Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 79 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 79 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Toronto, conferred upon him the degree of
Bachelor of Music. He has taught music, both
instrumental and vocal, for six years, and has
served as organist in the Methodist Episcopal
and in the Calvary Baptist churches, in the for-
mer for ten and in the latter for six years. He
is especially gifted as a conductor, and in 1901
gave a very successful performance in Taylor of




.^^^x



jTy^^'"^^



THE WYOAIING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



379



Handel's "Jiitlas Maccabeus," with full orches-
tral accompaniment. He was assistant conductor
of the Scranton United Choral Society, which
won the great prize in Brooklyn under the lead-
ership of Professor Watkins. He is also an en-
thusiastic Eisteddfodwr, having acted as musical
judge at Scranton, \\'ilkes-Barre, Pittsburg and
other neighboring towns. November ii, 1903,
he acted as adjudicator at Rome, New York,
his critical duties being performed with a fair-
ness, precision and courtesy which gave the most
complete satisfaction to all concerned. In 1897
he was made musical critic and editor of the
Scranton Republican, and in 1900 the Honorable
J. A. Scranton, proprietor of the Republican,
having been elected treasurer of Lackawanna
county, appointed Professor Jones his deputy, an
office which he still holds. He is a member of
Acacia Lodge, Free and Accepted ^lasons, of
Taylor.

Professor Jones married in 1893. Caroline,

daughter of and Catherine Neiger, of

Taylor, and they are the parents of two children,
A'erna and Rhea.

DR. CHARLES B. ^lAYBERRY, the resi-
dent and practicing physician of the state depart-
ment for the insane at Retreat, Pennsylvania,
was born in IMassachusetts, in 1862, the son of
Dr. Edwin and Leonora (HalH !Mayberry, both
natives of Maine, and grandson of \\'illiam 'Sla.y-
berry, a native and resident of IMaine, who was
loyal both to state and government. Of his fam-
ily of three children all are deceased. Dr. ]\Iay-
berry's father, Dr. Edv.in 2^Iayberry, was a prac-
ticing physician in AVeymouth, !^Iassachusetts.
He married Leonora Hall, a daughter of James
and Hannah (Lowell) Hall. Mrs. ]\Iayberry's
mother, ]Mrs. Hall, was a Winslow of English
descent, whose family dates back to 1260. emi-
grating to this country about 1620. landing at
Plymouth, [Massachusetts. Dr. and IMrs. Edwin
]Mayberry have four children living, namely :
George L., an attorney at Waltham, practicing in
Boston; Edwin yi., a physician of Weymouth;
jNIrs. H. N. Allen, of Brookline, ^Massachusetts ;
and Dr. Charles B. ^layberry.

Charles B. [Mayberry acquired his early, intel-
lectual training in the common schools of his
native place, and subsequentlv attended Tufts
College, from which he was graduated in 1883
with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, one year
later receiving the degree of JMaster of Arts from
the same institution. He later entered Harvard
L^niversity, from which he was graduated in 1887



