Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 54 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 54 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Williams was a member of the Thirteenth
Regiment, in which he held the commission of
second lieutenant for a number of years. He is
a member and vestryman of St. David's Episcopal
Church, and his fraternal affiliations are with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the
Knights of j\lalta.

In 1879 Mr. Williams was imited in mar-
riage to Jessie Fear, who bore him four sons and
one daughter, namely : Ernest W., Stella, Thomas
J.. Jr., Archibald and John C. The sons are all
engaged in business with their father. Mrs.
Williams, who was a faithful wife and devoted
mother, passed away December 22, 1897. In
1899 Mr. Williams married Annie Ainsworth, no
issue.

AUGUST WAHLERS. It is doubtful if
Lackawanna county has a more justl)' popular
citizen than August Wahlers, of Dunmore. Mr.
Wahlers is of German parentage, and a type of
one of our most valuable classes of fo.reign-born,
naturalized citizens.

Herman Wahlers was born in Germany,
where he received a liberal education. In 1865 he
emigrated with his family to the United States
and in the fall of 1866 removed to Dunmore,
where he died. There he became a schoolmas-
ter, and was as long as he lived one of the most
respected residents of the city. He was a di-
rector of the German and New Schiller Building
and Loan Associations up to the time of his
death. He married Maria Bloethe, also a
native of Germany, and they were the parents of
five children, three of whom are living: August,
mentioned at length hereinafter ; Herman, who
lives in New Haven, Connecticut ; and Christo-

2-17



pher, whoi is a resident of St. Louis, Missouri.
The death of Mr. Wahlers, the father, occurred
in 1901, and was felt to be a loss to the entire
community.

August Wahlers. son of Herman and Maria
(Bloethe) Wahlers. was born January i, 1847, ^^
Germany. He was liberally educated and also
received instruction in music, which talent he
subsequently cultivated and brought into prac-
tice. He came with his parents to the United
States, landing December 23, 1865, and upon
settling in Scranton applied himself to the ac-
quisition of the English language. He learned
the carpenter's trade, which he followed for a
number of years. He learned tjie carpenter's
trade, which he followed for a number of years.
He was a large contractor and builder and erected
many of the substantial buildings which adorn
the city of Scranton and Dunmore to-day. In
1877 he moved to Dunmore, where there are now
several important structures of his erection. In
1882 he retired from business and opened the
Harmony Hotel and Gardens, which speedily be-
came one of the most popular and respectable fam-
ilv resorts of Dunmore. The property covers an
area of one hundred and fifty by two hundred
feet. Mr. Wahlers has been for eight years a
director in the German Building Association, and,
since 1900, has been agent for the Springfield
Insurance Company. For four years he was a
director in the New Schiller Association. As
was inevitable in the case of a man of
his popularity he has been frequently elected
to office. He is a Democrat in politics.
In 1886 he served a term as councilman, and irt
1899 was elected treasurer of Dunmore borough,,
in which office he has succeeded himself to the
present time, serving his sixth term, and which
he still holds. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
Lackawanna Lodge of Scranton, the Golden
Eagles of Scranton, and the Scranton Lieder
Kranz, being a member of the latter for twenty-
si.x years. He is a member of the Lutheran
Church, in which he served as secretary for ten
years and as organist for twenty-five years.

Mr. Wahlers married, February 4, 1869, Su-
sanna Hostombe, also a native of Gemiany, and
of the five children born to them three are now
living: Frederick, who is an instructor in music,
also plays piano in orchestra. Augustus C, pro-
prietor of the Harmony Hotel and Garden on
Grove street ; he is also a musician, playing the
violin, trombone, and serves as baritone in bands
and orchestras. He married Minnie Wahlers,
and their children are : Henrv, Alma, and An-



258



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



gust. Matilda, the wife of Adolph Pittack, who
is conducting a fine hotel. Frederick and Augus-
tus C, are members of Bauer's Band and Or-
chestra, the celebrated and popular band of Scran-
ton for twenty-five years.

CHARLES H. SEARS. The Sears Grist
Mill, of which C. H. Sears is proprietor, is one
of the conspicuous and useful industries of Clarks
Summit, Pennsylvania. It was built by M. A.
Colvin in 1880, sold to W. V. Good in 1894, and
in '1898 purchased by C. H. Sears, who en-
larged and improved it wonderfully. It was
formerly twenty-six by forty-six feet in dimen-
sions, but is now twenty-six by one hundred and
six feet, with an annex of twenty-four by twenty-
six feet, also a boiler house. Under the former
management it was conducting a business of six-
teen thousand dollars annually, but under the
present management it has increased to a cash
business of seventy-five thousand dollars. He
manufactures and handles all kinds of stock food
and makes the finest quality of buckwheat in
the market. Mr. Sears is a thorough believer in
the idea that nothing succeeds like success, and
during his business career has carried out those
principles.

