Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 77 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 77 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ton (veteran surgeon of a cavalry regiment of
regulars of the Army of the Potomac). They
have one son, Philip Van Cleef, born October
14. 1887.

The next child of Charles is Mary Gertrude,
born November 3, 185 1, who is now mistress
of the old homestead. Always interested and
active in all good work, she was an angel of
comfort to her father's declining years.

The second son of Charles was Edward Cur-
tis, born June 28, 1856. He served under his
elder brother in \'irginia. He was later in the
steel plant at Scranton. He was one of the in-
trepid little party that suppressed the mob on
Lackawanna avenue in 1877, and was first ser-
geant of one of the battalion companies imme-
diately thereafter organized. Threatened with
lung trouble, he removed td Colorado, and tried
ranching, then railroading. He married, Oc-
tober. 1890, Miss Jeannette St. Clair, of Can-
ada. For several years he has been superin-
tendent of mining properties, with residence at
Pueblo, Colorado.

The third son of Charles was Charles Cas-
per, born August 5, 1858. He served a year un-
der his brother in Mrginia in 1877. He returned
to Scranton, and for thirty years has been in the
employ of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Com-
pany, leading a strenuous career as civil and
mining engineer of their plant. After his fath-
er's death in 1895 he was placed in full control
of the real estate of the company, which he has
since managed with recognized success. In
1878 he enlisted in the Scranton City Guards
(a battalion which afterwards became the Thir-
teenth Regiment. National Guards of Pennsyl-
vania). In this regiment he served for twenty-
one years, passing through all grades from pri-
vate to lieutenant-colonel. During the Home-
stead campaign in 1892 he performed the double
duty of regimental quartermaster and commis-

2-24



sary of subsistance. In 1897, during the Hazle-
ton campaign following the riots and bloodshed
at Lattimer, he was in command of the regiment,
and in the war wnth Spain in 1898 he was com-
missioned lieutenant-colonel Thirteenth Infantry,
Pennsylvania \"olunteers, acting as regimental
commander during the trying experiences at
Camp Alger, Virginia. After the naval battle
ofif Santiago had decided that issue, he resigned
from the Federal service and resumed the du-
ties of civil life. He is enrolled in the list of
retired officers of the National Guard of Penn-
sylvania, with rank of lieutenant-colonel, and is
rated as a veteran sharpshooter.

November 14, 1888, he was married to Au-
gusta H., youngest daughter of Dr. T. R. Crit-
tenden, of Dover, New Jersey. They have four
children: ]\Iargaret L., born Marcli 23, 1890;
Lydia Piatt, born June 14, 1892 ; Dorothea W.,
born October 15, 1894; and Robert Crittenden,
born July 8, 1897. The wife traces her ancestry
to Alfred the Great. One of them, William
Tuthill, emigrated to Boston in 1635, and was
a founder of the city of New Haven, Connecti-
cut. Another, Dr. Joseph Hinchman. was first
physician of the city of Elmira, New York. An-
other, Jacob Ford, entertained General Washing-
ton at his home in Morristown, New Jersey, the
building being now preserved as a "Washing-
ton's Headquarters."

Colonel Mattes has been chairman of the
board of trustees of the First Presbyterian
Church of Scranton for more than ten years. He
is a member of the American Institute of Alining
Engineers, a charter member of the Engineers'
Club of Scranton, a member of the Scranton
Club, a veteran comrade of the Military Order
of the Foreign Wars of America, a comrade
and past commandfer of the United Spanisli War
\'eterans, a member of Peter Williamson Lodge
of Masons, a companion of Lackawanna Royal
Arch Chapter, and a Sir Knight of Coeur de
Lion Commandery.

The youngest son of Charles F. is Louis
Theodore, born August 21, i860. He has been
engaged in several mercantile and manufactur-
ing lines, and is now president of a manufactur-
ing company in Philadelphia. He was married,
October 19, 1882, to Alice Mulley, of Scranton,
daughter of the late Ambrose Mulley, one of
Scranton's noted pioneer merchants. They have
no children. He served in the Thirteenth Regi-
ment more than twenty years, including a term
as adjutant during the entire period of the Span-
ish war, part of the time as brigade adjutant.
He was superintendent of the First Presbyterian



37°



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Sunday school of Scranton several years, also
treasurer of the church and elder until removal
to Philadelphia.

The youngest child of Charles F. is Cor-
nelia Wilson, born of the second wife, Decem-
ber 7, 1864. He graduated at Dana Hall,
Wellesley, and took a special library course 'at
Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, and is now assistant
librarian at the Albright Library, Scranton. She
has long been a worker in church and Sunday
school.

