Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 60 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 60 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at the public schools of his town, Wav-
erly Academy, Waverly, Pennsylvania, and
the Keystone Academy, Factory, Pennsyl-
vania. At the age of nineteen years he
began to study medicine under the watchful care

•of his father. Dr. Lewis Van Sickle, anrl was
assistant at the Lackawanna Hospital, Scranton,
for one year. In 1883 he entered Jefferson Med-
ical College, Philadelphia, from which he was
graduated at the head of his class on April 2,
1886. For one and one-half years he practiced
under his father at Waverly, Pennsylvania, and
in 1888 set up his own establishment in



Olyphant. where he has since continued. In
addition to his private practice, which has
steadily increased in volume and import-
ance from year to year owing to his ability
and skill in professional lore, he serves as ex-
aminer for all the old line insurance companies
of Scranton, and is medical examiner for all
fraternal insurance societies in C)lyphant. In 1887
he became a member of the Lackawanna Medical
Society, served as its first vice-president and sub-
sequently as president, and is also a member of
the State i\Iedical Society and the American Med-
ical Association. Socially he is affiliated with
Kingsbury Lodge, No. 466, Free and Accepted
Masons, in which he is past master ; Lackawanna
Chapter, No. 185, Scranton ; Melita Comman-
derv, No. 68, also of Scranton, and Irem Temple,
Mystic Shrine, Wilkes-Barre.

In 1888 Dr. Van Sickle married Cora R. Hull,
daughter of George M. Hull, of Blakely, Penn-
sylvania, and her death occurred in 1895. She
was a most estimable woman, faithful and con-
scientious in the performance of her manifold du-
ties, and was greatly beloved by her husband and
children. Their children are as follows : Clara,
Karl, and Frieda Van Sickle.

WILLIAM BELL is one o.f the well known
citizens of Peckville, Lackawanna county, Penn-
sylvania, where he has resided for two years
more than the half century mark. During this
long period of time he has enjoyed all the politi-
cal honors his fellow-citizens could bestow upon
him, having filled every office in the borough of
Blakely from chief burgess to judge of elections
— councilman, tax collector and school director
— being the incumbent of the latter named office
for twenty-one years. He was born in Dumfrie-
shire, Scotland, August 4, 1834, a son of Robert
and Jane (Gillespie) Bell.

Robert Bell ( father) was a native of Scotland,
and accompanied by his wife Jane (Gillespie)
Bell and six children, all of whom were born in
Scotland, emigrated to this country in 1840, when
William Bell was six years of age. One child
was born after their arrival in the United States,
whose name is Joseph. The family settled at
Carbondale, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania,
where Robert Bell entered the employ of the Del-
aware and Hudon Company as boss, remaining
as such up to 1845 when he removed to what is
now known as Mayfield, where he settled on a
farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits in or-
der that his children might grow up with less
restraint and be subject to less evil influences.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



287



Of the seven children born to Robert and Jane
Bell only two survive — William and Joseph —
who were reared and educated in Carbondale, at-
tending the common schools.

\\'illiam Bell followed farming, teaming and
carpenter work up to 1864, when he entered the
emplov of the D. & H. compan\', with whom
he was employed for thirty years in the capacity
of superintendent. In 1894 he retired from this
position, after which he built a store-room with
the intention of conducting an extensive business,
but in some unaccountable manner the store with
all its contents was destroyed by fire ; the loss sus-
tained amounted to seven thousand dollars. Since
that time ^Ir. Bell has led a retired life, his means
of livelihood being the income from the twelve
houses he owns and which are rented to miners.
His reputation as a humane landlord is well
known. More than once when money was scarce
with his tenants, as is often the case during a
strike, he would give a receipt for a month's rent
without any equivalent whatever, and he has also
performed many other acts of kindness known
only to the recipients. He erected fourteen
<lwelling houses in the borough of Blakely, to
which place he moved in 1852, twelve of which
as above mentioned he owns, and these contrib-
uted materially to the growth and development
of that section of the town. He is a member of
Harper Lodge. No. 707, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows.

In 1865 ^Ir. Bell \\as united in marriage to
Kate Coal, of Pittston, Pennsylvania, and their
children are as follows : Mrs. C. H. Beatty ; ]\Irs.
Jennie C. Kilthour ; William M., a resident of
Philadelphia ; Joseph R., an electrician for the
D. & H. Company : Mrs. J. B. Reed ; and An-
drew, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Bell are both
devout Christians and worthy members of the
jMethodist Episcopal church, in which he has
held the office of trustee. Thomas Gillespie, ma-
ternal uncle of \Mlliam Bell, a bachelor, also a
native o.f Scotland, was one of the first mer-
chants of Carbondale, Pennsylvania, and one of
its most worthy and estimable citizens.