Mr. Sears was born in Clinton township,
Wayne county, Pennsylvania, in 1850, a son of
Justus and Elizabeth (Davis) Sears. Justus Sears
was also a native of Wayne county, and his wife
was a native of Wales. Justus Sears was a
farmer and speculator, and a man of considerable
intelligence and influence, standing high in the
community in which he resided. His family con-
sisted of five children, three of whom attained
years of maturity, namely: Lydia, Ellen (Mrs.
Kimball) and Charles H., mentioned at length
hereinafter. Eleanor S. Kimball, daughter of
Mrs. Ellen Kimball, is a lady of rare and high
talent, a noted elocutionist and impersonator,
whose ability is recognized and acknowledged by
the most enlightened critics at home and abroad.

After completing his education in the common
schools of his native township, Charles H. Sears
taught school four years, after which he served
an apprenticeship at the trade of carpenter. His
first four years as journeyman was in the employ
of the Delaware and Hudson Company, and later
he became connected with the Delaware, Lacka-
wanna and Western Company, in whose service
he remained eighteen years as trainman. On May
4, 188 1, he lost a leg, his foot catching in a frog,
and upon his recovery from the effects of this
accident took up telegraphy. The company sta-



tioned him at Clarks Summit, where he remained
for sixteen years, and in 1898 at the expiration
of this period of time he retired from his position
as agent to engage in his present business. In
1901 he purchased the Chinchilla Mill, which he
operates to advantage, his son Grover being in
charge of the same. Mr. Sears adheres to the
tenets of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his
political affiliations are with the Democratic
party.

In 1875 Mr. Sears married Mary E. Bartron,
of Wayne county, Pennsylvania. Five children
were the issue of this marriage, two of whom
are living at the present time (1904) : David D.,
manager of the Dixon Theatre, Scranton, and
Grover, manager of the Chinchilla Mill. The
family Orccupy a high social position, and their
home is noted for hospitality and kindly feeling.

THOMAS E. SCHILLING, of Clarks Sum-
mit, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, where he
has resided for twelve years, or since 1892, and
has proven to its residents that he is well qualified
to pursue the wagon making business to a practi-
cal and successful issue, is a man of intelligence,
firmness of character and high principle, and
therefore exerts a good influence in his commun-
ity and is potent in its public life. He was born
in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, in 1868, one of a
family of twelve children born to Joseph and Su-
san (Huthmaker) Schilling, four of whom are
living at the present time ( 1904) , namely : Dollie,
Jacob, Katie and Thomas E. Joseph Schilling
( father) was born in Germany, from whence he
came to this country when only thirteen years of
age. He was a contractor and builder of some
prominence, following his trade in the city of
Wilkes-Barre, where he resided up to the time of
his decease, 1876. His widow is still living
( 1904) ; she is a native of Ransom township,
Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania.

Thomas E. Schilling was reared in his native
city, Wilkes-Barre, and was indebted to the public
school system for his educational advantages. He
served an apprenticeship at the trade of black-
smith under the competent supervision of Ira
Davis, and after thoroughly mastering all the de-
tails secured employment as a journeyman with
Simpson & Company, of Archbald, with whom he
remained for a number of years. In 1892 he moved
to Clarks Summit and in a small way established
a wagon making business, which has since grown
to its present extensive proportions. He pur-
chased a piece of ground which consists of one
hundred by one hundred and seventy feet,



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



259



"whereon he erected a shop, two stories high,
-tvventv-four by seventy-five feet in dimensions,
with an annex for machinery sixteen by seventy-
five feet. He uses a gasohne engine of twelve
horse power which runs his machinery, this be-
ing of the best and latest improved style, and his
force of men are competent to turn out the best
vehicles propelled by horse power.

The respect and esteem in which Mr. Schill-
ing is held by his fellow-citizens is evidenced by
the fact that he was chosen to serve in the ca-
pacity of poor director of South Abington town-
ship, being the incumbent at the present time.
He is a member of Waverly Lodge, No. 301, Free
■ and Accepted Masons, of which he is master
(1904) ; a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows of Clark* Green ; and a member of
the Knights of Malta.

