Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 91 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 91 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bers of the Whig part}-.

June 16. 1861, Mr. Hull was united in mar-
riage to Lucy A. Lillibridge, of Port Allegheny,
Pennsylvania, and their children are : George
A., born May 10, 1862, a student, resides at
home. Edgar J., born October 25, 1863, a
florist, married Louise Reynolds, and they are
the parents of three children: Edna, Clarence E.,
and Cleo E. Cora R., born September 30, 1865,
died October 25, 1895 : she was the w^ife of Dr.
Frank L. Vansickle. Charles W., born January
6, 1868, died March 30, 1870. Agnes W., born
January 10, 1870. married Charles B. Bean, of
Port Alleghenv, Pennsylvania, a glass cutter by
trade. Lucv A., born February 26, 1872. mar-
ried Dr. William Van Buskirk, and they are the
parents of one child, William. Mary L., born
Alarch 4, 1877, resides at home.

WILLIAM SAMPLE FRACE. One of the
men who are recognized, wherever their lot may
be cast, as leaders in the commercial world, is
William S. Erace, of Clark's Green. The ex-
perience of a quarter of a centurv has placed Mr.
Frace in the assured position which he now oc-
cupies in the communitv in which he resides.

Isaac Frace, a resident of Warren county.
New Jersev, moved to Tannersville, Monroe
county. Pennsylvania, where he remained but
for a brief period. In 1857 he removed to
Clark's Summit, where for about ten vears he
was the proprietor of a hotel. He married Eliz-
abeth Sample, and they were the parents of a
son, William S.. mentioned hereafter. Mr. Frace
was a conscientious and scrupulous man, whose
strict adherence to principle caused him to be
universally respected.

^^^illiam Sample Frace, son of Issac and
Elizabeth (Sample) Frace, was born in 1847.
in ^^'arren county. New Jersey, and was but
ten vears of age when his parents removed to
Clark's Summit. He received his education in
the common schools, and in early manhood en-
tered upon a commercial career. In 1878 he
bousfht out the interest of George W. Decker,
of the firm of Decker Brothers, and conducted
business under the firm name of Frace & Decker
until 1883, when he purchased the interest of
his partner. E. S. Decker. From iS^S to 1802
he had a branch business in Clark's Summit.
Air. Frace is no less earnest and enterprisine as
3 citizen than as a business man. .Since 1878
he has held the postoffice in his store,
and for over twentv vears has held the



438



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



appointment of postmaster to the entire satis-
faction of the patrons of the office. The or-
ganization of the Abington Mutual Fire As-
sociation was mainly owing to his efforts. It
was incorporated June 9, 1S96, since which time
Mr. Frace has filled the office of secretary. He
was at one time a member of the board of school
directors of South Abington township, the man-
ner in which he discharged the duties of the po-
sition being much commended by his fellow-citi-
zens. He belongs to Waverly Lodge, No. 301,
Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Or-
der of Odd Fellows and the Encampnien,t. ■

Mr. Frace married in 1872, Senora L. Park-
er, a native of Clark's Green, and they have two
daughters : Lulu J., wife of A. C. Lamont ; and
S. Elizabeth. Both daughters are graduates of
Wyoming Seminary.

THOMAS E. REDDINGTON. It is doubt-
ful if Lackawanna county numbers among its
citizens one more popular or more deservedly so
than Thomas E. Reddington, of Jessup. He be-
longs to that superior class of naturalized citi-
zens whose loyalty to the land of their birth
goes hand in hand with the allegiance which
they owe to the country of their adoption, and
who never forget, in the strength of the ties
formed in the New World, the more ancient
claims of friends and kindred in the old home.

Thomas E. Reddington (father) was born in
Ireland and married Catherine Dimsay, a native
of the same country. Their family consisted of
five sons and three daughters. Among the for-
mer was Thomas E., mentioned hereafter. All
these children subsequently emigrated to the
United States, and are now residents of Oly-
phant. Mr. and Airs. Reddington, the father
and mother, are both deceased, having lived and
died in their native land.

