Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 83 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 83 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Pittston, to Wyoming Commandery, No. 57, and

to Irem Temple, of Wilkes-Barre. Politically he
is a stanch Republican. He is an active member
and a liberal supporter of the Methodist Episco-
pal Church, and is connected with the official
board. ]\Ir. Holloster married, in 1875, Ella
Beamer, and they are the parents of two chil-
dren: Claire B., born in 1877; and Glenn W.,
born in 1885, a clerk in his father's store. Both
are graduates of Wyoming Seminary, the former
in 1898, and the latter in 1904, and Claire B. is
vice-president of the Lippincott Indicator In-
struction Company, also vice-president of the
Lippincott Specialty and Supply Company.

THOMAS R. WILLIAMS, of Glenlyon, one
of the oldest and most trustworthy assistant su-
perintendents for the Susquehanna Coal Com-
pany, in whose employ he has been since 1869, a
period of thirty-six years, was born in South
Wales, 1845, 3- son of Reese and Jennie (Jones)
Williams, both natives of Wales, in which coun-
try they lived their entire lives and where they
are laid to rest. They had six children : Thomas
R., John, Reese, William, Mary and Jane,
Thomas R. being the only one to emigrate to the
United States.

After completing a common school education
Thomas R. Williams turned his attention to min-
ing, and bv coming in touch with men of experi-
ence became well versed in the art of coal mining.
In 1868 he embarked for the United States, and
directly after his arrival took up his residence in
Scranton, Pennsylvania, where for a short time
he was in the employ of the Delaware, Lacka-
wanna and Western Company. The following
year he entered the service of the Susquehanna
Coal Company, beginning as a miner and con-
tinuing the same up to 1873, at which time he
was promoted to mine foreman. He filled this
position for about one and a half years, and at
the expiration of this period of time was pro-
moted to the office of assistant superintendent of
the company's works at Nanticoke. Desiring to
be relieved from this he apphed to Superintend-
ent George T. ]\Iorgan, who gave him the choice
of any of the collieries of the company under his
jurisprudence. Mr. Williams chose No. 2 slope.
where he remained ten years, during which time
he had under his supervision four hundred men
and boys. In 1885, when the Glenlyon colliery
was put in operation, he was chosen to place it
on a paying basis, and during his sixteen years
connection with the same had under his super-
visipn six hundred men and boys. In 1901, when
the company put in operation the Stearns colliery,




h.e was transferred to that in order to place it also
on a paying footing'. His mining experience
covers a period of forty-six }ears.

Mr. Williams served on the borough council
one \ear, and also held the office of school direc-
tor of Xanticoke for five years, two years of_
which time he was treasurer of the board. Dur-
ing his residence in Xanticoke he was a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he
was steward for many rears, also treasurer, and
a teacher in the Sunday school. He now holds
membership in a church of the same denomina-
tion in Glenlyon, of which body he has served as
treasurer. He is a liberal contributor to the
church, which is evidenced by the declaration
from good authority that he and his family have
donated three thousand dollars toward the sup-
port and maintenance of the same. Mr. Williams
is a stanch Republican and a firm believer in
high tariff. He is a member of Nanticoke Lodge,
No. 541, Free and Accepted ]\Iasons. He is the
owner of considerable property in Glenlyon.
Pennsylvania, and has extensive real estate hold-
ings in the state of Oregon. He is a stockholder
in the First National Bank of Nanticoke.

In 1870 l\Ir. Williams married Mary Ann
Jones, of Beaver Meadows, Pennsylvania, daugh-
ter of Daniel and Mary Jones, who came to this
country in 1819, and a descendant of ancestors
who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, about
two hundred years ago. Daniel and Mary Jones,
whose marriage occurred in the United States,
had four children : Margaret, Mary A., Daniel
D., a veteran of the Civil war, and now (1905)
one of the leading undertakers of Scranton ; and
David Jones. One child was born to Mr. and
Mrs. Williams, Jennie, wife of K. L. Fisher, of
Glenlyon, Pennsylvania, and they have four chil-
dren : Lillian, \'iola, Edison, and Frederick

FRANK W. FILER. In the ranks of the
electricians of Lackawanna county none occupies
a more honorable place than Frank W. Filer, of
Dunmore. He is of English parentage. His
father was one of the pioneer miners of the Lack-
awanna Valley, and one of the number to whom
the county is chiefly indebted for the develop-
ment of the anthracite coal industry.