In 1898 ;\Ir. Schilling was united in marriage
to Elizabeth Hunter, daughter of Samuel and
Susan Hunter, and they are the parents of one
;son, Lester H., born JNIay 20, 1901.

GEORGE K. DRAKE. Among the worthy
representatives of the old pioneer stock of the
Lackawanna A^alley none is more sincerely or
more justly respected than George K. Drake, of
Old Forge. The grandfather of Mr. Drake,
Charles Drake, Senior, was a resident of
Schooley's Mountain, Morris county. New Jer-
sey, manv years prior to the Revolutionary war.

Charles Drake. Jr., son of Charles Drake, Sr.,
was born February 14, 1786, at Schooley's
Mountain, i\Iorris county, New Jersey, and in
1808 went to Pennsylvania and settled in Lack-
awanna county. He became the possessor of
several pieces of land, the first one which he pur-
chased consisting of forty acres. Twenty of
these, together with all right to the mineral be-
neath, are now the property of his son, George
K. Drake. This land, which was purchased in
1816, has ever since been continuously in the pos-
session of the Drake family. Mr. Drake owned
in all about seven hundred acres, four hundred of
which were the joint property of himself and
Samuel Hoyt. Mr. Drake witnessed the growth
and upbuilding of the county. At the time when
he took up his residence in Old Forge there were
but six families living between that place and
Hyde Park, and in that extent of country there
were only three openings of coal. In 1833 Mr.
Drake opened a tavern in the house afterward
occupied by his son Ebenezer, and for many years
"this was the principal stopping-place between Car-



bondale and Wilkes-Barre. Air. Drake also con-
ducted a tannery and cultivated two farms. In
politics he was identified with the Whigs until the
organization of the Republican party, with which
he immediately associated himself. His religious
affiliations were with the Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Drake married, October 3, 1812, Millie,
born April 20, 1794, in what is now Lackawanna
county, daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Dick-
son) Knapp. The former, who was a member of
a Massachusetts family, took up land in this
county about 1790, and was one of the first
settlers at Old Forge, where he cleared a tract
of unimproved land. He and his brother Zep-
haniah were soldiers in the Revolutionary army.
Mr. and Mrs. Drake were the parents of two
sons: Ebenezer, and George K., mentioned at
length hereinafter. The death of Mr. Drake oc-
curred March 22, 1873. and that of his widow
February 23, 1875. They left behind them the
memory of good and useful lives.

George K. Drake, son of Charles and Millie
(Knapp) Drake, was born in 1830, in the tavern
in Old Forge of which his father was the proprie-
tor. He received his education in the schools of
his birthplace, and learned the tanner's and cur-
rier's trade under the instruction of his father.
This calling he followed for a number of years,
and was recognized as one of the leading busi-
ness men of Old Forge. Although never taking
an active part in public affairs Mr. Drake has al-
ways been a good citizen, interested in all that
pertains to the welfare of the community, and ever
ready to lend his aid and influence to any enter-
prise which commended itself to his best judg-
ment as having a tendency to improve in any way
the condition of his neighbors.

Mr. Drake married in i8_SS. Sarah, a native
of Taylor and daughter of John and Catherine
(Ward) Atherton. Three childnen have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Drake : William, deceased ;
George, and Caroline. George Drake married
Martha Shoemaker, and they have three children :
Estella S., Charles B., and Caroline C. Caroline
Drake became the wife of T. J. Stewart, of
Waverly, New York, and is the mother of one
daughter, Sarah E. George Drake and T. J.
Stewart, his brother-in-law, are leading mer-
chants in Old Forge under the firm name of Drake
& Stewart. Mr. Drake has filled the office of
borough treasurer, and his partner, Mr. Stewart,
has served as a member of the council. Their
store is of large proportions and is stocked with
the best product of farm and factory.



26o



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



F. M. YOUNG, of Clarks Summit, Penn-
sylvania, the leading merchant of that thrifty
village, is a self-made man in the truest sense of
the term. He has hewn out for himself by hon-
orable and conscientious dealings a prominent
place in business circles as well as in the confidence
of his extensive and rapidly increasing patronage.
He was born in Gardner, Ulster county. New
York, March 14, 1859, a son of Nicholas and
Harriet (McEwen) Young.