Thomas E. Reddington, son of Thomas E.
and Catherine (Dimsay) Reddington, was born
in 1841, in county Mayo, Ireland, and in 1865
emigrated to the LTnited States. He came to
Pennsylvania and settled in Lackawanna county,
making his home in 01}phant. There he en-
tered the service of the Delaware and Hudson
Company, and for ten years worked as a miner.
He prospered to such an extent that he was able
to build five houses in a style which rendered
them valuable acquisitions to the borough both
in point of beauty and utility. These houses he
still owns. In 1875 ^^ abandoned mining and
engaged in business as a greengrocer in Oly-
phant. In this enterprise he was very success-
ful and conducted the store for a number of



\ears. The establishment of this business was
not the only momentous undertaking which en-
gaged his attention at the time of his removal
to Jessup. In 1886 he purchased of William
H. Burke the hotel called the Winton House, of
which he became the proprietor, and which he
still owns. This building is of modern construc-
tion and contains every improvement and con-
venience, lacking none of the facilities necessary
to insure the comfort of guests. Mr. Redding-
ton was thoroughly conversant with the wants
of the public and is noted for his skill in sup-
plying them in a manner to satisfy the most fas-
tidious. Order, system and regularity reigned
throughout his hotel, which was justly one of
the most popular in the vicinity, the source of its
success lying in the executive and administra-
tive ability, genial disposition and courteous de-
meanor of the proprietor. In 1905 he leased his
hotel, built a five thousand dollar residence on
lot adjoining hotel and there leads a retired life.
The qualities of a good citizen have always been
prominent traits in the character of Mr. Red-
dington, and that they are appreciated by his
neighbors is shown by the fact that, while a
resident of Olyphant, he served five years as
tax collector for the borough, and for three years
held the ofiBce of treasurer. He is a member of
the Roman Catholic Church of Jessup. In 1903
he presented his church^St. James' — with a
three hundred dollar bell, which will long ring
to his memor}'.

Mr. Reddington married in 1865, j\lary Mo-
ran, a native of county Mayo, Ireland. They
have no children. The duties and responsibil-
ities imposed by kinship have ever been faithfully
fulfilled by Mr. Reddington. He was the first
of his family to emigrate to the United States,
and amid his new surroundings was not unmind-
ful of the welfare of those left behind. It was
by his aid that his brothers and sisters were en-
abled to come to the United States, of which
they are now prosperous and useful citizens. In
1903 Mr. Reddington took a trip to Ireland and
experienced keen emotions of pleasure in find-
ing himself once more in his native land. He
took great delight in revisiting the old scenes,
meeting the companions and friends of his
youth, noting the beneficial changes wrought by
time, and indulging in reminiscences of bygone
days.

AlORRIS DAMD LEWIS, general con-
tractor and liveryman of Peckville, Pennsylva-
nia, is making for himself a record worthy to
be imitated bv the business men of his town.



THE WYO^IING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



439



B.eginning his career with less than nothing, in
money, but with a large stock of perseverance
and pluck, he has succeeded in purchasing a fine
property and establishing a successful and per-
manent business in Peckville along his lines. He
is a native of the town in which he now resides,
the date of his birth being January 3, 1869. He
is a son of David T. and Hannah H. (Hub-
bard) Lewis, and grandson of Thomas Lewis.

Thomas Lewis (grandfather) was a native
of \\'ales, a miner by occupation, and while in
the pursuit of this line of work in his native
country was killed. His widow, with her two
sons David T. and John, emigrated to the United
States in 1833. David T. is mentioned in the
following paragraph ; and John, deceased, was
a tailor by trade.

David T. Lewis (father) was born in Wales
in 1825, and in 1833, when eight years of age,
was brought to this country by his mother, as
above stated. He was a school teacher during
the early years of his manhood and achieved a
large degree of success in this vocation. He
subsequently followed various pursuits, in each
of which he earned 'a comfortable livelihood. He
served two terms in the borough of Blakely as
justice of the peace ; served as alderman in the
city of Scranton ; served as constable, assessor
and road commissioner in the village of Peck-
ville, and assessor in the village of Providence.
!Mr. Lewis is a member of the Baptist Church,
and an adherent of the Republican party. His
wife, Hannah H. (Hubbard) Lewis, who was
born in Scott township, Lackawanna county,
Pennsylvania, in 1826, bore him the following
named children : Helen V., wife of the Rev.
George A. Cure, of the Methodist Episcopal
Church and Wvoming conference ; Frank H.,
and Isl. D., mentioned hereafter. Both ]\Ir.
Lewis and his wife are living at the present time
(1906).