JA:\IES young. The death of County
Treasurer James Young, January 20, 1905. re-
moved from Dunmore, Pennsylvania, one of its
best known and most popular citizens. His ca-
reer afforded a striking example of what can be
accomplished by the union of capability and in-
dustry with high principle and devotion to duty.
He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 26,



1843, ^ son of \\'illiam and Elizabeth ( Bryden)
Young.

William Young (father) was born in Scot-
land, reared, educated and married there, and on
April 24, 1843. accompanied by his wife and son
James, emigrated to the United States. He set-
tled at Carbondale, Lackawanna countv, Pennsyl-
vania, where he resided seven years, during which
time he was employed by the Delaware and Hud-
son Company. His first position w'as that of de-
liverer of goods, which he filled until 185 1. He
was a miner and for fifty years engaged in con-
tract work. Subsequently he removed to the
borough of Dunmore, where the remainder of his
life was spent. In politics he was a staunch Re-
publican. He married Elizabeth Bryden, also a
native of Scotland, and they were the parents of
fourteen children, all of whom with the exception
of James, the eldest, were born in this country,
Eleven grew to maturity and ten are now living :
James, mentioned at length hereinafter ; Mary,
who became the wife of James Mears ; Thomas
R. : Isabell, who became the wife of Alexander
Smith ; Janet, wife of William Law : Katie : Eliza-
beth : Margaret, who became the wife of James
Bryden : Jennie : Alexander ; and David. Will-
iam Young, the father of this large familv. who
was a man of pure principles and highly respected
bv all who came in contact with him, died May
. 10, 1892. His widow, a woman of most estimable
chraracter, passed away March 7, 1897.

James Young received a limited education in
the common schools of Lackawanna county, and
at an early age was placed at work in the breaker
o.f the Pennsylvania Coal Company as slate picker.
In 1854 he entered the mines, where for three
years he was a mule-driver, and from 1858 to
1863 he was engaged in mining coal with his
father. In the latter year he went into the ma-
chine shop, wdiere he learned the trade, remaining
until July, 1868. Having had the misfortune of
losing an eye by an accident, jNIr. Young aban-
doned his trade and returned to the mines. He
moved to Pittston, where he was mine boss, and
in 1869 was sent to Pleasant Valley, where he
succeeded James L. McMullen as foreman of
Brown colliery, a position which he held until
March 17, 1873. He was then transferred to
Dunmore, where he took charge of the Pennsyl-
vania mines as superintendent, retaining this po-
sition until 1903. His administration of afifairs
was very successful, resulting in great profit for
the company, and in much satisfaction to the men
under his control, whom he treated with firm



288



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



kindness and by whom he was universally loved
and respected, and after half a century of steady
employment with the company they were unani-
mously sorry that he had separated his connec-
tion.

Notwithstanding his close application ta the
duties of his calling, Mr. Young found time to
take an active part in public affairs. He was
elected a member of the school board of Dunmore
in the early eighties, and served continuously for
seventeen years. It was when Mr. Young started
out to secure the office of treasurer of the county
that he came prominently in the public eye as a
politician. The fact that he came from such a
strong Democratic stronghold was largely re-
sponsible for the repeated defeats of that ambi-
tion by the Republican leaders. He was first a
candidate for the office of county treasurer be-
fore the Republican conventioji that met in the
summer of 1894, and was again in 1897, and in
1900 he came out as a candidate for the office
against Hon. J. A. Scranton, and although he
made a splendid showing in this fight was de-
feated by a small margin. In June, 1903, he
succeeded in securing the nomination, this time
against Robert M. Scranton, and in November
of the same year was elected to the office, and
from the first Monday in January, 1904, when he
took the chair of office, until his decease dis-
charged the duties devolving upon him in such a
manner as to give great satisfaction to all good
citizens. As a citizen and public official, the rec-
ord of Mr. Young was creditable to himself and
profitable to others, setting forth very clearly that
without the influence of wealth or prestige of
family he attained to positions of usefulness and
honor.