AMOS ARTHUR BARTON, M. D. This
well-known physician, who has practiced his pro-
fession successfully at Plains for nearly thirty
years, was born in Apalachin, Tioga county.
New York, February 22, 1849, son of the late
Johnson J. and Catherine (Lane) Barton. Dr.
Barton is of English and Irish ancestry. On the
paternal side he is a descendant in the fifth gen-
eration of Dr. Lewis Barton, an Englishman,
who in company with his two brothers immi-
grated to America in the latter part of the
eighteenth century. All of them were regularly
trained medical practitioners, and they settled
in Schoharie county. New York, where they fol-
lowed their profession for the remainder of their
lives.

Amos A. Barton, M. D., son of Dr. Lewis
Barton and great-grandfather of Dr. Amos Ar-
thur Barton, was born in Schoharie county. New
York, and practiced medicine successfully in the
eastern part of New York state. His wife bore
him eight children, one of whom, Hon. Johnson
J. Barton, was United States senator from New
York City.

Leonard Barton, son of Dr. Amos A. Barton
and grandfather of Dr. Amos Arthur Barton, was
born in Dutchess county, New York, and later
moved to Tioga county, same state, where he re-
sided until his death at the age of eighty-eight.
He married Sarah Allen, of Eastline, New York,
who died at the age of eighty-eight, and they
had six children : Albert, resided in Apalachin,
married Eliza Lane, of Schoharie county, and
had two sons; Johnson J., of whom later; Amos
A., died at the age of twenty-three years ; Maria,
married Warren Bills, resided in Corry, Penn-
sylvania, and reared several children ; Chancilor,
of Union, New York, married Mary \\'arrick
for his first wife, and Etta Warrick for his sec-
ond, becoming the father of eight children, five
of whom were of his first union ; and Susan, be-
came the wife of Bradford Patterson, of Corry,
Pennsylvania, and has a family of four children.

Johnson Jacob Barton, father of Dr. Amos



Arthur Barton, was born in Schoharie county,
New York, February 11, 1823. He settled first
in Tioga county, later in Binghamton, New York.
He married Catherine Lane, born in Tioga
county, daughter of James and Jane (Taylor)
Lane, the latter a native of the north of Ire-
land. James Lane v.-as a prosperous farmer of
Delaware. Johnson J. Barton died July 22,
1904, surviving his wife, whose death occurred
April 10, 1899. He was a farmer all his life.
They were the parents of ten children : Amos
Arthur, of whom later ; James, deceased, who
resided in Corry, Pennsylvania, married Anna
Darling, and had two children : Leonard Frank-
lin, married a i\Iiss Finch, and had two sons ;
Gurdon L., of Corry, married Emma Mercereau,
and has one son ; Charlotte I., died at the age
of fifteen years; Emma J., wife of Ceylon An-
drews, and resides in Binghamton, having one
child; Samuel Ta^dor, M. D., a practitioner of
Binghamton, married Nellie Allen, now de-
ceased ; Egbert, accidentally drowned at the age
of seven years ; Minnie Eliza, now residing in
Jamestown, New York, and Frederick C. of
Lestershire, New' York, married and has one
daughter.

Amos Arthur Barton was reared within the
invigorating atmosphere of farm life, the sur-
roundings of which are so conducive to the ac-
cumulation of physical strength and the stimu-
lation of mental activities. His preliminary ed-
ucation was concluded at the Corry high school,
from which he entered the Wyoming Seminary,
of Kingston, Pennsylvania, and his classical
studies were pursued at the Syracuse (New
York) University. His professional training
was acquired at the Louisville (Kentucky)
Medical College, where he was graduated a
Doctor of Medicine with the class of 1876. He
established himself in practice at Plains the same
year, and has resided there ever since. Dr. Bar-
ton devoted his attention to both medicine and
surgery, and the high reputation he has ac-
quired throughout his extensive field of opera-
tion evidences the fact that he made no mistake
in deserting the farm in order to enter profes-
sional life. His professional and fraternal affil-
iations are with the Pennsylvania State and Lu-
zerne County Medical Societies, the American
Medical Association, the Masonic order, the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows and the Im-
proved Order of Red INIen. Politically he is a
Republican.

Dr. Barton married, ;\Iay 29, 1877, Carrie
A. Clinton, born in Newark Valley, Tioga
county, New York. July 27, 1848. She is a



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



371



daughter of George and Lydia (Brooks) Clin-
ton, and is of a family of three children, the
others being Sarah and JMorris Clinton. Dr.
and Mrs. Barton have two children : ^lilton A.,
AL D., born [March 3, 1878, took his medical
degree at Louisville, Kentucky, graduating in
1905 ; and Lydia R., born December 10, 1880.
Dr. Barton is a member of the ]\Iethodist Epis-
copal church, of which he has been a steward
for a period of fifteen years, and ]\Irs. Barton is
also a member of that church.

