, of Old Forge, a na-
tive of England, who was born in England. No-
vember 2, 1872, and they are the parents of two
"daughters: Esther and Florence.



DANIEL LANGSTAFF, deceased, was held
in the highest estimation during his long and
eventful life for his nobility of character, and
broad public spirit. He was one of the foremost
factors in the upbuilding of the city of Scranton
and in the development of its great industries,
and his worth and usefulness are attested by the
fact that he had for his most intimate personal
friends and closest business associates such fa-
mous characters as J. J. Albright, James Blair,
Thomas Dickson, Dr. B. H. Throop, and others
of similar class.

Mr. Langstailf came of an English family of
wealth and influence. His father, John Lang-
stalif, born in England, after completing his edu-
cation traveled in South America, and finally lo-
cated in New York. He was an accomplished
musician and he gave instruction in the divine art
in New York and in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania,
for sixteen years. In 1837 he took up his resi-
dence in South Montrose, Susquehanna county,
where he died in 1840. His wife, Rachel Bush,
born in Stroudsburg, was a member of an old
Pennsylvania family of German extraction. She
was a woman of noble character, a devout Meth-
odist, and survived her husband some thirteen
years, dying in 1853, at the age of fifty-two years.
She bore to her husband six children who came
to maturity : John, who resides in Washington,
New Jersey, and served with the rank of captain
in the Civil war ; Daniel, to be further mentioned
hereinafter ; Levi, who was an army officer in the
rebellion, and resides in Dubuque, Iowa ; Thomas,
who died in Rockford, Illinois ; Mrs. Sarah Cul-
ver, of Mineral Point, Pennsylvania ; and iMrs.
Mary Sterling, of Oneonta, New York.

Daniel Langstaflf, second of the four sons of
John and Rachel (Bush) Langstaff, was born in
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, April 6, 1828. He
was educated in the public schools, and at the age
of fifteen was apprenticed to a carpenter. On
coming of age he located in Providence (now a
part of Scranton) and engaged in working at his
trade. In the following year he went to Hawley,
Pennsylvania, where he found employment in car
building for the Pennsylvania Coal Company. In
185 1 he returned to Scranton, where he entered
the service of the Delaware, Lackawanna & West-
ern Railroad Company, and aided in completing
their shops and building their turntables. An in-
cident of this time was his assisting in building
the first car constructed for this road. While he
was thus engaged, the Civil war was at its height,
and in response to the emergency call of 1862



244



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Mr. Langstaff enlisted in the Kej-stone Guards
(commanded by his brother, Captain John P.
Langstaff), and was mustered into service with
the rank of second heutenant. The company was
stationed at Hackettstown and Newcastle during
its ninety days" term of service, and during this
period Lieutenant Langstafif acquitted himself as
was becoming in an officer and soldier, and re-
ceived the warm commendation of his superiors.

Returning home, he resumed his work, in
which he continued until 1864, when he was made
superintendent of the Diamond mines of the Del-
aware, Lackawanna & Western Company, with
charge of two breakers. It is a tribute to his
capability to note that he was continued in this
position for the long term of twenty-four years,
and it is also worth stating that on his retirement
he was succeeded by his son, W. S. Langstaff.
Meantime Mr. Langstaff had become interested
in the firm of Tripp & Company, retail coal deal-
ers on the Providence road, and when he left the
employ of the Delaware, Lackawanna and West-
ern Company he gave his entire attention to su-
perintending the Tripp mine business, and was
so engaged until 1895, when he retired from ac-
tive pursuits. He continued, however, to give
careful supervision to his financial interests, but
refraining from any such prolonged duties as
would interfere with one of the principal pur-
poses of his life at this time — to seek physical in-
vigoration and mental improvement by travel in
his own country and congenial foreign climes, to
his own great advantage and to the infinite satis-
faction of his family and friends, who rejoiced
in the improvement thus brought to him.

While Mr. Langstaff was widely successful
in his own affairs, and acquired a handsome es-
tate, he was not at all neglectful of the interests
of the community, but exerted himself in its
behalf zealously and with a large degree of use-
fulness. He was particularly friendly to the
cause of education, and for four years as member
of the board of school control rendered intelligent
service in the development of the public school
system, and for manv years was a trustee of Key-
stone Academy at Factoryville. With his wife
he was a member of the Penn Avenue Baptist
Church, and for eighteen years served faithfully
as a member of its board of trustees. In politics
he was an ardent Republican, his connection with
the party dating from its formation in 1856, when
he cast his vote for its first presidential candi-
date, John C. Fremont. Throughout his life he
held to his party faith, and was known as a force-
ful and influential exponent of its principles.



