Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 53 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


comprising four hundred and fifty acres. The
shaft is one hundred feet deep, with a capacity
to turn out twelve hundred tons of coal daily.
The firm employs one hundred and fifty men.
Mr. Mongan has been a resident of Dimmore
since 1863, and has thoroughly identified him-
self with the best interests of the borough.
He takes a deep interest in the cause of edu-
cation, which he has manifested in a practical
manner by serving for twenty-five years as
school director. Mr. Mongan married, March
I, 1863, Catherine F., daughter of Andrew and
Catherine Haley, of Dunmore, and of their
eleven children the following are living: John
J., Frank F., \\'illiam H., Catherine A., Minnie,
Agnes, Joseph A., George, Jennie and James.



JOHN J. BOLAND. One of those ener-
getic and sagacious business men whose
presence in any community imparts a healthy
impetus to the current of financial afifairs is
John J. Boland, of Dunmore. He belongs to
a family of Irish origin, which for more than
half a century has been resident in the Key-
■stone state.

Michael Boland was born in Ireland, and in
1848 embarked with his parents and brothers
and sisters for the United States. During the
voyage the father of the family died and was
buried at sea. The mother reached the new
country and li\-ed with her children to the



CTcat age of ninety-five years. ]\Iichael first
settled in Carbondale, but in 1849 moved to
Dunmore, where he remained. He was em-
ployed on the Pennsylvania gravity road and
worked in the mines of the same company
both as boy and man, filling the various subor-
dinate positions until he reached that of miner.
In 1884 he and his son Michael F. engaged
successfully in general mercantile business.
Mr. Boland was a loyal citizen, taking an ac-
tive interest in community affairs, and was
several times chosen by his neighbors to serve
as councilman. He married Julia Connell, al-
so a native of Ireland, who emigrated from her
old home to this country the same year as that
in which her husband came to seek his fortune
in the New World. Until 1855 she remained
in New York, and in that year moved to Dun-
more. In February, 1856, she married Mr.
Boland, and there were born to them seven
children : Timothy E., Mary A., Michael F.,
Patrick, John J., mentioned hereafter; Annie,
and one who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs.
F)Oland were widely known and as widely re-
spected and loved.

John J. Boland, son of ]\Iichael and Julia
(Connell) Boland, was born January 23, 1864,
in Dunmore, where he attended the common
schools. In 1884 he engaged in business as a
butcher, in which he prospered for thirteen
years. In 1896 he organized the Dunmore
Lumlser Company, and in 1899 sold his inter-
est therein. He then entered the service of
C. P. Matthews & Son, by whom he was em-
ployed until 1903. On February 11 of that
year the Dunmore Coal Company was organ-
ized, composed of seven stockholders. The
mine belongs to the Sibley tract and has one
opening, a slope one hundred a fifty feet long
and seventy-five feet deep, which was opened
about i860, by a Mr. Kenkins. Mr. Boland
was secretary and manager and under his
watchful and experienced eye the affairs of the
company was maintained in a flourishing con-
dition. He sold his interest in the fall of 1905,
and is now stockholder and manager of the
Carbon Coal Mining Company. He is a mem-
ber of the Knights of Columbus, the Emerald
Order of L. and B. Society, and the Catholic
Mutual Beneficial Association. His religious
relations are with the Roman Catholic church.
Mr. Boland married in 18S7 Agnes Healey,
of Dunmore, and they have nine children :
Eugene, Joseph, Leonard, John, Stanley,
Agnes, Margaret, Alice, and Richard.




^IC /;-. /^^?



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



253-



CHARLES W. POTTER. Among those
citizens of Lackawanna county, in his time
Luzerne county, whose names have for many
years belonged to the past, but the effect of
whose example and influence is still felt in the
community, was Charles W. Potter, of Dun-
more. He belonged to a New England family
which was one of the first to settle in the Lack-
awanna Valley and had a large share in pro-
moting the civilization and prosperity cf that
region.

Elisha Potter (father), a native of Connec-
ticut, came with his family to what was then
the wilds of Pennsylvania, making the journey
on horseback. He settled at what is now
Providence, where he had several large tracts
of land, of the real value of which he could at
first form no idea, inasmuch as they proved to
be the great anthracite coal field. His counsel
was much sought, and his influence was large-
ly felt in his day. He was the first justice of
the peace in that portion of the Lackawanna
Valley. He was a man who possessed the es-
teem of all, irrespective of political differences,
for while affiliating with the Democrats he
was never partisan, and was noted no less for
the liberality and kindliness of his disposition
than for the sound judgment and strict adher-
ence to principles which caused him to be uni-
versally respected. He married Sallie Case,
who was also a native of Connecticut, a woman
of refinement, intelligence and of great nobil-
ity of character. She was a pious member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. Their chil-
dren were: Mary, Eliza, Jane, who became
the wife of Caleb Bloom ; Eanny, Eudora,
Charles W., mentioned hereafter ; Joseph,
William, and Chester, all of whom are now
deceased.