MALCOM EDWARDS WALKER, whose
versatility finds evidence in his highly success-
ful career as educator, journalist and lawyer, is
a native of Pennsylvania, and a descendant of
an honored New England ancestry of the early
colonial epoch. He derives his descent from
Thomas Walker, of Boston, who died July 2,
1659. Thomas Walker (2) taught school in
Sudbury in 1664, and was keeper of an ordinary
in 1672. By his wife, j\Iar_y Stoner, also of
Boston (and who after the death of Mr. Walker
married Capt. John Goodenow, of Sudbury), he
became the father of ten children, equally di-
vided in number as to sons and daughters.
Thomas (3), the third son, born in Sudbury,
August 15, 1689, married Elizabeth JNIaynard,
June 16, 1717, and they had two sons and a
daughter. Of this family Hezekiah (3), born
in Sudbury, 1721, married in 1738 Hannah Put-
nam, and they had four children.

Of the last named family Hezekiah (4),
born in Holden, Massachusetts, February 25,
1747, died December 30, 1837, in 1776 married
Lucy Raymond, born 1755, died Januarv 21,
1849. Wrote Kulp : "For upwardsi of sixty-
three years they trod life's pathway together,
and were honored by the entire community as
having lived without a stain or reproach on their
names." They lived to see twelve of their chil-
dren, six sons and as many daughters, and more
than eighty grandchildren. A characteristic of
this family was its extreme longevity. Joel lived
to be more than eighty-seven years of age ; Eli,
more than eighty-three ; another son lived over
ninety years ; two daughters eighty-eight years
each ; one eighty-three, and the others, with
the exception of one who died' at the age of sev-
enty-three, lived upwards of seventy-five years.

John Walker (5), seventh child of Hezekiah
\\'alker, born May 20, 1787, in Holden, 2\Iassa-
chusetts, died August 18, 1866, at Cold Brook
Springs, in the same state. Until he arrived at
age he worked on the paternal farm, acquiring
such education as he could in the common schools



and by reading at home. At the age of twenty-
five he began preaching, and was for years the
only Baptist minister in Holden, Princeton,
West Boylston, Westminster and Leominster,
and in each of these places established flourish-
ing churches, and made converts by the hundred.
During his ministry he was the regularly ordained
pastor of churches in Holden, Princeton, West
Sutton, Barre and Cold Brook Springs, and
was occupying the pastoral rel.ilion at the last
named at the time of his deatn, November 29,
1813, he married Eunice MeVcalf, who died in
1870, aged eighty years, i'hey were the parents
of five sons and two daught-ers : A daughter who
died in infancy ; John, a florist c f Worcester,
[Massachusetts ; A. Judson, of Warren. JMassa-
chusetts, a Baptist minister, and 1 lie inventor of
a patent hydraulic elevator ; Will'ain S., also a
Baptist minister, of Newton, Massachusetts ;
Eunice M., of Cold Brook Sprinf,-£ ; Sylvia J.,
wife of Henry Wilder, a merchant and farmer
of Hubbardston, ]Massachuset<-s ; and Harvey D.
Harvey D. ^^'alker (6), son of the Rev. John
and Eunice (IMetcalf) Walker, was born in
Princeton, [Massachusetts, April 20, 1817. When
only ten years old he formed hii determination
to acquire a collegiate education at whatever
cost or sacrifice. Without er/-ouragement from
his father he pursued his object, studying dili-
gently at night after the labors of the dav were
ended, his only aids being sv.ch few and primi-
tive text-books as he could borrow. At the age
of sixteen, and a stripling wcigh'ng less than
ninety pounds, he taught his first t^'hool of more
than sixty pupils, half of whom were older than
he. He was so successful that, 'lie school fund
being exhausted, the parents of his pupils sub-
scribed further funds and extjndeil his school
term six weeks. He was thus employed for four
years, his father receiving his wages, and his va-
cation months being given to labor on the home
farm. When twenty years old his father gave
him his last year's time, and he set cut for him-
self without a dollar in money, his sole posses-
sions being a presentable suit of clothes and a
few books. In two years he had earned suf-
ficient money to enter Brown University (in
1839, he then being twenty-two years old), from
which he was graduated with honor in 1839, and
three years later his alma mater conferred upon
him the degree of master of arts. Immediately
after his graduation he accepted the principal-
ship of [Milbury ([Massachusetts) Academy,
where he' served for two years with great ac-
ceptability, fitting for colltge several who came
to careers of usefulness and distinction, among