In 1863 Mr. Young married Lucretia Town-
send, of Fulton, New York, and they were- the
parents of one daughter, Helen E., who is now
a resident of Baldwinsville, New York. Mrs.
Young died in March, 1868, and on May 11,
1875, Mr. Young married Charlotte Harrington,
who bore him one son, James H., who is a grad-
uate of the University of Pennsylvania, and is at
present taking a special course on diseases o.f the
eye, ear, nose and throat in Wills Eye Hospital,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

JOHN J. AITKEN. Few of the men promi-
nent in the mining regions of Pennsylvania have
achieved more by their own unaided efforts than
has John J. Aitken, of Priceburg. He is the son
of John and Catherine Aitken, and was born in
1867, in Lanarkshire, Scotland.



In 1882 Mr. Aitken emigrated to this country
and settled in Pittston, Pennsylvania, where he
learned the blacksmith's trade and worked for
the Pennsylvania Coal Company in connection
with the Barnum colliery. At the end of four
years he moved to Scranton, securing a position
as blacksmith with the Fairlawn Coal Company.
Perceiving the necessity of a knowledge of the
machinist's trade he applied himself to the acqui-
sition of it, and was soon able to practice it in
conjunction with that of a blacksmith. In 1889
he was given a position as assistant foreman of
the Clifford colliery at Forest City, for the Hill-
side Coal & Iron Company of that place. In 1893
moved to Priceburg, where he received a posi-
tion as outside foreman, serving under 'Sir. John
Jermyn in Number Three colliery. He remained
there until the colliery was purchased by the
Scranton Coal Company in 1899. By this com-
pany he was then promoted to be superintendent
of the Johnson mines Number One and Number
Two, and in 1 90 1 became outside division super-
intendent of the upper division or northern dis-
trict of the company. He had six collieries and
one washer under his supervision, and the uni-
form justice and kindliness which he has dis-
played toward his workmen have secured in all
respects the most desirable results and have estab-
lished the most satisfactory relations between em-
ployer and employed. Notwithstanding the
pressing demands of his calling, Mr. Aitken is
active as a citizen, and has served for six years
as councilman of Dickson City, and is chief of
the fire department of that place. He is a mem-
ber of Kingsbury Lodge, No. 466, F. & A. M.

Mr. Aitken married, December 6, 1893, Kath-
erine Condon, of Sterrucca, Susquehanna county,
Pennsylvania, and four children have been born
to them, two of whom are living: William, born
in 1897, and Mabel, born in 1901.

R. J. LLOYD, M. D., a young and promising
physician, whose residence is in Blakely. but
whose practice extends far beyond the boundaries
of that borough, is thoroughly qualified for his
honorable and humane profession by birth, educa-
tion and disposition. He is a native of Lansford,
Carbon county, Pennsylvania, the date of his birth
being August 15, 1877.

Dr. W. E. Lloyd, father of Dr. R. J. Lloyd,
was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. He
possessed talent of a high order and a wide range
of knowledge outside of his profession. He was
a druggist by profession before he turned his at-
tention to the practice of medicine, and operated



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



289



a drug store at Lansford, Pennsylvania. While a
resident of that town he took up the study of
medicine and its application to disease, and was
finally admitted to practice. In 1878 he took up
his residence in Olyphant, and continued to prac-
tice his profession, also to operate a drug store
there until the year of his death, 1899, while yet
in the vigor of young manhood. His vi'idow sur-
vives him. Dr. Lloyd was employed by the gov-
ernment as pension examiner for several years.
He was a stanch Republican, and upheld the prin-
ciples of his party. He served as alderman in
Olyphant, and was a representative of his party
as a delegate to one of the state political con-
ventions, giving entire satisfaction as a man who
understood the rights and privileges of his party.
His family consisted of three children : William
E., now a physician at Poultney, Vermont, but
was formerly a druggist in Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania, his father having started him in the busi-
ness there. Charlotte C, a successful educator
and principal of the Blakely school. Dr. R. J.,
mentioned at length hereinafter. The mother of
these children, whose maiden name was IMinnie
A. Ackerman, is a native of Schuylkill county,
Pennsylvania.