Charles W. Potter, son of Elisha and Sallie
(Case) Potter, was born May 26, 181 5, in
Blakely township, Pennsylvania. He received
his education in the common schools of Prov-
idence, and on reaching manhood went to Mar-
tin's Creek, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, where he was employed as clerk by a
Mr. McCoy. He subsequently moved to Exe-
ter township, where he had charge of a store
for a iNIr. Porter. After a brief stay there he
returned to Blakely township and for a short
time engaged in agricultural pursuits. In i84;7
he took up his abode in Dunmore, where he
entered into business as a merchant. He was .
the owner of land which included much of the
area of the present borough, and also possessed



a large tract of valuable coal land, which had
he lived to a more mature age he would have
developed to a larger extent and therefore
would have realized much greater returns
therefrom. Through the ownership of this
valuable property, no less than by means of
the success which attended him in his mer-
cantile business, he became one of the wealthy
men of the Lackawanna Valley, and at his
early demise left an extensive estate, which
was the direct result of business ability, acu-
men and farsightedness.

He took an active part in community af-
fairs and was elected justice of the peace, an
office which he filled with honor and distinc-
tion, becoming virtually a peace maker. He
showed great mercy toward all who were in
trouble, especially the poor, and had great
compassion upon the wrongdoer, especially
that class who were brought before him on
charges of having imbibed too freely. He was
a member of the Masonic fraternity. Al-
though an attendant and a strong supporter of
the Alethodist Episcopal Church, the scope of
his benevolence was not bounded by denomi-
national limitations but was extended to all
charitable institutions. He was extremely
generous and kindhearted to the poor, fre-
quently having as many as eight or ten home-
less persons under his own roof, and he was known
to take off his coat in the street and give it to
some poor person who was suft'ering "from the
cold. In this way he followed the example of
his Divine Master, who taught the people
that "it was more blessed to give than to re-
ceive." His charity was rarely misplaced, as
he was a great student of human nature. In
his community he was held in peculiar honor,
and was universally beloved and esteemed by
all who were brought in contact with him.

Mr. Potter married in 1836, while residing
at Martin's Creek, Sarah A. Eakin, daughter
of Samuel and Sallie Eakin, and of their six
children three grew to maturity, as follows :
Elizabeth, who in 1862 became the wife of
Robert P. Savage, and their children were:
Bonnie, wife of B. E. Harris, of Concord,
North Carolina, and mother of two children :
B. E., Jr.. and Elizabeth Potter; IMaud, wife
of Erasmus D. Ames, of Dunmore, and mother
of one child, Charles S., and Charles P.. who
married Lizzie Finnerty, and has one daugh-
ter, Elizabeth. 2. Kate, deceased, who was
the wife of William H. Stanton, a machinist
by trade, who resided for the greater part of



254



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



his life in Dunmore. but whose death occurred
in the city of. Philadelphia. Their children
were as follows: IMollie, deceased; Fannie,
wife of Tyler Connell}-, and they reside in
Green Ridge ; William B., a graduate of the
medical department of the University of Penn-
sylvania, and is now (1905) associated with
the H. C. Frick Tuberculosis Institute, in
Philadelphia, where he is a specialist on tuber-
culosis ; and Grace, wife of Lawrence Boyn-
:ton, and they reside in Binghamton, New
York. 3. Frances, wife of Albert Wagner, of
Dunmore. Charles W. Potter died in 1857,
.at the comparatively early age of forty-two
years. His loss was felt to be well-nigh irre-
parable alike to his family, his friends, and the
community in which he had been so largely
.and beneficently influential. Mrs. Potter, a
woman beloved and respected by all who knew
her, survived her husband many years, pass-
.ing away in September, 1894.

RALPH HARWOOD. A list of the enter-
prising business men of Lackawanna county
would be incomplete without the name of Ralph
Harwood, of Dunmore. He is the son of Wil-
liam and Jane (McCarty) Harwood, both natives
of England, where their son Ralph was born in
i860.