George Filer, son of George and Anna Filer,
was born August 5, 1821, in Somersetshire, Eng-
land. He was one of a family of ten children,
and in early youth was thrown on his own re-
sources in consequence of the death of his father.
His occupation was that of a miner, and in 1841
he emigrated to the United States and settled in

Pennsylvania, drawn thithtr no doubt by the pos-
sibilities which that region holds for men of his
calling. After working for one year in Schuyl-
kill county he moved to Tuscarora, where he was
employed in the mines of the Reading Company.
In 1849 he settled at Scranton, where he entered
the service of the Pennsylvania Coal Company,
then the largest coal operators in the valley. His
duties were sinking shafts and driving tunnels
and he also assisted in the general development
of the mines. In 1854 he left the Pennsylvania
Coal Company in order to develop some mines of
his own, having leased some property of S. Spen-
cer and others, and in this undertaking he suc-
ceeded beyond his most sanguine expectations.
In 1862 he became associated with J. R. Davis
and J. F. Hunt in the development of the Roar-
ing Brook mine. The partnership continued
until 1867,, when he sold his interest in the mine,
and undertook the operation of the Oak Hill col-
liery, in Green Ridge, where he remained for five
years. In 1870 he sunk a shaft on Carbon Hill
which was sold in July, 1872, to the Erie Com-
pany, and in 1871 superintended the building of
the Spring Brook colliery. In 1873 he opened
in Blakely township, about eight miles from
Scranton, one of the largest collieries then in the
Lackawanna Valley, and known as the \\'inton
colliery. In connection with this he opened the
Filer mine, and from these two mines he and
partner, Thomas Levey, had contracts to deliver
three hundred thousand tons of coal per annum.
As a prospector, projector and developer of coal
land it is doubtful if Mr. Filer had his equal in
Pennsylvania. On these subjects he was re-
garded as an authority and his advice was sought
b}- many. He frequently took mines that had
been abandoned, re-opened them and made them
profitable. For the marvellously long period of
sixty-nine years he was actively engaged in min-
ing. The last year of his life was spent at
Greggsville, New York, where he was devel-
oping a salt mine. His political affiliations were
with the Republicans. He was a member of no
church, but was in sympathy and fellowship with
all whose lives were in accordance with the prin-
ciples of Christianity.

;\Ir. Filer married, in 1844, ^Martha Ashley, a
native of England, and of the fourteen children
born to them the following are now living: I.
]\Iary A., married J. T. Taylor, and has four chil-
dren : Kate L., George F., Henry D. and Edith
M. 2. Elizabeth, married W. I. McCormick,
and is the mother of three sons : Howard, George
and Francis. 3. Emma D., married J. Coleman,
and also has three sons : Eugene, George and



James. 4. IMartha, married Frank Butterfield,
and has five children : Thomas, Edward, P'rank,
George and Martha. 5. F"rank W., mentioned
hereafter. 6. Fannie, wife of F. D. Chambers,
and mother of two children : Ella and Daisy.
The death of Mr. Filer, which occurred April
28, 1898, was felt to be a great loss by all who
were in any way connected with him. His abili-
ties and above all his character commanded the
respect of all. His widow, who is in feeble
health, resides on the old homestead.

Frank W. Filer, son of George and Martha
(Ashley) Filer, was born in 1871, in Dunmore.
In early 30uth he learned the carpenter's trade,
which he followed steadily and with a fair meas-
ure of success for twelve years. At the end of
that time he abandoned it in order to devote him-
self to electricity, of which he had made a thor-
ough and exhaustive study. He is now in the
service of the Ellis Chalmers Company as an ex-
perienced electrician. He is a good citizen and
possesses the esteem of all who know him. Mr.
Filer married, in October, 1898, Agnes Drake,
and they are the parents of three children :
George A., Charles W. and Helen ?\I. Filer.

CONRAD NAGLE, bos carpenter for the
■Susc^uehanna Coal Company, at Nanticoke, m
whose service he has been for the long period of
thirty-five years, twenty-one of which he has held
his present position, being an expert mechanic
and having the entire confidence of the manage-
ment, was born near the river Rhine, Germany,
October i, 1851, a son of George J. and Catherine
(Thomas) Nagle, both natives of Germany, par-
ents of six children : Conrad, Jacob, deceased ;
Nicholas, Mary, wife of the Rev. Lewis Ulmea ;
Godfried, and Barbara, wife of Frederick Ack-
erle. George J. Nagle (father) died in his native
land. Conrad was the first of this family to emi-
grate to the United States ; he was followed, at
intervals, by his brothers — Nicholas and Jacob —
and sister Mary ; and in 1892 his widowed
mother, Godfrey, Barbara, and a daughter of his
sister Mary emigrated, coming directlv to Nanti-
coke, Pennsylvania.