Nicholas Young (father) was born in Ger-
many, in 1830, and at the age of fourteen years
emigrated to the United States, locating in Ulster
county. New York, where he tarried a few years.
He was a tanner by trade, which occupation he
followed up to the time of his retirement from
active pursuits. In 1871 he removed tO' Shultz-
ville, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, where he
resided up to his decease. His wife, Harriet
(McEwen) Young, a native of Ulster county.
New York, bore him four children, namely ;
Jennie (Mrs. Beemer), matron of Hillside Home;
Jessie (Mrs. Jerome Morrow), Hattie (Mrs.
Beemer), of Port Clinton, Ohio.; and F. M. The
father of these children died March 15, 1898, and
the mother November 10, 1900.

F. M. Young resided in his native town,
Gardner, New York, until his twelfth year, at-
tending the common schools thereof, when he ac-
companied his parents to Shultzville, Pennsyl-
vania. He served an apprenticeship at the trade
of tanner, which he followed up to the year 1892.
For a number of years he held the position of
foreman, and later was promoted to that of super-
intendent, in which capacity he served up to the
time of engaging in his present business, in 1892.
His store is well furnished with the best and most
perfect goods obtainable, which come direct from
the producer, and his storeroom is also well
stocked with everything requisite for a thoroughly
first-class general store. During the period oif
his proprietorship he has made a host of friends
and gained hundreds of customers throughout the
adjacent territory. He served as postmaster of
the village under President Cleveland's adminis-
tration, and for four years held the office of school
director of the township. He believes in the
principles of the Democratic party, whose plat-
form he has sujiported since attaining his ma-
jority. He holds membership in the Maccabees,
Knights of Malta, Waverly Lodge, No. 301, Free
and Accepted Masons, Factoryvllle Chapter, and
Couer De Lion Commandery, No. 17.

In 1879 Mr. Young was united in marriage to



Alartha, daughter of Whitney and Lydia (Cap-
well) Reonard. Their children are : Helen, Ed-
ward, Ethel, and Clarence.

JOHN B. SHIPPEY, of Clarks Summit,
Pennsylvania, one of the most extensive lumber
manufacturers and dealers in this section of the
state, also actively and prominently identified
with other successful enterprises, from which he
derives a goodly income, is a son of John T. and
Susan W. (Hawk) Shippey, and grandson of
Charles and Hannah (Allen) Shippey.

Charles Shippey (grandfather) was born in
Vermont, 1793, died February, 1872, at Waverly,
Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania. He was one
of a family of five sons ; Charles, Ferdinand and
Stephen served in the War of 1812; Biather, the
eldest, not being in goocf health was unable to
serve ; and Dewey, the youngest, was too young
to be enrolled. Charles Shippey was a carpenter
by trade and also an experienced millwright, and
by following these occupations was enabled to
provide a comfortable home for his family. He
purchased one hundred acres of land in I31akely
township, and not being aware that his land was.
rich in anthracite coal traded it for land west of
the mountain. His wife, whose maiden name
was Hannah Allen, bore him a family of eleven
children, four of whom are living, as follows :
John T., Charles, James and Mrs. Polly Hall.
Hannah (Allen) Shippey was born in Green
coiunty, New York, in 1793, died in Tunkhannock
township, 1849. She was a niece of Colonel
Ethan Allen, of Revolutionary fame.

John T. Shippey (father) was born in Blakely
township, and was killed July 22, 1905, while-
superintending the work of his men in the woods ;
he was hit on the head with a tree, living but a
very short time after the accident. His active
career has been devoted to the lumber business,,
which he conducted on an extensive scale, and
from which he was enabled to amass a competence
for his declining years. He was a man of consid-
erable influence in his township, and all measures,
for the public welfare received his cordial support.
He was united in marriage to Susan W. Hawk,
who was born in Kingston township, Luzerne
county, Pennsylvania, March 20 , 1837. Six
children were the issue of this union, namely :
John B., Frank A., Frederic E., deceased ; Dora
M., Harry R., and Harvey E., deceased. Mrs.
Shippey is now (1905) living at the borough of
Waverly, Lackawanna county.