M. D. Lewis was reared and educated in his
native town, Peckville, and Providence. His
first venture in business was selling papers in
Providence, when he was only twelve years of
age. He continued this occupation for four
years, and during that period of time lost but
one week. His next occupation was driving a
team for a grocer in Providence, with whom he
rems,ined one year, and the following two years
he worked on a farm. He then began driving
a team for his father and continued at this labor
until he attained his majority. Thus far he had
been a hired boy and a hired man, and the
thought occurred to him "if others could engage
in business, hire help and make it pay, why



not I'r" In 1S91 he purchased a team and
wagon, for which he went into debt, but soon
earned sufficient to pay for them, and from that
time on he hired others to work for him. He
located in Peckville, where he carried on team-
ing, but after one year he returned to Provi-
dence and resided there one year. On August
6, 1895, he returned to Peckville, where he pur-
chased a property on which he built a home the
following year. He next erected a barn in 1897,
and in 1903, because of the increase of the busi-
ness, he was compelled to purchase more land
and enlarge his barn room to take care of his
increasing stock. During the same year he
added a livery stable to his business of contract-
ing, and he now keeps fifteen well-bred and
stylish horses, whose glossy coats indicate care
and feed. His turnouts, ten in number, will
compare favorably with those of any city. This
does not include a tallyho, whicn is frequently
used by his wealthy patrons.

In 1890 Air. Lewis married Emma B. Lowry,
daughter of Wright Lowry. No issue. For
his second wife he married Agnes E. Williams,
daughter of Edward Williams. The ceremony
was performed in 1897. To this union there
were born three children : Mildred, Paul, de-
ceased ; and Freda Lewis. Mr. Lewis, like his
father, is a Baptist in religion and a Republican
in politics.

HENRY M. WILLIA:\IS, ex-burgess of
Nanticoke, is one of the well known citizens of
that borough who has entered the arena of poli-
tics and became successful in municipal affairs.
He was born in Wales, in i860, only child of
Silas and j\Iary (Jones) Williams, natives of
Wales, from whose shores they emigrated to the
United States in 1862, when their child was two
years of age, locating in the Wyoming valley,
Pennsylvania. Silas Williams was a miner of
considerable experience and prominence. His
death occurred at Nanticoke about 1868. His
widow is living at the present time (1906), aged
eighty years.

Henry ]\I. Williams was reared in the Wyo-
ming valley, and his education was acquired
principally in the night schools adjacent to his
home, where he became conversant with the nec-
essary branches to insure success in life. Like
the majority brought up in the mining district
he took to that occupation readily, beginning as
a door-tender and passing through the various
stages of mining until thoroughly qualified in
all and finally gaining the responsible position
of fire boss, in which capacity- he was employed



440



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



by the Susquehanna Coal Company, resigning
in 1898. He was for years the proprietor of the
WilHams Hotel, located at the corner of Market
and Broad streets, Nanticoke, but April i, 1906,
removed to No. 102 Market street, where he has
■one of the well known and best patronized hos-
teleries in that section of the county. The es-
teem in which he is held by his fellow-citizens
was evidenced by the fact that in 1900 he was
•elected to the highest office the town could con-
fer upon him — that of chief burgess, in which
he served up to 1903. Politically he votes the
Republican ticket, the principles of which party
he has upheld since attaining his majority, and
fraternally is a member of the Knights of Pyth-
ias and the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

In 1882 Mr. Williams married Mary L.
Davis, whose death occurred February, 1883.
One child was the issue of this union, Silas, who
ably assists his father in the management of his
business. In 1896 Mr. Williams chose for his
second wife Mary A. Morris, who died ]\Iarch
2, 1898.

JOHN P. WALKER, M. D. Among the
well-known and skillful physicians of Lacka-
wanna county Dr. John P. Walker, of Scranton.
holds an honorable position. Dr. Walker is of
Irish parentage, and is alike loyal to the land to
which he is bound by ties of iDlood and that in
which his lot has been cast by the accident of
birth.

Johri J. and Catherine (O'Connor) Walker,
both natives of Ireland, emigrated to the United
States in 1864, and settled in Pennsylvania. Mr.
Walker engaged in commercial pursuits, in
which he was successful. Of the nine children
born to him and his wife four are now living:
Two daughters, one of whom is the wife of
Thomas Kearney and the other of James Mc-
Donald, of Dunmore, Pennsylvania ; John P.,
mentioned at length hereafter; and Patrick H.

John P. Walker, son of John J. and Cath-
erine (O'Connor) Walker, was born April 30,
1869, in Olyphant, Pennsylvania, and received
a common school education in his native town.
After leaving school he engaged in various oc-
cupations, but always with a view to ultimate
advancement. He entered Wood's Business Col-
lege of Scranton, from which institution he
graduated with high and recognized honor in
1892. He immediately matriculated in Balti-
more Medical College, from which he received
in 1896 the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He
then returned to Scranton, where he has since
resided, and where by persistent effort and su-



perior skill he has built up for himself one of
the largest fields of practice in the city of his
abode.