with the degree of Doctor of Aledicine. After a
special course in mental diseases for one year,
he was appointed assistant physician at Danville,
Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1899,
when he received the appointment of resident
physician of the State Department for the Insane
at Retreat, Pennsylvania, being the first physi-
cian to fill this responsible position in that insti-
tution. Here Dr. ]^Iayberry has charge of about
five hundred and thirtv patients, and having
made a special and minute study of all mental
diseases, no one is better qualified to do this
great work than he. In former times the care of
the insane was regarded as a great burden, and
was left principally to those who treated these
unfortunates more as prisoners than as persons
who should have the most tender ministration at
all times. The indigent insane were chietlv con-
fined in poor quarters in the county almhouses,
the larger institutions of the state being also
inadequately equipped. The increase of insanity
brought public attention to this important mat-
ter, and the influential men in every community
exerted their best efforts toward establishing dif-
ferent and better treatment for the people so
afflicted. The desired result was brought about.
State institutions were reconstructed, hospitals
were erected on modern plans, and the county
care act of 1897 provided for the care of indigent
persons of unsound mind in local institutions
under the most favorable conditions. Some of
the county hospitals for the insane are in every
respect equal to larger institutions, and this
is notably true of the famous Luzerne
county institution with which Dr. ^layber-
rv is identified. This hospital is provided
with all conveniences and appointments to
make the lot of its patients as bearable as possi-
ble. It is well governed, in good sanitarv condi-
tion, and in every feature of its management
challenges the admiration of the friends of
humanitv. Its picturesque location with its beau-
tiful mountain background and fronting on the
Susquehanna river makes it an ideal retreat for
the restoration of disordered minds and weak-
ened nerves, and here helpless patients may be
patiently and tenderly cared for. All the com-
mendable features of other and larger institu-
tions characterize the Luzerne county hospital,
and Dr. Charles B. INIayberry is the man whose
thoughts and eye guide this institution and make
life more enjoyable for the unfortunate inmates.
His professional career has been from the outset
eminentlv successful. He is a member of the
]\Iontour ]\Iedical Societv, the State Medical So.-



-,8o



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



ciety, the American Psycological Association
and the American Academy of Medicine.

Dr. Mayberrv married in 1899, Susan E.
Stevens, the daughter of George and jMary
(Ever) Stevens, born in Towanda, Pennsylva-
nia. Her great-grandfather, Asa Stevens, par-
ticipated in the great Wyoming massacre. Her
grandfather, Simon Stevens, married a JMiss
Homet, and among their children was George,
her father. On her mother's side Mrs. Mayberry
is descended from Michael Billinger, who fought
in the war of the Revolution. The Billingers are
of Irish extraction, emigrating to this country in
the early days, coming over in the ship Mary and
Ann. Alichael Billinger's granddaughter, Char-
lotte Havemeyer, became the wife of William
J. Eyre. Mrs. Mayberry is a member of the
Daughters of the American Revolution, George
Clymer, Chapter of Towanda. Dr. and Mrs.
Mayberry have one child, Allen S., born April
26, 1900.

WILLIAM KEINER, justice of the peace
at Beach Haven, and one of the most highly re-
spected citizens of his town, where he has re-
sided and transacted business since 1871, is a
native of Nescopeck township, born February
16, 1843, ^ SO" of Jacob and Elizabeth (Smith)
Keiner, a grandson of Samuel Keiner, whose
wife was a Miss Unger, a native of Lehigh coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, as was also her husband, and
great-grandson of a Mr. Keiner, a native of Ger-
many, whose wife was a native of France. They
were very early settlers in the Lehigh \'alley, and
most worthv people, contributing in large meas-
ure to the growth and development of the com-
munity in which they resided.

Jacob Keiner (father) was one of three sons,
the others being Samuel and Reuben. He was
born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1803.
In 1889 he moved into the Wyoming \'alley,
making Dorrance township his residence. He
was a miller by trade, and to this occupation he
devoted all his attention throughout the active
vears of his business career. His wife, whose
maiden name was Elizabeth Smith, was "born in
Lehigh county, in 1807, and she bore him a fam-
ilv of ten children: Caroline, deceased; Daniel,
David, Joseph, William, Jacob, deceased : Eliza-
beth, deceased; Esther; Peter, deceased; and
Amanda, deceased. Jacob Keiner ( father) died
in 1875. His widow survived him many years,
passing: away in 1891.

William Keiner was reared and educated in
his native township, and followed agricultural



pursuits up to August 22, 1862, when he enlisted
in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-seventh
Regiment, Pennsylvania \'olunteer Infantry, and
during his participation in that terrible conflict
displayed both valor and patriotism. He took an
active part in the follov^'ing battles : Chancellors-
ville. May 3, 1863, in which he received a bullet
wound in the left side ; Wauhatchie, Lookout
Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Rockv Face Ridge,
Resaca, Cassville, New Hope Church, Pine
Knob, Gulps Farm. Kenesaw IMountain, Peach
Tree Creek, Siege of Atlanta, and Genera! Sher-
man's march to the sea. He was discharged
June 6, 1865, at the close of the war.