Mr. Harwood was educated in his native
'Country, where he remained until 1881, when he
-emigrated to Canada. After living there three
years he came in 1884 to the United States, and
settled in Pennsylvania, making his home in Durt-
more, where he has since remained. In 1890 he
built the house in which he has since resided,
and which he has improved as occasion de-
manded. In 1893 he embarked in his present
business, not with the intention of making it
financially profitable, but for his own benefit and
gratification. He soon became convinced, how-
ever, from demands made upon him that the en-
terprise might be made something more than
a mere pleasure. He tlien enlarged the scale of
his business, and became at once a regular florist,
making a specialty of carnations and violets. Not
only does Mr. Harwood raise plants and flowers,
but he also cultivates and disposes of vegetables
of various kinds for domestic trade and con-
sumption. He is an experienced landscape gar-
dener, pays particular attention to that department
of his business, and his patronage is increasing
year by year. In politics he is an ardent Dem-



ocrat. He and his family are members of the
Roman Catholic Church.

Mr. Harwood married, February 8, 1888,
Mary Ann, born in Ireland, September 20, 1865,
daughter of Michael and Winnie Burke, the
former a leading merchant tailor of Dunmore.
Air. and Mrs. Harwood have been the parents of
eight children, five of whom are now living : Liz-
zie, who was born in 1890; Ralph, who was born
in 1895 ; Beatrice, who was born in 1897 ; Wal-
ter, who was born in 1899 ; and Albert, who was
born in 1902.

EVAN G. WATKINS. Among those busi-
ness men of Lackawanna county who although
not yet in middle life are indicated as those to
whom the county must look for the future main-
tenance of its commercial prosperity must be
numbered Evan G. Watkins, of Taylor. To say
that Mr. Watkins comes of Welsh parentage is
only another way of saying that he belongs to
an element increasingly powerful in Pennsylva-
nia.

Griffith Watkins was born in Wales, and from
boyhood was trained to the calling of a miner.
About 1870 he came to the United States and set-
tled in the coal region of Pennsylvania, where he
followed his chosen occupation during the re-
mainder of his life. He was a loyal citizen of his
adopted country, and was honored by his neigh-
bors with several important borough offices. His
wife was Priscilla Davis, also a native of Wales,
and they were the parents of three sons : David,
who is deceased ; Evan G., mentioneed at length
hereinafter ; and William G. The death of Mr.
Watkins, which occurred February 2, 1892, was
mourned as that of a useful man and a good cit-
izen. At the time of his death he held the office
of borough treasurer.

Evan G. Watkins, son of Griffith and Priscilla
(Davis) Watkins, was born in 1874, at Plymouth,
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, and was educated
in the schools of Moosic and Taylor, having been
ten years of age when his parents moved to the
latter place. Previous to 1900 he engaged in
various pursuits, and in that year became junior
member of the firm of Taylor, Tubbs & Company,
contractors and builders. The firm was organ-
ized in 1886 by John F. Taylor and P. J. Mul-
herin. After a time Mr. Mulherin withdrew, and
]\Ir. Taylor conducted the business alone until
1889, at which time he took as a partner his
nephew, George Taylor, and also admitted J. F.
Tubbs. In 1900 George Taylor withdrew his in-



THE WYOMING AND LACKA\\'ANNA VALLEYS.



25;



terests, and Mr. Watkins and his brother William
G. became members of the firm, which conducts
a flourishing business, not onl}- as contractors and
builders, but as dealers in builders' supplies, of
which they always carry a full line of the best
quality and first material.

Mr. Watkins is active as a citizen, taking a
keen and practical interest in all community af-
fairs, and the confidence with which he is re-
garded by his townsmen is attested by the fact
that thev have chosen him to fill various offices
of trust. During six years he was borough audi-
tor and has served four terms as a member of the
school board, during which time he held the ofiice
of treasurer. He is now president of the board.
These various offices he has filled with credit to
himself and satisfaction to his fellow-citizens. As
may be supposed, the many demands upon ]Mr.
Watkins' time and thoughts leave him little op-
portunity for social recreation, but he neverthe-
less finds time to maintain his membership in the
Modern Woodmen of America and the Junior
Order of United American jMechanics.

JOHN W. BUSCH. In the foremost rank
•of the manufacturers of Lackawanna county
-Stands John W. Busch, of Taylor. Mr. Busch is
a representative of that German element which
forms so large a portion of the population of the
Keystone state, and which in various depart-
ments of industry has contributed so materially
to its prosperity.