During his early childhood the parents of Dr.
R. J. Lloyd took up their residence in Olyphant.
Pennsylvania, where he enjoyed the advantages
of the schools of that town ; he was also a student
in the schools of Lackawanna. After three years
in a drug store he entered the Baltimore College,
and after pursuing the regular course was grad-
uated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in
1897. He then located in Middletown Springs,
Vermont, where he practiced medicine up to 1900,
when he removed to Blakely and established a
practice there, which has steadily increased as his
skill and ability in professional matters were rec-
ognized and appreciated. He registered as a
physician during his short stay in the state of
Maryland, being there as a student. He is now
( 1904) serving as a member of the board of
health of Blakely. He is a member of the Im-
proved Order of Red Men.

In 1899 Dr. Lloyd was united in marriage to
Edith Clift, of \'ermont. Their children are :
Charlotte and Irene Lloyd. The Clifts are an
old colonial family, whose ancestors took an ac-
tive part in the Revolutionarv struggle for free-
dom. H. R. Clift, father of Rlrs. Dr. Lloyd, was
a veteran in the Civil war, was wounded at the
battle of Gettysburg, and while confined in the
hospital fell in love with his nurse. Miss Emiline
Ogden, who subsequently became Mrs. Clift and
mother of Mrs. Dr. Lloyd.

2—19



JOSEPH G. BELL, a veteran of the Civil
war, now living retired, formerly in the employ
of the Delaware and Hudson Company, with
which he served in various capacities smce at-
taining his nineteenth year with the exception of
the three years and four months he fought for
the honor and integrity of this great nation which
he loves and reveres. He had charge of the Eddv
Creek colliery, where he controlled and guided
two hundred hands, and he enjoyed the distinc-
tion of having the cleanest record of any man in
the employ of that great company, which is a
leading and prominent factor in the industries
of that section of the state. He was born in Car-
bondale, Pennsylvania, November 4, 1840, of
Scotch parentage, from whom he derived the per-
severance and thrift which has characterized his
career.

Robert and Jane (Gillespie) Bell, parents of
Joseph G. Bell, were natives of Scotland, their
births occurring in 1792 and 1802, respectively-
They emigrated to this country in 1840, the voy-
age being both long and tedious, but they finally^
landed safely and made their way by canal boat
and gravity road to Carbondale, where they spent
a few years and subsequently located on a farm in
what is now Mayfield, Pennsylvania. Thev re-
sided there until 1852, during which year they re-
moved to Blakely township, where a tract of land
was purchased upon which they settled and there
spent the remainder of their days. Robert Bell
(father) was employed as foreman for a few
years by the D. & H. Company. He was a
worthy and conscientious man, a stanch believer
in the doctrines of the Presbyterian Church, and
a man of strong mind. As an example of his.
strength of mind and purpose the following fact
will suffice. From the age of sixteen to sixtv he
had been addicted to the use of tobacco, but upoa
concluding that it was best for his constitution to
abandon the use of the weed he put the tobacco
jar on the shelf in plain view and there it remained
untouched up to the time of his death, some
twenty-four years hence. If he ever longed for
it, no one was any the wiser. Of the six children
born to Robert and Jane (Gillespie) Bell, all but
Joseph G. were natives of Scotland. He and his
brother William, a sketch of whom appears else-
where in this work, are the only surviving mem-
bers of the family. Robert Bell died in 1872,
age of eighteen years when he entered the em-
eighty-six years.

The educational advantages enjoyed by Jo-
seph G. Bell were limited to those acquired in the-
common schools of his township. He was em-
ployed on his father's farm until he reached the



^90



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



age of eighteen years, when he entered the m-
ploy of the D. & H. Company, driving a team.
He continued at this work until the breaking out
of the Civil war when his patriotism inspired him
to enlist his services in defense of his country, as
should have been the case with every loyal citizen.
In 1861 he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-second
Regiment Pennsylvania \'olunteer Infantry, for
three years. He was soon promoted from pri-
vate to corporal, then to sergeant in 1862, the fol-
lowing year to orderly sergeant, and as such was
honorablv discharged in 1864, having served four
months over his time. On receiving his discharge
he was offered a captain's commission if he saw
proper to continue in the service, but longing to
see the loved ones at home he rejected the com-
mission, and later when he would have changed
his mind the war was ended. His regiment
fought all through McClellan's campaign, which
included Yorktown, Williamsburg, Seven Pines,
Fair Oaks, Seven Days Retreat, in which every
day had its battle. His regiment was then sent
to Follv Island, from there to Morris Island,
where a battle ensued, and then to James Island
where one hundred and sixty-seven of their men
were taken prisoners ; at this battle Mr. Bell re-
ceived a slight wound in the shoulder.