Upon his return to civil life l\Ir. Keiner
learned the trade of sihoemaker, at which he
worked more or less from 1865 to 1881, a period
of sixteen years. In the latter year he embarked
in the mercantile btisiness, in which he succeeded
in a wonderful degree, and which he continued
up to igo2 when he sold out to his son. Forest
M.- Keiner. Although having few educational
advantages Mr. Keiner has educated himself suf-
ficiently to transact legal business, and in his
capacity of justice of the peace serves with dis-
tinction, using superior wisdom in the disposal
of his cases. He held the office of postmaster
under the administrations of presidents Harrison
and McKinley, and in 1881 served as township
supervisor. He is an ardent supporter of Re-
publican principles. He is a member of Captain
Jackson Post, No. 159, Grand Army of the Re-
public, of Berwick ; of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows ; United American [Mechanics ; and
Knapp Lodge, No. 264, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, of Berwick.

Mr. Keiner married, April 27, 1866. Rebecca
A. Weiss, daughter of John and Elizabeth
Weiss, of Hollenback township ; and their chil-
dren are ; Harvey I., married Addie Sheiner ;
John F.. married Lizzie Miller ; Forest M., mar-
ried Florence Callinder. and they have one
daughter, Edna ; ; Emma M. ; Sterling, married
Blanche Campbell — one son, Claude W. ; and
Paul Keiner. Mr. Keiner and family are mem-
bers of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in
which he is president of the board of trustees.

CHARLES D. EVANS. Among the well
known and prosperous business men of Duryea
must be numbered Charles D. Evans. He is a
son of William D. and Margaret (Price) Evans,
natives of Wales, the former named born in 1833.
and the latter in 1836. and in 1858 they emigrated
to the United States, settling in Pittston, Luzerne



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



381



county, Penns_\-lvania, and had children : Wil-
ham, deceased ; Jenette ; Rachel, deceased ;
David ; Charles D., mentioned at length herein-
after ; Annie ; Lizzie, deceased ; Watkin, de-
ceased ; Mary ; John ; JMattie and Georgia. Wil-
liam D. Evans, the father, died in 1883, and is
survived by his widow, who lives in Duryea.
Mrs. Evans has always been a Christian woman,
has always taken active part in the various
churches in which she has been a member, and is
known in the communities in which she has
lived as of sterling character, a good wife, a
faithful, kind and loving mother, and is also
known by her many acts of kindness to the sick
and to the distressed, and bv her many acts of
charity to the poor.

Charles D. Evans, son of William D. and
Margaret (Price) Evans, born April i, 1864, i"
Plymouth, Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, was
an infant when his parents removed to Olyphant.
Later the_\' took up their abode in Edwardsville,
and in both places he attended the common
schools. At an early age he began to work in
the mines, advancing step by step from the posi-
tion of door-boy to that of miner. In 1878 his
parents settled in Duryea, and for about three
years thereafter he was in the service of the Del-
aware, Lackawanna & Western Coal Company.
For about one year he was teamster in the em-
ploy of Clark & Foster, but at the end of that
time returned to the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western Company as fireman. In this position
he continued for three years, and then went west,
settling in Denver, Colorado, and later residing
at Idaho Springs. While in Denver he was in
the service of the Rio Grande railroad, and dur-
ing the time spent at Idaho Springs worked for
the Yugal Silver Mine Company. At the end of
a year, animated by a desire to supply the defi-
ciencies of his limited education, he returned tq
Pennsylvania, entered the business college at
Wilkes-Barre, and in February, 1888, graduated
from that institution. In 1889 ^e accepted a
position at Centerville, Montana, with Lexington
Mine & Milling Company as fireman, subsequent-
ly moving to Butte City, and was employed as
stationary engineer for the Parrot Aline and
Smelting Company. In March, 1894, he returned
to Duryea, and has since been successfully en-
gaged in the general merchandise business. He is
a useful citizen, and has filled various borough
offices, among them that of secretary of the first
borough council, school director, register, asses-
sor, and justice of the peace. He was elected
president of the fourteenth annual meeting of the