Jacob Busch was born in Germany, and in
1846 emigrated to the United States and sought
a home in Pennsylvania. During the first year
of his residence in this country he lived succes-
sively in Honesdale, Wilkes-Barre and Duryea.
In 1853 he moved to Pittston, and subsequently
resided for a time at Ransom, where he was the
proprietor of a well-regulated hotel for a num-
Taer of years. In 1874 he moved to Taylor, where
Tie established himself as a carpet manufacturer,
having been a practical weaver in his own coun-
try. He was a man who never failed to improve
■every opportunity, and the business founded by
him prospered almost beyond his expectations.
During his residence in Taylor he caused to be
erected a fine brick double house which is now
the property of his sons, and he also acquired sev-
eral other pieces of property. While in Pittston
he took a leading part in the building of St.
Mary's Roman Catholic church, of which he was
a member.

Mr. Busch married, in 1853, Catherine Wen-
gel, also a native of Germany, who came to this



country in 1850. They were married in Pitts-
ton, and became the parents of four children:
Kate, who is now the wife of ^Martin Schachal ;
Jacob, John W., mentioned at length hereinafter;
and Nicholas. ^Irs. Busch died in 1884, having
lived to see all her children reach maturity. In
1895 occurred the death of the father of the fam-
ily, a man sincerely respected by all who knew
him.

John W. Busch, son of Jacob and Catherine
(Wengel) Busch, was born in 1861, in Pittston,
Pennsylvania, and received in the schools of
Scranton a liberal education, acquiring command
of the English and German languages in both
of which he converses fluently. He and his
brother Nicholas conduct the carpet manufac-
tory established by their father, a large share of
whose executive ability has descended to his sons.
The firm has an undisputed reputation for man-
ufacturing the best carpet of its kind now in the
market, and an equally assured celebrity for hon-
esty and fair dealing. Mr. Busch conscientiously
discharges all the obligations of citizenship, and
both he and his brother are among the most val-
ued esidents of Taylor.

BYROX J. HALL. The Hall family is one
of the oldest and most respected in the borough
of Glenburn. Their origin takes us back to the
Emerald Isle, whose green hills are ever fresh in
the memory of her sons. They emigrated from
Loch Neigh, near Gillgallen. The founder of the
familv settled in Connecticut, where they became
distinguished for their patoriotism and loyalty to
their adopted country.

The first of this distinguished family to mi-
grate to Pennsylvania was Jonathan Hall, who
settled at Glenburn in the year 1802. He built
a frame house, two stories high, in 1804, and
prior to the inauguration of the present school
system Mr. Hall offered his house for educa-
tional purposes, the same being accepted and
used for some time. He was the owner of six
hundred acres of land, was a man of high social
standing and of refined tastes. He gave to the
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Company the
right of way when that road was built as a con-
sideration for a permanent depot. His wife, Eu-
nice (Capwell) Hall, a native of Rhode Island,
bore him thirteen children, all of whom were born
in Glenburn and became useful and loyal citizens.
Their names were as follows: Jabez G., Shel-
don, Susan, Jeremiah, Lephe, Carey, William C,
John, Jerusha. Emily, Alary A., and two who
died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hall were mem-



256



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



bers of the Baptist Church (Old School), and
their deaths occurred in the same vear, 1865.

Jabez G. Hall, eldest son of Jonathan and Eu-
nice (Capwell) Hall, was born in a log house in
1803. He obtained a practical education which
prepared him for the activities of life, became a
prominent citizen and practical farmer, and in
addition to the tilling of the soil owned and oper-
ated a saw mill, also manufactured timber to
some extent. He also became a school teacher,
serving for fourteen years. He was the owner of
eighty acres of land, whereon he resided in a com-
fortable and commodious house. Like his father,
he was an Old School Baptist and a Democrat.
He was united in marriage, April 11, 1830, to
Laura Callender, of Blakely, Peinisylvania, who
bore him the following named children : Louise,
Judson, deceased ; Samuel, deceased ; ]\Iyron and
Byron J. (twins); George, deceased; William,
Jenette, Stephen, deceased ; Hubert, and Hartl-
ing, deceased. Of this number seven sons served
in the Union army during the Civil war, namely :
Samuel, Myron, Byron, George, William, Ste-
phen and Hubert. This speaks well for the pa-
triotism of the parents as well as the sons. Mr.
Hall died in January, 1891 ; his wife, who was
born in 1807, passed away August 10, 1888.