Upon his return to civil life, Mr. Bell again
entered the employ of the D. & H. Company
and drove a team for one year. In 1866 he went
to Grassy Island colliery, where he worked at
various jobs around the breaker for another year.
He was then sent into the car shop where he re-
mained up to 1872, and during that year he was
promoted to outside foreman of Grassy Island
colliery, which office he held for twenty-seven
years, and in 189Q he was placed in charge of
the Eddy Creek colliery. He was elected the first
constable of Blakely when it was made a borough,
was a member of the school board for three years,
president of the council for five years, councilman
for fifteen years, and burgess of Blakely borough
for two terms. He is an earnest and strong ad-
vocate of the principles of Republicanism, and is
deserving of all honors that his fellow-citizens can
confer upon him. He is a member of the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church, in which body he has
served in the capacity of trustee for twenty years.
He is affiliatetl with Oriental Star Lodge, No.
688, Free and Accepted Masons, in which he has
served as master, and James E. Stevens Post. No.
304, Grand Army of the Republic, in which he
served as commander.

Mr. Bell was united in marriage in 1867 to
Eveline Silsley, who bore him one son — George — ;



a carpenter by trade. Mrs. Bell died in 1899.
Mr. Bell married for his second wife Mrs.
Mar\- Barney, the ceremony being performed in
1902.

WILLIAM VANDERVORT. The business
men of Lackawanna county have a worthy repre-
sentative in William Vandervort, of Peckville.
Mr. Vandervort is descended, as his name de-
notes, from ancestors who emigrated from Hol-
land to America. It is probable that they found
a home in the province of New York, and that
they came thither during the early period when
the government was in the hands of the Dutch
and the city of New York was called New Am-
sterdam.

Jacob \'andervort was born in New York
state, and in 1873 moved to Glenwood, Susque-
hanna county, Pennsylvania. He was a farmer
in comfortable circumstances, passing his time in
the labors of his calling and in the discharge of
his duties as a citizen. He married Hannah
Brewer, also a native of New York state, and
they were the parents of two children : \\'illiam,
mentioned at length hereinafter ; and Frederick,
a carpenter, residing at Dolph, Pennsylvania. i\Ir.
Vandervort, the father, led the somewhat une-
ventful life of a prosperous farmer, respected by
all for his cjuiet usefulness and unobtrusive worth.
He died in 1899 and his estimable wife expired
the same year.

William Vandervort, son of Jacob and Han-
nah (Brewer) Vandervort, was bom May 11,
1862, in Delaware county, New York, where he
received his primary education. After the re-
moval of the family to Glenwood, Susquehanna
county, Pennsylvania, his scholastic training was
completed in the schools of that region. In 1883
he went to Peckville and entered into partnership
with I. S. Ferris & Company, of that place. His
sole reason for taking this step was his strong
inclination for a commercial career, inasmuch as
he had for the five years previous been in the
service of the Lackawanna Coal Company. The
partnership with I. S. Ferris & Company contin-
ued for twelve years, and in 1897 Mr. Vander-
vort formed a partnership with A. F. Kizer, un-
der the firm name of Kizer & Vandervort, gen-
eral contractors and dealers in builders' supplies.
This connection lasted for two years, at the end
of which time another partner was taken into the
firm in the person of D. J. Beardslee. Three
months later Mr. Kizer's share in the business
was purchased bv the other partners, the firm
thus becoming that of Vandervort & Beardslee,



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



291



under which name the business is still con-
■ducted. Their trade is large and contsantly in-
creasing. The demands of business leave Mr.
\'andervort little time for political duties or social

■ enjovments. He is, however, never wanting in
the obligations of a citizen, and maintains his con-
nection with the Oriental Star Lodge, No. 588,
F. and A. M., of which he is a charter member.

Mr. Vandervort married, August 12, 1884,
Nora Ferris, of Peckville, and they were the par-

■ ents of one daughter, Anna B. Mrs. Vander-
vort died January 15, 1899, and May 29, 1902,
Mr. \'andervort married Mrs. Bessie F. (Drake)
Taylor.

J. F. JACOB, :\I. D. One of the ablest and
best known physicians of the county is Dr. J. F.
Jacob, of Throop. By birth and ancestry Dr.
Jacob is a Welshman. His grandfather, Daniel

Jacob, married Margaret , and they were

the parents of two sons, both of whom emigrated
to the United States: Thomas F., mentioned at
length hereinafter ; and Richard, who held the



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 60 of 130)