School Directors' Association of Luzerne Coun-
ty, Januarx-, 1904, and for one year was elected
delegate to attend the state convention, January,
1905, at tne ntteenth annual directors' conven-
tion. Air. iivans is known by his progressiveness
and his sterling character, and has always been a
leader in all reform political movements in the
community. He is also known for his conscien-
tious effort in bettering the affairs of the bor-
ough. He has taken a great interest in the pub-
lic schools, and has advocated and passed a great
number of local measures that have given good
results in the public schools of the district. He
is a member of Slocum Council, No. 271, Junior
Order of United American Alechanics, of Pitts-
ton ; the Patriotic Order Sons of America, No.
174, of Aloosic ; Lackawanna Castle, No. 115,
Ancient Order Knights of the Mystic Chain, of
Aloosic ; and Acacia Lodge, No. 579, Free and
Accepted Alasons, of Taylor. Politically he is a
Republican. Air. Evans married, February 22,
1893, in Butte City, Alontana, Carrie L., daugh-
ter of Shepherd and Sophronia Crandlemere, na-
tives of New Brunswick, Canada. Mr. and Mrs.
Evans have had four children : Gladys ; Charles,
deceased ; Willie, and Hubert.

CHARLES C. BOWAIAN, who ranks
among the prosperous and enterprising citizens
of Pittston, Pennsylvania, where he is actively
identified with the coal business, is a son of
Charles and Emilia S. (Beebe) Bowman, a lineal
descendant of Nathaniel Bowman, one of the
early proprietors of Watertown, Alassachusetts
(1630J, through Jonas Bowman, of Bedford,
Alassachusetts, June 17, 1739, he owned the
covenant. See "History of the Town of Lexing-
ton, Aliddlesex County, Alassachusetts," by
Charles Hudson.

Charles Bowman (father) was born in Roy-
alton, Vermont, was reared and educated there,
and in early manhood came to Troy, New York,
where he constructed and acted as superintendent
of the water works of that city. Later he en-
gaged in mercantile pursuits, continuing the
same up to his decease. He married Emilia
Strong Beebe, born in Randolph, Vermont, 1818,
daughter of Calvin Beebe, of Beebe Plain, prov-
ince of Quebec. He was one of the early pro-
prietors. This family came from England to
Connecticut in 1650, and are ccnnected by mar-
riage with many old New England families.

Charles C. Bowman acquired his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Troy, New York ;
Waterford, New York ; and the Lansingburg



382



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



Academy, after which he entered Union College,
from which institution he was graduated as a
civil engineer in 1875. He began his practical
career as civil engineer for the state of ]\Iassa-
chusetts, principally as assistant in the location
and construction of the State Insane Asylum at
Danvers, [Massachusetts. In the spring of 1876
he came to Pittston, Pennsylvania, entering the
employment of the Pennsylvania Coal Company,
continuing in their employ until 1883. He then
purchased an interest in the firm of C. P. }ilat-
thews & Co., operating the Florence Colliery,
Pittston township, Pennsylvania, and was man-
ager of the operation. Since then he has been
interested in a number of coUeries, namely : The
Avoca Coal Company, of which he is president ;
the Franklin Colliery, of which he is secretary
and treasurer ; the ,Raub Coal Company, of Lu-
zerne, Pennsylvania, and to a lesser degree in
some others. The confidence and esteem reposed
in him by his fellow-citizens is evidenced by the
feet that he has served as mayor of the city 01
Pittston, and as councilman of the same city
shortly after its incorpjration up to the present
time. He is a trustee of the Hospital Associa-
tion, and was one of the principal factors in the
raising of funds for the relief of the dependent
relatives of the victims of the "Twin Shaft Dis-
aster,"' being a member of the committee selected
to distribute this fund. He is a past master of
Vallev Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Pittston, and a member of Pittston Chapter,
Royal Arch Masons.