Zl^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



them being Hon. H. C. Rice, governor of Alas-
sachusetts ; Hon. S. P. Bates, state historian of
Pennsylvania, and deputy state superintendent
of sciiools ; and Bishop Ivlallahen, of the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church. In November, 1845, 1^^'
took up his abode in Abiiigton Centre, Luzerne
county (now Waverly, Lackawanna county),
and December i following entered upon duty as
[.rincipal of Madison Academy, in which posi-
tion he rendered most useful and acceptable serv-
ice for a period of eight years, during that time
having among his pupils several who afterward
came to respectable positions at the Luzern-j
county bar — Garrick M. Harding, xA.lexander
Farnham, D. L. Patrick, George R. Bedford,
Jerome G. Miller, A. H. Winton, A. J. Smith,
G. Byron Nicholson, and others. In October.
1853, he became principal of the preparatory de-
partment of Lewisburg University, and in the
second year of his connection with that institu-
tion taught Latin in the collegiate course and
Greek in the theological course. In October,
1857, he removed to New Columbus, where he
reorganized the New Columbus Normal Insti-
tute on an academical basis, becoming its prin-
cipal. He so labored until December 30, 1861,
when he became principal of the Orangeville
(Columbia county) Academy and Normal Insti-
tute, and continued as such until September,
1869. At that time he became principal of the
Bloomsburg public schools, alid some months
later professor of rhetoric and higher mathe-
matics in the normal school at the same place.
In October, 1871, he returned to Waverly, and
reopened the Madison Academy as the Waverly
Normal School. He had taught the parent school
here eighteen years before, and he now had as
pupils some who were the children of his former
scholars. In April, 1880, he became principal of
the Huntington Mills Academy and Normal
School, and had a similar experience to t''>st men-
tioned in connection with his work at Waverly.

Rev. Harvey D. Walker married, April 2,
1844, Miss Electa B. Bates, of Bellingham, Mas-
sachusetts, daughter of Otis Bates, among whose
children were Lucius R. Bates, of Westboro,
Massachusetts, one of the largest straw goods
manufacturers in the country ; and Rebecca T.
Brown, widow of Rev. James Brown, who was
a chaplain in the United States army. To Rev.
and Mrs. Walker were born two sons and two
daughters.

Malcom Edwards Walker (2), son of Rev.
Harvey D. and Electa B. (Bates) Walker, was
born April 8, 1847, in Waverly, Luzerne (now
Lackawanna) county, Pennsylvania. His father



gave such care to his education, and he was so
apt a scholar that at the early age of fourteen
he became assistant to the parent m the Orange-
ville school, and so continued until 1865, when,
at the age of eighteen, he was appointed vice-
principal of the Orangeville Soldiers' Orphans'
School. This institution had but just opened
its doors, its inauguration being due to the ef-
forts of his father, who in the preceding year
had been induced by Governor Andrew G Curtin
and Hon. Thomas H. Burrows, state superin-
tendent of public instruction, to enter upon the
work of establishing these schools, and had been
commissioned principal of the one at Orange-
ville — the first of its class designated in tne
state, although, owing to untoward circum-
stances, the second to be opened. Young Walker
remained with this institution until i8o3, when
it was removed to another place. In the same
year he began a course of law reading under the
preceptorship of Samuel Knorr, of Bloomsburg,
at the same time (1869-1870) serving as clerk
for his tutor, who was assessor of internal rev-
enue, Mr. Walker was admitted to the Colum-
bia county bar December 6, 1870, and the next
day became a teacher in the Bloomsburg public
schools. April i, 1871, he was appointed dep-
uty postmaster, and served us such until the
fall, when he signed and opened a law office.
He was soon, however, called to a place in the
public schools, and which he occupied from Jan-
uary 2 to June I, 1872. November 25 follow-
ing he located in Shickshinny, where he has since
continually resided, opening an office and en-
tering upon the practice of his profession, hav-
ing been admitted to the bar of Luzerne county
January 6, 1873. April 8 of the same year he
established The Mountain Echo, and conducted
it with great ability until 1876, when he sold
the property to R. M. Tubbs. In September,
1873, h^ was solicited to accept the principalship'
of the West Ward schools. Professor Bates, of
the normal school, and other old teachers, were
applicants, and Mr. Walker remarked, "Give
me twenty-five dollars a month more than any
one else asks, and I will accept." Unthinking
that his profifer would be accepted, he made no
written application, as did the others who sought
the position, but was appointed, his salary being
fixed at seventy-five dollars, an advance of
twenty-five dollars, as he had idly suggested,
and the school term extended to eight months.
He at once procured a special meeting of the
school board and asked to be released, pleading
that his law practice and newspaper required
all his time. Bv unanimous vote his declination