Among the various properties which he owned
was his handsome residence at loi Mulberry
street, Scranton, and an elegant summer resi-
dence adjoining the Keystone Academy in Fac-
toryville, on the boundary line of Wyoming and
Lackawanna counties. Fond of outdoor pursuits,
he took particular delight in finely bred horses,,
and was the owner of "Russell," a Kentucky
horse with a record of 2 124, said to be the hand-
somest and speediest animal in Wyoming county..

In June, 1851, at Montrose,, Pennsylvania,
Mr. Langstafif married Miss Sarah E. Shipman,,
a native of that village, daughter of William and
Sarah (Vaughn) Shipman. Her father was born
in Chester, Connecticut, and was a carpenter and
builder by trade. In youth, with others of his.
family, he came to Pennsylvania, making the
journey w-ith wagons, and guided at frequent in-
tervals by blazed trees. They reached Sus-
quehanna county, where they built a log house.
William Shipman resided in this place until his.
death, at the venerable age of eighty-two years.
His wife, Sarah Vaughn, was born in Rhode
Island, and died in Susquehanna county, Pennsyl-
vania, at the age of seventy-five years. She was
a descendant of Revolutionary patriots, and a
daughter of Jonathan Vaughn, a pioneer farmer
of Susquehanna county. Her mother was a
daughter of Captain Henry W. Congdon, an old
sea captain.

Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Langstaff were the par-
ents of three children, i. William S. is superin-
tendent of the Diamond mines, and was for sev-
eral years a member of the Scranton board of
school control. Edward was for two years en-
gaged as an engineer in South America, and
since his return home has been engaged in the
same capacity with the Kings County ( New
York) Elevated Road. The only daughter, Cor-
nelia, was highly educated, and graduated from
the Keystone Academy and the Bloomsburg Nor-
mal School. She became the wife of O. B.
Schreifer, who was superintendent of the coal
waybill office of the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western Railway Company at Scranton, and has
served as president of the Scranton board of
school control.

Mr. Langstafif died November 28, 1901. His
death was widely mourned out of respect for his
high character, usefulness of life, and the urban-
ity and generosity which marked his dealings
with all men. Eminently successful in the acqui-
sition of personal fortune, he had made the com-
munity sharers in it by his labors in promoting its
various interests, nniltiplying and broadening the-



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



245



avenues of employment, enhancing the vakie of
properties, and aiding to make the city a desirable
residential spot through the greater excellence of
its churches, schools and charitable institutions,
and all other agencies which stand for bodily
comfort and mental improvement. Hence he is
properly to be classed among the most efficient of
public "benefactors, and the present pre-eminent
position of importance and fame which is enjoyed
by the city which was his home and the scene of
his effort, is in some degree a monument to the
memory of his own well spent life.

WALTER L. SCHLAGER, president of the
Traders' Coal Company and of the Federal Gran-
ite Brick Company, and prominently identified
with many other business and financial institu-
tions of Scranton and vicinity, is a native of that
city, being a son of Charles Schlager, one of the
prominent business men of Scranton half a cen-
tury ago.

Charles Schlager was born at Wiltstedt, near
Strasburg, Germany, and was the youngest son
in a large family of children who came to Amer-
ica at different periods, Charles accompanying
his parents about 1840, and locating with them at
Honesdale, Pennsylvania. In the early fifties,
with an elder brother, he located in Scranton,
where he established a bakery, at the corner of
Lackawanna and Washington avenues, in the
building now occtipied by Watkins' carpet store.
This bakery was for many years the leading one
in Scranton, doing a large and prosperous busi-
ness, and also operating a cracker bakery at
Pittston. Through industry and economy Mr.
Schlager acquired considerable property on
Washington avenue. Spruce street and Lacka-
wanna avenues. His own residence was the sev-
enth brick building erected in Scranton, and
stood ne.xt to the ]\ tears building, the site of the
present Burr building. He also owned other
property on Lackawanna avenue and Spruce
street, including the site of the present Pauli
building, then occupied bv several frame build-
ings sold to the late Francis Pauli, and at the
time of his death was regarded as one of the most
extensive real estate owners in Scranton. In his
later years he became interested in coal lands at
Heidelberg (a place which received its name from
him, since known as Dupont), and just prior to
his death was preparing to develop these prop-
erties, which have become verv valuable, worth
more than a million dollars. Had he lived he
doubtless would have shared well in the immense
accumulation of wealth from the development of