The professional labors and interests of Dr.
Walker are wide and far-reaching, both in their
scope and in their results. In 1901 he obtained
a charter from the state for the establishment
of a correspondence school in medicine, surgery
and nursing, for the use of which he is now
compiling a text-book treating of these three
subjects. Dr. Walker is the inventor of an in-
strument which has long been greatly desired
and needed by the medical profession. This is
a bullet prober and packer, and is used in cases
of hemorrhage or in cleansing the tissues of a
dangerous wound, thus preventing the possibil-
ity of blood poisoning. By this invention Dr.
Walker has conferred a benefit not only on the
members of his profession, but on the world at
large. The demands upon his time and thoughts
are increased by the appointments which he holds
of examining physician for the L. C. B. A. of
Scranton, and also for the Brotherhood of Rail-
way Men. He is a member of the Society of
Elks of Scranton. Dr. Walker has built for
himself a comfortable and spacious house, in
which he has fitted up and set apart certain
rooms to be used as a private hospital. He is
a close student, and is the owner of an excep-
tionally fine medical library.

Patrick H. Walker, mentioned above as the
brother of Dr. John P. Walker, was born March
7, 1878, in Olyphant, where he received his pri-
mary education in the common schools, and sub-
sequently took advantage of the higher schools
of Scranton. He graduated from Baltimore
Medical College in the class of 1904. While
pursuing his course of study and during vaca-
tions he availed himself of the practice and op-
portunities for observation afforded by the best
hospitals of Baltimore. He is now practicing
with his brother. Dr. John P. Walker.

WILLIAM C. FAHRINGER, architect and
builder, junior member of the firm of Isaiah
Fahringer & Son, of Nanticoke, is a native of
Columbia county, Pennsylvania, born Mav 4-
1871.

The paternal great-grandfather was Harmon
Fahringer, a native of France, who married a
woman born in Holland. They emigrated to
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in company with
his two brothers, who became separated from
one another and were never heard of afterward.
Harmon and wife — the American emigrants —
were the parents of twelve sens, all of vi-hom



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



441



grew to manhood, and one named Lucas was the
grandfather of Wilham C. Fahringer. He mar-
ried Lena Gabel. They were both natives of
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, where they be-
came prominently identified with agricultural
pursuits. Their family consisted of twelve chil-
dren, all of whom were sons, and they became
worthy citizens of this commonwealth, some of
them filling offices of trust and responsibility.
Lena (Gabel) Fahringer was one of a family of
sixteen children. She was born April 8, 1820,
at Centralia, Pennsylvania, and died at Nanti-
coke, November 15, 1905.

Isaiah Fahringer, father of William C.
Fahringer, was born in Columbia county, Penn-
sylvania, 1848. In that neighborhood he was
reared, educated, learned the trade of builder,
and resided up to 1887, in which year he re-
moved with his familv to Nanticoke, Luzerne
county. In 1887, in company with Frank
Fahringer, and since then the business has been
ufacture of sashes, blinds and doors, and this
connection continued until 1897, when his son
William C. purchased the interest of Frank
Fahringer and since then the business has been
conducted under the style of Isaiah Fahringer
& Son. Mr. Fahringer was united in marriage
to Clara Doane, who bore him two sons, Robert
and William C. Mr. and Mrs. Fahringer reside
in Brunswick, Pennsylvania.

After receiving a practical education in the
■common schools of Nanticoke William C. Fahrin-
ger took up the study of architecture in the In-
ternational Correspondence School of Scranton,
which course of training thoroughly qualified
him for his present position in the firm of which
he is the junior member, having purchased the
interest of Frank Fahringer in 1897. The firm
liave extensive shops, where they manufacture
sashes, blinds and doors, and they have always
on hand a choice supply of builders' materials.
The work of the firm extends over a large part
of the Wyoming valley, and they have erected
a large proportion of the leading buildings in
Nanticoke. They make a specialty of inside
hardwood finish. Mr. Fahringer is a member
of Order of Heptasophs, and Independent Or-
■der of Odd Fellows, being a past noble grand
and a member of the Encampment. Like his
forefathers he takes an active part in the Meth-
odist Church and casts his vote with the Repub-
lican party.