William C. Hall, fifth son of Jonathan and
Eunice (Capwell) Hall, was born in 1820. and
died in 1892. He owned one hundred acres of
land, and was considered a practical farmer. He
donated land for the first public school building
in Glenburn, and was influential in securing- a
charter for the borough, serving in the capacity
of its first burgess. In 1859 he married Emily
Chamberlain, who was a teacher in a private
school, and four children were the issue of this
union, three of whom are living, namely : Lephe
A., an accomplished teacher ; Mrs. E. E. Shor-
maker, of Chicago ; and Jessie, a music teacher in
Montana.

Byron J. Hall, son of Jabez G. and Laura
(Callender) Hall, was born in Glenburn, Penn-
sylvania, in 1837. Here he was reared, educated
and spent his useful but uneventful life. He
has attended principally to agricultural pursuits,
which have been highly remunerative. Fifteen
years of his life was spent in the meat business,
during which time he supplied the Scranton
market, carrying his meat to that city. During
the Civil war he was a member of Company F,
Thirteenth Volunteer Infantry of Pennsylvania,
but after a short term of service was honorably
discharged. He inherited a spirit of patriotism
from his ancestors, two of whom — Samuel Hall



and Samuel Callender — were soldiers in the Rev-
olutionary army under General Washington. The
esteem in which he is held by his fellow-citizens
is evidenced by the fact that he was elected chief
burgess of the borough of Glenburn in 1896,
was a member of the council and served for years
on the school board. He is a member of the Bap-
tist Church, and also of the George Fell Post,
of Waverly.

In 1865 Mr. Hall married Miss Catherine E.
Kirkman, and the issue of this union was four
children : Hershel, who is secretary of the Scran-
ton Lace Curtain Manufacturing Company ; he
married Ruie Shedd. Edward, assistant comp-
troller in the International Correspondence
School of Scranton. Thomas, an accountant in
the F'irst National Bank of Scranton ; he mar-
ried Edna Sax. Robert B., a clerk in the Inter-
national Correspondence School of Scranton.

THOMAS J. WILLIAMS, senior member of
The Williams Manufacturing Company of
Clarks Summit, formerly the Clarks Summit
Novelty Works, one of the leading and useful in-
dustries of that section of the state, is a native of
Scotland, the year of his birth being 1854.

William Williams, father of Thoanas J. Will-
iams, left his native land, Scotland, in October,
1864, for the new world and upon his arrival here
located in Pittston, Pennsylvania, where he fol-
lowed contract mining, which proved most profit-
able and successful owing to the fact of his be-
ing an expert in the business. In his native land
he married Jane Cairns, who was also born there,
and they were the parents of nine children, five
of whom emigrated to this country with their pa-
rents, namely : William, Jr. deceased ; John C, de-
ceased, who was mine foreman for the Delaware
and Hudson Company, in whose employ he lost
his life ; Thomas J., mentioned at length here-
after ; James ; and Jane, who died on the voyage
across the Atlantic ocean.

The educational advantages enjoyed by
Thomas J. Williams were obtained in the schools
of Scotland, and in October. 1864, at the age of
ten years, he accompanied his parents to the
United States. He first applied himself to the
wood working- trade, and later entered the sash,
door and blind factory of J. E. Patterson, where
he thoTOughlv mastered all the details of the bus-
iness, becoming a skillful and expert mechanic.
In 1881 he moved to Scranton. where he followed
the same line of business, and five years later he
engaged in business for himself on the South
Side, continuing the sanie up to 1890, in which



^^^^^^■^ ^c^^^^^^^^l


^


1
1


R^^^^^^^^H


r^JiHH


:i






I


ViFv^H


^^^^^^^^■^




M


^^B^


^^^H ^


^^^^V'^^^^^^^^^^^^^^l


Wm









AUGUST WAHLERS



THE WYO^IING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



257



year he went to Winchester. \'irginia, where he
remained three years. In 1893 he returned to
Scranton, remaining a resident of that city until'
1904, and on April ist of that year he and his
sons purchased and took possession of the plant
which was formerly known as the Clarks Sum-
mit Novelty Works. They manufacture crates,
mouldings, turning and scroll sawing, and in ad-
dition to this i\lr. Williams is the patentee of a
detachable and adjustable table leg, which proves
tO: be a serviceable article and which should be
found in every well furnished and well regulated
household. This he also manufactures and puts
on the market, and it is to be found in most of the
leading furniture houses throughout the country.
The success which has attended his efiforts has
been the direct result of thrift, energy and de-
termination. During his residence in Scranton



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 53 of 130)