Conrad Nagle was tenderly reared by his par-
ents and well educated in the schools of his native
country. His father, being a man of considerable
means and a carpenter who followed contracting
and building in his own name, gave him many
advantages other young men were deprived of.
He learned the trade of carpenter with his father,
who taught him all its secrets as he knew them.
In 1870 he emigrated from his native country to
seek a new home and new associations. He came

to Mahanoy City, Schuylkill county, Pennsylva-
nia, but after a brief residence there removed to
Wilkes-Barre, May 4, 1870, and for six months
thereafter was employed by Christian Duval, a
contractor. He then entered the employ of the
Wilkes-Barre Coal and Iron Company, with
whom he remained up to 1872, when he removed
to Nanticoke and he has been a worthy and re-
spected citizen of that borough ever since. In
the latter named year he became an employee in
the car repair shop of the Susquehanna Coal
Company, later was promoted to the building of
new cars, and in 1884 was appointed to his pres-
ent position, boss carpenter. His work is to
erect breakers and washeries for repair work,
and he has the entire control of a gang of men,
thirty-six in number. He is a man of excellent
executive ability, keen discrimination and sound
judgment, capable of wisely controlling men. He
is a worthy member of Nanticoke Lodge, No.
541, Free and Accepted Masons.

Mr. Nagle was married (first) to Miss Mary
Retzaff, July 9, 1874, and (second) to Miss Mary
Drobka, June 7, 1902. His first wife, who died
October 3, 1901, bore him ten children, eight of
whom are living, namely : William, Mary, Con-
rad, A'linnie, Edward, Eva, Herbert and Freda.
His second wife bore him two children : Theo-
dore and Theophilus.

R. A. REED, outside foreman for the Lehigh
and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company, at Wananiie,
who gained the necessary knowledge to fit him
for his responsible position in the high school of
e.xperience, the only real institution which thor-
oughly qualifies men for the various activities of
life, is one of the progressive and public-spirited
men of that borough. His parents, Abraham and
Sarah (Wallard) Reed, are residents of Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania, and their family consists of
three children : Harriet, Annie and R. A. Reed.
Abraham Reed (father) was superintendent for
the Hillside Iron and Coal Company for thirteen
years, and at the present time (1905) is master
mechanic for the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal
Company, which position he has held four years.

R. A. Reed was born in Scranton, Pennsylva-
nia, January 18, 1867. He was reared in that
vicinity and educated in the public schools of
Lackawanna county. He gained his first experi-
ence in business life in the employ of the Lacka-
wanna Iron and Coal Company as too! boy, and
later was promoted to the position of locomotive
engineer. He then became connected with the
Hillside Coal and Iron Company, in whose em-
ploy he remained several years, after which he



accepted a position as fireman on the New York,
Lake Erie and Western Railroad, from which he
was transferred to that of engineer. During his
seven vears' connection with this company he
gained an experience which broadened and wid-
ened his mind and paved the way to something
better. In 1890 he turned his attention to the
production of coal^ which he has followed up to
the present time (1905), a period of fifteen years,
six of which has been in the employ of the Le-
high and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. In his
present position of outside foreman he has under
his control three hundred men, whose interests
he carefully looks after, as well as those of the
company he represents. As a mark of the con-
fidence reposed in him by his fellow citizens Mr.
Reed was elected to the office of township com-
missioner, and is now serving his second term.
He is a Republican in politics. Socially he is a
member of Coalville Lodge, No. 474, Free and
Accepted Masons ; Wanamie Lodge, No. 867, In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows ; the Junior
Order of United American Mechanics ; and the
Order of Eagles.

In 1892 Mr. Reed married Lizzie Ripple, of
Hazleton, Pennsylvania. Two children were
born to them ; Helen, deceased ; and Howard

for the Susquehanna Coal Company at North
shaft No. I, where for twelve years he has held
the throttle while lowering and hoisting men into
and out of the mines, is a native of Gloucester-
shire, England, born May 16, 1871. Perhaps no
position is more exacting or trying to the nerves
than that of the shaft engineer. One moment or
even a fraction thereof of inattention on the part
of the engineer may mean loss of life, property,
or both, therefore the men of steady nerves and
clear brain are selected for this position, in whom
not only the company, but the miners, have im-
plicit confidence.