the coal industrv in the region, and would have
been one of Scranton'S wealthiest citizens of this,
as he was of his own day. He was interested in
all that pertained to the best interests of the
growing town of Scranton, and was closely asso-
ciated with the solid substantial men of that day.
He was a contributing member of the congrega-
tion of the First Presbyterian Church, which then
stood on \^'ashington avenue on the site now oc- .
cupied by J. D. Williams & Brother Company.
Mr. Schlager, though of foreign birth, was a
thorough American, early adapting himself to the
customs of his adopted country, and sincerely en-
tering into the spirit of its institutions. In poli-
tics he was a stanch Republican, taking an active
interest in the success of his party. He was a
charter member of Schiller Lodge (German),
Free and Accepted Masons, and was affiliated
with various social organizations of his day. He
was a man of domestic tastes, and devoted to his
home and family. In personal appearance Mr.
Schlager has been likened, b}- those who remem-
ber him best, to the familiar characterization of
"Uncle Sam," or Lincoln, Tall, straight, and of
commanding appearance, having performed mili-
tary service in Germany, he had a fine military
bearing. While accumulating a gompetency he
lived in a becoming manner, and surrounded his
family with all the comforts that means could
procure.

Mr. Schlager married (first) Salome Fritch,
a native of Germany, and they were the parents
of eight children : Emma, Salome, Louise, Ruth,
Carl, Minnie, Charles and \\'alter L. He mar-
ried (second) Julia Schaft'er, of Bloomsburg,
Pennsylvania, and had two children who died in
infancy, I\Ir. Schlager died in 1870, when a
comparatively young man, and in the zenith of
his usefulness,

Walter L. Schlager, youngest son of Charles
and Salome ( Fritch ) Schlager, was born in
Scranton, October, 1864. He was left an orphan
at an earlv age, his mother dying when he was
but three months old, and his father when he was
at the age of six years. He attended the Merrill
Academv and the high school at Scranton, and
later the public schools of Philadelphia, where
his step-mother resided, and later attended the
Pennsylvania State Normal school at Blooms-
burg. His step-mother having married his uncle,
Jacob Schlager, he went to Lanesboro, Pennsyl-
vania, where his uncle resided. After two years
employment in a chair factory at Brandt, in
which he was financially interested, he learned
the drug business and later conducted drug stores



246



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



at Moosic, Avoca, and Olyphant, in turn. Re-
linquishing this business, he bought the insurance
agency of Charles Schlager, and conducted it for
some time, then selling out to engage in the coal
business, having purchased the Keystone Coal
Company's plant, now known as the Traders'
Coal Company, of which he became president
and manager. He later became identified with a
number of other industrial and business institu-
tions in his. native city. He is treasurer of the
Scranton Yarn Finishing Company, and president
of the Federal Granite Brick Company, and was
one of the organizers of the Traders' Real Estate
Company, of which he is vice-president ; and was
also one of the organizers of the Kay Aug Lum-
ber Company, and is president of the Reliance
Coal Company, and connected with several other
important business and financial enterprises.

Mr. Schlager is a member of Kingsbury
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, at Olyphant ;
past high priest of -Lackawanna Chapter, No.
185, Royal Arch Masons, and is a past
eminent commander of Melita Commandery, No.
68, Knight Templars, and a member of Irem
Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. In poli-
tics Mr. Schlager is an Independent, but sup-
ports the principles of the Republican party. In
religion he is a contributing member of the First
Presbyterian Church. He is a man of broad in-
formation, genial disposition, and tender suscep-
tibilities. He is a loyal supporter of all move-
ments of advantage to the community in a mate-
rial way, and extends cordial and liberal aid to
religious, educational, and charitable institutions.
In social circles he is as highly esteemed for his
personal worth as he is in the business community
for his masterly abilities, sagacious enterprise,
and earnest public spirit.