&:iVjyUj^j^-^4^



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



373



was not entertained, the board proffering him
the privilege of temporarily leaving the school
when necessary in order to attend to his legal
business. To this he consented, and from Oc-
tober. 1873, to June. 1874, he passed the most
burdensome period of his life — teaching school,
giving his Saturdays to his legal business at
Shickshinny, attending court at Wilkes-Barre
at least one day during each sitting of the court,
and sending in his newspaper matter daily by
mail. Since 1876 he has confined himself ex-
clusivelv to his profession and to official duties
in connection therewith. His practice soon grew
to large dimensions and importance, and in its
conduct he is recognized as amply equipped. His
legal ability is best attested that, during many
vears in which he has served as justice of the
peace, out of fifteen hundred cases adjudicated
bv him. only six appeals were taken, in four
of which his judgment was affirmed, and not a
single certiorari to his records has ever been
taken. In 1875 he was burgess of the borough
of Shickshinny. A Republican in politics, he
was for several vears a member of the county
committee, and has frequently been a delegate
to countv and state conventions. A man of
great public spirit, he has constantly labored ac-
tively and intelligently in behalf of the best in-
terests of the communitv along all lines — ma-
terial, moral, intellectual and social. His per-
sonal character is unblemished, and he is un-
usually temperate in all respects, never having
even tasted spirituous or malt beverages, nor
using tobacco in any form.

Mr. Walker married. May 13. 1873. Terressa
A. Vannetta. of Bloomsburg, who was for ten
years prior to her marriage the principal of the
primary department of the Bloomsburg public
schools. Three children were born of this mar-
riage — Harvey Day, Warren Woodward, and
Harry Alalcom Walker.

RE\'EREXD THO:\IAS C. BACHE. One
of Xanticoke's most highly respected citizens is
the Rev. Thomas C. Bache. The parents of Mr.
Bache, John and Hannah Bache were natives of
England. Their family consisted of twelve chil-
dren, all of whom grew to maturity, and all of
whom with one exception remained in their na-
tive land. After the death of Mrs. Bache. in
1891. Mr. Bache came to Xanticoke to spend his
last days with his son, Thomas C. He survived
his wife four years, passing awav in 1895.

Thomas C. Bache, son of John and Hannah
Bache. was born in 1844, in England, and ir-



1867 emigrated to the L'nited States. Desiring
to enter the ministry of the Primitive Methodist
Church, he applied in 1871 to the conference,
then in session at Tamaqua, and was received as
a probationer. After serving four years as such
he was ordained at Shenandoah. Pennsylvania,
in 1875. In 1878 he returned to England to take
a course in the college at Dudley, where he re-
mained eighteen months. On his return to this
country he took up his ministerial work, to which
he devoted his entire time until 1890. During
this time he was instrumental in erecting
churches at Steubenville; Salineville and Shaw-
nee. Ohio, and was stationed at Plymouth,
Wilkes-Barre and Xanticoke, Pennsylvania.
During the years of his active ministry he filled
the various offices of the annual conference, was
elected president of that bodv, and was secretary
of the State Missionary Board. In 1880 Mr.
Bache settled in Xanticoke and engaged in mer-
cantile business, which he has since carried on
successfully and in which he is assisted by his
two sons. He is one of the directors of the
Xanticoke Xational Bank, and is actively inter-
ested in the improvement and progress of his
borough, having served three terms as president
of the council and nine years as president of the
board of health. He is now serving his second
term as treasurer of the borough. He is a mem-
ber of Xanticoke Lodge, X*o. 686, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. In politics he is a stanch
Republican.

Mr. Bache married in 1866, in England,
Eleanor Greenfield, and they have three children :
Benjamin A.. George, and Florence, who is the
wife of Thomas D. Williams, of N'ewcastle,
Pennsylvania. Both the sons are in business with
their father, and at the time of the Spanish-
American war George volunteered his services
and received a commission as first lieutenant of
the Xinth Regiment. He was honorably dis-
charged at the close of the war. and is now serv-
ing his fourth year as a member of the borough
council.

PIERSOX A. :\IECK, M. D. Among the
physicians of Xanticoke may be mentioned Pier-
son A. ]Meck. The paternal ancestors of Dr.
Meek were among the earliest settlers of Berks
county, and it was in honor of the family that
Meckville received its name. Charles A. Meek
was a patriot soldier of the Revolution, and his



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 77 of 130)