Isaiah Morgan, father of George M. Morgan,
was born in Gloucestershire, England, May 22,
1833. He was reared, educated and married in
his native land, and in 1888, accompanied by a
married daughter whose husband was in the
United States, emigrated to this country, arriv-
ing, in September of that year. The following
spring his wife and the remainder of the children
followed him to their new home. He located in
Nanticoke. Pennsylvania, where he secured a
position as engineer (that being the line of work
he followed in his native country) with the Sus-
quehanna Coal Company, they giving him a fan


engine. After dissolving his connection with this
company, he became the proprietor of a hotel,
from which he realized a fair income. He was a
member of the Foresters of America, and the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows. By his mar-
riage to Mary A. Morgan, who was born in
Gloucestershire, England, May 22, 1839, the fol-
lowing named children were born: Emily, who
became the wife of W. S. Powell ; Margaret, who
became the wife of Thomas Wright ; .Hannah,
who became the wife of Thomas Baugh ; Isaiah,
deceased ; William M., deceased, who for ten
years served as foreman for the Susquehanna
Coal Company; James M.; Thomas M.; George
M., mentioned hereafter; Harry M., whose per-
sonal sketch follows this: Joseph I. M., who
worked his way up from breaker boy to his pres-
ent position of master mechanic ; Elizabeth, who
became the' wife of Albert H. Cliflord ; and John.
Isaiah Morgan, father of these children, died
August 29, 1892. His widow is living at the
present time ( 1905 ) .

George M. Morgan emigrated from his native
country, England, in 1889, at the age of seven-
teen years, in the meantime having acquired a
common school education. His first settlement
was in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, where he has
since remained. He became an employe of the
Susquehanna Coal Company ; his first work was
firing, from that position he was given an engine
at a slope, and from that he was promoted to his
present position, shaft engineer. His honorable
and straightforward actions in everyday life have
won for him the full confidence of the company
by whom he is employed, as well as the respect
of his fellow citizens. Mr. Morgan has been a
member of the Nanticoke Hose Company for six-
teen years, has filled every position in the same
and is now treasurer, which office he has held for
eight vears. Air. Morgan is a member of Nanti-
coke Lodge, No. 541, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; the Consistory of S. P. R. S., 32nd degree,
of Bloomsburg ; Irem Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.,
of Wilkes-Barre ; Valley Chapter, No. 214, Ply-
mouth ; Dieu Le Veut Commandery, No. 45,
Knight Templars ; the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows ; the Grand Lodge of the latter
named Order of Pennsylvania, of which he was
a representative at Philadelphia in 1895, and at
Pittsburg in 1896; Knights of Malta; and the
Order of Engineers of Wilkes-Barre. Mr. Mor-
gan is unmarried. He is an Episcopalian in re-
ligion, and a Republican in politics.

EVAN M. MUIR, cashier of the Nanticoke
National Bank, to which responsible position he



was chosen in September, 1904, is well qualified
for ofifice, having been actively connected with
banks and banking in various capacities for a
number of years. Banking today is one of the
great financial enterprises of this country and of
this age. It is a business more than any other
that requires a watchful eye on the money mar-
ket, a thoughtful and careful attention paid to its
fluctuations, as well as an oversight of the finan-
cial field in general, and the selection of trust-
worthy and competent financiers to represent the
stockholders and make the best use of the funds
entrusted to their care.

Thomas Muir, father of Evan M. Muir, was
born in the Highlands of Scotland, and possessed
those sturdy and virtue-loving qualifications that
are found inherent in almost every native of that
country, which characteristics they transmit to
their children. After his emigration to the
United States he located in Pennsylvania, about
1848, taking up his residence in Barclay, Brad-
ford county, where he served as superintendent
of the coal mines. Later he moved to Towanda,
same county, where he engaged in the mercantile
business, conducting the same for seven years. His
wife, whose maiden name was Martha Meredith,
was of Welsh parentage and her death occurred
shortly after the birth of her youngest child.
Their family consisted of three children : James
E., of Towanda ; [Margaret, married Herbert I.
Graves, of Towanda, now retired, and resides in
Schenectady, New York ; and Evan M. Muir.