Mr. Schlager married, June 4, 1884, Miss
Ruth Church, daughter of Almon Church, one
of the pioneer settlers of Luzerne countv, Penn-
sylvania, and they have two children : Helen and
Emma, both of whom are students at Wells Col-
lege, Aurora, New York.

JAMES P. LAW. In every town or city
that has attained any prominence along anv par-
ticular line of industry there has always been
a leading spirit, a standard bearer, as it were,
who possesses wisdom, forethought and courage
to lead to victory and success. Such a person is
James P. Law, one of the progressive men of
Taylor, where he has made his home since t886.
He was born in Honesdale, Wayne county, Penn-
sylvania, March 28, 1861.



Alexander Law, father of James P. Law, was-,
one of the pioneer settlers of Wayne county,
Pennsylvania, enduring all the hardships and
privations incident to those early times. He held
a position with the Delaware and Hudson Com-
pany, and was faithful in the discharge of his-
duties. In Honesdale, Pennsylvania, he was-
united in marriage to Mary McKeon, a sister of
Patrick McKeon, who built the first frame house
in Honesdale, and their familv consisted of
twelve children, nine of whom attained years of
maturity and are living at the present time
(1905) : John, Thomas, James, Alexander, Ber-
nard, Charles, Francis, Margaret and Lizzie.
The sons are employed on the railroad, five of
them serving in the capacity of conductors.

James P. Law was reared in Kingston, Penn-
sylvania, to which place his parents removed dur-
ing his boyhood, and his education was acquired
at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston. He gained
his first practical experience in business life as
station agent and telegraph operator for the Del-
aware, Lackawanna and Western Company at
Taylor, which position he resigned in 1893 after
seventeen years connection therewith. During
that period and up to the present time (1905) he
has acted as agent for all the Atlantic Steamship
lines, and is also the proprietor and manager of
a foreign and domestic e.xchange. Whatever en-
terprise that tends toward the development and
progress of the town of Taylor receives from Mr^
Law a hearty and earnest support. He was one
of the promoters and is now a director in the
Taylor Building and Loan Association, was in-
strumental in the bringing of the two silk mills
to Taylor, in each of which he is a stockholder, is-
part owner in the Taylor Coal Company of
Scranton, and is the owner of extensive real es-
tate holdings in the town. The esteem in which
he is held by his fellow citizens is evidenced by
the fact that he was elected to the office of treas-
urer of Lackawanna township. He is a Demo-
crat in politics. He is a member of the Catholic
Mutual Benevolent Association, and of the [Mod-
ern Woodmen of America. May 10, 1887, Mr.
Law was united in marriage to ^liss Anna Gro-
gan, daughter of Patrick and Margaret Grogan,.
and their children are as follows : Mary, Mar-
garet, James, Annie, Francis, Joseph and John.

WESLEY A. FATZINGER, a prominent
business man of the borough of Taylor, where he
crative trade, was born in Catasauqua, Lehigh
county, Pennsylvania. December 8, 1864, a son
of Uriah and Sarah (Stout) Fatzinger, grandson



THE \\'YO]MIXG AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



247



has succeeded in building up an extensive and lu-
of James and Judith (Sigfried) Fatzinger, and
great-grandson of James and Christiana (Seip)
Fatzinger, the latter named couple having been
natives of Alsace, France, from whence they em-
igrated to this country at an early date, taking up
their abode in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

James Fatzinger (grandfather) was a native
of Allentown, Pennsylvania. He followed the
occupation of drover for several years, driving his
stock from Buffalo to Allentown prior to the in-
troduction of railroads in that section of the
country. He afterward became a miller and
later engaged in a general merchandise business.
At the age of forty he became a convert to the
Evangelical faith, the doctrines of which he firmly
adhered to for the remainder of his life. He
married Judith Sigfried, of Allentown, Pennsyl-
vania, who bore him twelve children, among
whom was the following : Edward, deceased ;
Elmira ; Theodore, deceased ; Franklin ; Criah ;
James, deceased ; Tilghman, deceased ; and Har-
vey, deceased.

Criah Fatzinger (father) was born in Bath,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, in 1843. -^^
engaged in mercantile pursuits in Lehighton for
several years, and later in company with his



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 51 of 130)