Mr. Fahringer married in 1891, Rosina Har-
vey, a native of England. Their children are :
Karl, born 1895: Irma, born 1898; W'ilbur, born
1902, and Bessie, born 1904.



MORGAN J. REES. No man in the Wyo-
ming valley is better known or more highly re-
spected than ^Morgan J. Rees, one of the leading
business men of Nanticoke, whose successful ca-
reer is a striking example of what can be ac-
complished by industry, perseverance and pluck.
He was born in Carmarthenshire, South \\'ales.
May 7, 185 1, and was there reared and educated.

In 1870, when nineteen years of age, being
attracted bv the possibilities oft'ered to young
men in the business world of the United States,
he left his native land and became an adopted
son of this great and glorious country. He lo-
cated in Frostburg, Maryland, and there en-
tered the employ of a grocer. In 1872 he re-
moved to Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, settling
at Jeanesville, where he entered the employ of
the Spring Mountain Coal Company, with whom
he remained fifteen years, nine of which he served
in the capacity of foreman, discharging his du-
ties, with fidelity and promptitude. In 1887, at
the expiration of this period of time, he located
in Nanticoke and engaged in mercantile pur-
suits. He opened a store on IMarket street,
which proved most remunerative, and in 1898
opened another store, both of which are under
his personal supervision and management. In
addition to this property he is the owner of two
double blocks, three single houses and several
business houses besides, from which he derives
a goodly rental — about four thousand dollars per
annum. As a citizen Mr. Rees is pro.gressive
and public-spirited, willing to promote all plans
which have for their object the welfare of the
people. He is a member of the Congregational
Church of Nanticoke, and a member of the Or-
der of Eagles. He gives his political allegiance
to the Prohibition party.

In 1881, while a resident of Jeanesville, Mr.
Rees married Almina Meek, a native of that
town, and the issue of this union was five chil-
dren : John H., Morgan G., Anna B., Alfred and
Leroy. The mother of these children died Jan-
uary 9, 1893. Mr. Reese married for his sec-
ond wife Mary Meek, of Reading, Pennsylva-
nia, the ceremony being performed in 1894. They
are the parents of one daughter, Almina May,
born May 27, 1896.

JA?iIES V. DALY. Success in business life
depends so entirely upon individual merit that
when one has attained a place of prominence,
as has James V. Daly, a representative business
man of Nanticoke, it is an unmistakable evidence
of ability, natural and acquired.

The parents of James \'. Daly are ^lichael



442



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



and Elizabeth (Keating) Daly, who were united
in marriage ]\Iay 24, 1854, and whose family
consisted of five children, namely : William, born
February 28, 1855 ; John, born April 25, 1857,
deceased; James V., born January 31, 1859, men-
tioned hereafter ; Martin, born December 2,
1862.; and Michael, born January, 1867. In 1869
Mr. Daly lost his life in the great mine disas-
ter, and this sad occurrence threw his widow and
four children upon their own resources. In 1884
Mrs. Daly, with the assistance of her two sons —
James V. and Michael — turned their attention to
the mercantile business, which has developed bv
good management into one of the best patronized
and most profitable stores in Nanticoke. Eliza-
beth (Keating) Daly was born in Ireland, De-
cember 14, 1836, a daughter of John and Cath-
erine (Kealey) Keating, who were the parents
of seven children: Bridget, Elizabeth (Mrs.
Daly) , James A., Patrick, deceased ; John, de-
ceased ; Alichael and Catherine Keating. John
Keating (father) was born in Queens county,
Ireland, in 1803. In 1837 he and his wife emi-
grated from their native isle to the United
States, locating in Minersville, Schuylkill countv,
Pennsylvania, where their children were born
and where they remained up to 1856, when they
removed to Luzerne county, locating at Nanti-
coke, where Mr. Keating engaged in mining and
farming. He was a man of marked intelligence,
a deep thinker, took a prominent part in the so-
cial improvements of the borough of Nanticoke,
and his influence was always felt on the side of
right. He was an enthusiastic supporter of Gen.
Winfield Scott, one of the great American gen-
erals, who was a candidate of the Whig party
for presidency of the United States in 1852, but
was defeated. Mr. Keating died at his home
in Nanticoke, May, 1879. His wife passed away
May, 1884. When John Keating first came to
the state his place was on a stage line and was
the headquarters for all the emigrants, whom he
kept without pay until such time as they could
locate, and many of the descendants of these peo-
ple he also aided. This act of generous hospi-



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 91 of 130)