In 1880 ]Mr. Bowman was united in marriage
to Elizabeth Law, daughter of the late William
and Catherine (Bryden) Law, of Pittston. The
children of Mr. and Mrs. Bowman art: William
Law, graduated from Cornell University, now
(1906) at Harvard Law School, class 1907;
Elizabeth, a student in the class of 1907. at Vas-
sar College; Emilia Strong, died February 21,
1892; Charles Harkness, Calvin Law, and Law
A\'arburton.

DR. HARRY E. JONES, Shickdiinny,
Pennsylvania, was born in Olvphant, Pennsylva-
nia, July 18, 1874, the son of Grififith and Ann
'(Edwards) Jones, both natives of Wales. Dr.
Jones' paternal grandfather was Harry Jones, a
native of Wales, who emigrated to the United
States in the early forties. He was a miner, but
subsequently removed to Iowa, where he became
a prosperous farmer. He was the father of eioht
children, five of whom are living: ^^'illiam H..
Griffith, Henry W., IMargaret and Jane. Griflith



Jones, second son of Harry Jones, and father of
Dr. Harrv E. Jones, emigrated to this country
with his parents and located at Olyphant, Penn-
sylvania, where he followed his trade of general
blacksmith for a number of years. His wife was
Ann Edwards, and their children were : ]\Iar-
garet, Herbert, Harry E., John. Harry E. and
his father are the only living members of the
family. Dr. Jones' maternal grandfather. John
Edwards, was also a native of ^^'ales. He emi-
grated to this country and settled at Carbondale,
later removing to Olyphant, where he engaged in
mining. He married and had the following chil-
dren : William R., John C, Herbert, Thomas
and Ann.

Harrv E. Jones, the son of Griffith and Ann
(Edwards) Jones, was reared and received his
education in his native town. Early in life he
learned the printer's trade, which he followed for
four years in Olyphant. He then decided to fol-
low the medical profession, and all his plans were
formulated with that end in -view. He entered
Philips ( Exeter) Academy, from which he was
graduated in 1898, and four years later, 1902,
was graduated from the i\Iedico Chirurgical Col-
lege of Philadelphia, and was class historian.
The same ^•ear he commenced the practice of
medicine at Glen Side, a suburb of Philadelphia,
and subsequentlv located in Shickshinny, in 3ilay(
1904. His work in the medical profession has
been highly successful, and although a resident
of Shickshinny but a short time he has been ac-
corded a more extensive practice than usually
falls to the lot of a young physician.

Dr. Jones is much interested in athletics of
all kinds, and during the period he spent in Exe-
ter Academv became an expert athlete. He was
captain of the track team, whose feats consisted
of running and leaping, and was captain of the
first track team to defeat the Andover team. For
three years he was shortstop for the college base-
Ijall team, and manager of the football team of
that institution which defeated the football play-
ers of Andover Academy. Dr. Jones holds the
following record for running : A twenty yard
dash in 2 3-5 seconds ; forty yard dash in 4 3-5
seconds; a one hundred yard dash in 10 1-5 sec-
onds; and a three hundred yard dash in 33 2-5
seconds. During the two years he played on the
college footljall team, the Philadelphia men never
lost a game. Dr. Jones was the assistant mana-
ger of the Literary Monthly Magaainc ; and is
now a member of the Pennsylvania State Club
(both at Exeter) ; the James ^I. Andrews Medi-
cal Society, of which he is ex-president ; a mem-



THE WY0:MIXG AXD LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



381



ber of the La Place Surgical Society : the Hane-
land Obstetrical Society ; and Kingsbury Lodge,
No. 466, Free and Accepted Masons, of Oly-
phant.