Evan M. Muir was born in Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, in 1866. He was reared and edu-
cated in Towanda, the county seat of Bradford
■county. He engaged in the grocery business in
partnership with his father in 1888, and contin-
ued up to 1890, in which year he became messen-
ger for the Citizens' National Bank of Towanda.
By faithfully discharging the duties of this posi-
tion, he was promoted to that of clerk, then to
bookkeeper, and finally to that of teller, in which
capacity he served until July, 1903, when he was
tendered the ofifice of cashier in the Citizens' Na-
tional Bank of Windber, Somerset county, Penn-
sylvania, which he served up to his appoint-
ment to his present position in Septem-
ber, 1904. The Nanticoke National Bank was
ctiartered in 1904 with a cash capital of $100,-
000.00. Its president is A. A. Enke, vice-presi-
dent, A. Lape, and there are fifteen directors. At
the beginning of January, 1905, its resources were
$237,389.08, and at the present time — March,
1905 — has reached the sum of $281,800.47.
This growth and development proves conclu-

sively that while yet a young institution, its mat-
ters are conducted in a thoroughly businesslike
and reliable manner. i\Ir. Muir is a member of
Union Lodge, No. 108, Free and Accepted Ala-
sons, of Towanda ; of Union Chapter, No. 161 ;
of Northern Commandery, No. 16: and Irem
Temple, Wilkes-Barre. He is past master of

In 1889 Mr. Muir was married to Hila P.
Willson, of Towanda, who bore him two chil-
dren: Thomas C, January 15, 1891, and Alfred
B., November 24, 1893. Hila P. was one of four
children, three living, namely : Hiram, of Chi-
cago ; Hila P., and Fred, of Wilkes-Barre, Penn-'
sylvania. She is the daughter of Rev. Clark
and Mary Elizabeth (Bliss) Willson. the former
an evangelist, and the latter a sister of P. P.
Bliss, the singer. She has traveled all over the
world, and is known in singing sacred songs as
the Jenny Lind of America. Mr. and Mrs. Will-
son have an adopted daughter, Laura, who is the
wife of the Hon. Richard Brown, of Jersey City,
New Jersey.

R. WILLIS REES, superintendent of the
Elliot McClure colliery, situated at Sibley, Old
Forge borough, which company was organized in
1872, and for which he has been a trusty and re-
liable employee since 1885, a period of two de-
cades, is a native of Wales, born in 1862.

Benjamin Rees, father of R. Willis Rees, was
also a native of Wales^ where he resided during
his boyhood and young manhood. In 1863. hav-
ing decided to test the business opportunities of
the new world, he crossed the broad Atlantic and
upon his arrival in this country located in Hyde
Park, Pennsylvania, where he followed mining
for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Com-
pany. After a residence of five years in Hyde
Park he removed to the borough of Taylor,
where his widow now resides. From 1868 to
1880 he held the position of superintendent for
the Elk Hill Coal and Iron Company, and in the
latter named year assumed the superintendency
of the Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Company,
which then took in the Greenwood and Sibley
mines, remaining with them for three years, up to
1883, when his death was caused by the running
away of a coal car down a slope at the Green-
wood colliery. Mr. Rees understood mining in
in all its departments, was thorough and consci-
entious in the performance of all his duties, and
enjoyed the entire confidence of the companies
for which he worked. He was a member of the
Knights of Pythias, and the Independent Order



of Odd Fellows. His wife, Louise (Willis) Rees,
also a native of Wales, who accompanied him to
this country, bore him six children : Annie, who
became the wife of William H. Slocuni ; R. Wil-
lis, mentioned hereafter : Ada, wife of Dr.
Weston ; John B., Bertha, wife of W. W. Evans ;
and Gertrude, who is a competent and accom-
plished teacher.

R. Willis Rees was reared principally in Prov-
idence, Scranton, and his education was obtained
in the common schools of that locality. His first
experience in business life was gained as clerk,
and shortly afterward he was employed as weigh-
master for the Delaware and Hudson Company.
Later he was employed by the Pennsylvania An-
thracite Coal Company, then by the John Jermyn
Company, and finally by the Elliot J\IcClure
Company, whose service he entered in 1885. For
eighteen years he served in the capacity of book-
keeper, his methods meeting the hearty approval
of his employers, and at the expiration of this
period of time was assigned to his present posi-
tion of superintendent of the colliery situated at
Sibley. There are two openings to the mines, a
shaft sunk two hundred feet deep and a slope.
They employ about six hundred hands, and the
output of coal is about nine hundred tons per
day. Mr. Rees has the entire charge of every-
thing and has so far proved his competency as to
merit the comrhendation of the members of the
company. He is a resident of Old Forge bor-

Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 83 of 130)