John I'). Shippey was born in Tunkhannock,.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



26r



Wyoming county, Pennsylvania, i860. His pre-
liminary education was obtained in the public
■schools, and this was supplemented by a course
of study at Waverly Academy, Waverly, and
Keystone Academy, Factoryville. In 1893 he
moved to Lackawanna county, where he has since
resided. Throughout his active career he has
been engaged in the manufacture and sale of
lumber and plaster, and in the operation of a saw
mill in Newtown township. At Clarks Summit
he owns and operates a planing mill, lumber yard,
and a plant for the manufacture of wall plaster,
which is the best product in its line found on the
market, and which business he established in
1901. Thus, indirectly, he has been instrumental
in the building up of his town, the interests of
which receive from him a heart}- support. Mr.
Shippey adheres to the tenets of the Baptist
Church, and to the principles of the Democratic
party. He was a candidate for the office of
prothonotary for Wyoming county, but was de-
feated at the polls by a small majority. Mr. Ship-
pey is a member of the Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, affiliating with Waverly Lodge, No. 301 ;
Factoryville Chapter, No. 204, and Coeur De Lion
Commandery, No. 17. He is also a member of
the Improved Order of Red Men.

Mr. Shippey was married June 15, 1892, to
Ethel J. Quick, daughter of Davis and Ellen
■Quick. No issue.

JOHN G. MOFFAT, one of the well known
and highly respected citizens of Dunmore, Penn-
sylvania, where he has resided for thirty-four
years, is a native of Scotland, a country in which
honest and sturdy men are reared, men who make
noble and lo}'al citizens of whatever country they
adopt as their own. His birth occurred in Dum-
frieshire, January 21, 1835. His parents were
William and Agnes ( Gilchrist) Moffat, of Nan-
lock Head, Scotland, whose family consisted of
seven children, two of whom are living: John
G., and Marian, also a resident of Dunmore.

At an early age, after completing a common
school education, John G Moffat turned his at-
tention to lead mining. After working in the
mines for a number of years, he was transferred
to the smelting house, and subsequently to the
refining department, where the lead was separted
from the silver, there being always a large per-
centage of silver in lead, this being done by a
system of crystaJizing, and he followed this re-
fining process up to 1870. Dumfrieshire, the
town in which he was born, reared, worked and
resided, was one of the richest in Great Britain.



In 1870 Mr. Moffat, with his family, emigrated
to the United States, locating in Dunmore, Penn-
sylvania, where he became an employee of the
Pennsylvania Coal Company, serving in the ca-
pacity of miner. In 1876 he was promoted to
mine foreman, which position he held for fifteen
years. His services were highly prized by the
company and his retirement a matter of deep
regret, as he was one of their most experienced
and trustworthy men. In 1892 he entered into a
copartnership with T. J. Williamson under the
firm name of Moffat & Williamson, dealers in dry
goods, boots and shoes, and after conducting the
same for four years retired in favor of his son,
John Moffat. He became the owner of several
lots upon which he erected houses, and these he
subsequently sold to his sons-in-law. He still re-
tains and owns a beautiful home on Elm street.
During the early years of his life J\Ir. Moffat was
a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which
body he held the office of elder and trustee, but
later in life, for good and sufficient reasons,
changed his church relation by becoming a mem-
ber of the Baptist Church, in which body he is
deacon. It has been his aim to live according to
the principle of the Golden Rule, and therefore
he enjoys the confidence of the people among
whom he lives.

In 1856 Mr. Moffat married Martha G John-
ston, also a native of Scotland, and to this union
were born ten children, seven of whom were born
in Scotland, namely : Isabelle, Agnes, Mary,
William, Elizabeth, Thomas, deceased ; and John.
The children born in Dunmore are as follows :
James, Alartha G, and Marian. Isabelle is the
wife of the Rev. John R. Davis, D. D., pastor of a
Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. Agnes is
the wife of W. W. Mills. Mary is the wife of J.
W. Reid. Elizabeth is the wife of Thomas J.
Williamson. Martha G. is the wife of the Rev.
A. B. O'Neil, of the Baptist Church. While Mr.
Moffat is a loyal citizen of the United States of
America, yet there is a longing on his part to see
his native highlands again and breathe their pure
and invigorating atmosphere. He has made
three visits to Scotland since coming to America
in 1870, on one of which he took his wife. His
last trip was made in the fall of 1904.

PETER F. REILLY. Among the progress-
ive men of Lackawanna county, Peter F. Reilly,
of Dunmore, occupies a conspicuous place. Mr.
Reilly is of Irish parentage. His father. Thomas
Reilly, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, whence
he emigrated to the United States. He settled in



262



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Dunmore, where he worked at his occupation,
being a capable and experienced miner. His
wife was Mary Moran, a native of County SHgo.,
Ireland, and of the nine children born to them
five are now living: John, Peter F., mentioned
at length hereinafter ; Patrick J., Jane, who is
the wife of James Canley, and Margaret. Mr.
Reillv, who was a truly worthy man, lost his life



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 54 of 130)