ALONZO LOCKARD, one of the leading
business men of Shickshinny, Pennsylvania, was
born in Huntington township, Pennsylvania, De-
cember 20, 1840, the son of Hugh '\[. and Eliza-
beth (Kostenbauder) Lockard. His father, Hugh
M. Lockard, was born in Columbia county,
Pennsylvania, 1801. He was a shoemaker by
trade and an excellent workman. He married
]\liss Elizabeth Kostenbauder, of German de-
scent, born in Pennsylvania, and the following
eight children were born : Israel, deceased ; Al-
fred A., deceased : Daniel K., of Shamokin ;
]\Iary, deceased; Alonzo ; Francis AL. in Ne-
braska : Celestia A., deceased : and Nancy
Permilla.

Alonzo, Lockard, fourth son and fifth child
of Hugh AL Lockard, was educated in the com-
mon schools of his native place, and December
10, i860, went to Berwick to learn his trade.
Before completing his trade, the Civil war was
declared, and in 1861 he enlisted in Company
C, Sixteenth Regiment, \'oIunteer Infantry, the
first company sworn in in Pennsylvania for three
years' service. He served three months and was
honorably discharged by order of the war de-
partment with his regiment. The same year he
re-enlisted in the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania
Regiment and served till 1864, when he re-
enlisted in the Third Pennsylvania Artillerv. re-
maining there till November, 1865, having been
promoted to corporal. His command was as-
signed to the Army of the Potomac, and he par-
ticipated in all the leading battles of that division
of the army. His service was meritorious, and
in November, 1865, he was honorably dis-
charged.. He stood guard over Jeff Davis the
first hour he was locked up.

On his return to civil life ]\Ir. Lockard re-
sumed his trade, completed his apprenticeship,
and became an expert journeyman. He worked
for a number of years in \^'ilkes-Barre, Penn-
sylvania, and in 1 88 1 removed to Berwick,
where he conducted business for twelve years
for himself. In 1893 he removed to Schuylkill
county, and a year later came to Shickshinny,
where he has since resided. He established him-
self in business, in the manufacture of harnesses.
His is one of the most reliable harness houses
in that section of the country, and his store is
stocked with the latest and most modern line



of horse furnishings on the market. His busi-
ness has ever been a successful and highly prof-
itable one, due in the greater part to his com-
mendable business methods. Mr. Lockard was
chief burgess of the borough of Shickshinny
from 1901 to 1903. He is a member of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows and the
Knights of [Malta, and has passed all the chairs.
December 17, 1868, Air. Lockard was united
in marriage to Aliss Alary F. Gibbons, of Salem
township, Pennsylvania. Two children were
born to them. Emma and Blanch, but both are
now deceased.

HERBERT G. LLOYD. One of the men
who have helped in a literal sense to build up
the city of their abode is Herbert G. Lloyd, of
Scranton. Air. Lloyd is a son of George and
Alary (Davis) Lloyd, both natives of Wales.
The former was a contractor and builder in his
own countrv and frequently traveled extensively
in the Lnited States, but never took up his resi-
dence here. He and his wife were the parents
of four children, among them Herbert G., men-
tioned at length hereinafter, the only one of the
family who emigrated. Another son, George
H., is a well-known contractor and stonecutter
in his native country, and a daughter Jennie E.
enjoys an enviable reputation as a poetess, as
royal poetess to King Edward and formerlv to
Queen Victoria, a position \\-hich she has occu-
pied many years.

Herbert G. Lloyd, son of George and Alary
(Davis) Lloyd, was born September 20, 1854,
in AA'ales, and received his education in his na-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 79 of 130)